PDA

View Full Version : FCPX likers; why do you like it? (positive contributors only)

iphonepiephone
Jun 27, 2011, 08:19 PM
Hey!

Right, before I am accused of anything, I am paid by NOONE to post this thread - I'm just sick until I cry, of dull and negative duplicate posts and comments about how "terrible" FCPX is... so I decided to ask the FCPX likers and lovers what they like, or LOVE, about FCPX.

I have a late '09 MacBook, and it runs great, but I can't do anything yet, and that's probably because I've hardly space to move because of the 13" screen (and I have no DVI dongle yet). I am also spoiled with an i3-550 PC with 7Gb ram, so the MB is slow by comparison.

I plan to try it out fully in the next 24 hours, and I know I'll love it, because I love iMovie '07 and upward.

RIGHT! This thread... is... forrrrr... POSITIVE comments, and for people to comment about what they LIKE or LOVE about Final Cut Pro X, so please post your screenshots/YouTube demos/tips etc...

<<=================== Here ===================>>

Thanks people, I look forward to reading these :)

PS: KEEP THE POLITICS OUT PLEASE

Chaos123x
Jun 27, 2011, 08:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I like that it uses all my processors in my Mac Pro to make it super fast. I like the intergration with motion. I like the syncing features with dual system sound. Love the backround rendering.

The keyword smart bins are growing on me but I'm still not sure how it works.

Like the scopes view better than FCP 7.

Really like the audio filters available.

Like how the standard short cuts don't mess with F keys that you use for normal OS functions.

Like the title tool much better than the standard FCP tool, would be cool to have some livetype stuff in it but less cheesy.

Like how the new compressor uses all the processors without using a quick cluster or exporting a reference file first.

The color correction tool is pretty good, but could be improved a little.

Overall the improvements are really nice and the AV Foundation they built this around is rock solid. We just need them to add back the pro features that are missing and actually publicly announce they are working on it with a some type of road map or timeline.

Overall it's a great foundation to build a far better NLE for the future that will be light years ahead of FCP 7 or anything else on the market. But for right now it simply won't work for a good portion of pro editors work flow.

Alucardx03
Jun 28, 2011, 02:28 AM
I think it's really great for personal videos. The organizational features are so easy to use-- they just make a lot of sense. I've already ingested quite a few HDV tapes that I had been meaning to get to.

And, with my new top-of-the-line iMac, compliments of my employer, everything is so incredibly quick.

I still use FCP 6 for my work stuff (more complicated-- need multicam for example), but I can't go back when it comes to my personal stuff. Absolutely love it.

LethalWolfe
Jun 28, 2011, 02:37 AM
Some things in FCPX that I wish were in FCP 7. ;)

Improved audio waveforms.
Background rendering and transcoding.
Unlimited undo's and auto-saving after every command
Increased use of metadata
Rigging (haven't had a chance to play with this yet but I like the idea).
Handling of 4K media

Lethal

initialsBB
Jun 28, 2011, 02:44 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I LOVE all the 64bit an Open CL goodness. Everything is very fast on my MacPro. Renders utilise all cores, and the background rendering is amazing.

I LOVE realtime FX previews. LOVE IT.

I really like the timeline, although it still feels very quirky and there are things I have not understood yet.

I LOVE that little list down by the left side of the timeline (haven't looked in the manual what it's called yet). Shot list, to do list, title list, it's bloody brilliant.

I LOVE all the new audio timeline possibilities, easy fades and the like, although I couldn't find a way showing any out of sync clips.

I LOVE that I can press play on an edit and while it's rolling, go digging into the iTunes media to preview songs and find just the right track for the edit.

I LOVE compound clips, though I have yet to master it's subtleties.

I'm sure I'll find more but I haven't dug through the whole layer of new stuff yett

initialsBB
Jun 28, 2011, 02:45 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh... I forgot to mention the single feature that could have sold it to me : the END of save and auto-save, stunning.

grooveattack
Jun 28, 2011, 04:13 AM
Speed improvements! i am finally seeing my Pro's power. i cant believe people have been happily using FCP7 and being ok that it hardly uses any of their machines.

Auditions is great! helps me find the best shot without having to organise a timeline with alternatives.

Compound clips keeps my workspace tidy. its a good way to keep a todo list of your film as well. if a section is finished compound it, if your still working have it expanded. brilliant!

i really like the new final cut and everyone that i have spoken to face to face really likes it (only seems the internet hates it) looking forward to seeing how apple expands and grows it.

grooveattack
Jun 28, 2011, 04:15 AM
[SIZE=1]

I LOVE that little list down by the left side of the timeline (haven't looked in the manual what it's called yet). Shot list, to do list, title list, it's bloody brilliant.

Its a timeline index. and a fantastic idea!

jabbawok
Jun 28, 2011, 07:43 AM
Nice thread. I was getting a little bored of all the hate out there.
I bet the same people would be moaning if it was just the previous version with some tweaks, like they did about 10.6 verses 10.5.

The price is amazing.
It's pro software for an amateur price.

Blipp
Jun 28, 2011, 08:17 AM
I haven't purchased it yet because I do believe it's still missing some key features but looking only at the package that is there and not at what's missing I think it's a fantastic start. I'm all for software that changes and improves my workflow if it can legitimately prove to me that the changes are in fact for the better. FCPX feels to me like they are trying to get technology out of the way and allow your creativity to flow more freely. I love the idea of that. It's an imperfect first attempt as of now but I'm cautiously optimistic that in 12 to 18 months time this will be a platform I'll be excited to adopt. I'm sure I'll pick it up in it's current form before too long and start learning its nuances but as excited as it makes me it still isn't ready for prime time.

GeekOFComedy
Jun 28, 2011, 09:47 AM
I like due to it helps out when fixing a scripting errors in real world, I produce a video where I talk about the latest tech news and if the stories begin with Apple and jump to microsoft and nintendo then back to apple, during editing I habit of just editing as I go so when I see that I go back to talking about Apple I can Razor it out of the clip and push it back to the rest of the Apple news without disturbing the graphics I did in place along the way because of the magnetic timeline. Compressor integration is done better, before FCP-X I never used compressor in 7 as It didn't work well for me and usually just did a Quicktime export + Episode encoder Pro but Compressor works purdy good for me!

Badradio
Jun 28, 2011, 10:11 AM
Great thread. While I fully sympathise with all of the pros whose confidence in Apple's "roadmap" has been undermined, it's a shame that some of the amazing work the devs have done has been completely overshadowed by the omissions.

Range-based keywording, Colour Match and Auditions are great, but my major "like" is the sheer speed of this app. I'm running it on a late 2008 MBP 2.4Ghz, and it handles 1080p footage very well once you've let it transcode.

I'm shooting/editing a semi-pro project in a couple of weeks, and FCPX is going to let me burn through the edit a lot quicker than I expected.

Love the new UI too.

FSMBP
Jun 28, 2011, 12:02 PM
My favorite: Clip Connections & the whole Magnetic Timeline.

There were times in FCP6 that I'd have 6-7 additional audio tracks, and if I moved a clip around & for some reason didn't catch all the associated audio tracks, it obviously got out of sync.

Clip connections have solved that with no extra work (not from what I saw as I played around with FCPX).

WiLLGT09
Jun 28, 2011, 12:38 PM
I bought it on release day, and I have been very satisfied with it. I still have a FCS3 on a separate partition for older projects...if necessary. However, for the any new videos I produced will be done in the FCPX "suite."

I shoot almost exclusively on Canon HDDSLR cameras, so the background rendering was a HUGE selling point for me. Also the built-in audio syncing feature like PluralEyes is also going to be very nice (although I haven't needed to use it yet).

The whole magnetic timeline thing is great, and clips connections are nice (but will take some getting used to after all this time in FCP7).

Also, although a small change, I LOVE the single-window of the UI. I freaking hated that about FCS3. I wish the new Compressor was single-windowed too.

Also, price. I could have paid $1000+ for CS5.5 to get Premiere Pro with Mercury Engine for the native H.264 support, but I mean, $299 (or $400 for everything)! That's awesome! Although I am technically producing video professionally, I use and buy all my own gear, so it was a big plus for me with FCPX.

Overall I am pleased. The main thing is that I just need to get more accustomed to it. Fortunately, all the features the more studio-pros are ranting over don't apply to me. I work in the journalism industry, and the videos I produce are a one-man-band type of deal. I shoot and edit everything myself.