Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Based on the newest rumor of the new MBA containing SSD capable of outputting 400MBps:

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/04/next-macbook-air-to-adopt-faster-more-power-efficient-ssd/

Got me to thinking, would the everyday user even see the difference in speed? And if any difference is perceived then is it more based on the newer chipset than the SSD?

Or was this purely implemented to eliminate the slowdown caused by Lion's encryption function?

Also, somewhat off topic question, as SSD approach RAM speeds could we see the elimination of RAM all together?

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Faster speeds allow good code writers to be spectaular, and sloppy ones to get away with murder....just ask microsoft about the latter....lol

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
Based on the newest rumor of the new MBA containing SSD capable of outputting 400MBps:

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/04/next-macbook-air-to-adopt-faster-more-power-efficient-ssd/

Got me to thinking, would the everyday user even see the difference in speed? And if any difference is perceived then is it more based on the newer chipset than the SSD?

Or was this purely implemented to eliminate the slowdown caused by Lion's encryption function?

Also, somewhat off topic question, as SSD approach RAM speeds could we see the elimination of RAM all together?

I would say no on the combining RAM.

RAM is volatile meaning that when the power is cut (turning off the computer) the memory is cleared.

The flash used in SSDs is non volatile meaning that it can retain its data with no power.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
I could but wrong but I think essentially thats what an SSD is.

Haha. Wait were you being funny?

I mean as in, why can't RAM be like an SSD, if this were the case? A few posts up someone asked about RAM being used with flash but that wouldn't work. What I'm wondering is why can't RAM be like flash memory?

Unless it's just... not made to be that. As in, it isn't in the code itself for RAM and the entire machine as a whole to work in the way that I'm suggesting. Doesn't really matter to me though as I never need more than 4 gigs. Just some food for thought :)

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California

The article claimed that it would output 400Mbs, not 400MBs. 400 megabits per second. Also SSDs and RAM do different tasks.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010

SSD are not approaching RAM speeds, RAM is getting further away from SSDs.

MilkMan4

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
The article claimed that it would output 400Mbs, not 400MBs. 400 megabits per second. Also SSDs and RAM do different tasks.

its the same thing just a capital letter...............................................................................................................................................................................

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
its the same thing just a capital letter...............................................................................................................................................................................

Technically one means 400 megabits per second, the other means 400 megs... total. Which is technically wrong. Of course i don't really care; as you stated it is a capital letter, however it kind of changes the meaning.

endhalf

macrumors regular
May 24, 2011
Actually, the article did mention 400Mb/s, as someone stated above me, wich is not impressive at all (50MB/s), but some others articles mentioned 400MB/s... By the way, still with 400MB/s, it would be painfully slow to use it as RAM, simce RAM has speed of x(x)GB/s... Not to mention SSD isn't suitable for similar usage since it still has wear level.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space

Combined with faster processors - this could mean serious competition for the 13" MBP (but nobody will know until it's out. Rumors are the consolation price for a lack of information).

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

Megabits and megabytes are not the same thing.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Combined with faster processors - this could mean serious competition for the 13" MBP (but nobody will know until it's out. Rumors are the consolation price for a lack of information).

The MBP still uses full voltage chips. They will probably still out perform the LV and ULV versions of the same chip despite of the SSD.

FusionZero

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
Personally I would rather keep memory separate from disk. Something about reserving portions of disk as memory just seems wasteful. And limits expansion.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
400 MB/s is on par with some of the new SATA III drives out there like the Crucial m4 and Vertex 3's. It's definitely nice but not Earth shattering exciting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.