Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StockDC2

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2011
I just purchased a Macbook which I suspect may have been subject to liquid damage. I've taken most of it apart and there is no corrosion although the back panel has some oxidation (orangish color). Is this from liquid damage or could it be from heat?

Can someone please pinpoint where the liquid damage indicators are in the unibody Macbook? I've searched all to no availability.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
The LSIs are the little white dots. If they're white, they haven't been tripped. If they're pink or red, they have.

StockDC2

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Thanks for the response! Are the little white dots these little things?

I noticed that in the second picture, mine are black whereas on ifixit, they are white. Is this something that I should be worried about?

img2209v.jpg

img2210q.jpg

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Yes, that's them--I see two in the top picture. I've never seen them black. They should turn pinkish red when they get wet. Maybe someone took a Sharpie to them.

StockDC2

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Hey Detrius, thanks so much for the responses.

The black dots are definitely not stickers. I tried peeling them off but there is no adhesive so I think that the black dots were there when the computer was manufactured. They almost feel granite like.

Anyways, I took it into the Apple store where they checked everything out, noted that there was no water damage, and sent it to their facilities to get everything fixed. They put it in as a "Tier 4" which means that everything will be replaced. This is awesome considering I purchased the computer for $150... It's still $999 on Apple's website!

I can't say enough about Apple's service!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.