PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Supplies Tightening at Third-Party Retailers Ahead of Potential Refresh

MacRumors
Jun 29, 2011, 10:17 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/29/macbook-supplies-tightening-at-third-party-retailers-ahead-of-potential-refresh/)

AppleInsider notes (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/29/supply_of_apples_white_macbook_severely_constrained_ahead_of_lion_debut.html) that MacBook supplies have become "severely constrained" at a number of third-party retailers, suggesting that Apple may be drawing down stocks ahead of a refresh.Specifically, Amazon, MacConnection, On Sale and J&R are all out of stock. In addition, inventory of the entry-level portable is low at DataVision.

In addition, one of Europe's largest distributors is completely out of stock of the white MacBook, and lists no estimated time of arrival for new shipments. Sources indicated that this is unusual, but not necessarily a sign that the current model will be discontinued.Shipping estimates for orders made through Apple's online stores around the world remain at "within 24 hours", suggesting that the shortages have not yet extended to Apple's own distribution channels. But shortages at third-party retailers are frequently the first indications of Apple preparing to release updated models.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/macbook_2010.jpg

As noted in our Buyer's Guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook), Apple is well overdue for a MacBook refresh as judged by its usual update cycle, having last updated the MacBook in May 2010 (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/18/apple-updates-white-macbook-to-2-4ghz-and-nvidia-geforce-320m/).

Rumors of updated MacBooks have been essentially nonexistent, although the Machine will presumably make the shift to Intel's Sandy Bridge platform and include Thunderbolt support. And while no specific timeframe for an update has been offered, the line is clearly one of many including the MacBook Air, Mac Pro and Mac mini that are due for an update. Apple has been said to be holding new hardware launches (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/16/apple-holding-new-mac-hardware-updates-until-os-x-lion-launches/) until OS X Lion is ready, and so we may see a flood of new releases once the operating system debuts next month.

Article Link: MacBook Supplies Tightening at Third-Party Retailers Ahead of Potential Refresh (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/29/macbook-supplies-tightening-at-third-party-retailers-ahead-of-potential-refresh/)

KnightWRX
Jun 29, 2011, 10:19 AM
Fixed that there for you.

dagamer34
Jun 29, 2011, 10:20 AM
The new MacBook Air should just replace the MacBook. It serves no purpose anymore.

wordoflife
Jun 29, 2011, 10:22 AM
Thank goodness, it's been waaaaaaay too long.

The new MacBook Air should just replace the MacBook. It serves no purpose anymore.

I don't understand this. The MacBook is more powerful than the Air (I believe), is more upgradable, more feature packed (dvd drive) and is cheaper than the MacBook Pro. And the only way to get a bigger screened MacBook Air is if you fork up 1500ish.

jasonxneo
Jun 29, 2011, 10:22 AM
Are these the ones that have the thunderbolt?

longofest
Jun 29, 2011, 10:23 AM
I'm not certain the MacBook would get Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is such a high-end connectivity standard and adds additional cost to the device that I could see Apple opting to wait until the next iteration for Thunderbolt support, since the MacBook is purely aimed at the entry level.

Kissaragi
Jun 29, 2011, 10:24 AM
Way overdue. Be cool if they went back to blackbook style.

longofest
Jun 29, 2011, 10:26 AM

At the $999 price point, the MacBook Air has a bunch of restrictions that the MacBook doesn't, notably:

no optical drive
11 vs 13" screen
64 GB vs 250 GB hard drive

shanmugam
Jun 29, 2011, 10:27 AM
RAM upgradable, Hard drive upgradable and faster MacBook going to be replaced with MacBook AIR?

and you going to upgrade to $1199 to real laptop.

I am not worried about the guys who want to have MBA as second computer or third computer.

MacBook at $999 is the best entry level laptop in apple line up.

please do not spread this rumor unless MBA has a minimum 4GB RAM and 128GB hard drive space.

617arg
Jun 29, 2011, 10:28 AM
it's looking more and more like Apple will be releasing new hardware across the board to pair with Lion.

Bubba Satori
Jun 29, 2011, 10:30 AM
That's a nice $600 laptop.

orfeas0
Jun 29, 2011, 10:30 AM
RAM upgradable, Hard drive upgradable and faster MacBook going to be replaced with MacBook AIR?

and you going to upgrade to $1199 to real laptop.

I am not worried about the guys who want to have MBA as second computer or third computer.

MacBook at $999 is the best entry level laptop in apple line up.

please do not spread this rumor unless MBA has a minimum 4GB RAM and 128GB hard drive space.
to be fair, the white macbook (current model) has only 2gb too (with 4gb bto ofc). But yea, if it does get refreshed, it will get to 4gb standard. probably will have the same specs as the 13" mbp, as it always had...

davjaxn
Jun 29, 2011, 10:31 AM

Not sure I would go so far as to say it servers no purpose compared to the (identically priced) Air. Larger screen, 4X the storage space, superdrive, more IO, upgradable RAM...

I love the Air (in fact I will place an order for one for my wife the day the new ones are released) but the MacBook is still a great entry level computer with a bit more muscle and storage. I would love to see an updated version to replace my 3.5 year old iMac.

shanmugam
Jun 29, 2011, 10:32 AM
to be fair, the white macbook (current model) has only 2gb too (with 4gb bto ofc). But yea, if it does get refreshed, it will get to 4gb standard. probably will have the same specs as the 13" mbp, as it always had...

for $50 from newegg you can upgrade the RAM to 8GB.

you do not have option in MBA.

FasterQuieter
Jun 29, 2011, 10:32 AM
If they are intent on keeping the MacBook they ought to stick a weak non-hyperthread enabled i5 or i3 in there and charge $799. Otherwise, I don't see the point of it.

CplBadboy
Jun 29, 2011, 10:35 AM

+1 on that. The Macbook Air is the future of notebooks. See no point in the horrible garish white Macbook anymore. It looks waaaay outta place in the mac line up.

orfeas0
Jun 29, 2011, 10:36 AM
If they are intent on keeping the MacBook they ought to stick a weak non-hyperthread enabled i5 or i3 in there and charge $799. Otherwise, I don't see the point of it.

it's purpose will be like it has always been, and at the 999$ price: A cheaper, plastic macbook pro which lacks 1-2 ports.

bushido
Jun 29, 2011, 10:38 AM
i was supposed to get a mac book last year but ordered a macbook pro by mistake xD haven't regretted it at all

oh and women still prefer the white plastic mac book and don't care much about the specs i believe

longofest
Jun 29, 2011, 10:38 AM

You're taking the view of other PC manufacturers... remember, Apple's average markup on computers is around $300, whereas other manufacturers are around $50 or below.

No, Apple will use an i3 or an i5, and still stick to a $999 price point.

Eidorian
Jun 29, 2011, 10:39 AM
1440 x 900 or bust.

iphone1105
Jun 29, 2011, 10:41 AM
As a proud Macbook owner(6,1 model). I must say, I could have afforded the MBP but honestly, I wanted a white laptop. I upgraded the RAM and HD on the cheap from OWC. Couldn't be happier. Love the color mostly, some will say thats dumb, I say dont tell me how to spend my money :)

ipoppy
Jun 29, 2011, 10:43 AM
Not care for girly Macbooks. Where the hell is my SUPERDRIVELESS MBP instead.
By the way....sorry for going off topic ;)

Discoverer
Jun 29, 2011, 10:44 AM
MacBook is for poor people who can't afford something decent, so yes, I think Apple will keep selling them and will update them soon.

macnisse
Jun 29, 2011, 10:44 AM
Wonder if this will be the last update for the macbook... or maybe it will be replaced by the 7 inch MBA... hmm :rolleyes:

justinfreid
Jun 29, 2011, 10:46 AM
MacBook Supplies Tightening at Third-Party Retailers Ahead of discontinuation

I agree. I think Apple may be rolling the MacBook into the MacBook Air. Death to the optical drive.

Cynicalone
Jun 29, 2011, 10:46 AM
I think life is over for the white MacBook. Apple will say the Air is the entry level MacBook. Sure you could say the MacBook is more feature packed but Apple will just say if you need those features get a MacBook Pro.

iphone1105
Jun 29, 2011, 10:48 AM
MacBook is for poor people who can't afford something decent, so yes, I think Apple will keep selling them and will update them soon.

Yeah, the poor people who drop a grand on a laptop, please let me always be poor like that!:rolleyes:

Crzyrio
Jun 29, 2011, 10:48 AM
I dont see anything wrong with the MacBook. The specs are almost the same, barely any difference once updated. just 2GB less ram and it is updated a little behind the PROS. Only thing missing is the fancy stuff like Aluminum case and back light, which i dont need at all.

My current macbook is 2.4GHZ C2D, 8GB Ram, 500GB HD. What more do i need?
I bought this when the Macbook Pro's had the C2D's aswell.

Also, i feel they are more sturdy. I knocked my macbook on the edge of a table and I only have a little chip on it. My class mate with a PRO knocked his up in a similar way and his casing has fully indented inwards.

Shop
Jun 29, 2011, 10:51 AM
At the $999 price point, the MacBook Air has a bunch of restrictions that the MacBook doesn't, notably:

no optical drive
11 vs 13" screen
64 GB vs 250 GB hard drive

The 11" screen is more of a feature than a restriction.

Jumpthrough
Jun 29, 2011, 10:51 AM
Based solely off the looks of this machine-I would never even consider buying one. That white plastic :eek:!!

I b-lined it straight to the steel.
FYI:I am also a woman

World Citizen
Jun 29, 2011, 10:54 AM
btw, I was in 4 stores yesterday to buy an iPod Nano... they seem to be gone everywhere....

At last in 1 store they had 4 of them... I was glad I could pick up a silver one..

Cynicalone
Jun 29, 2011, 10:57 AM
The way to differentiate the MacBook is to move the price down to $599 or $699. But Apple would never do this, it would end up canablizing the iPad sales.

So the MacBook is done. It has no place in the lineup.

BraveSirStanley
Jun 29, 2011, 10:59 AM
The entry level Macbook deserves Apple's utmost care and attention and should never be retired. Tentative PC users buy them, kids own them, my Gran has one, and serious users rely on them equally. After all, at the last refresh they were an equal machine to the entry level MBP (with a bigger hard drive, too). If Apple wants to continue its growth in the Mac/PC marketshare then it's not all about those with shiny MBPs in the nearest Starbucks running Final Draft. It's about people considering a new machine, possibly new to Mac, and buying it. Also - obviously - it's a bloody good and powerful laptop. Apple know never to drop it.

cvaldes
Jun 29, 2011, 11:00 AM
MacBook Supplies Tightening at Third-Party Retailers Ahead of discontinuation
Do you really think the MacBook Air is the right item for the educational market?

I think the white MacBook still has a place in schools. My guess is that Apple's margin on this particular product is pretty good.

azentropy
Jun 29, 2011, 11:01 AM
Based solely off the looks of this machine-I would never even consider buying one. That white plastic :eek:!!

The look and the texture of the original while MacBook (although it did discolor) wasn't bad. I don't care for the look of glossy white that has been in the last couple of revisions.

KnightWRX
Jun 29, 2011, 11:02 AM
Do you really think the MacBook Air is the right item for the educational market?

It doesn't matter what anyone here thinks, Apple will do as Apple pleases.

cherishzm
Jun 29, 2011, 11:03 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Would low-end 15" MacBook make sense? 13" screen is too small for most people so 15" MacBook (of course cheaper than MBP, priced at around $1200?) would be a good seller IMO.

justinfreid
Jun 29, 2011, 11:04 AM
Aesthetics are an important factor in consumer products, and how a computer looks and feels factor into people's enjoyment and satisfaction with them as much as functional elements.

As a proud Macbook owner(6,1 model). I must say, I could have afforded the MBP but honestly, I wanted a white laptop. I upgraded the RAM and HD on the cheap from OWC. Couldn't be happier. Love the color mostly, some will say thats dumb, I say dont tell me how to spend my money :)

Maybe a MacBook Pro and ColorWare would be the better choice if color is a chief concern and you've got money to burn.
http://www.colorware.com/c-52-macbook-pros.aspx

I have to point out the MacBook Pros are made of aluminum, which is one of my favorite materials in industrial design. The band around the iPhone 4 is steel.

Jumpthrough
Jun 29, 2011, 11:06 AM
The look and the texture of the original while MacBook (although it did discolor) wasn't bad. I don't care for the look of glossy white that has been in the last couple of revisions.

Anything that looks like that should be priced a lot lower that $999-or whatever they currently have it priced at--

World Citizen
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Would low-end 15" MacBook make sense? 13" screen is too small for most people so 15" MacBook (of course cheaper than MBP, priced at around $1200?) would be a good seller IMO.

I don't think so..

Al least I wanted some kind of macbook... i First looked at a "macbook" but because I cant choose a 15" screen.. I decided to go with the "macbook Pro 15""

Thats a couple of dollars extra for Apple.

itsokay
if this is the last osx release, give us Blackbook, apple. :apple:

iphone1105
Jun 29, 2011, 11:10 AM
Maybe a MacBook Pro and ColorWare would be the better choice if color is a chief concern and you've got money to burn.
http://www.colorware.com/c-52-macbook-pros.aspx.

I considered that route to be honest, but just seemed easier to get the unit myself and just upgrade it myself too. Made it more fun I suppose. Just seemed easiest to get the white without the trouble of ordering or shipping my mac to colorware.

Good suggestion though! I have a buddy who made his iPad1 all black, it's pretty sweet!

cburton
Jun 29, 2011, 11:13 AM

No kidding ... I just picked up MBP 13 for my daughter for $999 at Microcenter. No brainer when the outdated plastic one is the same price.

The Economist
Jun 29, 2011, 11:14 AM
I wonder if this upgrade will be merely a specs update or something else?

A white MacBook was my first Mac computer, I absolutely loved it and my only complaint was that the white polycarbonate scratched easily.

Westyfield2
Jun 29, 2011, 11:17 AM
Come on Mac Minis...

dwman
Jun 29, 2011, 11:18 AM
SJ used to say this was one of their best sellers because of the lower price. Not sure that's the case since the introduction of the iPad, but despite not having the sexy look of the MBA or the Pro line, upgrading the specs and dropping the price to $799 would put this within reach of a lot of folks who couldn't afford to drop a grand on a Mac laptop.

mattraehl
Jun 29, 2011, 11:19 AM
I'm sure the profit margins are quite nice on MacBooks right now, selling 1 year old hardware for today's prices, I can't believe anyone would buy one since the spring MacBook Pro refresh, the spec difference for $200 is just silly.

i5 vs C2D, +2 GB Ram, +70 GB HD, HD Cam, backlit keyboard, .2 lbs lighter, SDXC, FW800, Thunderbolt (ha), etc

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the MacBook discontinued and more or less replaced by the Air, as others have suggested.

Jumpthrough
Jun 29, 2011, 11:23 AM
No kidding ... I just picked up MBP 13 for my daughter for $999 at Microcenter. No brainer when the outdated plastic one is the same price.

Exactly...they need to kick that dinosaur to the curb and focus on the rest of the line.

igazza

wouldn't students still need the superdrive.

Michael Scrip

I don't see how a poor person can somehow get the $1,000 for a white MacBook... but can't find $200 more for a MacBook Pro...

Michael Scrip
Jun 29, 2011, 11:25 AM
wouldn't students still need the superdrive.

Isn't there a slim USB external Superdrive?

It's not like you'd need it every day. It's so slim it'll fit in your bag if you have to carry it.

iphone1105
Jun 29, 2011, 11:29 AM
I don't see how a poor person can somehow get the $1,000 for a white MacBook... but can't find $200 more for a MacBook Pro...

Take me for example and some other thoughts.

1) I wanted a white laptop
2) At the time, my 6,1 rev model was better spec'd than the 13"MBP at the time.
3) People have preferences, maybe they like the feel and look more than the pro
4) Price, in todays world $200 is still a good chunk of change, esepcially if you don need more ports, etc...that the pro offers.
5) People spend their money how they want

Just saying, I could have easily afforded the extra $200 to get the base pro, but I wanted white, and I could upgrade my RAM and HD on the cheap myself. Now I have a nice macbook with more ram, more hd space, in a package I want. Couldn't be happier. :)

aery
Jun 29, 2011, 11:30 AM
A white MacBook was my first Mac computer, I absolutely loved it and my only complaint was that the white polycarbonate scratched easily.

It was my first Mac as well and I still think it's a great entry level device. I had the last revision before the unibody and still managed to get the dreaded cracked top case although it was a small crack. Anyway, it has now been passed on to my sister as her first Mac and I'm loving my new iMac. I would still recommend the MacBook, although at this point in time I would lean more towards the Pro.

Eidorian
Jun 29, 2011, 11:36 AM
Since everything is stuck with the Intel HD 3000, whatever is the cheapest notebook. Product differentiation gets far to vague when it comes to Apple. Once you see one part of the lineup, (9400M G, 320M, etc.) you have seen it all. It breaks down to how much you want to cough up to run OS X. For me, the least amount possible if at all.

alent1234
Jun 29, 2011, 11:37 AM

so i have to spend over $1000 to get a laptop with 500GB storage? i don't care if my itunes or photos are not on SSD s

orfeas0
Jun 29, 2011, 11:38 AM

with those 200$ you can get a white mb with an ssd and have an overall better laptop than the mbp...

Monserrat
Jun 29, 2011, 11:41 AM
:confused: I'm Not Sure If I should Wait For An Upgrade Of The MacBook (I really like that model) Or Just Get A 13'' in. Macbook Pro. What Do You Guys Think?!

*LTD*
Jun 29, 2011, 11:41 AM
Hmm . . . I'm looking to get one of these white MacBooks for my Mother, in order to replace an Acer running Ubuntu.

Price drop imminent. Better jump on it before they're all gone.

vartanarsen
Jun 29, 2011, 11:45 AM
Just saying, I could have easily afforded the extra $200 to get the base pro, but I wanted white, and I could upgrade my RAM and HD on the cheap myself. Now I have a nice macbook with more ram, more hd space, in a package I want. Couldn't be happier. :)

But you know, deep down, and secretly, you would love to have the aluminum unibody with back-lit keys

aery
Jun 29, 2011, 11:46 AM
:confused: I'm Not Sure If I should Wait For An Upgrade Of The MacBook (I really like that model) Or Just Get A 13'' in. Macbook Pro. What Do You Guys Think?!

You could always just wait and see what happens with the MacBook and then get it cheaper through Apple refurb once they either refresh or discontinue.

Nielsenius
Jun 29, 2011, 11:47 AM
You can buy a 13" MacBook Pro at Micro Center for $999. The only thing that would legitimize the MacBook (in my mind) is if its price were dropped by $100-$200. As others have said, it has no place, at the moment. Apple would probably be better off this way. The baseline MBP, MB, and MBA are way to close in price.

Tminusg
Jun 29, 2011, 11:53 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I think if apple married a mac mini with an ipad without the screen (like the desktop version of the air) and sold it for 599$ it would kill!!!!

*LTD*
Jun 29, 2011, 11:59 AM
Update: AppleBitch reports . . .

I really must see these sources. :D

akhbhaat
Jun 29, 2011, 12:00 PM
I'm one of those who feels that the white Macbook no longer has a place. I don't know if they'll kill it just yet, but it does appear to be as good as dead regardless. To wit:

1.) The design (with respect to the rest of Apple's lineup) is dated. Some people like it, but that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't really "fit" anymore, and for a company that places such an emphasis on design and aesthetic, that's important to consider.

2.) It's beyond obvious the Apple/Jobs considers iOS-style devices to represent the future of everyday computing for average users. The real "entry level" computer is the iPad. For those who demand a bit more, there's the Macbook Air (which is now available at the $1000 price point and beginning to resemble the iOS machines with flash memory, super thin/light profile, and OS X Lion). And that leaves the Macbook Pro for the developers, content creators, and power users. It doesn't matter whether or not you agree with that approach; that's apparently how Apple sees it and that's how they're going to proceed.

3.) To expand upon #2: there's now significant overlap between the Macbook and Macbook Air. Sure, you can upgrade the RAM and HDD in the white Macbook, but how many actually do? And how many even need to? My grandmother actually has a white Macbook, which she rarely uses (and certainly not to its potential). I actually agree with Steve that she'd be better off with an iPad.

If there's one thing that might keep the Macbook alive a bit longer, it's the price/capacity problems that linger with SSD storage. There are still plenty of average users out there who might otherwise be a perfect fit for the MBA, but still demand a lot of storage space. Apple may well accelerate that process by pushing people to use external drives for heavy storage (Thunderbolt should eventually help to facilitate that).

mdntcallr
Jun 29, 2011, 12:01 PM
Many people are glossing over the addition of info that Mac Mini will be getting an update.

If Mac Mini gets and update, it could be a perfect modular minitower with the addition of Thunderbolt.

All of the things you can't do to add extra graphics power, hard drives and more will be easy and upgradable with ThunderBolt.

ie, you could buy a mac mini, only need to add Ram to the unit itself, then you can add an extra Hard Drive with an upgraded graphics chip. which in turn could power a killer monitor, or heck maybe even output to Apple tv and make your living room big screen a monitor.

There is tons of potential there for Mac Mini, with the addition of LightPeak Technology, it finally gets possibilities to be more than it is when it leaves the factory

iphone1105
Jun 29, 2011, 12:04 PM
But you know, deep down, and secretly, you would love to have the aluminum unibody with back-lit keys

I dont need backlit keys, I hardly ever use my comp in pitch black or darker areas. I'm not a heavy user, and I like the white! I secretly deep down really dont want it. If anything, if I didnt love the Macbook line as much as I do, I'd get the air, just because of its ultra portability!:)

Lesser Evets
Jun 29, 2011, 12:05 PM

The "no purpose" qualifier is ridiculous.

However, I could easily see Apple dashing MacBook on the rocks to be replaced by the Air. Doubt it will happen, but they tend to do dicky things like that every so often to promote some technological thrust. I'd hope if they chop the MacBook that they would do it with a basic Air price of $899. Doubt that, too.

With Sandy Bridge and Thunderbolt, an external drive and DVD makes the Air much more desirable. You just load it up before you disconnect and you have a much more comfortable laptop/portable.

Mr. Gates
Jun 29, 2011, 12:13 PM
Make that white plastic walk the plank...

I don't care one way or another about keeping the MacBook

But that plastic.....Fisher Price

Dark Void
Jun 29, 2011, 12:15 PM
should probably lower the price. even if it does see some decent upgrades (i3/i5, 1440x900, 4gb, etc) it probably still wouldn't get bought over the entry mbp if it's still $999.

i REALLY don't understand why apple just doesn't introduce a more affordable model. of course they sell already at the current price point but it's arguable that they would sell more at a lower starting price and appeal to more people and most importantly, offer os x to more people at a more affordable price.

$800 1440x900 i3 macbook with a solid gpu. unlikely but would be nice.

orfeas0
Jun 29, 2011, 12:15 PM
I don't understand the "macbook has no purpose" line... If it gets the same specs as the 13" MBP, it will be a cheaper and plastic MB.
If you don't care about the aluminum, why would you buy an MBP13" instead of the MB? To me it makes more sense to say the 13" macbook pro doesn't fit in apple's laptop line-up...

bjett92
Jun 29, 2011, 12:24 PM
I don't think Apple will kill the white MacBook yet, but it is definitely on it's way out. Just based on observations of watching people at my local Apple Store, people are drawn to the MacBook Pros and the iPads the most. The White MacBooks are hardly shown any interest.

turtle777
Jun 29, 2011, 12:25 PM
Of course there is a purpose for an entry-level, cheap Apple laptop.

E.g., parents or older people

They don't need a light and small laptop. 11" is too small for them (bad eysight). They DO need a built-in CD/DVD, because they have a lot of music on CDs, and still buy CDs. Still, they wanna use iTunes and iPods, and rip music.

They don't care about looks (white not being "cool"). And they don't need bells and whistles (e.g. SSD instead of a HD or Thunderbolt).

Apple would be stupid to kill that market.
At least until the iPad can do things like ripping music. Really, you won't believe what a big deal this is for older generations.

-t

Patriot24
Jun 29, 2011, 12:36 PM
Just looking at the options from what I would consider to be a typical consumer's point-of-view...

The assumption I'm making here is that the consumer has a very basic knowledge of computers and an Apple employee in the retail store has walked them through the basics. Also, no after-market upgrades (Apple-offered upgrades only). I think the thought process looks something like this:

13" Macbook - $1099

Cheapest option in the notebook line (good for wallet, but what does that mean in terms of quality?)
White may or may not be appealing depending on your preferences
Decent processor that will work for most folks
Upgrade the RAM to 4GB on employee's recommendation
Possible Con to a tech savvy shopper: No SSD Option

13" Air - $1478

Flash storage (128GB) makes this machine FAST compared to other units. That is likely one of the first things any consumer is going to notice aside from aesthetics. Even though the processor doesn't have the power of the others, the consumer is unlikely to notice due to performance from SSD.
A little more expensive [+$379 over Macbook in this comparison]
Industrial design, light, thin, cool (in both sense of the word). Wow! factor cannot be underestimated with Airs.
Employee may have pointed out better screen resolution than Macbook and Macbook Pro at 13"
Upgrade RAM to 4GB on employee's recommendation
Have to purchase SuperDrive [$79]

13" Macbook Pro -$1449

I think there is a Wow! factor with Pro units. Consumers feel like they are stepping into a machine that professionals use. It is an image/ego boost.
Largely the same as the Macbook in terms of specs other than faster processor (2.7 GHz)
More expensive [+350 over Macbook]
Better aesthetics depending on personal preference
4GB RAM standard
Upgrade to 128GB Solid State Drive to put it on par with Air.

So, with all of that said, I think it is pretty clear that the Macbook still has a place in the line for folks that may not be willing to spend that extra $350/$379 to jump up to a Pro or Air. The reason that so many people continue to buy crappy Windows laptops is because of cost, like it or not.

If a consumer decides that they don't want the Macbook and that it may be worth it to spend a little extra, I think you have a fairly close race between the Air and the Pro in this scenario. The price difference is a mere $29. At that point, it becomes a trade-off between portability vs. a faster processor. Other than that, the specs are extremely similar.

In my opinion, many consumers will choose the Wow!/coolness factor of the Air over the Pro given the above scenario. It is hard to ignore how light and portable the Air is (and the better screen resolution, for the more tech savvy).

Just my 2 cents (or maybe 3). :)

amandasaurus
Jun 29, 2011, 12:50 PM
I was waiting for the MBA refresh, but if they refresh the MB and it has 4GB RAM standard and better casing, I'd be in, assuming price points stay the same. I have a 2007 MB right now, and that poor thing got scratched to hell within months of using it, even with a hard case on (apparently if dust particles manage to get in between the hard case and the laptop, it scratches even *worse*). While the MBA is a great portable machine, if I could get 13" MB instead of 11" for the same price, I'd be thrilled.

SanderEvers
Jun 29, 2011, 01:07 PM
I really don't think that Apple will stop creating MacBooks or Mac Mini's. But we'll have to wait until Lion's release to see something new :)

I have a last year's white MacBook, and I'm very - very happy with it.

Icaras
Jun 29, 2011, 01:08 PM
Take me for example and some other thoughts.

1) I wanted a white laptop
2) At the time, my 6,1 rev model was better spec'd than the 13"MBP at the time.
3) People have preferences, maybe they like the feel and look more than the pro
4) Price, in todays world $200 is still a good chunk of change, esepcially if you don need more ports, etc...that the pro offers.
5) People spend their money how they want

I like your style and your solid stance against all these naysayers. You clearly pointed out why you made your choice as a consumer and it seems absolutely logical to me.

Anyway, I do believe the Air is the future of Macbooks and if you do ask me, I think it will eventually replace the white Macbook. But like you, I also prefer the color white, so if anything, I do hope Apple has a white model (along with a black model, as that seems to be popular here) in the works. :)

bigp9998
Jun 29, 2011, 01:09 PM
Something is definitely going on with the MacBook--Apple recently dropped the student price from $949 down to $899. While there is certainly a market for a basic computer, I agree with posters who have suggested that the MacBook is on its way out. Not only is it aesthetically different from the rest of Apple's lineup, it is severely underpowered for the price.

My prediction is that Apple will get rid of the "Air" designation, and brand the MBAs with just MacBook from now on. Features like FireWire, SuperDrive, and backlit keyboard will be seen as Pro features that the average consumer no longer requires. In order to make this feasible, though, I think Apple will lower the price of the product formerly known as MacBook Air around $100 across the board. This way, users will get to choose between the 13" Pro (better performance, more features) and 13" Air (form factor/portability).

islanders
Jun 29, 2011, 01:13 PM
This makes much more sense to have several products update with the new OS.

orfeas0
Jun 29, 2011, 01:16 PM
Something is definitely going on with the MacBook--Apple recently dropped the student price from $949 down to $899. While there is certainly a market for a basic computer, I agree with posters who have suggested that the MacBook is on its way out. Not only is it aesthetically different from the rest of Apple's lineup, it is severely underpowered for the price.

It's underpowered because it hasn't been updated for so long... When they updated it regularly it was cheaper than the 13"mbp with the same specs!

My prediction is that Apple will get rid of the "Air" designation, and brand the MBAs with just MacBook from now on. Features like FireWire, SuperDrive, and backlit keyboard will be seen as Pro features that the average consumer no longer requires. In order to make this feasible, though, I think Apple will lower the price of the product formerly known as MacBook Air around $100 across the board. This way, users will get to choose between the 13" Pro (better performance, more features) and 13" Air (form factor/portability).
If the air price drops, ok. If it doesn't, and they only have an 11" at the 999$ price spot, doesn't sound very good... The 13" air (base model with 4gb ram) should be at ~1250$, and that's even a lot if you ask me.

Sodner
Jun 29, 2011, 01:18 PM

Sorry but not happening. Apple lowers its price on nothing and the "Air" name is already to well known to drop.

As someone stated ealier, it is the 13" MBP that should be the odd man out. Three 13" laptops seems like to many to me. But I believe Apple will keep all 3.

bwillwall
Jun 29, 2011, 01:21 PM

The macbook is cheaper than the Pro with a 13" screen and a super drive and power and stuff that the Air doesnt have (especially in the $1000 11" starter model) The MacBook is for people who want a cheap mac notebook that does everything they will need simple and easy. However, I beleive that apple should make the MacBook like $800-900 so there is a bigger price difference between it and the Pro, also it is probably a turn off for laptop users that Apples cheapest notebook is $1000

roman.antes
Jun 29, 2011, 01:31 PM
Aorey for off topic, but is it there any release date for Lion, or some rumor (not in July)??:confused:

bigp9998
Jun 29, 2011, 01:41 PM
Apple lowers its price on nothing

The early 2008 13" MacBook Air costed $1799.

The current 13" MacBook Air costs $1299.

What were you saying?

ufkdo
Jun 29, 2011, 01:43 PM

I don't understand why this post took so much thumbs down? I also think that with the release of new Macbook Airs, Macbook will be discontinued.

jungwook72
Jun 29, 2011, 01:51 PM
Although Macbook may not attract many individual customers, it still has substantial market for group purchase such as in library, elementary school, kindergarten, etc.

I have seen iMacs and stacked Macbooks in such places. It's still a good mac hardware at that price range for public use. I believe Apple has earned pretty good profit by selling macbook to such customers and they will not want to give up this market.

LarryC
Jun 29, 2011, 01:53 PM
I am solidly in the camp that thinks the MacBook should remain. The airs really look nice, but the incredibly small hard-drives and no optical drive are problems for me. I have been a fan of the MacBook since it was called the iBook. If they upgrade the MacBook I will very likely purchase one. And like the other poster said several times, I will buy it and eventually upgrade the HD and RAM myself. Someone also commented that this product appeals to older folks. That is probably true, I fit into that category. The MacBook has not been updated for well over 400 days now. It is way overdue for an update. Just my opinion.

I found this on another website. It is a list of the bestselling laptops on Amazon. Very interesting. The MacBook is currently at number 8 and the air is at number 18.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/pc/565108/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_pc_1_2_last?tag=5336612372-20

Icy1007
Jun 29, 2011, 01:54 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why do people think they're going to dicontinue the MacBook? Apple never discontinues anything unless they also replace it with something equivalent. IBook -> Macbook, PowerBook -> MacBook Pro, Power Mac -> Mac Pro.

KnightWRX
Jun 29, 2011, 01:57 PM
I don't understand why this post took so much thumbs down? I also think that with the release of new Macbook Airs, Macbook will be discontinued.

It got modded down so much not because people don't agree that there's a high possibility of the white Macbook being discontinued, it's that they don't like it.

cmaier
Jun 29, 2011, 02:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why do people think they're going to dicontinue the MacBook? Apple never discontinues anything unless they also replace it with something equivalent. IBook -> Macbook, PowerBook -> MacBook Pro, Power Mac -> Mac Pro.

Apple 3 -> ?
Lisa -> ?
Mac Cube -> ?
mobile me keychain syncing -> ?

amandasaurus
Jun 29, 2011, 02:16 PM
Although Macbook may not attract many individual customers, it still has substantial market for group purchase such as in library, elementary school, kindergarten, etc.

I have seen iMacs and stacked Macbooks in such places. It's still a good mac hardware at that price range for public use. I believe Apple has earned pretty good profit by selling macbook to such customers and they will not want to give up this market.

Also good for people like me who don't NEED a laptop - my iMac is my main machine - but want an affordable option to add portability when needed.

MrCrowbar
Jun 29, 2011, 02:20 PM
I could totally see Apple discontinuing the Macbook and rebrand the Macbook Air as the new Macbook. They have prepared very well for that transition:
- No need for an optical drive since you can get everything from the app store
- No need for large hard drives since you can have all your stuff on iCloud
- No need for ethernet since Universities and Starbucks have free wireless and you can tether the iPhone.

I personally use a 3 year old Macbook pro as my main computer (and an even older Mac Mini for mundane server, media center and video compression tasks) and have no intention to upgrade because it's still plenty fast. I routinely clean my systems by re-installing the OS from the ground up and only moving the applications I actually use back. Installing "professional" software really messes up any operating system it seems.

aluren
Jun 29, 2011, 02:26 PM
The MacBook has to be priced higher than the most expensive iPad at $829, otherwise it'll make the iPad seem expensive. At $999, I do think the MB still has a market for entry level, non-techie users, who knows nothing about the difference between a MB and MBP other than $200 cheaper.

I would love to see sales figures of the MB compared to MBP and MBA. I'm pretty sure it's declined drastically.

LarryC
Jun 29, 2011, 02:29 PM
The MacBook has to be priced higher than the most expensive iPad at $829, otherwise it'll make the iPad seem expensive. At $999, I do think the MB still has a market for entry level, non-techie users, who knows nothing about the difference between a MB and MBP other than $200 cheaper.

I would love to see sales figures of the MB compared to MBP and MBA. I'm pretty sure it's declined drastically.

I would suggest that you use the link in post number 86.

Sodner
Jun 29, 2011, 02:31 PM
The early 2008 13" MacBook Air costed $1799.

The current 13" MacBook Air costs $1299.

What were you saying?

You got me. :(

That being said, I do not expect ANOTHER price drop on the Air. ;)

iphone1105
Jun 29, 2011, 02:32 PM
I like your style and your solid stance against all these naysayers. You clearly pointed out why you made your choice as a consumer and it seems absolutely logical to me.

Anyway, I do believe the Air is the future of Macbooks and if you do ask me, I think it will eventually replace the white Macbook. But like you, I also prefer the color white, so if anything, I do hope Apple has a white model (along with a black model, as that seems to be popular here) in the works. :)

Hey thanks for the compliment!

I too love the white, but that old black Macbook was super sexy wasn't it?? Do you own white iphones or ipads??

I too believe the Air's are the future, but IMO that doesn't mean the others will cease to exist!

Ceddie77
Jun 29, 2011, 02:46 PM
It looks like all macs exept macbook pro and imac are heading for refresh.

MacsRgr8
Jun 29, 2011, 03:16 PM

My opinion too.
Getting rid of the optical drive makes it sooooo much easier to create a cool thin portable Mac and maybe even lower the price.
A low-spec'd 11" MacBook Air (maybe white) for $ 899
A low-spec'd 13" MacBook Air (maybe white) for $ 999

bit density
Jun 29, 2011, 03:24 PM

Except FW and Optical at a price for students. But you probably don't do music on your mac do you?

Spanky Deluxe
Jun 29, 2011, 03:24 PM
Mac Mini refresh? A quad i7 Mac Mini would be very tempting especially if it supports daisy chaining MDP monitors (or active MDP adapters).

puffnstuff
Jun 29, 2011, 03:34 PM
It makes sense to discontinue the Macbook. At the moment Apple has two entry level devices the Macbook air and the iPad.

The average consumer needs something for things like surfing the web and light word processing that is what the Air and the iPad does.

wingfaith
Jun 29, 2011, 03:41 PM
what's with all the macbook hate here? Just because you can't afford a mbp, does that mean the macbook is not a good laptop?
and i'm proud to say that i have money to buy a mbp but i will be purchasing the new fresh of macbook instead.

LeandrodaFL
Jun 29, 2011, 03:44 PM
If I were to bet, I would say Apple will discontinue it. If you compare to MBA or MBP, there is imply no reason in terms of hardware to keep it around.

However, I hope they do, I prefer the White macbook over any other apple notebook, simply because I like white keys on my keyboard. Apple used to offer the ibook in 5 colors....they changed so much...

I would like to see the white MB go ALL SSD, like the Airs, that would diferenciate it from the MBP. BTW, 13" is small nowadays, 15" standart please.

flottenheimer
Jun 29, 2011, 03:45 PM
Looking forward to see what Apple does with this one. In my opinion the MacBook needs to be reinvented. It's too close to just being a Pro in a plastic shell.

Justinf79
Jun 29, 2011, 03:45 PM
Schools/students buy up the white MB like crazy. Apple might keep it around just for that. Hopefully though a refresh brings back the black MB. :)

ftaok
Jun 29, 2011, 03:56 PM
Except FW and Optical at a price for students. But you probably don't do music on your mac do you?

The white Macbooks haven't had Firewire for several years.

Undo Redo
Jun 29, 2011, 04:27 PM
Sounds like you've never had to scrimp and save to buy anything.

dawnrazor
Jun 29, 2011, 04:46 PM
I reckon Apple will upgrade ALL their MACS once LION is released, some will be bigger updates then others, like the AIR and MB, MAC MINI and PRO, others will be minor like the iMAC and MBP. The whole family gets new clothes, and some get new shoes and hats too....

nutmac
Jun 29, 2011, 05:15 PM
Apple 3 -> ?
Lisa -> ?
Mac Cube -> ?
mobile me keychain syncing -> ?

Xserve -> ?
Final Cut Pro 7 -> ?
iDVD -> ?

MacBook:MacBook Air/Pro = eMac:iMac

Icaras
Jun 29, 2011, 05:33 PM
Hey thanks for the compliment!

I too love the white, but that old black Macbook was super sexy wasn't it?? Do you own white iphones or ipads??

I too believe the Air's are the future, but IMO that doesn't mean the others will cease to exist!

Yea, that was pretty cool. I think Apple has a desire to return to black with the Air, what with the recent rumor spill.

Yea, I own a white iPad, but a black iPhone, as it was from launch. But I did recently replace my iPhone right before warranty ended and tried to get a white one instead, but the genius guy said he had to give me one with the same part number. Oh well. :(

But as far as iPhones are concerned, I think white is definitely here to stay, so I'm definitely looking forward to a white iPhone 5. And as far as Macs go, I know people are going to disagree with me on this, but I really wish Apple would bring back the all white iMac. Ever since I got my iPad, I've really been able to appreciate the look of Apple's other white colored products more than I did before, including the Macbook. If I were in the market for a 13" Macbook and it was between the white model and the MBP, I'd go for the white Macbook (after it gets updated of course), stick an SSD and some more RAM inside, and be happy :)

Kebabselector
Jun 29, 2011, 05:54 PM
I've mentioned before my next Mac will probably be a white Macbook. I could get the MBA or MBP, but to be honest the MBA is under specified for me and the MBP comes with a worse display (well the Glass anyway).

It would be nice to see the lower price return (original Macbook was 749, though mine was 875ish).

BraveSirStanley
Jun 29, 2011, 05:58 PM

'Poor person'? I'm afraid a poor person doesn't go about buying computers, and white plastic or aluminium is probably not top of their decisions list. 'Macbooks are for poor people'.... bloody hell.

arkmannj
Jun 29, 2011, 06:01 PM
Xserve -> ?
Final Cut Pro 7 -> ?
iDVD -> ?

MacBook:MacBook Air/Pro = eMac:iMac

DVD SP ->?
Shake ->?

Sodner
Jun 29, 2011, 06:06 PM
It looks like all macs exept macbook pro and imac are heading for refresh.

Because they already have been refreshed this year.

*LTD*
Jun 29, 2011, 06:39 PM
I reckon Apple will upgrade ALL their MACS once LION is released, some will be bigger updates then others, like the AIR and MB, MAC MINI and PRO, others will be minor like the iMAC and MBP. The whole family gets new clothes, and some get new shoes and hats too....

I love this analogy.

cmaier
Jun 29, 2011, 06:48 PM
DVD SP ->?
Shake ->?

newton -> ?

soLoredd
Jun 29, 2011, 06:48 PM
My first Mac was the 2006 MacBook. What a great machine and it's still going strong as my wife uses it. I am feeling the pressure of getting her a new computer though since I just upgraded my '08 MBP for the 13" MBP. Only drawback to the MB was the cracking case. There's a nice sliver of plastic missing on the bottom right palm area.

I don't think Apple should discontinue the MacBook, just continue to improve on it's build.

! V !
Jun 29, 2011, 06:49 PM
I have a feeling that :apple: might be considering leaving the SuperDrive in the history books, considering the Mac App Store and the release of Lion. If it does not happen with this 2011 refresh it will for sure in 2012 on the consumer models. MacPro might still have it till 2013-14 till the professional industry phases into cloud computing and storage.

The same strategy was use with the Bondi Blue iMac. MBA set the stage and the iProducts just caused mass acceptance of limited physical storage and introduction of cloud storage.

MacBook is next with the MacMini and iMac soon to follow. Bye bye SuperDrive. Cannot remember the last time I have burned a DVD let alone use the SUperDrive on my iMac. I have since removed it completely and disabled the sensor and fan, which makes my iMac a silent machine considering I have an SSD to boot. :)

My first Mac was the 2006 MacBook. What a great machine and it's still going strong as my wife uses it. I am feeling the pressure of getting her a new computer though since I just upgraded my '08 MBP for the 13" MBP. Only drawback to the MB was the cracking case. There's a nice sliver of plastic missing on the bottom right palm area.

I don't think Apple should discontinue the MacBook, just continue to improve on it's build.

Problem is, if Apple removed the optical drive from the MacBook. What are they going to use the extra space for 2nd HDD/SSD or reduce the thickness comparable to the MacBook Air?

Like the floppy the optical drive days are numbered. Want to watch BluRay Movies get a player as there is no software for Mac OS at the present. Besides Steve Jobs does not seem interested in BluRay.

Eidorian
Jun 29, 2011, 07:00 PM
It got modded down so much not because people don't agree that there's a high possibility of the white Macbook being discontinued, it's that they don't like it.Also, first reply.

KnightWRX
Jun 29, 2011, 07:06 PM
Also, first reply.

You think people are jealous of not getting first post and always down rate the first one ? :confused: :eek:

Anyway, who cares about the per-post rating, it's a useless system anyhow. People down/up rate not based on actual post quality but based on some kind of twisted "hater/fanboy" logic. I just ignore the ratings all-together.

ladytonya
Jun 29, 2011, 07:18 PM
oh and women still prefer the white plastic mac book and don't care much about the specs i believe

Uh, that would be a big ole NO! The brushed aluminum is so sexy, so much nicer looking that the cheap white plastic of the MacBook. I don't need the specs of the MacBook Pro but I'm buying it instead of the MacBook ($1,099 vs. $899 with education discount). I'll pay an extra $200 for a sexier machine with HD FaceTime camera! :apple::p:apple:

orfeas0
Jun 29, 2011, 07:27 PM
I have a feeling that :apple: might be considering leaving the SuperDrive in the history books, considering the Mac App Store and the release of Lion. If it does not happen with this 2011 refresh it will for sure in 2012 on the consumer models. MacPro might still have it till 2013-14 till the professional industry phases into cloud computing and storage.

Agreed. New white macbook with ssd+hdd and without superdrive (by the way, there's nothing super about it...).
Also, is it at all possible that they release "new" macbook pros, with the small difference of dumping the odd and adding an hdd+ssd combo?

kxbcvoi
Jun 29, 2011, 07:37 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

What you want?

winston1236
Jun 29, 2011, 07:37 PM
+1 on that. The Macbook Air is the future of notebooks. See no point in the horrible garish white Macbook anymore. It looks waaaay outta place in the mac line up.

Yea way out of place if you think that every laptop made by every company must be silver

ezekielrage_99
Jun 29, 2011, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Macbook gets a new shell along with an update for the Lion release....

What I think we'll see is:
- i5
- 2GB RAM
- 200GB HDD
- No optical
- 3G/4G option
- Thundercats
- The *craptacular* intel graphics
- Higher resolution display

Ijustfarted
Jun 29, 2011, 07:59 PM
Kill it. Kill IT!

I'm hoping that killing the white macbook will make the 11" air the new macbook and also make it

4gb ram standard
128gb ssd
Better battery

pmz
Jun 29, 2011, 08:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

Either the new units are going to launch without Lion preonstalled, or lion is coming earlier than expected.

With this fast reduction of inventories, I don't see another 3 weeks going by before refresh.

gigaguy
Jun 29, 2011, 09:25 PM
Comments seem skewed by laptop users. Maybe an opinion from a 'never owned a laptop' will add something.
First off...Green, Apple likes to at least appear green. A big fat shiny white plastic laptop does not green seem. All Apple's latest, sexy thin little things are metal and glass.
Uh, remember the item that has gotten the most press from Apple the last year and a half, iPad? iPad will be the new entry level non-phone mobile device. If not now, then at least next cycle.
I personally think laptops (pre-air) were clunky, overpriced, battery challenged brick and chains. iPad, Air, and Pros, are Apples mobile PC near future.
You know Steve hates having to see the plastic beast.
I personally use Mac Mini via HDTV, and iPad. No clunky computer/screens in the house, no lugging laptops. The future is lug free.

Supa_Fly
Jun 29, 2011, 09:27 PM

^ hmm. Just cause you have money to burn doesn't mean anyone else does/doesn't. Maybe those "poor people" are smart and investing the meat of their budget for really larger purchases like a house on a new mortgage that'll double in value over the next 10yrs - especially with current mortgage rates in N.A.

I'd like to think of the MacBook as the budget developers laptop, the student laptop, or the user first coming to the Mac platform and ensuring they'll like it first before going full out!

Joelb955
Jun 29, 2011, 10:13 PM
If the new macbook at $1000 has an Nvidia GPU Im ditching my macbook "Pro" there is nothing "Pro" about integrated graphics but the salt in the wound is that it's INTEL'S Integrated graphics.... worth $1500 my ass but i love apple so much i bought it.

ezekielrage_99
Jun 29, 2011, 10:31 PM
If the new macbook at $1000 has an Nvidia GPU Im ditching my macbook "Pro" there is nothing "Pro" about integrated graphics but the salt in the wound is that it's INTEL'S Integrated graphics.... worth $1500 my ass but i love apple so much i bought it.

That just wont happen, BTW I wouldn't want an nVidia GPU they run too hot ;)

iSayuSay
Jun 29, 2011, 11:59 PM

When Macbook updated with Thunderbolt port, and then equipped with Thunderbolt SSD/HDD .. it may be the Air which has less purpose :D

There's always people who prefer this basic Macbook to Pro, or even Air .. it's a gateway to Apple's garden ... nice garden indeed :D

AppleScruff1
Jun 30, 2011, 12:43 AM

There isn't a nicer $600 laptop selling for $1000 on the market. :D

marc11
Jun 30, 2011, 12:58 AM
^ hmm. Just cause you have money to burn doesn't mean anyone else does/doesn't. Maybe those "poor people" are smart and investing the meat of their budget for really larger purchases like a house on a new mortgage that'll double in value over the next 10yrs - especially with current mortgage rates in N.A.

You mean those houses that are now worth 50% of what they were a few years ago....and being devalued daily!

dr Dunkel
Jun 30, 2011, 02:43 AM
The MacBook really makes sense. It doesn't try to be a product for make-believe professionals, it looks good and gives reasonable bang for the buck. Just go ahead and give us another!

Jerome Morrow
Jun 30, 2011, 03:02 AM
The MacBook really makes sense. It doesn't try to be a product for make-believe professionals, it looks good and gives reasonable bang for the buck. Just go ahead and give us another!

I personally love the looks, but the problem is that plastic is cracking a lot and is simply a ticking bomb.

blackburn
Jun 30, 2011, 06:05 AM
amd cpu w/ embedded radeon graphics please!
drop the optical drive and no thunderbolt.
no more nvidia please (lots of osx driver issues, no problem under windows)

seveej
Jun 30, 2011, 09:06 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; fi-fi) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't understand the "macbook has no purpose" line... If it gets the same specs as the 13" MBP, it will be a cheaper and plastic MB.
If you don't care about the aluminum, why would you buy an MBP13" instead of the MB? To me it makes more sense to say the 13" macbook pro doesn't fit in apple's laptop line-up...

I've previously made some noise about the overlap between the 11" MBA and the MB, most importantly based on price, and the facts that a# Apple was describing the new MBA's as "the next generation of MacBooks" and that specialized retailers have been hardly able to sell any MacBooks since the introduction of the new MBA's.

Conversely, I agree that in many ways the iPad is the ideal first computer for an elderly person, but the screen is not among them. The current obsession with making pixels smaller (to get more of them) is making computer use for people without 20/20 eyesight more and more troublesome. Some years ago I bought my dad (78y) a used 17" PowerBook G4 (1440x900) and he is happy with it. Some months ago I had to replace the hd, and in the meantime he tried to use my mother's 15" Mbp (same res), and was not happy with it.

Someone will need to vanguard hi-legibility modes on their os, and I can't see why iOs would not be it.

OTOH, I won't upgrade my MacBook collector's edition until the 13" MBP gets a res hike.

iphone1105
Jun 30, 2011, 10:42 AM
I personally love the looks, but the problem is that plastic is cracking a lot and is simply a ticking bomb.

I've had my unibody macbook for 2 years now, no cracks. Hell my lady has the older non unibody macbook and hers has never cracked. If you treat it with care it wont crack, it's pretty darn sturdy. Just cant beat it up like you wouldnt any laptop!

winston1236
Jun 30, 2011, 08:55 PM

I'd like to think of the MacBook as the budget developers laptop, the student laptop, or the user first coming to the Mac platform and ensuring they'll like it first before going full out!

yea its is, when coming from pc the mbp's all looked like the pc laptops i had owned while the white macbook was different, something new, so i just bought max ram, hd, everything, besides all the clowns writing "word" documents are not "pros" to begin with hahaha

winston1236
Jun 30, 2011, 08:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

Either the new units are going to launch without Lion preonstalled, or lion is coming earlier than expected.

With this fast reduction of inventories, I don't see another 3 weeks going by before refresh.

earlier than expected? apple said july and that starts tomorrow so it would be right on time not earlier

Ivanlau
Jun 30, 2011, 11:42 PM
I can see the macbook air will replace the current macbooks..
their dates for update coincide and mba is the 'next generation of macbooks'
But all i want is just a macbook pro with no optical drive...

AidenShaw
Jul 1, 2011, 05:14 AM
When Macbook updated with Thunderbolt port, and then equipped with Thunderbolt SSD/HDD .. it may be the Air which has less purpose :D

There are no TBolt hard drives or SSDs - mostly only SATA these days (some SAS/FC at the high end, and solid state PCIe storage cards at the extreme high end).

An external TBolt drive has a SATA controller and a SATA drive(s) inside of it. There's no point in using TBolt inside the cabinet, and solid state PCIe storage is far more expensive per GB than SATA SSDs.

islanders
Jul 1, 2011, 05:25 AM
I can see the macbook air will replace the current macbooks..
their dates for update coincide and mba is the 'next generation of macbooks'
But all i want is just a macbook pro with no optical drive...

More probable that the 13 MBP will become the Macbook. Although I agree that something needs to be done with both of them. When it gets redesigned everyone will be singing a different tune. :)

Jerome Morrow
Jul 1, 2011, 10:58 AM
I've had my unibody macbook for 2 years now, no cracks. Hell my lady has the older non unibody macbook and hers has never cracked. If you treat it with care it wont crack, it's pretty darn sturdy. Just cant beat it up like you wouldnt any laptop!

Well i took care of mine and it cracked anyway. It's not about me or you dropping it or hitting hard somewhere but about temperature. That plastic can't handle temperature changes and because of that it cracks. It's a public secret.

toronado455
Jul 1, 2011, 10:20 PM
More probable that the 13 MBP will become the Macbook.

I think they should introduce a Core i3 version of the 13.3" MacBook Pro with a lower price and drop the plastic MacBook.

mattdeezy
Jul 4, 2011, 01:11 AM
I ordered a mac mini server with 8 Gig RAM upgrade from the Australian apple store on 29 June 2011 and the order page says;

Ships: 3 Days
Delivers: 12/07/2011 (12 July 2011)

Seems suspicious to me as it matches the backorder dates for Best Buy and Amazon UK.