PDA

View Full Version : New STM Kicker iPad2 Case Is Available

Blorzoga
Jul 1, 2011, 06:04 PM
I just heard from STM Bags that their new ipad2 case called Kicker (formerly known as the Codex) is shipping in 3 weeks. Should be nice.

radiogoober
Jul 1, 2011, 06:06 PM
i just heard from stm bags that their new ipad2 case called kicker (formerly known as the codex) is shipping in 3 weeks. Should be nice.

pics!?!?!?!?!?!

Blorzoga
Jul 1, 2011, 06:27 PM
pics!?!?!?!?!?!

None available yet.

drenline
Jul 1, 2011, 08:52 PM
I heard there was a new 24k diamond studded louis vuitton case coming out too soon, sorry no pics either.

mrgossett
Jul 1, 2011, 11:00 PM
Just found this page with some pics and info:

http://support.stmbags.com/Retail%20Support/Spec%20Sheets/Product%20Spec%20Sheets/STM%20kicker_spec_1_1.pdf

nullRX
Jul 1, 2011, 11:38 PM
nice find!

BlindMellon
Jul 2, 2011, 04:09 AM

http://support.stmbags.com/Retail%20Support/Spec%20Sheets/Product%20Spec%20Sheets/STM%20kicker_spec_1_1.pdf
Great find, who's your source? ;)

radiogoober
Jul 2, 2011, 07:04 AM

Holy crap!

This new case is a total win. The skinny was already best case on the market, but people had two small complaints: fraying material and the tab may be loose. This addresses both of them. And damn it looks really good too. Reeeeeeeaaaallllly good.

The question now is: black or mushroom? Or both? :)

Thank you for posting that.

Blorzoga
Jul 2, 2011, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the pics. I've been wondering for months what it'd look like.

mrgossett
Jul 2, 2011, 09:09 AM
My source for the pics/link? His name is Google.

Blorzoga
Jul 2, 2011, 09:13 AM
Go to support.stmbags.com and click on Images>product images>Photos per style name>kicker, there are 13 photos of the new case. It has a plastic kickstand that has two lengths, a shorter one for typing with three positions and a longer one with three positions for viewing. They've done away with the tab so the case stays closed only with the magnets. There are no pictures of the flap folded fully back, but hopefully it will lie flat in that position and maybe even be held back by the magnets.

Sedrick
Jul 2, 2011, 09:19 AM
Go to support.stmdotcom and click on Images>product images>Photos per style name>kicker, there are 13 photos of the new case. It has a plastic kickstand that has two lengths, a shorter one for typing with three positions and a longer one with three positions for viewing. They've done away with the tab so the case stays closed only with the magnets. There are no pictures of the flap folded fully back, but hopefully it will lie flat in that position and maybe even be held back by the magnets.
Sorry, that link should be support.stmbags.com:
http://support.stmbags.com/?cwdRelPath=Images/Product%20Images/Photos%20per%20Style%20Name/kicker/HI%20RES/&view=list
http://support.stmbags.com/Images/Product%20Images/Photos%20per%20Style%20Name/kicker/HI%20RES/DSC_0970_edit.jpg

The only downside I see to this case is the large footprint needed when viewing in the most upright position. Oft times desk space is limited and this would take a lot of room. I do think I'll keep my stm skinny.

Blorzoga
Jul 2, 2011, 09:21 AM
Sorry, that link info is just confusing as hell and doesn't get you the site:
http://support.stmbags.com/?cwdRelPath=Images/Product%20Images/Photos%20per%20Style%20Name/kicker/HI%20RES/&view=list

Touché

radiogoober
Jul 2, 2011, 09:42 AM
http://support.stmbags.com/Images/Product%20Images/Photos%20per%20Style%20Name/kicker/HI%20RES/back_trio.jpg

http://support.stmbags.com/Images/Product%20Images/Photos%20per%20Style%20Name/kicker/HI%20RES/DSC_0951_edit.jpg

http://support.stmbags.com/Images/Product%20Images/Photos%20per%20Style%20Name/kicker/HI%20RES/DSC_0953_edit.jpg

http://support.stmbags.com/Images/Product%20Images/Photos%20per%20Style%20Name/kicker/HI%20RES/DSC_0956_edit.jpg

http://support.stmbags.com/Images/Product%20Images/Photos%20per%20Style%20Name/kicker/HI%20RES/DSC_0970_edit.jpg

http://support.stmbags.com/Images/Product%20Images/Photos%20per%20Style%20Name/kicker/HI%20RES/DSC_0971_edit.jpg

radiogoober
Jul 2, 2011, 09:44 AM
Man, the leather has a very nice kinda vintage look to it. I can't decide between mushroom and black!

STM really did a good job here. I'm freaking impressed man. I wish I could go ahead and pre-order today.

gigaguy
Jul 2, 2011, 09:50 AM
Not a fan of raised top corner tabs, prefer the cleaner full edge trims that many non bezel cover cases now use. And the stand? I like a cleaner, less obtrusive stand. but I guess that's why there are so many choices out there.

Sedrick
Jul 2, 2011, 09:53 AM
Image (http://support.stmbags.com/Images/Product%20Images/Photos%20per%20Style%20Name/kicker/HI%20RES/back_trio.jpg)

Image (http://support.stmbags.com/Images/Product%20Images/Photos%20per%20Style%20Name/kicker/HI%20RES/DSC_0951_edit.jpg)

Image (http://support.stmbags.com/Images/Product%20Images/Photos%20per%20Style%20Name/kicker/HI%20RES/DSC_0953_edit.jpg)

Image (http://support.stmbags.com/Images/Product%20Images/Photos%20per%20Style%20Name/kicker/HI%20RES/DSC_0956_edit.jpg)

Image (http://support.stmbags.com/Images/Product%20Images/Photos%20per%20Style%20Name/kicker/HI%20RES/DSC_0970_edit.jpg)

Image (http://support.stmbags.com/Images/Product%20Images/Photos%20per%20Style%20Name/kicker/HI%20RES/DSC_0971_edit.jpg)
Please edit with [timg] tags (for thumbnails).

radiogoober
Jul 2, 2011, 10:00 AM
Please edit with [timg] tags (for thumbnails).

Thank you*- I did not know the timg tag existed.

Blorzoga
Jul 2, 2011, 10:28 AM
Man, the leather has a very nice kinda vintage look to it. I can't decide between mushroom and black!

STM really did a good job here. I'm freaking impressed man. I wish I could go ahead and pre-order today.

The case is not leather. It Is leather-like. Similar to the "leather" used in most cars. The leather seats in most cars are only partially leather. Usually just the surfaces that you body touches. The balance is synthetic.

jennison
Jul 2, 2011, 05:20 PM
Not a fan of raised top corner tabs, prefer the cleaner full edge trims that many non bezel cover cases now use. And the stand? I like a cleaner, less obtrusive stand. but I guess that's why there are so many choices out there.
Inside those two raised corners are magnets. Holds the case shut without the flap. The on/off magnet is separate inside the lid further down.

Blorzoga
Jul 2, 2011, 05:41 PM
Inside those two raised corners are magnets. Holds the case shut without the flap. The on/off magnet is separate inside the lid further down.

This

Yumunum
Jul 2, 2011, 05:46 PM
I have and love the STM Skinny case, but if you really examine this new case it may not seem practical.. (I know it doesn't for me) Look at the "kickstand", there's two functions that look like a pain to use.

Blorzoga
Jul 2, 2011, 08:34 PM
I have and love the STM Skinny case, but if you really examine this new case it may not seem practical.. (I know it doesn't for me) Look at the "kickstand", there's two functions that look like a pain to use.

I disagree. The case is still slim, doesn't cover the bezel, works as a smart cover and eliminates the one thing that most complained about: the tab. The kickstand can be used or just left folded down and the case just functions as a folio case. Seems perfect in my opinion. And I have received confirmation that when the cover is folded all the way back, it will sit flat.

radiogoober
Jul 3, 2011, 08:11 AM
I disagree. The case is still slim, doesn't cover the bezel, works as a smart cover and eliminates the one thing that most complained about: the tab. The kickstand can be used or just left folded down and the case just functions as a folio case. Seems perfect in my opinion. And I have received confirmation that when the cover is folded all the way back, it will sit flat.

I agree and it looks fantastic!

Come on STM! Release this ASAP! :)

Sanveann
Jul 3, 2011, 06:04 PM
Looks great! I do wish they offered more colors, though :( I already have the berry Skinny, and the black and mushroom are sort of meh.

mrgossett
Jul 3, 2011, 08:49 PM
This is an interesting case and design. The only possible con that I can see in the design is that the inside liner of the cover (whatever it's made from) is going to be in contact with the table, etc. when it's in the display positions, which could transfer dirt, grit, etc. to the screen when closed.

madat42
Jul 3, 2011, 11:28 PM
I'm interested too but my concern is those kickstands breaking off, and then what?

radiogoober
Jul 4, 2011, 07:51 AM
I'm interested too but my concern is those kickstands breaking off, and then what?

If they break off, send the thing back! I doubt they'll break off though. It looks like if your iPad was in "typing mode" (whatever you call it, where it's at a 30' angle to horizontal), you'd basically have to step on it to break the kickstands.

But, in STM's defense: Their early batch of STM Skinny cases had an issue where if you folded the cover all the way back, the magnets would turn off the screen. They immediately released a "patch kit" that fixed the issue. They sent it out free of charge to anybody who had the issue. It took about 3 days for mine to come in.

STM is a good company. I have absolutely no worries or reserves in ordering this new case from them.

Sedrick
Jul 4, 2011, 08:24 AM
I like the new case, but the foot print is too big in the main viewing position. Much prefer the Skinny:

http://www.macfixit.com.au/shop/images/uploads/product_pics/iPad%20Gear/bags/STM-Skinny/STM-Skinny-folio-case-and-stand-for-Apple-iPad.jpeg

Fits much better on a crowded desk.

Blorzoga
Jul 12, 2011, 11:32 PM
Just ordered my black STM Kicker from ebags. 20% discount. Came to $38.95 with shipping. Supposed to arrive in a week. Can't wait.

radiogoober
Jul 13, 2011, 06:57 AM
Just ordered my black STM Kicker from ebags. 20% discount. Came to $38.95 with shipping. Supposed to arrive in a week. Can't wait.

Ahhh! Thank you for posting, I did not know it was available yet!

Edit: Just ordered black!

Blorzoga
Jul 13, 2011, 09:10 PM
eBags: 20% off $40 + shipping

Altrec and Radtech: $59.95 with free shipping.

Hmmmm, decisions decisions.

CORRECTION: eBags just jacked the price up to $60 less 20%

radiogoober
Jul 14, 2011, 07:17 AM
eBags: 20% off $40 + shipping

Altrec and Radtech: $59.95 with free shipping.

Hmmmm, decisions decisions.

CORRECTION: eBags just jacked the price up to $60 less 20%

OUCH that's brutal. I got it for 38.95 shipped from eBags before the price hike. Mines already shipped too so I guess they can't renege on the price!

Blorzoga
Jul 14, 2011, 10:35 AM
OUCH that's brutal. I got it for 38.95 shipped from eBags before the price hike. Mines already shipped too so I guess they can't renege on the price!

Same here. They must have listed it at the lower price by mistake. Either that or they saw what other sites were charging and increased it. Eiher way, we lucked out.

Blorzoga
Jul 19, 2011, 05:45 PM
I was really looking forward to this case. I received it today and was very disappointed. First of all, it was broken. One of the corners that houses the magnets was broken and the magnet came out. That was probably ebags' fault for shipping it in an unpadded plastic envelope. But the real problem is with the case. The material is ok, but when you fold the flap back, it does not lie flat. The kickstand mechanism protrudes too much. It doesn't lay anywhere near as flat as the Skinny. And the stand positions are not very stable. What more can I say, I'm sending it back. They should have just made a leather skinny without the tab.

radiogoober
Jul 19, 2011, 06:16 PM
I was really looking forward to this case. I received it today and was very disappointed. First of all, it was broken. One of the corners that houses the magnets was broken and the magnet came out. That was probably ebags' fault for shipping it in an unpadded plastic envelope. But the real problem is with the case. The material is ok, but when you fold the flap back, it does not lie flat. The kickstand mechanism protrudes too much. It doesn't lay anywhere near as flat as the Skinny. And the stand positions are not very stable. What more can I say, I'm sending it back. They should have just made a leather skinny without the tab.

Yikes. That sucks to hear. I'm literally walking out the door to go pick mine up.

BlindMellon
Jul 20, 2011, 06:28 AM
I gotta say, this new design just doesn't do it for me. Much prefer the original STM Skinny.

Blorzoga
Jul 20, 2011, 06:54 AM
I gotta say, this new design just doesn't do it for me. Much prefer the original STM Skinny.

Your instincts are correct. Mine's going back today.

radiogoober
Jul 20, 2011, 09:43 AM
I have mixed feelings about the Kicker by STM.

Good:
- I think the leather material looks very, very nice. I have the black and it looks very professional, it feels like quality material, and it keeps the same low profile as the STM Skinny (maybe a couple of mm thicker?)
- The "smart cover" auto on/off works perfectly
- The cover has magnets to keep it closed so it just doesn't flop open
- No issues with folding the cover all the way back and the screen turning off
- The "kick stand" works very well.
- STM still has the best "clip in" system on the market for cases

Bad:
- The case doesn't have the "tab" that the STM Skinny had, so if your twist the cover a little the screen pops on and off. I would have concerns if I put this in my bag while traveling that the cover would move, switch on the screen, and kill my battery
- It does have a bigger foot print than the STM skinny when you try to use the case as a stand
- The kickstand prevents the case from lying flat.

Neutral:
- Blorzoga said when cover is folded back the iPad doesn't lay flat. This is true. But I think it will lay flat after a little bit of use. It seems the "hinge" (for lack of a better word) is just a little tight. I hope it stretches out a little.

Honestly I think the leather case + tab (without kickstand) would have been the ultimate case. Overall, I'm going to keep it. I really like how it looks and it feels nice in my hands.

Blorzoga
Jul 20, 2011, 10:37 AM
I have mixed feelings about the Kicker by STM.

Good:
- I think the leather material looks very, very nice. I have the black and it looks very professional, it feels like quality material, and it keeps the same low profile as the STM Skinny (maybe a couple of mm thicker?)
- The "smart cover" auto on/off works perfectly
- The cover has magnets to keep it closed so it just doesn't flop open
- No issues with folding the cover all the way back and the screen turning off
- The "kick stand" works very well.
- STM still has the best "clip in" system on the market for cases

Bad:
- The case doesn't have the "tab" that the STM Skinny had, so if your twist the cover a little the screen pops on and off. I would have concerns if I put this in my bag while traveling that the cover would move, switch on the screen, and kill my battery
- It does have a bigger foot print than the STM skinny when you try to use the case as a stand
- The kickstand prevents the case from lying flat.

Neutral:
- Blorzoga said when cover is folded back the iPad doesn't lay flat. This is true. But I think it will lay flat after a little bit of use. It seems the "hinge" (for lack of a better word) is just a little tight. I hope it stretches out a little.

Honestly I think the leather case + tab (without kickstand) would have been the ultimate case. Overall, I'm going to keep it. I really like how it looks and it feels nice in my hands.

I think they should have just made a leather (or pleather) Skinny. Why mess with perfection?

BlindMellon
Jul 20, 2011, 12:33 PM
I think they should have just made a leather (or pleather) Skinny. Why mess with perfection?

I'm with you. Perhaps a patch of Velcro to hold the tab from slipping, but otherwise the STM skinny is just about perfect.

Blorzoga
Jul 20, 2011, 02:59 PM
I'm with you. Perhaps a patch of Velcro to hold the tab from slipping, but otherwise the STM skinny is just about perfect.

I suggested (to STM) a retractable tab that would slide into the flap, out of the way to allow only the magnets to keep the flap closed but would slide back out to use the stand. The Velcro or equivalent retainer would be nice too

radiogoober
Jul 20, 2011, 06:50 PM

That would have been pretty damn sweet!

maniacphoner
Jul 21, 2011, 03:59 PM
The red color looks appealing as well.

cavemonkey50
Jul 22, 2011, 04:19 PM
I'm really torn on this case. I received my Kicker this afternoon and I also have a Skinny.

The "leather" material is definitely nicer than the material on the Skinny. I also like the straight cover instead of the fold (plus no tab!) as it makes it easier to fold backward and hold it without it collapsing. Unfortunately, like some have already mentioned, mine won't fold flat. I'm hoping there is a breaking in period just like the Skinny.

What I'm really unsure of is the kicker. While it's not annoying on the back, the plastic just feels cheap. I'm not sure how long it will last without breaking. It's sort of difficult to pop out the kicker, and when you want to snap it back, it requires a bit of effort to click it as you have to make a pass over all the edges of the stand to snap them in.

Also, what's up with the three indents on the cover? I can only make use of two of them with the kicker. The small kicker will go into the middle indent while the long kicker only goes into the one furthest from the edge. I can't get either of the kickers in the indent along the edge. I was kind of hoping the three indents allowed us to choose the angle, but I guess that's not how it works. Anyone find out what the unused indent is for?

Anyway, I'm going to they it this weekend and see if I can make up my mind. I may be shipping it back come Monday.

Blorzoga
Jul 23, 2011, 12:31 AM
I'm really torn on this case. I received my Kicker this afternoon and I also have a Skinny.

The "leather" material is definitely nicer than the material on the Skinny. I also like the straight cover instead of the fold (plus no tab!) as it makes it easier to fold backward and hold it without it collapsing. Unfortunately, like some have already mentioned, mine won't fold flat. I'm hoping there is a breaking in period just like the Skinny.

What I'm really unsure of is the kicker. While it's not annoying on the back, the plastic just feels cheap. I'm not sure how long it will last without breaking. It's sort of difficult to pop out the kicker, and when you want to snap it back, it requires a bit of effort to click it as you have to make a pass over all the edges of the stand to snap them

Also, what's up with the three indents on the cover? I can only make use of two of them with the kicker. The small kicker will go into the middle indent while the long kicker only goes into the one furthest from the edge. I can't get either of the kickers in the indent along the edge. I was kind of hoping the three indents allowed us to choose the angle, but I guess that's not how it works. Anyone find out what the unused indent is for?

Anyway, I'm going to they it this weekend and see if I can make up my mind. I may be shipping it back come Monday.

Mine arrived broken so I sent it back anyway. I was not impressed by the case at all. Besides being broken, the cover was warped, probably from the heat. The fact that it wouldn't fold back and lie flat was a complete deal breaker for me. In addition, I thought the typing position was much less stable than with the Skinny. The kickstand only supported the center, so the iPad would rock side to side while typing. And the three indents puzzled me as well. When I saw the picture I thought there were 3 typing positions and three viewing positions. I suspect they made the indented cover with the intention of having three positions for the kickstand, but things didn't work out. Anyway, i'll be sticking with my Skinny.

MainStream
Jul 23, 2011, 05:04 PM
Returned mine also. I was disappointed in nearly every aspect of this case. Appearance, functionality, quality. I have seen better for 1/2 the price.

kschles
Jul 25, 2011, 08:14 PM
Unfortunately, another no on this case. I have the Skinny and like it quite a bit. Should have waited on the kicker before ordering it, but thought STM was so close with the Skinny that the Kicker would be my perfect case.

The material is pretty disappointing. Feels cheap. The cover doesn't fold back flat. I think the pull out stand is kind of silly, especially since it means having the ridges on the front cover. There are so many covers out there with the two position folding cover. It shouldn't have been that hard to make a Skinny with better material (how about some leather), no tab, and a conventional way for the cover to fold into a couple of stand positions. Everything else (slim profile, good mounting system with magnets on the corners) would have been great.