Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Hey, Chown33 mentioned that Apple had tutorials for learning Objective -C process. I am wanting to run through a tutorial from start to finish of a release.

Does anyone know the link to this. or is it embedded in Xcode?

Thanks

-Lars

ehoui

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Hey, Chown33 mentioned that Apple had tutorials for learning Objective -C process. I am wanting to run through a tutorial from start to finish of a release.

Does anyone know the link to this. or is it embedded in Xcode?

Thanks

-Lars

Apple has a website called "developer.apple.com". It has an amazing amount of technical documentation, sample code and guides for Mac OS X and iOS. You should always start there first and then branch out to other sites. Google is your friend.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
What have you tried?

Have you tried searching in Xcode for tutorial or beginner or first app material?

Have you tried googling for search terms like:
xcode first app
xcode first cocoa app
xcode beginner tutorial

This is asking for the process you used (what you did), not the outcome (what you found or didn't find).

If you did do a search, tell us what you searched (Xcode or the web) using what tool (Xcode Help or a search engine), and what the outcome was (what you found or didn't find).

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
I asked first because Chown33 seemed to know of some starter tutorials that took you thought a project. Sometimes you posted the links in your responses and I thought there might be some specific ones from Apple. When I search Google, iphones tutorials come up quite a bit. I thought it would be quicker just to ask you where they were so I did not have to fish around to try to find them.

I will start at the Apple developers site and search there.

Thanks,

-Lars

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
There is a specific tutorial I had in mind.

I noticed that you didn't answer the question: What have you tried?

You gave some narrative history, and then a hand-wave about some poor results. You didn't describe what you did to get those results.

I didn't ask that as a rhetorical question. I would like to know exactly what search terms you tried. If you don't remember, please try again, and write them down so you can post them.

I would also like to know if you tried the search terms I posted. If you did try what I posted, how far down the page of results did you look before giving up. What were you looking for as you work down the pages of results? Did you try recombinations or additions to what I posted, such as:
xcode first app tutorial
xcode mac app tutorial
xcode first mac app tutorial

These may seem like pointless questions, or me being a ********. However, there's a reason I'm asking this, and it has to do with how you find things yourself. If your strategy is flawed, or you simply can't articulate it, then you will be at a significant disadvantage. If you can't describe a strategy, you can't examine it for flaws or fix them.

If you haven't already read it, I suggest that you read this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1180133/

The goal in all this is to make you more independent, and better able to provide specific information about what you do. Accuracy is important in programming, as is knowing what you did that lead to some outcome.

Last edited:

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
There is a specific tutorial I had in mind.

I noticed that you didn't answer the question: What have you tried?

You gave some narrative history, and then a hand-wave about some poor results. You didn't describe what you did to get those results.

I didn't ask that as a rhetorical question. I would like to know exactly what search terms you tried. If you don't remember, please try again, and write them down so you can post them.

I would also like to know if you tried the search terms I posted. If you did try what I posted, how far down the page of results did you look before giving up. What were you looking for as you work down the pages of results? These may seem like pointless questions, or me being a ********. There's a reason I'm asking this, and it has to do with how you find things yourself. If your strategy is flawed, or you simply can't articulate it, then you will be at a significant disadvantage. If you don't know how to articulate a flawed strategy, you won't be able to fix it.

If you haven't already read it, I suggest that you read this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1180133/

The goal in all this is to make you more independent, and better able to provide specific information about what you do. Accuracy is important in programming, as is knowing what you did that lead to some outcome.

(Begin commentary)

I absolutely agree with the goal to develop posters into independent programmers.

I think chown33 is being too harsh here. Lars has repeatedly shown himself to be more than willing to make reasonable attempts to research and understanding what he's working on, what he's asking about, and what the replies to his questions mean.

(End commentary)

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
(Begin commentary)

I absolutely agree with the goal to develop posters into independent programmers.

I think chown33 is being too harsh here. Lars has repeatedly shown himself to be more than willing to make reasonable attempts to research and understanding what he's working on, what he's asking about, and what the replies to his questions mean.

(End commentary)

Writing a program is describing a process. When someone has trouble writing a program, we ask them: Post your code.

If someone has trouble with the results from a process (such as finding a tutorial), the logical complement to "Post your code" is "Describe your process". Which is the same as asking "What have you tried?", with the primary focus on describing the process, not on complaints about the outcome. We already know the outcome is faulty, but we can't address the faults in the outcome until we know the process and its inputs are.

I really did ask it that way for a reason. If Lars can't find something himself, then I see two possible strategies: we give him the answer, or we help debug his process. Since this has come up before with Lars and searching, I think it's fair to ask the question as a means to debugging the process.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
The reason I asked Chown33 is because you had mentioned in another thread asking me if I had gone though Apples tutorials or something to that effect. You guys have been very helpful in answer my questions especially after I stopped with the book and started a little cocoa app. I am ready to start on the book again but thought I would look at those tutorials that I remember you mentioning.

When I search the internet everything seems to me iPhone this and iPhone that. I did a search like this "apple developer Xcode Tutorials" but could not find anything like you were referring too. Maybe I misunderstood your response regarding Apple made tutorials for starters.

Don't get me wrong, I am sooooo thankful for the help and steering me in the right direction. Sometimes my questions might sound stupid but that is because I might not know how to ask them for an unfamiliar subject. You'll never see me write "Can someone write this code for me". What ever Jim writes I really try to break it apart and analyze what is happening.

I am trying to learn as much as I can on Object-C before my Java class starts August 22nd.

Thanks again, really.

-Lars

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
When I search the internet everything seems to me iPhone this and iPhone that. I did a search like this "apple developer Xcode Tutorials" but could not find anything like you were referring too.

What search engine did you use?

What other search terms did you try?

Have you tried the search terms I posted? Specifically, these:
xcode first app tutorial
xcode mac app tutorial

To limit a search to Apple's developer website, keywords alone won't work. There is a specific format for a site-specific search:
Code:
site:DomainName
To limit the search to developer.apple.com, the search term is:
Code:
site:developer.apple.com
If you had read the other thread I linked to, I specifically mention this.

To search all Apple sites, the search term is:
Code:
site:apple.com
It will return results from all apple.com sub-domains, such as itunes.apple.com, lists.apple.com, store.apple.com.

larswik

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
I only searched using Google. I didn't even know you could do those other types of searches.

I'll try that.

Thanks for your time.

-Lars

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
What search engine did you use?

What other search terms did you try?

Have you tried the search terms I posted? Specifically, these:
xcode first app tutorial
xcode mac app tutorial

To limit a search to Apple's developer website, keywords alone won't work. There is a specific format for a site-specific search:
Code:
site:DomainName
To limit the search to developer.apple.com, the search term is:
Code:
site:developer.apple.com
If you had read the other thread I linked to, I specifically mention this.

To search all Apple sites, the search term is:
Code:
site:apple.com
It will return results from all apple.com sub-domains, such as itunes.apple.com, lists.apple.com, store.apple.com.

Thanks, I'll have to start using this in the future when I'm looking for something specific.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.