Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Just in case you didn't have enough to worry about...

The most comprehensive survey ever into the state of the planet concludes that human activities threaten the Earth's ability to sustain future generations.

The report says the way society obtains its resources has caused irreversible changes that are degrading the natural processes that support life on Earth. This will compromise efforts to address hunger, poverty and improve healthcare.

The Millennium Ecosystem Assessment was drawn up by 1,300 researchers from 95 nations over a period of four years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4391835.stm

This study (the MA) has cost some $20m to put together. It was funded by the Global Environment Facility, the United Nations Foundation, the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, the World Bank and others.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
An article recently featured in Scientific American claimed that the start of agriculture was the start of global warming. Obviously the Industrial Revolution accelerated the process, but isn't it interesting that we would be making a difference even without combustion. Of course it would have taken longer, but wouldn't the effect eventually be identical?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It seems to be quite dyer information. The problem will be to make any positive progress without ruining economic progress.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
igucl said:
An article recently featured in Scientific American claimed that the start of agriculture was the start of global warming. Obviously the Industrial Revolution accelerated the process, but isn't it interesting that we would be making a difference even without combustion. Of course it would have taken longer, but wouldn't the effect eventually be identical?

I have heard the theory that the great die-off started 100,000 ish years ago when man began running around with torches burning things and that the fossil record is particularly compelling in Australia where the change is newer.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
[u.s. media coverage of this]
look over there - it's michael jackson!
[/u.s. media coverage of this]

i hope this and other related warnings spur serious public discussion and action, but i'm not holding my breath...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.