PDA

View Full Version : Apple Orders 15 Million iPhone 5s, Shipping Begins in September

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jul 5, 2011, 01:21 AM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/05/apple-orders-15-million-iphone-5s-shipping-begins-in-september/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/iphone51.jpg

DigiTimes claims (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110704PD216.html) that Pegatron Technology has received orders for 15 million iPhone 5s from Apple and is set to start shipping in September 2011.The sources pointed out that as the iPhone 5, which does not seem to have any major update from iPhone 4, is already set for shipment in September, they are already started supplying components to Pegatron with Pegatron's plants in Shanghai, China also recently started hiring for manpower.DigiTimes is a frequent source for production and order rumors from Apple. They had previously predicted (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/17/pegatron-to-deliver-cdma-iphone-4s-to-apple-in-q4/) that Pegatron received an order for CDMA iPhone 4s for the fourth quarter of 2010. The actual Verizon (CDMA) iPhone was announced in January of 2011 and shipped the following month.

Article Link: Apple Orders 15 Million iPhone 5s, Shipping Begins in September (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/05/apple-orders-15-million-iphone-5s-shipping-begins-in-september/)

ChrisH3677
Jul 5, 2011, 01:24 AM
It better have some major update or I'll keep my 3GS and wait for the 6

Mr. Gates
Jul 5, 2011, 01:24 AM
Bummer.

Same design.

Not a world phone.

wordoflife
Jul 5, 2011, 01:28 AM
Bummer.

Same design.

Not a world phone.

I find it very hard to complain about the current design :D
It's amazing.

Isn't the AT&T/GSM one technically a world phone? :confused:

DiamondGCoupe
Jul 5, 2011, 01:29 AM
Let's not forgot the free bumper policy c. July 2010, bet your ass there will be hardware changes.

phalseHUD
Jul 5, 2011, 01:30 AM

Hmmm... Yip I might be doing the same. I could do with a change though since I've had this same design since the 3G came out.

dmb182
Jul 5, 2011, 01:30 AM
yeah, for the first time i dont think i'll be upgrading. iphone 4 is great, i dont see what they could improve worthy of the hassle of upgrading (and make no mistake, the hassle of all that contract business is a road block for some users)

zapnyc
Jul 5, 2011, 01:31 AM
"does not seem..."?

Doubtful they'd put out a big fat important-sounding "5" device number without some significant change.

Otherwise it would be a "4"....

Here's a novel idea...everybody wait till September before blowing your horn in outrage. sheesh

stagi
Jul 5, 2011, 01:31 AM
If they are waiting until sept. I bet there will be a design/hardware change. Hoping for something other than a 4Gs

AbblePC
Jul 5, 2011, 01:32 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5248d)

Something new for iPhone 5 is a brewin! :)

nerdo
Jul 5, 2011, 01:34 AM
Will wait for the iPhone 6 or whichever one has a 3D display :)

ben173
Jul 5, 2011, 01:35 AM

dont get the iphone 6 wait for the iphone 7

lol

OceanView
Jul 5, 2011, 01:37 AM
Make it good Apple or many will jump to Android.

TOYSTER17
Jul 5, 2011, 01:38 AM
Well I'm ready to upgrade, I'm still on the original.

wordoflife
Jul 5, 2011, 01:38 AM

Why waste all that time?
You could probably sell your 3GS and your iPhone 5 for enough money for the iPhone 6

SilianRail
Jul 5, 2011, 01:39 AM
Make it good Apple or many will jump to Android.Android is cheap plastic crap with horrible battery life junk. I would take a 3GS over any Android phone.

appleguy123

That will be the day I switch from iPhones forever. 3D is a headache inducing gimmick.

AbblePC
I would like to make a prediction, that I will be order # 1342 for iPhone 5, Hey the number just sounded good to me. :apple:

RichardBeer
Jul 5, 2011, 01:48 AM
A few minor redesigns and a hardware spec bump is about what I expected.
It's not like there's likely to be a radical redesign every generation.

Moyank24
Jul 5, 2011, 01:49 AM
It's amazing.

I agree about the design. I would actually be disappointed if they changed the look of the phone. IMO the best looking iPhone of the bunch.

That being said, these coming months of rumors should be a blast. But, I'm still going to take everything with a grain of salt until I see Steve showing it off.

Now, cue the arguments of what the actual name of the phone will be. I vote for iPhone 4GS°.

stridemat
Jul 5, 2011, 01:50 AM
Glad I signed up for a 24 month contract. Meant I got the phone cheaper, and with nothing to upgrade to glad it paid off.

ender-wiggin
Jul 5, 2011, 01:52 AM
If they are waiting until sept. I bet there will be a design/hardware change. Hoping for something other than a 4Gs

The iPhone 4 isn't even 4G yet. The update could be just that.

chrmjenkins
Jul 5, 2011, 01:52 AM
My prediction:

Same screen as iPhone 4
Extremely similar body style
A5 like the iPad 2
Upgraded camera
Universal Qualcomm radio across all models, Verizon model may not have SIM slot though
Capacity bump to 64 GB
Black and white from launch

mKizzo
Jul 5, 2011, 01:53 AM

Wow you must treat it good! I went through 2 original iPhones, which both gave up the ghost. Still got them lying around somewhere...

jmpnop
Jul 5, 2011, 01:54 AM
Will they offer unlocked iPhone 5 right from start?

MacJones
Jul 5, 2011, 01:55 AM

Already did after iOS 5 was announced. Overall I was really disappointed with it.

What would they need to change? The OS doesn't have any huge differences so an iPhone 4 would handle it just fine.

Android is cheap plastic crap with horrible battery life junk. I would take a 3GS over any Android phone.

Cheap plastic crap, no. Horrible battery, yes but I just carry a spare in my pocket and everything is fine.

ARobinson
Jul 5, 2011, 01:56 AM
Sweet. Don't really care if there is just a simple hardware upgrade, i've been holding onto my 3GS for far too long. With its degraded battery life...ill be the first in line for a new phone.

Loge
Jul 5, 2011, 01:59 AM
Still hoping for a 64GB model. Otherwise I'll probably keep the 4 for longer.

TOYSTER17
Jul 5, 2011, 02:02 AM
Wow you must treat it good! I went through 2 original iPhones, which both gave up the ghost. Still got them lying around somewhere...

Its got some bumps and bruises. It helps that it's not plastic. But boy am I ready to update, it can get frustrating at times now with how it runs.

skellener
Jul 5, 2011, 02:03 AM
Sweet. Don't really care if there is just a simple hardware upgrade, i've been holding onto my 3GS for far too long. With its degraded battery life...ill be the first in line for a new phone.My 3GS is still going strong. Works great! :)

Asia8
Jul 5, 2011, 02:04 AM
Ok, time for me to start a rumour based on... well, it's a rumour, I need no basis.

It will come with 4G, 2 SIM card slots, a Micro-SD slot and, why not... like macs can now install windows, you can also install android or the windows for mobile os thingy on the iphone 5.

3 and 4 sim card slots will be saved for future marketing purposes, i mean, a feature they will work hard to release in the next few versions.

Note: this is ficticious, but I would love the Micro-SD slot and the multiple SIM cards.

1080p
Jul 5, 2011, 02:07 AM
Android is cheap plastic crap with horrible battery life junk. I would take a 3GS over any Android phone.

Kinda funny you said that. I did just that. I sold my iPhone 4. Then got the Galaxy S II import. Then I realized my mistake in abandoning iOS. So I sold it and bought an iPad 2. I am using an old 3GS until the iPhone 5 hits.

Lennholm
Jul 5, 2011, 02:08 AM

Stop parroting the same old bs. Look at the Galaxy S2, nothing cheap or plastic about it. And I don't see how iPhone battery life is any better, neither an Android phone nor iPhone comes close to my SonyEricsson K750i that holds a charge for 1.5 weeks.

That will be the day I switch from iPhones forever. 3D is a headache inducing gimmick.

I love my Nintendo 3DS

dethmaShine
Jul 5, 2011, 02:08 AM

Cheap plastic crap?

1. Not all android phones are cheap.

2. Is plastic always crap? What about 3G/3GS/Macbooks that are made of plastic? Are you talking about the revolutionary Apple plastic?

Just let it go - There are great android phones out there. The software maybe crap in most of them.

swissmann
Jul 5, 2011, 02:09 AM

Same story here.

tsadi
Jul 5, 2011, 02:14 AM
The first time I heard rumors about Apple skipping the usual yearly upgrade for the iPhone, I thought it will practically kill them. And by the time they updated the iPhone4, the competition will be so far ahead of them already.

Seems like I was wrong.

bushido
Jul 5, 2011, 02:16 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

not lighter? no bigger screen? after owning 3 iphone generations samsung here i come. i have to say many people who previously owned a iPhone r jumping ship. my iphone 4 feels like a 2 year old phone compared to the now sold out galaxy s 2

kerr
Jul 5, 2011, 02:19 AM

iPhone 8 will be better than those :D

But seriously, I have a 3GS and sure the iPhone 4 is nice and the iPhone 5 will be somewhat better, but maybe I'll just stick with what I have until next year. I'm not feeling compelled to upgrade. I wish I was.

Bevz
Jul 5, 2011, 02:22 AM
and we're off... ;)

I'm still half through my iPhone 4 contract and it looks like this one is just a subtle improvement on mine so i'll be waiting until iPhone 6.

If it does have an A5 though it should be mighty fast...!

KylePowers
Jul 5, 2011, 02:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Gonna upgrade regardless because a relative lost their 3GS (which I gave him) so that I can give them my 4.

I love the design and am somewhat underwelmed with iOS 5, but it's not a deal breaker. I'm expecting an A5 and higher quality cameras, but I really really hope the screen size ups to 3.7 or 4. Longer battery life would be nice, like always, but I'm pretty satisfied with what it already has.

We'll see, I suppose. We'll see.

tsadi
Jul 5, 2011, 02:25 AM
... neither an Android phone nor iPhone comes close to my SonyEricsson K750i that holds a charge for 1.5 weeks.

So can my old Nokia 6151. What's your point?

andy721
Jul 5, 2011, 02:25 AM
This phone better have a larger screen and better be the iPhone 5 and not the iPhone 4S model.

jetblk328i
Jul 5, 2011, 02:27 AM
Good news. I'll prolly keep my 4 unless I see a redesign though. The current design and overall phone works so well. :D

Bevz
Jul 5, 2011, 02:27 AM

I've still got my original iPhone... Even after my 5 year old son had it for a year or so and gave it some serious hammering it's still going! ok, the wi-fi doesn't work anymore, it's got a dead pixel and the audio failed a long time ago, but it still basically works LOL ;)

I still use it for app store development. If it works on an iPhone1 on iOS 3.1 it'll pretty much work on anything ;)

Portal83
Jul 5, 2011, 02:29 AM
I won't be at all surprised if it's a 3G -> 3GS update. I really don't know how that previous poster can say their iPhone 4 feels like a 2 year old device...I still couldn't be happier with my purchase but will probably wait until the following update even if my carrier is giving early upgrades again.

Andrew K.
Jul 5, 2011, 02:30 AM
"does not seem..."?

Doubtful they'd put out a big fat important-sounding "5" device number without some significant change.

Here's a novel idea...everybody wait till September before blowing your horn in outrage. sheesh

Well people seem to get confused with the 3G to 3GS move and thinking it will apply to the 4. The 3G and 3GS stood for the 3G connection. iPhone 4 stood for the fourth iteration, so naturally 5 would be next unless they have 4G speed. Then they could call it 4S.

This year will be marginal upgrades for the iPad (Meaning the iPad 2) and iPhone (whatever they call it). Marginal doesn't mean they aren't awesome updates, it just means good business. Honestly, I think everyone would be tired if we got a brand new redesign EVERY YEAR. I went from the iphone 3G to the 4 and have the iPad 2 and will upgrade to the 4th one.

smulji
Jul 5, 2011, 02:31 AM
My prediction:

Same screen as iPhone 4
A5 like the iPad 2
Upgraded camera
Universal Qualcomm radio across all models, Verizon model may not have SIM slot though
Capacity bump to 64 GB

Not that I have any insider connections but this list seems fairly accurate to me. Enough for me to upgrade from my 3GS. Can't wait!

AppleScruff1
Jul 5, 2011, 02:39 AM
I'm glad there aren't any major changes. I also hope they raise the price a little, maybe $25 or so.

captain kaos
Jul 5, 2011, 02:42 AM
There has to be some update to it, as it wouldn't be a new phone or iphone 5. I bet people will be angry if its only a minor update! :D

Personaly im waiting to go back to the iphone this september, and i quite like the look of the 4. In fact, if the 5 only had a slight bump in power and spec i'd go with a 4 as they would be a bit cheaper.

Prediction: I say the things that are easier to change will be changed, ie, same shape, but aliminium or metal back (to stop the cracking glass replacements) and a few, or maybe all of these bumps: camera, processor, storage and RAM.

All good changes, but in the 4 shape. I'd be happy with that! :)

AppleScruff1
Jul 5, 2011, 02:44 AM
People won't care if there are no updates at all, just call it an iPhone 5 and they will be lined up days in advance to buy one. Even if they took features away it would still sell in record numbers.

redmamoth
Jul 5, 2011, 02:47 AM

My HTC Desire is niether cheap or plastic and the battery outlasts my girlfriends 3gs every day. Oh, and I have an iPad 2 before you call me anti-apple etc...

redmamoth
Jul 5, 2011, 02:50 AM
I might see if I can pick up a cheap iPhone 4 for the missus when all the sheep list them on eBay in anticipation for the iPhone 4S...

Lennholm
Jul 5, 2011, 02:56 AM

My point is that both Android phones and iPhone have crappy battery life

MacPhilosopher
Jul 5, 2011, 02:57 AM

That's probably the case for many iPhone 3Gs and iPhone 4 users, if it doesn't have any major updates then it is just the iPhone 4. Right?

AppleBoyFreak
Jul 5, 2011, 03:00 AM
I actually feel upset if this is true. I mean I think the iPhone would be perfect if they added led light on front, 3.7" screen, redesigned antenna, thinner, better camera, faster ram, and that's it. No matter what I'll be upgrading, but I'll get the white instead since I've had a black 3GS and black 4. I know my older sister will be extremely excited and shocked when she gets the iPhone 5 cause she's coming from the 3G and doesn't have any iOS 4/5 goodness.

philstubbington
Jul 5, 2011, 03:05 AM
I hate to ask you this, I am profoundly dyslexic. I can usually cover for this by using spell check and reading my posts several times before I click on the Submit button.

I have been trying to read your signature. I have even copied it to Photoshop and mirrored it. I can't tell what it says and it is DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!.

If you could translate the text I would be very greatfull, Thanks.

Try http://translate.google.com/ ..... Hebrew to English :)

Michael CM1
Jul 5, 2011, 03:06 AM
Depends on what your definition of "major" update is. I'm betting there will be an A5 chip like the iPad has. Add in my likely guess of storage upgrades and I'd say that's some decent stuff.

I think next year will be the next "major" update. There's no way there won't be a 64GB iPhone by then, 4G LTE will be added, and hopefully the devices will work on Verizon and AT&T, maybe even T-Mobile. There will be a plethora of people like me who want to switch to Verizon but can't because they bought an iPhone 4 at its launch and will be getting out of the contract.

Oh happy day if my projections are correct.

LaunchpadBS
Jul 5, 2011, 03:07 AM
I'll be happy with an iPhone 4 minus the technical issues with a slight spec bump, iOS 5 is going to be the big jump here.
I'm happy with the screen size, I don't want a 4" screen, just more of it to break when it inevitably falls/gets sat on etc, I have an iPad for the big screen :p

BTW: anyone notice how there haven't been ANY leaks about this phone so far, who's to say Apple didn't threaten Pegatron with a massive suit if this info leaks now, all they need to do is pay a 'credible source' to leak info about the iP5 not changing much...

Skika
Jul 5, 2011, 03:08 AM
Wasnt the last news saying something about a "radical redesign"?

ThisIsNotMe
Jul 5, 2011, 03:09 AM
I won't be at all surprised if it's a 3G -> 3GS update. I really don't know how that previous poster can say their iPhone 4 feels like a 2 year old device...I still couldn't be happier with my purchase but will probably wait until the following update even if my carrier is giving early upgrades again.

Um....
Hardware wise, the G3->3GS was probably the biggest leap.

acidfast7
Jul 5, 2011, 03:11 AM
Hopefully you guys will be able to get it without the ridiculous 800 USD/year contact for 2 years.

nonameowns
Jul 5, 2011, 03:11 AM
hm if this was to happen, guess i'll be a happy champ picking up iPhone 4 for 100 bucks. :D

Mr. Gates
Jul 5, 2011, 03:13 AM
I'm happy with the screen size, I don't want a 4" screen, just more of it to break when it inevitably falls/gets sat on etc, I have an iPad for the big screen :p

That's one of the worst arguments I have ever heard against a bigger screen.

If its broke its broke.

More screen and its more broke???

You can't be serious. You feel at some time your just going to HAVE to break your iPhone? Hmmmm?

Trust me if you get a 4.5 inch iPhone ,..you will love it.

...How long til you expect to break your iPad?

frankk
Jul 5, 2011, 03:14 AM

I may be wrong but I really can't see this would be a value adder, at least for me.

MonkeySee....
Jul 5, 2011, 03:20 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

not lighter? no bigger screen? after owning 3 iphone generations samsung here i come. i have to say many people who previously owned a iPhone r jumping ship. my iphone 4 feels like a 2 year old phone compared to the now sold out galaxy s 2

The people i know who have "jumped ship" have already jumped back.

Guy at work has the Galaxy s2 and it looks like a mini tablet. Far too big and not pleasing the eye.

Plus i'd take retina display over their ridiculous screen. What did they do, turn the contrast and colour all they way up?

Lennholm
Jul 5, 2011, 03:21 AM
Ok, time for me to start a rumour based on... well, it's a rumour, I need no basis.

It will come with 4G, 2 SIM card slots, a Micro-SD slot and, why not... like macs can now install windows, you can also install android or the windows for mobile os thingy on the iphone 5.

3 and 4 sim card slots will be saved for future marketing purposes, i mean, a feature they will work hard to release in the next few versions.

I would love 2 SIM card slots, would allow me to replace the crappy dual-SIM Samsung (worst phone I've ever used) my work gave me

Missfortune
Jul 5, 2011, 03:29 AM
Can't wait to see what it is :D

MonkeySee....
Jul 5, 2011, 03:35 AM

When this happens, Pigs will fly.

This will never ever happen.

vodouman
Jul 5, 2011, 03:39 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I had the original iPhone, the 3G and when my contract ran out for the 3G I didn't see the point in upgrading to the 3GS so I thought I'd try something different. I got an HTC HD2 - the worst phone I have ever had and suffered with it for 2 years. My contract ran out on 1st July.

I don't know whether to wait for the iPhone 5 or get an HTC Sensation.

Any sensation users who are a fan of iOS that could give any relevant feedback of their comparisons?

iMacian
Jul 5, 2011, 03:42 AM
Here is an idea: Pegatron makes the cheap, almost unchanged version and Foxconn, with their years of manufacturing experience, make the standard, improved, top end model.

KnightWRX
Jul 5, 2011, 04:10 AM
A5 + more RAM + 8 MP camera with Sony optics/sensor in the same package will be a huge upgrade from the current iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 was mostly the 3GS with a mhz bump in a new case with more pixels to push, not worth it for 3GS owners (at least, I didn't think it was worth it).

beangibbs
Jul 5, 2011, 04:26 AM

The Galaxy S2 Super will be out soon. It's so light because they filled the empty space in it with helium. It multi-tasks, plays games, has a multi-million pixel display, and an eternal battery life. It also gives blow jobs.

[note extreme sarcasm and dry humor]

On that note...Jesus Christ. It's just a phone.

stringent
Jul 5, 2011, 04:34 AM
TBH I'd upgrade if the camera was better. I use my phone a lot for snaps (its handy, if I KNOW I need a decent camera then I'll lug my D90 around) so it would be a welcome thing. The camera on the SGS2 is lovely, and I think the iPhone 5 would benefit from it. Not sold on Sony optics, but probably a darn sight better than whats in the iPhone 4 now.

RobertMartens
Jul 5, 2011, 04:44 AM
Is this picture of Steve Jobs in front of the word iPhone 5 from somewhere or is MacRumors now using photoshop for its news stories?

HiRez
Jul 5, 2011, 04:46 AM
Stop parroting the same old bs. Look at the Galaxy S2, nothing cheap or plastic about it. And I don't see how iPhone battery life is any better, neither an Android phone nor iPhone comes close to my SonyEricsson K750i that holds a charge for 1.5 weeks.

Also a "dumb" phone (by today's standards) with a small, low-resolution, 18-bit, non-touchable screen, and is more than twice as thick as the iPhone 4. Not really a relevant comparison. The Amazon Kindle has vastly superior battery life to an iPad, but since you can't do most of the same things with them, what's the point of comparing them?

acidfast7
Jul 5, 2011, 04:51 AM
Also a "dumb" phone (by today's standards) with a small, low-resolution, 18-bit, non-touchable screen, and is more than twice as thick as the iPhone 4. Not really a relevant comparison. The Amazon Kindle has vastly superior battery life to an iPad, but since you can't do most of the same things with them, what's the point of comparing them?

eInk is beautiful, honestly, I would never compare a Kindle and iPad.

Nordichund
Jul 5, 2011, 04:52 AM
I love my iPhone 4, as long as it does not break or I lose it then I'm waiting for iPhone number 6. Hopefully 4G technology will be more established by then and the phone's camera will be even better than the 5's.

As the technology gets better I'm finding I'm making less phone calls, especially to friends. Don't know whether that is a good or a bad thing.

AppleInLVX
Jul 5, 2011, 05:05 AM
My prediction:

Same screen as iPhone 4
A5 like the iPad 2
Upgraded camera
Capacity bump to 64 GB

Seriously, if this is it, I'm sold. A refinement more to perfect an already excellent design is the time to buy, IMO.

ThomasJL
Jul 5, 2011, 05:09 AM
Let's not forgot the free bumper policy c. July 2010, bet your ass there will be hardware changes.

I truly hope so, but I wouldn't bet on it. Apparently, Apple didn't learn from Antennagate for two reasons:

1) Apple never fixed the issue on subsequently manufactured GSM iPhone 4 models.

2) The same antenna issue exists on the CDMA iPhone 4 that was manufactured for Verizon nearly half a year after Antennagate. Consumer Reports tests proved it: http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2011/02/verizon-iphone-4-reception-problems-consumer-reports-lab-test.html

HiRez
Jul 5, 2011, 05:12 AM
eInk is beautiful, honestly, I would never compare a Kindle and iPad.

No doubt, but let me know when I can run Angry Birds, RealRacing HD, Pages, Keynote, Netflix, and GarageBand on my Kindle. You might not find the reading experience as nice on the iPad, but at least you can do it (also try reading in the dark on a Kindle).

Apparently, Apple didn't learn from Antennagate for two reasons:

1) Apple never fixed the issue on subsequently manufactured GSM iPhone 4 models.

2) The same antenna issue exists on the CDMA iPhone 4 that was manufactured for Verizon nearly half a year after Antennagate. Consumer Reports tests proved it: http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2011/02/verizon-iphone-4-reception-problems-consumer-reports-lab-test.html

In the end, it's only when people stop buying their products that they will need to change something. Apparently not many people care because they're still buying them in droves. Other than from Consumer Reports, where is the outcry? If it was really that big of an issue, they wouldn't be selling.

Fraaaa
Jul 5, 2011, 05:17 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Kinda funny you said that. I did just that. I sold my iPhone 4. Then got the Galaxy S II import. Then I realized my mistake in abandoning iOS. So I sold it and bought an iPad 2. I am using an old 3GS until the iPhone 5 hits.

My girlfriend recently got a Galaxy S II just because she had to renew the contract and they were giving a free phone with it. She has been complaining about how un-intuitive android is and that she had to check on the internet to understand how to do some basic stuff. However coming from iOS I think is plausible to find a new OS quite inconvinient. She loves the fact that the screen is big but hates the battery life; she also says that the phone actually don't charge if you are using it while plugged. :?

PS: We both are waiting for the new iPhone so I upgrade and she gets my iPhone4.

AppleInLVX
Jul 5, 2011, 05:17 AM
(also try reading in the dark on a Kindle).

I've never understood this argument. Turn on a light. Even a little book light is more than enough. In my opinion, it's more pleasant to have the item you're looking at lit from the outside, not glowing from the inside. With the exception of the various incarnations of computer or television related screens, that's what human eyes are used to doing. Not saying the iPad isn't superior from a strictly multi-use perspective--of course it is. For nothing but reading though, there's seriously no contest.

DamoTheBrave
Jul 5, 2011, 05:32 AM
I actually feel upset if this is true. I mean I think the iPhone would be perfect if they added led light on front, 3.7" screen, redesigned antenna, thinner, better camera, faster ram, and that's it. No matter what I'll be upgrading, but I'll get the white instead since I've had a black 3GS and black 4. I know my older sister will be extremely excited and shocked when she gets the iPhone 5 cause she's coming from the 3G and doesn't have any iOS 4/5 goodness.

What would be the point of an upgrade from a 3.5" screen to a 3.7" screen?? The one and only feature Android phones have that actually makes me think twice is screens of up to 4.3". I was playing with a Sony Android phone and whilst it left me wanting a shower there is no doubt the screen size felt like a breath of fresh air. Anything below 4" is a pointless upgrade and I'll stick with what I've got.

WillEH
Jul 5, 2011, 05:36 AM
Glad I signed up for a 24 month contract. Meant I got the phone cheaper, and with nothing to upgrade to glad it paid off.

But we don't know for sure if the iPhone 5 will not be very different. It's wishful thinking for people who are stuck with iPhone 4 for the next year or 2. But what if it's very different from iPhone 4?

Popeye206
Jul 5, 2011, 05:37 AM
That's one of the worst arguments I have ever heard against a bigger screen.

If its broke its broke.

More screen and its more broke???

You can't be serious. You feel at some time your just going to HAVE to break your iPhone? Hmmmm?

...How long til you expect to break your iPad?

4.5 inch screen? No thank you. That would mean a bigger phone and the size is perfect now. Fits in the hand well and more important, fits in my pocket now.

kyip87
Jul 5, 2011, 05:57 AM

Doesn't matter if they make it good or not, people are still gonna buy it. Apple has got their marketing locked down

The iphone 4 is a perfect example. When it first came out, there were quite a few problems with it, people were saying the glass was shattering and was not as strong as advertised, the "antennagate" issue, so much negative press about it with recommendations from consumer reports and tech reviews telling people not to buy it and it ended up being the best selling iphone. Apple knows they just need to replace the "4" with a "5" and people will still line up for it.

mdriftmeyer
Jul 5, 2011, 05:58 AM

It'll have iOS 5 which the 3GS won't.

croooow
Jul 5, 2011, 06:00 AM
Apple Orders 15 Million iPhone 5s (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/05/apple-orders-15-million-iphone-5s-shipping-begins-in-september/)

I wonder if Apple had issues getting through to the web site to place the order. I only ordered one iPhone 4 and had to keep trying for a while.:rolleyes:

Warbrain
Jul 5, 2011, 06:01 AM
I truly hope so, but I wouldn't bet on it. Apparently, Apple didn't learn from Antennagate for two reasons:

This is because there isn't a problem.

It already does and will.

vodouman
Jul 5, 2011, 06:06 AM
Get the sensation its a much better phone.

Any particular reason? Have you been an iOS user in the past?

McBeats
Jul 5, 2011, 06:12 AM
i hope it does maintain the same kind of design, as it wouldn't make the previous yr's owners feel out of date.

Party Time....

Burger King
Jul 5, 2011, 06:12 AM
4.5 inch screen? No thank you. That would mean a bigger phone and the size is perfect now. Fits in the hand well and more important, fits in my pocket now.

+1

One of the things that helped the BlackBerry take off was the fact that you could operate the keyboard with one hand. To me this is also a + for the Iphone. Yes a little larger screen might be nice but if I MUST use 2 hands to operate it then it will lose points with many people.

Lunarstone
Jul 5, 2011, 06:17 AM
What? Ok... That's sad since I just got my first iPhone; an iPhone 4. Only for 1 week.

lupuss
Jul 5, 2011, 06:24 AM
lol

nay, wait for iphone X and call your great-grandchildren if your voice is still audible:D

djuzi05
Jul 5, 2011, 06:25 AM
What? Ok... That's sad since I just got my first iPhone; an iPhone 4. Only for 1 week.
What's more sad is that you're a member of this forum and didn't once hear about a new iPhone being launched in September :rolleyes:

Sweetfeld28
Jul 5, 2011, 06:27 AM
It bettered have LTE support.

BlindMellon
Jul 5, 2011, 06:28 AM
My prediction:

Same screen as iPhone 4
A5 like the iPad 2
Upgraded camera
Capacity bump to 64 GB
This is probably pretty accurate. Unless you're a serious (iPhone) gamer and need the extra storage, there's really very little need for your average iPhone 4 user to upgrade.

People won't care if there are no updates at all, just call it an iPhone 5 and they will be lined up days in advance to buy one. Even if they took features away it would still sell in record numbers.
Truer than you may realize.

This is because there isn't a(n antenna) problem.

Links please? There most certainly is an issue. Just because it doesn't affect you personally, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

unlinked
Jul 5, 2011, 06:35 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I had the original iPhone, the 3G and when my contract ran out for the 3G I didn't see the point in upgrading to the 3GS so I thought I'd try something different. I got an HTC HD2 - the worst phone I have ever had and suffered with it for 2 years. My contract ran out on 1st July.

Any sensation users who are a fan of iOS that could give any relevant feedback of their comparisons?

It is supposed to be quite easy to install Android on the HD2. A couple of people I know have and say Android runs a lot better on it than Windows ever did. That way you can dip your toe into Android and get a feel for it yourself.

fertilized-egg
Jul 5, 2011, 06:44 AM
What would be the point of an upgrade from a 3.5" screen to a 3.7" screen?? ... Anything below 4" is a pointless upgrade and I'll stick with what I've got.

Because a 3.7" iPhone screen will be wider than a 4" Android due to the aspect ratio difference. The current 3.5" display is about as wide as the Android 4" screen already. Usually speaking, the display width is where the usability is determined, not length, which is more important for movies.

davelanger
Jul 5, 2011, 06:45 AM
If make it faster and more powerful and make the back metal or plastic instead of glass ill be happy. I am upgrading regardless since I am on the 3g so it will be a huge upgrade for most of us. I mean all these people complaining are spoiled, you shouldn't be upgrading your phone every year anyways.

Jimrod
Jul 5, 2011, 06:46 AM
Links please? There most certainly is an issue. Just because it doesn't affect you personally, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I'll gladly link to proof it is a problem - this is my iPhone 4, it's a real issue, I didn't trade it in due to contract tie-in issues but I still have to be very aware of how I hold it when I'm on a call - I got the free bumper but don't use it as I don't like it in my pocket with that on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTtpDo7Mefw

iMacDave
Jul 5, 2011, 06:58 AM
I wish people would be more specific when they make these statements. The phrase "to case design" should have followed "no major upgrade". I know that if car reviewers commented that no major upgrade meant that the exterior was the same but the engine had twice as much horsepower for the same price, I'd be buying one asap!

waldobushman
Jul 5, 2011, 07:01 AM
An iPhone 5 with no major changes from iPhone 4? No way?

Hattig
Jul 5, 2011, 07:01 AM

The low-end devices like the Wildfire, sure. The high end devices aren't cheap, have good battery lives, and make a 3GS look like a fat old-tech bit of cruft. The 3GS should be competing in price with the Wildfires of this world, not the Galaxy S's. I'll stick with this dual-core 1.2GHz Android phone - I got annoyed with waiting for Apple to update.

the vj
Jul 5, 2011, 07:02 AM
This would be my first iPhone. I have a blackberry and it does not work as I would expect. The navigation of the iPhone is way better but I have been holding on for a very good iPhone. With Apple you need to take your time until they release a good revision.

carmenodie
Jul 5, 2011, 07:02 AM
It's amazing.

I agree. I have the iphone 4 and it is a freaking beast. understated, powerful and eloquent. And the pictures on it are better than a $500.00 soy cyber shot I tested over at best Buy a few month ago. And the video quality is effing superb. Man, 16 years ago you would have had to spend $1900.00 on a decent sony handi cam for recording video on the go. And the quality was sh** too.
But the iphone 4 gives quality on par with video from the news station. Damn!

jackc
Jul 5, 2011, 07:09 AM
hm if this was to happen, guess i'll be a happy champ picking up iPhone 4 for 100 bucks. :D

I picked up a nice refurbished one last month for $100 (with contract of course)

tann
Jul 5, 2011, 07:12 AM
My prediction:

Same screen as iPhone 4
A5 like the iPad 2
Upgraded camera
Capacity bump to 64 GB

I think this is pretty close (if not bang on) what it'll be.
I'd be happy with it, this would be my first iPhone and the A5, upgraded camera and possibility of 64GBs of storage would be awesome!

Thunderhawks
Jul 5, 2011, 07:14 AM
Bummer.

Same design.

Not a world phone.

What else do you expect in a smartphone design?

Best designs have form following function, which the current design does.

Improvements have to be antenna, battery if possible, processor, GB increase.

Already a big list.

Size? I like the size the way it is and so will 15 million others in September.

Those who don't like the iphone now have plenty of options with all the copy cats being out there.

ChrisTX
Jul 5, 2011, 07:15 AM

Granted I came from a regular 3G on launch day, I thought the iPhone 4 was a fairly hefty upgrade.

ECUpirate44
Jul 5, 2011, 07:16 AM
Introducing the iPhone 4S, now faster and better than ever featuring the A5 and an 8MP camera.

t0mat0
Jul 5, 2011, 07:21 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

Could they get a Qualcomm radio, but Vroadcomm BCM4330 for BT 4.0 - then make a push into sensors/ NFC.
Could easily add the quantum dot display tech in as well.

Could bump the Ax chip - though the bigger leap for the Imagination Teh and ARM would be next year - explains how iPhone 6 will be a bigger jump as it'll likely get a bigger improvement to the CPU GPU hip ( and OpenCL v1.1 compatible by 2012?)

Here's to sensors wireless tech and the refreshed iPod range too ;)

silentnite
Jul 5, 2011, 07:23 AM
Great news! Please just no more bumpers.:D

Rocketman
Jul 5, 2011, 07:24 AM
Well I'm ready to upgrade, I'm still on the original.Ditto. I am looking forward to the next phone having a faster processor and hopefully support CDMA and GSM of ATT and T-Mobile flavors so I can buy buckets of data from all three and use them according to local reception access.

That would be an upgrade worthy feature set for many users indeed.

It would also facilitate multi-country travel.

Rocketman

840quadra
Jul 5, 2011, 07:24 AM
Is this picture of Steve Jobs in front of the word iPhone 5 from somewhere or is MacRumors now using photoshop for its news stories?

I am not sure if Arn created the photo, or had someone else do it, but yes it is obviously an edit of some kind. That photo of Steve Jobs is likely from 2003 - 2005 judging by his weight and what I can see of his glasses.

Thunderhawks
Jul 5, 2011, 07:25 AM
This would be my first iPhone. I have a blackberry and it does not work as I would expect. The navigation of the iPhone is way better but I have been holding on for a very good iPhone. With Apple you need to take your time until they release a good revision.

Apple since 1984 and I couldn't agree more. 2,400 for a 128k w. 9 inch b/w
only a floppy drive, 2 apps (MacWrite/MacPaint)

What you get now for that money is a miracle and people are still bitching.

By the 3rd version Apple things are usually close enough for me to buy.

Over the years I also developed a sense for their DOA products, Newton, scanner, camera, cube etc.

Bought the 3GS and skipped the 4, because I want more GBs.

Close enough in September to upgrade.

Another Apple experience is IMO to always buy the top model of the line you want. It will last longest and end up at the bottom of that line only many many years later.

Then I wait for about 3 months as it usually gets a speed bump for the same money and has all the kinks worked out.

Patience helps here:-)

NightFox
Jul 5, 2011, 07:25 AM
What's more sad is that you're a member of this forum and didn't once hear about a new iPhone being launched in September :rolleyes:

Sad? Maybe he's just got more to do in his life than visit this forum every other day? And yes, mea culpa before you say anything.

jonnysods
Jul 5, 2011, 07:27 AM
I hope there are hardware changes, my phone drops a lot of calls and I want an updated one. Tried restoring, all that stuff. It just drops calls.

gorgeousninja
Jul 5, 2011, 07:28 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Surely not even a fandroid still thinks that, do they?

Hattig
Jul 5, 2011, 07:29 AM
The people i know who have "jumped ship" have already jumped back.

Guy at work has the Galaxy s2 and it looks like a mini tablet. Far too big and not pleasing the eye.

Plus i'd take retina display over their ridiculous screen. What did they do, turn the contrast and colour all they way up?

iPhone 4: 115.2 x 58.6 x 9.3 mm with a higher-DPI 3.5" screen. Total volume: 62782 mm^2

Samsung Galaxy S II: 125.3 x 66.1 x 8.49mm with a very usable 4.27" screen. Total volume: 70317 mm^3 - 12% larger. Hardly a 'tablet' in comparison. The contrast is high because it's OLED - black is black.

One of these phones can record and playback 1080p video.

Oracle1729
Jul 5, 2011, 07:30 AM
I guess that means a lot of people from this forum won't start camping out in front of Apple stores until late August.

gorgeousninja
Jul 5, 2011, 07:31 AM

Android will have at least 15 million activations in 30 days. :D
Nothing can stop the dominating power of Android.

Whoops, who hasnt been reading the news lately then?

jayducharme
Jul 5, 2011, 07:40 AM
I wonder whether this signals a new iPhone refresh cycle for Apple. I got my first iPhone in July 2008, then the iPhone 4 in July 2010 to coincide with the end of my contract. If Apple shifts to September, then in 2012 I guess I'd be contract-less for two months until I can re-up with the newest iPhone. :confused:

aliensporebomb
Jul 5, 2011, 07:43 AM
It will have a feature that none of the earlier iPhones have and it will be the "thing" that everyone will want.

Dr McKay
Jul 5, 2011, 07:44 AM
Bummer.

Same design.

Not a world phone.

You can bet it'll be slightly different so that none of the existing iPhone 4 goodies work for it :D

shartypants
Jul 5, 2011, 07:45 AM

If Apple did decide to have a 3D display I'm sure it would look incredible (so they may be waiting a looong time).

doctor-don
Jul 5, 2011, 07:45 AM
My prediction:

Same screen as iPhone 4
A5 like the iPad 2
Upgraded camera
Capacity bump to 64 GB

So the only improvements will be the camera resolution and storage.

What happened to including multiple comments for response?:mad:

Tunster
Jul 5, 2011, 07:47 AM
My prediction:

Same screen as iPhone 4
A5 like the iPad 2
Upgraded camera
Capacity bump to 64 GB
I'm just going to reiterate this post as I totally agree with it.

The 4S will be launched in Sept while the iPhone 5 will be promoting 4G next year with a totally new design.

One of these phones can record and playback 1080p video.
Like that's a deal breaker :rolleyes:. I wouldn't say the 4.27" inch screen is so useable for people with smaller hands. That's why Apple packed in more pixels rather than making their phone ridiculously huge.

ah123
Jul 5, 2011, 07:50 AM

iPhone 3GS is getting iOS5.
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/features.html
See the compatibility at the bottom of the page.

KnightWRX
Jul 5, 2011, 07:52 AM
The 4S will be launched in Sept while the iPhone 5 will be promoting 4G next year with a totally new design.

Can we stop claiming Apple will call the 5th generation iPhone "4S" please and call the 6th generation iPhone "5" ?

Chairman Plow
Jul 5, 2011, 07:52 AM

Been there, done that, hated it. Went back to iOS within a month. Had an HTC Inspire. Good, but not better than what I already had.

81Tiger04
Jul 5, 2011, 07:57 AM
In addition to the beefed up insides, it needs a bigger display. Wasn't there a report earlier showing an iPhone 5 with a display that went to the edge?

GoCubsGo
Jul 5, 2011, 07:58 AM
Been there, done that, hated it. Went back to iOS within a month. Had an HTC Inspire. Good, but not better than what I already had.
I was an iPhone owner since the first rev. I loved it but wanted a bit more. Android gave me that though I sacrificed some things. I'll be returning to the iPhone but sticking with Verizon unless VZW tries to force me on their over-priced tiered plan. Whatever it is, a larger display is not what I'd like to see unless they can keep the housing the same size.

nooaah
Jul 5, 2011, 07:59 AM
64GB capacity is the only way I'd upgrade at this point. Or an unbelievable camera.

840quadra
Jul 5, 2011, 08:03 AM
A5 + more RAM + 8 MP camera with Sony optics/sensor in the same package will be a huge upgrade from the current iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 was mostly the 3GS with a mhz bump in a new case with more pixels to push, not worth it for 3GS owners (at least, I didn't think it was worth it).

Opinions aside, the iPhone 4 was a bigger upgrade then you let on about.

New case (granted some don't like, and it does have problems)
HD Video recording
326ppi display at higher resolution utilizing IPS technology
front facing camera
Gyroscope
2nd Mic for noise cancellation
LED Flash / lamp
5 Megapixel camera with backside illuminated sensor
400Mhz faster processor than 3Gs
256mb more memory than 3Gs
more battery capacity & and better life than 3Gs

Opinions included,
The iPhone 4 is by no means the best smartphone out there, perhaps not the best iPhone ever, but it is definetly more than just a speed bumped 3GS in a shiny new case.

If more RAM, faster processor, and a better camera would make the iPhone 5 a Huge upgrade over the iPhone 4, than the iPhone 4 was a Mega-gicantic™ upgrade when compared to the 3Gs.

Hattig
Jul 5, 2011, 08:07 AM
Like that's a deal breaker :rolleyes:. I wouldn't say the 4.27" inch screen is so useable for people with smaller hands. That's why Apple packed in more pixels rather than making their phone ridiculously huge.

I wouldn't say the 3.5" screen is so usable for people with larger hands. That's why Samsung used a larger screen. Also it kills off any need for a tablet under 8" - so Apple really should aim for a larger screen on the iPhone as that would be the quickest way to kill off their iPad competitors using 7" screens.

zombierunner
Jul 5, 2011, 08:08 AM
I am on a 2 year iphone 4 contract anyway .... iphone 6 it is.

Blorzoga
Jul 5, 2011, 08:09 AM
"does not seem..."?

"They" didn't call it iphone5, the rumor calls it iPhone 5.

Blorzoga
Jul 5, 2011, 08:12 AM
I am on a 2 year iphone 4 contract anyway .... iphone 6 it is.

Depends when you got your iPhone 4. I got mine on launch day and I'm eligible for a full discount after about 16 months. And I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T accelerates my eligibility once the updated phone is officially announced.

zedsdead
Jul 5, 2011, 08:13 AM
Depends when you got your iPhone 4. I got mine on launch day and I'm eligible for a full discount after about 16 months. And I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T accelerates my eligibility once the updated phone is officially announced.

ATT has done this for the past few years, so I would imagine that will continue, especially to stop people from switching over the Verizon.

Stok3
Jul 5, 2011, 08:17 AM

Im still hoping for a redesign especially since Apple is on this new releas cycle. It would make sense. Kinda like a. "rebirth". LOL... forgive me I haven't had my coffee yet.

L-U-R-C-H
Jul 5, 2011, 08:19 AM
Why do they keep calling it the iPhone 5? I thought it was rumored that it would be called the 4S... I don't think I'll be upgrading either... All they'll do is make it faster with an 8MP camera...not worth it.

JHankwitz
Jul 5, 2011, 08:22 AM
lol

No No, iPhone 8 will be even better than the 7. Wait for that!
Oops, iPhone 9 will be even better than 8. Wait for that! ...

Sodner
Jul 5, 2011, 08:24 AM
There has to be something major we are not aware of. No way Apple delays the release from June to September to release a iPhone 4s with a faster processor and a better camera. There has got to be something we are un aware of.

buffalo
Jul 5, 2011, 08:26 AM
I'm eligible for an upgrade in a couple weeks, but since my current phone (Droid Incredible) is still doing great, I'll probably wait until September for Apple. Verizon has said Colorado Springs will receive the LTE upgrade by the end of this year, so I'm going to be reluctant to sign a 2-year contract for an iPhone without LTE though. Bummer Verizon got rid of the 1-year contract.

jonnyb
Jul 5, 2011, 08:27 AM
Why do they keep calling it the iPhone 5?

Because it will be the fifth iPhone

Popeye206
Jul 5, 2011, 08:34 AM
There has to be something major we are not aware of. No way Apple delays the release from June to September to release a iPhone 4s with a faster processor and a better camera. There has got to be something we are un aware of.

+1

Seems to me, they have something up their sleeve. Dual band? 4G?

But on the other hand, we're close to a point where what else can you cram into a smart phone? Always room for improvement on speed and memory, but beyond upgrades to existing tech... seems we may be about spec'd out.

I guess we'll see in the coming months and years.

Lesser Evets
Jul 5, 2011, 08:35 AM
...which does not seem to have any major update from iPhone 4...

What exactly does THAT mean? You realize you can drive a truck through that hole in the story?

Any major update to outer design? Hardware? You mean it will be an A4 powered 16GB iPhone? Someone smack DigiTimes, please.

cvaldes
Jul 5, 2011, 08:42 AM
Can we stop claiming Apple will call the 5th generation iPhone "4S" please and call the 6th generation iPhone "5" ?
Correct.

Enough of this iPhone "4S" nonsense.

Steve Jobs will get up on stage and announce "the iPhone 5, with the A5 chip, running iOS 5" because it's simple and we all know how much Steve cares about simplicity. And about a year later, we can expect him to announce "the iPhone 6, with the A6 chip, running iOS 6" just like last year he announced the "iPhone 4, with the A4 chip, running iOS 4."

You guys see a pattern or not?

The iPhone "4S" moniker for the fifth-generation handset is positively ludicrous.

freedevil
Jul 5, 2011, 08:43 AM
The reason for the name change from 4s to 5 is that 4 got a negative review. MobileMe -> iCloud iPhone 4-> 5.

KnightWRX
Jul 5, 2011, 08:47 AM
The iPhone "4S" moniker for the fifth-generation handset is positively ludicrous.

If anything, Apple is going to move to calling them "iPhone" and "iPad" only, just like the iPods and Mac line-ups are.

The reason for the name change from 4s to 5 is that 4 got a negative review. MobileMe -> iCloud iPhone 4-> 5.

No, the reason is there never was an iPhone 4S, that was pure conjecture on the part of blog sites. It never made any sense to begin with and if Apple does release an "iPhone 4S", I will be quite surprised at the sheer non-sense they will have protrayed.

AmpSkillz
Jul 5, 2011, 08:50 AM
I have a feeling they will call it iPhone 5 ( I just can't imagine Steve calling it a 4s while introducing iOS 5)

unlocked world phone, higher capacity, better camera/flash, faster processor, better battery, maybe lighter weight

if I get most of those things it's definitely worth upgrading even if it looks exactly the same, it sounds like so many people on here only think its worth upgrading if it looks different

gadget123
Jul 5, 2011, 08:52 AM
Hope it is the same design.

If it went back to the 3GS style I would get an iPod touch and look elsewhere for a phone.

vartanarsen
Jul 5, 2011, 08:58 AM

3d is the bane of my existence....

The only place in which it should be allowed is an IMAX theater.

ferrous
Jul 5, 2011, 08:59 AM
I love the iPhone, but the dropped calls are making me seriously look at other phones/carriers. If the new iPhone improves on the call quality, I may buy it, otherwise, I will have to look at something else :rolleyes:

carlgo
Jul 5, 2011, 09:02 AM
What about the curved glass cutting machines that Apple supposedly bought?

That would be a huge design update in itself. The middle of the phone could actually be as thick or even thicker, but the edges would be thinner and so the effect would be a more easily pocketed phone that feels better in your hand and looks like no other....and the camera could be less compromised because it would be in the thicker center part.

And then getting a carrier that has reception outside of selected urban centers and charges only for data used. That is what it would take to get me back.

samroberto
Jul 5, 2011, 09:03 AM

I love my 3GS design as it fits perfectly in my hand, I hope some smooth curves are reintroduced.

64 gig... Please... I'm desperate apple. I've been tortured by this 29.3gb for years..

RonD69
Jul 5, 2011, 09:03 AM

Wow! And here I thought I was the last holdout; I'm on the iPhone 3G, and it's on its last leg.

DroidRules
Jul 5, 2011, 09:05 AM
I might see if I can pick up a cheap iPhone 4 for the missus when all the sheep list them on eBay in anticipation for the iPhone 4S...

This kind of crap attitude yanks my junk. Just because I upgrade every year (becaue I can and don't need to look on ebay for a cheap alternative to do so) How exactly does that make me a sheep? I do what I want with my money, not what you think I should do and certainly not what apple wants me to do. Drop the holier than thou attitude and don't worry what others do with their hard earned money.

Trust me, no I won't.

PatrickCocoa
Jul 5, 2011, 09:05 AM
No No, iPhone 8 will be even better than the 7. Wait for that!
Oops, iPhone 9 will be even better than 8. Wait for that! ...

No, the upgrade from iPhone 7 will be iPhone X (pronounced "ten"). It will remove the ability to multitask, access the internet, and make phone calls. But it will have a great new way of ordering the voice mails you receive via a "magnetic voice mail timeline".

PatrickCocoa
Jul 5, 2011, 09:11 AM
This kind of crap attitude yanks my junk. Just because I upgrade every year (becaue I can and don't need to look on ebay for a cheap alternative to do so) How exactly does that make me a sheep? I do what I want with my money, not what you think I should do and certainly not what apple wants me to do. Drop the holier than thou attitude and don't worry what others do with their hard earned money.

You also missed redmamoth's casual misogyny, where he implies that the phone suitable for the iSheep is the best phone for "the missus". Whereas he, with his penis and testicles, can handle a Droid.

hcho3
Jul 5, 2011, 09:12 AM
So, apple is going to wait until September to release new iphone and all we are going to get is A5 processor and 8 megapixel Camera?

BS.

We need more than that.

Lennholm
Jul 5, 2011, 09:12 AM
Introducing the iPhone 4S, now faster and better than ever featuring the A5 and an 8MP camera.

That ugly black stripe on the side just has to go, seriously. No way I'll even consider getting one as long as that is there

Lennholm
Jul 5, 2011, 09:15 AM

I've already explained this, it's silly to accuse certain Android phones for having bad battery life when iPhone is not much better, if better at all even

My point is that both Android phones and iPhone have crappy battery life

skydivingcoach
Jul 5, 2011, 09:16 AM

3D is a a bag of hurt.

PCClone
Jul 5, 2011, 09:17 AM

I doubt you have a pulse on the smartphone market. Sounds like you know 10 iPhone users and two moved so you now claim many users Re jumping ship.

Zulithe
Jul 5, 2011, 09:17 AM
My current phone is a 3GS which I've had since launch day, in 2011 terms my phone is ANCIENT! With Apple having 15 months to get things together instead of the usual 12, I expect something a little more substantially updated... but if not, that Samsung Galaxy S II sure is looking nice (that is, if it ever reaches US shores... sigh)

It has been so painful watching everyone walking around with their shiny iPhone 4s for the last year. I can hardly stand to wait any longer! Show us that iPhone 5, Stevie boy :)

mdesbiens
Jul 5, 2011, 09:18 AM
Cheap plastic crap?

1. Not all android phones are cheap.

2. Is plastic always crap? What about 3G/3GS/Macbooks that are made of plastic? Are you talking about the revolutionary Apple plastic?

Just let it go - There are great android phones out there. The software maybe crap in most of them.

The MacBooks are crap. While a ~$1000 laptop at the low end may be feasible for Apple, outdated hardware and the cheap plastic case likely keep many potential switchers buying premium Windows machines at the same price point. The macbook hurts the brand. The 13" macbook pro should have kept the macbook name and sold for $1000, with the plastic one dropped from the line, which was probably the plan in the first place.

Anyway, every Android-loaded phone I've held feels like a cheap iPhone knockoff... which, unfortunately, is what they all are. The only reason Google is in the game is because they got in early, offer a comperable (on-paper) product, and offer free software to manufacturers. Eric Schmidt is a corporate spy, remember... he knew about iPhone OS when we were still talking about Newtons.

Funny that Apple let spies make cheap knockoff products again... considering why they are seen as an underdog in the first place.

cvaldes
Jul 5, 2011, 09:20 AM
The white iBook/MacBook is by far the best selling model of notebook that Apple has ever put out and it still widely used in educational (K-12) markets.

No reason to kill off such a profitable product. My MacBook (Core 2 Duo model from late 2006) is still chugging along nicely even though it is no longer my primary system (last year's Mac mini).

skydivingcoach
Jul 5, 2011, 09:20 AM
You also missed redmamoth's casual misogyny, where he implies that the phone suitable for the iSheep is the best phone for "the missus". Whereas he, with his penis and testicles, can handle a Droid.

Does this not make him a sheep too if he always buys the second to latest phone for "the missus" a year after? I think it makes him an outdated cheap sheep. Patrick Cocoa..."beat it nerd!"

PCClone
Jul 5, 2011, 09:21 AM
I've already explained this, it's silly to accuse certain Android phones for having bad battery life when iPhone is not much better, if better at all even

I take it you never used a Samsung Vibrant. To get 6 hours, you have to shut off wifi and barely use it. The phone battery just plain sucks.

Thunderhawks
Jul 5, 2011, 09:25 AM
I will be quite surprised at the cheer non-sense they will have protrayed.

On MR we "cheer" for any Apple nonsense...well some do:-)

stevensr123
Jul 5, 2011, 09:31 AM
I fully expect it to have the same design but more ram,same insides and specs as the ipad 2 and nothing else. i doubt its go going to be revolutionary, that was the iphone 4, they will most likely improve the iphone 4 thus making it the 4gs and make the next big one the iphone 5.

If it happens and people don't like it and expect more, simply don't buy and move to android or keep the iphone 4.

dvoros
Jul 5, 2011, 09:31 AM
If this is true and the next release of the iPhone is simply an iPhone 4 that is stamped iPhone 5 on the package, then its off to Android phones I go. Is this the best Apple can deliver after all this time?:mad:

Cod3rror
Jul 5, 2011, 09:34 AM

It'll be like those gorillas in Congo jumping into the volcano.

My prediction:

Same screen as iPhone 4
A5 like the iPad 2
Upgraded camera
Capacity bump to 64 GB

Add a gig of RAM and a 2MP front camera and you've got a very nice upgrade there.

tigress666
Jul 5, 2011, 09:44 AM
I've never understood this argument. Turn on a light. Even a little book light is more than enough. In my opinion, it's more pleasant to have the item you're looking at lit from the outside, not glowing from the inside. With the exception of the various incarnations of computer or television related screens, that's what human eyes are used to doing. Not saying the iPad isn't superior from a strictly multi-use perspective--of course it is. For nothing but reading though, there's seriously no contest.

I use my iphone as an ebook reader and I have no plans on buying a Kindle, but I do have to agree that it is much nicer reading with the light on, even if I can read in the dark (it's a lot easier on your eyes. I read before I go to sleep and I still keep my bedside lamp on).

On the other hand, one could argue that most likely my little bedside lamp probably wouldn't be enough light to comfortably read paper but is enough to not feel like you are staring at a bright light when your eyes are used to the dark (Cause the rest of the room is dark).

But, I will say at least it is an option if I didn't have a light source unlike the Kindle. And I personally like that I can easily hold my device and change pages with one hand (though that's simply a function of size that even the ipad can't really compete with. The Kindle is better than the ipad in that it is at least lighter so easier to hold with one hand).

nickdelvecchio
Jul 5, 2011, 09:46 AM
I'll gladly link to proof it is a problem - this is my iPhone 4, it's a real issue, I didn't trade it in due to contract tie-in issues but I still have to be very aware of how I hold it when I'm on a call - I got the free bumper but don't use it as I don't like it in my pocket with that on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTtpDo7Mefw

I have a verizon iphone and since they re-designed the antenna for it, I have not been able to replicate these problems. never had a dropped call and i have tried.

Kwill
Jul 5, 2011, 09:53 AM
I hope the screen is as large as the iPad. :)

So the radically revamped curved-glass, iPhone 4-identical, speed bump is finally confirmed. (Perhaps the curved glass is a software upgrade.)

itechtiger
Jul 5, 2011, 09:59 AM
Yea, I hope its a pretty overhaul of the design because if its just internal changes im not upgrading. :p

dashtekahe
Jul 5, 2011, 10:00 AM
I cross my fingers to buy an iPhone when iPhone 10 is released:apple:

aristotle
Jul 5, 2011, 10:04 AM
My prediction:

Same screen as iPhone 4
A5 like the iPad 2
Upgraded camera
Capacity bump to 64 GB
My prediction. No Verizon specific model.

I predict that Apple will ship a GSM/HSPA+/CDMA iPhone 5 which can be programmed at the store with a special version of iTunes to any CDMA carrier supported by Apple but will remain locked to that carrier and any related SIM used for "world phone" functionality. They will also ship an "unlocked" version that can be programmed to any CDMA carrier at a store but can also accept any SIM which would automatically override the CDMA programming and use that SIM instead if a compatible network is available in the area.

They might even ship one model that is a "world phone" to both CDMA and GSM carriers which simply ignores the CDMA portion of the phone if you activate it with a micro sim. Apple could ship unlocked versions and versions that are neither unlocked or locked but become locked to the carrier when you insert a SIM to activate them. After that point, any future restores and reactivations would be locked to that carrier.

mjstaceyuofm
Jul 5, 2011, 10:07 AM
Apple released the iPad 2 in a pretty quick timeframe after the iPad came out and without a ton of internal changes, but yet had time to redesign the outer shell, cram more on the inside of it and develop an integrated cover. With 15 months, I can easily see Apple modifying the outer shell and adopting the internal changes everyone keeps re-iterating.

There's a history here. You just have to study history.

Thunderhawks
Jul 5, 2011, 10:18 AM
Yea, I hope its a pretty overhaul of the design because if its just internal changes im not upgrading. :p

NEWSFLASH to all the whiners (doesn't have this, doesn't have that.)

This is how a consumer life works:

A company puts out a product. You check, you like, you buy!
Product works well = Happiness!

A company puts out a product. You check, you don't like (or don't like anymore), you find something better you like. You buy!
Product works well = Happiness.

Where is the problem?

Jimrod
Jul 5, 2011, 10:22 AM
I have a verizon iphone and since they re-designed the antenna for it, I have not been able to replicate these problems. never had a dropped call and i have tried.

I've noticed it's only a problem on 3G - so much so that I never use 3G if I can help it. The antenna problem doesn't appear on GSM.

rdstoll
Jul 5, 2011, 10:24 AM
Ouch. So while the rest of the phone industry innovates Apple will be sitting out there with a 15 month old product come September with only a marginal upgrade in capabilities for the iPhone 5? Slipping....

Ping Guo
Jul 5, 2011, 10:27 AM
I'm predicting this is related to Tim Cook's visit to China Mobile a couple weeks ago. These are China Mobile network TD-SCDMA iPhone 4s intended for the mainland market.

DJinTX
Jul 5, 2011, 10:28 AM

Nah, only a few will jump ship. People who are completely impatient, or flaky with their purchases. And lets not forget the spec-whores. If any of those people jump ship, then that just leaves more room on the ship for the rest of us. Sounds pretty good actually.

As for the countless number of people who in the last 2-3 years jumped on the Apple bandwagon for the wrong reasons (like my wife's Aunt and a couple of friends of mine), you all need to get off the wagon. Switch to Android, please! You NEVER should have gotten an iPhone. You don't understand how it works, and you refuse to learn how to use it in the right way. You behave like someone with multiple personality disorder...one minute bragging about your cool iPhone and how wonderful it makes you for being "in the loop", and the next minute crying and complaining because the phone isn't perfect.

ryan2714
Jul 5, 2011, 10:31 AM
My predictions:

iPhone 4 look with metal back plate instead of glass
8MP camera
A5 1GHz dual-core processor
2.0MP front camera
dual flash
1GB RAM
32GB/64GB HDD
3G/2G no LTE
thinner body

wovel
Jul 5, 2011, 10:33 AM

Android Battery life only seems similar because there is not actually anything to do on the phone. If you used it as much as an iPhone user , you rbattery life would suffer.

Huh? The S2 is not sold here at all. I suspect it may never be sold here. They sold 3 million phones in 4 months internationally. That is respectable, maybe even good, but it is not all that exciting.

My HTC Desire is niether cheap or plastic and the battery outlasts my girlfriends 3gs every day. Oh, and I have an iPad 2 before you call me anti-apple etc...

I agree it is expensive for what you get. Blows away your girlfriends over two year old phone? Woah. Actually the battery thing is that her two year old phone can do more then your new one...

Hexiii
Jul 5, 2011, 10:38 AM
I would like to see it redesigned. The current design is just awesome and no other phone on the market looks better, but if Apple redesign the iPhone, it means that it will look better.

nburwell
Jul 5, 2011, 10:41 AM

Couldn't of said it any better myself. The day Apple makes a 3D only phone will also be the day I jump ship to Android.

Alchematron
Jul 5, 2011, 10:42 AM
If the screen size is not increased to 4" or more then it will be a major FAIL:mad:

GQB

Very few will jump.
Most people are more mature than to switch phones monthly because another one came out with some hot new narrow feature.
Only childish nerds do that.

paradox00
I always find it amusing that people are more concerned with the appearance of the phone than its functionality or internals.

The processor is going from single core A4 (cortex A8 based) to a dual core A5 (cortex A9 based) processor, getting a massive bump in graphical capabilities, likely an improved camera, and possibly a larger screen (within the same form factor), yet it won't be a "major" upgrade unless the external design changes... how superficial are you guys?

GorgonPhone
Jul 5, 2011, 10:45 AM
A few minor redesigns and a hardware spec bump is about what I expected.
It's not like there's likely to be a radical redesign every generation.

well they need to call it the 4s... and if the screen is still small ii will skip it and keep my 4 that works just fine..

GorgonPhone
Jul 5, 2011, 10:46 AM
I always find it amusing that people are more concerned with the appearance of the phone than its functionality or internals.

The processor is going from single core A4 (cortex A8 based) to a dual core A5 (cortex A9 based) processor, getting a massive bump in graphical capabilities, likely an improved camera, and possibly a larger screen (within the same form factor), yet it won't be a "major" upgrade unless the external design changes... how superficial are you guys?

^^ok so why are they keeping the same tiny screen??? more power but tiny screen.. thats like adding 500hp to a car but not upgrading the damn wheels and tires.. i will keep my iphone 4

GorgonPhone
Jul 5, 2011, 10:48 AM
My predictions:

iPhone 4 look with metal back plate instead of glass
8MP camera
A5 1GHz dual-core processor
2.0MP front camera
dual flash
1GB RAM
32GB/64GB HDD
3G/2G no LTE
thinner body

all i want is a bigger screen.. :(

ESPN
Jul 5, 2011, 10:52 AM
When this happens, Pigs will fly.

This will never ever happen.

It is already happening, if you are jailbroken, you can get an android interface or windows 7 mobile and you can change between them. If would only be a matter of time before whole operating systems will work.

paradox00
Jul 5, 2011, 10:52 AM
^^ok so why are they keeping the same tiny screen??? more power but tiny screen.. thats like adding 500hp to a car but not upgrading the damn wheels and tires.. i will keep my iphone 4

Why are you posting in bold? Did you read my post? Didn't I say they might be adding a larger screen? That's what the rumors are saying...

Personally, I don't want a larger screen if it means a larger phone. I'm all for a larger screen in the same form factor though. Keep your iPhone 4 if you want.

ipoppy
Jul 5, 2011, 10:55 AM
They really should sort out iCloud before start selling new iphone which will be significant part of whole system. As far as I see it iCloud is a mess.

cvaldes
Jul 5, 2011, 10:58 AM
I would like to see it redesigned. The current design is just awesome and no other phone on the market looks better, but if Apple redesign the iPhone, it means that it will look better.
Unlikely this year.

When Steve announced the iPhone 4, he also introduced the engineering team that spent eighteen months behind the new handset. It is very likely that Apple has a product roadmap detailing when the major redesigns occur.

Based on the time and estimated R&D costs, it is likely that Apple fully intended from the start that the current design would be the basis of at least two generations of handsets (4th gen iPhone 4, plus 5th generation handset yet to be released), to maximize the ROI from their development efforts.

Note that even an older design such as the iPhone 3GS is still competitive. The iPhone 3GS still outsells most Android smartphones.

Reach9
Jul 5, 2011, 10:58 AM
After over 1+ year in development. Apple is expected to give us only an internal upgrade? (i know how important internals are), but not to change the design is just Apple showing how arrogant they are. I really hope they fix the 'antennagate' issue, and at least have a rounded back for the iPhone 5. I'm so sick and tired of the sharp edged phone, it's ergonomically bad.

Carouser
Jul 5, 2011, 11:00 AM

Or maybe it's like adding 500hp to a car while keeping it the same weight.
Or maybe it's like adding 500hp to a car while not adding a third row of unnecessary seating.
Or maybe it's like adding 500hp to a car while keeping everything else, including the cost the same. Oh no!

:caranalogy:

(lol @ adding 500hp to a car in one fell swoop)

seamuskrat
Jul 5, 2011, 11:04 AM
There are a lot of people saying other phones (running Android) are beetr, especially hardware.

Please quantify this. What makes them beter.

Specs alone? Certain key features? I am curious. I have seen a number of Android phones, and while some have 1 or 2 features I like better, it would take half a dozen different phones to equal the well rounded package of an iphone.

Most users are not buying phones based on specs. So more megapixels in a camera does not equate sales, not even better photos. Etc.

I am truly interested to know what is lacking?

I know some phones are on 4G and I in fact use one for work on Verizon. In the greater NY Metro area I can say it is over rated. Coverage is spotty. Speed varies and battery life is abyssmal. That said, when it works its fast. I still must rely on my iPhone 4 to back me up as my work phone has died attempting to connect to 4G in NJ.

Pretend a new phone buyer was here on the forums- what makes these other phones better? Betetr enough to give up iOS? Even more so, a reverse switcher with an established investment in the iOS ecosystem.

ssk2
Jul 5, 2011, 11:06 AM
Very few will jump.
Most people are more mature than to switch phones monthly because another one came out with some hot new narrow feature.

Says the person calling people 'nerds' because they want the latest and greatest...

I hadn't switched phones for 2 years, but had to move to an Android after Apple moved their traditional launch schedule. The 3GS was (and is) an incredible phone, but it wasn't working out for me anymore. I don't think I'm a childish nerd because of this.

Carouser
Jul 5, 2011, 11:09 AM
I hadn't switched phones for 2 years, but had to move to an Android after Apple moved their traditional launch schedule. The 3GS was (and is) an incredible phone, but it wasn't working out for me anymore. I don't think I'm a childish nerd because of this.

'switching phones once in 2 years because Apple moved their traditional launch schedule' != 'switching phones monthly because of some hot new narrow feature', therefore you are not in the childish nerd category because of this.

Zimmy68
Jul 5, 2011, 11:10 AM
Ho hum, an iPhone4 with an A5 and a little better camera.

It wouldn't be such a crushing disappointment if they announced and shipped this dud in June.

To twist the knife even more, we are going to delay our non upgrade phone and push back the phone everyone is really waiting for.

MonkeySee....
Jul 5, 2011, 11:11 AM
It is already happening, if you are jailbroken, you can get an android interface or windows 7 mobile and you can change between them. If would only be a matter of time before whole operating systems will work.

I'd say Android and windows phones may interchange etc but there is not way apple will allow Android or any other OS on an iphone.

No way.

JerzeyLegend
Jul 5, 2011, 11:24 AM
Of all the features you guys mentioned, there is one I would like to see that no one is even thinking about.

For it to be built in the United States of America. Where we need jobs the most. With so many different models being made in such high numbers, Apple could eliminate a very large chunk of jobless Americans. No offense to those who currently build them, but it kind of pisses me off to see so many jobless here, yet companies like Apple making a killing on the cheap labor of other countries. America, step up to the damn plate.

brookshanes
Jul 5, 2011, 11:26 AM
This will be a huge update to iPhone. iOS 5 is not the only change. The reason for this is that the iPhone 4 hardware has been proven now, other than the death grip "feature," and every time Apple comes out with a proven model, they use it as a launchpad for the next model.

Apple does not design products to replace problematic products. They use good products to test the next great features. I believe the hardware upgrades will include:

• larger screen size (due to smaller bezel)
• improved antenna (eliminating death grip and WiFi death bar up top of device)
• improved camera
• improved speakers

Just an opine.

Bluefusion
Jul 5, 2011, 11:26 AM

INCREDIBLE. I'm so glad! I don't more than a handful of people who've ever even SEEN an original--and I was a Mac Genius at one of Apple's busiest stores. Not one customer. No one at all except for my trainer in Cupertino (obviously).

ThunderSkunk
Jul 5, 2011, 11:27 AM
Of all the features you guys mentioned, there is one I would like to see that no one is even thinking about.

For it to be built in the United States of America.

Agreed. For as hard as it is for most companies to justify doing the upfront work to produce their goods competitively here, Apple is one of the companies that could afford to make the investment right, and make it work. Light assembly isn't rocket science. They engineer a million more complicated things every year.

aristotle
Jul 5, 2011, 11:33 AM
Says the person calling people 'nerds' because they want the latest and greatest...

Ok then nothing of value was lost. If you are not insanely rich then I assume that you simply were not engaged in the iOS ecosystem if you can so casually switch to an android phone.

If you had paid apps and games and switched then I would say that you had more money than sense. I hate people who waste money like that on a whim.

But a lot of childish nerds who are still living at home have too much disposable income and not enough sense on how to manage it will buy the latest and greatest even if it means throwing away paid apps for a platform.

ThePoach
Jul 5, 2011, 11:34 AM
Why keep the same design? The look is okay but the back scratches easily and the sharp edges doesn't feel so comfortable in the pocket. Bottom line is we all want something new and cool to look at and it would just be smart business to make some changes on the design.. even if they are minor changes.

davelanger
Jul 5, 2011, 11:35 AM
Very few will jump.

Plus most people buy a phone every two years because that is how their contract runs, so iphone 3 and 3g users will be upgrading now and most iphone 4 users will be waiting for the iphone 6.

chrmjenkins
Jul 5, 2011, 11:39 AM
1GB RAM very unlikely. iOS is lighter on RAM usage than Android. Also, A5 would not be a small upgrade. It's considerably faster than the A4, but that isn't apparent because the A4 never really bogs in iOS.

FX4568
Jul 5, 2011, 11:40 AM
FINALLLY SOME ACTUAL RUMORS.
About time. Time to start saving up :DDDDDDDDDD so excited!!!!

bbplayer5
Jul 5, 2011, 11:47 AM

lmao... says the guy with a glass phone that shatters when you drop it.

bbplayer5
Jul 5, 2011, 11:48 AM
Without a bigger screen 4-4.3, the iPhone is just too small.

stevenpa
Jul 5, 2011, 11:51 AM

My E72 lasts a few days with web/email/calls still and it's over a year old. Hardware on apple is always a bit behind, but will probably get the iPhone once it comes out since Symbian is probably the worst software in the world.

It better have 4G and an 8megapixel camera though.

ABadSanta
Jul 5, 2011, 11:52 AM
If there really is "no major update", i suppose it's just going to be an iphone 4, but with two internal antennas for both kinds of networks, some sort of A5 dual core processor like in the Ipad 2, and maybe other small tweaks in the internals.

Not surprised there isn't a significant redesign.

unlinked
Jul 5, 2011, 11:53 AM
lmao... says the guy with a glass phone that shatters when you drop it.

That only happens if you are dropping it wrong.

stevenpa
Jul 5, 2011, 11:55 AM
Depends on what your definition of "major" update is. I'm betting there will be an A5 chip like the iPad has. Add in my likely guess of storage upgrades and I'd say that's some decent stuff.

I think next year will be the next "major" update. There's no way there won't be a 64GB iPhone by then, 4G LTE will be added, and hopefully the devices will work on Verizon and AT&T, maybe even T-Mobile. There will be a plethora of people like me who want to switch to Verizon but can't because they bought an iPhone 4 at its launch and will be getting out of the contract.

No phone is ever built to support CDMA and GSM. So you can't just switch if you have no contract, you need a new iPhone. One reason why Verizon/Sprint is not too feasible if you travel a lot. The world uses GSM.

EDIT: Yes there are some phones that support both networks but no phone is built for both. This post was in response to the poster who wanted to move his iPhone from At&t to Verizon. And having the hardware for both networks but not being able to use it does not really count.

fertilized-egg
Jul 5, 2011, 11:56 AM
Without a bigger screen 4-4.3, the iPhone is just too small.

But the iPhone's 3.5" screen is already about as wide as a 4" Android display because of the different aspect ratio. A 3.7-3.8" iPhone will be wider in width than a 4" Android phone and should be fine in size. You do get extra height with the widescreen aspect ratio but it's arguably much less important than the width in determining usability of a phone.

stevenpa
Jul 5, 2011, 12:06 PM
I agree. I have the iphone 4 and it is a freaking beast. understated, powerful and eloquent. And the pictures on it are better than a $500.00 soy cyber shot I tested over at best Buy a few month ago. And the video quality is effing superb. Man, 16 years ago you would have had to spend $1900.00 on a decent sony handi cam for recording video on the go. And the quality was sh** too.
But the iphone 4 gives quality on par with video from the news station. Damn!

You must not know how to use a camera/handycam then. The iPhone's camera/video is pretty good, but considering I can take just as good pictures on my phone (E72) that is a year and a half older shows how behind Apple is. With the new Sony optics there should be an improvement. And no Sony cybershot sells for $500. And if you are talking about the NEX3/5 then you have serious camera using problems since that has APS-C censors in them. And 16 years ago you also had a bulky cell phone that cost around $1900 as well probably.

Lennholm
Jul 5, 2011, 12:10 PM
I take it you never used a Samsung Vibrant. To get 6 hours, you have to shut off wifi and barely use it. The phone battery just plain sucks.

No, I haven't, but are you just cherry picking the worst example you can find just to prove me wrong? Because you seem to miss the point I was making. I didn't say ALL Android phones have better battery life than iPhone, I was trying to point out that NOT ALL Android phones have worse battery life than iPhone. Generally speaking they're just as bad, just like all smart phones.

TallManNY
Jul 5, 2011, 12:12 PM

You just had a terrible experience for two years with the HTC HD2 and you are considering buying another HTC phone? Man you are real forgiving. I bet you did some research on the HTC HD2 last time as well. But the reality was it was a piece of junk. I don't know why you don't just switch back to iPhone 5 in September. At least you know the iPhone will be decent.

TallManNY
Jul 5, 2011, 12:17 PM
No phone is ever built to support CDMA and GSM. So you can't just switch if you have no contract, you need a new iPhone. One reason why Verizon/Sprint is not too feasible if you travel a lot. The world uses GSM.

That is not true. Many modern chips have dual capabilities, including the Verizon iPhone, though Apple does not support it. The next iPhone will have this feature supported so that Apple only has to make one device and sell the same thing to each company.

Quote:

While the Verizon iPhone 4 is a CDMA-only device, it actually has a chipset capable of supporting both CDMA and GSM.According to the team at iFixit, the CDMA Verizon iPhone uses a Qualcomm MDM6600 chip, the same chip used by the Motorola Droid Pro to connect to both CDMA and GSM networks. iFixit says that the chip supports 3G HSPA+ data rates that max out at over 14Mbps.

Number 41
Jul 5, 2011, 12:18 PM
Having an A5 in your phone is like owning a Veyron in a neighborhood with speed cameras on every intersection -- lots of power that's absolutely useless to you as a user. Developers won't write A-5 specific software due to not wanting to alienate legacy hardwear (unless you're silly enough to believe anyone will waste time writing a killer app that the millions and millions of iP4 users cannot download).

Makes this phone a really useless upgrade, technically.

Oh, and it's still made of glass with no rim to protect the screen from corner impacts. Enjoy another 2 years of shattered glass with your $299 purchase.

res1233
Jul 5, 2011, 12:20 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Gonna upgrade regardless because a relative lost their 3GS (which I gave him) so that I can give them my 4.

I love the design and am somewhat underwelmed with iOS 5, but it's not a deal breaker. I'm expecting an A5 and higher quality cameras, but I really really hope the screen size ups to 3.7 or 4. Longer battery life would be nice, like always, but I'm pretty satisfied with what it already has.

We'll see, I suppose. We'll see.

Does it make people feel superior to look down on everything or something? Is iOS 5 really that underwhelming to you? Last I checked, iOS 5 contains many improvements people have been asking for for ages, yet people are still not satisfied? I just don't understand some people... It's the same nonsense with Lion. Some people can't use their imaginations without a hands-on experience I guess...

Lennholm
Jul 5, 2011, 12:26 PM
Android Battery life only seems similar because there is not actually anything to do on the phone. If you used it as much as an iPhone user , you rbattery life would suffer.

Huh? The S2 is not sold here at all. I suspect it may never be sold here. They sold 3 million phones in 4 months internationally. That is respectable, maybe even good, but it is not all that exciting.

I agree it is expensive for what you get. Blows away your girlfriends over two year old phone? Woah. Actually the battery thing is that her two year old phone can do more then your new one...

You have no idea what you're talking about, you're making things up.
Also, why do you assume "here" for bushido is the same as "here" for you?

stevenpa
Jul 5, 2011, 12:27 PM
That is not true. Many modern chips have dual capabilities, including the Verizon iPhone, though Apple does not support it. The next iPhone will have this feature supported so that Apple only has to make one device and sell the same thing to each company.

Quote:

While the Verizon iPhone 4 is a CDMA-only device, it actually has a chipset capable of supporting both CDMA and GSM.According to the team at iFixit, the CDMA Verizon iPhone uses a Qualcomm MDM6600 chip, the same chip used by the Motorola Droid Pro to connect to both CDMA and GSM networks. iFixit says that the chip supports 3G HSPA+ data rates that max out at over 14Mbps.

I know it has the hardware but having the hardware is pointless if you can't use it. CDMA Blackberry's have it as well, but it is not really optimized for global use. I have an unlocked GSM phone and just swap sims when I'm traveling but it just does not make that much sense to have dual support in most cases. Even without Verizon/Sprint selling iPhones, Apple has more than enough people to sell it to.

I was responding to the poster who said they were going to take their At&t phone to Verizon, which is just not possible.

ECUpirate44
Jul 5, 2011, 12:35 PM
That ugly black stripe on the side just has to go, seriously. No way I'll even consider getting one as long as that is there

Do you have an iPhone 4?

megamanbnmaster
Jul 5, 2011, 12:38 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_Storm

Oh Hai There.

I'd expect this kind of phones to be a lot more popular right now. I get no service at home with AT&T or Tmobile, but I travel abroad a lot. Maybe this kind of phone only fits my needs.

Justin122
Jul 5, 2011, 12:38 PM
This update better be more than a spec bump. I had my iPhone 3Gs since August '09 then lost it last month. Had to downgrade to my LG KS360 which is a very poor phone. I'm craving an iPhone more than ever right now.

stevenpa
Jul 5, 2011, 12:39 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_Storm

Oh Hai There.

I'd expect this kind of phones to be a lot more popular right now. I get no service at home with AT&T or Tmobile, but I travel abroad a lot. Maybe this kind of phone only fits my needs.

See two posts above.

b0blndsy
Jul 5, 2011, 12:40 PM

Android switchers raise your hands............................................................................................... ......................................................................

None OK :D

Upgrade to iphone 5 then :):apple:

DJinTX
Jul 5, 2011, 12:48 PM

This is not always a given. Usually Apple improves a product when they redesign it, but not always.When they redesigned the iMac G4 to turn it into the iMac G5, I personally felt it was a step back. It was innovative to shove a whole computer into a flat screen, yes, but it didn't look as good as the G4.

And a better and more applicable example of this is the iPhone 3G/3Gs. I will grant you that the speed improvements we got with with the 3Gs were very impressive, as were other internal components, but the enclosure used for the 3G and 3Gs was a big step back from a design standpoint compared to the original iPhone or the eventual iPhone4. Why apple went with a cheap plastic-y casing is beyond me. I say this as a still current owner of a 3Gs. I appreciate all the goodness that came from my 3Gs, but external design is not a positive attribute.

So, design hiccups do occasionally happen for Apple redesigns. I for one hope they knock the iPhone5 out of the park and even blow the iP4 away. I really really need a new phone.

nickdelvecchio
Jul 5, 2011, 12:54 PM
Having an A5 in your phone is like owning a Veyron in a neighborhood with speed cameras on every intersection -- lots of power that's absolutely useless to you as a user. Developers won't write A-5 specific software due to not wanting to alienate legacy hardwear (unless you're silly enough to believe anyone will waste time writing a killer app that the millions and millions of iP4 users cannot download).

Makes this phone a really useless upgrade, technically.

Oh, and it's still made of glass with no rim to protect the screen from corner impacts. Enjoy another 2 years of shattered glass with your $299 purchase.

still havent broken mine. i am so rough with phones...between work and whatnot. asurion hs saved my butt many times with new phones. shattered the blackberry storm the 1st week I had it.(one of the worst phones in existance)

I hate cases- they ruin the look and the thin quality of the phones. ive had the verizon phone since the day of release and have dropped it countless times. i just have it skinned with Phantom Skinz. no cracked glass or anything. either i'm getting really lucky or people are smashing their phones to try and prove their point. I've dropped my phone out of my car (not while moving of course), and sometimes out of my hand on to the concrete or road, and it's been completely fine.

DJinTX
Jul 5, 2011, 12:55 PM
If the screen size is not increased to 4" or more then it will be a major FAIL:mad:

Then you should start preparing for failure.

Apple knows that the majority of their iPhone users (probably 90% or more) prefer the current size screen and form factor. We don't want to increase the amount of space it takes up in our pocket as the portability would take a hit. And they aren't about to go against what a majority of users want and need.

Lucky for you, there are Android phones that are big enough for you, so you have options. Enjoy~

oakfan52
Jul 5, 2011, 01:04 PM
There will have to be some changes. At least fixing the promity sensor and antenea. Both of which are still terrible on the ip4. Don't even know why I should stick with Apple after they sold me this 1/2 working phone.

DJinTX
Jul 5, 2011, 01:04 PM

In this case though, an external change could mean that the antenna design was changed, and that the antenna issues are finally a thing of the past. So I can understand using this as a guideline. Likewise, I personally love how the glass back panel looks, but feel that it isn't durable enough. So an external change could also be a new back panel material that I can trust more.

There are more reasons to want the external redesign than just superficial ones.

FunkyChicken
Jul 5, 2011, 01:05 PM
My insanely ridiculous 3-year contract on my 3G mercifully comes up at the end of this month, so a new iPhone - 4G, 4S, 5...whatever it's called - this fall would be most welcome.

wtmk81
Jul 5, 2011, 01:15 PM
My insanely ridiculous 3-year contract on my 3G mercifully comes up at the end of this month, so a new iPhone - 4G, 4S, 5...whatever it's called - this fall would be most welcome.

Gotta love Canadian carriers and their 3 year contracts.

wikus
Jul 5, 2011, 01:19 PM

18 people gave this ignorant comment a positive rating?

StyxMaker
Jul 5, 2011, 01:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I doubt you have a pulse on the smartphone market. Sounds like you know 10 iPhone users and two moved so you now claim many users Re jumping ship.

"…compared to the now sold out galaxy s 2"

Sounds like someone from a marketing department.

flottenheimer
Jul 5, 2011, 01:47 PM
My prediction:

Same screen as iPhone 4
A5 like the iPad 2
Upgraded camera
Capacity bump to 64 GB

Exactly.
And it will be named the iPhone 4S.

(Or maybe, just maybe, they will surprise us with an all new freshly designed iPhone 5).

Whatever they do, I'll buy one for my wife.

MadeTheSwitch
Jul 5, 2011, 01:52 PM

My projection is that with next year's version (if not sooner) you will also see the iPhone on Sprint as well. And yes, LTE for Verizon and AT&T definitely.

+1

Seems to me, they have something up their sleeve. Dual band? 4G?

But on the other hand, we're close to a point where what else can you cram into a smart phone? Always room for improvement on speed and memory, but beyond upgrades to existing tech... seems we may be about spec'd out.

I guess we'll see in the coming months and years.

Yeah, it does seem like we are getting to the point of diminishing returns. Anyone remember the day when each new Mac was a major event? Now they slip out into the supply channel with barely a mention and very little advanced notice. I wonder if we will get to that point with phones as well someday. There are only so many new features they can cram into a small form factor. Better screens and faster processors, yes. But that's about it until some stunning new technology comes out. Like maybe the successor to LTE way down the road perhaps? Folding, bendable screens? But at some point, rather soon, I see things plateauing a bit for awhile. How excited will people be year after year with just a speed bump and better camera? At some point the camera reaches perfection from an average user point of view and at some point faster speeds won't make as big of a difference. (That whole diminishing returns thing again.)

I for one can't wait for some sort of flexible screen though. THAT gets me excited. How sweet would it be to have something small in your pocket that could unfold into say, an iPad? Ah...someday maybe.

djsukebe
Jul 5, 2011, 02:01 PM
Here is my prediction, similar to yours. To me this makes the most sense:

Name: iPhone 4G
4G capable
Same screen as iPhone 4
Same body (maybe some small update to address the antenna issue)
A5 like the iPad 2
Upgraded camera
Capacity bump to 64 GB

My prediction:

Same screen as iPhone 4
A5 like the iPad 2
Upgraded camera
Capacity bump to 64 GB

davelanger
Jul 5, 2011, 02:03 PM
Exactly.
And it will be named the iPhone 4S.

(Or maybe, just maybe, they will surprise us with an all new freshly designed iPhone 5).

Whatever they do, I'll buy one for my wife.

It wont be called the iphone 4s no matter what, the only reason apple applied the 3rd phone the 3gs was so they could stop confusing people and start numbering the phones in order. If they call it the iphone 4S that means next years phone would be the iphone 6, they are not going to do that.

It will be called the iphone 5 no matter what, and calling it the iphone 5 would make more people because people would assume its not just a small upgrade liek they would if they called it the iphone 4s.