Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Monkeychemist

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
NorCal
Since we all like to start rumors about this very anticipated release, I am going to start my own!

I think they will get released this Tuesday, a week ahead of Lion with Lion preinstalled. That way the true hardcore fans will have to buy a MBA to be the first to get their hands on Lion. Mark my words, I have a good feeling about this!:cool:

HelloPanda

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
Since we all like to start rumors about this very anticipated release, I am going to start my own!

I think they will get released this Tuesday, a week ahead of Lion with Lion preinstalled. That way the true hardcore fans will have to buy a MBA to be the first to get their hands on Lion. Mark my words, I have a good feeling about this!:cool:

That's basically what the folks over at techno buffalo said. I hope it's true.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
That way the true hardcore fans will have to buy a MBA to be the first to get their hands on Lion.

Nah, the hardcore will have been running the beta and GM.

I'll be waiting for the first point release or overwhelming endorsement that launch Lion isn't bugged to ****.

Duke15

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Canada
Good thing this isnt almost the exact same at the "chance on MBA July 6th" thread...why note just post in that thread

NicoleRichie

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not a chance.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
That would be amazing. But like, in 3 days. I'm hoping they do ship with SL though, I'm sure there are going to be some people who don't want to upgrade to Lion. However, now that I think about it, I'm sure that you can just restore from a TM backup straight to SL.

42streetsdown

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2011
Gallifrey, 5124
That would be amazing. But like, in 3 days. I'm hoping they do ship with SL though, I'm sure there are going to be some people who don't want to upgrade to Lion. However, now that I think about it, I'm sure that you can just restore from a TM backup straight to SL.

i don't think that restoring a time machine backup will work if SL isn't preinstalled. You'd probably have to do some hackintosh driver acquisition.
I do hope we see Snow Leopard preinstalled. Mostly being I want the MBA ASAP :)

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
i don't think that restoring a time machine backup will work if SL isn't preinstalled. You'd probably have to do some hackintosh driver acquisition.
I do hope we see Snow Leopard preinstalled. Mostly being I want the MBA ASAP :)

You can always do the Migration Assistant though and move the files over that way correct? That's how people install their OS on entirely new machines...

I haven't done this before though so this is all from what I have read, I fail to see why there wouldn't be some "easy" way to do this though.

BUT I'm sure that it would be possible to go back down to SL from Lion.

But does that make any sense? What, they expect the millions of people who buy a new Mac with SB that has Lion installed to NOT be able to restore from a TM backup? What other option is there? It wouldn't be feasible to even think of requiring people to actually come into the store to transfer data; TM or some other correlating program would be the only way to do this.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Could they release these with Lion during GM?

Did I see this before? I seem to recall something like this. Can't remember

But most likely, if they want to move these now they can just give free upgrades. No big deal.

What kind of history does Apple have with this scenario?

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Could they release these with Lion during GM?

Did I see this before? I seem to recall something like this. Can't remember

But most likely, if they want to move these now they can just give free upgrades. No big deal.

What kind of history does Apple have with this scenario?

1) No because it isn't the release copy. Think of the GM as... that unreleased CD artists give out on TV or something to a few lucky fans in the audience. They "can" do it but it isn't really ready for prime time yet. I read an article on this a week or so ago.

2) They "could" do this for free but you have to pay the people who actually coded and developed this thing somehow right? I would love it to be free though.... 30 is still less than 100+ with a Windows upgrade. One could argue for the complete UI overhall that happens with Windows upgrades though.

htpw16

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Lion will be free for those who purchase any Mac after June 6.

Last edited:

Steamrunner

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2008
2) They "could" do this for free but you have to pay the people who actually coded and developed this thing somehow right? I would love it to be free though.... 30 is still less than 100+ with a Windows upgrade. One could argue for the complete UI overhall that happens with Windows upgrades though.

No, if you buy a Mac now, you get Lion for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.