PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Suppliers Preparing for Fall Launch of iPhone 5 and iPad 3?

MacRumors
Jul 1, 2011, 08:27 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/01/apples-suppliers-preparing-for-fall-launch-of-iphone-5-and-ipad-3/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/ipad_2_iphone_4-150x92.jpg

DigiTimes reports (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110701PD216.html) that upstream suppliers in Apple's manufacturing chain have been given orders to begin preparing for production of next-generation iPhone and iPad models, with a debut expected in the September-October timeframe.Taiwan-based companies included in the supply chain for iPhone 5 and iPad 3 have begun to prepare materials for the production of the two devices, which are likely to make their debuts in September and to hit the market in October, according to industry sources. ... The sources pointed out that Apple only plans to launch one model of the new iPhone, while iPad 3 has just recently been added to the production schedule with both set to be produced in small volumes in August and the volume will start picking up in September and October.While Apple has been widely rumored to be preparing to launch its next-generation iPhone within that timeframe, a new iPad has been a controversial topic. A number of sources have reported that Apple may introduce an updated iPad just months after the release of the iPad 2 as the company seeks to maintain its stranglehold on the tablet market in the face of rapidly-increasing competition, but those claims have been met with skepticism by others expecting Apple to roughly stick to its usual annual update cycle.

According to today's report, the new iPad will likely be thinner and lighter than the current iPad 2 and will support a display resolution of approximately 250 dpi, which would be double that of the iPad and iPad 2.

Article Link: Apple's Suppliers Preparing for Fall Launch of iPhone 5 and iPad 3? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/01/apples-suppliers-preparing-for-fall-launch-of-iphone-5-and-ipad-3/)

HarryKeogh
Jul 1, 2011, 08:31 AM
Apple doesn't need to release an iPad 3 to maintain their stranglehold on the tablet market. They just need companies like HP to keep introducing tablets that are pieces of crap.

AAPLaday
Jul 1, 2011, 08:33 AM
I thought they were supposed to be ramping up iPad 2 production? Now 3 is being reported to be released in a few months time? :rolleyes:

iStudentUK
Jul 1, 2011, 08:33 AM
Ok, iPhone is widely expected but didn't we get a story the other day about Apple increasing production of the current generation iPad? It seems nobody has a clue!

dwman
Jul 1, 2011, 08:34 AM
I just don't buy the iPad 3 rumor. The iPad 2 is selling too well and when has Apple ever released two updates in the same year of the same product. (No, I'm not counting Mac refreshes)

Reevey
Jul 1, 2011, 08:35 AM
We all can quite happily expect an iPhone 5 in the coming months.

I'd be in shock if they were to release an iPad 3 now. The iPad 2 hasn't even gone through it's full cycle, production levels have just been ramped up. They'll push the iPad 2 all the way through Christmas and release the 3 next year. They're still miles ahead of anybody else.

derek1984
Jul 1, 2011, 08:36 AM
Apple doesn't need to come out with iPad 3 this year. It wouldn't make much sense. But I've waited long enough to get an iPad. Make an iPad with better resolution and I'm in. Finally. The sooner, the better :)

the8thark
Jul 1, 2011, 08:37 AM
http://usingapple.com/img/iPad_2_-_2011_Year_of_iPad_2-20110303-230348.jpg

Enough said.
I don't think there will be an iPad 3 this year.

Hmmm should I believe this rumour or the word of Jobs? Hmmmm hard question.

laxic
Jul 1, 2011, 08:37 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Regardless of what steve said before, I believe that this iPad 3 the articles are referring to will really be a 5" or 7" iPad to compete more directly with say the playstation vita and other tablets, with a retina display true iPad 3 released next April. This will still take away the competitors thunder in the fall, and it can be launched along side other iPods as a variation of the iPod touch.

Perhaps, perhaps not.
Just my 2¢

DrJohnnyN
Jul 1, 2011, 08:38 AM
Good deal.

Wellsn
Jul 1, 2011, 08:38 AM
Apple doesn't need to release an iPad 3 to maintain their stranglehold on the tablet market. They just need companies like HP to keep introducing tablets that are pieces of crap.

I second that emoticon

iGod 2.0
Jul 1, 2011, 08:41 AM
The next-gen iPhone i can understand. Due to the recurring product cycle, Apple has created a solid track record of releasing a new iPhone every year, which they haven't done yet. I agree with the September debut forecast being that iOS 5 is scheduled to be released in the fall term. Which means they will typically release the software first and the new iPhone hardware shortly after. As for the next-gen iPad, I just don't see that happening. Apple practically owns the entire tablet market share, their competitors don't match to the success, consistency and uniformity of the iPad. I just don't see the iPad thing coming until next year second term. SJ pretty much put it in a doggy-bag that...

samroberto
Jul 1, 2011, 08:41 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

iPad 3?? Seriously??? (sarcasm).

I used to get sucked into all the hype, and Apple (aided by macrumors' hyper-rumoring no doubt) has capitalized on the roller coaster of we the consumers' obsession with latest greatest new model.

Way too early for an iPad 3, in my humble opinion. It's so early that I really don't seem to be able to get excited about it. iPad 2 is just getting started stretching it's legs. iPhone 5 seems more likely.

I'll call it "Update Fatigue". Imagine us all joyous and fulfilled after the MacBook air comes out in July, and then obsessive hyper-rumoring begins over a new MBA mac-rumored to come out in august. Or september. (verified by a source that heard from a source that heard from a...)

Joke. :P

zarusoba
Jul 1, 2011, 08:42 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

250 dpi?? Dots? On a computer display? Really??

I. Think. You. Mean. P.P.I.

dacreativeguy
Jul 1, 2011, 08:42 AM
Not likely. Apple may appear to be a huge company but it is actually pretty small for the number of different products it sells. Moving the iPad release to the fall, along with the iPhone and all the iPods would be too much to handle at one time.

bushido
Jul 1, 2011, 08:43 AM
i wouldn't mind the iPad 3 in the fall. i'm seriously considering getting an iPad after my summer job around that time but i'm not sure to still get the iPad 2 with rumors of the revision usually starting around that time. but can i wait til april 2012? i'm not sure ^^

i also don't mind apple for pushing the iPhone to the fall, as i'm able to get my iPhone 4 replaced in january :)

Truffy
Jul 1, 2011, 08:43 AM
I thought they were supposed to be ramping up iPad 2 production? Now 3 is being reported to be released in a few months time? :rolleyes:
This is a rumour based on "industry sources", not a report. It's a report when Apple confirms it. :rolleyes:

Intarweb
Jul 1, 2011, 08:44 AM
Image (http://usingapple.com/img/iPad_2_-_2011_Year_of_iPad_2-20110303-230348.jpg)

Enough said.

So then according to that photo there will be no iPhone 5 since it's the year of the iPad 2.

jdsmoooth
Why would you miss the Christmas Buying season with a product that already outsells all of the "competition" combined. It seems pointless and not cost effective to release a new iPad now. Especially when the iPad 2 is an excellent device.

FoxHoundADAM
I'm starting a new rumor. After the iPad 3 is released in September the iPad 4 will be released in January.

dethmaShine
Same internals but with a better camera and screen.

^ But even that doesn't make sense. :confused:

Popeye206
The only thing I could see for the iPad in the fall would be a slightly improved version of the current iPad 2. iPad 3 is too soon.

Personally... I just don't see an iPad 3 in the future for 2011. Not needed.

iOS 5 will be more than enough to keep the sales rolling.

EquilibriumGroup
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

Rumors aren't always true? :|

lars666
Jul 1, 2011, 08:45 AM
Image (http://usingapple.com/img/iPad_2_-_2011_Year_of_iPad_2-20110303-230348.jpg)

Enough said.

Oh, c'mon ... I also don't believe in an iPad 3 this year, but I have a good laugh everytime somebody brings on this picture as the ultimate proof ... That's almost as ridiculous as the iPad 3 rumors. Again: I also don't believe in the iPad 3 this year, but this picture/claim means NOTHING. "Hey, Steve gave his word!" - LOL.

FvL
Jul 1, 2011, 08:47 AM
Although I find it hard to believe that an iPad 3 would be released this year, I do think that Apple might have to increase their release pace because a year may be too long in this world and allow competitors to fill a gap.

If the retina display rumour comes true, I believe it makes sense that Apple will simultaneously replace the back camera with a 5 or 8 megapixel variant and introduce Aperture for iPad.

Lesser Evets
Jul 1, 2011, 08:47 AM
iPad "3" makes total sense. In September/October makes brilliant sense in terms of market tactics. Will it happen? Slim chances, I think. Not improbable.

Since the hardware seems primed, they could probably just use the same device but install the 250dpi screen in place of the current one. That would be sensible if they can do it. It would shut down a LOT of competition trying to claw at Apple's prominence. It would still be iPad2 but a minor revision. It won't be iPad3 because it won't have the A6 or much further revision to the product.

Danoc
Jul 1, 2011, 08:48 AM
Could still be the iPad 2, but iPad 2s, or iPad 2 8". With the regular iPad 2 10" still in production.

They can prepare a minor update for the release of iOS 5, like the MacBook Air for Lion.

Nighthawk70
Jul 1, 2011, 08:48 AM
What stumps me is this article.. and one just a few before it :

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/30/apple-reportedly-planning-significant-boost-in-ipad-2-shipments-for-3q-2011/

winston1236
Jul 1, 2011, 08:49 AM

Enough said.

haha the visuals say it all, but some people dont get it still

Samuriajackon
Jul 1, 2011, 08:49 AM
Could still be the iPad 2, but iPad 2s, or iPad 2 8". With the regular iPad 2 10" still in production.

They can prepare a minor update for the release of iOS 5, like the MacBook Air for Lion.

If there are so many products on the market that means they have to take more money(developers, repairs, parts factories) to support them all.

Fewer car models means Ford doesn't have to support as much, maybe Ford and Apple should slow down and let us catch up financially. I'm too broke to buy another phone.

Popeye206
Jul 1, 2011, 08:50 AM

Toss the Playbook in that category too. I got to play with one in the Newark airport and found the screen too small and the only way I could figure out to leave an application was to shut off the device. Not very intuitive (I know I was missing something obvious, but that's the point). Oh... and reboot time... take a vacation before it came back to life. It was at least 3 minutes for the thing to reboot.

Another half baked tablet IMO.

erzhik
Jul 1, 2011, 08:52 AM

Thank god we have you to tell all of us that more choice is crap. /s

notabadname
The cake is a lie.

litchie
iPhone 5 will be perfect enough and iPad 3? would be too soon.

shompa
Ipad 3 will have "retina" display.

Todays A5 is to slow to drive a retina display.

A6 is fast enough. The problem is that A6 needs to be manufactured with 28nm technique. Intel does not sell wafers, so TSMC is the only one who can mass produce 28nm soon.

According to TSMC 3% of their q4 revenue will be 28nm.

I don't think Apple can produce enough of A6 cpus with only 3% of TSMC production. Especially since this 3% is shared with AMD 7xxx graphics and Fermi3. Both AMD/Nvidia is very wafer hungry since you only get about 100 graphic chip per wafer. You get about 400-500 A5/6 chip on a wafer.

A6 will be quod core Cortex-a15. Have powervr6 graphic. Between 12-16 cores.
This have to compete with Nvidias quod core cortex9 with 12 graphic cores on 40nm.

According to SemiAccurate Apple got back test samples from TSMC last week. Probably test wafers of A6.

LastName
Jul 1, 2011, 08:53 AM
I just pre-ordered a new iPad 7 due out in time for Xmas. The neural implants are going to make this thing untouchable.

Takeo
Jul 1, 2011, 08:55 AM
I. Think. You. Mean. P.P.I.

We know what they meant.

JPTech
Jul 1, 2011, 08:55 AM
I'd be surprised if no one has mentioned this in the past, but it just occurred to me that it would actually make sense for Apple to update the iPad (and iPhone) in September, despite having just released one. This way, they could coordinate all of their big product launches-iPad, iPhone, and iPod all in one special keynote. Obviously that'd throw off the launch cycle for the year, but it'd make things neater and that annual September media event all the more exciting!

sammich
Jul 1, 2011, 08:56 AM
2011: Year of the iPad 2

Smokescreen. While everyone is trying to better the iPad 2 before the iPad 3 is supposed to come out same time next year, Apple is going to floor them with a surprise.

Perhaps this is why Apple wants to move from Samsung, so they don't get to see their orders.

Or even: 2011: Year of the 2 iPads :)

vt220
Jul 1, 2011, 08:56 AM
Why should Apple update the iPad2? It's technically state of the art and just a few months on the market....How should Apple sell it's older modells?
2012 seems more logical....

shaown
Jul 1, 2011, 08:57 AM
Bet you money this 250 PPI IPad 3 is really a new IPod Touch (renamed??) with a 4.5 or 5 inch screen). Timeframe is just right
-Shaown

GaryMumford
Jul 1, 2011, 08:58 AM
Dont bother with the iPad3, the iPad4 will be out soon... (That is sarcasm by the way)

samroberto
Jul 1, 2011, 08:59 AM

I'm starting a new rumor. After the iPad 3 is released in September the iPad 4 will be released in January.

Haha! Awesome. I will "independently" come out with a similar claim and you can cite me as your trusted and independently verified source. People will soon be oblivious as rumors turn to facts.

Actually now that you mention it, it has been independently verified already by trusted sources that iPhone 16 is actually coming out in January. (DigiFacts?, Appletree Insider, 8:30to4:30Macintuition). Lol

Vantage Point
Jul 1, 2011, 08:59 AM
I don't have an iPad but if Apple launches and iPad 3 in a few months I might pick up the iPad 2 if I can there is a deal to be had - just like there was a deal on the iPad 1. I have no problems with the specs of the iPad 2 just can't justify the expense of a new toy/tool at this time. I bought my first iPhone earlier this year, the $49 3GS and have no complaints at all - best gadget I ever had

wizard
Jul 1, 2011, 09:00 AM

IPhone is no surprise as Apple has made it clear that nothing is coming during the expected time.

IPad 3 might not be what people think though. Given the date is around the time of the iPod update I'm thinking what is coming is a sub seven inch device optimized for movie and game play. It will be sold as a member of the iPod family but still run iOS.

I know many dismiss a device in this size range but I think demand could equal that of the iPad. Plus Apple is having great success with iOS, there is no reason to limit the product line up. There are a number of product ideas that would be ideally powered by iOS.

On the otherhand if they can actually deliver iPad 3 before the holidays the rest of the competition wouldn't have a chance for the rest of the year. It would be a good business move effectively wipping out the competition. The bigger problem in my mind isn't the display but rather driving that display. You would need the next gen "A" series processor from Apple. Mainly because the extra pixels place a significant load on the GPU. I would be extremely surprised if Apple had a suitable GPU ready to go already.

iJon
No way they have another iPad 3 this year. iPad 2 is selling like crazy and just now is getting to certain countries.

Plus I don't think Apple fans have enough cash to purchase a new iPad and a new iPhone at the same time.

Apple's smarter than that.

spazzcat
I'm thinking its two iPhones. A high end one and a low end one...

chris975d

Regardless of what steve said before, I believe that this iPad 3 the articles are referring to will really be a 5" or 7" iPad to compete more directly with say the playstation vita and other tablets, with a retina display true iPad 3 released next April. This will still take away the competitors thunder in the fall, and it can be launched along side other iPods as a variation of the iPod touch.

Perhaps, perhaps not.
Just my 2¢

Actually, I've been thinking this ever since the "new iPad in the fall of 2011" rumor started. I still think that Apple may introduce an additional tablet device, but have no clue as to whether they will market it as a smaller iPad (with full iPad iOS) or a larger, gaming oriented iPod touch (with iPhone iOS). There is a market for a smaller iPad. Many people I know hardly ever carry their iPad with them (myself included) because it's just too large to keep handy. But make a 3G connected version that's 5-7" in size, that's about the same size as a paperback book (not thickness, of course), and I'd have it with me all the time. In fact, I'd probably stop upgrading my iPhone each year and make that my device of focus to keep on the cutting edge.

Lesser Evets
Jul 1, 2011, 09:01 AM
... it would actually make sense for Apple to update the iPad (and iPhone) in September, despite having just released one. This way, they could coordinate all of their big product launches-iPad, iPhone, and iPod all in one special keynote. Obviously that'd throw off the launch cycle for the year, but it'd make things neater and that annual September media event all the more exciting!

True. It would make sense to get all their iOS devices developed and released together.

If Apple has the ability to release the super-duper-killer-computer now, why wait? What do these posters think is best? Apple sits on technology until a calendar clicks off to an expected date? Stupid. They want to fill markets NOW with the best product they have NOW. If they can keep updating iPads every other day with something to help them sell, they should be doing it. So, if they have a better iPad ready to roll in September, I'd think they'd launch it, especially with another tablet competing at that time--another tablet that will surely look archaic next to an improved iPad with an identical or lower price tag to the competition's release.

wordoflife
Jul 1, 2011, 09:02 AM
No iPod Touch? :eek:

haruhiko
Jul 1, 2011, 09:03 AM
The most ridiculous rumour I've ever heard is the introduction of iPad 3 in 2011.

toddybody
Jul 1, 2011, 09:04 AM
Yeah, there's not gonna be an iPad 3 this year...but thanks

the8thark
Another reason there will not be an iPad 3 this year.

Market willingness. As in you'd piss a lot of ipad 2 owners if you released iPad 3 so close to the release date of the iPad 2. Sure people love hardware upgrades but not so soon. They just feel ripped off thinking "If I only waited a few months". Not a good way to treat the customers and I'm sure Apple realise this.

And secondly iPads in a way ar more like Macs then iPhones. In the way people are willing to replace their iPhone every year or 2. But for the iPad the general sentiment in my area is they are something expensive enough that you keep it for as long as you can before you upgrade. Just like the Macs. The race to push out iOS releases which will stop working on older iPads much faster then OS X stop working on old Macs will hasten the issue.

But I think releasing an iPad 3 this year is a bad idea. An iPhone 4s/5 though I think is a good idea this year.

mattwolfmatt
Wait!! Thinner AND lighter? Way to go out on a limb, guys.

darbus69
Jul 1, 2011, 09:05 AM

Apple doesn't need to come out with iPad 3 this year. It wouldn't make much sense. But I've waited long enough to get an iPad. Make an iPad with better resolution and I'm in. Finally. The sooner, the better :)

what the heck, spoiled tech brat? I am always at a loss for words when I hear comments like this-transport yourself back to '65 for a day and you will appreciate all this remarkable tech for what it is-amazing-I wouldn't give up all my iPad time for anything, you are losing out every day...

spazzcat
Jul 1, 2011, 09:05 AM
I'd be surprised if no one has mentioned this in the past, but it just occurred to me that it would actually make sense for Apple to update the iPad (and iPhone) in September, despite having just released one. This way, they could coordinate all of their big product launches-iPad, iPhone, and iPod all in one special keynote. Obviously that'd throw off the launch cycle for the year, but it'd make things neater and that annual September media event all the more exciting!

I disagree, what is better one big keynote or three big keynotes to keep you in the news all year...

ComputersaysNo
Jul 1, 2011, 09:06 AM
I have a gut feeling that there won't be an updated ipad. But i think it is possible that Apple is goint to lure in the businessworld with some sort of special edition. Maybe with something like a secure messagingsystem like BB. Maybe not all hardwarewise, but more of a software sollution. IOS-Pro or so. Managing all your business' Imacs with one Ipad, manage inventory with dedicated apps, superdupersecurityservers for millitairy and medical stuff.

nwcs
Jul 1, 2011, 09:06 AM
It may not be an iPad 3 but an iPad Pro as a second line of iPads. That would make a lot of sense to me.

jmpnop
Jul 1, 2011, 09:08 AM

webOS is one of the few OS'es that is actually good. iOS has the best ecosystem but that doesn't mean other products are crap.

igazza
Jul 1, 2011, 09:09 AM
i doubt ipad 3 will come out in september. but cool if it does

Unison
Jul 1, 2011, 09:15 AM
Releasing an iPad3 may make some sense if Apple wants to synchronize the release of it's iOS devices, or wants to establish a release of all future new iPads in time for the holiday season (arguably a better time of year). If so, it means they would either need to wait 6 months or 18 months between releases, and 18 months is too long.

drewyboy
Jul 1, 2011, 09:17 AM
True. It would make sense to get all their iOS devices developed and released together.

If Apple has the ability to release the super-duper-killer-computer now, why wait? What do these posters think is best? Apple sits on technology until a calendar clicks off to an expected date? Stupid. They want to fill markets NOW with the best product they have NOW. If they can keep updating iPads every other day with something to help them sell, they should be doing it. So, if they have a better iPad ready to roll in September, I'd think they'd launch it, especially with another tablet competing at that time--another tablet that will surely look archaic next to an improved iPad with an identical or lower price tag to the competition's release.

Don't take this personal but that is just simply not true. Hat is not how you run a business. When your product is the "it" thing going into holiday buying season, you don't want to release new then no one will have. Remember how it took ppl 2 months just to get an iPad 2 they ordered almost on launch day? Good luck trying to find one in stores.

Secondly releases as soon as you have something better? For your financial sake, plz don't run a business, it probably won't last long. (depending on your market) you need to milk every product for what it's worth.

In closing, could they do it, yeah. Could they defy all reason, yeah. Will it be successful, no matter what yeah. So whenever it comes to apple speculation, I always say, anythings possible.

rodricav
Jul 1, 2011, 09:19 AM
iPhone: june 2007
iPhone 3G: july 2008
iPhone 3GS: june 2009
iPhone 4: june 2010

All they need for an upgrade, they have: new camera, better OS, new casing, dual-core processor.
If it's not a new iPhone on the next event, I quit smoking! :D

iPad 2 was just released. For sure won't have a new one this year. iPad 3 will come to us in MARCH!

Thunderhawks
Jul 1, 2011, 09:22 AM
Bet you money this 250 PPI IPad 3 is really a new IPod Touch (renamed??) with a 4.5 or 5 inch screen). Timeframe is just right
-Shaown

I think a smaller ipad (or larger ipod touch) for gaming makes sense.

And, it better come in white:-)

msb3079
Jul 1, 2011, 09:23 AM
Some of talk as if you really KNOW what is right or wrong for Apple.

I'm sure they know. If they want to release an iPad 3 this soon, they will. Maybe the iPad 2 will be an entry model and the 3 will be a better model with a better screen. Just a guess. I don't know. No one knows (except Apple), but it gets annoying to constantly read people talking as if they KNOW Apple will not release a newer version of an iPad this soon.

rodricav
Jul 1, 2011, 09:26 AM
I think a smaller ipad (or larger ipod touch) for gaming makes sense.

And, it better come in white:-)

There's no sense on iPod touch with same iPhone screen size anymore. The iPhone 4 is almost the same price. Why have an iPod touch?
A 7" iPod touch around $350-$400 would be really nice.

lozpop
Jul 1, 2011, 09:26 AM
I agree with those who say that the Apple has no reasons to launch an new iPad in the fall, but if Apple really wants to force the iPad year cycle in order to move its launch to September/October as it did with the iPhone 5, maybe this year we will see two iPad.

Or.. we can also expect an iPad 3 launched in September 2012 :D

wizard
Jul 1, 2011, 09:27 AM

Another reason there will not be an iPad 3 this year.

Market willingness. As in you'd piss a lot of ipad 2 owners if you released iPad 3 so close to the release date of the iPad 2. Sure people love hardware upgrades but not so soon. They just feel ripped off thinking "If I only waited a few months". Not a good way to treat the customers and I'm sure Apple realise this.

And secondly iPads in a way ar more like Macs then iPhones. In the way people are willing to replace their iPhone every year or 2. But for the iPad the general sentiment in my area is they are something expensive enough that you keep it for as long as you can before you upgrade. Just like the Macs. The race to push out iOS releases which will stop working on older iPads much faster then OS X stop working on old Macs will hasten the issue.

But I think releasing an iPad 3 this year is a bad idea. An iPhone 4s/5 though I think is a good idea this year.

Anybody that gets pissed off because a company improves a product is mental. You paid your money for a product that was agreeable to you at the time. Afterwards you shouldn't care one bit what the company does with the product. Especially considering that Apple support said hardware for as long as they can.

There have been many similar silly a$$ comments in this thread already. For example complaints about update fatigue. Fatigue - come on people you don't need to buy every new device that Apple makes.

Sitting here I have no idea if the rumors are true. However I can see this being a smart business move that effectively would crush the competition. You see Apple has to move based on its own self interests and can't really be expected to place the interest of the consumer over its own. Especially when those consumer interests are based on stupidity.

LAS.mac
Jul 1, 2011, 09:28 AM
I wait for a new iPhone. My 3G is getting aged, becoming very slow sometimes. And it still has OS 3.1 installed, I tried 4 to downgrade. So a update would be welcomed.
However, I start thinking that, unless proven really a breakthrough, an iPhone 5 will push me toward a discounted iphone 4. It remains a phone, which is not worth a thousand dollars, or so huge technology...

striker33
Jul 1, 2011, 09:29 AM
Would love an iPad 3. Cant get away with the awful resolutions on the iPad 1 + 2.

RodThePlod
Jul 1, 2011, 09:31 AM
Apple sure knows how to befuddle the competition.

Samsung, Motorola, Google, et al must be scratching their collective craniums over this iPad 3 rumor thinking.... "WTF??!"

:D

RTP.

iSee
*Another* iPad-3-in-the-fall rumor?!?

My reaction to these is always, "no way"...

But they keep coming. Could they really be true???

blackcrayon
webOS is one of the few OS'es that is actually good. iOS has the best ecosystem but that doesn't mean other products are crap.

No, but based on the reviews of the Touchpad, it was rated anywhere from mediocre to crap. Doesn't mean WebOS isn't very good if it's running as it should be, but that's not how it's running at this very moment (again, according to various reviews that came out this week).

KnightWRX
Jul 1, 2011, 09:33 AM

Hard ? The word of Jobs is worth about as much as an hobo's hat.

dashiel
Jul 1, 2011, 09:34 AM
Not likely. Apple may appear to be a huge company but it is actually pretty small for the number of different products it sells. Moving the iPad release to the fall, along with the iPhone and all the iPods would be too much to handle at one time.

Not true at all. Apple actually has an extraordinarily high employee to product ratio. I think it’s something like 900 non-retail employees per product. HTC has about 350, HP has about 300-500, Adobe has about 90.

Having said that I don’t think we’ll see an iPad3 this fall either. It doesn’t make sense on so many levels that others have already pointed out. A moderate spec bump/price drop maybe.

Azathoth
Jul 1, 2011, 09:35 AM
If Apple has the ability to release the super-duper-killer-computer now, why wait? What do these posters think is best? Apple sits on technology until a calendar clicks off to an expected date? Stupid. They want to fill markets NOW with the best product they have NOW.

It doesn't work that way. Welcome to capitalism.

AZREOSpecialist
Jul 1, 2011, 09:35 AM

Enough said.

You'd be better off believing rumors. Remember when Jobs stood on stage and announced that "by this time next year we'll break 3 GHz". He was talking about the G5 - what a joke that was! And you know what? 2011 is the "Year of iPad 2" when it comes to sales numbers. If iPad 3 comes out for the holidays, iPad 2 sales will still eclipse the new model this year. Jobs never qualified his statement, did he?

Schizoid
Jul 1, 2011, 09:40 AM
I've just bought an iPad 2, does all this mean that this time next year we'll be awaiting the highly-prized iPad 5???

dacapo
Jul 1, 2011, 09:44 AM

Perhaps, perhaps not.
Just my 2¢

Hmm, intereesting. Just out of curiosity, what would 250dpi at either 5" or 7" come out to in terms of screen resolution?

CVUSA
Jul 1, 2011, 09:44 AM
Apple !
All I want is higher resolution iPad this Fall please .

winston1236
Jul 1, 2011, 09:46 AM
please come out soon, my blackberry turns itself off and erases daily and im not buying the ancient ip4, so please apple for my own selfish sake

cvaldes
Jul 1, 2011, 09:48 AM
I've just bought an iPad 2, does all this mean that this time next year we'll be awaiting the highly-prized iPad 5???
No, because the rumors of an iPad 3 this year will end up being false.

95-98% of all Apple rumors end up not coming true. This is likely amongst that group.

cvaldes
Jul 1, 2011, 09:48 AM
please come out soon, my blackberry turns itself off and erases daily and im not buying the ancient ip4, so please apple for my own selfish sake
No, Apple. Take your time, get it right. Don't rush product out the door. That's what morons do.

KindredMAC
Jul 1, 2011, 09:49 AM

LOL!!!!

"Ancient" iP4!!!!!

LOL!!!!

Amazing Iceman
Jul 1, 2011, 09:50 AM

The problem is that the HP TouchCrap is very appealing to people not familiar with the iPad, or to those who let colorful moving figures on the Home Screen impress them.
IMO, the iPad 2 was less than what I expected it to be. It was more of an iPad 1.5.

Releasing an iPad 3 in the fall would be a smart move, just in time for holiday season. if it sold by millions in April (when people are still recovering from holiday expenses), imagine how much it will sell this fall!

AZREOSpecialist
Jul 1, 2011, 09:50 AM
Why would you miss the Christmas Buying season with a product that already outsells all of the "competition" combined. It seems pointless and not cost effective to release a new iPad now. Especially when the iPad 2 is an excellent device.

Except for the dust under the display... or the rampant screen bleed issues that have resulted in numerous returns... or the damaged/chipped metal backs fresh out of the box... Perhaps iPad 3 will be an iPad 2 without all the defects.

Why is everyone saying that Apple shouldn't update so early? Why the hell not? More frequent refreshes means better technology more often. How can that ever be a bad thing? Apple was on top of the market with the iPhone 3G, so why bother releasing a 3GS? Apple also is under pressure from its investors and stockholders to keep the momentum going, and you don't do that by sitting on your hands.

Here's what I think... The reason the iPhone refresh was pushed back was so that Apple could lower costs by putting iPhone and iPad on the same refresh cycle. Perhaps they are aligning manufacturing capabilities and standardizing certain components across both products. Why put an A6 into just one product now, then another product 6 months later, when you can put it into both products now, double your orders and get a much better discount? This would seem to make good sense. Also, remember those stories about Apple paying vendors up front to secure massive supplies and also demanding steeper discounts? It all seems to make sense. So what we are going to see this fall are feature bumps, not breakthrough new products. We are going to see an iPhone 4S and maybe an iPad 2S with a better screen and cameras. This is basically a re-alignment of Apple's production and refresh cycles.

Amazing Iceman
Jul 1, 2011, 09:51 AM
No, Apple. Take your time, get it right. Don't rush product out the door. That's what morons do.

Don't worry, Apple should have learn its lesson with the iPad 2.
In the end, it will all depend on what really motivates Apple.

Lennholm
Jul 1, 2011, 09:52 AM
LOL!!!!

"Ancient" iP4!!!!!

LOL!!!!

Fitting description for a flag ship product that has been surpassed by all of the competitors current products.

anp27
Jul 1, 2011, 09:52 AM
I would love for Apple to come out with a smaller iPad. I would get one in a heartbeat.

leo.andres.21
Jul 1, 2011, 09:54 AM
Apple is really going to shoot itself in the foot if iPad 3 launches this year.
Apple stock value is getting a hit recently and an iPad 3 is not going to help.
You'd think that Apple needs to line up their iOS devices update, they don't need to, at all. :mad:
And Apple making a 5-7" gaming 'iPad' idea is ridiculous. It will in no way be able to be portable (at 7") or have on-par games (at 5") to compete with the PSVita on time. App store games competing with PSVita? What have you been smoking?! :cool:
I'd rather hope for a decent fix for the 'Antennagate' in the new iPhone and get it to replace my glacial slow 3G ;)

cvaldes
Jul 1, 2011, 09:55 AM
According to SemiAccurate Apple got back test samples from TSMC last week. Probably test wafers of A6.
Which means we shouldn't expect to see an A6-based product until early next year.

Apple must get through PVT/DVT/EVT before production/ramp. That's easily 6-7 months away at this stage.

cvaldes
Jul 1, 2011, 09:56 AM
Don't worry, Apple should have learn its lesson with the iPad 2.
In the end, it will all depend on what really motivates Apple.
Increasing shareholder value is what really motivates Apple.

skellener
Jul 1, 2011, 09:58 AM
No iPad 3. Not until sometime in 2012.

FoxHoundADAM

Actually now that you mention it, it has been independently verified already by trusted sources that iPhone 16 is actually coming out in January. (DigiFacts?, Appletree Insider, 8:30to4:30Macintuition). Lol

I heard rumors they are delaying that phone till March and it will be called the 14ss.

SpinThis!
You'd be better off believing rumors. Remember when Jobs stood on stage and announced that "by this time next year we'll break 3 GHz". He was talking about the G5 - what a joke that was!
Or when Apple was toasting Intel bunnies then later was putting their chips in Macs. Or more recently, when someone asked "will the iPad have a preference for orientation/mute?"

My sources tell me Apple is keeping iPad 2 but will also sell another version—iPad HD—with a resolution of 1440 x 1080 (185 px/inch). Screw developers, we're changing resolution; they can keep their pixel-doubled graphics!

FoxHoundADAM
Jul 1, 2011, 10:00 AM
My joking posts aside, I honestly think you won't see an iPad 3 until Fall of 2012.

troop231
Jul 1, 2011, 10:01 AM

Enough said.

Agreed with the pic. Hasn't even been a full product cycle yet!

Eduardo1971
Jul 1, 2011, 10:04 AM
Oh, c'mon ... I also don't believe in an iPad 3 this year, but I have a good laugh everytime somebody brings on this picture as the ultimate proof ... That's almost as ridiculous as the iPad 3 rumors. Again: I also don't believe in the iPad 3 this year, but this picture/claim means NOTHING. "Hey, Steve gave his word!" - LOL.

I agree. Steve's word doesn't mean that much. Remember that this is the same perosn who reported that Apple would not add video to the iPod-would not enter the tablet market-would not enter the mobile phone market, and that just a few of the major ones.

macduke
Jul 1, 2011, 10:05 AM
I have a theory.

Maybe Apple is going to simply "refresh" the iPad 2 after the iPhone 5 comes out. The iPhone 5 is widely rumored to be a world phone capable of running on just about any network, be it GSM or CDMA. There are also rumors that Apple is going to include 4G LTE chipsets in the iPhone 5. This could potentially be why there is a delay in the iPhone launch this year, as perhaps Apple is holding out to get their hands on some less power-hungry chipsets, but didn't want to wait a full year as competition with Android is increasing. But back to how this pertains to the iPad, perhaps Apple will do a "mid-cycle refresh" like they did with the iPhone 1 and maybe bump the memory sizes and also put these new universal/4G chipsets into the device?

If that's the case I'll be a little disappointed, but still looking forward to the retina iPad 3. The deal with my wife is she gets the iPad 2 when the iPad 3 comes out and I get to upgrade for my graduation present this spring! A retina iPad would be crazy, and wouldn't need to quite be 300dpi as you don't hold it as close to your face as the iPhone. But with a resolution like that I'm hoping for a decent speed bump. My iPad 2 is plenty fast, but I worry something that huge (2048x1536) would occasionally lag using the iPad 2's video chipset. But Apple will do it up good!

Speedy2
Jul 1, 2011, 10:07 AM
It all started with Gruber's _speculation_ that something like that _could_ make sense. But there hasn't been any substantial / believable update on this. iPad 2 is still selling like crazy, why would they need to update? Why?
Also they had plenty of trouble delivering the iPad 2 in numbers. Putting in an expensive hi-res display that no one could mass-produce right now won't help with this issue.

Not. gonna. happen.

Xenomorph
Jul 1, 2011, 10:07 AM
Ugh. I was looking to buy a new iPad 2 for my wife in July. I don't want to drop $600+ on something (iPad 2 + Smart Cover + whatever accessories, etc) and then have something new come out, on a completely screwy schedule, immediately after.

There is nothing out right now that competes with the iPad 2, why would Apple replace it already?

The only way I would be happy with a "new" iPad is if Apple suddenly realized there is a demand/market for 7" tablets. My Nook Color (with CyanogenMod installed) is pretty neat.

pmz
Jul 1, 2011, 10:10 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

I think a new iPhone is likely.

I think a new iPad is unlikely.

Just summed up every post thus far.

Speedy2
Regardless of what steve said before, I believe that this iPad 3 the articles are referring to will really be a 5" or 7" iPad to compete more directly with say the playstation vita and other tablets, with a retina display true iPad 3 released next April.

No one is buying these, because they're utter crap. Too small for more serious work, too big to be "smartphone"-portable. The only reason they exist is because Apple bought all the 10" LCDs.

beebler
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

No.

The iPad 3 WAS scheduled for a side-by-side release with the next iPhone bur it's been pushed back to February 2012.

Trust me, I say whatever my source in Apple R&D says. They've been right about the glass mouse trackpad, 13" aluminum MacBook Pros, timing, etc. so far.

iStudentUK
Jul 1, 2011, 10:13 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

No.

The iPad 3 WAS scheduled for a side-by-side release with the next iPhone bur it's been pushed back to February 2012.

Trust me, I say whatever my source in Apple R&D says. They've been right about the glass mouse trackpad, 13" aluminum MacBook Pros, timing, etc. so far.

This seems totally legit. :rolleyes:

GooMan
Jul 1, 2011, 10:14 AM
I just wish I knew when the next damn phone was going to be released. I'm about to the point of just buying an iPhone 4 and saying screw the new one.

cvaldes
Jul 1, 2011, 10:17 AM
The most logical guess would be that the new iPhone arrives with iOS 5 and no, it's not going to be called the iPhone 4S or other such nonsense.

Steve will get on stage and say, "The iPhone 5, with the A5 chip, running iOS 5." We know how Steve likes simplicity.

My own guess would be September, not so far off. Like you, I would like to buy an iPhone, however I will wait this one out.

3goldens
Jul 1, 2011, 10:23 AM
iphone yes, ipad 3, not a chance before 2012!

It would not only be a slap in the face to their customers but quite frankly I don't think they have the resources to do everything people think they can do, mac pro update, mac mini update, mac air update and the iphone update, just not possible.

SuperCachetes
Jul 1, 2011, 10:25 AM
I have a theory.

Maybe Apple is going to simply "refresh" the iPad 2 after the iPhone 5 comes out.

You might be onto something. "iPad 2S." ;)

dacapo
Jul 1, 2011, 10:32 AM
Hmm, intereesting. Just out of curiosity, what would 250dpi at either 5" or 7" come out to in terms of screen resolution?

I just did some basic calculations, and based on ~250dpi and 1024x768 pixels, I get dimensions of 4" height * 3" width = 5" diagonal.

This might be a 5" iPad mini or a 5" iPod touch (or a 5" iPhone? yikes)

Now that would be interesting!!

piperamirez
Jul 1, 2011, 10:33 AM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/264440_2219486048062_1274970438_2687824_5518038_n.jpg

Jeaz
Jul 1, 2011, 10:33 AM

Enough said.

Yeah, they couldn't have put it more clearly than that. Also, for Apple to replace a product roughly 6 months after launch would be unprecedented and downright bad business when there's no major flaws with the previous version. I'll eat my shorts if there's a iPad 3 this fall.

piperamirez
Jul 1, 2011, 10:35 AM
I just did some basic calculations, and based on ~250dpi and 1024x768 pixels, I get dimensions of 4" height * 3" width = 5" diagonal.

This might be a 5" iPad mini or a 5" iPod touch.

Now that would be interesting!!

I think display size stays the same, resolution goes bigger with more pixels per inch

macnisse
Jul 1, 2011, 10:38 AM
iPhone 5 = yepp, iPad 3 = hardly :rolleyes:

Hell0W0rld
Jul 1, 2011, 10:38 AM
No way, the new Ipad 3 will come next spring not sooner.

One Christmas deal is enough, so Apple introduces the new Iphone in late August with full production availability right before Christmas.
That is basically why there is no new Iphone now, Apple saw the Ipad-Chrismas sales and well the Iphone is more expensive so...

tswifty
Jul 1, 2011, 10:42 AM
Did anyone - including MacRumors –*actually read the DigiTimes article?? It does NOT say "the new iPad will likely be thinner and lighter than the current iPad 2 and will support a display resolution of approximately 250 dpi". What it says is:
"Apple is considering designing an even thinner and lighter tablet PC with its panel resolution increasing to 250dpi, the sources added."

Which is rather completely different. Sheesh (how do these rumors get started!).

dethmaShine
Jul 1, 2011, 10:50 AM
Would love you to see fanboy wars going down to the streets. :D

unlinked
Jul 1, 2011, 10:50 AM
Toss the Playbook in that category too. I got to play with one in the Newark airport and found the screen too small and the only way I could figure out to leave an application was to shut off the device. Not very intuitive (I know I was missing something obvious, but that's the point). Oh... and reboot time... take a vacation before it came back to life. It was at least 3 minutes for the thing to reboot.

Another half baked tablet IMO.

Is anything really intuitive (as opposed to works the way experience has thought me)? The Playbook gestures look nice to me but they need to be explained instead of discovered. I am sure one of the pieces of paper in the box that people usually ignore will cover it. Anyway, anything so rushed it has no email is not for me.

jonnysods
Jul 1, 2011, 10:52 AM

Agreed. I'm using a 2nd hand 1st gen because it was so cheap. I am holding out until they can get a better rez screen.

SactoGuy18
Jul 1, 2011, 11:03 AM
I do think we'll get a new iPhone in September, possibly two models:

1. An iPhone 4S that looks almost like the current iPhone 4, but with a larger 4" display, still the five-megapixel camera and 16 or 32 GB of flash memory. It will be dual-mode capable, so one phone design can handle both GSM and CDMA with the latest HSDPA/HSUPA (GSM) and EVDO (CDMA) high-speed cellular data connectivity. This will be available in September 2011.

2. A larger iPhone 5 that looks like a thicker, slightly curved 4G iPod touch (curved because the display is very slightly curved) that will also use a 4" display, but has an eight-megapixel camera, 32 or 64 GB of flash memory, and will use the A5 CPU/GPU. Not only will it support both GSM or CDMA, but can be upgraded to LTE support with a software/firmware upgrade. The iPhone 5 may include a near-field communications (NFC) transponder, one that is fully compatible with the Sony-developed FeliCa standard for mobile payments, very necessary for users in Japan, South Korea and Hong Kong, where FeliCa-based mobile payments are common. This will be available in late October to early November 2011.

nagromme
Jul 1, 2011, 11:06 AM
They can’t even make enough iPad 2’s to meet demand. Parts supply is the only limiting factor now. It seems like a new model could make that worse, with a new manufacturing ramp-up and an exotic hard-to-make part (the retina display). However, if it uses enough DIFFERENT parts that the iPad 2 and 3 could both be made and sold at the same time, in parallel, then maybe a new model would actually increase Apple’s output. Maybe.

That’s the only reason I can see for Apple releasing a new one so soon: IF (big if) it somehow helps—rather than hurts—with meeting demand volume. In which case they might add (or swap) just one or two high-end models, leaving the 2 at the mid- and low-end. (Since the new screen and the chips to drive it are bound to cost more, and it seems needless to make low-end buyers pay more when the iPad is so good with the current screen.)

fattire357
Jul 1, 2011, 11:09 AM
Hah, given the pride Apple has in their product, no way they will refresh the iPad after only 6mo of being released

ma2ha3
Jul 1, 2011, 11:09 AM
no ipad2 owners will be happy to hear that their cutting edge apple product to be outdated in a few months time. I will never believe this rumors, until i see it with my own eyes.

pmz
Jul 1, 2011, 11:13 AM
There isn't any way the iPad 2 is being replaced in the Fall. It may however be joined by a "Pro" model that has a higher resolution display.

I see that as very, very likely (if there is anything to this rumor at all).

There are many people, an entire market segment in fact, that are waiting/skipping iPad 2 for good reason. The screen resolution is a joke compared to last year's iPhone and iPod touch, and the ability to display 1080p video (coming with iOS 5), has no place on screen with so few pixels.

Think about it.

nonameowns
Jul 1, 2011, 11:15 AM
If anyone pay attention to job's keynote... 2011 is the year of ipad 2. so 2012 folks.

akatsuki
Jul 1, 2011, 11:17 AM
I could see the iPad 3 happening with LTE support - it isn't quite there for smaller devices like phones where it chews up battery life, but for an iPad, it could. If they do release an iPad 3, I wouldn't be surprised to see the iPad 2 continue on as a cheaper model though.

I'd still love to see an LTE iPhone. A 4S type upgrade would be a huge disappointment for me.

Thunderbird
Jul 1, 2011, 11:21 AM
I have a theory.

Maybe Apple is going to simply "refresh" the iPad 2 video chipset. But Apple will do it up good!

You might be onto something. "iPad 2S." ;)

Introducing: the iPad 2.5

gkarris
Jul 1, 2011, 11:23 AM
Woo hoo!

iPad 3!

I'm in line at the store! I'm in line at the store!

Wait, this is an iPad 2 line? :eek:

Jim Boonie
Jul 1, 2011, 11:25 AM
Doubling the resolution is a huge deal to app-developers. You'd think that if Apple really wanted to double the res by 9/11 that they'd have to tip the app-devs somehow. Apple is not the type to release something with doubled resolution and no apps that support it (a la Nintendo). Their App Store is their pride and joy and they will want to launch the iPad 3 bursting with apps that are the new res. I just don't see this happening in 2 months.

maclaptop
Jul 1, 2011, 11:29 AM
Let's face it, one of Apple greatest weaknesses is being honest about faulty products. Or sub par products.

My first hand experience reveals the iPad 2's I have, to be far inferior to my original iPad 1, as far as the display and some other smaller issues are concerned.

Not only is it a poor and somewhat grainy display but it leaks light like a cheap entry level Dell Laptop.

Apple knows this, but would never admit they took the cheap and easy way out, trying to foist off a sub par product because they could. In addition, they knew they would be able to count on their adoring fanboys to defend them despite the facts.

I'm very happy to hear that the iPad 3 will be on it's way soon.

It's the right thing for Apple to do... and if we look at Apple history, when they blow it, they usually replace the product or fix it very silently and without admitting fault.

Despite the rush of doubting Thomas-es here, coming to Apples defense with excuse after excuse, it seems that this time they may very well be wrong.

Apple is about to redeem itself, too bad they didn't do something similar with the Antennagate Special. That would have gone a long way to demonstrate to those who suffered, that Apple does care about it's customers.

ghsNick
Jul 1, 2011, 11:37 AM
So I'm on Verizon and due for an upgrade so I'll definitely wait on the i5.
And I'm 50/50 on the iPad...YES I want the awesome screen resolution...but isn't that thing thin enough already?

I might just end up getting an iPad 2 when the 3 comes out and save me some money.

So whoever has the iPad 2 and is a little upset it's being updated so quickly, don't be. You have a solid product and unless you're an Apple Fan boy that always has to have the NEWEST thing, you're going to be fine ;)

Sparty23
Jul 1, 2011, 11:38 AM
First time poster, long time lurker here! :)

Question for you all. Supposedly if I were to buy an iPhone today, would I be able to upgrade with Verizon? For example, if I were to buy it today, would I be, for lack of better words, "entitled" to get the new iPhone at a discount? Like a buy-back sort of thing? I want to lock in the unlimited data w/ Verizon and I'm afraid I won't be able to get that come Sept/Oct...

wovel
Jul 1, 2011, 11:41 AM
Not true at all. Apple actually has an extraordinarily high employee to product ratio. I think it’s something like 900 non-retail employees per product. HTC has about 350, HP has about 300-500, Adobe has about 90.

Having said that I don’t think we’ll see an iPad3 this fall either. It doesn’t make sense on so many levels that others have already pointed out. A moderate spec bump/price drop maybe.

So they should become less focused and release great products like HTC and Adobe?

pmz
Jul 1, 2011, 11:41 AM

Question for you all. Supposedly if I were to buy an iPhone today, would I be able to upgrade with Verizon? For example, if I were to buy it today, would I be, for lack of better words, "entitled" to get the new iPhone at a discount? Like a buy-back sort of thing? I want to lock in the unlimited data w/ Verizon and I'm afraid I won't be able to get that come Sept/Oct...

No.

Tiger8
Jul 1, 2011, 11:50 AM

We can only dream, but an 8" iPad would be cool, kinda like iPod / iPod Nano. iPad 8", with 8, 16, 32 GB capacities, starting at $250 or so.

flux73
Jul 1, 2011, 11:52 AM
I think Apple has an iPad 3 already developed or pretty close to it. But I think that they haven't committed to a release date themselves. I would imagine that they are carefully watching the market. If someone else releases a tablet this summer that the media and gadget enthusiasts start raving about, I'll bet we see the iPad 3 by October. If they keep coming out with stuff like the PlayBook or TouchPad, the iPad 3 probably won't show up until Jan/Feb 2012. And that'll give them plenty of time to work on an iPad 4. This is what I would do if I were SJ. First mover advantage was huge for Apple since they got the original iPad mostly right.

flux73
Jul 1, 2011, 11:57 AM

Nope. You'll only be eligible when your contract is up. There are ways to get out of the contract early without a fee, but only if you're "lucky" enough that Verizon makes a change to the terms of agreement during your contract period, like adding fees.

Solidsnake0501
Jul 1, 2011, 11:58 AM
Seems a bit silly to me, why release the ipad 3 in the same financial year of the ipad 2? Surely they'd want to get as many ipad 2's sold before even considering a suitable release date? Seems a bit bizarre to me that people would suggest otherwise! It may get announced this year but i'd put all I own on the likelihood of seeing one this year in stores as zero :-)

gadget123
Jul 1, 2011, 12:03 PM
Ok so they release a new IPad soon why?

The iPad 2 is miles ahead of any other tablet. Competion? They have the Market.

I have read IPad 3 rumours before the IPad 2 was out.

They can't release a new iPod, iPhone and iPad in the next quarter makes no sense. I go with reports about a minor update for IPhone and IPod.

JCL
Jul 1, 2011, 12:05 PM

Enough said.

iPad 2 Pro

gadget123
Jul 1, 2011, 12:05 PM
Seems a bit silly to me, why release the ipad 3 in the same financial year of the ipad 2? Surely they'd want to get as many ipad 2's sold before even considering a suitable release date? Seems a bit bizarre to me that people would suggest otherwise! It may get announced this year but i'd put all I own on the likelihood of seeing one this year in stores as zero :-)

Exactly if they are stepping up IPad 2 stock there would be a shortage of IPad 3's come the end of the year. They would have lots of IPad 1 and 2's to get rid of too.

The only new iPad they can release is a cheaper one with a smaller screen because it's not viable to release two top end models in a year. Even Samsung only release a top end Galaxy model once a year.

Rafterman
Jul 1, 2011, 12:06 PM

You beat me to it. All of these rumors are not worth the electrons they are using to display them.

Danoc
Jul 1, 2011, 12:07 PM
iPad 2 Server :eek:

gadget123
Jul 1, 2011, 12:09 PM
There isn't any way the iPad 2 is being replaced in the Fall. It may however be joined by a "Pro" model that has a higher resolution display.

I see that as very, very likely (if there is anything to this rumor at all).

There are many people, an entire market segment in fact, that are waiting/skipping iPad 2 for good reason. The screen resolution is a joke compared to last year's iPhone and iPod touch, and the ability to display 1080p video (coming with iOS 5), has no place on screen with so few pixels.

Think about it.

Even a high resolution iPad won't be retina from the rumours. Why would anybody upgrade to it when they know a full new model will be out next year? Certainly it would just drop the price of the current model and I doubt many would upgrade. Nobody would the IPad 2 screen is fine we heard the same grumbles about the IPad 1 screen.

Kavok
Jul 1, 2011, 12:18 PM

Enough said.

I agree. There will be no iPad 3 in 2011.

Lord Appleseed
Jul 1, 2011, 12:20 PM
I say "bring it on Apple". I dont have an iPad yet so i will buy one when the 3rd revision is released. As for iPhone 5: If the rumors are true and it only has a slightly bigger display with the same resolution and maybe a better cpu, then i will most likely stick with the iPhone 4 i already own.

marksman
Jul 1, 2011, 12:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

So apple will have the three vest tablets on the market in the fall.

blueraja
Jul 1, 2011, 12:23 PM
Releasing an 3rd generation this fast would be a disaster PR wise for Apple. I cant see them doing it. There is barely anything out now taking advantage of the ipad 2, releasing a new one would just piss off the existing user base and likely hurt sales in the long run. Anyone remember the 3g/3gs fiasco? Its not like Apple can subsidize an early upgrade discount with the ipad.

NebulaClash
Jul 1, 2011, 12:23 PM
2011 is the year of the iPad 2: And? So what? If they release iPad 3 in October, more iPad 2s will have sold in 2011 than any other model.

Apple can't ramp up production to do this: Yes, they can, and they are. Read the news. They are adding new iPad production lines. It would be just in time for an October release, if that is what they want to do.

Apple doesn't release products more than once a year: Huh? Of course they do! MacBooks in 2/08 and 10/08, and 5/09 and 10/09. Mac Minis in 3/09 and 10/09. iPod Shuffles in 2/08 and 9/08, and 3/09 and 9/09. iPod touch in 2/08 and 9/08. Macbook Air in 1/08 and 10/08. Macbook Pro in 2/08 and 10/08. iMac in 3/09 and 10/09. If Apple wants to reshuffle the iPad release schedule to be a Christmas release, you bet they will do 3/11 and 10/11.

Apple would piss customers off if they release a new iPad this soon: So? Nothing Apple does is considered right on this site, so why should Apple start catering to the whiners now? If the iPad 3 is ready, it will ship. If it isn't ready, it won't. When you bought your iPad 2 has nothing to do with it.

iPad 2 is selling too well, no need for iPad 3 yet: OMG, I hope you don't run a business with that sort of logic. Apple absolutely will replace a great selling model with a new model if they think it's the right thing to do. It's all those other me-too outfits who coast on success until the rug is suddenly pulled out from under them.

Does this mean there is an iPad 3 coming out in October? I dunno. I'm just saying all the reasons people have given in this thread against it are just wrong.

CFreymarc
Jul 1, 2011, 12:24 PM

There is a fine line between conspiracy theory and business plan. The HP webOS tablet is a good example of that. Why does the first webOS tablet suck so bad?

A) Palm lost control of manufacturing BOM when bought by HP. The accountants did a classic "take out parts 'til it stops working, put the last one back and then build" a la HP way.

B) It was intentionally cheapened to under-power webOS so it put the webOS kernal team in a position to strip out even more code so webOS can run on even cheaper HP printers and scanners.

c) They switched Javascript engines since the buyout short sold a few of Palm third party licenses.

or

D) It was going to launch with a native IDE but that schedule slipped and the manufacturing build went ahead on schedule.

Discoverer
Jul 1, 2011, 12:32 PM
Steve will say something like:

"This has truly been a year of the iPad 2. And, for this holiday season, we will make it even better".

Retina displays and lower prices. That's it. No iPad 3 until next year.

AZREOSpecialist
Jul 1, 2011, 12:34 PM
Agreed with the pic. Hasn't even been a full product cycle yet!

But Apple defines the product cycle, who determined that the iPad had to follow a 1-year update cycle? That's what Apple has been doing, but if they feel they need to change that, then they will. I don't understand your logic. Most companies will update products when newer, faster, better components become available. That doesn't necessarily happen only once per year.

Popeye206
Jul 1, 2011, 12:34 PM
2011 is the year of the iPad 2: And? So what? If they release iPad 3 in October, more iPad 2s will have sold in 2011 than any other model.

Apple can't ramp up production to do this: Yes, they can, and they are. Read the news. They are adding new iPad production lines. It would be just in time for an October release, if that is what they want to do.

Apple doesn't release products more than once a year: Huh? Of course they do! MacBooks in 2/08 and 10/08, and 5/09 and 10/09. Mac Minis in 3/09 and 10/09. iPod Shuffles in 2/08 and 9/08, and 3/09 and 9/09. iPod touch in 2/08 and 9/08. Macbook Air in 1/08 and 10/08. Macbook Pro in 2/08 and 10/08. iMac in 3/09 and 10/09. If Apple wants to reshuffle the iPad release schedule to be a Christmas release, you bet they will do 3/11 and 10/11.

Apple would piss customers off if they release a new iPad this soon: So? Nothing Apple does is considered right on this site, so why should Apple start catering to the whiners now? If the iPad 3 is ready, it will ship. If it isn't ready, it won't. When you bought your iPad 2 has nothing to do with it.

iPad 2 is selling too well, no need for iPad 3 yet: OMG, I hope you don't run a business with that sort of logic. Apple absolutely will replace a great selling model with a new model if they think it's the right thing to do. It's all those other me-too outfits who coast on success until the rug is suddenly pulled out from under them.

Does this mean there is an iPad 3 coming out in October? I dunno. I'm just saying all the reasons people have given in this thread against it are just wrong.

Just to add in contrast... I don't hear a lot of complaining about other manufactures like Samsung who will one-up themselves a few times a year as they crank out new models. Or other manufactures for that matter. Apple is one of the only companies that seems to take the slower more cautious road most of the time. So for them to do two new models of the iPad in one year would not be out of line with industry standards.

I hope that makes sense? LOL!

AZREOSpecialist
Jul 1, 2011, 12:37 PM
It all started with Gruber's _speculation_ that something like that _could_ make sense. But there hasn't been any substantial / believable update on this. iPad 2 is still selling like crazy, why would they need to update? Why?
Also they had plenty of trouble delivering the iPad 2 in numbers. Putting in an expensive hi-res display that no one could mass-produce right now won't help with this issue.

Not. gonna. happen.

Well, I hope you like surprises! :)

AZREOSpecialist
Jul 1, 2011, 12:38 PM

No.

You must work for The National Enquirer with top notch sources like that! LOL

AZREOSpecialist
Jul 1, 2011, 12:42 PM
iphone yes, ipad 3, not a chance before 2012!

It would not only be a slap in the face to their customers but quite frankly I don't think they have the resources to do everything people think they can do, mac pro update, mac mini update, mac air update and the iphone update, just not possible.

You don't think a company with over $70 BILLION in cash that can buy Motorola, Nokia, and Sony combined doesn't have the capability to fire simultaneously on multiple product lines? That's like saying Sony can't design more than one TV at a time. Utter nonsense! Apple is one of the largest companies in the world and has eclipsed Microsoft. Apple could buy Google if it wanted to. It could buy Facebook. As of September 2010, Apple had over 46,000 full time employees worldwide. But I'm sure you are right... :p

And I'm sorry, how is this a "slap in the face to their customers"? Is the world supposed to stand still because you bought an iPad 2?

AZREOSpecialist
Jul 1, 2011, 12:48 PM

+1

You are totally spot on. I personally believe there will be an iPad 3 in September/October and just in time for a huge holiday quarter. Apple needs to be constantly blowing people away and performing beyond expectations. They can't do that if they sit on their butts while the rest of the world tries to catch up. Apple has to be far out ahead of the pack.

While most people here don't think specs make a difference in the tablet space, that's exactly why PCs eclipsed Macs in sales. They were more capable and less expensive, and ultimately people cared more about their wallets than they did about the user experience. The same will happen here unless Apple competes at all levels. Competitors already have faster processors, more RAM and higher resolution screens. Apple can't sit this one out.

NebulaClash
Jul 1, 2011, 12:49 PM
Is the world supposed to stand still because you bought an iPad 2?

Pretty much, considering the sense of entitlement that floats around here.

While most people here don't think specs make a difference in the tablet space, that's exactly why PCs eclipsed Macs in sales. They were more capable and less expensive, and ultimately people cared more about their wallets than they did about the user experience. The same will happen here unless Apple competes at all levels. Competitors already have faster processors, more RAM and higher resolution screens. Apple can't sit this one out.

Agreed. This space (post-PC tablets) is so important to Apple, I don't think they will let up the pressure during this stage where market share is being grabbed as fast as you can. Every advantage they create for themselves in 2011-2012 will have an impact for the next half-decade.

peacenfunk
Jul 1, 2011, 12:50 PM
Dont bother with the iPad3, the iPad4 will be out soon... (That is sarcasm by the way)

Its never sarcasm when you have to point it out. Its more ironic that you did

NebulaClash
Jul 1, 2011, 12:53 PM
Just to add in contrast... I don't hear a lot of complaining about other manufactures like Samsung who will one-up themselves a few times a year as they crank out new models. Or other manufactures for that matter. Apple is one of the only companies that seems to take the slower more cautious road most of the time. So for them to do two new models of the iPad in one year would not be out of line with industry standards.

Makes perfect sense to me. I've often noted that Apple fans whine about new releases, while everyone else in the industry is flooding the market with new model after new model and their fans love it. It's this weird concept that a product is only valid if it's the most recent model; after that it's broken.

Lesser Evets
Jul 1, 2011, 12:57 PM
2011 is the year of the iPad 2: And? So what?...

iPad 2 is selling too well, no need for iPad 3 yet: OMG, I hope you don't run a business with that sort of logic.

Best post of the year.

tinman0
Jul 1, 2011, 01:06 PM

Playing Devil's Advocate a bit, Apple could do well to release iPad 3 in September/October. Very simple reason - Christmas.

A September/October refresh of the iPad, ready for Christmas makes perfect sense, far more sense than a refresh in March after Christmas.

iPad 3 so early, even if its a warm iPad 2G (2GS? 2S?) upgrade would seriously set back all the other tablet makers as well, eg "here's our new Playbook, Touchpad, Galaxy Tab, etc, oh and here's the latest iPad, ready for Christmas"..... which would the average person choose?

===

The other thing to consider is that an iPad 2S (2G??) is round the corner at a small premium to make a 2 iPad range. Again, just in time for Christmas, or maybe lower the iPad 2 price very slightly.

Look at the iPad 1 sales when it was knocking on £280 when the iPad 2 came out. £280 made the iPad 1 extremely attractive. Loads of people snapped them up off the Apple Refurb site. That cannot have gone un-noticed.

===

Tie in the rumour that Apple have asked their component suppliers for a price reduction on iPad 2 components, that would add further weight to the idea of a 2 iPad range, with a small discount on the existing iPad 2.

;)

iLilana
Jul 1, 2011, 01:07 PM
it still says "new" on ipad 2 on apple website. We won see new ones till may or june.

Andronicus
Jul 1, 2011, 01:07 PM
"According to the today's report, the new iPad will likely be thinner and lighter..."

I could've told you that :rolleyes:

Popeye206
Jul 1, 2011, 01:08 PM
+1

You are totally spot on. I personally believe there will be an iPad 3 in September/October and just in time for a huge holiday quarter. Apple needs to be constantly blowing people away and performing beyond expectations. They can't do that if they sit on their butts while the rest of the world tries to catch up. Apple has to be far out ahead of the pack.

I sort of disagree on your points about specs. I think Apple has proven that overall, they don't matter. What matters is the overall experience and the overall capabilities. Apple makes the experience so compelling over the competition that they can get away with lessor quality camera's and still be number 1.

It is important that they keep moving and keep improving, but I still say the ace in the hole for Apple is not the hardware but the whole iOS eco system. This is why they are kicking butt. No one can match them.

My prediction for the fall is... iPhone 5, Apple TV 3, new iPod Touch based on iPhone 4, and a HUGE focus on iCloud and Gaming with iOS devices.

Apple will murder the competition with this combo over the holidays. Oh wait... they already do. :D

"According to the today's report, the new iPad will likely be thinner and lighter..."

I could've told you that :rolleyes:

And 15% more Magical. :)

charlituna
Jul 1, 2011, 01:16 PM

Probably not. The small volume is likely test units. Which they will probably change a couple of times before locking it and sometime around Dec/Jan they will shift lines over to producing the ipad 3 in major bulk for a release around March 1, just like this year. Even if they start production in the fall, they likely won't release until next year but this will be an attempt to ensure they have enough.

I also kept help noting that there's been no mention of the ipod Touch. What if that is what is being released with the phone. Perhaps they are going to shake it up and make it a little larger. Closer to 5" than 3" to separate it from being just a phone that doesn't make calls. So it becomes the midstep. But the sources of the rumors are labeling it as an ipad not an ipod.

Apple has created a solid track record of releasing a new iPhone every year, which they haven't done yet.

Yes but they haven't had a major disaster in the very area that makes a lot of the components they need before. They very well could have planned to release the iphone 5 in July but after the Earthquake they had to push back the time table. They haven't announced anything yet cause they don't know exactly when everything will be fully ready and it's not Apple's style to announce without a firm date. Too much stock market chaos when they delay an announced date and with all the talk that Jobs is about to drop any second they don't need any thing else that will toy with the numbers

Reach9
Jul 1, 2011, 01:21 PM
iPhone 5, yes.
iPad 3, no. Because..

derek1984
Jul 1, 2011, 01:22 PM
Look, the bottom line is some people happen to be bitter because they had to go out and get the latest and greatest iPad 2 only to now find out an iPad 3 is on the way. Well that was YOUR choice. My choice was to wait until they made a screen with better resolution because quite frankly, it pales in comparison to the iPhone 4. I showed patience. Now my hard money earned will be spent much more wisely and I will be rewarded. A better quality screen and I will be set for years. I never understood the craze for iPad 2 anyways. Yes, it's a little faster. But that's it. Any astute consumer with a limited budget would've held off anyways.

Popeye206
Jul 1, 2011, 01:23 PM
I also kept help noting that there's been no mention of the ipod Touch. What if that is what is being released with the phone. Perhaps they are going to shake it up and make it a little larger. Closer to 5" than 3" to separate it from being just a phone that doesn't make calls. So it becomes the midstep. But the sources of the rumors are labeling it as an ipad not an ipod.

iPad Mini :D

Lennholm
Jul 1, 2011, 01:26 PM

So apple will have the three vest tablets on the market in the fall.

Certainly not, nothing bigger than at most 7 inches would fit in a vest pocket :p

Alphaforcex
Jul 1, 2011, 01:28 PM
I strongly believe Apple need an iPad update by end of years. If you guys look at Samsung, they have the thinnest tablet right now and the galaxy tab is looking really good. All it's missing is just some apps right now. Consider what will happen when Samsung throws in a 2048x1536 panel to that thing and Android apps start picking up (it's just a matter of time).

I know we keep saying spec dont matter but I guess no one really argue how sharp the display is on the ip4...we all want it. Well, I know I do. My point is, I will seriously consider picking one up if it even when I am so lock into iOS right now.

It might not call iPad 3 though. I think it makes sense to have a real iPad HD and cost 100-200 more.

FoxHoundADAM
Jul 1, 2011, 01:34 PM
+1

Solid points, but I counter you with the fact that Apple is still sitting on the iPhone 4 which is in a very similar situation as the iPad market. Lots of competition and lots of new products coming out almost monthly. They felt so confident in their position they even moved back the release of their next phone 3 months.

Popeye206
Jul 1, 2011, 01:37 PM
I strongly believe Apple need an iPad update by end of years. If you guys look at Samsung, they have the thinnest tablet right now and the galaxy tab is looking really good. All it's missing is just some apps right now. Consider what will happen when Samsung throws in a 2048x1536 panel to that thing and Android apps start picking up (it's just a matter of time). .

See... this logic makes no sense to me. I might understand this if you don't have any iOS devices and don't own an iPad, but to switch to Tab because this week it may look a little better... no. Don't get it. Given I have an iPhone and an iPad now with iOS and iCloud coming, I wouldn't even consider it at this point.

Besides... let's look at Tab 1.0 customers... less than one year later... how are they being taken care of by Samsung? I don't think I want to be the next forgotten customer and left behind.

derek1984
Jul 1, 2011, 01:38 PM
To me, Retina is a HUGE upgrade. There is nothing more important than the screen. After all, that is what the iPad is. Retina for the iPhone 4 and for the iPad are worthy upgrades and I would feel set for years.

Popeye206
Jul 1, 2011, 01:43 PM
To me, Retina is a HUGE upgrade. There is nothing more important than the screen. After all, that is what the iPad is. Retina for the iPhone 4 and for the iPad are worthy upgrades and I would feel set for years.

The iPhone 4 would ROCK with a Retnia display! :rolleyes:

I think you got your wording messed up?

ahbo
Jul 1, 2011, 01:46 PM
There have been many conflicting reports about whether a new iPad will be introduced this fall or early next year.

But what if they're both right?

It's pretty much agreed that the iPhone released in the fall will be dual-mode - GSM and CDMA. What if there's a coinciding refresh of the iPad at this time simply to unify the two 3G models as well?

The retina display upgrade would then occur in a major refresh in March 2011.

NebulaClash
Jul 1, 2011, 01:53 PM
I do wish people would stop posting that Steve Jobs pic as if that proved anything. iPad 3 will be out whenever it is ready, and 2011 has nothing to do with it.

beebler
Jul 1, 2011, 02:15 PM
This seems totally legit. :rolleyes:

Think what you want. One of my best friends works in Apple R&D. There's no reason why I'd just say nonsense.

beebler
Jul 1, 2011, 02:28 PM
You must work for The National Enquirer with top notch sources like that! LOL

Well, obviously my source doesn't know everything. He even has to flip papers upside down when he's not at his desk so they're quite tight.

But he does know what Apple's working on (aside from iPhone which is in a different department) at least vaguely. He has to listen to designer's proposals and help create a budget for them. He's given me a fair share of info and although he's not 100% accurate on all the details, he's been somewhat on point. I don't know if you can but if you look back at all my posts, they'll have at least some mention of something before they're known. A lot of times it's just about designers testing things out, like they're playing with the key color and going back to something more silver from black.

You can doubt and make fun but just store this note for a bit:

The next release of MacBook Pros will be the redesign, early next year. It'll be thinner, full SSD, etc., but the point they'll be showing off is the screen.

Just because I'm not quoting some media outlet or foreign third party case designer doesn't mean that this isn't information. If I didn't have any info (which I won't in a bit because my friend won't be there much longer), I wouldn't be wasting my time at all posting nonsense.

shompa
Jul 1, 2011, 02:39 PM
All Ipad3 believers:

WHO IS GOING TO SUPPLY THE 28NM A6?

No one can today manufacture 28nm. How are Apple technically going to release a product if it can't be manufactured?

I love speculation, but try to have some technical know how.
Lie:
"Apple has built a secret factory that can produce 28nm chips"

Black Belt
Jul 1, 2011, 02:41 PM
iPad 3 is utter nonsense. They have BARELY started to meet demand for the iPad 2. It is still sold out most places.

TG1
Jul 1, 2011, 02:45 PM
If the iPad and iPhone launched simultaneously every September, we'd all be broke before Christmas!

Blacklabel34
Jul 1, 2011, 02:48 PM
Whats funny is all the people upset by this are the iPad2 owners. So what if they do or don't release a new iPad in a few months. I'm still happy with my original iPad. If your happy with what you have does it really matter?

If the iPad and iPhone launched simultaneously every September, we'd all be broke before Christmas!
^+1

I do wish people would stop posting that Steve Jobs pic as if that proved anything. iPad 3 will be out whenever it is ready, and 2011 has nothing to do with it.
^+1
Its called marketing people. Whatever it takes to sell the product. (Within reason:rolleyes:)

Neodym
Jul 1, 2011, 03:00 PM
Solid points, but I counter you with the fact that Apple is still sitting on the iPhone 4 which is in a very similar situation as the iPad market. [...] They felt so confident in their position they even moved back the release of their next phone 3 months.
There is a good chance that the Fukushima incident _forced_ them moving back the release. The whole electronics industry struggled heavily after that happened, because they suddenly had to evaluate and qualify alternatives to already firmly set components for upcoming (and perhaps already announced) product releases.

And components in this relation does not necessarily equal a camera module, memory, screen or other "big" parts (though those could have been affected as well), but could come down to something as (seemingly) simple as capacitors and resistors.

It will be interesting to see if products released a couple of months after Fukushima will show a significantly higher failure rate in the future due to exactly that problem (re-evaluate and re-qualify many components and new suppliers under a huge time pressure). This would not be limited to Apple though, mind you!

You don't think a company with over $70 BILLION in cash [...] doesn't have the capability to fire simultaneously on multiple product lines? [...] As of September 2010, Apple had over 46,000 full time employees worldwide.
How many of those 46,000 full time employees are actually working in the R&D department?

Whats funny is all the people upset by this are the iPad2 owners. [...] I'm still happy with my original iPad.
Actually i intentionally went for an iPad 1 (refurb) as an affordable stop-gap measure to find out whether i could really make use of it, before i switch to the second-next generation with higher res display. The iPad defined a new market and such emerging markets often show short product cycles in the beginning, therefore i would not be surprised to see a complement or successor to the iPad 2 within this calendar year.

iPad 3 is utter nonsense. They have BARELY started to meet demand for the iPad 2. It is still sold out most places.
Existing suppliers can't deliver the volume needed, so Apple does have to add other suppliers anyway. Under the given circumstances it would be a wise business decision to have those "new" suppliers produce an updated version of the "old" model right from the beginning.

macchiato2009
Jul 1, 2011, 03:01 PM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/01/apples-suppliers-preparing-for-fall-launch-of-iphone-5-and-ipad-3/)

Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/ipad_2_iphone_4-150x92.jpg)

DigiTimes reports (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110701PD216.html) that upstream suppliers in Apple's manufacturing chain have been given orders to begin preparing for production of next-generation iPhone and iPad, with a debut expected in the September-October timeframe.While Apple has been widely rumored to be preparing to launch its next-generation iPhone within that timeframe, a new iPad has been a controversial topic. A number of sources have reported that Apple may introduce an updated iPad just months after the release of the iPad 2 as the company seeks to maintain its stranglehold on the tablet market in the face of rapidly-increasing competition, but those claims have been met with skepticism by others expecting Apple to roughly stick to its usual annual update cycle.

According to the today's report, the new iPad will likely be thinner and lighter than the current iPad 2 and will support a display resolution of approximately 250 dpi, which would be double that of the iPad and iPad 2.

Article Link: Apple's Suppliers Preparing for Fall Launch of iPhone 5 and iPad 3? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/01/apples-suppliers-preparing-for-fall-launch-of-iphone-5-and-ipad-3/)

Come on...

the iPad 2 was launched 3 months ago...

sometimes i wonder if macrumors is just trying to generate visits with stupid news....

charlituna
Jul 1, 2011, 03:08 PM

That's the beauty of Apple. They don't need the Holiday season to push their sales up. And folks will be quite happy to receive a gift card for their appropriate holiday and wait for the revision in the spring

pyro008
Jul 1, 2011, 03:12 PM
Why on earth would it make sense to synchronize these products??? There are always shortages when these are first introduced, and the common components between them will almost certainly make the overall shortages worse than individual ones. Aside from that, spending all that money at one time as opposed to spreading it out over the year?

To me consolidation of the updates of these lines seems like it will do far more harm than good, and coupled with the fact that the ipad2 just came out, I think an ipad 3 in Q3 is unlikely.

LoganT
Jul 1, 2011, 03:26 PM
Apple: 2011: The Year of the iPad 2. Oh yeah and also the iPad 3, later this year. But why would we tell you that now?

Michael Scrip
Jul 1, 2011, 04:21 PM
Why put an A6 into just one product now, then another product 6 months later, when you can put it into both products now, double your orders and get a much better discount?

Imagine if Apple put the A6 in the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad at the same time... that's a lot of chip orders.

I guess that's why Apple is looking towards TSMC for the future.

Ijustfarted
Jul 1, 2011, 04:23 PM
Oh god I really really hope an iPad 3 doesn't release this year. I don't want to sell my iPad 2 so soon and go through the trouble of finding an iPad 3 because we all know how difficult it would be to find one :(

neutrino23
Jul 1, 2011, 07:04 PM
There is no way Apple would replace the iPad 2 with iPad 3 this early. However, they might come out with a high end "pro" version with double the resolution in the display. This would solve lot of problems. It would leave current production untouched, it would capture a lot of attention, it would sell for more, maybe $1,000 or so, so it would sell in smaller numbers letting them experiment with this new technology without putting the whole product line at risk, it would knock the competition on their heels, selling in small numbers the apps developers would have more time to support it.

Being high end they might just sell one model. 64GB with a universal 3G/CDMA radio and WiFi.

Note that they currently sell both the iPhone 4 and 3S at different price points.

Doubling the resolution has time value. If they do this in 2013 they are following the competition. 2012 they join the competition. 2011 they are clear leaders.

There are a number of science, engineering and artistic applications that would hugely benefit from a high resolution display.

LoganT
Jul 1, 2011, 07:07 PM
I wish Apple would release an iPad 3 early, just to shut people up who say "Apple would never..."

mattg3
Jul 1, 2011, 07:28 PM
What they need is to release a 5g ipod touch.

gadget123
Jul 1, 2011, 07:35 PM

Samsung only release a few top end phones most are mid range. Galaxy S had a full year.

gadget123
Jul 1, 2011, 07:38 PM
I strongly believe Apple need an iPad update by end of years. If you guys look at Samsung, they have the thinnest tablet right now and the galaxy tab is looking really good. All it's missing is just some apps right now. Consider what will happen when Samsung throws in a 2048x1536 panel to that thing and Android apps start picking up (it's just a matter of time).

I know we keep saying spec dont matter but I guess no one really argue how sharp the display is on the ip4...we all want it. Well, I know I do. My point is, I will seriously consider picking one up if it even when I am so lock into iOS right now.

It might not call iPad 3 though. I think it makes sense to have a real iPad HD and cost 100-200 more.

The IPhone 3GS had a 3 mega pixel camera when SE were releasing 12 mega pixels.

Would you not rather let IPad 2 run it's cycle than haveva rushed IPad 2 with a new screen?

If the IPad 3 did come Ocobter I assume those who get it don't mind upgrading to IPad 4 in March 2012?

I think not. :p:rolleyes:

gadget123
Jul 1, 2011, 07:44 PM
Come on...

the iPad 2 was launched 3 months ago...

sometimes i wonder if macrumors is just trying to generate visits with stupid news....

Exactly.

If Apple were going to release a high resolution IPad why not do it in March and make it the top model with 3G and 64GB? We were told in rumour sites it would be too expensive. The rumours upgrade here is not even retina. Surely Apple would rather release an IPad 3 with better specs than rush a IPad 2.1 out?

Who knows though if Apple go down the line of Nano IPhones and cheap IPads with smaller screen it's basically following Samsung. Doubt there would be long ones of queues as Apple phones and iPads has caused a big demand as they release one big product a year.

I think the delayed iPhone announcement has started this speculation now the Ipbone never got released in a cycle. I still think it will be one iPhone a year, one IPod maybe not even an update some years now as it's as good as it can get so maybe just one IPad and one IPhone.

SactoGuy18
Jul 1, 2011, 08:55 PM
I think the most likely change for the iPad 3 is going from 1024x768 to 1280x960 resolution for the display panel. 1280x960 is sufficient to result in a lot cleaner looking fonts for text, critical if the iPad is going to be viable e-book reader.

neutrino23
Jul 1, 2011, 10:01 PM
I think the most likely change for the iPad 3 is going from 1024x768 to 1280x960 resolution for the display panel. 1280x960 is sufficient to result in a lot cleaner looking fonts for text, critical if the iPad is going to be viable e-book reader.

Highly unlikely. If it were just a matter of font display they might. However, most apps rely on there being a certain number of pixels in the display. If you change the display resolution by an non-integral fraction that causes a lot of problems for developers. That is the reason that doubling the resolution is being discussed. It will be double resolution or no change.

kgregc1
Jul 1, 2011, 10:13 PM
Apple is looking for profits. If they looked at the number of units of a current product they have, and plug in the cost of a newly developed CPU, camera and screen and find they can produce the new and improved product at the same profit level, at the projected volume, they have several options.

They can keep the same model number in production and introduce the newer unit later when they can go back to the part manufacturers with proven increased quantity numbers to get better prices. They would just rely on the momentum they have now with the current model beating the competition for a while, and not upset buyers of the fairly recently released version.

Or, they could introduce a new version, with the same profit margins, but raise the bar to the competition, ensuring a year or so of dominance in the market place, but upsetting some of their customers who just bought the latest version.

Or, they could find out they could produce the new version at a higher profit level, enough to maybe even toss a rebate to the current version buyers to keep them happy with the product they just bought. They would then reap the extra benefits of higher margins and a product that totally blows the competition away.

You don't base product introduction just on past introduction date history, if it makes more sense, profit wise and market share wise, to do it earlier.

My opinion...

fpsBeaTt
Jul 2, 2011, 01:30 AM
Thank god we have you to tell all of us that more choice is crap. /s

*sigh* Don't be so obtuse, erzhik. More choice is good; the choices currently available that compete are crap.

fpsBeaTt
Jul 2, 2011, 01:35 AM
All Ipad3 believers:

WHO IS GOING TO SUPPLY THE 28NM A6?

No one can today manufacture 28nm. How are Apple technically going to release a product if it can't be manufactured?

I love speculation, but try to have some technical know how.
Lie:
"Apple has built a secret factory that can produce 28nm chips"

Someone must have forgotten to inform intel and AMD before they started producing 22 and 28nm chips for testing (Ivy Bridge is 22nm, Bulldozer and Southern Islands are both 28nm). Please, research before you post an incorrect statement while criticizing those whom you believe to have posted an incorrect statement.

MayorQuimby
Jul 2, 2011, 10:24 AM
I haven't read the entire thread but I think it IS possible for there to be an 'interim' upgrade to the iPad 2. Apple did this with the iPhone 3GS. We could see an "iPad 2GS" with 128 gigs and potentially a better screen, battery etc.

ADD: And it would probably be enough to give them the edge through the holiday season - especially with iOS 5 coming out.

iStudentUK
Jul 2, 2011, 12:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I haven't read the entire thread but I think it IS possible for there to be an 'interim' upgrade to the iPad 2. Apple did this with the iPhone 3GS. We could see an "iPad 2GS" with 128 gigs and potentially a better screen, battery etc.

ADD: And it would probably be enough to give them the edge through the holiday season - especially with iOS 5 coming out.

That would be quite an update. Extra capacity, screen, battery etc would be a much bigger change than the 3G -> 3GS was.

MayorQuimby
Jul 2, 2011, 12:40 PM
Fair enough. Still, it wouldn't surprise me to see a minor interim upgrade of some kind.

Man9z0r
Jul 2, 2011, 04:21 PM
I would have to agree with most people on this thread. I am just now starting to be able to see iPad 2's available to purchase. It would be foolish for apple to start selling iPad 3 so early and if anything would probably upset a lot of people. I would understand this if the iPad 2 had issues or wasn't selling very well but as you can see that is not the case.

Arran
Jul 2, 2011, 05:16 PM
Who says "iPad 3" needs to be a wholesale replacement for ipad 2?

How about it being an addition to the iPad lineup? Something like a cheaper, smaller, Nook or Kindle-like device? Right now Apple are not competing in the $200 e-reader market where Nook and Kindle seem to be doing quite well. That's a long-term threat to Apple: As value-seeking customers get comfortable and "invested" in competing readers and e-book infrastructures, it's going to be tough to lure them into the iOS/iTunes world.

Oh yeah, that, and the fact that a $200 device released in the Fall would be a much more attractive impulse buy (Christmas gift) than the current $500 base iPad (which, of course, everyone will be expecting to be superseded early in the New Year)

Dillenger
Jul 2, 2011, 07:01 PM
"If" this is true, well eBay here comes my iPad 2. :D

Mr. Gates
Jul 3, 2011, 05:32 AM
When it comes to a shiny gimmick product, resolution is every thing :p

Day48
Jul 3, 2011, 08:54 AM

Perhaps, perhaps not.
Just my 2¢

Nope Jobs has said that he believes 10" screens is the minimum...
(http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1032899.html)

knucklehead
Jul 3, 2011, 12:09 PM
Nope Jobs has said that he believes 10" screens is the minimum...
(http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1032899.html)

You seem to really not get the part where he said "Regardless of what steve said before"...

I'll take an iPad at 250ppi and pocketable.

tinman0
Jul 3, 2011, 12:17 PM
You seem to really not get the part where he said "Regardless of what steve said before"...

I'll take an iPad at 250ppi and pocketable.

It's called an iPod Touch. HTH.

Apple won't be delivering a 7" iPad anytime soon as they have zero reasons to cover 7" (and not forgetting that Steve already said that its too small - and as an owner of #3995 iPad, I think he's spot on.)

mustnotsleep
Jul 3, 2011, 01:42 PM
I still dont see the point of an iPad. You cant jailbreak an iPad 2 yet, cant use it as a standalone device, very low storage numbers, maybe 10% of my iPhone apps have an iPad version, terrible resolution, etc. You people who buy every iPad just because Steve Jobs told you to must really be quite terrible with computers in general to accept this as something special. What point does it serve in its current form that an iPhone or laptop doesnt destroy in every category? If they increased storage to 128gb+, got a jailbreak and added retina display it would be a million times better. Until then, it is just a confused piece of crap. Not that any other tablet on the market is any better. The iPad 3 is desperately necessary and the fact that it only has 250dpi is very disappointing. I guess the 4th generation might be usable.

fertilized-egg
Jul 3, 2011, 01:56 PM
I still dont see the point of an iPad. ... What point does it serve in its current form that an iPhone or laptop doesnt destroy in every category?.

Let me give you a couple scenarios.

I sit down on a livingroom couch, relaxed. I don't want to sit in front of a computer and do not want to put a heavy, hot and often loud notebook on my lap. I still want to browse the web as I chat with my family. I check some emails, read news, check out the upcoming TV schedule, etc.

Later in the evening. My wife grabs the iPad. She does a bit of Skype/FaceTime with her parents and shows our kids to their grandparents and they say hello. She remembers we had pictures from our DSLR camera that haven't been uploaded. She imports the pictures of our kids into the iPad. She picks out a few that she likes, do some editing such as cropping and changing the color tone, exposure, etc, adds some text and border then she uploads it straight to Flickr.

It is so much faster, easier and more intuitive to do these on the iPad than with a computer or a phone. There are definitely numerous tasks that requires computers and some might find the tablet just not suitable for their work but I think it's crazy to assert that tablets don't do many things in a much more enjoyable and easier fashion than computers or phones.

tinman0
Jul 3, 2011, 06:54 PM
I still dont see the point of an iPad. You cant jailbreak an iPad 2 yet, cant use it as a standalone device, very low storage numbers, maybe 10% of my iPhone apps have an iPad version, terrible resolution, etc. You people who buy every iPad just because Steve Jobs told you to must really be quite terrible with computers in general to accept this as something special. What point does it serve in its current form that an iPhone or laptop doesnt destroy in every category? If they increased storage to 128gb+, got a jailbreak and added retina display it would be a million times better. Until then, it is just a confused piece of crap. Not that any other tablet on the market is any better. The iPad 3 is desperately necessary and the fact that it only has 250dpi is very disappointing. I guess the 4th generation might be usable.

Don't buy one then.

We didn't buy an iPad just because SJ told us to, but because it fit a requirement we had. We wanted a machine that could travel easily, sit on the sofa easily, and that wasn't a netbook or laptop. Nor did we want Windows, and frankly, nor did we want an OSX tablet either. We wanted something inbetween a laptop and iPhone.

So for us, Ippy (yup, it has a name) has been absolutely superb. I am pleased to say that as an early adopter (Ippy was the 3995th (or thereabouts) iPad ordered from Apple on the launch day)), our iPad is still being used 6-7 times a day, and probably clocks up more hours than the tv does.

But is the iPad suitable for you? No.

Whatever imperfections you see in the iPad, 25m other users don't see those imperfections. It does what they want perfectly.

And as for jail breaking, I've said this many times that myself and my wife made a living out of IT until recently. Just because we understand IT, doesn't mean we want to screw around with IT in our free time. Our sole requirement is that it just works.

Much like I don't want to understand our washing to have clean clothes. I put dirty clothes in, clean clothes come out. The bit in the middle I don't care about. Same goes for the iPad; I put a web address in, and I don't care how it reaches that site, I just want to see a web page. And so forth.

lilo777
Jul 3, 2011, 09:25 PM
"If" this is true, well eBay here comes my iPad 2. :D

You'd better hurry up. eBay is already full of iPad 2 offerings (thousands of them at every given day).

DeathChill
Jul 3, 2011, 09:57 PM
You'd better hurry up. eBay is already full of iPad 2 offerings (thousands of them at every given day).

Indeed, that's what happens when Apple can't build them fast enough; they increase in value and go on eBay!

RMarch
Jul 3, 2011, 10:24 PM
While my personal opinion is that Apple will not release an iPad 3 in the fall, I could only see one scenario where they might. That would be to release it in addition to the iPad 2. If Apple can reduce the cost of the iPad 2 by even $100 across the lineup, combined with an "iPad 2GS or iPad 3" at the current pricing, it would destroy any hope of another tablet selling more units than I can fit in my trunk.

The real question is does Apple need to do this in 2011. Why not the exact same strategy in 2012? That is why in the end I think they will move to the iPad 3 in 2012 and by then maybe even knock $150 - 200 off the iPad 2, which will in real world scenarios still be ahead of the competition.

tombubi
Jul 4, 2011, 01:26 AM
I tend not to believe that Apple will release another iPad this year, but you never know. Apple is full of surprises. However, I still hope not coz I just bought an iPad2 not long ago.

macjacky11
Jul 4, 2011, 02:12 AM
I dont think it will be wise for Apple to break their annual update policy.

Paradoxpm
Jul 4, 2011, 05:23 AM
I dont think it will be wise for Apple to break their annual update policy.

They already did.;)

shompa
Jul 4, 2011, 07:05 AM
Someone must have forgotten to inform intel and AMD before they started producing 22 and 28nm chips for testing (Ivy Bridge is 22nm, Bulldozer and Southern Islands are both 28nm). Please, research before you post an incorrect statement while criticizing those whom you believe to have posted an incorrect statement.

I would not write what I wrote if I was not sure of that i wrote is true.
So: please do some new research to learn how it is in real world.

Intel does not sell wafers. They will not produce Apple ARM chips.

AMD does not produce chips. Global foundries does that for AMD. They have so far produces zero 28nm chips.

Bulldozer is a 32nm chip.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulldozer_(processor)

Southern Island is produced by TMSC in 28nm.

There are rumors that simpler models of SI will be produced by Global foundries. TMSC and GloFo processing techniques are different. A 28nm chip from TMSC needs to be ported to GloFo techniques. Especially since GloFo has produced zero AMD GPUs so far.

shompa
Jul 4, 2011, 07:12 AM

Flash memory is passe thanks to Icloud.

Ipad2Gs is possible. If Samsung has some competence they would have matured the A5 processing and be able to clock it higher without drawing to much more energy.

Ipad2 still are not manufactured fast enough. I know people who ordered Ipad2 in May and have not got them.

A second Ipad assembly plant in Brazil should start to ramp up production during later part this year: my guess is that the pc magazine that started the Ipad3 rumor believed that the second Ipad2 production line had something to do with a new Ipad.

shompa
Jul 4, 2011, 07:29 AM
There have been many conflicting reports about whether a new iPad will be introduced this fall or early next year.

But what if they're both right?

It's pretty much agreed that the iPhone released in the fall will be dual-mode - GSM and CDMA. What if there's a coinciding refresh of the iPad at this time simply to unify the two 3G models as well?

The retina display upgrade would then occur in a major refresh in March 2011.

The Ipad3 rumor was started by a PC magazine. They have zero credibility. I was horrified that Yahoo finance and many other stock watch sites reported this rumor. MacRumors published the rumor after them.

MacRumors publish these rumors since it draws traffic.
I would respect MacRumors more if they did a blurb if it is POSSIBLE to make an Ipad3.

Something that MacRumors have not reported is that Apple got test chips back from TMSC last week. Are these test 28 wafers? Or simple A5 40nm wafers?

Ipad3 has a retina display. Can A5 drive this display? No, it has to slow graphics.

The graphic chip that Apple uses was updated recently to PowerVR6. This is the chip that Apple need to put inside their SoC to be able to drive a retina version of Ipad.

Other ARM designers have announced dual core Cortex9 with powerVR6 to be released late this year. Could Apple use a similar solution? This can be manufactured at 40nm and released this year. A5+.

The problem is that a dual core A5+ chip would be outdated fast. Nvidia Tegra3 has quod core CPU+12graphic units. This is also release later this year. We will see loads of Android tables with quod core. Could Apple have just a dual core then? The problem is that Tegra3 uses 40nm manufacturing technique and requires much more energy than Apples A series chips. But Android manufactures put larger batteries and have 6 hours of battery time instead of 11.

This is the reason why Apple has to wait for 28nm to manufacture it's quod core chip. Apple want to have 10+ hours battery times on their tablets.

knucklehead
Jul 4, 2011, 11:55 AM
It's called an iPod Touch. HTH.

Uh .... no.

The iPad done in 250ppi and shrunk to 1/4 size would not be an iPod Touch.
I'm not kidding! --- Check for yourself:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/ipod_touch?mco=MTM3NTEyOTc

Notable differences:

1024 x 768 vs. 960 x 640 screen resolution

3G

GPS

won't be delivering a 7" iPad anytime soon as they have zero reasons to cover 7" (and not forgetting that Steve already said that its too small - and as an owner of #3995 iPad, I think he's spot on.)

Getting the iPad to the 5" range(1/4 size) would make it pocketable for even those who don't wear decorative coats ---- a pretty big advantage for those who would like to have the functionality of the iPad with them as much as possible.

I also have a 1st. generation iPad, and considered supplementing it with a Touch .... but among other things, it's too small ....

macjacky11
Jul 7, 2011, 04:46 AM
They already did.;)

I guess I miss that. When did that happen and for which product?

Paradoxpm
Jul 7, 2011, 04:51 AM
I guess I miss that. When did that happen and for which product?

iPhone 5 - WWDC summer 2011