PDA

View Full Version : iPad 2 Display Dock Replicates Apple Retail Store Experience

MacRumors
Jun 28, 2011, 02:33 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/28/ipad-2-display-dock-replicates-apple-retail-store-experience/)

Released earlier this month by newPCgadgets, the iPad 2 Display Dock (http://newpcgadgets.com/products/ipad_pedestal/index.html) claims to replicate the Apple retail store iPad 2 experience by offering a clear acrylic display block for the latest iPad, holding the device at an angle in a sleek enclosure for ease of interaction.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/ipad_2_display_dock.jpg

In addition to the iPad 2, the dock also contains an upright docking station for holding an iPhone or iPod touch.Now you can dock your iPad 2 and iPhone just like the professionals do at the Apple Store. The new iPad 2 Display Dock is designed out of high-quality clear acrylic and provides the optimum viewing angle for your iPad 2 while also docking your iPhone (or iPod).Priced at $74.95, the iPad 2 Display Dock may not be for everyone, but it is an interesting product that appears to do a decent job of replicating the clean lines and aesthetics of Apple's own product displays.

Article Link: iPad 2 Display Dock Replicates Apple Retail Store Experience (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/28/ipad-2-display-dock-replicates-apple-retail-store-experience/)

Macopotamus
Jun 28, 2011, 02:36 PM
why?

macduke
Jun 28, 2011, 02:37 PM
why?

Because the company can get away with selling a $2 block of acrylic for $75. And people will buy it. That's why.

chainprayer
Jun 28, 2011, 02:40 PM
Now where can I buy an authentic Genius Bar, complete with stools?

jowie
Jun 28, 2011, 02:41 PM
why?
To add to your ultimate Apple Store Playset experience!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/looflirpa/e8bb/

Gav2k
Jun 28, 2011, 02:42 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That picture is either doctor'd or they are showing pictures of an actual apple store display stand.

Mr. Chewbacca
Jun 28, 2011, 02:43 PM
I think they just make stuff like this so I can say I'm not a total crazy fan-boy.. I'm not trying to make my office look like an apple store.

OK..... so I waited in line for hours to get the new phone and stayed up late waiting to be able to order the new MBPthe minute it came out...

I DID NOT buy that stupid thing.. totally normal, I am :rolleyes:

oheckyeah
Jun 28, 2011, 02:48 PM
Because the company can get away with selling a $2 block of acrylic for $75. And people will buy it. That's why.

don't forget about the $0.75 cord coming out of the back.

michaelsviews
Jun 28, 2011, 03:07 PM
Now where can I buy an authentic Genius Bar, complete with stools?

IKEA, Genius's are extra

Atkins
Jun 28, 2011, 03:42 PM
My thoughts exactly. Looks neat though.

praetorian909
Jun 28, 2011, 03:58 PM
So how do the Apple displays (and this accessory) charge the iPad? They both don't use the dock connector...

Was just kinda wondering if Apple is using inductive chargers for their retail store iPad displays, or if there was something else I was missing.

*LTD*
Jun 28, 2011, 04:29 PM
I love the look. I might just get one. It looks like a nice showpiece and a home for both your iPad and iPhone.

iSimx
Jun 28, 2011, 04:32 PM
So how do the Apple displays (and this accessory) charge the iPad? They both don't use the dock connector...

Was just kinda wondering if Apple is using inductive chargers for their retail store iPad displays, or if there was something else I was missing.

They use a thin tape replacing the cable...

moMac
Jun 28, 2011, 04:38 PM

My experience tells me that a sheet of acrylic that thick is not anywhere close to $2.

A 50mm thick sheet of acrylic 620mm x 310mm, enough to make 3-4 stands, costs around 60 to 75+tax (Apx. $100 to $140!) depending on the supplier. Plus on top of material cost you need to add the flame polishing required to make the edges clear after cutting and any other costs to manufacture, package and retail the product. So at $75, this items price looks about right!

iSimx
Jun 28, 2011, 04:45 PM
yep agreed, acrylic sheets are quite expensive and so for a block, the price seems about right..

praetorian909
Jun 28, 2011, 04:54 PM
They use a thin tape replacing the cable...

Ahhh ok, that explains it. Thanks.

gkarris
Jun 28, 2011, 05:33 PM
why?

Building or updating your home Apple Store... ;)

http://mashable.com/2011/05/09/microsoft-ads-pc-store/

ChristianJapan
Jun 28, 2011, 05:46 PM
To add to your ultimate Apple Store Playset experience!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/looflirpa/e8bb/

That's a nice one ! I can play my own iPad 3 First Day whenever I want

ovrlrd
Jun 28, 2011, 06:02 PM
That picture is either doctor'd or they are showing pictures of an actual apple store display stand.

Good eye, both photos on their site are definitely photoshopped from photos taken of the actual ones at the Apple store.

Take a closer look at this image on their site. It shows the back of the iPhone, but the "security device" is visible on the top right of the iPhone, but it just "disappears" from view because it was airbrushed out.

Plus the cables running to the stand are clearly the same "custom" cables that Apple which combines multiple dock cables into a thicker cable.

Until this company provides real photos I propose this is a scam, or at least not following very honest business practices.

http://newpcgadgets.com/products/ipad_pedestal/images/lrg_2.jpg

2 Replies
Jun 28, 2011, 06:36 PM
Now you can dock your iPad 2 and iPhone just like the professionals do at the Apple Store.

'professionals' ... lulz :rolleyes:
Even an Apple employee in Cupertino would laugh at that.

Apple Cupertino dev: "I'm an Apple professional."
Apple Store retail sales drone: "Neato! I am too!"
Apple Cupertino dev: "Riiiiiiggggghhhhtttt"

Rodimus Prime
Jun 28, 2011, 06:42 PM

Yep case and point below. They know the die hard Apple fans like LTD would pay the price to show off there Apple Fandom.
It is form over function time and time again.
I love the look. I might just get one. It looks like a nice showpiece and a home for both your iPad and iPhone.

enantiodromia
Jun 28, 2011, 06:49 PM

You were off by about $150:
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=334&

You are actually saving about 50% by ordering this through Apple via Tap Plastics, considered pretty much the de facto producer of custom plastic.

Things, not always what you think.

tbrinkma
Jun 28, 2011, 07:06 PM
don't forget about the $0.75 cord coming out of the back.

And the tens of thousands of dollars in custom tooling required to produce what will almost certainly be a low-volume item.

enantiodromia
Jun 28, 2011, 08:07 PM
And the tens of thousands of dollars in custom tooling required to produce what will almost certainly be a low-volume item.

That doesn't matter to Generation Web20.

Everything is the way they say it is, companies who make money are evil, and everything sucks except the stuff they like.

It's going to be entertaining when these guys grow up and have to actually work for a living.

Roy G Biv
Jun 28, 2011, 10:21 PM
I could see this having real practical value as a sturdy, semi-stationary stand for an iPad. For people who like using an iPad at a desk, there seems to be real functional benefits.

Is there anything similar? My desk is probably too small, but I might look into this.

sportsnapper
Jun 29, 2011, 02:59 AM
For those people that use iPads at exhibitions, seminars etc. for collecting customer information this looks like quite a nice solution - less likely to see the iPad walking away...

Laird Knox
Jun 29, 2011, 03:50 AM
My experience tells me that a sheet of acrylic that thick is not anywhere close to $2.

A 50mm thick sheet of acrylic 620mm x 310mm, enough to make 3-4 stands, costs around 60 to 75+tax (Apx. $100 to $140!) depending on the supplier. Plus on top of material cost you need to add the flame polishing required to make the edges clear after cutting and any other costs to manufacture, package and retail the product. So at $75, this items price looks about right!

Oh now you are just being silly. What's the point of realistic numbers when you can rant and rave? ;)

Les Kern
Jun 29, 2011, 06:43 AM
I'm looking for an iPod stand that looks like a blood clot.

iCrap gear offerings are getting ridiculous.

*LTD*
Jun 29, 2011, 09:48 AM
Yep case and point below. They know the die hard Apple fans like LTD would pay the price to show off there Apple Fandom.
It is form over function time and time again.

Do you know how much it costs to make that acrylic block? And make it look the way it does?

nemaslov
Jun 29, 2011, 10:04 AM

..and packaging, marketing and so on.... I agree that if you like this style, this is actually a good price for what it is.

jonnysods
Jun 29, 2011, 11:27 AM
"High quality acrylic" I love that line.

Sardonick007
Jun 30, 2011, 08:10 AM
ha, good thing they don't reference my town when they speak of genius, otherwise it would always be followed by a confused emoticon, much like the look on their faces.

mikeoui
Jun 30, 2011, 10:39 PM
This is clearly fake and/or a scam. As someone else already mentioned, the pictures are clearly those of the real thing in an Apple store. Not only can you see the security cord has been cropped out, but in one of the pictures on their site you can see in the reflection that the cord is plugged into the BACK of the iPad. You obviously can't do this. I emailed them asking if they had any actual pictures of their product as these are clearly photoshopped and received no response. I hope no one falls for this.

rustyhoge
Jul 1, 2011, 01:59 PM
I bought one. Just got an email saying they expect to ship all open orders by next Friday. Apparently they have found a lot of suckers, I mean takers, like me. I keep my iPad on a table behind my desk. iPhone too. This looks like just the thing to keep my iPad ready to use and both charging. Once over-the-air syncing starts I'll be all set.

mikeoui
Jul 2, 2011, 02:04 PM
Rusty, let us know what you find when you get it. Pictures would be a plus so we can see what it actually looks like. You can also fill us in on how the pad charges as the way Apple does it (and what is shown in the product pictures) is not possible with a consumer iPad.

rustyhoge
Jul 2, 2011, 07:09 PM
I asked NewPGGadgets the following today:

"The pictures of the dock on your website are of the units in the Apple stores. Is the iPad 2 Display Dock I ordered identical to this or something else?"

I received this reply (note same day):

"The only difference is we added an extra dock above the iPad 2 so you can charge two iphones or an iPod and an iPhone."

I am pleased at the quick reply and the fact that they did not try to tell me the photos were not of the Apple store version. Sounds very encouraging.

Stay tuned.

liavman
Jul 4, 2011, 11:25 AM
'professionals' ... lulz :rolleyes:
Even an Apple employee in Cupertino would laugh at that.

Apple Cupertino dev: "I'm an Apple professional."
Apple Store retail sales drone: "Neato! I am too!"
Apple Cupertino dev: "Riiiiiiggggghhhhtttt"

A week later....

Apple Cupertino dev: "I'm an Apple Wizard."
Apple Store retail sales drone: "Neato! I am an Apple Professional!"
Apple Cupertino dev: "Riiiiiiggggghhhhtttt.. rolling the eyes... OK..Are you going to be a gatekeeper at the next WWDC?"

mikeoui
Jul 10, 2011, 05:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

Still doesn't explain how the iPad will charge as you can't plug it in from the back as pictured.

roadbloc
Jul 10, 2011, 05:44 PM
Who on earth would buy that? It's near enough pointless. A gimmick.

Do you know how much it costs to make that acrylic block? And make it look the way it does?
I actually made an acrylic phone holder at high school during Design and Technology lessons. It seriously doesn't cost much at all, since the school had no problem frittering away sheets of the stuff as many people messed up their work by mistake.

This is my school which refused to let you make photocopies of workbook pages as it cost too much.

moMac
Jul 18, 2011, 02:48 PM
Who on earth would buy that? It's near enough pointless. A gimmick.

I actually made an acrylic phone holder at high school during Design and Technology lessons. It seriously doesn't cost much at all, since the school had no problem frittering away sheets of the stuff as many people messed up their work by mistake.

This is my school which refused to let you make photocopies of workbook pages as it cost too much.

Thin sheets of acrylic as mentioned above, for example 3mm thick, are quite cheap. However, the cost grows exponentially as the thickness of the acrylic sheet increases. So once you get to a thickness of sheet such as required for this dock, it becomes a rather expensive piece of plastic.

Inukashuk
Aug 8, 2011, 06:58 PM
Just received my iPad 2 Display Dock without Ports today - It's a hunk of *****. It's not clear like the one found in the Apple Store. It looks as though it was machined with a small hand cranked mill from Harbor Freight in a tool shed out back of a double wide after a 24 pack of BL w/Lime. The iPad 2 doesn't even come close to laying in the dock for a secure fit. You have the option to use these 4 adhesive pads to keep the iPad from slipping - well too bad there is a 1/8" to 1/4" gap between the bottom of the iPad and the dock itself. It uses the edges of the iPad to rest itself on the dock, which tends to be a bit unsecured in my opinion.

Hopefully I took one for the team on this - Don't purchase!

ufo888
Aug 31, 2011, 02:15 PM
I found another site and the prototype pics looks very good, i will give it a try and it would be nice to have it at my coffee table.

Site link below:
lavadisplay.com

;)

maroulis
Sep 15, 2011, 04:15 PM
Just received my iPad 2 Display Dock without Ports today - It's a hunk of *****. It's not clear like the one found in the Apple Store. It looks as though it was machined with a small hand cranked mill from Harbor Freight in a tool shed out back of a double wide after a 24 pack of BL w/Lime. The iPad 2 doesn't even come close to laying in the dock for a secure fit. You have the option to use these 4 adhesive pads to keep the iPad from slipping - well too bad there is a 1/8" to 1/4" gap between the bottom of the iPad and the dock itself. It uses the edges of the iPad to rest itself on the dock, which tends to be a bit unsecured in my opinion.

Hopefully I took one for the team on this - Don't purchase!

ditto here, I had pre-ordered one and received mine about 1 month ago.. it's TOTAL JUNK.. the finish is horrible, I wouldn't pay $20 for it... Oh well..