PDA

View Full Version : Icarer Slim Series -open bezel, formed back, sleep

cz9h3d
Jun 27, 2011, 09:50 PM
http://www.case2case.net/icarer-genuine-leather-ipad-2-smart-cover.html

This one looks interesting to me. Plastic formed back without totally open ends, integrated smart cover, open bezel. Sort of like an STM Skinny, but with leather and cutouts rather than open ends. Leather on the back reminds me of a Switcheasy Canvas (but not nearly as thick).

I'm very intrigued, and have found virtually no discussions or reviews on it.

This may be viable, if it's not overly thick.

gigaguy
Jun 28, 2011, 02:34 PM
I really like the icarer case! except for the tongue flap. the red with black trim is striking.
oops, did I just order it, yes. but mainstream black.
I swore I'd wait for others to be guinea pigs, but if this case is slim, and the tongue flap is not too intrusive, it may be the perfect one. I love the no bezel coverage and no big corner clips, leather, rubber trim for grip and more comfortable holding. I haven't seen another full folio like it. for $35 I figured why not.
I still love my Yoobao 2, but the edges get uncomfortable cutting into your palm holding with one hand, and I'd like a secured front flap, and the rubber grip on the edges. we'll see in 3! weeks!

cz9h3d
Jul 9, 2011, 07:09 PM
Ordered the Icarer slim style case from Amazon (from Camsdigital). Less expensive and free shipping compared to case2case. I really like the design, and will post a review with pictures. Alas, no sleep function on what I received. Yet another manufacturer with revisions. Now I just have to decide if it's worth the hassle and another $10 to order from case2case. Thank goodness for easy Amazon returns :(

gigaguy
Jul 10, 2011, 09:22 AM
Hmm, I also ordered the case linked above from CamDigital. I had to pay shipping. But, they sent me the wrong iCarer case. I wanted the one with the rubber trim, and inset leather and it has the tongue flap for closure.
they sent me a basic slim black leather case. I returned it for a refund.

So you got the one in the link? It looks very nice, but I'm now gonna wait on the new Yoobao that is similarly designed.
How is the rubber trim, and quality, fit and finish?

TOYSTRY
Jul 10, 2011, 02:15 PM
I had one of these. It was the most incredible fit but the flap and the faux leather material wasn't quite what I expected.

cz9h3d
Jul 10, 2011, 05:44 PM
Okay, some detailed pictures for those considering this case, which has very little information available online. I've included my Yoobao (revision2) in the attached as a comparison. Overall I really like the case. Gives me the level of protection I want with a formed back, yet still very very thin - as thin as my Yoobao. It indicates real leather, but not as soft as my Yoobao. The back easily snaps onto the iPad (see closeup). It does take a little effort to get it off the iPad, but that's fine for me. I like the rubber edge on the rear, which makes it feel nice to hold. And obviously one does have to insert the tab for closure and/or the stand function. A little stiff - not sure if it will get easier as it's used, but I'm fine with it.

As I previously mentioned, this version did not have the sleep function, so it's going back to Camsdigital/Amazon. I already ordered the same thing, but the updated version with the magnets. I selected an Ebay seller for the best price ($38.99, but I had some eBay bucks to bring the price down a few $$). Case2case sells it, but the shipping time looks like it comes direct from HongKong too, so I saved a few $$).

The only other I was considering was the Chinao Vaja Style synthetic leather smart case. It's very simliar, but I thought perhaps the formed back on the Icarer may be more substantial. I like it, so now I just have to wait a couple weeks for the updated version.

I do like my Yoobao, but the iPad just doesn't stay inserted very well. I even taped a cardboard extension to make the flap longer (as was suggested in this forum), but it still isn't satisfactory.

cz9h3d
Jul 10, 2011, 05:49 PM
Here are a few more - geez, should have wiped the screen for that first one above! Note that my screen protector is not adhering well along the edges. Not a problem for the Yoobao - I have a couple different brands to try out now to make it look better in this case.

cz9h3d
Jul 10, 2011, 05:54 PM
I didn't have one corner fully inserted / snapped in, so the top edge view shows slightly more silver than it really has. Here is an updated picture.

gigaguy
Jul 10, 2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks for pix, I tried to get one, I guess Camsdigital only screwed up my order. Now I may wait for the newest Yoobao with same bottom style, and no tongue flap. Still want to see a closeup of the back and the rubber.
Most interested now, in formed bottom, rubber edge. but would love magnetic closure too.

cz9h3d
Jul 11, 2011, 07:29 AM
Now I may wait for the newest Yoobao with same bottom style, and no tongue flap.

Is there a thread on this new Yoobao?
I'll post some pics of the back..... Have to keep unboxing it for more pics!

cz9h3d
Jul 17, 2011, 10:53 PM
My updated version with sleep has made it to Chicago. Should have in a day or two.

cz9h3d
Jul 18, 2011, 07:35 PM
My updated version with sleep has made it to Chicago. Should have in a day or two.

My new case with the sleep function arrived. It has "slim series smart leather case for ipad2" stenciled on the rubber back - not obtrusive, light lettering.

Anyways, could not see any magnets in the cover, unlike my Yoobao. Sleep works great....too great. If I fold the cover completely back, and hold it just so, it puts iPad to sleep. I'll have to live with it a while tEECee how big of an issue it is.

gigaguy
Jul 18, 2011, 08:16 PM
except for the tongue flap this case has almost all the features I want, but mag closure. How is the rubber trim? Grippy? like plastic?, slippery? I ordered one but got the wrong one and returned it. The red one looks amazing too. but for now I'm waiting on the similar new Yoobao with rubber trim and leather.
where did you get yours? I see them on ebay. There's another type icarer on ebay now called ICARER High fiber smart leather case for ipad 2, $35. not leather.
it looks to be the same as the $10 Monoprice case. wow, price hike.

here's the new leather Yoobao with rubber trim.
http://www.yoobao.com/en/product.asp?b_id=126&m_id=160&a_id=360

cz9h3d
Jul 19, 2011, 01:07 PM
The Yoobao looks nice. Although from the pictures it appears as though the back cover doesn't quite come up the sides all the way - leaving just a little bit exposed. I do like the speaker cover.

I got my iCareer (the second one with sleep) from eBay seller dcone_us. It came very fast from China (9 days I think).

The rubber trim feels good. It has some grip to it - but as it only covers the edge, you really don't hang onto the case using it.

So far I like the tongue and the security it provides to keep the cover closed - but I can see where a magnetic closure would be nice - do they exist with exposed bezel designs?

In regards to the cover putting the iPad to sleep inadvertently - this only seems to happen when I fold the cover back, and hold the iPad in a landscape mode. If I want to hold by the bottom, I'm now putting the cover tight close to the iPad, and putting it to sleep. I think this will be a minimal issue for me. Give me a week and then I'll know.

Anyways - I really like this case, and for the price ($38) I've yet to see another that does all I want (formed back, covers all edges, cover stays closed, sleep, don't want to snap it in/out for viewing).

gigaguy
Jul 19, 2011, 02:08 PM
Version 1 of the Yoobao leather executive had the same problem with activating on/off when the cover was folded against the back. they fixed it so maybe other manufacturers will do the same. On/off works with the Yoobao and it has 1/2" of the bezel covered/
The nature of online buying, you don't know til you order it, but the brick stores sell mostly uninteresting cases IMO.
I still luvst after the red icarer. I like the rubber edge cause when I hold ipad in one hand reading, this will help. my yoobao case has a seamed edge that digs into the hand after a while.

MacBpro
Aug 28, 2011, 03:13 PM
but this case is still to bulky in my standard ... so i stay with Smart Cover :rolleyes:

honney3211
Sep 22, 2011, 10:41 PM
but this case is still to bulky in my standard ... so i stay with Smart Cover :rolleyes:

Any image of yours?

ToBeFair
Sep 28, 2011, 02:31 AM
Long time listener, first time caller...
I registered to this forum just to post this advice to anyone else out there who was researching iPad2 cases; "Buy it!"
The iCarer looked a great product and when I took delivery, it was even better than I expected.
The criteria I was shopping for were:

Slim
Light
Stiff front and back protection
Extra corner and edge protection
Texture for gripping
Controls access
Looks good
Looks different

Scores well on every count. Happy to recommend it to other people researching.

Cheers.

honney3211
Sep 28, 2011, 10:32 PM
And the Icarer Genuine Flip Leather iphone 4 Case is also great.