Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
So,

I'm pretty excited about Lion, I've used it a little and can't wait to get it up and running. Seeing that Apple is holding back Macs until Lion is released, what's the likeliness of it being released on the 1st of July? I really hope it is.

Thoughts?

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
So,

I'm pretty excited about Lion, I've used it a little and can't wait to get it up and running. Seeing that Apple is holding back Macs until Lion is released, what's the likeliness of it being released on the 1st of July? I really hope it is.

Thoughts?

Given recent reports of constrained supplies of Macbook Airs (which we believe will be released after Lion, or at the same time), it's possible we're looking at an early-month release, rather than later. Maybe not on the first (I would expect a major software release after the long weekend rather than before).

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
About the same as any other day, since the release hasn't been announced.
Actually, I think it'll be more likely earlier, as Apple is holding Macs back for the release.
Given recent reports of constrained supplies of Macbook Airs (which we believe will be released after Lion, or at the same time), it's possible we're looking at an early-month release, rather than later. Maybe not on the first (I would expect a major software release after the long weekend rather than before).
Yeah, good point about the long weekend. But hopefully it'll be early!

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
0.1% - July 1
4.9% - July 5
10% - July 12
25% - July 19
35% - July 26
25% - Any other day in July

TEG
Uhh? Serious or sarcasm? Either way it makes sense it'll be earlier. Hopefully, they at least announce when it'll be released, on July 1 :p

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Oh right you guys get a long weekend.... Well wouldn't it make sense for them to let you play with it the whole weekend? I guess the thought is if there is anything that needs addressing immediately it would be harder for them, but hey, they could just start giving refunds ;).

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Well, it won't be released on weekends and holiday, so that leaves 20 days total in which Lion can be released. So that would make it 5% chance of Lion coming out in July 1.

But if you want more educated odd, since Lion is not yet in gold master/release candidate status, it's looking almost impossible for Lion to be released that early. Since Lion is now online distribution based, however, i think the gap between actual release and release candidate will be very narrow.

Since Apple always release major OS on Fridays, my guess would be July 15.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
July 1st is on the eve of a major US holiday - July 4th - independence day. Apple is not about to launch on the a holiday weekend. Besides, I think they still have work to be done to put the finishing touches on Lion

Stok3

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
there hasn't been a GM yet so July 1 looks to bee to soon, although i wish it were that date as well

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
there hasn't been a GM yet so July 1 looks to bee to soon, although i wish it were that date as well

There is that. Although, the delay between GM release and actual release has been only a couple of days with some of the iOS releases. It's possible that the delay will be shorter for Lion (not saying likely, just possible).

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I guess end of July

I think the big slap that Apple got with the Final Cut Pro X release will make everybody more stressed on the release date.

For sure they will take their time to fix and test whatever needs to be solved.

I believe a too early release of Lion that has some problems still would be a real disaster for Apple's image.

They cannot afford that.

Snow Leopard is quite in a good shape.
I used pirated Lion just to test and make an image how the new OS will look like.

I don;t anymore. I am waiting for the final release and see how things come together.

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
All previous OS X releases where about 24/26 of the month. I guess it will not be released any time sooner.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
0.1% - July 1
4.9% - July 5
10% - July 12
25% - July 19
35% - July 26
25% - Any other day in July

TEG

I guess I agree in principle with the above. That being a late July release seems the most likely based on the version that is in the Dev's hands now. And July 1st is, in my opinion .01% possible.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
I think they'll release the GM in the first week of July, and release the retail version around July 18 or July 25. :eek:

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Well, my guesses are based on history. With few exceptions, Apple releases Software and Hardware on Tuesdays, usually the 2nd or 3rd Tuesday in a month.

TEG

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
USA
It won't be released on the 1st because my birthday is the 2nd and Steve knows it would steal my thunder. I called him.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Well, my guesses are based on history. With few exceptions, Apple releases Software and Hardware on Tuesdays, usually the 2nd or 3rd Tuesday in a month.

TEG

The past several OS X updates have been released on Fridays.

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
So,

Thoughts?

Zero I would say. We're bound to see another preview release before they put it out to the public.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
Lion on July first?...Without a GM?...Is it probable?...
Probable? No. Possible? Yes. I think we're looking at late July. Whenever Apple doesn't have a set release date they seem to release as late as possible. I remember the original iPad 3G release... April 30.

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA
I would love for it to come out tomorrow. That way it would give more time for the bugs to be worked out before I dive in later in the month.

That being said only time will tell. We will all know in a matter of hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.