PDA

View Full Version : OS X Lion Golden Master Seeded to Developers

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Jul 1, 2011, 12:45 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/01/os-x-lion-golden-master-seeded-to-developers/)

A GM release of OS X Lion was seeded to developers this afternoon, with a build number of 11A511, according to 9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/01/os-x-lion-golden-master-seeded-to-developers/). The developer site has since been taken down, with no explanation given.
http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/lon-500x179.png

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/lon.png)
A GM release is typically the final build before a piece of software ships to consumers. If no major bugs are found, Lion should be ready to go.

Article Link: OS X Lion Golden Master Seeded to Developers (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/01/os-x-lion-golden-master-seeded-to-developers/)

pavelbure
Jul 1, 2011, 12:47 PM
Hopefully next week it will be out with a option to make a bootable DVD.

lfc
Can't wait, this is much earlier then I expected! The July 6th rumours seem likely now 

*LTD*
Will this update Lion DP4 through software update?

Minhthien
Jul 1, 2011, 12:48 PM
MBA realllllllll soon now!

mende1
Jul 1, 2011, 12:48 PM
Will this update Lion DP4 through software update?

No, it won't :(. Waiting for ***** :D.

jmann
Jul 1, 2011, 12:49 PM
Are there additional features? and.... GO!

Wayfarer
Jul 1, 2011, 12:50 PM
Bring it.

nicroma
Jul 1, 2011, 12:51 PM
Here's to hoping there are no major bugs! :D:apple:

j-a-x
Jul 1, 2011, 12:51 PM
Awesome! I wish it wasn't pulled so I could get it with my dev account and install it right now!

ikir
Jul 1, 2011, 12:53 PM
Finally, i will buy it the same minute it pop up on Mac App Store!

jamespa66
I can't wait to get home to try it out! Well after a couple hour download time of course.

johnj84
It's back and it weighs in at 3.74GB

BreuerEditor
Jul 1, 2011, 12:54 PM

here's to hoping they don't get rid of features like they did to FCPX :p

pmz
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh boy! I was hoping for this today, dp4 has been so buggy. Maybe another iOS 5 beta before days end.

Whoever installs it first, which version of iTunes does it include? Thanks.

utfcmac
GOGO APPL!!! :) need the new macbook air!

*LTD*
Jul 1, 2011, 12:55 PM
Well I've been using Lion DP4 as my daily OS since its release, so I might as well wait until the official release.

jonnysods
Jul 1, 2011, 12:55 PM
They must be busting to launch their MBA's with Lion.

sclawis300
Jul 1, 2011, 12:56 PM
here's to hoping they don't get rid of features like they did to FCPX :p

With this version everything is easier, but you will no longer be able to surf the internet. Or open any files you created while using any previous software...it is that much of an improvement.

j-a-x
It's back and it weighs in at 3.74GB

Awesome! I've been holding off on putting Lion on my main partition for a while but I think I'm ready to do it now! The lat dev release was very stable and I considered it but now I'm glad I waited.

Jerome Morrow
God help us all then, because it really feels too soon.

Edit: What? hate to hear the truth?

atMac
Jul 1, 2011, 12:57 PM
The dev site isn't down. I got in to get my Lion code with ease. The site wasn't even slow.

There are no Change Notes though.

bugout
Jul 1, 2011, 12:59 PM
it's out and in the dev portal.. downloading now

sevimli
Why not through the software update?:confused:

iFanaddic
Apple please bring back frontrow

EricBrian
Jul 1, 2011, 01:00 PM
OMG, I was dreamt about this last night.... Was wondering when they will release the GM. And, I am not even a fanboy. LOL.

Jerome Morrow
Jul 1, 2011, 01:01 PM

Same here. I'm one of those 5 guys that actually do use it.

Chairman Plow
Jul 1, 2011, 01:02 PM
Any noticeable differences from DP4?

*eagerly awaits*

WeegieMac
Jul 1, 2011, 01:03 PM
Looking forward to getting my hands on the GM and seeing if the RAM management, especially on Safari and Safari Web Content, has been improved.

Both of them ended up using near on 1GB of RAM at one point on DP4, which after a few hours use slowed my iMac down significantly, made animations/transitions extremely juddery at times, etc.

If the GM runs well, I'll buy the Mac App Store release. If it doesn't, I'll stick with a fully updated Snow Leopard at 10.6.8.

gothic860
Jul 1, 2011, 01:04 PM
Hopefully next week it will be out with a option to make a bootable DVD.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/06/08/create-burn-bootable-mac-os-x-lion-install-disc/

Michaelgtrusa
I can't wait!

AppleDroid
Still upset that my i1Match software (which is critical for me) won't work and Office 2008 won't install on a clean Lion roll-out. Sigh.

Merthyrboy

I also love using frontrow it's a nice clean interface that works for me when I'm watching tv in bed. Hope the rest of lion is worth the sacrifice and I'll try to leave apple some feedback as well to try to get them to add it.

Carlson-online
Jul 1, 2011, 01:05 PM
48 minutes remaining.....

lets see if Coda, Pro Tools 9 and my Duet 2 are still broke after installing :)

sclawis300

It should be more like "CLICK HERE TO CREATE A BOOTABLE DISK".

rick98761
Anyone checked to see if you can upgrade dp4 to final? Or does it make you do fresh?

Chairman Plow
Jul 1, 2011, 01:07 PM
48 minutes remaining.....

Hmm.. I'll have to keep my eyes open. I've been using Logic Pro for that very reason.

sine-nomine
Jul 1, 2011, 01:07 PM
Wait, Front Row is not in Lion?? How did I not know this already?

I use Front Row every single day to listen to music from my laptop as I work. It's nice because I can see the display from across the room where my computer is. Why on earth have they decided not to include it?

ugahairydawgs
Jul 1, 2011, 01:08 PM
Can only imagine what app store download speeds are going to be like the first couple of days after launch.

Should be good though...looking forward to the upgrade.

SiskoKid
Jul 1, 2011, 01:08 PM
Anyone checked to see if you can upgrade dp4 to final? Or does it make you do fresh?

This is my question as well. Im' at work right now and can't check the notes, but I'd love it if I could install the GM and not have to worry about software updates and upgrades later.

Either way, I get a free upgrade to Lion since i just bought an iMac, so I figure I may as well install it early ;)

Anyone know?

iFanaddic
Jul 1, 2011, 01:09 PM
I also love using frontrow it's a nice clean interface that works for me when I'm watching tv in bed. Hope the rest of lion is worth the sacrifice and I'll try to leave apple some feedback as well to try to get them to add it.

they shoud at least make it an optional download thru the app store.

ugahairydawgs

I use Front Row every single day to listen to music from my laptop as I work. It's nice because I can see the display from across the room where my computer is. Why on earth have they decided not to include it?

Pretty sure they discontinued Front Row. Maybe a replacement is in the works...some sort of version of what we have in ATV2

bugout

Will know in 20 minutes :)

Jerome Morrow
Jul 1, 2011, 01:10 PM
they shoud at least make it an optional download thru the app store.

Great idea.

Carlson-online
Jul 1, 2011, 01:10 PM
Hmm.. I'll have to keep my eyes open. I've been using Logic Pro for that very reason.

Yeah, I actually use Logic is my **main** app - i get sent projects in PT tho so atm its a PITA to get track stems to import into Logic!

erpetao
Jul 1, 2011, 01:11 PM
Do you guys know how long does usually take for the official release after the golden master has been released?

iFanaddic
Jul 1, 2011, 01:11 PM
My download failed at about 75% and redemption code could only be used once.. Aaaaww fml

kevingaffney
Jul 1, 2011, 01:12 PM
I sepend on cs5 illustrator and photoshop for work. Can someone who uses these check if they are compatible with this release. Ill upgrade on general release but dont want to wait for bug fixes from adobe if you get my drift

maddav
Jul 1, 2011, 01:12 PM
Good news, wasn't really expecting a GM so soon.

Yamcha
Jul 1, 2011, 01:13 PM
Looks like it's already being leaked, will likely be available online in some hours .. But I'm sure people will still buy it..

iSimx
I'm SO excited, it's nearly here!

berkleeboy210
Maybe that July 5th rumor might happen now?

atMac
My download failed at about 75% and redemption code could only be used once.. Aaaaww fml

The last redemption code let you DL it as many times as you want. Just delete the Lion installer from the Applications folder.

justinfreid
Roar.

;)

PBP
Jul 1, 2011, 01:14 PM
Do you guys know how long does usually take for the official release after the grand master has been released?
Nobody knows for sure, but probably about 2 weeks.

dermeister
Jul 1, 2011, 01:15 PM
So since it's a GM, can we assume it's going to be the release version? I've found several articles saying it could be the "last GM", implying there could be more than one...

And if I install this (assuming it's the GM), will I need to buy the release version of Lion?

keruah
Jul 1, 2011, 01:17 PM
Pretty sure they discontinued Front Row. Maybe a replacement is in the works...some sort of version of what we have in ATV2 ATV is the replacement. They abandoned Front Row and released ATV at the same time.

nagromme
Finally, i will buy it the same minute it pop up on Mac App Store!

I will buy it 60 days after that minute :)

A public release is ALWAYS a larger-scale test than any internal or beta testing could ever be. That means it will find issues. Big ones? Probably not, for most people. If you’re an early adopter, you’ll probably be just fine. Probably.

But by waiting I improve my odds. It’s not an Apple thing; with any brand (even cars) I’d wait and let other people be the guinea pigs, if the product is as important to me as my computer.

(And certain third-party games/apps may need a Lion update; I don’t want to lose those for a time because I rushed to install.)

iFanaddic
The last redemption code let you DL it as many times as you want. Just delete the Lion installer from the Applications folder.

I know, and it is not in my application folder. Still can't redownload.

erpetao
Jul 1, 2011, 01:18 PM

Sounds good, thanks!

bugout
Jul 1, 2011, 01:19 PM
Downloaded.. Just copying it to a USB stick before I try to install on DP4..

lfc
Jul 1, 2011, 01:19 PM
iCloud has been updated to beta 3

iFanaddic
Jul 1, 2011, 01:20 PM

Sucks to be us. Maybe we'll be cool enough to get an optional download thru the app store..

Yamcha
Jul 1, 2011, 01:20 PM
Does anyone know if its a .DMG file? or Installer?

Chairman Plow
Jul 1, 2011, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I actually use Logic is my **main** app - i get sent projects in PT tho so atm its a PITA to get track stems to import into Logic!

I'll soon be in that boat. I've mainly used PT for years, but I've just about fully transitioned to Logic. As you said, I'll still need PT. Many folks don't know how to export OMF, or consolidate regions for stems. Reassembling an entire session is a NIGHTMARE.

AnonMac50
I know, and it is not in my application folder. Still can't redownload.

Email Apple Dev support. I accidentally canceled my download with the DP2, and the code wouldn't redownload, so I emailed Apple and they provided a new one. OrÖyou could redeem the Server code and that would download both (I had a similar problem with DP3, and I found the Server code works).

dethmaShine
Is anyone having a problem with the App Store? It just doesn't download. Keeps rotating that sad boring activity indicator.

bogg
I don't get it.

Golden Master, not Grand Master

bbeagle
Jul 1, 2011, 01:22 PM

It's different this time. It should be shorter. There is no need to copy the DVDs, print the boxes, ship the boxes, prepare an event at the Apple store, etc. Lion can be released minutes after it's finished. I'm sure this is one reason why Apple chose the MacStore distribution method.

nagromme
Jul 1, 2011, 01:23 PM

I loved Front Row... but I realize now I don’t use it much. Because what I really loved was the remote itself, and that works with iTunes, QT player, Keynote, photo slideshows, EyeTV, Hulu (standalone), you name it. Even ControllerMate so I can customize it.

So although I’ve lost the ability to launch the media interface FROM the remote (unless possibly I work some ControllerMate voodoo), once it’s up I still have my Front Row-style control.

And I usually have a bluetooth mouse by the couch anyway, for scrubbing and launching apps. Or I just use iTeleport on my iPhone as a thumb-trackpad. Then, once the music/movie/whatever is up, I just use the remote to pause/skip and control volume.

*LTD*
Jul 1, 2011, 01:24 PM
God help us all then, because it really feels too soon.

Edit: What? hate to hear the truth?

Actually Lion DP4 is quite stable as it is. I've been using it as my main OS since release. No showstoppers so far.

bugout
Jul 1, 2011, 01:24 PM
Affirmative.. installs over DP4.... rebooting now..

CylonGlitch
Jul 1, 2011, 01:25 PM
Is anyone having a problem with the App Store? It just doesn't download. Keeps rotating that sad boring activity indicator.

They are prepping you for release day.

Reach9
Jul 1, 2011, 01:26 PM
I really hope Lion comes out on the 4th of July. It would be perfect! We can expect Lion to come out very soon! Woohoo!

NutsNGum
Jul 1, 2011, 01:26 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've held off installing it to avoid spoilers. I cannot wait for the new 11" MacBook Air.

ghostlines
Jul 1, 2011, 01:27 PM
Seems like Apple and the testers are really quick, or Apple is rushing to make good on their promise. Hopefully this won't have to many bugs in it. I've been following a bit of the news around Lion and it doesn't seem that developers have it that long.

But this is good news, at least some new hardware will follow this release.:cool:

lfc
Jul 1, 2011, 01:28 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've held off installing it to avoid spoilers.

We think alike :p

Small White Car
Jul 1, 2011, 01:30 PM
I don't get it.

I believe he saw the term "Grand Master" and thought it somehow sounded like "Grand Wizard."

I guess I don't "get it" either, but that's how it happened, I think.

atMac
Seems like Apple and the testers are really quick, or Apple is rushing to make good on their promise. Hopefully this won't have to many bugs in it. I've been following a bit of the news around Lion and it doesn't seem that developers have it that long.

But this is good news, at least some new hardware will follow this release.:cool:

I have been using Lion since the beginning of its Developer testing and IMO it has gone from total junk to a REALLY good solid OS. As log as the GM has no regressions on DP4 and is just final bug fixes then this will be a very stable initial release.

*LTD*
iCloud has been updated to beta 3

Which reminded me . . . i haven't really checked out all the features. I'm quite impressed if this is what it's going to be:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

matuzalem
hopefully next week it will be out with a option to make a bootable dvd.

you could already make bootable disks from day one. Kthnxnbye

FNH15
Jul 1, 2011, 01:32 PM
Even though it's not through the MAS, I can still install the GM over SL, right?

iFanaddic
Jul 1, 2011, 01:32 PM
Email Apple Dev support. I accidentally canceled my download with the DP2, and the code wouldn't redownload, so I emailed Apple and they provided a new one. OrÖyou could redeem the Server code and that would download both (I had a similar problem with DP3, and I found the Server code works).

Nevermind the download was available in the "purchased" section of the store, gonna try this to see if it works.

erpetao
Jul 1, 2011, 01:33 PM
Golden Master, not Grand Master

Oops. Well grand master is used in chess and martial arts as well.

macmongral
Jul 1, 2011, 01:33 PM
well if that DL was a taste of thing to come we are going to suffer

peaks of 12 mb/s followed by long periods at dial up speed

and that with devs only not the world :eek::eek::eek::eek:

ResPublica
Jul 1, 2011, 01:34 PM
Is it (almost) certain that this is the final version or is that just probable?

sclawis300
Jul 1, 2011, 01:35 PM
I don't get it.

He called the GM a grand master.

iFanaddic
Jul 1, 2011, 01:36 PM
I loved Front Row... but I realize now I donít use it much. Because what I really loved was the remote itself, and that works with iTunes, QT player, Keynote, photo slideshows, EyeTV, Hulu (standalone), you name it. Even ControllerMate so I can customize it.

So although Iíve lost the ability to launch the media interface FROM the remote (unless possibly I work some ControllerMate voodoo), once itís up I still have my Front Row-style control.

And I usually have a bluetooth mouse by the couch anyway, for scrubbing and launching apps. Or I just use iTeleport on my iPhone as a thumb-trackpad. Then, once the music/movie/whatever is up, I just use the remote to pause/skip and control volume.

I loved having movie trailers one click away, now I have to go on apple.com.

lfc
Jul 1, 2011, 01:36 PM
Which reminded me . . . i haven't really checked out all the features. I'm quite impressed if this is what it's going to be:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

Same, I've found myself needing something like what iCloud offers more and more lately

Is it (almost) certain that this is the final version or is that just probable?

Most likely this will be the final version. Only rarely theres a need for a second GM

iFanaddic
Jul 1, 2011, 01:38 PM
Removed stupid question

islanders
Jul 1, 2011, 01:39 PM
Would next week be too soon for Lion to be shipped with MBA?

ResPublica
I suppose that means they'll release it next tuesday (5th).

bugout
Ok.. Fully installed and running perfect over DP4.. :)

First vid after reboot is showing how the scrolling goes in the opposite direction now..

MacBookPro13"
Jul 1, 2011, 01:40 PM
If there are no major bugs in this GM, will the 10.7.0 final build seeded to customers be the exact same build as the GM?

bugout
back & forth swiping still doesn't work in chrome :(

islanders
I suppose that means they'll release it next tuesday (6th).

That would be the 5th. :)

atMac
Jul 1, 2011, 01:41 PM
If there are no major bugs in this GM, will the 10.7.0 final build seeded to developers be the exact same build as the GM?

Golden Master by definition is the final build unless a HUGE bug is some how missed.

fat jez
Jul 1, 2011, 01:42 PM
I suppose that means they'll release it next tuesday (6th).

That would be a first, as the last three releases have been on a Friday

dustinsc
Jul 1, 2011, 01:43 PM

Is Front Row a stand-alone app? Because if it is you might be able to get it to work on Lion. Has anyone tried?

ResPublica
Jul 1, 2011, 01:45 PM
That would be a first, as the last three releases have been on a Friday
Is there really a "Mac OS X release day" tradition?
Actually they can kind of release it any day they want now, because there are no issues with production and shipping.

PatrickCocoa
Jul 1, 2011, 01:45 PM
Golden Master by definition is the final build unless a HUGE bug is some how missed.

Golden Master means whatever Steve wants it to mean. Apple has put out multiple GMs more than once, the last time was earlier this year when Xcode 4.0 (or was it 4.1?) had a GM, then GM update, then GM update 2 or something like that.

Brammy
Jul 1, 2011, 01:46 PM
It's different this time. It should be shorter. There is no need to copy the DVDs, print the boxes, ship the boxes, prepare an event at the Apple store, etc. Lion can be released minutes after it's finished. I'm sure this is one reason why Apple chose the MacStore distribution method.

True, but iOS 5 had about a 2-week time between GM and release, however, that was also waiting on new hardware, too, I think.

fat jez
Jul 1, 2011, 01:47 PM
Is there really a "Mac OS X release day" tradition?
Actually they can kind of release it any day they want now, because there are no issues with production and shipping.

Dunno, I didn't go back through all the release dates, but it looked as though all the releases had been on the last Friday of the month. Certainly Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard were.

nicroma
Jul 1, 2011, 01:48 PM
True, but iOS 5 had about a 2-week time between GM and release, however, that was also waiting on new hardware, too, I think.

I think you mean iOS 4.

Brammy
Jul 1, 2011, 01:49 PM
I think you mean iOS 4.

Yep. Totally have new stuff on the brain.

Chairman Plow
Jul 1, 2011, 01:51 PM
Will test this myself as soon as I get home. :D

lfc
Jul 1, 2011, 01:52 PM
OT but whats with the random trolls down voting every post

*waits for this post to get down voted*

Bubba Satori
Jul 1, 2011, 01:54 PM

Well, there's always Snow Lion to look forward to.

ComanWilson
Jul 1, 2011, 01:56 PM
Are Mac OS X GM available for non devs to download and install like IOS GMs?

N10248
Jul 1, 2011, 01:57 PM
I'll be downloading on day one but not installing for a while, there's still 1 PPC application I use and have yet to find a replacement for.

Plus I need to make sure that PS & DW CS5 work properly, can anyone confirm if there are any problems with them on Lion?.

digiguy23
Jul 1, 2011, 01:58 PM
Since it's already labeled it GM and Apple did not give a specific date in July. They can release it anytime by putting it on the download server. Why sit on it for weeks.

BlackMangoTree
Jul 1, 2011, 01:59 PM
They must of worked like demons to get all the bugs out or this is going to be on very buggy release.

MacBookPro13"
Jul 1, 2011, 01:59 PM

That's me.

Been doing it the past couple of pages.

glenncal
Jul 1, 2011, 02:00 PM
9to5Mac are saying it'll be released on July 14th ****************fb/jLpNx

sclawis300
Jul 1, 2011, 02:00 PM

I went back and looked and there are only a handful of posts that have negative ratings, and they all seem reasonable save one or two. Who gives "Roar" with a smiley face a negative rating????

Jason S.
Jul 1, 2011, 02:01 PM
Since it's already labeled it GM and Apple did not give a specific date in July. They can release it anytime by putting it on the download server. Why sit on it for weeks.

To give developers time to make sure their apps are working properly with the latest build that will potentially be the same release that the general public receives. The purpose of releasing the GM build ahead of a public launch.

MacBookPro13"
Jul 1, 2011, 02:02 PM

That's a load of rubbish. It could be any day now.

lfc
Jul 1, 2011, 02:03 PM
That's me.

Been doing it the past couple of pages.

I went back and looked and there are only a handful of posts that have negative ratings, and they all seem reasonable save one or two. Who gives "Roar" with a smiley face a negative rating????

I went through and up voted them all ;)

Brammy
Jul 1, 2011, 02:03 PM
That's a load of rubbish. It could be any day now.

Yeah, on the one hand it could be tied into the Air release. On the other hand, it could be like iOS and released before new hardware.

atMac
Jul 1, 2011, 02:04 PM
Golden Master means whatever Steve wants it to mean. Apple has put out multiple GMs more than once, the last time was earlier this year when Xcode 4.0 (or was it 4.1?) had a GM, then GM update, then GM update 2 or something like that.

And that implies what I said, that major bugs were found late in the release.

Golden Master: In hardware and software development, a golden master is the reference model from which copies are mass-produced. - wikipedia

Steve can say what ever he wants, it just means he doesn't know how to use proper terms.

digiguy23
Jul 1, 2011, 02:04 PM
To give developers time to make sure their apps are working properly with the latest build that will potentially be the same release that the general public receives. The purpose of releasing the GM build ahead of a public launch.

Technically, I know, but then it wouldn't be called a GM would it? Just saying..:)

G4DP
Jul 1, 2011, 02:06 PM
9to5 seem to be mistaken.

How can Apple be shipping anything. It has no physical media. There is nothing to ship.

There is no need to delay the release beyond next week. Unless the developers find a major balls up somewhere.

MacBookPro13"
Jul 1, 2011, 02:08 PM
No doubt the GM has been tested internally already and all Apple are waiting for now is the dev's to check for bugs and if nothing major is found then it will be ready for release and the big thing with Lion is that as soon as it's ready, we will be able to get hold of it as it doesn't need to be put on a disk and shipped around the world.

Brammy
Jul 1, 2011, 02:10 PM
No doubt the GM has been tested internally already and all Apple are waiting for now is the dev's to check for bugs and if nothing major is found then it will be ready for release and the big thing with Lion is that as soon as it's ready, we will be able to get hold of it as it doesn't need to be put on a disk and shipped around the world.

True, but even iOS major releases have had a roughly two week period from GM to release.

JPyre
Jul 1, 2011, 02:12 PM
Can anyone tell me if Server has DNS and NetBoot?

dp4 didnt have either, no netboot would really piss me off, although it can be done through terminal supposedly...?

islanders
Jul 1, 2011, 02:12 PM
With the MB and MBA supplies depleted Lion will be made available ASAP. I 'm just wondered the soonest that could be, one week, two weeks? :apple:

sclawis300
Jul 1, 2011, 02:13 PM
True, but even iOS major releases have had a roughly two week period from GM to release.

not to mention the whole rumor about holding back the MBAs. If that is true then the GM has to be installed on all those bad boys, and on all other computers for that matter. Would look pretty bad if you could download Lion but they were still selling imacs with SL on them. I guess they could just delay the shipping on them for a day or two to get them all loaded.

Jason S.
Technically, I know, but then it wouldn't be called a GM would it? Just saying..:)
Well, testing the operating system is part of it, and it may well be that the actual OS is stable enough for a public release at this point. But what I mean is, developers of apps need time to test that their own applications are working fine. Bugs in these apps aren't necessarily bugs with the operating system as a whole.

ovrlrd

How can Apple be shipping anything. It has no physical media. There is nothing to ship.

There is no need to delay the release beyond next week. Unless the developers find a major balls up somewhere.

Sure there is a good reason, new MacBook Airs (preloaded with Lion) have to ship to retailers before they can release Lion, that takes about a week to get out there, so there is still a chance it might be beyond a week before Lion comes out.

Brammy
Jul 1, 2011, 02:15 PM
not to mention the whole rumor about holding back the MBAs. If that is true then the GM has to be installed on all those bad boys, and on all other computers for that matter. Would look pretty bad if you could download Lion but they were still selling imacs with SL on them. I guess they could just delay the shipping on them for a day or two to get them all loaded.

There's always a lag period when inventory has the old OS on it, I think. They used to just toss an new OS disc in the box. No clue how they are going to do it now.

Nielsenius
Jul 1, 2011, 02:15 PM
Golden Master: In hardware and software development, a golden master is the reference model from which copies are mass-produced. - wikipedia

Steve can say what ever he wants, it just means he doesn't know how to use proper terms.
Yeah, you told him! Get it right, Steve!

shanmugam
Jul 1, 2011, 02:16 PM
I remember there was heck of a problem with NTFS and FAT32 files system in Snow Leopard which got fixed after several months.

very scary to try the 10.X.0 version.

anyone?

shanmugam
Jul 1, 2011, 02:17 PM
There's always a lag period when inventory has the old OS on it, I think. They used to just toss an new OS disc in the box. No clue how they are going to do it now.

provide a download code to down the lion from Mac App Store?

Xtremehkr
Jul 1, 2011, 02:19 PM
I hope it's released on Tuesday, it's looks like it's going to make navigating applications much easier.

With full screen application format it's kind of the reverse of 'multi tasking,' but 'multi tasking' wasn't that great anyway. It turns out that people are most productive when they pay attention to one thing at a time.

I have so many so many questions about how things are going to work without a disk, especially since I was at an Apple store last night getting the hdd on my iMac uncorrupted. I lost the original install disk and the i7 Macs have a very specific build for OSX (according to the Genius Bar people). I had ordered a new install disk ($16) but they sent me the version for a core duo build.

That led me to wonder how minor problems like that will be addressed in the future as there is no install disk to use. The Apple Store employees claimed to have been told very very little about Lion so far, which could mean they know and aren't telling or that they really don't know until the release.

Either way, it will be interesting to see what Apple has done to get around these issues.

neal.young
Jul 1, 2011, 02:19 PM
Has anyone else tried making a bootable USB drive from the InstallESD.dmg file? I restored a flash drive using this file, and when I booted from it, Lion said it needed to connect to the internet. When I connected, and tried to continue, it said that an error had occurred with the installation, and wouldn't continue. Anybody have any ideas on how to do a clean install with this?

milo
Jul 1, 2011, 02:25 PM

I assume he means a simple way that average consumers can do, not just mac experts.

It should be more like "CLICK HERE TO CREATE A BOOTABLE DISK".

This.

Heck, what doesn't break Pro Tools?

Stok3
Jul 1, 2011, 02:26 PM

whats the hurry? i prefer a solid release over a rushed and buggy experience.:cool:

phpmaven
Jul 1, 2011, 02:26 PM
Well, I'm sad to report that the 2 finger swipe STILL does not work in Safari. They broke it in DP4 and I am astounded that it hasn't been fixed in the GM. I hope there will be a fix soon.

My Bad, I had it disabled because it wasn't working. I was using Better Touch Tool as a workaround. Either that, or it's disabled by default. It seems to be working now. I hope it works consistently.

JPyre
Jul 1, 2011, 02:28 PM
Anybody have any ideas on how to do a clean install with this?

Did you format the HDD with disk util? Its been my experience that you CAN'T reinstall or upgrade without that internet error.

KPOM
Jul 1, 2011, 02:28 PM
"Update 2: 9 to 5 Mac is reiterating its earlier claim that Lion is tentatively scheduled to launch on Thursday, June 14th, potentially alongside the updated MacBook Air."

I'm assuming you mean "July" 14th. :)

Supa_Fly
Jul 1, 2011, 02:29 PM
Update 2: 9 to 5 Mac is reiterating its earlier claim that Lion is tentatively scheduled to launch on Thursday, June 14th, potentially alongside the updated MacBook Air. by Jordon Golson

^ June 14th has LONG passed and I doubt that was the original release date. Its supposed to be in July, not June.

Today is Canada Day - our independence July 1st.

ZacNicholson
Jul 1, 2011, 02:30 PM
No, it won't :(. Waiting for ***** :D.

me to lol

*LTD*
Jul 1, 2011, 02:30 PM
you could already make bootable disks from day one. Kthnxnbye

This is true.

jjhny
Jul 1, 2011, 02:31 PM
Hmmm, anyone have an idea how we are going to do a clean install if it comes through the store?

Floris
Jul 1, 2011, 02:32 PM
Update 2: 9 to 5 Mac is reiterating its earlier claim that Lion is tentatively scheduled to launch on Thursday, June 14th, potentially alongside the updated MacBook Air.

June 14th, ehhhh 2012 ? ..

Jelite
Jul 1, 2011, 02:35 PM

BOOO!! I was hoping it would release next Tuesday or Wednesday.

cjordan230
Jul 1, 2011, 02:35 PM
Can you do a clean install or can we update Snow Leopard now?

Schizoid
Jul 1, 2011, 02:36 PM

dp4 didnt have either, no netboot would really piss me off, although it can be done through terminal supposedly...?

Yep

atMac
Jul 1, 2011, 02:37 PM
Well, I'm sad to report that the 2 finger swipe STILL does not work in Safari. They broke it in DP4 and I am astounded that it hasn't been fixed in the GM. I hope there will be a fix soon.

My Bad, I had it disabled because it wasn't working. I was using Better Touch Tool as a workaround. Either that, or it's disabled by default. It seems to be working now. I hope it works consistently.

2 fingers swiping is working for me. What feature are you speaking of? 2 fingers makes my Safari go back a page or forwards a page.

pickleops
Jul 1, 2011, 02:37 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Since Lion is distributed exclusively over the Internet, the phrase "Golden Master" is no longer applicable. This should be called "Release Candidate". Further, past GMs have been changed before release - which violate its defining principle, namely, finality. Digital distribution fluidly moves from one version to the next, the importance of having an immaculate prime from which to press millions of discs has evaporated.

Stok3
Jul 1, 2011, 02:39 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Since Lion is distributes exclusively over the Internet, the phrase "Golden Master" is no longer applicable. This should be called "Release Candidate". Further, past GMs have been changed before release - which violate the defining principle, namely, finality. Digital distribution fluidly moves from one version to its next, the importance if having an immaculate prime from which to press millions of discs gas evaporated.

if Steve says its GM then its the GM :D

wizard
Jul 1, 2011, 02:40 PM
I will probably get it the first day I can get access to a high speed network. I don't consider my self an early adopter, but this is one very compelling release if you ask me. Well worth a little pain early in the "public debug cycle".

A public release is ALWAYS a larger-scale test than any internal or beta testing could ever be. That means it will find issues. Big ones? Probably not, for most people. If youíre an early adopter, youíll probably be just fine. Probably.

But by waiting I improve my odds. Itís not an Apple thing; with any brand (even cars) Iíd wait and let other people be the guinea pigs, if the product is as important to me as my computer.

(And certain third-party games/apps may need a Lion update; I donít want to lose those for a time because I rushed to install.)

Pentad
Does anyone know if its a .DMG file? or Installer?

Actually, it's going to be a .RoAR file...

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all weekend!

djrod

It's one swipe now

Schizoid
Jul 1, 2011, 02:41 PM
Can you do a clean install or can we update Snow Leopard now?

You can pull out the installESD.dmg and burn that to some device like an external drive or USB stick.
I tried it on a DVD seemed to take ages to start though.

But you can install it onto a clean drive...

t0mat0
Jul 1, 2011, 02:42 PM

Agreed - but they also have the issue of getting that Lion version onto the Macs they want to sell soon. Would create some delay if they want to have the Macs be delivered at the same time.

cjordan230
Jul 1, 2011, 02:42 PM
You can pull out the installESD.dmg and burn that to some device like an external drive or USB stick.
I tried it on a DVD seemed to take ages to start though.

But you can install it onto a clean drive...

Good stuff... want to see how it is to have a clean drive and not snow leopard on a partition

atMac
Jul 1, 2011, 02:43 PM

Since Lion is distributes exclusively over the Internet, the phrase "Golden Master" is no longer applicable. This should be called "Release Candidate". Further, past GMs have been changed before release - which violate its defining principle, namely, finality. Digital distribution fluidly moves from one version to its next, the importance of having an immaculate prime from which to press millions of discs gas evaporated.

No it hasn't. It just now means the GM is the version that has been tested and pushed to servers. GM for software is a way of saying, "we think we got everything and that it's perfect enough for public use."

Release Candidate means, "we want you to do some more checking, we think we think we got it all, but we want you to double check our work."

If anything I guess the term Golden Master should be changed to Golden Release.

NutsNGum
Jul 1, 2011, 02:45 PM
Golden Master sounds like some sort of Chinese Restaurant.

islanders
Jul 1, 2011, 02:46 PM

Lets hope they use the new t-bolt to load Lion and not the USB 2.0 or it might be next month. :p

Schizoid
Jul 1, 2011, 02:47 PM

Actually, Lion has just been released as a "Happy Gathering"

Dark Void
Jul 1, 2011, 02:49 PM
personally i will be using SL still but for those who are upgrading to lion: i hope you guys get the option to create a bootable dvd.

buckers
Jul 1, 2011, 02:52 PM
Anyone know of the changes they've made yet?

Bye Bye Baby
Jul 1, 2011, 02:56 PM
Yes- Lion needs a boot and install action. Thunderbolt or usb stick or something else.

But I want a clean install.

Carlson-online

On first boot on my MBP I was prompted with a guide on how to 2 finger scroll!

Other than that, can't see anything else different.

Coda still doesnt work - hopefully panic will push their update soon!

the8thark
Easy. You'll get a code with your Mac you use with the Up-To-Date thing. And that will allow you to download Lion for free. Well not free, it's included in the cost of the Mac but I'm sure you all get me.

atMac
Jul 1, 2011, 02:58 PM

The graphics error is no longer there on boot. Thats all that I have really noticed so far.

Schizoid
Jul 1, 2011, 02:59 PM
Yes- Lion needs a boot and install action. Thunderbolt or usb stick or something else.

But I want a clean install.

Just booting off the installer now, sticking it onto a wiped 2nd drive..

lunarworks
Jul 1, 2011, 03:03 PM
No it hasn't. It just now means the GM is the version that has been tested and pushed to servers. GM for software is a way of saying, "we think we got everything and that it's perfect enough for public use."

Release Candidate means, "we want you to do some more checking, we think we think we got it all, but we want you to double check our work."

If anything I guess the term Golden Master should be changed to Golden Release.

The Microsoftian term you're looking for is RTM, or "Release To Manufacturing".

They still use that term, even for digital-only releases like Internet Explorer.

the8thark
Jul 1, 2011, 03:04 PM
Well since no one makes copies onto media from a mold or template cast in solid gold of anything anymore, the whole GM idea is just an idea these days. Not literally gold like in the old days of the vinyl record.

Having more then 1 GM is very possible (rare though) and does not violate any terminology. It just means both GM's are release candidates. But one is better then the other. Just like you can say Apple GM's on the whole are much better quality then MS's GMs.

I do have to agree "Release Candidate" is much better than GM in this digital world.

tim000
Jul 1, 2011, 03:04 PM
Anyone know how many GBs the GM weighs in at?

Mercellios
Jul 1, 2011, 03:05 PM
The graphics error is no longer there on boot. Thats all that I have really noticed so far.
What graphics error?

BlackMangoTree
Jul 1, 2011, 03:06 PM
Hmmm, anyone have an idea how we are going to do a clean install if it comes through the store?

Doing it all officially you need to install Lion over SL then boot into the Lion recovery partition then erase your HDD re download Lion and install.

Hopefully the official release has a far simpler way.

talmy
Jul 1, 2011, 03:06 PM
Is Front Row a stand-alone app? Because if it is you might be able to get it to work on Lion. Has anyone tried?

I tried it with an early DP and it did not run. I always thought it was doing Voodoo behind the scenes, and apparently it's blocked in Lion.

DP4 has DNS. You just need the Server Admin Tools download to set it up with a GUI rather than terminal. I didn't look for NetBoot.

BlackMangoTree
Jul 1, 2011, 03:07 PM
What graphics error?

Some Macs om boot would display coloured pixels all over the screen.

Schizoid
Jul 1, 2011, 03:09 PM
anyone know how many gbs the gm weighs in at?

3.76gb

dethmaShine
Jul 1, 2011, 03:12 PM
Any new findings guys?

emulator
Jul 1, 2011, 03:12 PM
Come on HOTiSO!

Exactly. No one calls a GM golden master except this site. :D

sclawis300
Jul 1, 2011, 03:13 PM
Easy. You'll get a code with your Mac you use with the Up-To-Date thing. And that will allow you to download Lion for free. Well not free, it's included in the cost of the Mac but I'm sure you all get me.

That would defeat the purpose of holding back the MBAs wouldn't it? Although that assumes the original rumor was true.

atMac
Jul 1, 2011, 03:20 PM
What graphics error?

DP4 had a graphics glitch that would show while the system was booting. It was a knowns but and was mentioned in the release note. it has been fixed though.

petvas
Jul 1, 2011, 03:23 PM
I am so excited!
I am installing it now

phpmaven
Jul 1, 2011, 03:23 PM
It's one swipe now

Huh?

Schizoid
Jul 1, 2011, 03:25 PM
For those interested...

Did a clean install onto a formatted drive (had to boot from another drive of course)

Install time A LOT quicker than other builds

No setup assistant movie

rather "snappy". Ahem

atMac
Jul 1, 2011, 03:26 PM
No setup assistant movie

Yeah, I was kind of let down that there was no movie this time.

tsmith
Jul 1, 2011, 03:27 PM
if i were to install this GM, does anyone know if it would upgrade to the final release when it comes out? I know dp4 wont, but if the GM is updatable to the final version, people who want to do a clean install can do it with the release of GM and just use software update when the final come out and be on with their merry lives.

grazi

srxtr
Jul 1, 2011, 03:28 PM
Orgasm incoming

Chairman Plow
Jul 1, 2011, 03:33 PM
*Patiently waits.......*

phluid
Jul 1, 2011, 03:34 PM
Just a heads up to everyone who's thinking of installing the GM seed over SL:
Something weird happened to me.
I had previously installed DP4 on my Macbook 13", over SL (upgrade), everything went fine.

Today I decided to install the GM seed on my iMac 27", again, over SL.
Guess what...? It installed fined, rebooted, got to the login screen, but there were no users available to pick from. I rebooted again, and now I get a badge with "Other..." instead of my user. If I click it, it asks me for a username + password, but I simply can't login, no matter what I try.
This sucks.

Anyone else experiencing this or had a similar experience with the previous developer previews?

rorschach
Jul 1, 2011, 03:34 PM
if i were to install this GM, does anyone know if it would upgrade to the final release when it comes out? I know dp4 wont, but if the GM is updatable to the final version, people who want to do a clean install can do it with the release of GM and just use software update when the final come out and be on with their merry lives.

grazi

The GM is the final release. This is the build that will be released on the Mac App Store. Developers get it earlier than the public does because they obviously have to test their apps on this new build before it is released.

The only reason it wouldn't be is if there was some show-stopping bug. And the only instance I can remember where there was two GM builds was iOS 4.2. The first 4.2 GM build had a bug in the iPad version where it wouldn't connect to WiFi networks, so Apple released a 2nd GM build.

chrfr
Jul 1, 2011, 03:35 PM
Doing it all officially you need to install Lion over SL then boot into the Lion recovery partition then erase your HDD re download Lion and install.

Hopefully the official release has a far simpler way.
This is a Gold Master seed which means that it is the final release, barring any major bugs. Functionality such as the installation process will not change.

pmz
Jul 1, 2011, 03:37 PM
So far I have not seen any significant bugs. Running great.

iCal has some bugs: UI buttons unresponsive, Reminders undeletable. Show/Hide functions buggy.

James Enright
Jul 1, 2011, 03:39 PM
So then, who's willing to put there money where there mouth is and confidently bet on when Lion will be released;)

petvas
Jul 1, 2011, 03:42 PM
Here is the first screen you see after upgrading to Lion:

AnonMac50
Jul 1, 2011, 03:43 PM

I have, works perfectly. I even downloaded the arabic language pack for Snow Leopard and used those files in Front Row on Lion (which has Arabic for the interface there by default, unlike Snow Leopard). Also works perfectly.

munkery
Jul 1, 2011, 03:44 PM

When I heard FrontRow was being retired, I went looking for a replacement.

I found XBMC a more than capable replacement.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/28851/xbmc

I tried other media center apps (most of which are based on XBMC's source code) but require registration, are not as user friendly, and/or include a server component that runs by default even when unneeded.

petvas
Jul 1, 2011, 03:46 PM
About this Mac:

dlimes13
Jul 1, 2011, 03:48 PM
About this Mac:

If it was indeed the final, wouldn't it say "Version 10.7" or "10.7.0" and not the build?

I know you can click it to reveal the serial number and actual build, so it the build there by default? If so, it needs to be fixed to 10.7 by default.

djrod
Jul 1, 2011, 03:48 PM
Just a heads up to everyone who's thinking of installing the GM seed over SL:
Something weird happened to me.
I had previously installed DP4 on my Macbook 13", over SL (upgrade), everything went fine.

Today I decided to install the GM seed on my iMac 27", again, over SL.
Guess what...? It installed fined, rebooted, got to the login screen, but there were no users available to pick from. I rebooted again, and now I get a badge with "Other..." instead of my user. If I click it, it asks me for a username + password, but I simply can't login, no matter what I try.
This sucks.

Anyone else experiencing this or had a similar experience with the previous developer previews?

I had the same issue with every DP.

Jason S.
Jul 1, 2011, 03:50 PM
If it was indeed the final, wouldn't it say "Version 10.7" or "10.7.0" and not the build?

Clicking on that text alternates between the version number, build number, and serial number of your Mac.

Schizoid

It says 10.7, but you can click to see the build, serial number...

petvas

I know you can click it to reveal the serial number and actual build, so it the build there by default? If so, it needs to be fixed to 10.7 by default.

It does. When you click on 10.7 it reverts to the build number. It has always been like that.

dagamer34
Jul 1, 2011, 03:51 PM

I think he wanted to show that he had the GM build installed.

talmy
Jul 1, 2011, 03:51 PM
if i were to install this GM, does anyone know if it would upgrade to the final release when it comes out?

Nobody has the final release to answer that question. But to quote Apple, "Install this pre-release version of Mac OS X on a dedicated partition or on a system used solely for creating and testing apps for Mac OS X Lion." So there is certainly no guarantee that it will be upgradable.

Here is the first screen you see after upgrading to Lion:

I hope not. I don't know German. :)

petvas
Jul 1, 2011, 03:55 PM
Nobody has the final release to answer that question. But to quote Apple, "Install this pre-release version of Mac OS X on a dedicated partition or on a system used solely for creating and testing apps for Mac OS X Lion." So there is certainly no guarantee that it will be upgradable.

I hope not. I don't know German. :)
:)
You will get english :)

I changed the language to english to show you the new trackpad options. Help text and videos are there and there is no coming soon message, as it was the case with the latest developer previews:

phluid
Jul 1, 2011, 03:56 PM
I had the same issue with every DP.

How did you fix it?

petvas
Jul 1, 2011, 04:00 PM
Final Cut Pro X doesn't play that great with Lion.
It works but when I right click on the dock icon I get this:

djrod
Jul 1, 2011, 04:01 PM
How did you fix it?

Installing snow leopard:p

pmau
Jul 1, 2011, 04:03 PM
Yes !!! Never change the batteries again !!! :)
They did not manage to fix that ???
How stupid can it get

djrod
Jul 1, 2011, 04:03 PM
Final Cut Pro X doesn't play that great with Lion.
It works but when I right click on the dock icon I get this:

Last week I had 60 RSS entries to read and I was overwhelmed, I can't imagine having 355!

codewrangler
Jul 1, 2011, 04:05 PM

Try Boxee. It does basically the same thing, but is more feature rich...and it's a free download...

http://www.boxee.tv/

Jerome Morrow
Jul 1, 2011, 04:18 PM
The storm is coming ...

CyBeRino
Jul 1, 2011, 04:18 PM

You don't suppose he may have clicked it before making the screen shot, hmm?

Bokito
Jul 1, 2011, 04:25 PM
Setting the scroll direction is new isn't it?

I've seen many complaints about it being reversed and be iDevice-like but now you can actually set the option, great!

cmaier
Jul 1, 2011, 04:26 PM
Setting the scroll direction is new isn't it?

I've seen many complaints about it being reversed and be iDevice-like but now you can actually set the option, great!

not new

cloakedpegasus
Jul 1, 2011, 04:31 PM
As much as I'm excited to upgrade to something new, I would rather stay with something stable for the meantime. Tried and tested Snow Leopard ftw.

Tutorer
Jul 1, 2011, 04:32 PM
Can someone report the md5 for the InstallESD.dmg inside the install app for future reference?

Thanks!

EricBrian
Jul 1, 2011, 04:34 PM
They must of worked like demons to get all the bugs out or this is going to be on very buggy release.

Ain't that the truth!

Kyle4
Jul 1, 2011, 04:38 PM
Yes !!! Never change the batteries again !!! :)
They did not manage to fix that ???
How stupid can it get

Snow Leopard has been doing that to me too. I have the iStat widget installed so all is good.

I wasn't planning on upgrading to Lion upon release but now I'm hyped. This will probably be a day one for me.

thankins
Jul 1, 2011, 04:50 PM
Can someone report the md5 for the InstallESD.dmg inside the install app for future reference?

Thanks!

Here you go

MD5(/Applications/Install Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg)= b5d3753c62bfb69866e94dca9336a44a

Zanneth
Jul 1, 2011, 04:51 PM

Thanks!

b5d3753c62bfb69866e94dca9336a44a

:)

MacBookPro13"
Jul 1, 2011, 04:55 PM
Can the GM be updated to 10.7.0 & 10.7.1 etc?

Basically can the Dev's install the Lion GM and continue to use it when the official release is out and install updates like normal or will they have to re-install the final version for retail again?

thankins
Jul 1, 2011, 04:57 PM

Basically can the Dev's install the Lion GM and continue to use it when the official release is out and install updates like normal or will they have to re-install the final version for retail again?

In the past GM has had the same MD5 as retail so you could update

Phil A.
Jul 1, 2011, 05:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

As others have said, barring any major issues the GM seed is exactly the same as the retail release will be: there's no distinction

JohnDoe98
Jul 1, 2011, 05:07 PM
As others have said, barring any major issues the GM seed is exactly the same as the retail release will be: there's no distinction

But if you do the dev route it won't show up as purchased in the MAS will it? Won't that mean you can't automatically download it to other computers you have? You'll have to make a external disc with Lion on it right?

Thunderbird
Jul 1, 2011, 05:12 PM
I found a major bug on Lion...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f309/hadza/4.jpg

Oh wait, he licked it off....never mind.

RichardBeer
Jul 1, 2011, 05:15 PM
Is there any news on the status of OpenGL 3 support?

ECUpirate44
Jul 1, 2011, 05:20 PM
Ok.. Fully installed and running perfect over DP4.. :)

First vid after reboot is showing how the scrolling goes in the opposite direction now..

The first thing I will do after I install is change that setting :rolleyes:

petvas
Jul 1, 2011, 05:23 PM
So for those of you that may be asking if we can still make a bootable DVD, the answer is yes:

ovrlrd
Jul 1, 2011, 05:38 PM
Is there any news on the status of OpenGL 3 support?

Yes there is, check out this quote from another thread:

It is...kind of. In Lion, there are two separate and parallel sets of OpenGL pipelines--one is the same as Snow Leo (OGL 2.1 + benefits), the other is known as the "forward context API" and that is full, honest OGL3.2. So in order to use OpenGL 3.0-level functions, apps will have to be recompiled for 10.7 only (because Lion uses its own version of XCode).

joelovesapple
Jul 1, 2011, 05:58 PM
This is great news... getting really excited now! I just wish though, like Linux, that there was a tabbed Finder...

fat jez
Jul 1, 2011, 06:00 PM
I just wish though, like Linux, that there was a tabbed Finder...

Seems a weird feature to be missing, given you have tabs in Terminal.

phluid
Jul 1, 2011, 06:01 PM
This is great news... getting really excited now! I just wish though, like Linux, that there was a tabbed Finder...

Well, I've been using TotalFinder for about a year now, and love it.
http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/

PeterHolbrook
Jul 1, 2011, 06:10 PM
I have, works perfectly. I even downloaded the arabic language pack for Snow Leopard and used those files in Front Row on Lion (which has Arabic for the interface there by default, unlike Snow Leopard). Also works perfectly.

Can you provide step-by-step instructions as to how manually to install Snow Leopard Front Row in Mac OS X Lion? In other words, apart from the application itself, what else needs to be copied? Preferences? Frameworks? Keyboard shortcuts?

*LTD*
Jul 1, 2011, 06:18 PM
If I'm running Lion DP4, what are the major palpable differences (if any) between that and this GM seed?

tigress666
Jul 1, 2011, 06:28 PM

A public release is ALWAYS a larger-scale test than any internal or beta testing could ever be. That means it will find issues. Big ones? Probably not, for most people. If youíre an early adopter, youíll probably be just fine. Probably.

But by waiting I improve my odds. Itís not an Apple thing; with any brand (even cars) Iíd wait and let other people be the guinea pigs, if the product is as important to me as my computer.

(And certain third-party games/apps may need a Lion update; I donít want to lose those for a time because I rushed to install.)

Heh, I have a better solution. I'll install it on my previous laptop that I kept around and occasionally still is useful. Then I can play with it and see how I like it and then decide to put it on mine if I do.

sine-nomine
Jul 1, 2011, 06:36 PM
Try Boxee...http://www.boxee.tv/

I've tried Boxee, Plex, and XBMC and didn't like any of them as well as Front Row.

Azadre
Jul 1, 2011, 07:09 PM
I begin my Mac career with the release of 10.4 It truly was a generation ahead of XP. I preordered 10.5 and even bought the time machine harddrive. I preordered 10.6 for the low price of $30. I've owned 7 different Macs during that time. But with the release of 10.7, I've decided to return to Windows.

10.7 represents a loss of a lot of features that initially made me fall in love with the Mac: iSync, Front Row, etc. But they're going the way of the dodo. And with that I try out windows 7.

Aussie John
Jul 1, 2011, 07:13 PM
I begin my Mac career with the release of 10.4 It truly was a generation ahead of XP. I preordered 10.5 and even bought the time machine harddrive. I preordered 10.6 for the low price of $30. I've owned 7 different Macs during that time. But with the release of 10.7, I've decided to return to Windows.

10.7 represents a loss of a lot of features that initially made me fall in love with the Mac: iSync, Front Row, etc. But they're going the way of the dodo. And with that I try out windows 7.

Yes the versions of iSync and front row are excellent in windows 7

*LTD*
Jul 1, 2011, 07:15 PM

iSync, Front Row, etc., were never major selling points. What are the major showstoppers for you? If anything, Lion is a vast improvement in usability, plus iCloud, etc.

Jasoco
Jul 1, 2011, 07:15 PM
Try Boxee. It does basically the same thing, but is more feature rich...and it's a free download...

http://www.boxee.tv/

I'll second this but instead recommend Plex/Nine. It's much better. And the companion iOS app is amazing.

www.plexapp.com

atMac
Jul 1, 2011, 07:17 PM

10.4 made my life a living hell supporting it in a network at my company. For me 10.5 was when OS X was finally better quality than even Windows 2000.

slrandall
Jul 1, 2011, 07:26 PM
Especially for Versions/AutoSave and MissionControl with much better Spaces. And I can't wait for those scrollbars to be gone. Never really noticed until Apple made it a point to get rid of them, but they really do look odd just sitting there.

Kahnyl
Jul 1, 2011, 07:30 PM
If I'm running Lion DP4, what are the major palpable differences (if any) between that and this GM seed?

It feels just as stable as Snow Leopard now (to me anyway). The previous build was buggy and slow.

That and a different Mission Control icon.:p

*LTD*
Jul 1, 2011, 07:41 PM
It feels just as stable as Snow Leopard now (to me anyway). The previous build was buggy and slow.

That and a different Mission Control icon.:p

Thank you.

Do fullscreen apps still get their own area off to the side of the virtual desktops?

I'm totally getting used to the new Mission Control/Exposť. I must admit, though, the placement of fullscreen apps threw me for a bit of a loop at first. :o

bogg
Jul 1, 2011, 07:56 PM
As soon as Lion has it's public release I'm ordering a 27" iMac w. the 3.4GHz i7... but not sooner than that.

I'm still using my August 2007 24" iMac C2D 2.4GHz... time for an upgrade.

RamGuy
Jul 1, 2011, 08:38 PM
Ugh!

When the Gold Master version of Mac OS X Lion don't manage to boot up the installation on a MacBook Pro 17" 2011 running hard drives in RAID0, does this mean Apple have actually forgotten to include support for installation on RAID-volumes?

Stella
Jul 1, 2011, 08:51 PM
Ugh.. no iSync.. no longer able to sync my phone.

I'll be staying on Snow Leopard for a while.

Lion looks more and more unappealing. OSX with the infection of iOS :-(

Chairman Plow
Jul 1, 2011, 08:58 PM
*Wondering if Pro Tools 9 is still broken in the Lion GM.*

(d/l is slow as ----)

ipodlover77
Jul 1, 2011, 09:41 PM
went through ten pages but no answer. perfectly safe to upgrade to GM from beta 4? no wipe or anything. just upgrading.

FunkyMonkCP
Jul 1, 2011, 09:50 PM
But if you do the dev route it won't show up as purchased in the MAS will it? Won't that mean you can't automatically download it to other computers you have? You'll have to make a external disc with Lion on it right?

Does anybody know the answer to this? I'm wondering as well. If you get it through the dev program will it permanently show up in the mac app store purchased section?