PDA

View Full Version : Joy Factory Folio360-II Case Review

DA INFERNO
Jul 1, 2011, 11:18 AM
I have been waiting for this case (http://www.thejoyfactory.com/products/protection/folio360-ii.html) for some time know and finally got it in today. I wanted this case (or a case) that I can view vertical and horizontal and had sleep/wake function. I ordered this on Amazon and they shipped it from the east coast:mad: It took what seemed like forever to get here, even though thejoyfactory is only 4 hours south of me.

Well lets get back to the case. So far LOVE IT:D. It does everything it says it does. Sleep/awake function works! When you bend the flap all the way around it is held in place by the snapping flap. (it holds it close and holds it open) It has a good typing angle in both vertical and horizontal. It is sturdy in the vertical position. (some were worried about that) It will NOT stand straight up and down or it will fall backwards. Its not leather, but it looks and feels pretty nice. It allows access to all buttons and plugs on the iPad. Its a little hard to separate the hard back piece from the folio, but I think that is a good thing! Overall I think this is a GREAT case to own and use. I will keep this up dated if I have any problems with it. :)

I also bought this with the future idea of buying thejoyfactory valet heatrest mount (http://www.thejoyfactory.com/products/mount/valetheadresetipad2.html) I think it will be good that you can use the valet mount and use the smart cover like the Toucoul (http://toucoul.com/products/coulvue-for-ipad-2) can

As a side note :since the snap in case and folio separate I thought I would try my wife's smart cover on it with out the folio and just with the back snap case on, Works great if you want to protect the back of your iPad but dont need the folio around the house.

(sorry for the some of the pics it was taken with my 3gs)

DA INFERNO
Jul 1, 2011, 11:19 AM
More Pics

DA INFERNO
Jul 1, 2011, 11:20 AM
More

DA INFERNO
Jul 1, 2011, 11:21 AM
:d

DA INFERNO
Jul 1, 2011, 11:22 AM
:)

consumer101
Jul 1, 2011, 05:06 PM
Thank you for posting your review.

Have you ever used the Targus 360? How thick/thin is the Folio360 II compared to it?

Someone in the sg forums bought the Folio360 recently as well and has some concerns about the case. Do you see them as issues:

1. "The 4 corners holding the ipad seem flimsy." Is this true? Looking @the pictures, he does bring up a good point.

2. "It's somewhat difficult to rotate." How easy is it switch between landscape and portrait modes?

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?p=57294534

DA INFERNO
Jul 2, 2011, 12:49 AM
Thank you for posting your review.

Have you ever used the Targus 360? How thick/thin is the Folio360 II compared to it?

Someone in the sg forums bought the Folio360 recently as well and has some concerns about the case. Do you see them as issues:

1. "The 4 corners holding the ipad seem flimsy." Is this true? Looking @the pictures, he does bring up a good point.

2. "It's somewhat difficult to rotate." How easy is it switch between landscape and portrait modes?

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?p=57294534

1. It does not seem like it to me. I guess they could be thicker, but I don't find that they seem flimsy to me. I tried to play (wiggle) them around and they seem strong enough.

2. I can see where it can be. If you lay it flat it is pretty easy. If it's standing up then it will take some practice.

If I remember the targus 360 has NO sleep/awake feature. That's why I did not try it.

consumer101
Jul 3, 2011, 09:26 PM
If I remember the targus 360 has NO sleep/awake feature. That's why I did not try it.

Actually I was thinking of the Cygnett Rotating Armor which is similar to the Targus except that it comes with the sleep/wake feature.

I like the Targus design in terms of functionality but it is thicker than I like and of course, not having sleep/wake is a show stopper.

I'll try out the Folio 360. It's weird though that several reputable places like amazon and newegg carry it but there aren't any reviews posted.

DA INFERNO
Jul 4, 2011, 11:47 AM
Actually I was thinking of the Cygnett Rotating Armor which is similar to the Targus except that it comes with the sleep/wake feature.

I like the Targus design in terms of functionality but it is thicker than I like and of course, not having sleep/wake is a show stopper.

I'll try out the Folio 360. It's weird though that several reputable places like amazon and newegg carry it but there aren't any reviews posted.

I agree, but joy factory just started shipping it on June 23. I kept waiting for reviews or video reviews to come out on it, but I could not find any, so thats why I bought it. I also like that you can take the two pieces apart from each other and just use the back cover as a protector.

consumer101
Jul 22, 2011, 05:49 PM
I've been using this case for a couple of weeks now.

Out of all the cases I've tried including the Targus 360, Smartcover, Zoogue and Philips Padded Easel, this is the best case if you're looking for portrait functionality and an intermediate angle (about 45 degree) to prop up the ipad (in either portrait or landscape).

It has the required sleep/wake functionality but I was pretty impressed by 2 other features:
1. The big non-slip pad. It actually makes the ipad very stable in portrait or landscape at almost any angle (compared to the couple of grooves of the Targus). And it's easier to setup and put away compared to the Zoogue (although the Zoogue is not difficult).

2. The magnetic closure/snap that helps keep the cover closed is also very easy to use. I actually didn't like the straps of the other cases b/c they're a little more of a hassle to use.

Negatives are that it's not leather and is more expensive than the others.

eagleglen
Jul 23, 2011, 08:10 AM
I've been using this case for a couple of weeks now.

Out of all the cases I've tried including the Targus 360, Smartcover, Zoogue and Philips Padded Easel, this is the best case if you're looking for portrait functionality and an intermediate angle (about 45 degree) to prop up the ipad (in either portrait or landscape).

It has the required sleep/wake functionality but I was pretty impressed by 2 other features:
1. The big non-slip pad. It actually makes the ipad very stable in portrait or landscape at almost any angle (compared to the couple of grooves of the Targus). And it's easier to setup and put away compared to the Zoogue (although the Zoogue is not difficult).

2. The magnetic closure/snap that helps keep the cover closed is also very easy to use. I actually didn't like the straps of the other cases b/c they're a little more of a hassle to use.

Negatives are that it's not leather and is more expensive than the others.

Thank you for your review. I've had my eye on this case for sometime and these are precisely the details I was interested in. Good to hear it's as nice as I was hoping.

tanboom
Aug 19, 2011, 09:41 AM
Hi DA INFERNO,

Excellent review, really helpful. Could you please let us know the weight? Thank you!

consumer101
Aug 20, 2011, 03:19 PM
I have the case as well but don't have a scale readily available.

According to this site, it's about 12.8oz.

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item=THEAAD115~item.htm

DA INFERNO
Aug 28, 2011, 07:56 PM
I have the case as well but don't have a scale readily available.

According to this site, it's about 12.8oz.

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item=THEAAD115~item.htm

Same, I don't have a scale, but it is not uncomfortable to hold. Thanks for the link:)

eagleglen
Oct 23, 2011, 10:42 PM
I've been using the Folio360 case for a few weeks now and could not be more pleased. Here are a few of my observations and why I like it.

I was surprised by how little additional bulk is caused by the gear that is used to make the shell that holds the iPad rotate. It's not even noticeable unlike the other popular case that rotates. But it also seems more than durable enough.

If you enjoy using the iPad in the portrait orientation, then this case is for you. Since neither orientation is perfect 100% of the time, this is the ideal solution. And even for those times you'd prefer to hold the iPad naked, when it's removed from the case but still has the shell attached, it's pleasant to hold. A smart cover even fits so you have lots of versatility.

In the landscape orientation, the case can prop the iPad straight up and down, so you can view the screen head on. While at the same time you can still tap the screen without it toppling over too.

When you don't want to use the case as a stand and just hold it, like a book, with the case folded back, the inside padding is comfortable to hold and easy to grip.

I was also worried about the buckle, but it's magnetic so it folds around and sticks to the back side of the case, staying out of your way nicely.

I've had an iPad since the first gen launch, and have looked at a lot of cases seeing which features I liked best. This case is by far my favorite.

jayhawk98
Jul 12, 2012, 05:53 PM
Does anyone know if this case can be used with the new ipad (ipad 3)?

Thanks!

splatman85
Jul 12, 2012, 11:48 PM
http://www.thejoyfactory.com/product/CFA102

They got one for the new Ipad 3 now that just came out.

Does anyone know if this case can be used with the new ipad (ipad 3)?

Thanks!