Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ptaylor9

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Hey all,
I've been doing a bit of noob app programming this weekend as a side project (my main work is as a .net developer) and I have previously gone through a couple of books for the Objective-C language itself, which is fine but now I need something more specific for iPhone dev that I can get on my iPhone/shortly to be order iPad2, so i'm not carrying textbooks around with me.
Obviously there are loads of great websites, but I want something I can read offline.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Cheers!

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hey all,
I've been doing a bit of noob app programming this weekend as a side project (my main work is as a .net developer) and I have previously gone through a couple of books for the Objective-C language itself, which is fine but now I need something more specific for iPhone dev that I can get on my iPhone/shortly to be order iPad2, so i'm not carrying textbooks around with me.
Obviously there are loads of great websites, but I want something I can read offline.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Cheers!

Tons of books have eBook editions that you can read in apps such as iBooks, Kindle, Nook etc. You can search for these editions directly from within said apps.

ptaylor9

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
There are a few listed in the sticky thread at the top of this forum

Hi,
Sorry, must have missed that first time through, though I have just noticed the little PDF button in the top right on the Apple dev documentation, which is useful.

Tons of books have eBook editions that you can read in apps such as iBooks, Kindle, Nook etc. You can search for these editions directly from within said apps.

I had a look through iBooks, and although there are a few on there, they are quite expensive, so wondered if there were any suggestions before shelling out on a not-so-great one. Maybe I should have said recommendations instead of suggestions.

Thanks both.

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I had a look through iBooks, and although there are a few on there, they are quite expensive, so wondered if there were any suggestions before shelling out on a not-so-great one. Maybe I should have said recommendations instead of suggestions.

Thanks both.

I agree. Not sure why the books in iBooks are so expensive. Try Amazon. They are usually cheaper than iBooks and they run in the Kindle app. Just to let you know the price difference, I wanted to purchase this book. It's $31.99 in iBooks but only $17.28 at Amazon.

ptaylor9

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
I agree. Not sure why the books in iBooks are so expensive. Try Amazon. They are usually cheaper than iBooks and they run in the Kindle app. Just to let you know the price difference, I wanted to purchase this book. It's $31.99 in iBooks but only $17.28 at Amazon.

Haha good example that. Actually, it looks like quite an interesting book. I've never really been into game programming, maybe it's time to give it a shot?
Did you get a lot out of this one?

Cheers,
P.

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Haha good example that. Actually, it looks like quite an interesting book. I've never really been into game programming, maybe it's time to give it a shot?
Did you get a lot out of this one?

Cheers,
P.

Yes. I found it very informative. I had zero game programming experience and it helped a lot. I'm really waiting for this book to become available. Also, check out this site for game programming tutorials.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.