Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

617arg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I just recently got an iPad and have a bunch of PDF's in iBooks which were transferred over from my iPhone. Now I'd like to start using an app to mark up some of them but it seems like the files then want to "live" in that app as well as iBooks. This seems like it will eat up space fast as some of my PDF's are 3000+ pages long.

So far I've tried out Evernote, PDF Expert and just downloaded DocAS. Am I right that these apps create a new file, or is there a way to have them use the default iBooks library rather than make a copy?

Thanks for any input.

617arg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I understand that you can share a library between devices, but can you share one between apps on the same device?

jeffkempster

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2008
No the pdfs must "live" in the app. I use good reader for iPad. It is both a library manager and PDF markup app. You could just transfer all the PDFs to good reader and then they would be in one place.

Also good reader can attach to network file systems like google docs or dropbox. If the storage gets to be too much them move some of the files there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.