PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G4 Dual 1.42 will not boot

Nameci
Jun 30, 2011, 11:31 PM
Hello there guys and gals,

I came back from field work and the moment I powered on my PMG4 FW800, I did not hear any boot chime. No video and after a while the CPU fan runs at full speed. Pushed the PMU reset button, removed the battery but still the same result it will not boot. Tried to remove all the peripherals, memory sticks down to one, the same thing, not able to boot.

I am puzzled. Any tips guys?

Strimkind
Jul 2, 2011, 01:48 PM
Sounds like a dead PSU. They are well known to die after so many years (I have known of 2, and heard of many more).

Replacements are unfortunately not very cheap. Usually ~100$ + shipping on ebay due to their unusual shape and size.

Cox Orange
Jul 2, 2011, 02:16 PM
if you like tinkering, there are some instructions on how to make a MDD PSU out of a normal PC ATX PSU.
Zoetrap has done this http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1058843

If the replacement PSUs are really 100,- in the USA, then you might want to consider buying a new MDD, since they seem to cost about 100-150USD, too. You can search ebay and click on "ended auction" to gather info on the prices yourself, though.

Nameci
Jul 2, 2011, 05:32 PM
The PSU is working, I have swapped it out to my single MDD. It seems that it is a fried CPU or LoBo.

I am still thinking if it is justifiable to more money and effort into it or throw it on the trash bin.

quasinormal
Jul 2, 2011, 05:41 PM
The PSU is working, I have swapped it out to my single MDD. It seems that it is a fried CPU or LoBo.

I am still thinking if it is justifiable to more money and effort into it or throw it on the trash bin.

Chuck it and buy a 1.1 2006/07 Mac Pro.

666sheep
Jul 2, 2011, 06:14 PM

What single you have?
If it's matching FSB you could easily test if it's lobo or CPU. Lobo is about $25 top IIRC (eBay).
Out of curiosity: was machine sleep when you were away, or it was completely switched off (no voltage)?

Nameci
Jul 2, 2011, 07:07 PM
I think I put it to sleep when I was away. My single is 1.25ghz with 167mhz fsb. I know that the processor would fit it, but I will not risk harming it if something will go wrong with the transplant.

I have a strong hunch that processor is fried.

adcx64
Jul 2, 2011, 09:02 PM
I recall before you went out for field work you said that you won't turn the PowerMacs off, but instead, keep them in sleep, like you said in the previous post, this could be the root of the problem.

Nameci
Jul 3, 2011, 12:02 AM
Probably I have turned it off when I went for field work but it was set to wake/start every morning and then sleep for about 3 hours of inactivity... :(

dontwalkhand
Jul 3, 2011, 01:25 AM
I think it may be time to get rid of it :-(...however, you can recycle the case and make it into something etc. if it's the logic board, I wouldn't put anymore money into it.

Maybe it's time to use The MDD as a replacement to this.

Cox Orange
Jul 3, 2011, 06:54 AM
if it's not the PSU, you could buy one with defective PSU and put your PSU in it. Then you can sell the parts, left (even a dead PSU can be sold with the remark, that it is indeed defective. Some people repair these things.)

You have to watch your local market, but when I look at the situation here I see this:

- Dual MDD with defective PSU 40-70EUR
- working Dual MDD 90-130EUR
- working PSU 16-60EUR
- Dual MDD with unspecified defect goes for 50EUR!

(but you may want to keep in mind, that a Dual 1,8GHz/2GHz G5 costs about the same and you can sell it for the half of the price, when it is dead. I say that, because people here are very frightened about the "unreliability" of the G5s and a bit the MDD G4s. Look at the "what G4 would you recommend" thread).

Nameci
Jul 3, 2011, 12:00 PM
I am a tech hobby guy, sometimes what is important for me is finding out why some things happen than the amount of time and money I put into it.

Right now, I am in no hurry to use it, though I love to. The guts I have moved to my single 1.25GHz MDD. I will find time to open it up again do some surgery on the CPU and we will see.

Will keep you posted.

VanneDC
Jul 3, 2011, 08:24 PM
Mate your dreaming with those prices. I sold a dual 1.42 pristine mdd with apple 17 inch LCD and 250gb drive and 1 gb of ram for 70 aus.. That's 40 euros or there abouts..

Just recently I bought a dual 1.25 mdd for 125nz and I know I got ripped off...

Eitherway I wouldn't bank on those prices.