PDA

View Full Version : video of working thunderbolt by Lacie

philipma1957
Jun 28, 2011, 06:32 AM
http://www.slashgear.com/lacie-little-big-disk-with-thunderbolt-hands-on-video-24161210/

shows a short video of a macbook pro with 2 lacie thunderbolts drives and a monitor . no word on booting . the drives are smoking fast. these would be nice with a new mini with t-bolt port

Minicube
Jun 28, 2011, 09:47 AM
Pretty cool setup.

I have a question about T-bolt. Is the big draw the fact that the bus is as fast as that of the internal drive? So that if Apple ships a pokey 5400 rpm drive in the next Mini, a person could attach a SSD (or 7200 rpm raid) and boot from that instead with no speed penalty for it being an external drive?

Nanker/Phelge
Jun 28, 2011, 09:51 AM
Yes, if Apple decides to make Thunderbolt bootable like they have with Firewire 800...

In the case of an SSD, it could theoretically be even faster than an internal drive as SATA evolves. Currently, under SATA Rev III, drives max out at 6 Gb/s and with TBs I/O currently maxed out at 10 Gb/s there is only room to go up.

The only reason I can see them not doing so is to make an extra couple bucks off of people that want to order the BTO options with SSDs.

philipma1957
Jun 28, 2011, 10:31 AM
Pretty cool setup.

I have a question about T-bolt. Is the big draw the fact that the bus is as fast as that of the internal drive? So that if Apple ships a pokey 5400 rpm drive in the next Mini, a person could attach a SSD (or 7200 rpm raid) and boot from that instead with no speed penalty for it being an external drive?

absolutely in fact 3x faster then sata II. you can have a large fast external ssd or hdd as your osx/files and the internal is just for a cloned backup.. Now that apple made the internal drive hard to change a faster external that boots would be sweet.

Minicube
Jun 28, 2011, 06:13 PM
Man, that sounds great. I've also read about the possibility of an external video card via T-bolt. By then the Mini will start to look like a Frankenmac, but who cares if it's blazing fast!

Stan Mikulenka
Jun 29, 2011, 02:09 AM
Hi,
"Yes, if Apple decides to make Thunderbolt bootable like they have with Firewire 800..."

What that supposed to mean?

And secondly, the TB is too slow to use any video cards there...