PDA

View Full Version : x86_64 Error

thejimib
Jun 29, 2011, 01:03 AM
Firstly I am really sorry if this has been covered before, and if you just link me to an old thread where this has been covered I would be grateful.

So I have a MacBook Pro I purchased June 2006 running 10.6.8 upgraded from 10.4 yesterday with a clean install)
Processor 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I have the book 'Objective-C for Absolute Beginners' from Apress and have been working through it. When I got into Xcode for the Hello World coding it was automatically set to Debug | i368 where in the book it was Debug | x86_64. When I tried with i368 the Debugger Console didn't pop up, and when I switched to x86_64 I got the error message

"the active architecture x86_64 is 64 bit which is not supported by this cpu"

I am a beginner Mac programmer with some programming experience from uni with Visual Basic 2010. I have a feeling my MacBook Pro is just too old to run the current software and I will need to upgrade. It just sucks as I'm a uni student I can't afford to buy a new computer right now.

I wanted to learn much more about Xcode and Objective C on my VERY old Macbook Pro before deciding I wanted to persue it and then buy a new system.

Can any of you recommend what I should do? If it is just a temporary method to get the Debugger Console to work so I can work through the exercises in the book I would be happy.

Cheers
Jamie

jiminaus
Jun 29, 2011, 03:11 AM
Just don't change to x86_64. Probably none of the code in that book will require 64-bit code.

BTW You should post Mac OS X programming stuff in the Mac programming forum.

robbieduncan
Jun 29, 2011, 04:45 AM
BTW You should post Mac OS X programming stuff in the Mac programming forum.

And has been moved as such :)

As above the architecture should not have any impact on your ability to learn. Unless you are going to write code that requires more than 4Gb of memory space plain old 386 will be just fine :)

thejimib
Jun 29, 2011, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the reply, sorry for posting in the wrong section.

If I click Run -> Console I get the same screen as the book shows for just clicking Build and Run.

At least I can continue on with the book excercises.