Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scollie41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
So I just bought a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee which only has a cd player only. In my previous car I was just using the tape deck to play my iPod but I am looking for options to use the ipod in my new car. I've heard mixed reviews about FM wireless transmitters but I'm afraid this is my only choice right now because I cannot find an adapter for this model to plug in directly to the cd changer port on the back of the stereo.

Any suggestions on how to best do this? I live in a small town in a mountainous area so I am concerned about FM stations coming in and out and causing interferance as well as when I travel to bigger cities etc.

So far I am leaning towards this - http://www.everythingipod.com/TFM.tpl?command=showpage&cart=111232692712158940&db=dbs/products.db

Thanks for any help!!!!

spasticmutant

macrumors member
May 2, 2004
Santa Clara
scollie41 said:
So I just bought a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee which only has a cd player only. In my previous car I was just using the tape deck to play my iPod but I am looking for options to use the ipod in my new car. I've heard mixed reviews about FM wireless transmitters but I'm afraid this is my only choice right now because I cannot find an adapter for this model to plug in directly to the cd changer port on the back of the stereo.

Any suggestions on how to best do this? I live in a small town in a mountainous area so I am concerned about FM stations coming in and out and causing interferance as well as when I travel to bigger cities etc.

So far I am leaning towards this - http://www.everythingipod.com/TFM.tpl?command=showpage&cart=111232692712158940&db=dbs/products.db

Thanks for any help!!!!

If you don't want to go the FM transmitter route you could possibly
install an auxilliary input adapter for your stereo.

http://www.installer.com/aux/
(then search for "Jeep")

Then you can plug in your iPod directly. You'll have to check your
stereo model against the available adapters to see which one is
right for your Jeep, or maybe an auto audio shop can help you out.

If that fails, replace the radio! Get one you really like instead of
the factory installed crap.

I have a '95 Jeep Wrangler, and I installed a CD/MP3 player. I burn
the music suitable for driving to MP3 and leave it in the player all
the time. When I update music, I just burn another CD and toss
the old one in the microwave for 3 seconds. They make great
coasters! I only use the iPod when I'm at work.

Anne Marie

scollie41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
allisonv7 said:
I'm in the same situation and was looking at the Transpod as well, I have an iTrip and don't really care for it, much too cumbersome to use while driving.

I checked out http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_more.php?id=4867_0_6_0_M but am not sure I'm convinced yet.

allison.

I think after reading that I am convinced NOT to buy it. I really hope someone develops an adapter so i can just have it connected to my stereo because it's a great unit and I don't want to replace it!!

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
I didn't notice people could comment on it the first time I read it :) I'm definitely not going to go that route either. I don't want to replace my stereo so I guess I'm just SOL.

I new I should have gone for the BMW :rolleyes:

allison.

scollie41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I am seriously considering replacing the stereo with an alpine head and their own ipod connection device, but that'll have to wait! I may just buy a cheap FM mod for my 5.5 hour trip next weekend!

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
allisonv7 said:
I have an iTrip and don't really care for it, much too cumbersome to use while driving.

allison.

The Itrip is such a driving hazard. with going to the playlist and finding a station. I almost got into a few accidents because of it, i only really use it when i'm traveling long distances. or if i'm going to an area where i know the station to use, other wise i burn cds. They sound better then any FM transmitter.

scollie41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
crazzyeddie said:
I use this FM adapter, and it performs better than the itrip or any other FM transmitter I've ever used, not to mention its a whole lot cheaper.

Thanks for the recommendation, I have not seen that product before. The only issue I have is that it would use one of my two free 12v adapters but doesn't charge so I'd need to use the other to charge while driving, although now that I think about it the battery life is good enough for most of my trips so it wouldn't matter so much. I'm going to bestbuy and circuit city today and if I don't get something there I will try this since it's only 14.99!

scollie41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I received this product yesterday and it is great! It works well despite the fact that there is a local station on the same frequency - 107.7. Once I plugged into the 12v adapter, the radio station was canceled out and then I played the iPod and the sound was suprisingly good.

For only $20 including 2 day shipping, this is by far the best FM iPod adapter I've seen!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.