Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramparts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
I'm buying an iPad 2 soon and am considering which Smart Cover to get. Most of the posts I found about the Smart Covers were from March when the iPad 2 was still fresh, so now that people have had the time to own them for a few months, I'm wondering how the leather covers have held up. Do they still look decent after a few months? Do the dyes bleed onto the iPad? Do they require much special treatment?

I'd like to get the black leather case (for a black iPad), but if it's too much hassle or if it bleeds onto the iPad, or there are any other problems to be aware of, I might just spring for the blue poly, even though from what I could see in the local Apple Store today, it's not as rich a blue as the website makes it look!

techdude6693

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2010
Irvine, CA
I'm buying an iPad 2 soon and am considering which Smart Cover to get. Most of the posts I found about the Smart Covers were from March when the iPad 2 was still fresh, so now that people have had the time to own them for a few months, I'm wondering how the leather covers have held up. Do they still look decent after a few months? Do the dyes bleed onto the iPad? Do they require much special treatment?

I'd like to get the black leather case (for a black iPad), but if it's too much hassle or if it bleeds onto the iPad, or there are any other problems to be aware of, I might just spring for the blue poly, even though from what I could see in the local Apple Store today, it's not as rich a blue as the website makes it look!

Honestly speaking, skip the smart cover. Its not worth $70 or even $40. You can get some nice cases that have the smart cover on front with back protection. Like the casecrown bold tri-fold. I've been using it since I got my iPad 2 and I love it. Plus its under $30, so its a steal

thunderbunny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Cheshire, UK
Have had my leather smart cover for a little over 3 months. The glue on the inside edge of the smart cover (by hinges) is starting to come unstuck. These covers are definitely not worth the price.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I think you'll find mixed views on the Smart cover. Personally I like it and after two months mine is almost good as new. It seems well made but like with any product there will be some that don't hold up. I disagree with those that say the Smart cover is not a good idea although I do agree it is over priced. I'm happy with mine though. I've got the black leather one and other then a few minor scuffs which can probably be treated by a leather cleaning solution it's not had any problems.

I also disagree with those recommending folio style cases they add way too much bulk and weight and in my opinion aesthetically look tacky and ugly although some are better then others. I think the best combination is a one of the thin back covers together with a smart cover. Be aware though that this won't offer a lot of protection if you drop it. I also have a thin but padded leather sleeve for carrying the iPad on the go.

If you want an alternative to Apple's smart cover something which is more stylish but more expensive is the leather Smart covers by Grove at http://www.grovemade.com. They are hand made and there is an 8-10 week wait but I think they are worth it from everything I've read about them. I've got one on order.

ramparts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
I think you'll find mixed views on the Smart cover. Personally I like it and after two months mine is almost good as new. It seems well made but like with any product there will be some that don't hold up. I disagree with those that say the Smart cover is not a good idea although I do agree it is over priced. I'm happy with mine though.

I also disagree with those recommending folio style cases they add way too much bulk and weight and in my opinion aesthetically look tacky and ugly although some are better then others. I think the best combination is a one of the thin back covers together with a smart cover. Be aware though that this won't offer a lot of protection if you drop it. I also have a thin but padded leather sleeve for carrying the iPad on the go.

If you want an alternative to Apple's smart cover something which is more stylish but more expensive is the leather Smart covers by Grove at http://www.grovemade.com. They are hand made and there is an 8-10 week wait but I think they are worth it from everything I've read about them. I've got one on order.

Thanks. I think I'm coming from a similar place to you. Yeah, they're a bit expensive, but I'm not looking for massive protection in case I drop it - this is mostly just going to be going in and out of my backpack - and I really do want to maintain the lightness and form factor of the iPad, so adding some bulky case isn't in the cards.

So I appreciate the alternative recommendations from people who dislike the Smart Covers, but for now I want to try it out and I'm wondering if anyone has any warnings about the leather in particular!

2 Owls

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I had the black leather smart cover on my iPad from day one, it was good but the aluminium of the hinge soon wore and left marks on the iPad, never had any issues with bleeding.
I'd skip the smart cover, I took mine back and got a switch easy canvas 100% better, covers all of it too.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Sorry I edited my post after you replied to it just to add that I have a black leather smart cover and have no problems with colour bleeding or otherwise. I do think you need to regularly treat the leather which I haven't done yet.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I have 4 Month old black one that looks brand new after heavy use. Icarbon back protects against hinge marks. Treat a black one with black hide food from aerostitch.com

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
Love my leather smartcover. Protects the screen while adding almost nothing to thickness, the auto-on/off is very handy and it works well for typing. Slight wear after three months, but the great thing about leather is it continues to look good when worn.

malias4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Greece and Holland
I also have the black leather smart cover from apple. its really overpriced but it keeps the ipad2 as thin as possible.. ive got the smart cover bout 10days now and i dont see any marks! for the back of the ipad i got a black carbon skin so im ok from scratches etc. In the start i was really excited but now im a bit worried as if it stay clean ..

Now if u ask me if i would buy again the smart cover my answer would be prob no!
Bs my wife also uses the ipad so im a bit scared that she will drop it or throw tea cofee on the leather smart cover! i ve also ordered a folio case from a china site but i dont like it as it ads weight and makes the super pretty ipad lookin fat!

The smart cover itself is really good quallity leather and a very good idea i d say! good luck in watever case u choose! ipad2 is a great gadget njoy it matte

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.