PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs Inspired by 9-Year-Old's iPad Story

MacRumors
Jun 29, 2011, 05:17 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/29/steve-jobs-inspired-by-9-year-olds-ipad-story/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/739187-ipad-150x84.jpg

Fiona Bligh never thought she would get a response when she sent an email to Apple CEO Steve Jobs. But, the story of her daughter Holly's unique experience with her iPad (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/ipad-becomes-the-apple-of-hollys-eye/story-fn7x8me2-1226083773188) inspired Steve so much that not only did he write back to Fiona, but Steve asked if he could share her story as well.

Fiona's daughter has albinism. It affects pigment in her skin, hair color and also her vision. The Australian Herald Sun wrote about nine-year-old Holly, noting that her iPad has replaced the large magnifying glass she needed to read. She can quickly enlarge text and is now much more enthusiastic about reading, and can read for twice as long without getting tired.

In her email to the Apple CEO, Fiona shared that "all the other kids think it's awesome that she gets an iPad!" Steve wrote back:
Thanks for sharing your experience with me. Do you mind if I read your email to a group of our top 100 leaders at Apple?He signed the email "Thanks, Steve".

Article Link: Steve Jobs Inspired by 9-Year-Old's iPad Story (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/29/steve-jobs-inspired-by-9-year-olds-ipad-story/)

soco
Jun 29, 2011, 05:19 PM
I love the name Fiona :) Beautiful name.

Also interesting to see a Steve response longer than 3 words ;) I have a story too, Steve. Steve?

outphase
Jun 29, 2011, 05:20 PM
Also interesting to see a Steve response longer than 3 words ;)

That's how you know this is a complete fake! :p

kirky29
Jun 29, 2011, 05:20 PM
Nice,
Stories like this make the iPad 'Magical'.

bjett92
Jun 29, 2011, 05:21 PM
Steve Jobs is a human being after all! Glad to see Apple still does care about their users.

TheOrioles33
Jun 29, 2011, 05:27 PM
Nice story.

100 top leaders?

BiteMyApple
Jun 29, 2011, 05:30 PM
Magical or not, it's nice that new technologies like the iPad help those with various impairments get educated.

Biolizard
Jun 29, 2011, 05:31 PM
Nice,

Until I read this story I felt that calling the iPad 'magical' was hyperbole.

I'm happy to admit I was wrong. For some people it truly is magical.

admanimal
Jun 29, 2011, 05:33 PM
Nice story.

100 top leaders?

Apple has a "secret" retreat every year for its Top 100 employees. Presumably that is where Steve is going to read the letter.

TMar
Jun 29, 2011, 05:34 PM
Steve Jobs is a human being after all! Glad to see Apple still does care about their users.

The jury is still out on that one, I say he's AI from...

tonyshucraft
Jun 29, 2011, 05:36 PM
As somebody whom is visually impaired, ever since I've gotten my first macbook pro, I've really been a fan of how they handle accessibility. Even on the iPhone. I can see well enough to get around the iPhone without turning on any specific features, but I can actually see people I know whom are totally blind using one.

Also, in the end, for those whom need screen readers or programs that zoom to make everything bigger, Macs end up being cheaper than many equivalent PC options and work better, from my experience.

-aggie-
Jun 29, 2011, 05:36 PM

Of course he is and does. You’d get tired of some of the douches that email him too.

Adidas Addict
Jun 29, 2011, 06:04 PM
100 top leaders?

Way to make the company sound like a weird cult Steve.

*LTD*
Jun 29, 2011, 06:19 PM
Post-PC Era:

This time around, computing is for everyone.

Zaqfalcon
Jun 29, 2011, 06:29 PM
Nice story.

NAG
Jun 29, 2011, 06:58 PM
I guess this is proof that this org chart (http://fireballed.org/linked/2011/06/29/org-charts/) is real.

Dr Kevorkian94
Jun 29, 2011, 07:10 PM
i think he could of put more into it, but very nice non the less. its amazing how new tech can help people with disabilities.

iJon
Jun 29, 2011, 07:54 PM
What exactly did she email to Steve? Maybe I didn't notice it but all I see is Steve's response.

coder12
Jun 29, 2011, 08:01 PM
Dang it MacRumors, stop making me cry :.( It's so touching!

Eddyisgreat
Jun 29, 2011, 08:17 PM
"The iPad is nice but it's just a giant iPod."
"Tablets are still toys, you can't do anything serious."
"Apple's iPad is too simple. Not enough buttons and flashing lights."

And yet it still manages to change lives. Amazing.

iRobby
Jun 29, 2011, 08:29 PM

I guess all the doctors using iPads to show patients live video of their insides is not serious as well as airlines using iPads to navigate through the skies replacing the paper maps aren't either. So the next plane you go on or doctor visit or hospital stay you have isn't serious either.

the8thark
Jun 29, 2011, 08:32 PM
Post-PC Era:

This time around, computing is for everyone.
The post PC era is a lie. iPads are PC's too. (Well they are computers now and will be PC's once they cut the cord with iOS 5).

twoodcc
Jun 29, 2011, 08:34 PM
that's nice of Steve

maclaptop
Jun 29, 2011, 08:38 PM
Nice,

If the story is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, then she is one very nice young person.

Steve? Don't kid yourself, he knows a good marketing opportunity when he sees one. Sadly, the man worships money more than anything else.

Don't believe it? Then you don't know Steve.

Hey, it's his right, I'm not judging him but rather debunking the warm and fuzzy business behind this story.

If he was that kind of guy, it wouldn't take a story like that one to motivate him to act like a nice guy.

He's a hopeless narcissist, and that's just a fact. It's what makes things interesting. It's why Apple is the polarizing company it is.

Just walk out from behind the walled garden into the sunlight, read the mainstream press and notice how many others view him the same way. His ego, and dictatorial ways precede him.

Battlefield Fan
Jun 29, 2011, 08:41 PM
I'd love to see more of this from apple

SandboxGeneral
Jun 29, 2011, 08:47 PM
That was very kind of Steve to answer that little girl and to ask her permission to share her story. :)

*LTD*
Jun 29, 2011, 09:01 PM
Sadly, the man worships money more than anything else.

What do Steve's competitors worship?

ECUpirate44
Jun 29, 2011, 09:06 PM
Sadly, the man worships money more than anything else.

eh, you better brush up on your Steveology.

the vj
Jun 29, 2011, 09:13 PM
Who is not going to be impressed, she looks like an angel.

nunes013
Jun 29, 2011, 09:17 PM
i dont think people realize how much some people rely on ipads whether it be for education or disability or medicine, etc. it has really changed the way people do things. its sad to think most competitors are just making tablets to compete. you can tell every time a new ipad comes out apple improves it in different areas for the different people it helps. no offense but when i competitor tablets i see specs and nothing else. good job apple. i hope to see more kindness out of you whether it be a simple email or helping a community like in the japan earthquake. :)

the vj
Jun 29, 2011, 10:18 PM
The iPad is an interface for everything, is an extension of you, your tool, it is a canvas. All you need is the application. Steve is powering that canvas so the softwares can expand and have better functionality.

The iPad is the perfect enhanced reality hardware. It was meant to improve the reality, and is intuitive and simple.

cms2
Jun 29, 2011, 10:28 PM
Steve? Don't kid yourself, he knows a good marketing opportunity when he sees one. Sadly, the man worships money more than anything else.

I think your argument might have more legs if Steve had asked for open-ended permission to share her story. Then maybe you'd see a commercial showing Apple's "human" side as a sales ploy. But that's not what happened. He asked permission to share her story internally, and even then limited only to certain key employees. It's a morale booster for the company.

Someone else, the mother likely, released Steve's email reply. All the emails you see on these sites were leaked by the recipient of a reply.

AppleDApp
Jun 29, 2011, 11:45 PM
The jury is still out on that one, I say he's AI from...

I'm sure they will develop an android that will replace him at some point.

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 29, 2011, 11:51 PM
The post PC era is a lie. iPads are PC's too. (Well they are computers now and will be PC's once they cut the cord with iOS 5).

Don't kid yourself. I still do so many things on my iMac that iOS 5 still won't let me do on my iPad.

Amongst them:
- Video Editing (... not professionally exactly, but more so than the iPad can do.)
- Programming.
- Making Documents (sure, the iPad can do it... but... it just feels so much more tedious... so many screen taps for what can be done with a single keyboard combo.)
- Playing games (goes back to needing keyboard combos to play games like StarCraft II... or physical controls for FPS games. Many iPad games have to be dumbed down to work within the limits of the iPad or else have crowded interfaces.)

arian19
Jun 30, 2011, 12:33 AM
If you read the whole article steve also asks for a high res photo of her with her iPad

MacFly123
Jun 30, 2011, 12:47 AM

Every device and thing around us today is a computer. You are taking it too literally and totally missing the point of what that term means! They are referring to the era of the last 30-40 years that was mainly the evolution of desktop computers as we have come to know them. We are clearly now in a new phase of computing that is being lead by mobility and hence new form factors and user experiences! I don't think there is any arguing against that whether you like the way Apple termed it or not.

GregA
Jun 30, 2011, 01:58 AM
I wonder if it's more effective zooming up on an iPad screen, or doubling the size of an iPhone app on the iPad?

chaosbunny
Jun 30, 2011, 02:27 AM
What do Steve's competitors worship?

Power. When you got too much money to spend in 1000 lives money isn't that important anymore, Power is.

SpaceKyd
Jun 30, 2011, 02:33 AM
I LIKE this!

Truffy
Jun 30, 2011, 04:19 AM
Way to make the company sound like a weird cult Steve.
Hey, I work for a multinational that has about 250 top leaders, and each year they go on a retreat together, to 'bond' and learn about 'teamwork'. This is usually done early in the year, before they nix our budgets.

tweaks
Jun 30, 2011, 04:58 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Store managers have changed their role names to being called Store Leaders. This is what they possibly meant by leaders.

DJJAZZYJET
Jun 30, 2011, 05:29 AM
Does that mean fiona will be getting a free ipad 3 when it comes out :P Im sure the top 100 leaders will be happy to hear the email.

4D4M
Jun 30, 2011, 05:30 AM

Wrong. He already has more money than anyone can spend. Call it 'power' if you like, but changing the world, causing seismic shifts in the way we live, is what motivates Steve.

Winni
Jun 30, 2011, 06:31 AM
This is a very beautiful, heart-warming story, a very nice photo of a nice young girl... and, as always, excellent free marketing.

mac jones
Jun 30, 2011, 06:40 AM
Top "Leaders"?

Isn't that sort of a funny expression? Shouldn't it be like 'Top People" or "Top management"

Maybe even Top Executives? (I know that's asking too much )

Top leaders.

(I"m not even going to go there LOL )

Zunjine
Jun 30, 2011, 07:06 AM
I find it rather sad how some people seem to jump to the most negative possible conclusions about other people's motivations.

This story was not released by Apple and no doubt the image will be used when Steve gives his presentation. Why assume this is all some kind of publicity stunt? Does anyone here worry that Apple doesn't get enough publicity?

I always feel that people who assume the worst of other are probably projecting their own views more than anything else. No one here would argue that Jobs is a saint - he's never pretended to be - but certainly he believes in things other than money and power. No one is entirely motivated by money and power. No one in the real world anyway. That sort of character only exists in fairy stories. In the real world people are motivated by so much more than that. Why does he want to share this story? Because his people work long and hard and, yes, they earn good money, but the thing that keeps them going is knowing that what they do makes such a huge difference to the lives of people like Fiona.

On the subject of the term 'leaders'; it's now fairly standard business terminology to refer to your top leaders or leadership team when discussing the more senior members of the organistion. It's not cultish.

darkplanets
Jun 30, 2011, 07:40 AM
[cut for space]

Hey, it's his right, I'm not judging him but rather debunking the warm and fuzzy business behind this story.

If he was that kind of guy, it wouldn't take a story like that one to motivate him to act like a nice guy.
[cut for space]

Isn't that the very definition of a good businessman? Love it or hate it but the crux of a successful leader is often self-interests, and in way those interests drive us everyday. Don't kid yourself over morality and values-- almost everyone is influenced by the power of money. It's what motivates us to do almost everything, at least at a primal level. You would be very hard pressed to find others who would act differently in his situation.

Rustus Maximus
Jun 30, 2011, 08:10 AM
Power. When you got too much money to spend in 1000 lives money isn't that important anymore, Power is.

Money is power, you will not have one without the other. The question has always been, what will you choose to do with it?

jonnysods
Jun 30, 2011, 08:39 AM
Someone has to comb through these emails for him. Wow.

BJB Productions
Jun 30, 2011, 09:10 AM
This is the kind of news I like to hear!

*LTD*
Jun 30, 2011, 09:12 AM
Money is power, you will not have one without the other. The question has always been, what will you choose to do with it?

Sell sugared water, or change the world.

Rustus Maximus
Jun 30, 2011, 09:18 AM

In his case he should have left him selling the sugared water ;)

res1233
Jun 30, 2011, 09:19 AM

Although we all know how that one ended...

roadbloc
Jun 30, 2011, 09:25 AM
As heart-warming and lovely this story is, let's be honest here; Steve couldn't care less. This is just an example of great publicity.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 30, 2011, 09:58 AM
As heart-warming and lovely this story is, let's be honest here; Steve couldn't care less. This is just an example of great publicity.

yep my thoughts exactly.

SJ is a good businessman and visionary but I would call him a horrible self centered person. There are plenty of cases out there backing the part of him being a horrible person.

One trait I really wish he would pick up from Bill Gates and would push Apple ti pick up from MS is the philanthropy. When SJ came back in 1997 he killed off all of Apple philanthropy and said he would bring it back when the company was doing better. Now over 13 years later it still has not come back.

gri
Jun 30, 2011, 10:27 AM
yep my thoughts exactly.

SJ is a good businessman and visionary but I would call him a horrible self centered person. There are plenty of cases out there backing the part of him being a horrible person.

One trait I really wish he would pick up from Bill Gates and would push Apple ti pick up from MS is the philanthropy. When SJ came back in 1997 he killed off all of Apple philanthropy and said he would bring it back when the company was doing better. Now over 13 years later it still has not come back.

How about some research funding for pancreatic cancer - he can get a grant from me any time.

*LTD*
Jun 30, 2011, 10:34 AM

Who ****ing cares.

How does this affect my iPad? Does this get us a retina display any faster? What does any of this have to do with sales? Does anyone really care if the CEO of Apple is self-centred? I don't even know the guy.

The average consumer doesn't give a sweet damn what the CEO's personality is like. Maybe Steve's wife and kids or something or his best drinking buddy, but otherwise it's not a factor.

You keep posting nonsense that has no meaning in the real world.

Let's make sure the CEO is a lovely person, and THEN it's ok to get the gear!

!¡ V ¡!
Jun 30, 2011, 10:38 AM

Seems :apple: is trying to make a smart ePaper with the iPad, which includes its thickness and capabilities such as longer battery life. Imagine OLED when cost effective will only make the iPad X thinner and last longer, including being more brighter and possibly retina display capability.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 30, 2011, 10:48 AM
Who ****ing cares.

How does this affect my iPad? What does any of this have to do with sales? Does anyone really care if the CEO of Apple is self-centred? I don't even know the guy.

The average consumer doesn't give a sweet damn what the CEO's personality is like. Maybe Steve's wife and kids or something or his best drinking buddy, but otherwise it's not a factor.

And yet people like you worship him like a god. The fact that you get defense when it is pointed out that he is a horrible person stats a lot.

Lets be blunt SJ is not good role model or someone you want to inspire to be. As a person he is horrible.

Apple is a poor corporate citizen. Apple does relatively little to help education compared to lets say MS. Go check out the stuff MS gives out on dreamspark.com this is on generally very good deals MS cuts with schools to supply the students with software. Add to it MS does other things to help new company get off the ground by going threw Bizspark which gives away some really great software.

*LTD*
Jun 30, 2011, 11:11 AM
And yet people like you worship him like a god.

I doubt we worship and sacrifice to him.

The man is just wicked smart and very successful. He gets well-deserved praise and admiration. There's nothing wrong with that. And frankly, what a good role model. A helluva lot better than what typically influences young people.

The fact that you get defense when it is pointed out that he is a horrible person stats a lot.

All it states is that you keep posting about baloney that doesn't actually matter. Unless you're interested in marrying him. Are you? Did he offend you personally outside of La Folie restaurant last Saturday?

Lets be blunt SJ is not good role model or someone you want to inspire to be.

Yeah, he just runs the most successful tech company on the planet, having brought it from near-bankruptcy to what it is today in the span of a shade more than decade. Yeah, let's NOT emulate him. Not inspirational at all. Certainly not a case study in management. :rolleyes:

Apple is a poor corporate citizen. Apple does relatively little to help education compared to lets say MS. Go check out the stuff MS gives out on dreamspark.com this is on generally very good deals MS cuts with schools to supply the students with software. Add to it MS does other things to help new company get off the ground by going threw Bizspark which gives away some really great software.

Guess what. No one buying Apple gear really give a sweet damn what kind of "corporate citizen" Apple is. Their job is turn a profit by creating and selling products and to do it within the limits of the law. That's it. And by doing so, guess what they've done: changed the tech world. As for corporate citizenry, count Apple in with Google, MS, and all the rest that are looking for tax breaks.

MS helping education means sweet f all when their share value is in the basement and they're fumbling opportunities in all the key markets.

MS' philanthropy doesn't get a Windows 8 tablet into your hands any faster. In fact, maybe MS should focus a little more on cleaning up their circus act in consumer tech and FOCUS on getting tech out the door that doesn't suck, rather than giving away Office retreads to kids that want Apple gear.

jmpnop
Jun 30, 2011, 11:13 AM
Who ****ing cares.

How does this affect my iPad? Does this get us a retina display any faster? What does any of this have to do with sales? Does anyone really care if the CEO of Apple is self-centred? I don't even know the guy.

And yet people like you worship him like a god. The fact that you get defense when it is pointed out that he is a horrible person stats a lot.

Lets be blunt SJ is not good role model or someone you want to inspire to be. As a person he is horrible.

+1

And to you LTD, stop posting Post-PC nonsense in every single thread. The world would be playing Angry Birds instead of working if iPads were Post-PC. The way you defend Apple and take those marketing terms like Post-PC seriously, you obviously are his worshiper.

*LTD*
Jun 30, 2011, 11:25 AM
+1

And to you LTD, stop posting Post-PC nonsense in every single thread. The world would be playing Angry Birds instead of working if iPads were Post-PC. The way you defend Apple and take those marketing terms like Post-PC seriously, you obviously are his worshiper.

When SJ is right, he's right. Prescience is prescience. Simple as that. Look around you at how the industry has changed. June 2007 started it all.

axual
Jun 30, 2011, 11:25 AM
>> Your opinion, and the facts do not support your theory.

>> And you do? How do you know him?

>> Uh, yes, you are judging him.

>> Really?

He's a hopeless narcissist, and that's just a fact. It's what makes things interesting. It's why Apple is the polarizing company it is.
>> Apple is not polarizing.

Just walk out from behind the walled garden into the sunlight, read the mainstream press and notice how many others view him the same way. His ego, and dictatorial ways precede him.
>> The mainstream press? That's a laugh. The mainstream press is so infatuated with hearing and seeing themselves talk, that they are blinded by their own ego's.

nwcs
Jun 30, 2011, 11:28 AM
One thing I'm amazed at are all the people posting here who personally know Steve Jobs and can clearly articulate his motivations and feelings. Or they could be psychic but not a good enough psychic to win the lottery.

Lunchbox700
Jun 30, 2011, 11:39 AM
On the subject of the term 'leaders'; it's now fairly standard business terminology to refer to your top leaders or leadership team when discussing the more senior members of the organistion. It's not cultish.

This is right, I work for a very large company and we are all referred to as leaders . All the way up until you hit the chief officers the few exceptions.

ChazUK
Jun 30, 2011, 11:40 AM
Fantastic, lovely story. :cool:

SmileyBlast!
Jun 30, 2011, 11:47 AM
That really is a great story. One that would only be associated with Apple and Steve. I'd like to see something like this from Google, Microsoft or RIM too.
It shouldn't all just be about the bottom line.

Eddyisgreat
Jun 30, 2011, 11:48 AM

They can give away their softwares dirt cheap or free to students then when the students get to real life they can convince their employers to buy it up and they will more than make up their share after corp XYZ blows a wad on CALs base software, support contracts, and upgrades.

M$ is doing this because it helps M$. Apple sells software but is at the end of the day a hardware shop. They can't give 'it' (physical assets) away to millions of students. Maybe iPods but certainly not Mac Pros, minis.

jmpnop
Jun 30, 2011, 11:50 AM
When SJ is right, he's right. Prescience is prescience. Simple as that. Look around you at how the industry has changed. June 2007 started it all.

And how the hell does that make iPad Post-PC? Every time I ask this question in any thread (including yours), you never respond to it. Stop trolling around.

jglavin
Jun 30, 2011, 12:01 PM
>> Apple is not polarizing. :confused: Do you not read the comment threads on this and every other forum in existence? Apple has got to be the most polarizing subject of discussion ever to exist on the internet.

*LTD*
Jun 30, 2011, 12:05 PM
And how the hell does that make iPad Post-PC? Every time I ask this question in any thread (including yours), you never respond to it. Stop trolling around.

Look at the market and industry Pre-June 2007. Then look at it June 2011.

Note the differences. Post-PC era.

You can call it a different term if it makes you more comfortable. But that doesn't change the massive, palpable differences (in content delivery/distribution as well) that have occurred. The focus is all mobile, and the speed of development and change is rapid. The introduction of the iPad pushed us into the computing phase of mobile. It was a watershed moment. The market is already changing. The damage is already being done to established business models.

Get set for July 19th for a taste of things to come.

OllyW
Jun 30, 2011, 12:08 PM
Get set for July 19th for a taste of things to come.

What's happening on 19th July?

*LTD*
Jun 30, 2011, 12:12 PM
What's happening on 19th July?

Apple's quarterly report.

OllyW
Jun 30, 2011, 12:14 PM
Apple's quarterly report.

Ha, that should be interesting.

ChazUK
Jun 30, 2011, 12:17 PM
Only on MacRumors would a news article with such a nice sentiment turn into an argument about what is the post PC era. :D

(I jest) :p

nwcs
Jun 30, 2011, 01:03 PM
:confused: Do you not read the comment threads on this and every other forum in existence? Apple has got to be the most polarizing subject of discussion ever to exist on the internet.

Apple isn't polarizing. It's the my-way-or-the-highway forum posters who are polarizing.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 30, 2011, 01:21 PM
They can give away their softwares dirt cheap or free to students then when the students get to real life they can convince their employers to buy it up and they will more than make up their share after corp XYZ blows a wad on CALs base software, support contracts, and upgrades.

M$ is doing this because it helps M$. Apple sells software but is at the end of the day a hardware shop. They can't give 'it' (physical assets) away to millions of students. Maybe iPods but certainly not Mac Pros, minis.

And yet not matter how you cut it ms go es away the most money and services than any other company and still does it. While some is like you said others is because it is the right thing to do.
Apple used to have good edu support but that has been going downhill since SJ came back.
A company with as much profit as Apple and the size of Apple should give back but it has way to much greed for that. It is a good reflection of the cep who has failed to keep a promise he made in a 1997.

Jun 30, 2011, 01:26 PM
Only on MacRumors would a news article with such a nice sentiment turn into an argument about what is the post PC era. :D

(I jest) :p

Agreed... Well said

Cant we just enjoy the nice story

*LTD*
Jun 30, 2011, 01:30 PM
A company with as much profit as Apple and the size of Apple should give back

Give back what? Did they take anything?

but it has way to much greed for that.

So what. Just give us more Apple gear. That's all that matters. Apple can be as greedy as they like as long as they keep making products. That's the point.

It is a good reflection of the cep who has failed to keep a promise he made in a 1997.

What was this explicit, stated promise, aside from promising to return Apple back to profitability by making great products?

CodeBreaker
Jun 30, 2011, 01:31 PM
I was mad at Apple for the past few weeks for all the crap they have been doing (won't go into the details). Now we are even.

iScott428
Jun 30, 2011, 01:36 PM
Why do a lot of people think that they deserve a slice of Steve's pie? Steve brought back a company from nothing, and I do not care what people think of him as a person, he is no politician. Do any of you ever look at the 10k or 10Q's in depth and see what Apple pays in taxes?? Where do you think that money goes besides the military? Maybe the government should have a budget and then allocate some of that to rebuilding America, rather than trying to be world police.

Great Story by the way. I loved the one about the guy who had to give back his ipad because his wife said no, and then Apple sent him one saying yes. Apple is clearly a terrible and self centered company. :rolleyes::apple:

ABG
Jun 30, 2011, 01:38 PM
Lets hope she doesn't read on the Kindle App or this heart-warming story will turn sour real fast.

arkitect
Jun 30, 2011, 01:42 PM
So what. Just give us more Apple gear. That's all that matters. Apple can be as greedy as they like as long as they keep making products. That's the point.

Sometimes you come across a comment that leaves you speechless…

Really *LTD*… Really?
What an odd world you must live in.

*LTD*
Jun 30, 2011, 01:58 PM
Sometimes you come across a comment that leaves you speechless…

Really *LTD*… Really?

Yes, really.

Pink∆Floyd
Jun 30, 2011, 02:03 PM
Is this even real?

Magical story I say :)

the Rebel
Jun 30, 2011, 02:16 PM
Apple isn't polarizing. It's the my-way-or-the-highway forum posters who are polarizing.

Hmmm, my-way-or-the-highway sounds a lot like Steve's general philosophy.

*LTD*
Jun 30, 2011, 02:21 PM

Amazing how well it works, eh?

C. Alan
Jun 30, 2011, 02:39 PM
I can see how the Ipad would be a great aide to the sight impared. Being able to zoom into text very easily is a very nice feature. I currently don't have an Ipad, but use my Iphone quite abit to web browse in bed. It does bug me when a website detects my mobile browser, and does not allow me to zoom in on text and pictures (fark.com is really bad about this).

Kudo's to SJ for picking up on this story.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 30, 2011, 02:56 PM
Give back what? Did they take anything?

What was this explicit, stated promise, aside from promising to return Apple back to profitability by making great products?

So by your logic Apple could go around killing babies as long as they keep making great products.
And people wonder why apple fans are clueless mindless masses.

*LTD*
Jun 30, 2011, 03:16 PM
So by your logic Apple could go around killing babies as long as they keep making great products.

What? Killing babies? WTF are you talking about?

You've got issues, man.

We're talking about developing and selling a product as a priority, over philanthropy. Nowhere in the conversation was there any reason to make the comparison you're making.

rkahl
Jun 30, 2011, 03:18 PM

No, it's comments like this that make "people wonder why apple fans are clueless and mindless masses".
Can't we just appreciate the good for this girl instead of turning it bad?

Rodimus Prime
Jun 30, 2011, 03:44 PM
What? Killing babies? WTF are you talking about?

You've got issues, man.

We're talking about developing and selling a product as a priority, over philanthropy. Nowhere in the conversation was there any reason to make the comparison you're making.

No I was making a point and you clearly missed it. Your logic is that simple and you are now caught. It is pretty clear you do not care to hold Apple to a higher standard. Apple has what 70 bill sitting in the bank and growing. They make insane profit and they are not willing to do any philanthropy. instead they just want more money.

Point is Apple is a piss poor citizen and should be held to a higher standard. Lets see the 3rd largest company gives the most money and services and Apple which I believe is the largest now gives 0. Something is wrong with that picture.

Try to understand the point. Apple should give money back and try to OMG help people out instead of trying to just pad their bottom line even some more. Best hope of that happening is after SJ is gone.

No, it's comments like this that make "people wonder why apple fans are clueless and mindless masses".
Can't we just appreciate the good for this girl instead of turning it bad?

yeah taht is what I get for typing that up while waiting for food on my phone.

It should be and "you wonder any Apple fans are thought of as ....."

3bs
Jun 30, 2011, 03:45 PM
Another reason to love Apple

*LTD*
Jun 30, 2011, 04:01 PM
No I was making a point and you clearly missed it. Your logic is that simple and you are now caught. It is pretty clear you do not care to hold Apple to a higher standard.

You missed this several posts up. As if anyone needs to include the proviso about acting legally. For you, however, it appears necessary.

Their job is turn a profit by creating and selling products and to do it within the limits of the law. That's it.

Seek help.

Point is Apple is a piss poor citizen and should be held to a higher standard. Lets see the 3rd largest company gives the most money and services and Apple which I believe is the largest now gives 0. Something is wrong with that picture.

No one actually cares. Your moralizing about Apple has *nothing* to do with product.

Apple should give money back

To who? For what?

and try to OMG help people out instead of trying to just pad their bottom line even some more.

Why should they? It's nice if they do, but there is no requirement. Corporate entities are judged on their material merits (oh, and whether or not they're "killing babies", LOL.)

The rest is gravy.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 30, 2011, 04:10 PM
You missed this several posts up. As if anyone needs to include the proviso a.....

Legal does not make something right.

Clearly you do not understand that we should demand higher standards and demand that they do some things with there money other than just pad their bottom line.
LTD your post are an example of why Apple fans are though so low of and why Apple fans by mean are believe to not be able to think for themselves. Apple fan logic is believe Apple = right. Go against Apple = you suck.

Really demanding Apple do some good with their money other than paid there bottom line is not to much to ask but you do not get it. Heck if Apple could legally demand first borns and make people slave to get their products chances are you would support it. No matter how unmoral it is.

*LTD*
Jun 30, 2011, 04:23 PM
Heck if Apple could legally demand first borns and make people slave to get their products chances are you would support it. No matter how unmoral it is.

Are you alright?

The more you post the more outlandish your "examples" get.

Eddyisgreat
Jun 30, 2011, 04:25 PM
Really demanding Apple do some good with their money other than paid there bottom line is not to much to ask but you do not get it.
October 16, 2006 Silicon Color Software United States — [29]
December 4, 2006 Proximity Software Australia — [30]
April 24, 2008 P.A. Semi Semiconductors United States US$278,000,000 [31]
July 7, 2009 Placebase Maps United States — [32]
December 6, 2009 Lala.com Music streaming United States US$17,000,000 [33]
January 5, 2010 Quattro Wireless Mobile advertising United States US$275,000,000 [34]
April 27, 2010 Intrinsity Semiconductors United States US$121,000,000 [35]
April 27, 2010 Siri Software United States — [36]
July 14, 2010 Poly9 Web-based mapping Canada — [37]

Buying companies seems like a fun activity. I'm sure they're just hoarding cash to buy a country or something. Who wouldn't hold cash in this economy.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 30, 2011, 04:29 PM
Are you alright?

The more you post the more outlandish your "examples" get.

No I choose it to make a point that clearly you are missing. Must be because even you have a line or you see that your entire argument falls apart when it is pointed out.

Leave the RDF for a while because it is pretty clear you live in that area.

rdowns
Jun 30, 2011, 04:32 PM
Legal does not make something right.

Clearly you do not understand that we should demand higher standards and demand that they do some things with there money other than just pad their bottom line.
LTD your post are an example of why Apple fans are though so low of and why Apple fans by mean are believe to not be able to think for themselves. Apple fan logic is believe Apple = right. Go against Apple = you suck.

Really demanding Apple do some good with their money other than paid there bottom line is not to much to ask but you do not get it. Heck if Apple could legally demand first borns and make people slave to get their products chances are you would support it. No matter how unmoral it is.

Your posts lately are so far out in right field, you're outside the stadium.

swagi
Jun 30, 2011, 05:01 PM
October 16, 2006 Silicon Color Software United States — [29]
December 4, 2006 Proximity Software Australia — [30]
April 24, 2008 P.A. Semi Semiconductors United States US$278,000,000 [31]
July 7, 2009 Placebase Maps United States — [32]
December 6, 2009 Lala.com Music streaming United States US$17,000,000 [33]
January 5, 2010 Quattro Wireless Mobile advertising United States US$275,000,000 [34]
April 27, 2010 Intrinsity Semiconductors United States US$121,000,000 [35]
April 27, 2010 Siri Software United States — [36]
July 14, 2010 Poly9 Web-based mapping Canada — [37]

Buying companies seems like a fun activity. I'm sure they're just hoarding cash to buy a country or something. Who wouldn't hold cash in this economy.

<off topic rant>
Errrr...me. Because if you actually had a look at the American financial situation you guys over the pond are just really really glad for the Greek crisis. If American rating agencies couldn't bet against the Euro your good old Greenback would go the way of the dodo faster than you can look.

Actually cash hording in the world economic situation is by far the dumbest thing you can do. But that's completely off-topic.

But, hey, if LTD can bla his post-PC era BS in here and tell everybody they are clueless - maybe you should just get a reality check, rethink the outcome and btw your carbin footprint for always buying the latest and greatest Apple gear.

Come on - what Apple really managed to do, and this is really smart, is to rebuild their image. Instead of lasting Macs (I'm still rocking my 2003 Powerbook now) they now give you iToys that are OBSOLETE within 2 generations - translated two years.

Genius marketing, genius revenue stream generation and spoonfed to the flock with genius marketing BS-phrases like "post PC era".

</off topic rant>

*LTD*
Jun 30, 2011, 05:14 PM
<off topic rant>
Errrr...me. Because if you actually had a look at the American financial situation you guys over the pond are just really really glad for the Greek crisis. If American rating agencies couldn't bet against the Euro your good old Greenback would go the way of the dodo faster than you can look.

Actually cash hording in the world economic situation is by far the dumbest thing you can do. But that's completely off-topic.

But, hey, if LTD can bla his post-PC era BS in here and tell everybody they are clueless - maybe you should just get a reality check, rethink the outcome and btw your carbin footprint for always buying the latest and greatest Apple gear.

Come on - what Apple really managed to do, and this is really smart, is to rebuild their image. Instead of lasting Macs (I'm still rocking my 2003 Powerbook now) they now give you iToys that are OBSOLETE within 2 generations - translated two years.

Genius marketing, genius revenue stream generation and spoonfed to the flock with genius marketing BS-phrases like "post PC era".

</off topic rant>

You can still buy "lasting Macs." They won't explode after a few years of use. Your 2003-era PowerBook still runs. It just won't run the latest OS X. Likewise, my early 2008 MacBook Pro will probably run just fine for another 4 years, but I can't expect to run the latest OS after all that time.

Apple has simply broadened their focus to extend into nearly every major aspect of consumer tech, with more than average success, while profiting from it. That's the point. That's the goal. You didn't expect Apple to make *only* computers did you? That would make no sense when there is such opportunity for expansion into other markets. Companies need to change and diversify with the times.

Those that don't (like RIM), usually pay heavy consequences.

Indeed, Apple's success in those other markets has actually broadened their experience and has resulted in better Macs and a better OS X. Consumers hand Apple record sales these days when it comes to Macs. Keep in mind, this wasn't always the case around 2002-2004.

The transition to mobile isn't just happening with Apple. It's happening industrywide, so yes, this "Post-PC era BS" is very real.

Most consumers are on board with it. It might be a good idea for you to follow suit at one time or another. Finding ways to enjoy these new platforms and fit them in to your daily life is time that is well-spent, rather than fighting against it, causing yourself more consternation in the process. Wouldn't you agree?

swagi
Jun 30, 2011, 05:32 PM
<snip>
Apple has simply broadened their focus to extend into nearly every major aspect of consumer tech, with more than average success, while profiting from it. That's the point. That's the goal. You didn't expect Apple to make *only* computers did you? That would make no sense when there is such opportunity for expansion into other markets. Companies need to change and diversify with the times.

Those that don't (like RIM), usually pay heavy consequences.

Indeed, Apple's success in those other markets has actually broadened their experience and has resulted in better Macs and a better OS X. Consumers hand Apple record sales these days when it comes to Macs. Keep in mind, this wasn't always the case around 2002-2004.

The transition to mobile isn't just happening with Apple. It's happening industrywide, so yes, this "Post-PC era BS" is very real.

Most consumers are on board with it. It might be a good idea for you to follow suit at one time or another. Finding ways to enjoy these new platforms and fit them in to your daily life is time that is well-spent, rather than fighting against it, causing yourself more consternation in the process. Wouldn't you agree?

a.) Yeah, I knew we headed into that direction when Apple dropped the Computer moniker from their name.

b.) I could care less for Apple record sales. This doesn't give me any personal benefit and there is no relation to quality. See, a Quarterpounder or Whopper has record sales in contrast to a Grilled Chicken Salad. But we don't need to argue which one is the better choice. :D

c.) I personally disgust seeing more and more iOS-like features in OS X and rather have more power features like Open GL 4, newest Java SE and (now hold your breath) BluRay support out of the box.

d.) Maybe Apple should use their marketing power (and their obsolete hardware) to empower developing countries with the benefits of iOS. Millions of original iPhones, iPhone 3G and soon iPhone 3GS will be obsolete in your environment, as will be the iPad1 and iPad2 as soon as A9-based iPads hit the wild. There are nearly 2 billion people on this planet who really could use your now worthless piece of Apple gear.

jmpnop
Jun 30, 2011, 09:53 PM
<off topic rant>

</off topic rant>

+1 but remember you cannot convince Apple fanboys. Some just don't realize half-baked mobile OS cannot replace desktop OS.

*LTD*
Jun 30, 2011, 11:00 PM
+1 but remember you cannot convince Apple fanboys. Some just don't realize half-baked mobile OS cannot replace desktop OS.

iPads are already doing what the average consumer does with PCs.

A full-blown replacement is still far off.

However, a massive displacement is already underway.

Tune in on July 19th for more information.

jmpnop
Jul 1, 2011, 02:14 AM
iPads are already doing what the average consumer does with PCs.

A full-blown replacement is still far off.

However, a massive displacement is already underway.

Tune in on July 19th for more information.

You think iOS will replace Mac OS/Windows/Linux/UNIX in future? Are you kidding?

And Apple's financial result has got nothing to do with iPad replacing PC. They may be the king of tablets (and even smartphones) but that doesn't make iPad Post-PC Era. Thats just marketing BS.

Lone Deranger
Jul 1, 2011, 02:16 AM
You think iOS will replace Mac OS/Windows/Linux/UNIX in future? Are you kidding?

And Apple's financial result has got nothing to do with iPad replacing PC. They may be the king of tablets (and even smartphones) but that doesn't make iPad Post-PC Era. Thats just marketing BS.

He said 'displace' not 'replace'. Quite a difference.

jmpnop
Jul 1, 2011, 03:00 AM

That was the answer to the highlighted part of LTD's post.

Regardless, calling iPad Post-PC is BS. Have a read - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1173606&highlight=ltd

Zunjine
Jul 1, 2011, 04:58 AM
A lot of people get hung up on the phrase 'post-PC', but you should remember that Apple didn't invent the idea. I'm pretty sure that CISCO and a whole bunch of other companies have been talking about this for a while now.

As for philanthrope - let's not mix up student discounts or helping start-ups with charity. They're not the same thing. Also, publicly traded companies have no right to give away money. That money doesn't belong to them. It belongs to their shareholders. So please don't confuse the hugely admirable work that Bill Gates is doing with his own personal fortune with the idea that PLCs should be giving something back.

This thread really has gone nuts. Mostly it's the fault of this Rodimus guy but really we shouldn't encourage him. Some people get very angry about wealth. The fact that Apple makes a lot of money is not a sign of some kind of evil. Good companies make money. High performing people make money. What those people choose to do with their money is up to them but they don't owe anyone anything for their success. Sure, charity is a good thing, but we can't judge people if they choose not to give. Fact is we have no idea how much Steve Jobs personally gives to charity. Maybe he gives nothing, maybe he gives a lot. Who knows?

Anyway, yes, this is a nice story.

RichardI
Jul 1, 2011, 06:04 AM
Interesting. A kindle has had that same ability since day 1 - and costs about 1/4 of the price.

nwcs
Jul 1, 2011, 07:09 AM
Interesting. A kindle has had that same ability since day 1 - and costs about 1/4 of the price.

And less than 1/100th the functionality. I own one so I know.

Zunjine
Jul 1, 2011, 07:12 AM

In the most basic sense, yes, you can zoom in on a Kindle. But it's not anywhere near as intuitive for a child to use - or an adult for that matter. Also the screen can't display colour which limits it's use for certain forms of data - diagrams, tables, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I own a Kindle and I read almost exclusively on it but I wouldn't say it was perfect for things like textbooks and academic data.

Actually, the area of education is the one place above all others that I can see tablets completely revolutionising. No more dry text books. Text, video, audio, interactive tables which change when you alter the data to demonstrate how differing data sets can be displayed. The ability to have trained actors read passages of plays to the students, right from inside the text book and right in your hand. Schools of the future are going to be awesome! I may have to have a kid just so I can do his homework!

toddybody
Jul 1, 2011, 07:13 AM
Great story, Fiona you're lovely...keep up the reading:)

jackc
Jul 1, 2011, 07:44 AM
Steve should buy her a Kindle, easier on the eyes.

*LTD*
Jul 1, 2011, 07:51 AM

Two posts above yours, Jack. ;)

And I kinda think she'll enjoy her iPad much, much more. For obvious reasons.

I'm not even sure why some people are suggesting a Kindle in the first place. :confused:

winston1236
Jul 1, 2011, 09:11 AM
If the story is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, then she is one very nice young person.

"you dont know steve"...ok and you dont either

matrix07
Jul 1, 2011, 09:34 AM
From iPad helping a girl to Apple killing babies. lol. My Gosh... what's wrong with people nowadays?

winston1236
Jul 1, 2011, 09:42 AM
i bet you actually bought a zune

res1233
Jul 1, 2011, 10:18 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

From iPad helping a girl to Apple killing babies. lol. My Gosh... what's wrong with people nowadays?

People look for problems, and as a result, tend to find them. Can't say I'm any different though...

toddybody
Jul 1, 2011, 12:55 PM
Who ****ing cares.

Your posts are pathetic. You constantly herald the virtues of Apple left and right, yet act nonchalant about Apple's total lack of philanthropic efforts. FAIL. It would take years of typing to convey how wrong and obtuse your opinions are. Consumers do care about corporate policy and attitude. I do, like so many others.

Your personal attacks against RodPrime are totally childish, stupid, and unimaginative. Do us all a favor and donate your computers (iOS devices included) to charity...you have nothing to contribute.

*LTD*
Jul 1, 2011, 01:51 PM
Apple's total lack of philanthropic efforts.

They are not, nor have they ever been, a factor. They are not a requirement, nor are they necessary. I'll applaud them when they do it, it's a nice bonus, but it's unreasonable to hold it against them when they don't. It's gravy. It has nothing to do with Apple's responsibility to shareholders or consumers. Nor is it a substantial factor in consumer purchasing decisions.

That's just the way it is.

tongxinshe
Jul 1, 2011, 04:35 PM

To us old person. To young girls like Fiona, it really doesn't matter.

smeade
Jul 1, 2011, 04:46 PM
[Philanthropic efforts] are not, nor have they ever been, a factor. They are not a requirement, nor are they necessary. I'll applaud them when they do it, it's a nice bonus, but it's unreasonable to hold it against them when they don't. It's gravy. It has nothing to do with Apple's responsibility to shareholders or consumers. Nor is it a substantial factor in consumer purchasing decisions.

I agree. Apple's great at technology but I'm not sure I'd like them making decisions on where money should go for the best of citizenry. I like the system where their profits result in lots of tax revenue and then our elected representatives (at all levels, from Cupertino on up) decide where to spend it.

Microsoft thinks it's smart business to be philanthropical, while Apple does not. It's just different business strategies as far as I'm concerned. Along the same lines, Microsoft thinks it's good business to spend tons of money on lobbying while Apple spends a fraction of what Microsoft does on lobbying activities. Every company is different and that's as it should be.

-----
“I’m a simpleton. I’ve always had the view that we pay taxes and the city should do those things. That’s why we pay taxes. Now, if we can get out of paying taxes, I’ll be glad to put up a WiFi network. I think we bring a lot more than free WiFi.” - Steve Jobs when asked if they'd follow Google's lead and put up free wifi for their headquarter city.

ArshadF
Jul 1, 2011, 09:24 PM
Where is my response Mr Jobs , I guess i had a complaint rather than a marketing oppurtunity

Tiger8
Jul 2, 2011, 07:54 AM

And as for you, you are mother Teresa! You never once possed a material thing, volunteered / donated all your money to charity, never once cared about money, and live a humble existence full of virtue. Man, must be great to be you!

b0blndsy
Jul 2, 2011, 10:21 AM
Where is my response Mr Jobs , I guess i had a complaint rather than a marketing oppurtunity

That's the basic reason you'll never get the reply :p

Digital Skunk
Jul 3, 2011, 12:32 PM
When it comes down to it this is the authentic and original purpose of trchnology. Not to show off to someone or to destroy cultures and nations, it to help level the playing field and fight back against the natural weaknesses we have and have developed.

glynhughes
Jul 4, 2011, 11:29 AM

Pass the sick-bag!

It's a very nice story, I agree. But it's only a month since some poor Chinese kid was so desperate to own an iPad that he sold one of his own kidneys.

Changes lives indeed.

firewood
Jul 4, 2011, 05:35 PM

Exactly. PCs and Macs haven't replaced mainframe computers. IBM still sells them to big companies. But most people and small businesses buy the smaller more consumer friendly alternatives for running software applications. Mainframes have been displaced to the point that very few people will mention one when asked about the last computer they used. That's what will continue to happen.

Blondie :)
Jul 4, 2011, 07:55 PM
Pass the sick-bag!

It's a very nice story, I agree. But it's only a month since some poor Chinese kid was so desperate to own an iPad that he sold one of his own kidneys.

Changes lives indeed.

Say what? Damn that's a little excessive don't ya think? Anyways, the story itself is really nice. As many others have said, it's also nice to know that Apple's devices can indeed help people through their disabilities :)

Eddyisgreat
Jul 5, 2011, 01:49 PM

Hey I think that kid was nuts too.

glynhughes
Jul 5, 2011, 07:41 PM
Hey I think that kid was nuts too.

I'm inclined to agree with you in as much as he clearly had issues getting his priorities right.

The broader point I was trying to make is one of balance; this thread is full of posts that take a nice, positive story about triumph over adversity, that just happens to feature a rather expensive tablet computer, and have focussed almost exclusively on a perceived 'halo effect' on the iPad itself over and above the real meat of the story - the ingenuity and application of the mother and child.

It was interesting to me to note that a negative and very sad story about an impoverished child overcome by desire for a material object (that just happened to be a rather expensive tablet computer) seemed not to have any effect people's perception of the iPad and its marketing, detrimental or otherwise. With this story we just labelled the kid a mental and the iPad gets away scott free. Interesting.

Digital Skunk
Jul 6, 2011, 09:41 AM

iPods, Galaxy tabs, tablets with flashy lights, and devices of all kinds still manage to change lives as well.

DaffyDuck
Jul 6, 2011, 10:33 AM
Wrong. He already has more money than anyone can spend. Call it 'power' if you like, but changing the world, causing seismic shifts in the way we live, is what motivates Steve.

Completely agree. Have you seen the house he's lived in the past few years? It's not really all that impressive considering his wealth. He's not interested in material things, he's interested in leaving a positive mark on the world.

no.1 Apple Fan
Jul 6, 2011, 12:41 PM

A PC could be defined as:
Running heavy, clunky operating systems
Interaction restricted by a keyboard
Portability Limited
Expensive applications
Hard to use, especially for an inexperienced user of technology

A Post-PC device (iPad, iPhone) could be defined as:
Running a light and fast operating system
Unlimited interaction by using gestures, games multiple people can touch at the same time
Portability is what these devices are built for—no 6 lb. laptop, which is a huge hassle in itself.
Super-cheap, if not free applications which have specialized purposes and can be downloaded and accessed anytime
Post-PC devices are incredibly easy to use, people who are totally foreign to technology could be working one of these devices in 10 minutes.
Lightweight, fun, cheap, simple, and fast applications which serve their purpose—playing a game, buying movie tickets, or listening to music

Digital Skunk
Jul 6, 2011, 03:11 PM
A PC could be defined as:
Running heavy, clunky operating systems
Interaction restricted by a keyboard
Portability Limited
Expensive applications
Hard to use, especially for an inexperienced user of technology

A Post-PC device (iPad, iPhone) could be defined as:
Running a light and fast operating system
Unlimited interaction by using gestures, games multiple people can touch at the same time
Portability is what these devices are built for—no 6 lb. laptop, which is a huge hassle in itself.
Super-cheap, if not free applications which have specialized purposes and can be downloaded and accessed anytime
Post-PC devices are incredibly easy to use, people who are totally foreign to technology could be working one of these devices in 10 minutes.
Lightweight, fun, cheap, simple, and fast applications which serve their purpose—playing a game, buying movie tickets, or listening to music

The problem with that is that there are many traditional PCs that do what you describe in a Post-PC device, especially when running open-source or web-based software.