Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa*Apr 1, 2005 —*Two men traveling on Interstate 380 ended up in jail because the hood of their car popped open. The men were heading south of I-380 on Tuesday when the hood open and covered the windshield, the Linn County sheriff's office said.

Instead of pulling over to fix the problem, the men stuck their heads out the windows so they could see the road and kept going at about 55 mph, officials said.

Two Linn County deputies on patrol took note, and pulled them over.

They arrested the driver, Travis Williams, 25, of Cedar Rapids, on suspicion of driving under suspension, and no proof of insurance. The passenger, Brandon Calmese, 27, of Cedar Rapids, was arrested on a parole violation warrant from Illinois.

Both men were taken to jail. Williams was released Thursday afternoon. Calmese remained in jail on the Illinois warrant.

"It's a little bit hard to drive with the hood of the car laid over the window," Sheriff Don Zeller said.
Not to mention hanging your head out like a doggie. :rolleyes:

Link

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I can picture a couple of losers without a licence or violating parole driving such a beater that the hood won't stay closed (though every car I've seen manufactuered in at least the last 30 years has a double latch), but as if having the thing flip up in your face Tommy Boy-style isn't amusing enough, they decide it's not worth pulling over for?

That's what duct tape is for, guys!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Such a stupid thing to due. Reminds me of the person that didn't scrap the ice off of their window and did the same thing. A great way to loose one's head.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
They should of turned the car around and driven in reverse so they could at least look out the rear view mirror. :p :rolleyes:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
MacNut said:
They should of turned the car around and driven in reverse so they could at least look out the rear view mirror. :p :rolleyes:

They should have just pulled over and call for help. But of course that was just too obvious. :D

Rhobes

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2004
Bigfork, MT
Lets see, I don't have car insurance, my license has been suspended, my friend has a warrent out on him, how can I least attract attention?? :confused:

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
You gotta expect this...

Some people in Iowa and Wisconsin are extremely weird... driving through Iowa, Minnesota or Wisconsin can be a trip, literally.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
The REAL story here isn't what happened with the hood and how they kept driving. No. It's the fact they were WANTED. Can one imagine not having enough brain power to say "The hood flipped up, we're wanted, this might get us noticed so we'd better get it down pronto." No, this isn't a Darwin award thing. It belongs in Quick Takes in the Chicago Sun Times. I'll BET when they are sent to prison they'll keep saying "Got arrested for dang HOOD flippin 'up. That ain't no crime!".

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
Don't forget, in order to be a candidate for the darwin award, you actually need to kill yourself doing something idiotic. The best these guys can hope for is honorable mention.

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
From my Michigan driver ed test..

What do you do if your cars' hood pops up while driving:

A) Stick your head out the window
B) Pull over
C) Continue driving
D) A and C
E) A and B
F) None of the above

70% was a passing score...

ebow

macrumors 6502a
tpjunkie said:
Don't forget, in order to be a candidate for the darwin award, you actually need to kill yourself doing something idiotic. The best these guys can hope for is honorable mention.

Thank you for that reminder. I've seen many a mention of Darwin Award material, but people seem to forget it's called the "Darwin" Award because the winner has removed his or her "stupid genes" from the species' gene pool. :D

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
All right then, we'll have to name this award after someone else...someone without a brain.

(I'd mention a certain someone, but that would get this moved to the political forum.)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I've seen drivers do all sorts of dumb things. This is one of the dumber things to do while driving a vehicle; I think this isn't quite as bad as driving the wrong way on a one-way road.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
Dr. Dastardly said:
Its these type of people that hit my car and what do ya know! They don't have insurance! :mad:

Those same type of people are the reason I have uninsured and underinsured insurance added to my car insurance policy. basicly it is like an extra 60 bucks a year which is not much consider my insuracne is 181 a month. But the nice part about it is if I have to use it, it does not count agaist me and I dont have to pay my decublle. It basicly like if some hit my car I get that money just out of my agent and they deal with recovering thier cost from the other guy. Something I say is a very worth wild thing to add to your policy since it really is not that much extra and it gives you protection up to what your policy is willing to cover on the other person.

You should have a minumal of 50k proputy damage and somethign aroudn 100-150k for medical. the minamual mandated by the state would not cover the cost of my 15k car. Plus if you hit some lenus that 5k that the minamal policy has is not going ot cover the cost of repiars.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
tpjunkie said:

Not only that but you also must not have any kids. Although I believe you can qualify if you live but manage to leave yourself unable to procreate. :eek:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Rhobes said:
Lets see, I don't have car insurance, my license has been suspended, my friend has a warrent out on him, how can I least attract attention?? :confused:

If I were you, I wouldn't drive. It would make me so nervous, that it would draw unwanted attention. I realize that living in Montana, driving a car is a necessity. It might be the best thing to ask family and friends to give you a lift.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
About a year ago, the guy in front of me was going at about 80 on a 100 road, and there was nobody coming the other way, so I overtook him. Halfway through the manoeuvre, my car's boot flew open! :eek:

Yes, I did pull over. And therefore the guy I'd passed ended up in front again, and it took several minutes before the road was clear enough to pass him again!

Nothing like that's happened since :)

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
wdlove said:
Rhobes said:
Lets see, I don't have car insurance, my license has been suspended, my friend has a warrent out on him, how can I least attract attention??
If I were you, I wouldn't drive. It would make me so nervous, that it would draw unwanted attention. I realize that living in Montana, driving a car is a necessity. It might be the best thing to ask family and friends to give you a lift.

I see that sarcasm has become a lost art these days

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.