Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stefmesman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Netherlands
this thing is awesome, its the first time capsule i ever owned.

writing from the external disc has speeds around 10-15Mb's (was hoping for something faster but oh well..)

i was able to stream (wireless) an Full HD 20gb file from it through the entire house from an external disc.

backup speeds fluctuate between 20-35Mbs to the internal disc.

range is pretty good to. i have an 120Mb's internet contract.
wirelessly i get an 110Mbs connection when near the router.
moving a 15m (including 2 walls) from it will result in an 90Mbs speeds.

very pleased :)

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
There are no gen 5 Time Capsules. The current/new, 2011, ones are gen 4. The new Airport Extremes are gen 5.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
There are no gen 5 Time Capsules. The current/new, 2011, ones are gen 4. The new Airport Extremes are gen 5.

The misunderstanding is that in early 2009, Apple released 500 GB and 1 TB, but several month later, dropped 500 GB and introduced 2 TB version.

By that definition, the current version should be called 3rd generation also. But since 2 TB version has a different model number (and FCC measurements showing different power output), it's safer to call the new Time Capsule 4th generation.

As for me, I will just wait until iOS 5 and iCloud to see if it brings iCloud caching feature to Time Capsule. Otherwise, I will just get the 5th generation AEBS.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Is that internal HDD speed good enough to host an iTunes library? I had the older 500GB and video was sluggish and accessing even small music files would lag a second or two. Also, how hot does it get?

I just got a Netgear WNDRMAC which works well but I've always preferred Apple airport routers. And like nut AC, I'm hopeful that the iOS 5/Lion will usher in some interesting features. (Like maybe an internal iTunes Server so we don't have to run a computer just to get iTunes on an Apple TV)

stefmesman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Netherlands
Is that internal HDD speed good enough to host an iTunes library? I had the older 500GB and video was sluggish and accessing even small music files would lag a second or two. Also, how hot does it get?

I just got a Netgear WNDRMAC which works well but I've always preferred Apple airport routers. And like nut AC, I'm hopeful that the iOS 5/Lion will usher in some interesting features. (Like maybe an internal iTunes Server so we don't have to run a computer just to get iTunes on an Apple TV)

i can stream an Full HD 110 minute 20Gb file almost instantly from an external. (wait time is around... 1/2 seconds) dont know how i can set up the internal as iTunes host?

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Does drive format affect disk write speeds?

Time Capsule:
Internal HDD: 10-13Mbps
External HDD (HFS): 10-13Mbps
External HDD (FAT32): 3Mbps

Transfer data from USB ext HDD to TC to internal: 500Kbps (huh? Why didnt they put Thunderbolt or FW...)

I was originally going to put my iTunes library on the internal drive but that would take up 1.3TB which makes the remaining space for Time MAchine pretty small and also is pretty risky if theres drive failure. But its currently on a 2TB FAT32 drive and it seems pretty slow on the TC.

Im thinking maybe i should return the TC and just get an Airport Express and use the money saved for another external drive i can format to HFS+

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.