Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johneaston

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
In last week's episode of "Made In Britain" they featured ARM Holdings.

I've always understood that ARM just design and licence chips to Apple, Nokia, RIM, Google, MS etc. but a few things stood out for me.

1. Why don't these enormous companies design their own chips? How can some two-bit brit company do it better?

2. Why doesn't one of the larger companies simply buy ARM?

3. Did you see the ARM building? The most god-awfully dull looking place in the world. How can anywhere that looks like such a miserable and boring place to work create such a valuable product?!

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Its on the iPlayer then i guess. Will give it a watch later on. About time Britain had a good electronics business. (Other than B&W) :D

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
3. Did you see the ARM building? The most god-awfully dull looking place in the world. How can anywhere that looks like such a miserable and boring place to work create such a valuable product?!

Hehehe..... I wondered the same thing. Their offices looked absolutely terrible... and yet, such a great company!

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
In last week's episode of "Made In Britain" they featured ARM Holdings.

I've always understood that ARM just design and licence chips to Apple, Nokia, RIM, Google, MS etc. but a few things stood out for me.

1. Why don't these enormous companies design their own chips? How can some two-bit brit company do it better?

ARM doesn't design the chips. It develops the processor architecture. Other companies like Apple license that architecture from RIM.

2. Why doesn't one of the larger companies simply buy ARM?

What's the point of buying out ARM?

All that glitters is not gold.

johneaston

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
ARM doesn't design the chips. It develops the processor architecture. Other companies like Apple license that architecture from RIM.

Isn't that also known as designing? To quote their own website:
"ARM designs and licenses fast, low-cost, power-efficient RISC processors..."

What's the point of buying out ARM?

That's exactly what I'm asking. Why answer my question with a question?!

All that glitters is not gold.

Very helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.