Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
It's been a couple days since the GM was released, so when do you think Lion will come out?

johneaston

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
After a GM is released it's usually only a few days to a week. 2 weeks would be a bit long unless a show stopper bug was found (unlikely).

Whatever anyone else says, I'm going to listen to this!

But if Apple have decided on a 'gold master' why release it to devs rather than just releasing it outright?

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
They might be releasing new hardware alongside it (similar to iOS releases) so the date would be a lot more hassle to move. They may be giving the GM a few weeks headstart so they can release a fix build if needed and stay on schedule.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Whatever anyone else says, I'm going to listen to this!

But if Apple have decided on a 'gold master' why release it to devs rather than just releasing it outright?
Because major bugs have been found. iOS 4.2 GM was never released to the public because of a major security bug. 4.2.1 is what was released.

markrox7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
My guess is that Apple's going to release Lion to the public on July 6. That gives them plenty of time to release new hardware before their earnings call coming up on the 19.

nickelanddime

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2010
I bought a new i5 iMac a couple weeks back, and I think I read somewhere I would be eligible to get a free copy of Lion. Does anyone know how I would get the free lion?

Duke15

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Canada
Im assuming its prob a couple weeks away, seeing as there seem to be a few bugs and the store staff would have to be trained, and we've seen no rumors of them starting to be trained or even planning on it

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
I'll preface my remarks by stating that I'm the token Mac Dude at work (there are only a couple of people at my work that even use a Mac, and I'm the only one that actually brings one in), but I've been telling them that tomorrow is the day. I really don't think Apple will wait until the 14th or 19th, what with the extremely low and/or non-existent supply levels of both MacBook Airs and MacBooks. Throw in the new Mac Pro refresh and either this week or next week should be the week, although I still think it will be earlier rather than later.

As for not getting rumors or news on employee training, maybe Apple is finally nipping that in the bud. They don't like leaks, with the exception of their designed leaks, so I'm not surprised that we haven't heard any rumors about a release as big as Lion.

The other thing to consider is the lack of lead time for printing DVDs, wrapping, shipping, and setting up displays for Lion. It will be released on the Mac App Store, so none of that must be realized. The other benefit is the vastly reduced price. Since there will be extremely low number of printed copies, Apple doesn't have to charge us for packaging materials, shipping costs, etc...

I'm hoping for a release tomorrow, but it may still be next week.

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
I'll preface my remarks by stating that I'm the token Mac Dude at work (there are only a couple of people at my work that even use a Mac, and I'm the only one that actually brings one in), but I've been telling them that tomorrow is the day. I really don't think Apple will wait until the 14th or 19th, what with the extremely low and/or non-existent supply levels of both MacBook Airs and MacBooks. Throw in the new Mac Pro refresh and either this week or next week should be the week, although I still think it will be earlier rather than later.

As for not getting rumors or news on employee training, maybe Apple is finally nipping that in the bud. They don't like leaks, with the exception of their designed leaks, so I'm not surprised that we haven't heard any rumors about a release as big as Lion.

The other thing to consider is the lack of lead time for printing DVDs, wrapping, shipping, and setting up displays for Lion. It will be released on the Mac App Store, so none of that must be realized. The other benefit is the vastly reduced price. Since there will be extremely low number of printed copies, Apple doesn't have to charge us for packaging materials, shipping costs, etc...

I'm hoping for a release tomorrow, but it may still be next week.

If Apple wants to release any machines alongside the actual software release though, they need time to install Lion onto the computers.

Furthermore, the GM has only been out for a holiday weekend. That is nowhere near sufficient testing time.

Glyphism

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2011
I really hope it's not release soon and that this is not the GM. It's buggy as all hell. Things lock up, spinning wheels, interface elements landing in weird random locations. I could go on of hours...

jnl1211

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2011
NWIndiana
I've seen: 6th, 11th, and the 14th.

The 14th was the original date, an "Insider" said it was pushed up to 11th, and then read somewhere else it could actually be as early as the 6th...

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
England
I saw speculation of it being on the 6th. That would be cool as it would then be released a day before my birthday :). Part of me wants it to be released soon so I can pounce on it and play. But then another part of me is telling me to be patient; better a good mature product than a rushed one that's badly done.
Although on that note, I also feel part of myself echoing the sentiment of others here. To wait until the .1 update.

I've been using Snow Leopard since literally the day it was released, from 10.6 right up to 10.6.8, and I've never had an issue. So that in turn makes me more confident in trying this one out. But hey, either way; there's always a need for early adopters.

jnl1211

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2011
NWIndiana
I saw speculation of it being on the 6th. That would be cool as it would then be released a day before my birthday :). Part of me wants it to be released soon so I can pounce on it and play. But then another part of me is telling me to be patient; better a good mature product than a rushed one that's badly done.
Although on that note, I also feel part of myself echoing the sentiment of others here. To wait until the .1 update.

I've been using Snow Leopard since literally the day it was released, from 10.6 right up to 10.6.8, and I've never had an issue. So that in turn makes me more confident in trying this one out. But hey, either way; there's always a need for early adopters.

I'm using the GM which is basically release, and aside from Firefox being crashtastic and Mail not pushing I don't have any real issues that I didn't have in SL

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
England
I'm using the GM which is basically release, and aside from Firefox being crashtastic and Mail not pushing I don't have any real issues that I didn't have in SL

Thinking about it now, it is likely that there would only be minor annoyances. And it's probably more of a risk to wait off. As whilst there may be a few bugs, there's no guarantee as to when an update will be rolled out. It could be as short as 2 weeks like with Snow Leopard or potentially a month or longer.

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Well, it appears that I was wrong and that Lion isn't coming out today :( Oh well, it's not as if my job was reliant on my prognostications :D I still say we'll see it either this week or next.

Hey, maybe I should get a job as an analyst. They get paid whether or not their guesses are right :D

I have been using an external drive to test Lion. I use it with both my 27" iMac and my 17" MacBook Pro. For the most part, everything works well, but a couple of things always are a bit off. That's most likely due to the vast difference in system components between the two systems, but the only thing I really don't like is the non-compatibility of Geektool 3.0 with Lion. That and the transition between screens of Launchpad. It kind of freezes between the screens and I have to click somewhere on the screen before the transition is completed. Other than that, I LOVE Lion, especially the multi-touch gestures. I just wish browsers other than Safari get on the same page, with respect to two-finger page changes (backwards and forwards, that is).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.