PDA

View Full Version : Logic Studio on MBA good idea or not?

DJ Catalyst
Jul 3, 2011, 07:25 AM
I have got a MacBook Air (stats listed in my sig) and was wondering if its going to be a bad idea to run Logic on it or not?

I will be getting a Mac Mini if and when they hopefully update it to run Logic on but was wondering if its worth putting it on my MacBook Air to start learning the interface and basic techniques?

The system req's on the retail box for Logic studio suggest it will be fine but I am also very aware that the MBA is primarily designed as a notebook not a DAW computer.

Any advice on this would be great :)

HoldernessMedia
Jul 3, 2011, 02:06 PM
I have got a MacBook Air (stats listed in my sig) and was wondering if its going to be a bad idea to run Logic on it or not?

I will be getting a Mac Mini if and when they hopefully update it to run Logic on but was wondering if its worth putting it on my MacBook Air to start learning the interface and basic techniques?

The system req's on the retail box for Logic studio suggest it will be fine but I am also very aware that the MBA is primarily designed as a notebook not a DAW computer.

Any advice on this would be great :)

I think the only thing that might be a problem for you is disk space.
Your MBA has a 128gb SSD right? The FULL Logic Studio install takes up a TON of disk space, almost 50gb. However, the basic install only takes 9gb, you can choose to either not install the additional 38gb of content, or you can choose to install it on a separate hard drive.

If you just want to start using and learning Logic, I say go for it, just do the basic install and make sure not to install all the additional content.

Your MBA will do fine for Logic projects that do not use a ton of synths and CPU heavy plugins, but just realize that it is not an extremely powerful computer processor wise.

paolo-
Jul 4, 2011, 10:18 AM
Dive in while you have the software. Sure you'll hit a wall eventually but that's not a reason to stop you from making music. Judging by your avatar, I'm guessing you'll be doing some kind of electronic music which usually tends to be more cpu intensive than other genres. But great music was made on much lesser computers (chromeo still uses a 1995 pc as their sequencer ;) ). The limitation just forces you to work differently, that's not necessarily a bad thing. You'll probably have to bounce your synth tracks as audio files at some point in your mixes. That's not so bad because it will just force you to make the mix go forward and commit to some choices. Also, working with synth sound as wave files can make you work with them as samples, giving it a new sound. Speaking of samples, sampling stuff might be a venue to check out, doesn't use much CPU either.

Luap
Jul 4, 2011, 11:17 AM
I think the 13" screen could cause some headaches. I run Logic on a 20" iMac, and a lot of the time it doesn't feel big enough! And my projects are not usually very big or complex..