PDA

View Full Version : Best iPad iOS Print App?

alexjholland
Jul 5, 2011, 09:45 AM
Hey, I love my new iPad and think it's possibly my favourite ever gadget. I work in international sales; being able to cruise company profiles, international news and the Xe.com conversion app is fantastic!

However, the refusal to support universal printing is criminal. My iPad is way more convenient for browsing potential client websites than a laptop - hitting 'print' is critical though!

Luckily I use all Macs back home, so Printopia is a fantastic solution. I'll certainly be paying for it when my demo runs out.

However, at work we have a Windows network; and I'd like to be able to print directly from my iPad's Safari browser to our printers.

I've tried using 'Airprint Activator' on my Windows laptop, but to no avail.

If anyone else can recommend a Windows feature to make my Windows office printers Airprint accessible (like the brilliant Printopia does) it would be appreciated; failing that:

Can anyone recommend an app from the iOS App store? I'm quite happy paying for the best.

I'd much rather not have one where you need to browse emails/websites in a separate application if possible; hitting print from Safari would be much better.

Two that have caught my attention so far are:

- Print Agent PRO For iPad (by Dar-Soft)
- Print n Share (Eurosmartz)

Can anyone recommend one?

MrBambinoDent
Jul 5, 2011, 10:00 AM
I totally second that.
Very bad move by Apple limiting that capability to just a few printers :mad:

Phil A.
Jul 5, 2011, 10:11 AM
I've not tried it personally, but this (http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/enable-ios-4-2-airprint-service-in-windows-7/) looks quite promising

Edit:
I've looked into this some more, and it works great on my Windows 7 machine. The one thing you have to look out for is when creating the service with the command

sc.exe create AirPrint binPath= "C:\Program Files\AirPrint\airprint.exe -s" depend= "Bonjour Service" start= auto

each of the = signs have no space before them but a single space after them

Also, if you want to enable anonymous printing on Windows7 (so you don't have to provide a user name and password each time), you need to add an entry to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

The entry should be a string entry called NullSessionShares with a value of print$