PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air Update Coming in Mid-July?

MacRumors
Jun 29, 2011, 08:37 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/29/macbook-air-update-coming-in-mid-july/)

Many customers have been waiting for Apple to begin shipping its long-rumored updated MacBook Airs, bringing a significant performance improvement to the line with the incorporation of Intel's Sandy Bridge platform. A number of reports had pegged the release for the June-July timeframe, but the June dates (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/13/new-macbook-air-to-launch-at-end-of-june/) are essentially out of the picture now and Apple has been said to be holding the release (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/16/apple-holding-new-mac-hardware-updates-until-os-x-lion-launches/) until it can offer OS X Lion preinstalled on the new machines.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/macbook_air_2010_profile.jpg

Chatter is now beginning to coalesce around a mid-July launch, and we've been hearing that Apple may be planning a MacBook Air launch for the third week of the month. AppleNApps seems to agree (http://applenapps.com/mac-osx/apple-to-ship-mac-os-x-lion-and-new-macbook-airs-on-july-19th.html), with several sources there reporting that Apple plans to release the new MacBook Airs alongside OS X Lion on Tuesday, July 19th.Sources have indicated to AppleNApps that Apple has an internal launch date of July 19th for Mac OS X Lion and a refresh of the MacBook Airs. This is the target date under which the company is currently operating, though both sources are indicating that things can change. Our sources have just seen indications, and can't be entirely certain, but if everything goes according to plan there will be a new MacBook Air shipping with Lion starting July 19th.That would coincide with Apple's earnings announcement (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq311/) for the quarter just ending, providing the company with enticing discussion fodder for the conference call.

9 to 5 Mac also reports (http://9to5mac.com/2011/06/28/new-macbook-airs-with-os-x-lion-thunderbolt-and-sandy-bridge-in-mid-july/) that it has been hearing Thursday, July 14th in the "rumblings" regarding a launch for Lion and new MacBook Airs, adding to the increasing consensus of a release right around the middle of the month.

Article Link: MacBook Air Update Coming in Mid-July? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/29/macbook-air-update-coming-in-mid-july/)

tmofee
Jun 29, 2011, 08:41 AM
Nice! end of financial year for me too.. i'll just wait a little longer then :)

strwrsfrk
Jun 29, 2011, 08:44 AM
...for no other reason than I am excited. So late in July is contradictory to so many of the previous rumors floating around, which have done nothing if not whet our appetites. Bring on Sandy Bridge!

Lesser Evets
Jun 29, 2011, 08:45 AM
That's nice, but they need to launch minis, MacPros, MacBooks, AppleTV... etc. Obviously the iPhone and iPods are coming in August-October's window. Nearly the entire Apple line needs update.

Coen0s
Jun 29, 2011, 08:45 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I NEED AIR NOW!

AWallen90
Jun 29, 2011, 08:50 AM
They just need to come out already, all these rumors still no new airs.

zedsdead
Jun 29, 2011, 08:50 AM
Apple announced their conference call...there will be no new products until after the call.

Expect the Air at the earliest Wed the 20th.

cvaldes
Jun 29, 2011, 08:51 AM
I NEED AIR NOW!
Good for you. Apple works on their schedule, not yours. They will do whatever they damned well pleases them.

If you want to change that, please contact Apple's board of directors and have them appoint you as Apple CEO.

xkmxkmxlmx
Jun 29, 2011, 08:57 AM
Good for you. Apple works on their schedule, not yours. They will do whatever they damned well pleases them.

If you want to change that, please contact Apple's board of directors and have them appoint you as Apple CEO.

You mad?

Skika

Well, someone's day is crappy.

reputationZed
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I NEED AIR NOW!

Looks like there's a new sheriff in town and he means to clean up this here forum.

i.mac
Jun 29, 2011, 08:59 AM
I'm getting a new Air... :)

dethmaShine
Jun 29, 2011, 09:00 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Looks like there's a new sheriff in town and he means to clean up this here forum.

And please please please....

don't make him a mod. :eek:

ValSalva
Jun 29, 2011, 09:07 AM
Hopefully these new MacBook Airs will come with the same USB thumb drive containing OS X as the October 2010 models, but in this case containing 10.7.0.

gri
Jun 29, 2011, 09:08 AM
Pretty please Apple add the freakin' backlit keyboard again...

macnisse
Jun 29, 2011, 09:10 AM
Nice to hear it is getting closer! :D

foidulus
Jun 29, 2011, 09:14 AM
That's nice, but they need to launch minis, MacPros, MacBooks, AppleTV... etc. Obviously the iPhone and iPods are coming in August-October's window. Nearly the entire Apple line needs update.

Apple's mac line now seems to be focusing almost entirely on airs and iMacs. You can judge the importance Apple places on each of their models by looking at the apple.com/mac page

Air and iMac are front and center, followed by the macbook pro and mac mini. And left to languish are the macbook(which may get the axe as the price is the same as an entry level air) and the mac pro.....

Even Apple's promotional pictures for Lion predominately feature the iMac and macbook air.

Apple's priorities seem to be: iPhone, iPad, iPod touches, macs(mostly macbook air and imac), Apple TV and then finally the non-ios ipod line. As you go on down the line, the update frequency decreases.

Stok3
Jun 29, 2011, 09:16 AM
wouldn't it make sense to launch lion and MBA lets say a week before the end of the quarter instead of the same day. It would give them the time to incorporate the sales figures into their conference call and raise the stock price even more.

Or do i have this wrong? LOL its still early and I havent had my coffee yet. :D

puma25uk
Jun 29, 2011, 09:18 AM
As much as I want an updated Air, and I do, I wouldn't mind Lion being released before then. Can't wait to get it.

Then if the new Air chimes in mid-end July, Lion would've been released anyhow.

A win-win for everyone, and a nice quarter ending for Apple :D

KnightWRX
Jun 29, 2011, 09:20 AM
Hopefully these new MacBook Airs will come with the same USB thumb drive containing OS X as the October 2010 models, but in this case containing 10.7.0.

Why would they ? Lion will have a recovery partition and you can always redownload it from the MAS if you need to reinstall.

With the way Apple is doing Lion, I'm thinking July will mean the end of "recovery" media with Macs, including the Air's thumb drive and DVDs with other Macs.

lvlarkkoenen
Jun 29, 2011, 09:20 AM
I NEED AIR NOW!

Then maybe open a window?

redshovel
Jun 29, 2011, 09:22 AM
I never felt the need to order any Apple Product the second it was announced, but for reasons only know to the dark side of my brain, the moment this new Air hits the Apple Store I will be ordering one.

jebarne
Jun 29, 2011, 09:23 AM
Please bring back the backlit keyboard.

satkin2
Jun 29, 2011, 09:24 AM
Why would they ? Lion will have a recovery partition and you can always redownload it from the MAS if you need to reinstall.

With the way Apple is doing Lion, I'm thinking July will mean the end of "recovery" media with Macs, including the Air's thumb drive and DVDs with other Macs.

Forgive me if I'm being dumb, but I genuinely don't know. What if you're hard drive, with the recovery partition on it fails? How would you recover something unrecoverable? Would the Air be totaly broken and need taking to apple for a new hard drive?

How would you change the hard drive if the recovery partition is on it. Say I wanted to upgrade it to a bigger one, the partition wouldn't be there so how do I reinstall. I wouldn't have access to the MAS as there wouldn't be an OS on my hard drive at this point?

cvaldes
You mad?

Well, someone's day is crappy.

LOL, you guys can't take a joke? Do you really think I was being serious about telling him to take Steve's position at Apple?

:p

And please please please....

don't make him a mod. :eek:
You couldn't pay me to be a moderator on this forum.

:D

strabes

Lion has a restore partition so including external media is unnecessary.

pjperez
Jun 29, 2011, 09:26 AM
I never felt the need to order any Apple Product the second it was announced, but for reasons only know to the dark side of my brain, the moment this new Air hits the Apple Store I will be ordering one.

Same goes for me, but mainly because my 7-year-old Windows laptop finally died on me last year, and no way am I getting a new Windows machine (XP I loved, all OSes since have just annoyed me), and the Air seemed like the perfect fit between an iPad and a MacBook Pro. But no sense in me buying the existing model if something much better is coming along in a month or so.

But I hate that I've now become one of those people waiting on baited breath for every rumor of its release. ;)

pjperez
Jun 29, 2011, 09:28 AM

If there's hard drive failure, though, wouldn't accessing the restore partition be rendered null as well?

(That's not snark, BTW, that's genuine curiosity.)

Cynicalone
Jun 29, 2011, 09:32 AM

You will need either a USB thumb drive or DVD if you want to erase the internal HDD.

You can't do that from the Recovery partition.

dethmaShine
Jun 29, 2011, 09:36 AM
LOL, you guys can't take a joke? Do you really think I was being serious about telling him to take Steve's position at Apple?

:p

You couldn't pay me to be a moderator on this forum.

:D

I wouldn't. :D

BornAgainMac
Jun 29, 2011, 09:38 AM
It makes more sense to built your own recovery partition on a thumb drive as an option.

Takeo
Jun 29, 2011, 09:41 AM
I just hope they have better battery life. I get maybe 4 hours from my 11" 2010 Air

Yamcha
Jun 29, 2011, 09:41 AM
I guess it safe to say that we should expect Lion in mid July :]

KnightWRX
Jun 29, 2011, 09:46 AM
Forgive me if I'm being dumb, but I genuinely don't know. What if you're hard drive, with the recovery partition on it fails? How would you recover something unrecoverable? Would the Air be totaly broken and need taking to apple for a new hard drive?

Yep, that seems to be the direction Apple is taking with Mac OS X Lion.

How would you change the hard drive if the recovery partition is on it. Say I wanted to upgrade it to a bigger one, the partition wouldn't be there so how do I reinstall. I wouldn't have access to the MAS as there wouldn't be an OS on my hard drive at this point?

Why would you change hard drive elsewhere than at the Apple store.

Again, this seems to be the direction Apple is taking with Mac OS X Lion.

Not that I agree or am happy about it (frankly, I want nothing to do with the MAS), but that's where they seem to be headed and they don't really give a damn about all the scenarios we can make up where their way doesn't work.

You will need either a USB thumb drive or DVD if you want to erase the internal HDD.

You can't do that from the Recovery partition.

Sure you can. Just make sure to erase the destination partition only, not the recovery partition. Again guys, this is where Apple is headed. I really doubt people who get new Macs after Lion will have recovery media when there's no Lion media to begin with. It's all MAS/Recovery partitions from here on out.

We'll see for sure when it comes out, but start preparing your whines and complaints already, I'm pretty sure you'll need them.

mprofit
Jun 29, 2011, 09:46 AM
Would this mean that MacBook Pros would also begin shipping with Lion on its launch date, like the Airs, or would they need a few days for the supply to "catch up" with installing 10.7?

JasperJanssen
Jun 29, 2011, 09:48 AM

If your hard drive gets corrupted, with or without a replacement, then you're going to need something else to boot from.

My guess: a half-gig (or whatever is the lowest capacity still worth manufacturing) bootable USB drive that only boots and accesses the MAS.

gibstros
Jun 29, 2011, 09:49 AM
Air and iMac are front and center, followed by the macbook pro and mac mini. And left to languish are the macbook(which may get the axe as the price is the same as an entry level air) and the mac pro.....

Makes sense to me. I don't understand why they don't release a 17 inch MacBook Air with a backlit keyboard. I use the DVD drive about once a year in my MacBook Pro. Give me the features of the MacBook Pro in the form factor of the MacBook Air and I will be first in line to buy one.

KnightWRX
Jun 29, 2011, 09:50 AM
If your hard drive gets corrupted, with or without a replacement, then you're going to need something else to boot from.

My guess: a half-gig (or whatever is the lowest capacity still worth manufacturing) bootable USB drive that only boots and accesses the MAS.

Again, Apple doesn't care about the scenarios we make up where their way doesn't work. It's plainly obvious from the limited option (singular) with which they plan to offer Lion.

We'll see, but my money is on "Their way or the highway" with no recovery media in sight.

I know about all the scenarios where this would be a problem, don't shoot the messenger, we've all discussed these at lengths already.

cassians
Jun 29, 2011, 09:50 AM
Would this mean that MacBook Pros would also begin shipping with Lion on its launch date, like the Airs, or would they need a few days for the supply to "catch up" with installing 10.7?

Once Lion Gold Master Build is released, they'll start putting them onto the pros/iMac/macbooks/mac minis, but of course after they have fitted all the airs with Lion first.

Gemütlichkeit
Jun 29, 2011, 09:51 AM

You must be a blast to hang out with.

Excited for this refresh. I'll be picking an Air up for a christmas present to myself :)

musicpenguy
Jun 29, 2011, 09:52 AM
AppleNApps - Really? - what kind of "sources" does this guy have - my source is that I want this to come true so I'll post that it should come true on so and so date - give me a break :)

DelisleBA.info
Jun 29, 2011, 09:56 AM
Does anyone know about them bring back the backlit keyboard?

JasperJanssen
Jun 29, 2011, 09:57 AM
Again, Apple doesn't care about the scenarios we make up where their way doesn't work. It's plainly obvious from the limited option (singular) with which they plan to offer Lion.

We'll see, but my money is on "Their way or the highway" with no recovery media in sight.

One way or another though, each Apple Retail Store and APR will have to have copies of boot disks (because they cannot repair macs at all, otherwise). They may not want consumers to have recovery images, but they have to exist. And somehow I don't think they will stay only in there.

If not provided with a new mac, I suspect there will either be a "Create a recovery disk/usbstick" utility or something will filter out onto the internet.

If nothing else, backing up the restore partition to a USB stick with the proper incantations should yield a bootable USB restore stick.

satkin2
Jun 29, 2011, 10:00 AM
Yep, that seems to be the direction Apple is taking with Mac OS X Lion.

Why would you change hard drive elsewhere than at the Apple store.

Again, this seems to be the direction Apple is taking with Mac OS X Lion.

Not that I agree or am happy about it (frankly, I want nothing to do with the MAS), but that's where they seem to be headed and they don't really give a damn about all the scenarios we can make up where their way doesn't work.

Thanks for your response, I assume your thinking is right it does look like the way Apple are going. Its a shame, but if thats the way they want it thats the way it will be I guess.

conecode
Jun 29, 2011, 10:02 AM
I just want to know if they will bring back the backlit keyboard.

Sodner
Jun 29, 2011, 10:04 AM
I already have my Air. Just bring on Lion ASAP!

Cynicalone
Jun 29, 2011, 10:09 AM

I know about all the scenarios where this would be a problem, don't shoot the messenger, we've all discussed these at lengths already.

I don't think they can do that yet.

Their are people who live hundreds of miles from Apple stores. What are they going to do when their HDD fails? Ship the laptop off to Apple for an OS install? This seems crazy to me.

You may be right but it just seems crazy to me.

Myself I'll be making an install thumb drive when Lion goes gold.

igazza
Jun 29, 2011, 10:12 AM
Cmon apple just release these now, im already gonna buy lion for my imac. :)

KnightWRX
Jun 29, 2011, 10:13 AM
I don't think they can do that yet.

When has that stopped them before ? ;) (FCPX, Xserve, Lion distribution, the floppy drive!)

Their are people who live hundreds of miles from Apple stores. What are they going to do when their HDD fails? Ship the laptop off to Apple for an OS install? This seems crazy to me.

And to anyone else that is sane, but again, when has that stopped Apple ?

You may be right but it just seems crazy to me.

Myself I'll be making an install thumb drive when Lion goes gold.

As anyone should do. In fact, I do believe Apple should've simply shipped it as part of the install application you download. Clicking on it should offer to install Lion or create bootable recovery/installation media. This process can be made simple and intuitive easily.

But they don't seem to be going that route.

I'm guessing we all need to prepare for a very long confrontational thread titled "Apple moving away from recovery media with new Macs" sometime late July, where a few people here will insist this is moving forward and that anyone saying this is a bad thing is a luddite and "stuck in the old ways" while a few other people come up with dozens upon dozens of scenarios where this won't work.

In the end, it'll be Apple's way or the highway. I really hope I'm seeing too much into the whole Lion distribution thing, but it's what I'm expecting at this point.

mprofit
Jun 29, 2011, 10:19 AM
Once Lion Gold Master Build is released, they'll start putting them onto the pros/iMac/macbooks/mac minis, but of course after they have fitted all the airs with Lion first.

So, in other words it's safe to assume a Pro ordered on or a few days after Lion's release will come with Lion preloaded?

Mr Fusion
Jun 29, 2011, 10:19 AM
I'm not even excited for this release anymore. I was going to buy an Air in May, then heard an update was going to happen "soon." I thought it would happen with the BTS announcement, because Apple usually locks in their product lineup for the Summer then. Then the BTS promotion became garbage for me (my wife REALLY wanted the free iPod Touch.) Now we're at the end of June with a few weeks still to go apparently. Great...

Apple just release the f$&king new MacBook Air already so I can give you my f$&king money and I can be f$&king happy with my purchase. Goddammit!!!

:mad:

gri
Jun 29, 2011, 10:21 AM

Probably one of the best comments I have read here (in terms of originality):D

gri
Jun 29, 2011, 10:23 AM
I just want to know if they will bring back the backlit keyboard.

If they do I buy one in a heart beat. If not my old 2d Gen MBA has to live for another day...

wescravn
Jun 29, 2011, 10:25 AM
I just hope they have better battery life. I get maybe 4 hours from my 11" 2010 Air

I get more than that ~6-7 hours. Maybe you installed Flash :confused:

xkmxkmxlmx
Jun 29, 2011, 10:26 AM
I'm not even excited for this release anymore. I was going to buy an Air in May, then heard an update was going to happen "soon." I thought it would happen with the BTS announcement, because Apple usually locks in their product lineup for the Summer then. Then the BTS promotion became garbage for me (my wife REALLY wanted the free iPod Touch.) Now we're at the end of June with a few weeks still to go apparently. Great...

Apple just release the f$&king new MacBook Air already so I can give you my f$&king money and I can be f$&king happy with my purchase. Goddammit!!!

#firstworldproblems

gspannu
Jun 29, 2011, 10:26 AM
Hard drive failures on the MBA and the issue of reinstalling Lion...

MBA does not have a hard-drive, as in a conventional sense. Although it is a SSD, it is not the conventional drive like a 2.5 or a 3.5". The drives in MBA is a Mini PCI Express form factor SSD drive.
See picture here. 291624 (Courtesy of iFixit)

Although, these can be replaced by a non-technician, my guess is most people would need to go to Apple to get it fixed anyway.

Chances are the Apple replacement SSD will already have a Lion recovery partition built-in so accessing MAS should not be an issue.

MacsRgr8
Jun 29, 2011, 10:28 AM
If not provided with a new mac, I suspect there will either be a "Create a recovery disk/usbstick" utility or something will filter out onto the internet.

You can already do that by looking into the contents of the Lion installer, and restore the ESD.dmg to a drive (HD / DVD)

gri
Jun 29, 2011, 10:29 AM

Join the club. I waited about 18 months from the first introduction of the MBA for a better one (more RAM, bigger drive). I finally gave in mid last year and bought a refurbished one as I needed a light weight computer for travel. This was supposed to be an interim solution as I still need more RAM. Than they updated the Air to its current form - but left the backlit key board out. So still a compromised MBA in my opinion. So, probably with the new update they will leave out something else to still make it not perfect (for me)...

Zargot
Jun 29, 2011, 10:38 AM
Or at least new power adapters... :D

I ordered the below with a refurbished 11" Air 10 days ago and got this email this morning:

Dear Apple Education Customer,

Thank you for your recent order.

<snip>

Due to an unexpected delay, we are unable to ship the following item(s)
by the date that you were originally quoted:

MC747LL/A, APPLE 45W MAGSAFE POWER ADAPTER-USA
will now ship on or before
Jul 07, 2011

*My school district shuts down purchases from July-September so I could wait no longer on the new models... Glad to be rid of the Dell 6510 monstrosity!

charpi
Jun 29, 2011, 10:47 AM
Arghhh....why does MR always feed us with tasty rumors???

Makes the hype so much more for me....

Arghhhhhh....

I'm going to play the Nyan Cat song until Apple releases the new MBAs.

That's my protest :) :p

taeclee99
Jun 29, 2011, 10:52 AM
Is the new sandy bridge revision worth it to those of us who have the late 2010 model? I have the ultimate 13 in edition. Are the intel graphics much worse than in the nvidia 320 graphics I have now?

Decisions...Decisions...

krimp
Jun 29, 2011, 11:04 AM

im over waiting for this update, i think i will just grab the current model with the upgrade to 4g ram and be done with it, still get the nvidia that way also. im also wary on the first batch of any new realease os could have issues? am i wrong maybe but i think the current air will do all i need.

Dillenger
Jun 29, 2011, 11:15 AM
Please bring back the backlit keyboard.

The only reason I won't sell my 13 inch MBP and get an Air is for that very reason, no backlit keyboard.

shurcooL
Jun 29, 2011, 11:37 AM
Backlit keyboard.

The Air is supposed to be a full blown Mac computer, no compromises. Having no backlit keyboard when the MBPs have 'em is a compromise!

Coen0s
Jun 29, 2011, 11:37 AM

Heerlijk die reacties.
I've been waiting so long for the i7 coming to MBA, it's almost there:):)

Sinnthetic
Jun 29, 2011, 11:38 AM
Would it be possible to buy a Macbook Air right now and then return it in two weeks?

My laptop LCD screen cracked and I've been browsing the internet with a giant black line streaking down the middle =/

shurcooL
Jun 29, 2011, 11:40 AM
No Air (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBKnpyoFEBo) this month.

iZeeshan
Jun 29, 2011, 12:10 PM
I'm really hoping most of the rumors so far aren't true about he Air because it almost seems like, other than the i5/i7 there isn't much different and I might as well get myself a refurbished 2010 Air.

I'm really hoping the graphics card doesn't get worse, a backlit keyboard, and basically something that actually makes me want the new 2011 Air and not be confused about whether I should get the 2010. I can afford the new one that will come out (hopefully it will have the lower price points) but I don't want to get it and think that I can save money by getting the 2010.

So here's hoping for a few surprises when the release is announced! If the battery life is a little better, the GPU hasn't worsened, there's a backlit keyboard, and the price points are $100 lower, then I'm sold. I don't need anything else.

Macopotamus
Jun 29, 2011, 12:24 PM
They pick a Tuesday in the middle of the month and then say it could be changed. Gee whiz I wonder if this was made up as link bait?

mynameisntneo
Jun 29, 2011, 12:47 PM
Would it be possible to buy a Macbook Air right now and then return it in two weeks?

My laptop LCD screen cracked and I've been browsing the internet with a giant black line streaking down the middle =/

For similar reasons, contemplating getting the current model off of Amazon.com and returning within 30 days... Not sure if it's a good idea or not.

bigp9998
Jun 29, 2011, 12:50 PM
I'm still amazed that everyone cares so much about the backlit keyboard. I guess it's a nice feature, but doesn't a Mac keyboard have the nubs on the f and j keys so you know where to type? To be fair, I do still need to look at the keyboard to type numbers if the keyboard doesn't have the 10-key pad. It certainly won't be a dealbreaker for me, though.

radge
Jun 29, 2011, 01:04 PM
im over waiting for this update, i think i will just grab the current model with the upgrade to 4g ram and be done with it, still get the nvidia that way also. im also wary on the first batch of any new realease os could have issues? am i wrong maybe but i think the current air will do all i need.

I'm in a similar situation, the current MBA's do what I will use them for with ease. My plan is to wait it out and see if the updated versions will be worth it, and if not, the older models (the ones that are current now) will go down in price. Waiting a month is going to stink, but if the biggest worry in my life is waiting to buy a new $1300+ computer, I think I'll be just fine.

hotcocoa
Jun 29, 2011, 01:06 PM
The other problem with not including a recovery USB drive is the wasted space of the recovery partition (4-8 GB, right?). This is a lot of drive space for the 64 GB model. Including a USB drive would free up that space for the user.

I know Apple is creating an recovery partition when you upgrade to Lion, but I don't think anyone really knows for sure that they will take the same approach for machines that come with Lion pre-installed.

Cougarcat
Jun 29, 2011, 01:14 PM
The other problem with not including a recovery USB drive is the wasted space of the recovery partition (4-8 GB, right?). This is a lot of drive space for the 64 GB model. Including a USB drive would free up that space for the user.

It's 1 GB. If you want to reinstall OS X, you have to redownload it first.

42streetsdown
Jun 29, 2011, 01:23 PM
They pick a Tuesday in the middle of the month and then say it could be changed. Gee whiz I wonder if this was made up as link bait?

all of the predicted dates have been crap so far.

Jun 29, 2011, 02:03 PM
I'm pretty certain the new Vaio Z from Sony will beat up whatever Apple comes up with the new MacBook Air. 1920x1080 screen resolution in a 13" laptop is stunning. Apple doesn't even offer us that in the 15" MacBook Pro. :eek:

kwiiboy
Jun 29, 2011, 02:05 PM

Damn, who infected your Apple?

42streetsdown
Jun 29, 2011, 02:07 PM
I'm pretty certain the new Vaio Z from Sony will beat up whatever Apple comes up with the new MacBook Air. 1920x1080 screen resolution in a 13" laptop is stunning. Apple doesn't even offer us that in the 15" MacBook Pro. :eek:

I feel like that kind of pixel density could be a problem without proper resolution independence in the OS. You'll get text and buttons that are super small.

AidenShaw
Jun 29, 2011, 03:34 PM
I feel like that kind of pixel density could be a problem without proper resolution independence in the OS. You'll get text and buttons that are super small.

While it's kind of hard to call it "proper resolution independence" - as someone pointed out, the VAIO Z runs Windows 7. When you click the presets for "125%" or "150%", it does a pretty decent job of scaling everything.

shurcooL
Jun 29, 2011, 04:39 PM
Unless Apple is quick enough to release a Retina display with this set of Airs, yes, the new Sony Z will beat Air in terms of resolution. Sadly, resolution is not everything when it comes to a laptop.

Windows 7 does have DPI scaling and you can set it to 125% or 150% or whatever, but it's very far from perfect (especially in many 3rd party apps).

mariov
Jun 29, 2011, 04:43 PM
i´ll stick to my "old" 11.6 MBA. Unless the new base model comes with 128 gb ssd and 4gb ram and backlight keyboard... and if it not, i can wait years with the one i have. :)

Obi Wan Kenobi
Jun 29, 2011, 04:53 PM
Apple's mac line now seems to be focusing almost entirely on airs and iMacs. You can judge the importance Apple places on each of their models by looking at the apple.com/mac page

Even Apple's promotional pictures for Lion predominately feature the iMac and macbook air.

Apple's priorities seem to be: iPhone, iPad, iPod touches, macs(mostly macbook air and imac), Apple TV and then finally the non-ios ipod line. As you go on down the line, the update frequency decreases.

But that's just good business sense isn't it? Those are the most profitable products.

And its absolutely right that the iPhone should be at the head of that list. It has had a major 'halo' effect. It's brilliance is what made me try a Mac. The Mac-Evangelists I knew for years before, just put me off Apple products with their manic Mac enthusiasm. Only now am I a convert.

Obi Wan Kenobi
Jun 29, 2011, 04:55 PM

Now that's a worry. :eek:

That could put me off buying one.

fpsBeaTt
Jun 29, 2011, 06:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I NEED AIR NOW!

Just breath, dammit!

foidulus
Jun 29, 2011, 07:42 PM
Makes sense to me. I don't understand why they don't release a 17 inch MacBook Air with a backlit keyboard. I use the DVD drive about once a year in my MacBook Pro. Give me the features of the MacBook Pro in the form factor of the MacBook Air and I will be first in line to buy one.

Heh, my biggest disappointment with the pros was that the dvd drive wasn't optional, there was no way you could ask Apple to install an SSD in place of the DVD drive. That would be a killer feature in my opinion.

ntrigue
Jun 29, 2011, 07:43 PM
What is the history of OS releases to hardware releases?

Especially if OS discs are not included Apple will wait for Lion to be installed.

I'm too lazy but I doubt any hardware has been released within 30 days of an OS X update.

ntrigue
Jun 29, 2011, 07:51 PM
What is the history of OS releases to hardware releases?

Especially if OS discs are not included Apple will wait for Lion to be installed.

I'm too lazy but I doubt any hardware has been released within 30 days of an OS X update.

Not so lazy afterall.

The closest release was iMac on July 27, 2010 and Snow Leopard on August 28, 2010. In a way I was correct, day 31 new OS.

Interestingly, last year, Macbook Air was the released well after Snow Leopard by 90 days.

Dark Void
Jun 29, 2011, 08:12 PM
pretty excited to see these when they actually launch.

Yumunum
Jun 29, 2011, 08:21 PM
Just breath, dammit!

Tell me how I'm supposed to breath with no Air

Can't live, can't breath no Air

No Air, no Air

hotcocoa
Jun 29, 2011, 08:23 PM

The more I think about it this seems like a good approach.

Basically one officially supported option that works well for most people, but some unofficial options available to more technical users.

twoodcc
Jun 29, 2011, 08:33 PM
i hope it comes in early July

KnightWRX
Jun 30, 2011, 04:15 AM
The more I think about it this seems like a good approach.

A good approach if you wish to limit adoption, reduce your potential market and gauge your customers out of money for expensive servicing past warranty yeah. ;)

Red Warrior
Jun 30, 2011, 06:16 AM
If everyone is so sure the new air will be out in a few weeks why have you not updated your buyers guide to say "do not buy updTes soon". It still just says only buy if you have to.

I'm really looking forward to the refresh and hope for an sd card in the 11" model. If not then I'll be getting the 13"

Apple Expert
Jun 30, 2011, 08:52 AM
I have the money to purchase a new ultimate 13" MBA. If they don't have a back lite keyboard, I guess I'll be buying a stupid MBP. :(

rcalderoni
Jun 30, 2011, 09:31 AM
So many people are complaining that they have to wait so I thought I'd come complain as well. I just bought the MBA 11" less than 2 months ago...

I wonder if I will be glad for snagging the NVIDIA model?

Either way, I can't imagine noticing too much of a performance boost seeing as the SSD already makes this 2010 model feel multiple times faster than my i7 Thinkpad, which is obviously not really the case.

However, it probably will be way better and you guys will be glad you waited. And I will probably sell this thing and take a 200-300 loss just to upgrade.

**** I'll probably do that even if it's not that much better just to make myself feel better.

/r/firstworldproblems

zurich1900
Jun 30, 2011, 04:47 PM
As the owner of a MacBook Pro and an ipad---switched from Windows in 2008 and never looked back, also my kid has a MacBook Pro---I am as interested and as enthusiastic as most of the other Mac users on this site about the forthcoming Lion and MacBook Air upgrade. However, although most of the wish-list hopes expressed here for the upgraded MacBook Air relate to backlit keyboard or 4 G Ram standard or larger SSD standard, improved graphics, etc. (all of which I would welcome) the one thing that as far as I can tell no one mentions is built-in 3G. For those of us who spend a good deal of time on the road for business the addition of 3G on the new MacBook Air would be a deal closer. I know that if the current MacBook Pro had 3G I would have grabbed one last year when the last upgrade took place. Not everyplace in the world (or the US) has convenient free wi-fi (or paid for that matter) and there have been many, many occasions in the past few years when I have been traveling and wished I had a MacBook Air with 3G and with monthly pay as you go options similar to the ipad. I seems to me this should be a no-brainer for any ultra portable---even the Google Chromebook has 3G with a month to month option. Why has Apple not gone this route with the MacBook Air? Cost? Weight? No demand? Just asking.

Yumunum
Jun 30, 2011, 05:00 PM
As the owner of a MacBook Pro and an ipad---switched from Windows in 2008 and never looked back, also my kid has a MacBook Pro---I am as interested and as enthusiastic as most of the other Mac users on this site about the forthcoming Lion and MacBook Air upgrade. However, although most of the wish-list hopes expressed here for the upgraded MacBook Air relate to backlit keyboard or 4 G Ram standard or larger SSD standard, improved graphics, etc. (all of which I would welcome) the one thing that as far as I can tell no one mentions is built-in 3G. For those of us who spend a good deal of time on the road for business the addition of 3G on the new MacBook Air would be a deal closer. I know that if the current MacBook Pro had 3G I would have grabbed one last year when the last upgrade took place. Not everyplace in the world (or the US) has convenient free wi-fi (or paid for that matter) and there have been many, many occasions in the past few years when I have been traveling and wished I had a MacBook Air with 3G and with monthly pay as you go options similar to the ipad. I seems to me this should be a no-brainer for any ultra portable---even the Google Chromebook has 3G with a month to month option. Why has Apple not gone this route with the MacBook Air? Cost? Weight? No demand? Just asking.

Built in 3G would make me buy the Air immediately. I want an Air to replace my iPad but then I'd have to tether with my iPhone or something. I'm tired of computers feeling so "locked" to wherever there's Wifi

toddybody
Jun 30, 2011, 09:57 PM
Is this the MBA that was going to be released at the end of May? Or was it the June one? Ahhh...my bad (forgot to read the thread closely). Its the Mid-July one.

Azathoth
Jul 1, 2011, 04:44 AM
Built in 3G would make me buy the Air immediately. I want an Air to replace my iPad but then I'd have to tether with my iPhone or something. I'm tired of computers feeling so "locked" to wherever there's Wifi

My need for 3G support on the laptop has gone away with wireless tethering via my phone. Providers here allow wireless tether and bits-is-bits monthly rates.
Of course everyone's situation and requirements are different...

mizzytheboy
Jul 1, 2011, 06:06 AM
cool, best looking lap top i updated again!!

ace73
Jul 3, 2011, 04:26 PM
3G please!!!:):):)

Yumunum
Jul 3, 2011, 04:36 PM
3g please!!!:):):)

heck to the yes