PDA

View Full Version : How should i run Windows on my MBP w SSD? I only use "1" program with Windows...

maf2k8
Jun 30, 2011, 07:50 AM
Ok i currently have a 2011 MBP i7, 6gb ram, 256 ssd HD.

I run "1" program on windows. Its a editing software program for my guitar effects processor. ( use to adjust and tweak the settings of my external guitar gear, rack processor )

It's the ONLY program i use on windows, So i am wondering what would be the best way to run windows? Boot Camp, VMWare Fusion or Parallels?

I wont be using the windows portion for anything else but this 1 program.

What would be my best, easiest choice?

studycomp
Jun 30, 2011, 08:40 AM
Before you try the other solutions, why not try WINE (http://www.winehq.org/ ) -- it doesn't work for every windows program, but works for many, and is free. It does *not* require you to own a licensed copy of Windows, as the other two solutions you mention do.

If WINE doesn't work, then the question is whether you'll need to use the program for your guitar frequently, and use it while you're doing other stuff with your Mac, in which case I'd recommend Parallels. This is because Parallels runs as an application in OSX, meaning you can be running your other Mac software simultaneously.

On the other hand, if you use the program infrequently and in isolation, then Boot Camp should work for you. Each time you boot, boot camp allows you to choose either OSX or Windows and boots natively into that OS. To switch to the other, you have to reboot, which is obviously inconvenient (or even unworkable) if you do a lot of switching back and forth. One final consideration -- if the software is very resource intensive (like, for example, some games), then Boot Camp might work better.

aristobrat
Jun 30, 2011, 08:56 AM
Especially if you have a SSD, the amount of used disk space you use is probably a factor.

Using Boot Camp will require partitioning your drive. You'll essentially have to guess how much space Windows + your app will require. If you guess too much, you've essentially wasted disk space. It'll be sitting out there unused in the Windows partition, unavailable for use by your Mac.

If you use a VM (like Parallels or Fusion), instead of partitioning your drive, your Windows machine uses a "virtual disk", which is essentially a Mac OS file that grows as needed (up to the maximum size you told it). There's no wasted disk space with this method. Fusion even gives you the ability to shrink the file, should you add a bunch of stuff on Windows (which grows the file) and then remove a bunch of stuff. Parallels probably does too, but I'm not sure.

I agree w/ studycomp. See if WINE will work. But if it falls to Boot Camp or a VM, if disk space is a consideration (which it is for me, on my 256GB SSD), I'd really consider a VM.

Merkyworks
Jun 30, 2011, 12:57 PM
Really the better question to ask is how demanding is this windows program going to be and let that decide how you run it.

I was in a similar situation as you but with a program called SolidWorks, this program is the only reason I boot into windows. I decided to use bootcamp to run windows and the program because of the large demand it places on the CPU and GPU, then there is the fact that most graphics intensive games run better when played in windows so it was safe to assume that running SolidWorks would run better in windows however they don't make SolidWorks for OS X so it a moot point really.

maf2k8
Jun 30, 2011, 02:25 PM
I tried wine with no luck...

The program is a very simple and basic program. It made by Digitech and used to just control my guitar effects units ( adjust effects, amps, etc, etc )

Very basic and about 12mb in size. So its not a resource hog, or needs tons of ram or GPU. Digitech discontinued the product and therefore there is no OSX supported app, So i have to either do it all by hand ( which is a pain ) or i can tweak the setting via software ( which i prefer )

so either parallels or VM i assume here?

lixuelai
Jun 30, 2011, 03:47 PM
Such a program may not work in a virtual machine as it still goes through OSX to reach the device. It depends on how the application interacts with the hardware but more often than not you need to be running Windows natively (ie Bootcamp).

If I were in your position (and VM does not work) I would go on ebay or craigslist etc and find a really cheap Windows notebook to do the job or install Windows on an external drive to boot off of.

maf2k8
Jun 30, 2011, 03:59 PM
Well i gave the virtual programs a try and they dont work. I know my program will work using Bootcamp ( as i used it before )

My MBP has a 256 SSD, what is the smallest partition i can use? The program is 25mb in size and it is the ONLY thing i will be doing on the Windows side. No internet use, No gaming, Nothing.. I would just boot into Windows from time to time when i want to tweak or adjust my effect processor..

balamw
Jun 30, 2011, 04:45 PM
How does the hardware connect to the Mac?

If it connects via USB, you should be able to make it work in a VM.

What exactly did you try?

B

maf2k8
Jul 1, 2011, 07:32 AM
it connects via USB. I installed the driver needed on the windows side. It detects the hardware ( GSP1101 ) and asks if i want the MAC or WINDOWS side to connect to it and i choose WINDOWS but it just never detects, you can see the little icon on the bottom keep trying to connect but it never does, everytime i go to launch the program that is used to adjust and tweak it, its says device not found.

It works fine under bootcamp, So i guess i will be using bootcamp. My only thing is, what is the minimum i can partition? and also, Would i run into any problems with bootcamp over time or any problems for that matter with using a SSD drive? ( i am new to SSD drives, so i know little about them and little on how to maintain them )