PDA

View Full Version : App Store Tops 100,000 Available iPad Applications

MacRumors
Jun 30, 2011, 09:53 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/30/app-store-tops-100000-available-ipad-applications/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/app_store_ipad_100k.jpg

As noted by MacStories (http://www.macstories.net/stories/the-ipad-now-with-100000-apps-available/), Apple's App Store has reached yet another milestone offering, now offering over 100,000 iPad-specific applications.Apple and third-party developers have set a new record: in 453 days since the original iPad came out on April 3, 2010, the App Store has more than 100,000 iPad-exclusive apps available. Either specifically targeting the tablet, or released as universal updates to existing iPhone apps, at the moment of writing this there are 100,161 iPad apps in the Store. How do I know? The App Store app itself on my iPad shows that.Our sister site AppShopper (http://appshopper.com), which tracks iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac App Store apps, currently has the available iPad app count at just over 106,000, as it relies on a slightly different recording method supplied by Apple's API for tracking App Store apps.

Apple currently offers over 400,000 total apps in its iOS App Store, and over 5,000 more in its Mac App Store.

Article Link: App Store Tops 100,000 Available iPad Applications (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/30/app-store-tops-100000-available-ipad-applications/)

soco
Jun 30, 2011, 09:54 AM
I wonder exactly how many of these 100,000 are universal binaries.

Anyone?

roadbloc
Jun 30, 2011, 09:58 AM
Grats to Apple. I'm tempted to get an iPad actually in replacement of my old Vaio that died. I'm using a IBM Thinkpad at the moment, but I'm only borrowing it.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 30, 2011, 09:59 AM
That is a fairly impressive number.

RawBert
Jun 30, 2011, 10:01 AM
That's cool but I want Street Fighter 4 optimized for iPad. My fav game.

NoNothing
Jun 30, 2011, 10:02 AM
It will happen soon. The iPad alone will have more applications than Android. The Android Market will be the 3rd largest applications store front.

iPhone App Store
iPad App Store
Android Market

leroypants
Jun 30, 2011, 10:02 AM
Too bad about 93,000 are garbage.

Jerome Morrow
Jun 30, 2011, 10:06 AM

Don't be so easily wounded.

Rodimus Prime
Jun 30, 2011, 10:12 AM

You are being way to kind there. If more than 1000 apps on the market are not garbage I would be surprised.

It will happen soon. The iPad alone will have more applications than Android. The Android Market will be the 3rd largest applications store front.

iPhone App Store
iPad App Store
Android Market

Umm you do know that Android market is collecting more Apps per day than the Apple App store.

Nishi100
Jun 30, 2011, 10:13 AM
You are being way to kind there. If more than 1000 apps on the market are not garbage I would be surprised.

Umm you do know that Android market is collecting more Apps per day than the Apple App store.

But they're all fart apps.

gkpm
Jun 30, 2011, 10:19 AM

But the Android Market also has a much higher attrition rate which means many more are being pulled from the market as many are just experiments.

Here you go: http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/2011/06/android-app-attrition-rate-much-higher-than-ios-32-percent-vs-19-percent.php

Google is also removing a lot of them, given the 400% increase in malware.

soco
Jun 30, 2011, 10:20 AM

This is a ridiculous and false statement, sir.

Some are booger related.

chaosbunny
Jun 30, 2011, 10:21 AM

Just like the iPad apps. :)

jasonxneo
Jun 30, 2011, 10:23 AM
wow where has the time gone?

NinjaHERO
Jun 30, 2011, 10:26 AM
I'm actually shocked it took this long. With all of the structure in place now, I would just assume that most app makers would have ported their iphone apps over. Getting us to 100K way faster.

louis Fashion
Jun 30, 2011, 10:27 AM
This is a ridiculous and false statement, sir.

Some are booger related.

1000 are calculators!!!! I only need one.

logandzwon
Jun 30, 2011, 10:29 AM
Grats to Apple. I'm tempted to get an iPad actually in replacement of my old Vaio that died. I'm using a IBM Thinkpad at the moment, but I'm only borrowing it.

As long as you have some access to a PC, Do it! There are some things you can't do on it, but 95% of normal home stuff, checking banks, web surfing, FB, MR, etc... are doable. Plus it's battery is all-day and it's ultra portable and easy to take around with you.

thomaus
Jun 30, 2011, 10:29 AM
This story motivated me to go to the iTunes store and poke around. I got real confused on the Top Grossing iPad Apps page. A significant number of the 200 top-grossing apps were Free. I'm assuming that in-App purchases count for grossing figure. But that's like the movies counting popcorn sales in their box office figures -- isn't it?

Xenomorph
Jun 30, 2011, 10:30 AM
Why are they described as "iPad-exclusive"?

I thought they were simply iPad-compatible (ie: they do not load at 320x240 on an iPad). Having the same app available on an iPhone (as a Universal binary) or even available on Android device hardly makes them "exclusive".

I know for example "X-Men" is an iPad-native app. It also loads up on iPhone/iPod Touch, and you can download it for Android. I'm sure it's counted in the "100,000+ iPad exclusive" list.

Dagless
Jun 30, 2011, 10:35 AM

What a world we live in where Apple's 100k apps are all excellent, but a rivals that has more new apps a day are all awful.

itcomesinwaves
Jun 30, 2011, 10:37 AM
What a world we live in where Apple's 100k apps are all excellent, but a rivals that has more new apps a day are all awful.

That's what happens when you don't have any quality control.

alent1234
Jun 30, 2011, 10:38 AM

but it's all live wall paper, a$$ and stripper wall paper and various incantations of launcher pro so people can use their own skins

gkpm
Jun 30, 2011, 10:41 AM

Apple saw that coming and introduced a policy of no more fart apps some time ago.

You can still submit them to Android Market. Maybe that's why?

Only thing I know is the app charts on Android are quite depressing.

lsvtecjohn3
Jun 30, 2011, 10:41 AM

It took Andriod 30 months to get to 200,000 apps. It took the App store 21 months.

It took the App store 16 months to get to 100k apps it took Android 24 months. At this rate the iPad is outpacing both app stores.

*LTD*
Jun 30, 2011, 10:42 AM

Except one of them actually makes money and gets the best apps.

Thunderhawks
Jun 30, 2011, 10:45 AM

You tried them all?

It would be more helpful if you posted reviews then.:)

NoNothing
Jun 30, 2011, 10:45 AM

The Android Market is having 2X-3X more applications de-published every day compared to the App Store for a net gain of more applications still going into the Apps Store compared to the Android Market.

The problem with Distmo and other similar numbers is they only look at applications going in and not applications coming out. With Android, the out-going number is HUGE!

dethmaShine
Jun 30, 2011, 11:01 AM

Thanks for coming back to your routine. Your first post in this thread didn't make sense, after all.

Meandmunch
Jun 30, 2011, 11:15 AM
Sweet, 500 actual awesome Apps in the store!!!

Unfortunately you have to sort through 99,500 pieces of crap software to find them.

(Edit, looks like this point has already been made. True though, sadly true)

acslater017
Jun 30, 2011, 11:48 AM
This story motivated me to go to the iTunes store and poke around. I got real confused on the Top Grossing iPad Apps page. A significant number of the 200 top-grossing apps were Free. I'm assuming that in-App purchases count for grossing figure. But that's like the movies counting popcorn sales in their box office figures -- isn't it?

Many real, deep apps make their living off of in-app purchases. My optical Chinese translator is a real piece of software. But the basic app was absolutely free, with the various plug-ins, dictionaries, etc. costing $5, $10, or even $20. The developer was upfront about this so it wasn't a scam or anything.

In addition, many games are like that. In-app purchases should definitely be included - it measures how much worth people put into their app.

Azathoth
Jun 30, 2011, 12:16 PM
It took Andriod 30 months to get to 200,000 apps. It took the App store 21 months.

It took the App store 16 months to get to 100k apps it took Android 24 months. At this rate the iPad is outpacing both app stores.

For many years the Apple crowd said that "the amount of programs (you know, the old name for applications) isn't important, it's whether the platform has the programs you need/use", back in the days when there was very little SW available for the Mac. Thankfully for Apple the applications (mainly DTP and music at the time) were enough to keep the platform alive.

No person on the planet *needs* 100k apps, or 10k apps or even 1k apps. 10 major apps and a few hundred minor ones would over 90% of people's requirements.

I'm sure the iPad apps are on average better than Android tablet apps (quality of course being much harder to measure). But this numbers game is as stupid as the Cold War arms race - it doesn't matter if you have 1 million apps or 100 000 apps, both are more than enough to cover any conceivable requirement.

marksman
Jun 30, 2011, 12:43 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

100k iPad apps 100k non iPad tablets sold in total. Seems right

Thunderhawks
Jun 30, 2011, 01:14 PM
For many years the Apple crowd said that "the amount of programs (you know, the old name for applications) isn't important, it's whether the platform has the programs you need/use", back in the days when there was very little SW available for the Mac. Thankfully for Apple the applications (mainly DTP and music at the time) were enough to keep the platform alive.

No person on the planet *needs* 100k apps, or 10k apps or even 1k apps. 10 major apps and a few hundred minor ones would over 90% of people's requirements.

I'm sure the iPad apps are on average better than Android tablet apps (quality of course being much harder to measure). But this numbers game is as stupid as the Cold War arms race - it doesn't matter if you have 1 million apps or 100 000 apps, both are more than enough to cover any conceivable requirement.

Please no reasonable posts on MR.

What if app # 100,001 is just the one I would need?

i.mac
Jun 30, 2011, 01:31 PM

Does it matter?

i.mac
Jun 30, 2011, 01:34 PM

Android app == give acess to crooks

Who needs it?

! V !
Jun 30, 2011, 01:42 PM
That is the inherent problem with have free or low cost apps with an online distribution model, too much clutter and junk apps and very few gems. QC for these apps lack, since Apple is trying to make sure these apps do not violate any of they own guidelines, restrictions and laws to care about QC. This allows Apple to report x amount of apps on the app store and demonstrate how successful it really is why in reality only a few apps are really worth anyones time.

At least there are no trojan, crook, hacker apps like the Android apps space. :)

I do not notice to how many apps any store has, as long as an app can provide a function or feature that I really require.

erzhik
Jun 30, 2011, 01:43 PM
nothing gets fanboys so aroused like discussion of App Store vs. Android Market. Who cares if you have 100,000 apps or 1,000 apps. You only need one to fulfill your specific app needs.

firewood
Jun 30, 2011, 01:53 PM

And eBay proves that one man's garbage is very often another man's (or woman's) valued prize.

Most people only use a few dozen apps. The problem is that almost every person wants a completely different collection of that few dozen apps to use. The long tail (of what any one person, such as the OP, thinks are just mostly garbage) wins, because there a millions of potential customers, all (thankfully!) different from the OP.

I developed an ugly iPad app for an archaic hobby that probably only interests less than 0.0001% of the world's population. Still sold 100's of copies... and for a lot more than 99 cents a pop.

There's Gold inside that garbage.

ericinboston
Jun 30, 2011, 02:06 PM
1)How many of these 100,000 apps are simply iPhone/iPad/Touch universal apps?

2)How many of these apps are simply a recompiled iPhone/Touch app so it appears as an iPad specific app? For example, as a developer I make 3 simple changes to my current iPhone app so that it is now considered an iPad app (maybe screen resolution is 1 item). Kinda unfair to call that an iPad-specific app. Maybe they should count only apps that exist as iPad apps but do NOT have a sister iPhone/Touch app under a similar name.

3)Although 100,000 is nice, how many are really worth even owning on an iPad? 100? Seriously. Same can be said for the iPhone stuff...nice that there are a bazillion fart apps and 98 different flavors of Angry Birds and 200 Restaurant Apps and 769 Funny Sounds apps...but I'd like to see a little more high-value apps...whether they cost $2 or $12.

4)Out of the tens of millions of iPad owners out there, how about a figure on # of iPad-only apps that have been reviewed by more than 500 people? I find a LOT of app store stuff has less than 500 reviews. Since it's a closed app store society of tens of millions of people, most apps should have more than 500 reviews. I don't think Apple should force a review but I find it difficult to remember to go back and review an app. All apps should really have a "Review Me" button that appears on it's 20th launch or somthing...win/win for everyone to get feedback.

NoNothing
Jun 30, 2011, 02:08 PM
And about 100 good ones. Maybe even less.

But that 100 will be a different grouping for every person.

RWinOR
Jun 30, 2011, 02:12 PM
You tried them all?

It would be more helpful if you posted reviews then.:)

No he wrote them all. He is of course speaking from first hand software writer experience. :)

firewood
Jun 30, 2011, 02:22 PM
And about 100 good ones. Maybe even less.

Less.

Go ahead, delete every App store app from your device that has even just one 1-star rating or 1 negative review, or more. See what you have left.

That's why a store needs 100k apps that someone thinks are bad.

ghost187
Jun 30, 2011, 02:41 PM
iOS App Store has quantity and quality. Scroll down the Android App Store and you'll see single music videos, ring tones, or basic mobile site links. Apple did alot of "house cleaning" last summer. I recall them removing over 50K apps from the app store within weeks. Google only cares about the number, as long as they sell more or have more of something they are happy regardless of quality or profit they make.

toddybody
Jun 30, 2011, 02:49 PM

Yeah, this iOS centricity is getting old. Whenever Android app numbers are published, all MR acolytes bash them for not being Infinity Blade or Garage Band...when it's iOS, they're all wonderful, no exceptions. FAIL.

I love my iPad, but 90% of the apps are rubbish...it's that 10% that impress and woo me daily;)

C. Alan
Jun 30, 2011, 02:57 PM
That is the inherent problem with have free or low cost apps with an online distribution model, too much clutter and junk apps and very few gems. QC for these apps lack, since Apple is trying to make sure these apps do not violate any of they own guidelines, restrictions and laws to care about QC. This allows Apple to report x amount of apps on the app store and demonstrate how successful it really is why in reality only a few apps are really worth anyones time.

This pretty much made the point I was going to make. 99.99% of the apps in the store are made by one guy trying to make a buck. So you do have to wade through quite a bit of garbage to find the gems.

wovel
Jun 30, 2011, 03:12 PM
Here are my 50+ favorites on my iPad. I am sure I left something off. I have some other good Apps that duplicate functionality with my favorite App and I really don't use. Each of these is designed for iPad and is not a scaled up iPhone app. I originally wanted to do 50, but went a bit over. Since a couple are basic utility Apps, it will balance out.

My list is in no particular order. I would love to see what some other's like.

Evernote
Pages
Numbers
Keynote
Goodreader
iMovie
GarageBand
iSSH
Netflix
ABC App
HBO Go
Discovery
Crackle
WebEx
Note Taker HD
TouchDraw
Instapaper
Kindle
The Civil War Today
Dead Space
Infinity Blade
Fruit Ninja HD
Atari's Greatest Hits
Real Racing 2 HD
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12
Bloomberg+
Newsweek
Popular Science (Interface Still needs help, but good)
Wired (See PopSci)
Pulse
FlipBoard
Zite
NBA
MLB
Contraptions
Order and Chaos
Osmos
iDisplay
VNC (I actually use iSSH more for this, but it is a pretty good app)
Science 360 for iPad
GoToMeeting
Bank of America
E-Trade
FaceTime
TurboTax 2010
Hulu
Vevo (Only Really buggy App I Have though)
National Geographic World Atlas
Wolfram (This is the only one so far that is a front-end for a web site, but provides a lot of value)
Google Earth (See Wolfram)
Trainz (Not sure how I forgot that, so cool)
2Go
Cisco AnyConnect
IM+ Pro
Digits
SlingPlayer (Dang another great App that did not show up till the end)
Nature's Human Genome at 10 (Somewhat Limited, but very cool)
Our Choice (Same as above)
Peek (One of my new favorites, great if you need to study anything)

wovel
Jun 30, 2011, 03:18 PM
1)How many of these 100,000 apps are simply iPhone/iPad/Touch universal apps?

It is more then just scaling up, there are a lot of iPad specific UI elements.

2)How many of these apps are simply a recompiled iPhone/Touch app so it appears as an iPad specific app? For example, as a developer I make 3 simple changes to my current iPhone app so that it is now considered an iPad app (maybe screen resolution is 1 item). Kinda unfair to call that an iPad-specific app. Maybe they should count only apps that exist as iPad apps but do NOT have a sister iPhone/Touch app under a similar name.

That would be silly. So Netflix should not count as an iPad app? Kindle? The interface is completely different.

3)Although 100,000 is nice, how many are really worth even owning on an iPad? 100? Seriously. Same can be said for the iPhone stuff...nice that there are a bazillion fart apps and 98 different flavors of Angry Birds and 200 Restaurant Apps and 769 Funny Sounds apps...but I'd like to see a little more high-value apps...whether they cost $2 or $12.

I listed my favorites (that I actually own), but I have only had an ipad since March.

4)Out of the tens of millions of iPad owners out there, how about a figure on # of iPad-only apps that have been reviewed by more than 500 people? I find a LOT of app store stuff has less than 500 reviews. Since it's a closed app store society of tens of millions of people, most apps should have more than 500 reviews. I don't think Apple should force a review but I find it difficult to remember to go back and review an app. All apps should really have a "Review Me" button that appears on it's 20th launch or somthing...win/win for everyone to get feedback.

I don't take the time to review anything, and people tend to be more likely to review something they don't like. I may be a jerk, but if I pay for your app, you can do your own marketing. I do try to rate apps after I use them a while, but I am not going to take the time to review them.

Skoal
Jun 30, 2011, 03:32 PM
Here are my 50+ favorites on my iPad. I am sure I left something off. I have some other good Apps that duplicate functionality with my favorite App and I really don't use. Each of these is designed for iPad and is not a scaled up iPhone app. I originally wanted to do 50, but went a bit over. Since a couple are basic utility Apps, it will balance out.

My list is in no particular order. I would love to see what some other's like.

Evernote
Pages
Numbers
Keynote
Goodreader
iMovie
GarageBand
iSSH
Netflix
ABC App
HBO Go
Discovery
Crackle
WebEx
Note Taker HD
TouchDraw
Instapaper
Kindle
The Civil War Today
Dead Space
Infinity Blade
Fruit Ninja HD
Atari's Greatest Hits
Real Racing 2 HD
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12
Bloomberg+
Newsweek
Popular Science (Interface Still needs help, but good)
Wired (See PopSci)
Pulse
FlipBoard
Zite
NBA
MLB
Contraptions
Order and Chaos
Osmos
iDisplay
VNC (I actually use iSSH more for this, but it is a pretty good app)
Science 360 for iPad
GoToMeeting
Bank of America
E-Trade
FaceTime
TurboTax 2010
Hulu
Vevo (Only Really buggy App I Have though)
National Geographic World Atlas
Wolfram (This is the only one so far that is a front-end for a web site, but provides a lot of value)
Google Earth (See Wolfram)
Trainz (Not sure how I forgot that, so cool)
2Go
Cisco AnyConnect
IM+ Pro
Digits
SlingPlayer (Dang another great App that did not show up till the end)
Nature's Human Genome at 10 (Somewhat Limited, but very cool)
Our Choice (Same as above)
Peek (One of my new favorites, great if you need to study anything)

Great post and the kind I like to see! I'm always looking for apps that do a task better than the app I have (and it's usually out there). It takes forever to find one that suits and is worth a damn but I suppose I'd rather have a bunch to choose from than one or two. I just don't need 50,000 ways to view the weather.

tigress666
Jun 30, 2011, 03:39 PM
Less.

Go ahead, delete every App store app from your device that has even just one 1-star rating or 1 negative review, or more. See what you have left.

That's why a store needs 100k apps that someone thinks are bad.

That's a ridiculous criteria. Any app can get a one star, it just takes one stupid person (I saw an app that was for tracking where you walked to help those of us who hike a lot see our trail get one starred cause the lady wanted it to tell her how to get somewhere in her car. She totally missed that the app was not for that and was furious that it wouldn't give her directions! I've seen stupid reviews where the person one starred the app cause it was a puzzle game and it had no action! They obviously didn't read the description. I see Asphalt 6 has a one star cause it has no girls <- it's a racing game. I've seen one star reviews cause the company dared put the app on sale and the people who missed the sale were bitter that they missed it).

It is kinda like ebay, if you sell a lot, you will eventually get one person who is unhappy and sometimes, that person is being stupid/unreasonable.

So to eliminate an app just cause one random person disliked it is kinda stupid. It doesn't mean the app is bad. In fact, if it has plenty of reviews and just one one star review, even if it is a valid review, I'd still say that speaks more in its favor than not.

cmaier
Jun 30, 2011, 03:42 PM
That's a ridiculous criteria. Any app can get a one star, it just takes one stupid person (I saw an app that was for tracking where you walked to help those of us who hike a lot see our trail get one starred cause the lady wanted it to tell her how to get somewhere in her car. She totally missed that the app was not for that and was furious that it wouldn't give her directions! I've seen stupid reviews where the person one starred the app cause it was a puzzle game and it had no action! They obviously didn't read the description. I see Asphalt 6 has a one star cause it has no girls <- it's a racing game. I've seen one star reviews cause the company dared put the app on sale and the people who missed the sale were bitter that they missed it).

It is kinda like ebay, if you sell a lot, you will eventually get one person who is unhappy and sometimes, that person is being stupid/unreasonable.

So to eliminate an app just cause one random person disliked it is kinda stupid. It doesn't mean the app is bad. In fact, if it has plenty of reviews and just one one star review, even if it is a valid review, I'd still say that speaks more in its favor than not.

I think you missed the point. I believe the point is that everybody is different. Apps that you love and need may be apps that I think suck (and hence I give a 1-star review to). Whereas apps you think suck or apps you don't care about may be very useful to me. If we eliminated all the apps you think suck, we may be eliminating many apps that I need or love. The advantage of such a big catalog is that while maybe everyone agrees there are 500 good apps, those 500 are not the same for everyone.

tigress666
Jun 30, 2011, 03:42 PM
I don't take the time to review anything, and people tend to be more likely to review something they don't like. I may be a jerk, but if I pay for your app, you can do your own marketing. I do try to rate apps after I use them a while, but I am not going to take the time to review them.

Well, that's kind of silly seeing as you get any updates to the app so you'd think you'd want to encourage the developer to keep supporting the app and giving it new features. Personally, I am more likely to leave feedback if I like the app rather than dislike (unless it's so bad it is offensive). Or I suppose the app has potential but has some bad flaws (in hopes maybe they'll fix it).

Personally, I like to see the developers who make games I like do well. It encourages them to keep support on the app and make more apps that I might like. So yes, I will help them with a good review if they make a good app for me.

tigress666
Jun 30, 2011, 03:44 PM
I think you missed the point. I believe the point is that everybody is different. Apps that you love and need may be apps that I think suck (and hence I give a 1-star review to). Whereas apps you think suck or apps you don't care about may be very useful to me. If we eliminated all the apps you think suck, we may be eliminating many apps that I need or love. The advantage of such a big catalog is that while maybe everyone agrees there are 500 good apps, those 500 are not the same for everyone.

Heh, sorry, you're right, I did miss the point (I thought he was arguing just that most apps were crap and one could tell by the fact most had at least one star reviews).

I fully agree with you about why having a large catalog (even if you find most of it not useful) is a good thing. Also means you are more likely to find an app that does what you want rather than having to settle for one that at least covers the basics of what you want.

Don Kosak
Jun 30, 2011, 04:05 PM
Why are they described as "iPad-exclusive"?

I thought they were simply iPad-compatible (ie: they do not load at 320x240 on an iPad). Having the same app available on an iPhone (as a Universal binary) or even available on Android device hardly makes them "exclusive".

I know for example "X-Men" is an iPad-native app. It also loads up on iPhone/iPod Touch, and you can download it for Android. I'm sure it's counted in the "100,000+ iPad exclusive" list.

Xenomorph,

There are a lot of apps that only run on the iPad. They're not universal, and they won't run on iPod/iPhone. That's what this list of 100,000 apps consists of. It doesn't include Universal apps or iPhone Apps.

I'm one of the folks that has an "iPad Only" app. It focuses on content creation and editing -- something that's hard to do on a phone sized screen but works nicely on the iPad.

chris200x9
Jun 30, 2011, 05:27 PM
FRAGMENTATION! :mad::mad::mad::mad::rolleyes:

ericinboston
Jun 30, 2011, 09:44 PM
It is more then just scaling up, there are a lot of iPad specific UI elements.

1)Prove to me what constitutes as an "iPad App" when its "iPhone App" already exists. A Netflix app that is available on the iPhone **AND** available on the iPad **AND** is considerably the same (again, my example of taking an iPhone app and making say screen resolution changes) should NOT count.

2)I meant Rate...not Review...my bad.

It's nice that there are 100,000 apps but I think this number is inflated a bit. But, even if it was 100,00 iPad apps...I've only come across a few dozen that I would contemplate downloading...not due to cost...but due to a)lack of a trial period b)lack of a refund if the app turns out to be junk and c)lack titles that actually are attractive (unlike fart apps, 300 weather apps, 94 world clock apps, etc). If Apple forced a 7-day trial period then I would buy stuff left and right. But I ain't plunking down $4 and finding out the app is buggy or littered with ads or totally misleading advertising. Apple forces so much in the App Store and also grabs a 30% share of the sale...the least Apple can do is offer me a 7-day trial period...but maybe that's Apple's goal: fill the App store with sub-par apps (among the nice ones), grab 30% of the sale, and have people think "ug! This app sucks. Well, I only lost $4"

Yes, I know...everyone's different...everyone's gonna have their own tastes. But in the iPad candy-cane world where everything is $4 and less for apps, theoretically I should be purchasing boatloads of apps compared to the $40+ computer titles and the $50 Xbox game titles and the $200 business class software titles. Why does my iPad have 6 apps on it? :)

wovel
Jun 30, 2011, 11:38 PM
Well, that's kind of silly seeing as you get any updates to the app so you'd think you'd want to encourage the developer to keep supporting the app and giving it new features. Personally, I am more likely to leave feedback if I like the app rather than dislike (unless it's so bad it is offensive). Or I suppose the app has potential but has some bad flaws (in hopes maybe they'll fix it).

Personally, I like to see the developers who make games I like do well. It encourages them to keep support on the app and make more apps that I might like. So yes, I will help them with a good review if they make a good app for me.

I never said I did not provide feedback. The review system is completely useless for providing feedback to developers.

Prove to me what constitutes as an "iPad App" when its "iPhone App" already exists. A Netflix app that is available on the iPhone **AND** available on the iPad **AND** is considerably the same (again, my example of taking an iPhone app and making say screen resolution changes) should NOT count.

While it is now clear you have very limited experience with an iPad I am not sure how to explain it to you so you understand. As I stated previously, it is not just scaling, the UI is completely different between the apps, it takes advantage of the larger screen.

While something like Angry Birds is just scaled up, you might make a case. But it is just silly to not to count things like Netflix just because they also happen to run on the iPhone. It is not just scaled up, it is designed for the iPad.

By your logic we can't count pages anymore since it now runs on the iPhone (with a completely different UI). So in your world it does not count as an iPad app if an iPhone app exists to do the same thing. That is beyond absurd.

mazz0
Jul 1, 2011, 12:10 AM
I don't find that many uses for apps on my iPad.

Apps on the iPhone are great for several reasons: they present data better than a webpage on a small screen can (I'm not sure why that is, I haven't analysed it, but they do); they can be really handy cos they're always in your pocket; they can be pointless and gimicky but cool to show off to your friends because, again, they're always in your pocket.

On the iPhone you don't need website replacing apps cos the web's great on an iPad, and the iPad's not always with you so there's no point having a lot of the apps you have on your iPhone on it.

So I don't think you should expect the iPad app store to grow very massive very quickly, as there's just not so much use for it.

koobcamuk
Jul 1, 2011, 12:28 AM

Yeah, it's a monthly trend that will continue just like this for the next 10 years... :rolleyes:

rhett7660
Jul 1, 2011, 09:01 AM
And eBay proves that one man's garbage is very often another man's (or woman's) valued prize.

Most people only use a few dozen apps. The problem is that almost every person wants a completely different collection of that few dozen apps to use. The long tail (of what any one person, such as the OP, thinks are just mostly garbage) wins, because there a millions of potential customers, all (thankfully!) different from the OP.

I developed an ugly iPad app for an archaic hobby that probably only interests less than 0.0001% of the world's population. Still sold 100's of copies... and for a lot more than 99 cents a pop.

There's Gold inside that garbage.

I was thinking the same thing. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean somebody else doesn't want it!

ilogic
Jul 1, 2011, 09:22 AM
80% of which are trash. Still a good number.

pmz
Jul 1, 2011, 11:24 AM
Anyone have any good ideas on how to make App discovery more efficient?
If so, Apple has been looking for you for a long time.

heisetax
Jul 2, 2011, 01:33 PM

Apple was about the first to install a DVD Ram drive. They've lost much of their innovation spirit. They didn't invent the tablet computer, they didn't invent the touch screen, they din't invent the mp3 player. It is just that they put together a better looking total package. They get so much credit for leading now when they are actually following.

I'm a 27 year Mac User that have only purchased 2 computer that can natively boot into Windows & they both Macs.They are an Intel Mac Pro & a 17" Intel MacBook Pro.

The Intel Mac Pro seems to be a follower in many ways. Even inside Apple it appears to be about the last Mac product to have ThunderBolt built into it. This seems to be Apple's idea of who the Mac User is. The iOS push seems to indicate that the Mac User is just becoming an Apple Toy User just like the iOS stuff. Will Mac OS 10.7 Lion prove to be a de-clawed Mac OS. Should it be call iOS X 1.0?