Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
I have an old firewire charger that I got with an ipod generation 2 (I think). When I try to charge my new ipod or iphone with it, it says that it's not supported. How lame is that? Why does Apple do this? Obviously it's something simple that could be fixed in the firmware, right?

Anyways, I guess I could hold onto the cable, but if I don't have any older ipods, is this charger (and perhaps cable) basically useless now?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
iDevices made after the iPhone 3G and including the iPhone 3G cannot charge via FireWire. The reasons being, FireWire power is less uniform than USB and it makes the iDevice more expensive. The newer iDevices cannot charge via FireWire and it is not something that is done via firmware. The change was made to the charging hardware of the iDevice. Apple had some good reasons to do it. Thus, it is not "lame".

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It won't charge or it won't synch? I have a first-gen Touch and I can charge using FireWire, but I get the "not supported" message when I try to connect to iTunes with it.

Edit: Intell's post is much more helpful and implies that the first-gen iPhone probably also supported FireWire charging, but that newer devices don't.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
It won't charge or it won't synch? I have a first-gen Touch and I can charge using FireWire, but I get the "not supported" message when I try to connect to iTunes with it.

Edit: Intell's post is much more helpful and implies that the first-gen iPhone probably also supported FireWire charging, but that newer devices don't.

So, basically the entire charger (including cable) is useless unless I have an older ipod that I can charge with it? Is there a market for it or should I just throw it out/recycle it?

FYI...it is lame. Apple just wants people to purchase there new usb plastic cube for $30 or the cable only for $20.

LAME...

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Firewire provides power at a different voltage to USB. So in order to support Firewire charging additional voltage regulation circuitry is required. Apple have not included this for some time due to the additional costs and space on the logic boards required.

Daffodil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
In a sunny state of mind
So, basically the entire charger (including cable) is useless unless I have an older ipod that I can charge with it? Is there a market for it or should I just throw it out/recycle it?

FYI...it is lame. Apple just wants people to purchase there new usb plastic cube for $30 or the cable only for $20.

LAME...

I'm going to take Intell's statement that there were good reasons for it as true, since I don't know enough about that sort of stuff, but I agree that it's annoying to have old firewire cables lying around, essentially useless...

But regardless, when you buy a new ipod, the cable comes along with it. So it's silly for you to complain that you have to fork out money to buy a new one, because you don't...

edit - Thanks for explaining robbieduncan, that makes sense!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

LAME...

You may want to try selling the FireWire brick and cable on eBay. Some people with older iPods may want or need a FireWire cable.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
I'm going to take Intell's statement that there were good reasons for it as true, since I don't know enough about that sort of stuff, but I agree that it's annoying to have old firewire cables lying around, essentially useless...

But regardless, when you buy a new ipod, the cable comes along with it. So it's silly for you to complain that you have to fork out money to buy a new one, because you don't...

edit - Thanks for explaining robbieduncan, that makes sense!

I do have a right to complain because Apple no longer includes the charger. They only include a cable now that has to be connected to the computer to charge the ipod. Of course most people want a charger for which they now have to pay about $30.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Apple hasn't included a charger since 2005 or 2006 with an iPod. The iPhone and iPad still have a charger though.

jonrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2011
Apple hasn't included a charger since 2005 or 2006 with an iPod. The iPhone and iPad still have a charger though.

You can find a cheap adapter (the one that comes with the iPhone 4) on eBay for like a dollar, maybe cheaper. I got it off eBay, coupled it with the USB that came with my iPod touch, and it works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.