PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp, 2 Volumes and Fusion Issue

Darksheer
Jun 30, 2011, 07:33 PM
So far so good, at least that is what I thought. I have a new iMac with a SSD and a 2TB HDD. I am one that still has a lot of windows applications that I use and also some games. So I decided that I wanted to install windows using bootcamp and set it up so that the Windows OS would use a 75GB partition on the SSD and then I allocated it a 1TB partition on the HDD to store any large applications and any games.

Now in Bootcamp this runs like a charm. I have even taken the time to setup my Libraries for music, Videos, etc which points to the Mac volumes and works like a treat.

I then installed Fusion only to find that my second windows volume is not mounted. What is worse is that you have no choice to mount a physical volumes like you do in other VM systems. ESX / vSphere which is also VMWare and hasn't got this issue, I cant believe that Fusion doesn't. I have tried other things too, but adding the NTFS volume to the VM share option it creates the Volume name as a subfolder under Z: drive which is the VM Share Mount. This is not a big issue as you can mount the drive letter that you want to the z:\Volume. The issue is that these volumes are no longer classed as NTFS, but HGFS which so far have not had luck writing to even though the share is marked as Read/Write.

Has anyone else had similar issues with multiple volumes, is there a way to mount the NTFS physical partition?
Has anyone had a similar setup with Parallels and did it result in the same issues?

balamw
Jun 30, 2011, 07:41 PM
Try unmounting the second volume from OS X before trying to add it to Fusion.

You might actually need to add the partition manually outside the Fusion GUI.

B

Darksheer
Jun 30, 2011, 07:53 PM
Try unmounting the second volume from OS X before trying to add it to Fusion.

You might actually need to add the partition manually outside the Fusion GUI.

B

Thanks balamw, will give it a try. Do you know how to go about mounting the physical disk to the VM from outside the GUI with fusion?

balamw
Jun 30, 2011, 08:09 PM
I've read articles about it, and I was able to successfully add an NTFS formatted dd image to one of my VMs, but that machine is inaccessible right now for me to check.

Look for articles about mounting a raw dd image of a physical disk under VMWare, maybe add VMDK to the search terms.

Then substitute the physical partition (/dev/disk?s?) for the dd image.

B

Darksheer
Jul 1, 2011, 12:04 AM
Well after some digging I managed to find the commands that I was looking for. The "vmware-rawdiskCreator" did the trick.

Thanks for your help balamw