Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
When it comes to iCloud, my single greatest concern is that Apple, the master of smooth marketing, could make the consumer a whole lot less skeptical, and a whole lot less secure.

Do you really want all your data in the cloud?

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
As long as I can control what goes there, sure. A hell of a lot more of your data is in the cloud than you think without your control today. A few songs or documents that I choose to put there is fine with me.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Do you really want all your data in the cloud?
Not me.

Apple's track record with security and back ups has not been all that stellar. I had to deal with missing emails and the prospect of them telling me they may not recover them. That example is not isolated, I've seen this a number of times in the apple discussion forum.

Apple's secretive nature does not lend itself with dealing with security. They need to be more transparent and up front on dealing with security

The issues with Sony are a start reminder that our data is not as protected as we may think. I prefer to be the one responsible for backing up my data and ensuring that it is safe.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I'm fine with it. If anyone don't want to use iCloud features, then they don't have to. Personally, I want to have every piece of my digital life (documents, contacts, app-data, etc) available where ever and whenever I want, on whatever device I'm holding at the time. The only way to get that is to trust a little.

As long as my data doesn't go missing, I will be happy.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
When I posted I do - that doesn't mean all my data will be on iCloud. I use and will use a variety of cloud storage services. I use Dropbox for all my data files (iWork files now, pdf's, backup files, etc.). I use MobileMe (but will convert over to iCloud of course) for my email, contacts, calendar, etc. I use Picasa for all my pictures. I pay extra and have all my pictures since 2000 stored there. And now with the change to iTunes I have all my music files backed up there. Once full access to iCloud is enabled I will move my iWork files there but will keep a backup on Dropbox. The only thing I won't have stored on a cloud based storage is my video files and right now I have them stored on an external HDD. Hopefully Apple is working on a deal to re-download videos from iTunes like they did the music files.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
could make the consumer a whole lot less skeptical, and a whole lot less secure...

So you are saying that by doing Cloud storage of data right, Apple is going to gull consumers into making foolish decisions elsewhere on the net?

Thats a possibility. But its an argument in favor of consumers being smarter - not in Apple walking away from the Cloud.

Do I want *some* of my data in the cloud? Absolutely. A lifetime of photographs, digitized and stored in the cloud, safe from the possibility of destruction by fire or flood or Fading and cracking. Accessible to anyone I choose to give access to, from anywhere in the world. Pretty much indefinitely. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Do I want my library of music and movies, favorite TV shows - available to me anywhere I am in the world - even from my (storage-limited) iPad or iPhone? Absolutely.

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
I see iCould as being like 'DropBox' but with automated more features. I like the whole take photo on iPhone and its sent to iPad and the itunes matching service looks interesting too.
However I will still always be backing up ALL my files to a physical local hard drive and will never iCould anything I dont want the rest of the world to see - no matter how good/bad the Apple security is.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
So you are saying that by doing Cloud storage of data right, Apple is going to gull consumers into making foolish decisions elsewhere on the net?

Thats a possibility. But its an argument in favor of consumers being smarter - not in Apple walking away from the Cloud.

Don't put words in my mouth. I did not say Apple was doing it wrong, nor did I say they are doing it right. You said Apples doing it right. I disagree. It's not about right or wrong, the cloud is the cloud. Period.

The _way_ Apple has embedded the new cocktail of iOS/OS X into all new computers, iPhones and all other devices that use either OS X, or iOS is the questionable part of this.

On one hand, yes it's great to have a seamless integration so that your data appears on everything Apple you own. Conversely, what I am saying is that it will lure customers who lack our level of technical knowledge to just trust Apple and let them do it all. Thereby finding that their tax returns and anything else they've stored on what they used to perceived as their local drive will now be in the cloud.

You claim it's an argument about consumers being smarter? How can that be when they are not being educated but simply sold.

People in the mainstream are basically lazy, a trait that Apple has capitalized on for years, and is the very backbone of the cash machine that is Apple.

The slogan "It just works" which so many love to fall back on in the the world of Apple is a perfect example. "We Apple" make computers, phones, and other devices so simple your grandma can use them with not a care in the world.

No education, no personal responsibility required. The easy way.

Fanboys love it. Go to Apple, buy cool toys and spend your time bragging and posing.

After all you don't have to study anything to make yourself smarter. You just use it.

It's that attitude that may cause many to take the "easy way out" and just let Apple capture everything on their computer and shove it up to the cloud. Apple's cloud. From Apple's side it is a very smart move... from the consumer side, not so much.

I am not criticizing Apple, but rather simply bringing up this point to discuss.

Daisy123

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
When Apple made a big splash about its upcoming iCloud online service at the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference early this month, quite a few questions remained about the fate of MobileMe, the service iCloud replaces. The company has finally clarified these mysteries in a MobileMe to iCloud FAQ.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Don't put words in my mouth. I did not say Apple was doing it wrong, nor did I say they are doing it right. You said Apples doing it right. I disagree. It's not about right or wrong, the cloud is the cloud. Period.

The _way_ Apple has embedded the new cocktail of iOS/OS X into all new computers, iPhones and all other devices that use either OS X, or iOS is the questionable part of this.

On one hand, yes it's great to have a seamless integration so that your data appears on everything Apple you own. Conversely, what I am saying is that it will lure customers who lack our level of technical knowledge to just trust Apple and let them do it all. Thereby finding that their tax returns and anything else they've stored on what they used to perceived as their local drive will now be in the cloud.

You claim it's an argument about consumers being smarter? How can that be when they are not being educated but simply sold.

People in the mainstream are basically lazy, a trait that Apple has capitalized on for years, and is the very backbone of the cash machine that is Apple.

The slogan "It just works" which so many love to fall back on in the the world of Apple is a perfect example. "We Apple" make computers, phones, and other devices so simple your grandma can use them with not a care in the world.

No education, no personal responsibility required. The easy way.

Fanboys love it. Go to Apple, buy cool toys and spend your time bragging and posing.

After all you don't have to study anything to make yourself smarter. You just use it.

It's that attitude that may cause many to take the "easy way out" and just let Apple capture everything on their computer and shove it up to the cloud. Apple's cloud. From Apple's side it is a very smart move... from the consumer side, not so much.

I am not criticizing Apple, but rather simply bringing up this point to discuss.

Dude, excellent post. Made a lot of good points about things we don't like to admit lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.