PDA

View Full Version : Apple to Cut iPhone 3GS Price to Free With Next Update?

MacRumors
Jun 29, 2011, 08:53 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/29/apple-to-cut-iphone-3gs-price-to-free-with-next-update/)

With talk (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/27/analyst-claims-apple-may-release-349-iphone-for-prepaid-markets-this-year/) of Apple seeking to release a cheaper iPhone being revived in recent days, RBC Capital Markets analyst Mike Abramsky now weighs in to report that he believes that Apple will be keeping the iPhone 3GS around even after the next iPhone hardware update, offering the device for free with a two-year contract and at $399 for unsubsidized purchases. Apple currently sells an 8 GB iPhone 3GS for $49 on a two-year contract and $449 unsubsidized.As its entry-level iPhone strategy, Apple is expected to cut iPhone 3GS to $0 (on contract, $399 unsubsidized) in conjunction with iPhone 5 launch (we continue to expect it in September). This approach is intended to target mid-market smartphone buyers and counter Android's mid-market expansion. We expect iPhone 5 to launch at $199/$299 ($599/$699 unsubsidized), and Apple to drop iPhone 4 pricing to $99 ($499 unsubsidized).The claimed $399 price point for the unsubsidized iPhone 3GS is a bit higher than other reports have been hinting at, with the analyst report from earlier this week suggesting that Apple would try to come in at $349 for its cheaper iPhone.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/iphone_3gs_oblique.jpg

Earlier reports (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/10/apple-planning-reportedly-smaller-iphone-priced-at-200-without-contract/) had claimed that Apple was working on a smaller iPhone form factor that could allow the company to offer the device for as little as $200 unsubsidized. But while some rumblings of a new, smaller iPhone option for this year continue to float around, Abramsky believes that the "baby iPhone" will not be released until 2012, in part to fully take advantage of iCloud leverage that may not be possible as the service debuts.

Article Link: Apple to Cut iPhone 3GS Price to Free With Next Update? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/29/apple-to-cut-iphone-3gs-price-to-free-with-next-update/)

dethmaShine
Jun 29, 2011, 08:55 AM
- Essential for markets where pre-paid/post-paid plans are very popular. Among best examples would be markets like: India, China, Malaysia, etc.

I belong to India and I'm aware that almost every person who buys a phone is on a post-paid [per monthly] or a pre-paid plan. But both these plans do not include the cost of the phone. You've got to buy the phone yourself. $350 sounds like a great price for such a market.

- Lets be honest: not everyone affords an iPhone. I used to have an iPhone but at present I use Mozart7. I got a couple of Trophy7s for mom and my aunt.
Why? - work like an iPhone -- touch screen ... but cheaper than the iPhone. An iPhone 4 would have cost me close to £500. I got the other two for a total less than £500. :rolleyes:

- Not everybody carries an expensive phone. If I were to gift a phone to my little brother or probably my girlfriend, I'd buy a cheaper - non-iPhone model. If a cheaper option was there, I wouldn't have been bothered at all.

iPhone has to become cheap overtime if Apple needs to take care of some more people. They are going good with whatever they have but if they need to aggressively compete, they need a cheaper iPhone.

This is news:

http://9to5mac.com/2011/06/29/apple-gunning-for-android-in-india-with-unlocked-iphone-3gs/

Not the most reasonable price, but we shouldn't forget: this is Apple!

Apple has divulged plans to relaunch its iPhone 3GS, which was then only available through network operators like Vodafone and Airtel. The new unlocked version will come with 8GB internal storage at a very reasonable price of 19,990 Indian rupees (about $444). Apple’s latest iOS version 4.3 supports iPhone 3GS, making it a worthy opponent to similarly-priced Android devices with better hardware. Apple has also said that iOS 5 will work on iPhone 3GS though it is likely that not all features will be supported.

Something seems going.

bushido
Jun 29, 2011, 09:02 AM
lol america

i can already get the iPhone 4 for free with a 2 year contract

dethmaShine
Jun 29, 2011, 09:12 AM
lol america

Source? Link?

Chundles
Jun 29, 2011, 09:17 AM
Meh, my iPhone 4 is free on a two year contract.

wordoflife
Jun 29, 2011, 09:19 AM
Source? Link?

In Europe, mainly countries like the UK (and even Canada ... yes I am aware that is not in Europe) get the iPhone 4 for dirt cheap or even free provided you sign a contract. Carriers in the US are very greedy.

Back to the article ... why would they keep the 3GS? It's going to be 2 generations behind...

Zimmer62943
Jun 29, 2011, 09:24 AM
lol america

Haha, same, America your living in the past

Source? Link?

Source? Me and Australia
Link? optus.com.au telstra.com.au vodafone.com.au three.com.au and any other australian telecom company. we are always able to get the iphone free with 2 year contract even from day 1.

Ivan0310
Jun 29, 2011, 09:38 AM
Just out of curiosity, I decided to browse the Vodafone Australia phones and plan. Man they are cheap. ::Jealous::

Ugg
Jun 29, 2011, 09:43 AM
Americans are getting ripped off so bad.

I can see keeping the 3GS for emerging markets, but I would prefer a stripped down version of current tech, rather than something that is 3 years old. If this report is true, it looks like I still won't be buying an iPhone and will have to make do with my Android.

MonkeySee....
Jun 29, 2011, 09:46 AM
Really? Is anyone going to get a phone that is soon to be 3 generations old?

My 3GS is getting tired and i'm sure iOS 5 isn't going to help. I can't wait to palm it off on the sister-in-law.

JasperJanssen
Jun 29, 2011, 10:02 AM
No way in hell.

Apple doesn't *want* to keep supporting the 3GS with new versions of iOS. It may get iOS 5, but it's unlikely to get all the new iOS 5s, let alone iOS 6.

supmango
Jun 29, 2011, 10:07 AM

My 3GS is getting tired and i'm sure iOS 5 isn't going to help. I can't wait to palm it off on the sister-in-law.

I guess your sister-in-law would...

longofest
Jun 29, 2011, 10:08 AM

There are a bunch of costs associated with having so many different product lines going at the same time. You'd either have to tool up another assembly line to do the model, or do a production run of your lowest expected volume model and then retool and switch models, which would leave inventory lying around, and we know how much Tim Cook likes inventory (http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/15/technology/cook_apple.fortune/index.htm).

Inventory, Cook has said, is "fundamentally evil," and he has been known to observe that it declines in value by 1% to 2% a week in normal times, faster in tough times like the present.

I expect Apple to stick to their previous-model and latest-model strategy and not complicate things any more than needed.

mlmwalt
Jun 29, 2011, 10:10 AM
I can't see :apple: doing it. They aren't going to want to support it once iOS5 gets too robust for it. Additionally, :apple: doesn't gain anything by keeping the 3GS alive. It would be like Aston Martin selling 2009 cars and calling them entry level 2011's. Not gonna happen...

That said, I can't wait for the iPhone 5!!!

MonkeySee....
Jun 29, 2011, 10:14 AM
I guess your sister-in-law would...

She's only 18 and uses "Pay as you go". I'm sure she will appreciate the free phone but there is no way she'd commit to a 2 year contract for old tech.

But hey, that's just my view.

acfusion29
Jun 29, 2011, 10:20 AM
i really miss my 3GS :( if that thing had a retina display and faster processor, i wouldn't have upgraded to the 4.

dont get me wrong.. the 4 is a great phone, but the 3GS feels way better in my hands.

bushido
Jun 29, 2011, 10:42 AM
Source? Link?

since day one

http://i55.tinypic.com/2ch9xqq.png

nad8e
Jun 29, 2011, 10:51 AM
Additionally, :apple: doesn't gain anything by keeping the 3GS alive. It would be like Aston Martin selling 2009 cars and calling them entry level 2011's. Not gonna happen...

They maintain and try to gain market share for their hardware and iOS.

Sign me up for a $0 entry level 2009 Aston Martin!

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 29, 2011, 10:52 AM
My guess would be if Apple did this, it would only be to clear out inventory of the 3GS around the launch of the iPhone 5. As others have stated, Apple wouldn't continue producing a product more than a single generation old.

slu
Jun 29, 2011, 11:08 AM
lol america

Laugh all you want now. We will be the ones laughing as the new iPhone gets released in the US first, probably several months before your country. Or as EVERY device/service Apple makes get released in the US before it makes it to your country - if it ever even does.

Or you could not be all smug about it....

Also, I would buy one of these for my wife. She is still on a 3G and doesn't really mind it, but she is not eligible for an upgrade as I used her's when I lost my first iPhone 4. So if I could get a $349 or $399 no committment 3GS for her I would. The wireless syncing and OTA software updates are the features she really needs from iOS 5.

MonkeySee....
Jun 29, 2011, 11:12 AM
Laugh all you want now. We will be the ones laughing as the new iPhone gets released in the US first, probably several months before your country. Or as EVERY device/service Apple makes get released in the US before it makes it to your country - if it ever even does.

Haven't the US only just iPhone, carrier free? Uk had that from day one. I appreciate you'd get the Phone maybe a week before us if at all but your carrier situation seems to be pretty poor.

Bit wierd that.

andyx3x
Jun 29, 2011, 11:22 AM

Free is the key word. People see the word free and they go nuts. They don't think about anything else.

jonnysods
Jun 29, 2011, 11:23 AM
I reckon that they should cut the 3GS right out as they won't support it soon.

I feel sorry for anyone who picks up one of those. It will be like the 3G is now very soon.

soco
Jun 29, 2011, 11:43 AM
I reckon that they should cut the 3GS right out as they won't support it soon.

I feel sorry for anyone who picks up one of those. It will be like the 3G is now very soon.

Why would they not support it? They've been supporting 2 generations back so far. Haven't they? Because I think the 3G is still in use.

Also, why would you feel sorry? The 3GS is still a phenomenal smartphone. Especially for newcomers to the smartphone world. I plan on picking up a free 3GS for my father who is unfortunately struggling with a busted HTC Aria on AT&T. Poor fella...

snebes
Jun 29, 2011, 11:48 AM
They maintain and try to gain market share for their hardware and iOS.

Sign me up for a $0 entry level 2009 Aston Martin!

Sure, but you have to pay the $1200 every few months for the oil change.

res1233
Jun 29, 2011, 11:53 AM
Haha, same, America you're living in the past

If we're living in the past, then you must see no value in the internet, or Macrumors for that matter. Very little innovation comes out of Europe anymore. If you don't see that, you're just ignorant. Apple, Intel, AMD, Microsoft (when the copier isn't running), and Google (them too) are the main sources of innovation, at least in the tech world, and they're all American-based. Europe needs to get its act together. You guys lost John Ive all those many years ago, and for good reason.

2 Replies
Jun 29, 2011, 12:26 PM
Would be nice if it means all those whiny 3G owners have no excuse not to upgrade.
I'm pretty sure everyone is sick of listening to their bitching about apps not working on their old hardware, or iOS running slow.

This would also be a great way for Apple to prime the current user-base into having decent hardware for iOS5 upon release.

shaynes
Jun 29, 2011, 01:36 PM
In Europe, mainly countries like the UK (and even Canada ... yes I am aware that is not in Europe) get the iPhone 4 for dirt cheap or even free provided you sign a contract. Carriers in the US are very greedy.

Back to the article ... why would they keep the 3GS? It's going to be 2 generations behind...

Carriers in the US also have a lot more ground to cover than the European counterparts. The government has also basically mandated that they must cover rural areas as well as the more populated regions. This leads to the higher costs of maintaining and upgrading cell towers.

Not sure about Australia, but its my understanding large parts of your country are very sparsely populated. Are these areas covered by cell towers?

7thMac
Jun 29, 2011, 01:43 PM
This is not something that is going to move markets. Why do these reports make such a big deal about the contract price of the phone? That is only a small percentage of the overall plan obligation.

jadot
Jun 29, 2011, 02:19 PM
If we're living in the past, then you must see no value in the internet, or Macrumors for that matter. Very little innovation comes out of Europe anymore. If you don't see that, you're just ignorant. Apple, Intel, AMD, Microsoft (when the copier isn't running), and Google (them too) are the main sources of innovation, at least in the tech world, and they're all American-based. Europe needs to get its act together. You guys lost John Ive all those many years ago, and for good reason.

Oh man, that's some list. Yawn...
The truth is that innovation comes from inspired individuals who couldn't give a toss about borders or patriotism. I doubt "John" Ive moved to the states with the notion that Europe was lagging - if he did he at least managed to achieve a level of education that equipped him with the tools to spell his name correctly before doing so.
etc. etc.
blah blah,
argue argue,
my country's better than yours, and so on...

Cloudsurfer
Jun 29, 2011, 02:20 PM

Europe has BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Ford (the European branch), Fiat, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Volkswagen, Ducati, KTM, Suzuki (European branch), Triumph, Airbus...

Europe is the biggest vehicle export region in the world. Most vehicle innovation in terms of tech and fuel economy originates in Europe. If you think America is the only innovative country left, you're.. well, to backfire just ignorant.

Fact of the matter is that Europe has a very different mobile phone culture than America, in part due more competition that drives companies to lower their prices. For the past decade, phones have been free or very cheap with contracts where I live. And you might not like to hear this, but that has had a significant contribution to the success of iPhone. Thanks to us humble Europeans :)

trims
Jun 29, 2011, 02:25 PM
i really miss my 3GS :( if that thing had a retina display and faster processor, i wouldn't have upgraded to the 4.

dont get me wrong.. the 4 is a great phone, but the 3GS feels way better in my hands.

So agree with this. My 3GS has a few cracks in its plasticky case, but it feels so much better in my hands the the ubiquitous 4.

Really hoping the 5 returns to a curvy case . . .

mlmwalt
Jun 29, 2011, 02:36 PM
I don't get why people are so hung up on my country is better than yours, blah, blah, blah. The economies are all so reliant on each other's that it doesn't matter. The US economy felt the ripples from the Japan disasters, and will feel the EU pain of propping up Greece et al. The US is awesome due to innovations from around the world, hence the melting pot stuff. Though, as an American, I do dig the beaches, grub and cheap tequila of Mexico. Knock on wood that I've never had to use the healthcare system down there though, or been around when the drug violence breaks out. :cool:

bushido
Jun 29, 2011, 02:47 PM

lol fail

http://cdn.zath.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/apple-iphone-4-steve-jobs-wwdc-keynote-release-date-june-24.jpg

TEG
Jun 29, 2011, 03:09 PM
A) You can already get the iPhone 3GS from at&t for 1¢ or $29 refurbished (the former with some cosmetic issues).
B) In the US, you are charged the same for the phone, regardless of the plan (or Tariff) you choose, whereas, I see that other countries (except Canada) adjust the prices based on the plan. In the US people are very concerned about changing their plans within their contract, which is why they don't adjust the phone cost based on plan. I'm not sure how it works in the EU if you want to change your Tariff mid-contract, or if it is even possible.
C) If anyone is in the past, it is Canada, since they have to have 3-year contracts.

TEG

bushido
Jun 29, 2011, 03:30 PM
A)I'm not sure how it works in the EU if you want to change your Tariff mid-contract, or if it is even possible.

TEG

u can change to a plan of the same or higher price at any time here and to a lower plan after 12 months or right away if ur really good at persuading the costumer hotline ^^

Gasu E.
Jun 29, 2011, 03:35 PM
Fact of the matter is that Europe has a very different mobile phone culture than America, in part due more competition that drives companies to lower their prices. For the past decade, phones have been free or very cheap with contracts where I live. And you might not like to hear this, but that has had a significant contribution to the success of iPhone. Thanks to us humble Europeans :)

Having a few years under my belt, and having traveled to Europe many, many times over the years I can tell you the basic reason Europe has a superior wireless carrier system to the US is: Europe needed it more. In the wired phone world, for me, going to Europe back in the day was like going to a third world country. The US had (and still has, if you want it) universal wired access to even the remotest areas at prices that even the poorest people could afford. Twenty years ago >99% of American households had wired phones. Contrast that with Europe, where service in many developed countries (England and France among them) was spotty, poor quality, and frequently missing even in urban working class homes.

In contrast to Europe, wireless in the US has historically been a convenience, not a necessity. Most people of my parents generation (over 80's) either don't bother with it or have a little-used phone they share solely "for emergencies". That's changing, of course, but I think that's been the core of the difference.

ryan2714
Jun 29, 2011, 03:44 PM
I paid $600 for my first iPhone and had to sign a 2yr contract.

slu
Jun 29, 2011, 03:56 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

lol fail

http://cdn.zath.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/apple-iphone-4-steve-jobs-wwdc-keynote-release-date-june-24.jpg

No "fail" at all. You missed the point of my post, which was that "bragging" about getting a phone "free" with contract is silly when people from other countries can just point to something else they have and you don't. And it is especially silly in the case of the US, which in most cases gets everything first. Your little picture doesn't change any of that.

jacksonkeller
Jun 29, 2011, 05:48 PM
Having a few years under my belt, and having traveled to Europe many, many times over the years I can tell you the basic reason Europe has a superior wireless carrier system to the US is: Europe needed it more. In the wired phone world, for me, going to Europe back in the day was like going to a third world country. The US had (and still has, if you want it) universal wired access to even the remotest areas at prices that even the poorest people could afford. Twenty years ago >99% of American households had wired phones. Contrast that with Europe, where service in many developed countries (England and France among them) was spotty, poor quality, and frequently missing even in urban working class homes.

In contrast to Europe, wireless in the US has historically been a convenience, not a necessity. Most people of my parents generation (over 80's) either don't bother with it or have a little-used phone they share solely "for emergencies". That's changing, of course, but I think that's been the core of the difference.
In the US more like 50 years ago.

Drag'nGT
Jun 29, 2011, 06:18 PM
My prediction a few months back after seeing a surge in 3GS phones at work and school got me thinking Apple might go with something like this:

3GS - $49
iPhone 4 - $99
iPhone 5 - $199-299

Most of the people with the 3GS have no clue what the difference between the 3GS and i4. Those people "just want an iPhone." Simple. Give them 3 levels to choose from. iOS5 runs on all three.

jcuk
Jun 29, 2011, 07:34 PM
3GS is an excellent phone and should continue to sell, post ip5.

I agree with the recent comments on the way ip4 feels in the hands compared to the curved shape of yesterphone. I previously owned an ip3G and chose to go with HTC's desire due to both price of the ip4 and also the rigid shape / feel.

Going back to comments previously on the iPhone being free in the UK and eurozone countries, it works out around the same.

At current exchange rates:

UK
iPhone 4 White 16Gb - 1Gb of Data / ~1000Mins / ~5000 Texts
$0 Up Front / $72.30 per month (This is £0.00 Up front & £45.00/month)
24 Month contract

US
iPhone 4 White 16Gb - Unlimited Data / ~450 Mins / ~5000 Texts
$199 Up Front / $89.98 / $35.00 Activation Fee
24 Month Contract

So to conclude...

UK - Total Cost of Ownership
£1080 ($1735)

US - Total Cost of Ownership
£1489 ($2393)

If my maths serves me well thats a £409 / $658 increase just for living in the US. Frankly even if you did get everything first, it's still not worth it.

Please dis-regard my last stated comment "it works out around the same."

I will however say thanks to the innovation in technology that the U.S has punted out over the last few years, even if it was all possible thanks to my fellow scot, Alex G Bell.

Have a nice day :)

ESPN
Jun 29, 2011, 08:59 PM
since day one

Image (http://i55.tinypic.com/2ch9xqq.png)

wtf, .....At&t and their greediness

MonkeySee....
Jun 30, 2011, 06:08 AM
My prediction a few months back after seeing a surge in 3GS phones at work and school got me thinking Apple might go with something like this:

3GS - $49
iPhone 4 - $99
iPhone 5 - $199-299

Most of the people with the 3GS have no clue what the difference between the 3GS and i4. Those people "just want an iPhone." Simple. Give them 3 levels to choose from. iOS5 runs on all three.

Wait....Wut?

I'd say 80% of 3GS owners know the difference between the two but are tied into a 2 year contract and missed the boat on the iPhone4.

iPhone 5 will see a surge of users upgrading from the 3GS and of course new customers jumping on the iPhone bandwagon on its way to Awesomeness.

Winni
Jun 30, 2011, 07:04 AM

You conveniently forgot to mention that non only Mr Ive, but actually most of the innovative people working for those companies are not born Americans but imported foreigners - and that too for good reason.

You also conveniently ignored that while the USA might be leading in the computer industry, at least when we're talking about software, other nations are leading in other industries. Just to give two examples, Germany is still the leading nation when it comes to the automobile industry and when your money is in bioengineering, you will make sure that you spend it in Asia. Oh, and ARM Ltd, the guys who actually design the CPU architecture that is used in your precious Apple iGadgets, are a British company and Apple is just one of their many licensees. And when you remove the Motorola group from the picture, you will quickly discover that America is not a real player at all in the telecommunications arena at all - a certain Finnish and several Asian companies dominate that market and even manufacture the hardware components used in the iGadgets.

But you are right, the US of America still are a nation that pumps money into new products and new markets and new ideas while in Europe everybody is just too conservative for it or too scared to lose their investment. But when the bubble bursts and the American economy flushes down the drain, you get to understand why European money is invested more carefully.

gaz81
Jun 30, 2011, 09:45 AM
I was just about to say some of that!

You conveniently forgot to mention that non only Mr Ive, but actually most of the innovative people working for those companies are not born Americans but imported foreigners - and that too for good reason.

You also conveniently ignored that while the USA might be leading in the computer industry, at least when we're talking about software, other nations are leading in other industries. Just to give two examples, Germany is still the leading nation when it comes to the automobile industry and when your money is in bioengineering, you will make sure that you spend it in Asia. Oh, and ARM Ltd, the guys who actually design the CPU architecture that is used in your precious Apple iGadgets, are a British company and Apple is just one of their many licensees. And when you remove the Motorola group from the picture, you will quickly discover that America is not a real player at all in the telecommunications arena at all - a certain Finnish and several Asian companies dominate that market and even manufacture the hardware components used in the iGadgets.

But you are right, the US of America still are a nation that pumps money into new products and new markets and new ideas while in Europe everybody is just too conservative for it or too scared to lose their investment. But when the bubble bursts and the American economy flushes down the drain, you get to understand why European money is invested more carefully.

zipster
Jun 30, 2011, 10:43 AM

Also, I would buy one of these for my wife. She is still on a 3G and doesn't really mind it, but she is not eligible for an upgrade as I used her's when I lost my first iPhone 4. So if I could get a $349 or $399 no committment 3GS for her I would. The wireless syncing and OTA software updates are the features she really needs from iOS 5.

WOW @ this Americano bravado. :rolleyes:

slu
Jun 30, 2011, 11:51 AM
wow @ this americano bravado. :rolleyes:

the point of my post was that being smug about tech is silly!!!

winston1236
Jul 1, 2011, 09:53 AM

Source? Me and Australia
Link? optus.com.au telstra.com.au vodafone.com.au three.com.au and any other australian telecom company. we are always able to get the iphone free with 2 year contract even from day 1.

iPhone 4 32GB White &
$59 Freedom Connect Plan for 24 Months
See all plans
iPhone 4 32GB White
Faster performance
Revolutionary mobile phone
Great widescreen iPod
Breakthrough Internet device
Maps with GPS + digital compass1
HD Video recording
5 megapixel camera with LED flash
Voice Control
Messages with MMS support
Thousands of apps on the App Store
32GB

See all phones
$59 Freedom Connect Plan
'I want great value with the flexibility to call any Australian network, anytime'
Contract: 24 months
Monthly Cost: $59.00 per month
Member Credit: $15.00 per month
Upfront Cost: $0.00
Repayment Cost: $35.00 per month
Min. Total Cost: $2256.00

You call that free???

zumajoe
Jul 1, 2011, 08:11 PM

Source? Me and Australia

Last time I went to Australia a t-shirt from a surfshop costed $50.00 AU. I guess that's considered living in the future?

Nostromo
Jul 2, 2011, 01:29 AM
The real cost of an iPhone is the data plan.

So why should I want a phone, that, while pretty, is also pretty much outdated?

AaronEdwards
Jul 2, 2011, 10:46 AM
An iPhone 3GS for FREE!!!! I'll take one!

Oh. I would be tied to a two year old contract with an already outdated phone?

No thanks.

One thing matters, and one thing only, the total cost during the contract period.

Either people are ignorant and can't understand that, or they aren't and are hoping for ignorant people to not understand.

atomwork
Jul 2, 2011, 12:23 PM

You are dead wrong, europe is light speed ahead od us. Don't hate em, we should rather force congress not to allow the AT&T / t-mobile merger. Otherwise 70% of cellphones in the US are stuck with At&t. More competition would allow us to buy an iPhone for 1 dollar too. It's that republican thinking that screws with our pockets.

jjallison1
Jul 2, 2011, 04:09 PM
lol america

Yes, because your government masters have created laws that force the issue on the carriers there. Unfortunately for us Americans we have to pay more then we would other wise to subsidize you all. Ah yes, socialism at its finest....

The capable support the inept.

atomwork
Jul 2, 2011, 04:34 PM
Yes, because your government masters have created laws that force the issue on the carriers there. Unfortunately for us Americans we have to pay more then we would other wise to subsidize you all. Ah yes, socialism at its finest....

no its not. Europe started back in 1994 with small and cheaper cellphones and text (SMS) messages. We are unfortunately behind the eight ball. I am sure soon the carriers will drop prices if more competition arrives. I do hope T-Mobile get's the iphone 5. Because that $79 plan (unlimited) looks much better than the $120 from ATT. Remember a country like Germany has 5-6 carriers. We should have on the east coast 5-6 alone.

gkpm
Jul 2, 2011, 07:27 PM

Yeah, go on blame it on Europe the fact that the leaders of your nation are a bunch of cheaters and liars.

Break up monopolies like Bell System (AT&T) only to have them reunite again to screw customers over. What a joke of a system.

So go on ignore your problems while you blame others. Doesn't solve anything but it's easier that way.

Oh and thanks for ruining the global economy with your toxic investments and subprime mortgages.

Ugg
Jul 2, 2011, 08:29 PM

Could you please explain how American wireless providers are subsidizing European wireless providers? AFAIK, the only Euro carrier with any presence in the US is T-Mobile which is about to be swallowed up by monopolistic ATT.

Europe was very fortunate in that they established GSM as a Euro wide standard. The US with its capitalistic blinders, allowed multiple standards to operate, therefore balkanizing the system so thoroughly that the providers spend enormous sums duplicating services which of course the US consumer has to pay for. Europe also encourages innovation by not locking phones to providers. 4G penetration is light years ahead in Europe and will be for a decade to come.

All American consumers are doing is fattening the pockets of ATT and Verizon.

BookMan1979
Jul 2, 2011, 11:40 PM
I would, if it were cheap enough. And since my budget is different than yours, what is cheap for me may not be cheap for you.

Also, if there's a way to upgrade the security features of the OS, then along with the cheap price, I don't mind having something a few generations old.

formerpc
Jul 3, 2011, 01:10 AM

I work with a fellow who has a 3GS and has iOS 5 installed on it. The result? It's faster and he now has more free space available on the phone. :)

zumajoe
Jul 3, 2011, 01:51 AM
Yeah, go on blame it on Europe the fact that the leaders of your nation are a bunch of cheaters and liars.

Break up monopolies like Bell System (AT&T) only to have them reunite again to screw customers over. What a joke of a system.

So go on ignore your problems while you blame others. Doesn't solve anything but it's easier that way.

Oh and thanks for ruining the global economy with your toxic investments and subprime mortgages.

Yeah, European union... nobody got screwed in THAT deal now did they? :D

gkpm
Jul 3, 2011, 03:20 AM
Yeah, European union... nobody got screwed in THAT deal now did they? :D

Who did the European Union deal screw?

You've been reading too many tabloids. Go look at the real numbers instead.

WeegieMac
Jul 3, 2011, 11:57 AM
Right, enough of the US vs European "we invented what" arguments ...

Or us Scots will take back the TV, the telephone, and Penicillin. :rolleyes:

zumajoe
Jul 3, 2011, 01:13 PM
Who did the European Union deal screw?

You've been reading too many tabloids. Go look at the real numbers instead.

The ones that show Germany bailing everyone else out?

gkpm
Jul 3, 2011, 04:00 PM
The ones that show Germany bailing everyone else out?

http://www.businessinsider.com/germany-benefits-from-the-eurozone-2011-4

Germany has profited immensely with Europe and the Euro, for a variety of reasons including those in that article, plus other things like easy access to cheap labor. Their banks would also stand to be the biggest losers if any any country in the Eurozone would default, that's why they are joining the bailout.

Jul 3, 2011, 06:14 PM
Not sure about Australia, but its my understanding large parts of your country are very sparsely populated. Are these areas covered by cell towers?

99% of the population is covered by the Telstra Next G Network (UMTS 850) . That is 2.1 Million Square kilometers. This Network also supports speeds up to 42 Mbits per second in capital cities and speeds up to 8 Mbits per second in other areas. And Lte is starting to be turned on.

I love how there is heaps more 3G coverage than 2G(96% Population)

The nearest competitor in coverage is optus with it's dual band 900 / 2100 MHz UMTS network which covers 97.3 % of the population with 750,000km2 of land coverage.

And the crapiest company vodaphone only has 94% population coverage with their crappy 3G network

gpat
Jul 4, 2011, 06:13 AM
I think this will be a great move. The iPhone 3GS is just as fast as the 4, and i think it will last just as long. But it feels inferior: worse materials, worse display, no FaceTime, worse camera, etc. But you can still enjoy a zippy system, iCloud, iMessage, and the awesome Apple app base. I think it will be well placed at half the price of the iPhone 5 unlocked... 599€ vs 299€ feels right. You could get a Galaxy S for that much, but the average customer will still get the 3GS over the Android.

D-Dave
Jul 4, 2011, 09:30 AM
http://www.businessinsider.com/germany-benefits-from-the-eurozone-2011-4

Germany has profited immensely with Europe and the Euro, for a variety of reasons including those in that article, plus other things like easy access to cheap labor. Their banks would also stand to be the biggest losers if any any country in the Eurozone would default, that's why they are joining the bailout.

That article is about the most funny thing i read all week, thanks for that.

The main difference between Germany and the larger portion oif the european union is that it's export focus is not within the union but with asia and this trend is increasing. (rise in exports/imports from 09 to 10 within union 10,94%/10,25%, Asia 36,35%/31,95%, Rest of the world 17,69%/12,83%)

Adding to this that the average cost per hour of labor is the second highest in the union (35,60 €, Union Average 28,90 € and Greece only 13,80€) but the cost of production has only rise by 7% (lowest in union, average 20% !!!) you get the picture that they have done everything to get more competitive.

Now the real problem is that those nations that are not as competitive always had the chance to just drop the value of thheir own currecy to be more competitive on the global market. The euro has taken away this option and the other countrys have to compete on even terms with germany.

To quote french Christine Lagarde:
„Clearly Germany has done an awfully good job in the last 10 years or so, improving competitiveness, putting very high pressure on its labour costs. When you look at unit labour costs to Germany, they have done a tremendous job in that respect. I‘m not sure it is sustainable model for the long term and for the whole of the group.
Clearly we need better convergence.“ (Interview in Financial Times 14.03.2010)

To sum this up let's quote Futurama:
Hermes: We can't compete with Mom! Her company is big and evil! Ours is small and neutral!
That Guy: Switzerland is small and neutral! We're more like Germany, ambitious and misunderstood!
Amy: Look, everyone wants to be like Germany, but do we really have the pure strength of will?

Data Source (in german) http://www.bonner-unternehmertage.de/downloads/3-29-116/8%20Aktuelles%20zur%20Finanz-%20und%20Wirtschaftslage.pdf