Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sevdo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
I found app that lets you send push notifications, Skype Notify.
Tried it with a friend, push goes through even if neither of you are logged into skype. Worth a try to save battery. ;)

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I found app that lets you send push notifications, Skype Notify.
Tried it with a friend, push goes through even if neither of you are logged into skype. Worth a try to save battery. ;)

so you found an app that does the same thing that skype does? lol. Skype does push notifications still.....

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
ok watching that just makes me question why you just don't use the skype app?

you can send a message in there to someone in exactly the same way...

sevdo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2011
Sure. But don't you both have to be logged into Skype and have it running?
Kills the battery on my phone...This way, I just open Skype when I need it to make a call.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Sure. But don't you both have to be logged into Skype and have it running?
Kills the battery on my phone...This way, I just open Skype when I need it to make a call.

i log in once and it stays logged in for like a week or so, i don't have to stay in it to receive push notifications, it doesn't use any more battery when you're out of it than that skype notify app, or do you not get how multitasking works on the iPhone?! lol

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
i log in once and it stays logged in for like a week or so, i don't have to stay in it to receive push notifications, it doesn't use any more battery when you're out of it than that skype notify app, or do you not get how multitasking works on the iPhone?! lol

Do you get how it works? Skype doesn't use push notifications like other apps do. If you check the list of apps that you can allow/deny notifications for, you will notice Skype isn't there. Since Skype is a VoIP app it is an exception to the multitasking rule that other apps follow. Skype does run in the background, and in many people's opinions, it does drain the battery.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Do you get how it works? Skype doesn't use push notifications like other apps do. If you check the list of apps that you can allow/deny notifications for, you will notice Skype isn't there. Since Skype is a VoIP app it is an exception to the multitasking rule that other apps follow. Skype does run in the background, and in many people's opinions, it does drain the battery.

Skype only continues to run in the background when you're on an active call, that's only when it can run in the background, it uses the VOIP API,

The multitasking API's are as follows:
Background audio
Voice over IP
Background location
Push Notifications
Local notifications
Task completion
Fast app switching

It can only use one of those. The whole app isn't running, just one of those listed.

if your battery is dying, it's not cos of Skype.

Skype's push notifications settings are in the Skype Settings, why it's not in the notification settings i don't know, but it still uses the push notification API.

Tho this doesn't apply if you've JB'd and used one of the multitasking things there that keep all things running.

Last edited:

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
It doesn't use the push notification API, it uses the VOIP API which is briefly described here.
I just did a test. I turned off push notifications, then logged into Skype. I exited Skype with the home button, and waited 45 minutes. I called the device and the phone rang. How would it do this if push notifications are turned off? The answer is that some part of Skype is running in the background, and not using push notifications.
The app the OP mentioned sounds like a good solution to the battery problem I get when Skype is logged in and accepting calls.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
It doesn't use the push notification API, it uses the VOIP API which is briefly described here.
I just did a test. I turned off push notifications, then logged into Skype. I exited Skype with the home button, and waited 45 minutes. I called the device and the phone rang. How would it do this if push notifications are turned off? The answer is that some part of Skype is running in the background, and not using push notifications.
The app the OP mentioned sounds like a good solution to the battery problem I get when Skype is logged in and accepting calls.

the voip API works much in the same way as the Push notifications API, basically it's inactive until it receives an incoming call, again, theis is not using anymore battery just like push notifications don't. That's why it doesn't show under push notifications.

the full Skype app is not running in the background, no battery gets used unless you then go on a call. that skype notify app is just a waste of time as you then have to open skype, log in, then await the call, whereas just using skype, it will open up straight away.

plus looking at that app, it looks so ugly, i wouldn't trust them with my skype login details!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.