PDA

View Full Version : Verizon's Tiered iPhone Data Plans to Debut on July 7th

MacRumors
Jul 5, 2011, 12:46 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/05/verizons-tiered-iphone-data-plans-to-debut-on-july-7th/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/verizonlogo-150x90.jpg

Even before the iPhone launch on Verizon earlier this year, the carrier had announced (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/25/verizon-to-offer-iphone-with-30-unlimited-data-plan/) that the unlimited data plans being offered with the device were a temporary program, set to be discontinued as soon as this summer (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/01/verizon-to-drop-unlimited-iphone-data-plans-as-soon-as-this-summer/) in favor of tiered data packages.

Just two weeks ago, Verizon confirmed (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/20/verizon-dropping-unlimited-data-plan-next-month/) that it would be dropping the unlimited data plan in July, with leaks pinpointing the new data plans and a debut date of July 7th. Existing unlimited plan subscribers were said to be grandfathered in (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/22/existing-verizon-customers-can-keep-their-unlimited-plans/) and thus able to keep their current plans after that date, even after upgrading their devices.

Fierce Wireless now reports (http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-confirms-it-will-ditch-unlimited-smartphone-data-plans-starting-jul/2011-07-05) that Verizon has confirmed the new offerings as previously leaked, with the new plans indeed set to go into effect this Thursday, July 7th.Verizon spokeswoman Brenda Raney told FierceWireless that new smartphone customers will choose from one of four options: $10 for 75 MB per month, $30 for 2 GB, $50 for 5 GB or $80 for 10 GB. There will be an overage charge of $10 per GB of data. AT&T Mobility charges $15 per month for 200 MB and $25 per month for 2 GB.Verizon has also confirmed that existing customers on the unlimited plan who upgrade their devices on or after July 7th will be able to keep their data plans.

Both Verizon and AT&T have confirmed that they are also looking into rolling out shared data plans (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/27/wireless-carriers-moving-toward-shared-data-plans-across-devices/) across devices, following the lead of other international carriers already offering the plans. Under those plans, customers can draw from a single data allotment using multiple devices such as an iPhone and iPad, but Verizon and AT&T have yet to announce specific timeframes for rolling out such plans.

Article Link: Verizon's Tiered iPhone Data Plans to Debut on July 7th (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/05/verizons-tiered-iphone-data-plans-to-debut-on-july-7th/)

ECUpirate44
Jul 5, 2011, 12:49 PM
So glad I made the decision to get the iPhone with unlimited data while I could. I'd rather have the iPhone4 with unlimited than the 4S or 5 (whatever you want to call it) with a monthly limit.

wordoflife
Jul 5, 2011, 12:50 PM
Verizon should have thought about these plans.
How are they going to convince anyone to get off their unlimited plan and drop to the 2GB plan for the same price :confused:

siurpeeman
Jul 5, 2011, 12:51 PM
if it was 2 gb for $20 (or 1 gb even), i could be tempted, but i'll be hanging onto my unlimited plan as long as i can.

tehreflex
Jul 5, 2011, 12:52 PM
Booooooo! Maybe Sprint will go from true unlimited to a tiered one as well. If cell phone companys can cap their data so easily...how much longer until all the ISP companies do it?

als522877
Jul 5, 2011, 12:52 PM
I think I found a loop hole for people who are already on Verizon, have a regular cell, & their upgrade is after 7/7 & will want unlimited data. It looks like you can add the unlimited data plan to any phone. One of the phones on my plan is a Moto Razr & I can add the unlimited data plan to it. If Verizon is just grandfathering everyone who has this plan it should also grandfather them in too.

http://web12.twitpic.com/img/338742853-a3c0525b9bb08a0af4b9d2dd592783ca.4e135120-full.png

crisss1205
Jul 5, 2011, 12:54 PM
AT&T also has a 4GB plan for $45 a month. (including tethering)

siurpeeman
Jul 5, 2011, 12:56 PM
I think I found a loop hole for people who are already on Verizon, have a regular cell, & their upgrade is after 7/7 & will want unlimited data. It looks like you can add the unlimited data plan to any phone. One of the phones on my plan is a Moto Razr & I can add the unlimited data plan to it. If Verizon is just grandfathering everyone who has this plan it should also grandfather them in too.

Image (http://web12.twitpic.com/img/338742853-a3c0525b9bb08a0af4b9d2dd592783ca.4e135120-full.png)

i'm not a hundred percent, but i think they differentiate between smartphone data plans and feature phone data plans. so i think jumping from a regular phone to an iphone would require a change in plans.

wordoflife
Jul 5, 2011, 12:57 PM
Booooooo! Maybe Sprint will go from true unlimited to a tiered one as well. If cell phone companys can cap their data so easily...how much longer until all the ISP companies do it?

ISPs already do it ...
Comcast's cap is 250GB and AT&T U-verse is like 180GB (or something like that).

I hope Sprint doesn't do data caps ... that's why many people are with them. If they chose to be as greedy as AT&T/Verizon, they're going to lose customers. Sprint is known for not raping your wallet, so they should keep it that way.

Geckotek
Jul 5, 2011, 12:59 PM
How are they going to convince anyone to get off their unlimited plan and drop to the 2GB plan for the same price :confused:

What makes you think they intend to convince anyone to switch. Moreso, they just plan on forcing new customers to these plans. They won't have a choice.

EvilEvil
Jul 5, 2011, 01:00 PM
ISPs already do it ...

Thank goodness for Verizon FIOS.

ArcaneDevice
Jul 5, 2011, 01:00 PM

Data for "feature phones" and date for "smart phones" are two different things.

If you switch from a basic connected phone like the V3M to an iPhone or Android phone you have to change your data package.

colquhounclan
Jul 5, 2011, 01:01 PM
if it was 2 gb for $20 (or 1 gb even), i could be tempted, but i'll be hanging onto my unlimited plan as long as i can.

For $10, you get 75mb, with a $10 overage for 1 GB. So for $20, you'll get that 1GB.

Bumble Bee
Jul 5, 2011, 01:02 PM
Well looks like Apple is helping out Verizon and AT&T new iPhone 5 with limited data...... Possibly end of July since it seems like this is why they didnt announce a new phone back in June!

pdjudd
Jul 5, 2011, 01:06 PM
If you can get it.

wikus
Jul 5, 2011, 01:07 PM
Those prices are even more disgusting than Canada's Bell and Rogers pricing.

pyro008
Jul 5, 2011, 01:09 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nope... As with att, on the small plan you get charged the plan cost for the plan amount so youll get raped hard by overages. With att if you go over 200mb they charge you $15 more for 200mb more. Verizons newest leak has $10/75mb when you go over.
Edit: apparently the 75mb plan isnt even available for smartphones so its a moot point

chalpin
Jul 5, 2011, 01:10 PM
For $10, you get 75mb, with a $10 overage for 1 GB. So for $20, you'll get that 1GB.

If you continue the logic, why would anyone sign up for a $30/month 2GB plan?
If you sign up for a 75MB plan for $10 with $10/GB overage:
$10 = 0 - 0.075GB
$20 = 0.075GB - 1.075GB
$30 = 1.075GB - 2.075GB.

Instead of a constant $30 a month, people who have erratic monthly usage but consistently stay under 2GB will benefit with $10 or $20 data bills sometimes.

Or am I missing something?

iansilv
Jul 5, 2011, 01:11 PM
Get the unlimited plan now- it includes unlimited 4G when you get a phone that supports it.

als522877
Jul 5, 2011, 01:14 PM
Data for "feature phones" and date for "smart phones" are two different things.

If you switch from a basic connected phone like the V3M to an iPhone or Android phone you have to change your data package.

You sure? On their website under how much the plans currently cost they show the 29.99 unlimited data as the same thing. This is what makes me thing that it might work

http://i54.tinypic.com/f445n9.png

toddybody
Jul 5, 2011, 01:15 PM
These service providers make me sick. Innovations in technology, and its infrastructure, should be driving costs down for consumers...not the other way around. Total A Holes/

bursthead
Jul 5, 2011, 01:21 PM
does this mean we lose the 20 dollar 1gb for ipad?

Moof1904
Jul 5, 2011, 01:23 PM
These service providers make me sick. Innovations in technology, and its infrastructure, should be driving costs down for consumers...not the other way around. Total A Holes/

I completely agree.

It's the nature of most companies to get away with whatever they can, always pushing the envelope of what's legal and what the paying public will tolerate.

I'm not surprised by what the providers are doing, but what saddens me more are the actions of we consumers who let them get away with it. Instead of dropping services like a hot potato, we, myself included, line up month after month for this. Even while we complain, we pay their outrageous charges just so we can keep sticking the data needle in our veins because we can't live without it.

macduke
Jul 5, 2011, 01:24 PM
Why is everyone complaining about the price? It's actually quite decent for most users when you factor in the overages of $10. I consider myself a fairly heavy user, but with WIFI everywhere, I hardly top out over 500MB, and when I do go over, like on trips, it's always under 1GB.

Everyone should get the 75MB plan, and most will go over and it will only cost them $20 a month. But even if it goes over some months, it will only cost $30, what you would have been paying anyway. So then you save $10 on the other months.

The only people complaining about this are the people that ruin the network streaming videos 24/7 using over 5GB a month, lol. We don't want them on the network anyway! Haha. Most decent users use under 1GB unless there is no WIFI anywhere you go.

SERIOUSLY. Check your data numbers online. I bet you they aren't as high as you think. I used to complain about AT&T nixing unlimited until I realized how low my numbers are, and I run my iPhone out about every day doing all kinds of stuff.

jav6454
Jul 5, 2011, 01:25 PM
Wow, that $10 plan makes AT&T look like charity...

Gemütlichkeit
Jul 5, 2011, 01:26 PM
Worst tiered data plans ever haha.. they call that tiered? you're pretty much FORCED to go "unlimited".

wikus
Jul 5, 2011, 01:30 PM
Why is everyone complaining about the price? It's actually quite decent for most users when you factor in the overages of $10.

Absolutely FALSE. These prices are astronomically high.

noodlelegs
Jul 5, 2011, 01:30 PM
Why is everyone complaining about the price? It's actually quite decent for most users when you factor in the overages of $10. I consider myself a fairly heavy user, but with WIFI everywhere, I hardly top out over 500MB, and when I do go over, like on trips, it's always under 1GB.

Everyone should get the 75MB plan, and most will go over and it will only cost them $20 a month. But even if it goes over some months, it will only cost $30, what you would have been paying anyway. So then you save $10 on the other months.

The only people complaining about this are the people that ruin the network streaming videos 24/7 using over 5GB a month, lol. We don't want them on the network anyway! Haha. Most decent users use under 1GB unless there is no WIFI anywhere you go.

SERIOUSLY. Check your data numbers online. I bet you they aren't as high as you think. I used to complain about AT&T nixing unlimited until I realized how low my numbers are, and I run my iPhone out about every day doing all kinds of stuff.

SERIOUSLY. Check your facts online. The 75MB plan does not work on smartphones like the iPhone. To be clear - the 75MB plan is for featurephones only.

jaison13
Jul 5, 2011, 01:33 PM

fois freakin crawls where i live!! a budy of mine lives in a town were you can only use their phone and internet (crazy i know) he has fios and it is like dial up compared to comcast. i'll take the 250gb and super speed!! based on him i don't thinkhe could hit 250gb in a month!! i download like a crazy person and i do get close to the 250 sometimes but you can monitor it. i had a crazy month when i subscribed to usenet and did 2 TB i got shut off and an email. i called they turned it back on. now when i get close i log into my neighbor's unsecured wifi. yes its bad but it's never ben for more than a couple days.

jaison13
Jul 5, 2011, 01:36 PM
sounds great but i'm sure they won't let people with unlimited plans tap into this multi-thing. i wish i bought an ipad 1 and the unlimited plan!! i alway have a messenger bag with me so i could have ditched my iphone and got vonage or skype on my ipad!!

Penguissimo
Jul 5, 2011, 01:36 PM

This may be true today, but with the LTE rollout and continued introduction of video services (see: Netflix on Android phones with HDMI output), these caps will quickly become crippling.

Wang Foolio
Jul 5, 2011, 01:37 PM
Every day I get a little bit happier with my $30 6GB plan with Rogers in Canada, including tethering. It'll be years until any providers offer that again :D

oghowie
Jul 5, 2011, 01:48 PM

It's $10 for another 75MB. 75MB + 75MB does not equal 1GB...

radge
Jul 5, 2011, 01:49 PM
My wife and I went to activate my old Blackberry 2 weeks ago when I first heard they were ending unlimited data. She is eligible for and upgrade in August, and planning on moving to the next-gen iPhone (she'll wait until it comes out) from her ENV 2. The sales rep told us that if you switch platforms your unlimited plan wouldn't carry over. Thanks to you guys we called and found out that it does and the sales rep was misinformed. Now we'll be paying the same amount for unlimited as we would for the 2 GB plan. Thanks!

thunderclap
Jul 5, 2011, 01:50 PM
I thought I saw somewhere that the new pricing was for new members only, and that if you continue renewing your license that your old $30 unlimited plan will be grandfathered in. Has anyone else read this?

Centient
Jul 5, 2011, 01:50 PM

VZ data tiering plans are poop.

Seriously, they must have something up their sleeves with data sharing plans. These tiers are garbage compared to AT&T, which really aren't fantastic either.

Centient
Jul 5, 2011, 01:52 PM
I thought I saw somewhere that the new pricing was for new members only, and that if you continue renewing your license that your old $30 unlimited plan will be grandfathered in. Has anyone else read this?

That has been and continues to be reported everywhere. I think I've been reading something like even if you make another cell phone purchase you'll still be grandfathered into unlimited data.

Now whether that extends beyond the next purchase, or how long the policy will last, are unknown. I'd say it's a reasonable assumption that for the next few months to a year at least the grandfather rules will apply.

citi
Jul 5, 2011, 01:54 PM
This looks like LTE prices, not 3g. I hope they are not charging the same amount for for 3gs.

notjustjay
Jul 5, 2011, 01:57 PM
Those prices are even more disgusting than Canada's Bell and Rogers pricing.

How do you figure? I'm paying $25/month for 500 megs with Fido (Rogers). It would be $30/month for 1 gig. Plus I'm locked into a 3-year contract.

DiamondMac
Jul 5, 2011, 02:06 PM

Where do you get such crap? Seriously, explain to me HOW people going over are automatic streaming 24/7, etc...? Why do people keep exaggerating to such a thing when making a statement.

As shown by NUMEROUS posters here, people don't stream even REMOTELY 24/7 and hit the limit easily. With apps, products, etc....going online, data usage is CONTINUING to sky-rocket and those using GB's are increasing hourly.

How again is a grandmother who wants to watch several Netflix HD shows in a month....an abuser? Can someone explain that to me?

We have people on here claiming to use HUNDREDS of GB's per month....and then we have people using 10-15 and somehow being lumped in with them.

The actual people hitting HUNDREDS of GB's is low....but the actual number of people using multiple GB's and more is growing insanely in todays world.

So, no, those hitting the limit are not even remotely "24/7 streaming users" or even "abusers"

Tilpots
Jul 5, 2011, 02:13 PM
You sure? On their website under how much the plans currently cost they show the 29.99 unlimited data as the same thing. This is what makes me thing that it might work

Image (http://i54.tinypic.com/f445n9.png)

Tried to add a Samsung Convoy last night with a $30 data plan to be grandfathered. It will NOT work. So I ordered a Palm Pixi for overnight delivery this morning...

notjustjay
Jul 5, 2011, 02:13 PM
As shown by NUMEROUS posters here, people don't stream even REMOTELY 24/7 and hit the limit easily. With apps, products, etc....going online, data usage is CONTINUING to sky-rocket and those using GB's are increasing hourly.

The actual people hitting HUNDREDS of GB's is low....but the actual number of people using multiple GB's and more is growing insanely in todays world.

So, no, those hitting the limit are not even remotely "24/7 streaming users" or even "abusers"

It clearly depends on people's usage habits. I am on a 500 meg a month plan and I was afraid I'd go over in no time, but it seems like I use around 250 megs a month on average. I'm currently one week into my monthly billing cycle and I've used 69 megs, which extrapolates to about 275-300 megs per month.

"Oh, he clearly doesn't use his iPhone much", you're thinking. But I do... I check Gmail, Twitter and Facebook practically every 10 minutes, day in and day out. I surf the web a bit, I use Google Maps. I buy and download new apps. I watch occasional YouTube videos, but not many.

300 megs seems to go a long way on an iPhone.

vartanarsen
Jul 5, 2011, 02:16 PM
Why doesnt everyone just put a Straight Talk SIM card into their iPhones?
$45 unlimited talk/text & web

http://www.straighttalk.com/ServicePlans

Hux
Jul 5, 2011, 02:25 PM
So, what about if you have an android phone on Verizon with an unlimited data plan? Will you be able to upgrade to an iPhone 4/5 or are you stuck with android if you want to keep your unlimited data?

jb510
Jul 5, 2011, 02:29 PM
If I understand this correctly this is just stupid pricing again... and is NOT usage based billing so people should stop calling it that. This is punitive tiered billing since, and I'm assuming here, that like AT&T they are going to be billing 1GB of overage even if you only go over by 1Kb...

74MB = $10 ($0.135/MB)
76MB = $20 ($0.263/MB)
&
1074MB = $20 ($0.019/MB)
1076MB = $30 ($0.027/MB)

2000MB = $30 ($0.015/MB)
2001MB = $40 ($0.019/MB)
2999MB = $40 ($0.013/MB)

I really wish they'd adopt a true usage based model rather than trying to game the system to find tier price points that exploit users the was they have with cell phone minute packages. One that was priced like this:
Access fee: $10/month and $0.01/MB
Or Access fee: $10/month + tiered usage based rates
Data <500MB = $0.02/MB
Data >500MB = $0.01/MB
Data >1000MB = $0.005/MB

This actually works out to:
74MB = $10+$1.48=11.48
76MB = $10+$1.52=11.52
1074MB = $10+$10+$5+$0.37=25.37
1076MB = $10+$10+$5+$0.38=25.38
2000MB = $10+$10+$5+$5=$30
2999MB = $10+$10+$5+$9.95=34.95

(note the reference to a "usage based model" is in the linked article http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/20/verizon-dropping-unlimited-data-plan-next-month/ )

mdriftmeyer
Jul 5, 2011, 02:31 PM

One way is to not offer a phone upgrade path. If you want the iPhone 5 or future phones you'll have to drop your grandfather clause would be my guess.

cvaldes
Jul 5, 2011, 02:31 PM

I would love to get one of these, however the closest participating store is still too far away. I'm not driving ten hours roundtrip for a SIM.

It doesn't help people who prefer Verizon's CDMA/EV-DO network though.

vartanarsen
Jul 5, 2011, 02:33 PM
I would love to get one of these, however the closest participating store is still too far away. I'm not driving ten hours roundtrip for a SIM.

Walmart will ship to your house, no?

cvaldes
Jul 5, 2011, 02:39 PM
Walmart will ship to your house, no?
I'm not seeing the SIM in the online store. The "service card" appears to be an e-mailed PIN to add minutes, not a physical SIM card.

Edit: further research indicates that I would still need to acquire a ~$200 Smarttalk GSM handset for the SIM (the cheaper handsets run on Verizon's CDMA network, hence no SIM), then jailbreak and unlock the smartphone in question to hack it so the IMEI number matches that of the Smarttalk handset.

No thanks.

colquhounclan
Jul 5, 2011, 02:44 PM
It's $10 for another 75MB. 75MB + 75MB does not equal 1GB...
According to the original article, 75mb is $10, and "There will be an overage charge of $10 per GB of data."
And thanks for the math lesson, Einstein.

pyro008
Jul 5, 2011, 02:52 PM
According to the original article, 75mb is $10, and "There will be an overage charge of $10 per GB of data."
And thanks for the math lesson, Einstein.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/05/verizon-speaks-up-confirms-usage-based-data-plans-are-coming-ju/

DiamondMac
Jul 5, 2011, 02:52 PM
It clearly depends on people's usage habits. I am on a 500 meg a month plan and I was afraid I'd go over in no time, but it seems like I use around 250 megs a month on average. I'm currently one week into my monthly billing cycle and I've used 69 megs, which extrapolates to about 275-300 megs per month.

"Oh, he clearly doesn't use his iPhone much", you're thinking. But I do... I check Gmail, Twitter and Facebook practically every 10 minutes, day in and day out. I surf the web a bit, I use Google Maps. I buy and download new apps. I watch occasional YouTube videos, but not many.

300 megs seems to go a long way on an iPhone.
I have no doubt about your usage even with your habits. I am on the other spectrum.

I rarely stream music, only really stream Netflix on my Wifi, and just use email hourly and other in-phone features such as browsing, iPad, etc....

Yet, I seem to come upon the 2gb limit (I have unlimited but mean I come upon 2gb's in general) just about every month including going over often.

How? I have no clue...maybe it is because I email so much, browse a good bit, and/or stream some music.

lilcosco08
Jul 5, 2011, 03:00 PM
So glad I made the decision to get the iPhone with unlimited data while I could. I'd rather have the iPhone4 with unlimited than the 4S or 5 (whatever you want to call it) with a monthly limit.

Palm pixi plus no contract

Now I get the i5 with unlimited data :D

mdatwood
Jul 5, 2011, 03:11 PM
I wish they would just do a flat price/GB. If $10/GB is going to be their rate then go for it. Charging $x for this and $y for that unless this is just confusing for customers. If they keep it simple and appear fair, customers are much more likely to be okay with metered data.

drummingcraig
Jul 5, 2011, 03:15 PM

From reading thru the various info on that site, their "unlimited data" plan does not appear to be the same thing as what AT&T and VZ are offering. It sounds like you have unlimited access to limited web services. I'm not sure that you're gonna be streaming Netflix to your iPhone.

ECUpirate44
Jul 5, 2011, 03:22 PM
Palm pixi plus no contract

Now I get the i5 with unlimited data :D

I was thinking about going down that route back in April, but I decided I couldn't hold out until September :o I had been waiting for the iPhone to come on Verizon for way too long.

Tiger8
Jul 5, 2011, 03:24 PM
This is awful. At least AT&T were semi decent with the 200 MB plan (Wish it was 250 MB though).

As for Verizon, 75 is not enough enough, 1 GB is an overkill for casual users.

Just like cable, that's how they make their money; selling you excessive plans that you don't need. 100,000 night and weekend minutes everyone!

swingerofbirch
Jul 5, 2011, 03:29 PM
Why would you not get the $10 plan over the $30 plan? For $10 you get 75 MB, each GB over is $10. Say you use 2 extra gigabytes, you then pay $30 for the month and get 2.075 GB of data, slightly more for the same price as the 2 GB plan, and you pay less in the event you don't use that much data!!! I wonder if they will charge more for phones on the $10 plan?

toddybody
Jul 5, 2011, 03:30 PM
If they want to force caps because of "power users who hog bandwidth", fine. Give us an advantageous tier pricing with FREE tethering. Its completely ridiculous why we cant use our FINITE data in any means allowable.

Its like if Starbucks charged more for a bigger straw...my cup has the same amount of iced coffee regardless.

Im also afraid that folks with Grandfathered data plans may loose them upon device upgrade (from some speculation I've read).

Oh, what I'd give for an iPhone that didnt require a data plan...instead pay per month data, if I want it (ala iPad Wifi + 3G). I heard that the new unlocked phones still require a data plan.

nickjf20
Jul 5, 2011, 03:33 PM
Glad I live in the UK !

£10 a month, Unlimited Texts, Unlimited internet and 200 minutes.

No iPhone though I suppose ... HTC Touch 2 instead which can act as a wi-fi router to my iPod Touch :D

Mr. Gates
Jul 5, 2011, 03:36 PM
If you have ever lived in a 3rd world country, this will be like going back.

We are going backwards.

Nobody likes this except the greedy b@stards at the companies who dish out ridiculous bonuses to the top @ssh0l3s who comes up with this crap.

The company who decides to sustain unlimited data will win in the end and get my money the right way

toddybody
Jul 5, 2011, 03:38 PM

IMO, its the pay-out-the-ass while smiling customer's that we dont want on our networks. They give the providers weird perceptions of entitlement;)

beany boy
Jul 5, 2011, 03:43 PM
Can you hear me now?

progx
Jul 5, 2011, 03:54 PM

Time Warner doesn't cap their Road Runner Turbo either, but where I live we do not have FiOS or U-verse available.

I'm thrilled I took the dive and jumped to the iPhone 4 now. The only downfall I can possibly see, Verizon will tire of these "grandfathered" plans in a few years and try to be sneaking with upgrades. To be safe, just pay full price for your iPhones in the future. I know, it's crazy, but the cell phone companies are looking for easy money right now and they'll do whatever it takes to get it.

But, I don't think they're going to pull the upgrade trick to get people off the unlimited plans. We'll see what happens in a few years from now.

cphirman
Jul 5, 2011, 03:55 PM
There seems to be some confusion here. The $10 option is only for feature phones. The lowest option you can get on a smartphone like the iPhone or an Android is the 2GB/$30 plan. There is no savings for people who use less, like there is with ATT's plans.

johnnymg
Jul 5, 2011, 03:59 PM
$50 for 4GB of data for tethered plans.

stop your whining and give me your money: go aapl :D
JohnG

carmenodie
Jul 5, 2011, 04:05 PM
Greedy you know whats!

fahadqureshi
Jul 5, 2011, 04:05 PM
ISPs already do it ...

I hope Sprint doesn't do data caps ... that's why many people are with them. If they chose to be as greedy as AT&T/Verizon, they're going to lose customers. Sprint is known for not raping your wallet, so they should keep it that way.

really? i was not aware of a cap on Uverse service.

edit: nvm found it http://www.att.com/esupport/internet/usage.jsp

Certinfy
Jul 5, 2011, 04:14 PM
Glad I live in the UK !

£10 a month, Unlimited Texts, Unlimited internet and 200 minutes.

No iPhone though I suppose ... HTC Touch 2 instead which can act as a wi-fi router to my iPod Touch :D

As much as I hate this country I can't deny the price of our contracts are pretty awesome :D

antster94
Jul 5, 2011, 04:17 PM
$80 a month or 10GB data?! I get unlimited SMS, calls and data for £25. Those prices seem terrible, almost robbery.

something3153
Jul 5, 2011, 04:28 PM
How again is a grandmother who wants to watch several Netflix HD shows in a month....an abuser? Can someone explain that to me?

Grandma should have wifi at home and be streaming over that. It's what I do. I barely touch data.

Further, streaming HD video over the cell network uses a LOT of data. Phrasing it as "I just want to watch a couple TV shows in the gym" or the countless variants of that I've seen doesn't make it less bandwidth-intensive. Those doing that SHOULD pay considerably more than I do. Maybe if they actually feel the effect of all that data consumption they'll be more careful about using wifi, the cell network will be less congested, and everyone will be happier.

Plutonius
Jul 5, 2011, 04:38 PM

Verizon FIOS will also be capped eventually. In the future, all unlimited plans will disappear.

drummingcraig
Jul 5, 2011, 04:46 PM
Grandma should have wifi at home and be streaming over that. It's what I do. I barely touch data.

Further, streaming HD video over the cell network uses a LOT of data. Phrasing it as "I just want to watch a couple TV shows in the gym" or the countless variants of that I've seen doesn't make it less bandwidth-intensive. Those doing that SHOULD pay considerably more than I do. Maybe if they actually feel the effect of all that data consumption they'll be more careful about using wifi, the cell network will be less congested, and everyone will be happier.

I agree. Watching HD videos on a 4" display (I don't care how good the resolution is) is akin to hunting quail with a howitzer; it works and you can do it, but its not really necessary. I could understand streaming HD on an iPad, but I still don't think I'd be trying to do it often over 3G. Hell I sometimes have trouble streaming SD videos at times.

Technology is evolving at a rate that is almost impossible for mobile data/cell providers to keep up with, especially when combined with the influx of smartphone and netbook/pad users over the past five years. I'm not trying to say that AT&T & VZ are angels, but I certainly understand their predicament. Unlimited plans cannot reasonably exist in the ever growing world of high-bandwidth mobile media content. If for no other reason then to curb the usage of folks who insist on obliterating the data buffet.

macduke
Jul 5, 2011, 04:47 PM
Everyone calm down right now. This forum is quickly turning into the biggest b*tch fest I've ever seen.

This was the quote from the MacRumors article that I based my whole post around:

Verizon spokeswoman Brenda Raney told FierceWireless that new smartphone customers will choose from one of four options: $10 for 75 MB per month, $30 for 2 GB, $50 for 5 GB or $80 for 10 GB. There will be an overage charge of $10 per GB of data. AT&T Mobility charges $15 per month for 200 MB and $25 per month for 2 GB.

So the original article (http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-confirms-it-will-ditch-unlimited-smartphone-data-plans-starting-jul/2011-07-05) must have been updated, as it now reads "choose from one of three options: $30 for 2 GB, $50 for 5 GB or $80 for 10 GB."

So now the $10 plan is only for feature phones, but the old quote says that "choose from one of four options: $10 for 75 MB per month, $30 for 2 GB, $50 for 5 GB or $80 for 10 GB."

So the original article was EDITED. Not my fault.

Absolutely FALSE. These prices are astronomically high.

They aren't astronomically high, but still high, especially given that there is now no low-end option with overage charges, as we were originally led to believe. You would think Verizon would want to bring in some lower-end customers, but apparently they feel confident in their position.

SERIOUSLY. Check your facts online. The 75MB plan does not work on smartphones like the iPhone. To be clear - the 75MB plan is for featurephones only.

I have now checked my facts, and MacRumors needs to check their facts because the original article, as stated above, must have been edited. I'm sorry that I don't have all day to check facts, as I have actual work to get done. MacRumors is usually accurate enough that I don't need to research every one of their articles so that internet trolls like you will pounce all over my comments.

This may be true today, but with the LTE rollout and continued introduction of video services (see: Netflix on Android phones with HDMI output), these caps will quickly become crippling.

Don't forget the iCloud. I think $20 for 2GB and $30 for 4GB seems more reasonable, with perhaps an unlimited option around $45.

Where do you get such crap? Seriously, explain to me HOW people going over are automatic streaming 24/7, etc...? Why do people keep exaggerating to such a thing when making a statement.

We have people on here claiming to use HUNDREDS of GB's per month....and then we have people using 10-15 and somehow being lumped in with them.

Well, I got this alleged "crap" from the article stating decent plans if you start out on the low end, but that's no longer true as the original article was edited. I'm an extremely heavy user and never come close to these figures, so I have no idea what you're talking about. Even when I had a tethering plan before switching back to unlimited on AT&T I was still below 2GB, or half of my available usage. Do that many people go out and stream NetFlix when they're on 3G? I prefer to enjoy movies at home, and the iPhone screen is pretty small for watching anything other than a YouTube video. I prefer either my HDTV or snug in bed with my wife on my iPad 2. In addition, I don't know of many grandmas that have such an active lifestyle that they are out and about streaming HD video movie content to their smart phone. I doubt half of them even have a phone that can play a video. You can talk about numerous posters all you want, but AT&T posted figures from their network, via AppleInsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/06/02/att_announces_iphone_tethering_plans_caps_ipad_3g_data_at_2gb.html):

AT&T will also offer a less expensive data plan, called "DataPlus," which offers 200MB for $15 per month. The carrier noted in its press release that 65 percent of its smartphone customers use less than 200MB per month, while 98 percent use less than 2GB per month.

I doubt AT&T just makes up those figures, despite what the conspiracy theorists in the crowd would like to think. They are a publicly traded company and can't go around making up blatant lies without serious repercussions. Sure, I'll agree that there are numerous people hitting the cap, but this is an enthusiast site. You're not average. Get over it.

IMO, its the pay-out-the-ass while smiling customer's that we dont want on our networks. They give the providers weird perceptions of entitlement;)

No, it's the data-hogging abusers that we don't want on our networks, as they are the reason that I can't even make a fracking phone call on AT&T half the time. And honestly, I think the reason Verizon set their pricing this way is so that all the data-hogging abusers on AT&T don't all come over when their contracts expire. Verizon doesn't want to end up with a crippled network.

All this being said, the thing that everyone needs to realize is that there is now competition in the U.S. for the iPhone. I doubt it will be long before Sprint and T-Mobile (although maybe via AT&T) get their paws on the device and setup perhaps more competitive plans. If Verizon doesn't gain any market share back from AT&T, you can bet that they will adjust their prices. If these are too high, then stay with AT&T. But you also have to realize that most people think Verizon has a superior network, and perhaps maybe, just maybe that requires a premium to keep it in good shape?

If people should complain about anything, complain about the ridiculous rates for texting plans. I'm going to be cancelling mine once iOS 5 launches. Most of my friends have iPhones, and I've been having fun playing with the new messaging system in iOS 5 so far, but only with a couple other friends who also have developer builds.

Lastly, I'm interested to see what happens on the shared data plan front, but based on what I've seen today, I doubt we will be very happy about it. I'm likely to keep my AT&T plan for now as it's cheaper (with FAN discount) and unlimited. Plus my wife wants an iPhone and won't use anywhere near 2GB. 200mb is fine for her. That's the breaking point on the Verizon plan for me. No low-end option at all for someone like my wife who would only check her work email, weather, and the occasional driving directions when out and about. Where are the plans for those users, Verizon? I think that is their biggest mistake, and apparently John Gruber agrees with much of what I've said (http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/07/05/verizon-plans):

“Unlimited” hasn’t worked for the carriers, and has never truly meant unlimited anyway. If you use more than 2 GB per month you’re going to pay more, but this strikes me as fair, because most people don’t use that much data.

What I don’t get is why not offer everyone the $10 for 75 MB plan? Lower the monthly minimum and get more people to switch from feature phones to app phones.

ovrlrd
Jul 5, 2011, 04:53 PM
I am okay with these prices because I don't even use 50MB a month of data. I am always on Wi-Fi with my phone, and even when I am not I don't do any streaming, only email and small amounts of web browsing.

I would say still though that the 75MB plan is too expensive, it should be $5 not $10.

I will probably still end up getting the new iPhone on Verizon (currently on AT&T) and going with the 75MB plan. I can't wait for AT&T to screw me on the ETF.

Swampthing
Jul 5, 2011, 04:56 PM
Verizon FIOS will also be capped eventually. In the future, all unlimited plans will disappear.

I wouldn't hold your breath or bet the house on that one if I were you. It's gonna be a long, long, long time. It isn't even available nationwide yet.

FiOS doesn't just use your fiber to deliver Internet, they use it for your phone and television service too. Putting caps on that might prove incredibly complicated because they would have to separate out your data from all the bandwidth being used for television and phone service... unless you are suggesting the first ever data caps on telephone/television service.

Through FiOS, Verizon makes it's money by bundling home phone, Internet, and television services together. But they do offer different speed levels for different prices.

e-coli
Jul 5, 2011, 04:56 PM
End of the Internet. Hello native apps.

ArchaicRevival
Jul 5, 2011, 05:00 PM
You have one more day left if you wanna be locked into the unlimited data plan!

drummingcraig
Jul 5, 2011, 05:06 PM
I wouldn't hold your breath or bet the house on that one if I were you. It's gonna be a long, long, long time. It isn't even available nationwide yet.

FiOS doesn't just use your fiber to deliver Internet, they use it for your phone and television service too. Putting caps on that might prove incredibly complicated because they would have to separate out your data from all the bandwidth being used for television and phone service... unless you are suggesting the first ever data caps on telephone/television service.

Through FiOS, Verizon makes it's money by bundling home phone, Internet, and television services together. But they do offer different speed levels for different prices.

AT&T UVerse is essentially the same thing. TV, Phone and Web all bundled and it is fiber as well (fiber-to-node), and it is capped (250GB/month). Don't see why that would be any different then what Fios has.

eNcrypTioN
Jul 5, 2011, 05:10 PM
looks like i'm choosing AT&T.

NurJahan
Jul 5, 2011, 05:15 PM
Wow. I thought AT&T plans were terrible, this is WAY worse. Not only is the price high, but you're sort of forced to take the 2 GB plan or higher, since you can do zilch with 75 MB.

PS. I get perfect coverage and signal everywhere I go, so AT&T's "bad reception" is not a problem for me.

sclawis300
Jul 5, 2011, 05:17 PM
I am okay with these prices because I don't even use 50MB a month of data. I am always on Wi-Fi with my phone, and even when I am not I don't do any streaming, only email and small amounts of web browsing.

I would say still though that the 75MB plan is too expensive, it should be $5 not $10.

I will probably still end up getting the new iPhone on Verizon (currently on AT&T) and going with the 75MB plan. I can't wait for AT&T to screw me on the ETF.

that plan is for feature phones. if you get an iphone your cheapest option will be $30.

DiamondMac
Jul 5, 2011, 05:18 PM

Wait, where again is it shown that people watching movies and/or using anywhere over the cap....are slowing down the network?

You keep saying things like "bandwidth-intensive" and "LOT of data" yet you never actually explain HOW it is bandwidth-intensive or how it makes it a "lot" of data

Just stating that a GB or 2 or even 3 over the cap is a "lot" is a bit pathetic considering the data figures are basically doubling/tripling and going higher along with every thread on this forum showing people using well over the caps.

Using 5gb is not a "lot"....Using 10gb is not a "lot"....Using 1,000gb is a "lot" hence years ago when Verizon/AT&T first starting arguing about heavy users they pointed to the people ACTUALLY downloading 24/7 and ACTUALLY using hundreds/thousands of GB's

Now? Now we have people being called "abusers" for several GB's. It would be hilarious if not so pathetic.But yet again, we have someone here who drinks the Kool-Aid and actually believes that people using above the cap are "slowing the network down"....based on what?

Uh....um....Verizon said so! At&t said so!

Brilliant guys.

Well, I got this alleged "crap" from the article stating decent plans if you start out on the low end, but that's no longer true as the original article was edited. I'm an extremely heavy user and never come close to these figures, so I have no idea what you're talking about. Even when I had a tethering plan before switching back to unlimited on AT&T I was still below 2GB, or half of my available usage. Do that many people go out and stream NetFlix when they're on 3G? I prefer to enjoy movies at home, and the iPhone screen is pretty small for watching anything other than a YouTube video. I prefer either my HDTV or snug in bed with my wife on my iPad 2. In addition, I don't know of many grandmas that have such an active lifestyle that they are out and about streaming HD video movie content to their smart phone. I doubt half of them even have a phone that can play a video. You can talk about numerous posters all you want, but AT&T posted figures from their network, via AppleInsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/06/02/att_announces_iphone_tethering_plans_caps_ipad_3g_data_at_2gb.html):

So...you don't answer anything asked and run towards an AppleInsider article that doesn't even remotely answer anything you asked? That it?

Also, the fact that you took my grandma reference literally shows how much you ran from even discussing anything.

something3153
Jul 5, 2011, 05:23 PM
Wait, where again is it shown that people watching movies and/or using anywhere over the cap....are slowing down the network?

You keep saying things like "bandwidth-intensive" and "LOT of data" yet you never actually explain HOW it is bandwidth-intensive or how it makes it a "lot" of data

Just stating that a GB or 2 or even 3 over the cap is a "lot" is a bit pathetic considering the data figures are basically doubling/tripling and going higher along with every thread on this forum showing people using well over the caps.

Using 5gb is not a "lot"....Using 10gb is not a "lot"....Using 1,000gb is a "lot" hence years ago when Verizon/AT&T first starting arguing about heavy users they pointed to the people ACTUALLY downloading 24/7 and ACTUALLY using hundreds/thousands of GB's

Now? Now we have people being called "abusers" for several GB's. It would be hilarious if not so pathetic.But yet again, we have someone here who drinks the Kool-Aid and actually believes that people using above the cap are "slowing the network down"....based on what?

Uh....um....Verizon said so! At&t said so!

Brilliant guys.

I never called anyone an "abuser" for using 5gb. However, they should pay more than someone who rarely breaks 200mb, like me. See how that works? I'd also love to know where you're getting your definition that 10gb/month is "not a lot". On a phone, yes it is. If you're trying to use that as your primary connection, yes, but that's not what it's there for.

And if you don't understand how traffic slows down a network, I really can't go any further with you.

Eric8199
Jul 5, 2011, 05:44 PM
What happens to those of us on iPhones grandfathered in on unlimited data who use mobile hotspot? Can we still add the 2gb usage whenever we want, or do we have to keep it or lose it once the new plans go into effect?

DakotaGuy
Jul 5, 2011, 06:05 PM
If you have ever lived in a 3rd world country, this will be like going back.

We are going backwards.

Nobody likes this except the greedy b@stards at the companies who dish out ridiculous bonuses to the top @ssh0l3s who comes up with this crap.

The company who decides to sustain unlimited data will win in the end and get my money the right way

Things are only going to get worse. The AT&T T-Mobile merger only takes away another Nationwide player. A lot of analysts are saying that Verizon could likely make an offer for Sprint if the DoJ and FCC sign off on the AT&T T-moble merger. Whether we like it or not we are heading to a duopoly in the US cell industry. Expect to pay more and get less just like in the old MaBell days when AT&T controlled everything.

clibinarius
Jul 5, 2011, 06:13 PM

This is why I bought a Palm Pixi and I'm glad I did without a contract, but I believe other phones are approaching the same price. I know how to work WebOS if I need to, its a useful backup phone, it was dirt cheap, and I can get an LTE phone in a couple of months. Contrary to the rumors, I can only see Apple moving the iPhone to September because of the next-generation LTE chips should finally be giving decent yields in September and don't crush the battery like the current generation...

Contrary to what you read on this board, Apple needs an ace in the hole to beat the Galaxy S II, as the Galaxy S II is a huge threat OUTSIDE of America. So I think the iPhone 5 will blow away expectations on capabilities...

But I have been wrong before (iPhone in June). Second Generation LTE chips are the only reason I see it being delayed though...

Personal note: If the iPhone 5 is merely a speedbump with iOS 5, I am going Android or upgraded WebOS...

skellener
Jul 5, 2011, 06:17 PM
How do you even offer a plan with 75MB in 2011??

ovrlrd
Jul 5, 2011, 06:36 PM
that plan is for feature phones. if you get an iphone your cheapest option will be $30.

Well that's just absurd, oh well, guess my bill will go up when switching to Verizon. So much for their "amazing prices."

Swampthing
Jul 5, 2011, 06:43 PM
AT&T UVerse is essentially the same thing. TV, Phone and Web all bundled and it is fiber as well (fiber-to-node), and it is capped (250GB/month). Don't see why that would be any different then what Fios has.

Nope. AT&T U-Verse is a form of DSL, not fiber. Read it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uverse

Can't compare apples to oranges. Fiber TO HOME is FAR faster than anything U-Verse offers. Right now I'm running 50/20MB on FiOS and they have 100MB packages for business. U-verse barely burps out 24MB at "max turbo."

littleasian
Jul 5, 2011, 06:48 PM
these prices are beyond terrible. people don't realize it but a smartphone even when you're not using it will still use data, especially if you've got tons of widgets/email/weather apps activated.

im on att with the 15/mon 200 mb plan and even though i have wifi at home and school, i still get close to about 100-150 mb/mon and thats with light usage.

honestly its sad that the US being such an industrialized country, we're forced to pay some of the highest prices amongst all industrialized countries for stuff like internet/3g.

bbplayer5
Jul 5, 2011, 06:52 PM
To the people in this thread that think these prices are good... You dont have LTE yet. Your phone wont have it for over a year from now. I regularly use 15gb a month with netflix, pandora, and downloading my apps over LTE rather than wifi.

iPhones wont suffer from huge data like android phones because well... iPhones are easier to sync your apps since they are on the computer. Android phones on LTE its faster to simple download all of them over your data connection, without the option to use your PC/Mac.

This is bad for the business, so get in while you can.

Nostromo
Jul 5, 2011, 06:58 PM
Does anybody here see anything valuable in Verizon's offerings?

Looks like they are strongly counting on people going over their limits and raking in premium fines for that.

DakotaGuy
Jul 5, 2011, 07:26 PM
honestly its sad that the US being such an industrialized country, we're forced to pay some of the highest prices amongst all industrialized countries for stuff like internet/3g.

Well I believe that Sprint and T-Mobile are more affordable, but then again they don't offer the same level of service or phone selection. If you do want to pay less those companies (at least for now) are much more competitive on their prices.

swingerofbirch
Jul 5, 2011, 07:29 PM
I just called VZW and they said I could add the $30 unlimited to my current feature phone and grandfather the plan onto a smartphone later on (but not vice versa). I'd be paying $30 a month for nothing till I upgraded to the new iPhone. Hrmmm . . .

But it is an interesting thought as I've seen other people imply they'd have to upgrade to a new smartphone now and pay the unsubsidized price for the new iPhone when it comes out. You can save your eligibility upgrade and just pay for the data instead for the time being, even, as if in my case, you currently have no use for it. What a weird, weird business model that causes consumers to jump through such convolutions.

marksman
Jul 5, 2011, 07:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nope... As with att, on the small plan you get charged the plan cost for the plan amount so youll get raped hard by overages. With att if you go over 200mb they charge you $15 more for 200mb more. Verizons newest leak has $10/75mb when you go over.
Edit: apparently the 75mb plan isnt even available for smartphones so its a moot point

That is not true though. With AT&T you have until the end of the billing cycle to go up to the $25 2 gig plan, retroactively.

So you only pay those overage prices if you don't modify your plan for that billing cycle.

Otherwise you get up to 1.8 more gigs of data for $10 on AT&T.

kjs862
Jul 5, 2011, 07:34 PM
Does anyone know if you can browse and talk on Verizon's 4G network? If so, I will be switching from ATT to VZW

Cobra502
Jul 5, 2011, 07:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

http://web12.twitpic.com/img/338742853-a3c0525b9bb08a0af4b9d2dd592783ca.4e135120-full.png

I did the same thing while owning a POS samsung blackjack 2 and I had no problem while on AT&T.

Tilpots
Jul 5, 2011, 07:46 PM
I just called VZW and they said I could add the $30 unlimited to my current feature phone and grandfather the plan onto a smartphone later on (but not vice versa). I'd be paying $30 a month for nothing till I upgraded to the new iPhone. Hrmmm . . .

But it is an interesting thought as I've seen other people imply they'd have to upgrade to a new smartphone now and pay the unsubsidized price for the new iPhone when it comes out. You can save your eligibility upgrade and just pay for the data instead for the time being, even, as if in my case, you currently have no use for it. What a weird, weird business model that causes consumers to jump through such convolutions.

This is false! Call the sales department (not CS) and try to add the unlimited package to a feature phone, then tell them why. You must have a smart phone with unlimited data to be grandfathered. Please do this and confirm it here for us so we can end this myth.

skate71290
Jul 5, 2011, 07:47 PM
Wow, even the worst UK networks are better, my Hutchinson 3 network plan consists of 10000 minutes, 6000 texts, Unlimited Data (no invisible cap) and free tethering, it is used as my home broadband, saving me £25pm and everywhere I get signal it's always 3G never 2G, all for £35pm and the iPhone 4 for free!

You idiotic Americans dig your own graves: people with low cash buy these phones with **** plans, go over the limits, get hammered with charges. Unable to pay, get hammered by the banks. The contract is cancelled, Verizon lose money, the banks lose money, the customer has dug a hole through to China... Same with everything else, you dip***** don't think more than 5 minutes into the future..... And what's even better is that in a few years, all these companies will reintroduce unlimited data and everyone will rejoice! :mad:

swingerofbirch
Jul 5, 2011, 08:08 PM
Wow, even the worst UK networks are better, my Hutchinson 3 network plan consists of 10000 minutes, 6000 texts, Unlimited Data (no invisible cap) and free tethering, it is used as my home broadband, saving me £25pm and everywhere I get signal it's always 3G never 2G, all for £35pm and the iPhone 4 for free!

You idiotic Americans dig your own graves: people with low cash buy these phones with **** plans, go over the limits, get hammered with charges. Unable to pay, get hammered by the banks. The contract is cancelled, Verizon lose money, the banks lose money, the customer has dug a hole through to China... Same with everything else, you dip***** don't think more than 5 minutes into the future..... And what's even better is that in a few years, all these companies will reintroduce unlimited data and everyone will rejoice! :mad:

We idiotic Americans should keep to ourselves so as not to spread our madness around the world. On behalf of all Americans, I want to apologize for our involvement in World War II. I want to apologize for our continued presence as a known defender of the Western world, allowing countries like the UK to spend money on health care and education instead of the world's most powerful military. It is a bit silly of us to spend money defending all of Europe when we should spend it on ourselves and our phone plans.

Popeye206
Jul 5, 2011, 08:23 PM
Wow... seems a little on the pricy side.

I wonder how they think they can do this sort of pricing with T-mobile practically giving away data for $20. Seems like competition will kick back in soon and bring these prices back under control.

pyro008
Jul 5, 2011, 08:25 PM
Wow, so we can get reasonably priced plans if we are actually able to pay for them and don't exceed caps? Sign me up for that!

richardsonrs
Jul 5, 2011, 08:33 PM
Nope. AT&T U-Verse is a iform of DSL, not fiber. Read it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uverse

Can't compare apples to oranges. Fiber TO HOME is FAR faster than anything U-Verse offers. Right now I'm running 50/20MB on FiOS and they have 100MB packages for business. U-verse barely burps out 24MB at "max turbo."

He's not comparing speeds. He is saying it's all data. And he is correct. Doesn't matter how the DATA gets there, they still know what is what. FIOS WILL be capped as well, bet on it.

Just a side note. Fiber to the node mean it's guess what? FIBER to the node. Where it's changed from fiber to copper for delivery to the home. FIOS's node is simply at the home. But honestly I'm running 24/3 on COPPER. That's pretty damn awesome and ATT is not bankrupting themselves by running fiber to people's houses. FIOS isn't rolling out quickly because V CANNOT afford it. It will kill them in the long if it's not adopted faster. All this is just kinda extra and really has nothing to do with anything.

Chupa Chupa
Jul 5, 2011, 08:39 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Funny thing is this effectively makes us in the U.S. all locked to our respective iPhone carrier even after our contacts expire. I have no incentive to move to Verizon since I'm grandfathered w/ ATT. It's not a huge deal to me, just an observation.

conundrumz
Jul 5, 2011, 08:42 PM
The beginning of a slow death for data devices. Who has the disposable income to throw away on this frivolousness?

I'm getting a new basic cell phone.

pyro008
Jul 5, 2011, 08:43 PM
Technology is evolving at a rate that is almost impossible for mobile data/cell providers to keep up with, especially when combined with the influx of smartphone and netbook/pad users over the past five years. I'm not trying to say that AT&T & VZ are angels, but I certainly understand their predicament. Unlimited plans cannot reasonably exist in the ever growing world of high-bandwidth mobile media content. If for no other reason then to curb the usage of folks who insist on obliterating the data buffet.
Its not unlimited plans or the lack of them that has most people angered. It's the ridiculous prices on all wireless services. $40 per month for 450 voice minutes? Seriously? $20 for texting? $25 for a small amount of data? Then there's the taxes and fees tacked on there just in case you don't quite feel you're being overcharged enough. $300 per year for 24GB (which I cannot use any way I please)? I can use 24GB in a day on my home internet. And I thought $60 a month from comcast was bad...

Popeye206
Jul 5, 2011, 08:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Funny thing is this effectively makes us in the U.S. all locked to our respective iPhone carrier even after our contacts expire. I have no incentive to move to Verizon since I'm grandfathered w/ ATT. It's not a huge deal to me, just an observation.

You have a great point... hopefully there is more choices soon in carriers to bring the playing field back in line.

crisss1205
Jul 5, 2011, 08:46 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

Check the landmass of the United States and then compare that to the UK.

mKizzo
Jul 5, 2011, 08:56 PM
The only good thing in Taiwan:
iPhone is factory unlocked
Unlimited data for 20USD a month

Sorry to all those Americanos, sounds like u guys are getting raped over there.

twoodcc
Jul 5, 2011, 09:02 PM
hopefully this means the iPhone 5 is coming sooner rather than later

Nukemkb
Jul 5, 2011, 09:03 PM
Never felt so good to be "grandfathered"! :)

Burger King
Jul 5, 2011, 09:15 PM
This is false! Call the sales department (not CS) and try to add the unlimited package to a feature phone, then tell them why. You must have a smart phone with unlimited data to be grandfathered. Please do this and confirm it here for us so we can end this myth.

I have an LG EnV Touch with unlimited data.
Is it a smart or feature phone?
Had to switch to unlimited when Verizon changed their plans when adding the Iphone.

According to Verizon's websight the unlimited data is also good for feature phones.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=familyShare&action=viewFSPlanList&typeId=2&catId=323&sel=fam

longofest
Jul 5, 2011, 09:25 PM
Wow... seems a little on the pricy side.

I'm entering the conversation late, but I agree with these sentiments. AT&T's plans beat the socks off these Verizon numbers. I mainly think that when companies go from unlimited -> capped plans, they should give a price break (http://www.techperfect.net/2011/07/unlimited-data-plans-can-hurt-average-consumer/) like AT&T did.

AT&T's unlimited plan was $30, and then they made 2GB $25, 200 MB $15. Verizon is going from a $30 unlimited to $30 for 2GB, and $10 for a paltry 75 MB. There's no real savings there.

swingerofbirch
Jul 5, 2011, 09:27 PM

I did call back (to CS again) and this agent said the exact opposite of the previous, in agreement with what you are saying. He said that I could get an unlimited plan now on my feature phone but it couldn't transfer because the $30 feature phone plan has a different name in their system than the $30 smartphone plan and that any changes disrupt the grandfathering magic (my paraphrasing of what he said).

However, the previous rep I spoke to was very clear that the opposite was true. I asked him if he was sure and even asked if he could guarantee I could transfer the plan to a future iPhone, and he said he would double check, and then he came back and said he was sure.

I tend to believe the second one I spoke to because it seemed like he had a bit more precise knowledge and did some more investigation than the first, so you're probably right. I think

Update: Before I posted this I decided to call one more time, this time to sales like you suggested. Like a lawyer I walked him through what I wanted to do very carefully multiple times. And he confirmed multiple times I could add a $29.99 unlimited data plan to my LG Dare (feature phone) and be grandfathered into an updated iPhone in the future with the same plan. I recorded the last call just in case.

mangoduck
Jul 5, 2011, 09:31 PM
am i the only one who read this as "verizon's TIRED iphone data plans..." ?

Nostromo
Jul 5, 2011, 09:34 PM

Image (http://web12.twitpic.com/img/338742853-a3c0525b9bb08a0af4b9d2dd592783ca.4e135120-full.png)

If this is true, a great tip.

I've been with Verizon for over two years, and I'm thinking of an iPhone 5 when it comes out.

winston1236
Jul 5, 2011, 10:02 PM
10 for 75 mb is outrageously high

Nostromo
Jul 5, 2011, 10:12 PM
10 for 75 mb is outrageously high

You could also say 75Mb is outrageously useless for $10 :)

rock15478
Jul 5, 2011, 10:58 PM
Look, I think a lot of people are missing the point here. Argue about who "abuses" their data usage all you want or what the true numbers really are, but quite frankly, I just like the peace of mind of not having to worry about it. That's why I upgraded two weeks ago to lock myself into unlimited for sure...I don't think anyone is "abusing" anything if their plan is truly unlimited. But here's the real kicker that hasn't even came into play heavily yet:

iCloud. For you iPhone users... don't you understand that one of the huge benefits of the new iCloud service is going to suck up a ton of data usage? You plan on streaming your itunes library on your iphone when you're in you car? Yeah, good luck getting wifi while you're driving down the highway.

For me, I'm a new Google Music Beta user. It's fantastic. Uploaded my entire itunes library (it did this all for me) and all 15,000 songs of uncompressed music is on the cloud, and able to be steamed via my phone with the Google Music app. I no longer have a need for my iPod. But you don't think that's not going to suck up some data usage?

Point is this... technology is changing and with the announcement of iCloud and services like Google Music beta, carriers realize that users are going to become more and more dependent on needing data... and like someone else already said in this thread, regardless of how absurd the pricing is, users like us just keep standing in line signing up for it... because we can't live without it. It's sad but true. The benefits of the cloud are great when it comes to being able to have your entire music library at your fingertips wherever you are, all your videos/photos automatically under the hood just sync for you. No more syncing with a cable or an ipod, etc... So yeah, I think carriers are truly tuning into where this technology is going. It's not so much a matter of how much data we're using now, but how much data we're going to be using in the future.

Like it or not, this is where it's going.

Geckotek
Jul 5, 2011, 11:01 PM
Google Music is a good example, but afaik iCloud won't be streaming your music.

yiyopr
Jul 5, 2011, 11:13 PM

You're going to grandfather the unlimited plan with any new phone you get now. So you can buy the iphone 4S or 5 and still have unlimited data. Hooray for us! :cool:

jdawgnoonan
Jul 5, 2011, 11:25 PM
I will not pay 30 dollars for 2GB of data. I have used iPhones and android phones for four about years now and I love them all....but I will quit using a smartphone before I pay 30 dollars for 2GB of data. Streaming music makes a smartphone worthy of the investment....2GB is not worth it.

einmusiker
Jul 5, 2011, 11:28 PM
I will not pay 30 dollars for 2GB of data. I have used iPhones and android phones for four about years now and I love them all....but I will quit using a smartphone before I pay 30 dollars for 2GB of data. Streaming music makes a smartphone worthy of the investment....2GB is not worth it.

Especially LTE data, which will get eaten in a day

jdawgnoonan
Jul 5, 2011, 11:30 PM
I'm entering the conversation late, but I agree with these sentiments. AT&T's plans beat the socks off these Verizon numbers. I mainly think that when companies go from unlimited -> capped plans, they should give a price break (http://www.techperfect.net/2011/07/unlimited-data-plans-can-hurt-average-consumer/) like AT&T did.

AT&T's unlimited plan was $30, and then they made 2GB $25, 200 MB $15. Verizon is going from a $30 unlimited to $30 for 2GB, and $10 for a paltry 75 MB. There's no real savings there.

I agree....AT&T is now better than Verizon.

moore2772
Jul 5, 2011, 11:35 PM

I am a low data user on AT&T. I have the 200 MB plan. It is always adequate for my needs, as I have wifi at home and at work. $15 for 200MB is OK. But $10 for just 75 MB is terrible. I routinely use at least 100 MB. The Verizon plan would cost me 1/3 more than I'm now paying with AT&T. Seems like Verizon should have a more realistic bottom tier.

lilcosco08
Jul 6, 2011, 12:01 AM
I have an LG EnV Touch with unlimited data.
Is it a smart or feature phone?
Had to switch to unlimited when Verizon changed their plans when adding the Iphone.

According to Verizon's websight the unlimited data is also good for feature phones.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=familyShare&action=viewFSPlanList&typeId=2&catId=323&sel=fam

feature

idunn
Jul 6, 2011, 12:43 AM
;) Companies such as Apple are avidly promoting cloud computing, which in most every respect would seem to be the future.

Meanwhile internet providers are seemingly intent on doing just the opposite, raising prices and throttling access back into the stone age.

JadedOne
Jul 6, 2011, 06:20 AM

Image (http://i54.tinypic.com/f445n9.png)

When I read this, its $10 for the first 75 (worthless) and then $10 for EVERY 75mb there after (rip off).

Why are people saying $10 for 75mb then $10 up to 1gig? That is completely wrong or is it because i have had only one cup of coffee?

TurnerMan
Jul 6, 2011, 06:49 AM
Reading is fundamental. Grandfather clause?

Popeye206
Jul 6, 2011, 06:51 AM
When I read this, its $10 for the first 75 (worthless) and then $10 for EVERY 75mb there after (rip off).

Why are people saying $10 for 75mb then $10 up to 1gig? That is completely wrong or is it because i have had only one cup of coffee?

It is crazy. THe low end data amount is too small. I'm a light user of 3G and I'm at 150MBs a month easy. They are almost forcing you into a $20 minimum.

Personally, I think this is all designed to stop you from using your cell phone as a wireless hub once 4G is more available.

w0by
Jul 6, 2011, 07:36 AM
$80 a month for crappy and out of date wireless phone internet. I hope this includes free tethering and lube then then. I pay $30 a month for 22mbps download at my home. Sounds like a scam to me. Americans love to ******* Americans.

w0by
Jul 6, 2011, 07:42 AM
Americans sit here and eat it up too. If I didn't have unlimited data through AT&T, I would just move on over to Sprint. If Sprint didn't have it, guess what, no "smart phone" for me. Screw these huge companies that are screwing their customers.

malexandria
Jul 6, 2011, 08:14 AM
In most cases consumers don't have much choice because we're locked in these Draconian Contracts with huge ETFs. I have Verizon's 4G Hotspot plan and my first bill is wrong to the tune of $40. I had their phone service for two years and the f'ers had my bill incorrect almost every month to the tune of hundreds of dollars.

Instead of constantly fighting them this time, I'm just canceling my service and paying the $175 ETF - to get them out of my life. Most consumers can't afford to do this. Not to mention they seem to throttle my service to 3G levels once I hit 6 GB.

And we need phones, in the US we only have 3 options Verizon, Sprint or AT&T. Can't count TMobile anymore because once AT&T takes them over next year you can guarantee their prices will suck.

Thunderhawks
Jul 6, 2011, 08:26 AM
In most cases consumers don't have much choice because we're locked in these Draconian Contracts with huge ETFs. I have Verizon's 4G Hotspot plan and my first bill is wrong to the tune of $40. I had their phone service for two years and the f'ers had my bill incorrect almost every month to the tune of hundreds of dollars.

Instead of constantly fighting them this time, I'm just canceling my service and paying the $175 ETF - to get them out of my life. Most consumers can't afford to do this. Not to mention they seem to throttle my service to 3G levels once I hit 6 GB.

And we need phones, in the US we only have 3 options Verizon, Sprint or AT&T. Can't count TMobile anymore because once AT&T takes them over next year you can guarantee their prices will suck.

Why would you pay an ETF?

You PORT your number to a new provider citing that their service in your area is terrible. Let them prove it's not! They won't make the effort or take the time.

When porting they wave the ETF as their service isn't as promised!

sotorious
Jul 6, 2011, 08:38 AM

Well it should be able to be granted into the next one or the next time you get a new phone as long as you dont remove the plan and re add it.

sclawis300
Jul 6, 2011, 08:48 AM
I agree....AT&T is now better than Verizon.

Not if you are trying to make a call. Bazinga.

drummingcraig
Jul 6, 2011, 09:05 AM
Nope. AT&T U-Verse is a form of DSL, not fiber. Read it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uverse

I didn't say it was identical. Its still fiber and its still data. See next post below:

He's not comparing speeds. He is saying it's all data. And he is correct. Doesn't matter how the DATA gets there, they still know what is what. FIOS WILL be capped as well, bet on it.

Just a side note. Fiber to the node mean it's guess what? FIBER to the node. Where it's changed from fiber to copper for delivery to the home. FIOS's node is simply at the home. But honestly I'm running 24/3 on COPPER. That's pretty damn awesome and ATT is not bankrupting themselves by running fiber to people's houses. FIOS isn't rolling out quickly because V CANNOT afford it. It will kill them in the long if it's not adopted faster. All this is just kinda extra and really has nothing to do with anything.

Thank you.

pdjudd
Jul 6, 2011, 09:18 AM
Why would you pay an ETF?

You PORT your number to a new provider citing that their service in your area is terrible. Let them prove it's not! They won't make the effort or take the time.

When porting they wave the ETF as their service isn't as promised!

Unfortunately that's not how it works. The ETF is tied to your contract - not the porting of the number. Generally the only way an ETF is waived is when the carrier violated the contract not the customer.

You port after you terminate the contract. Not before.

beany boy
Jul 6, 2011, 09:39 AM
Not if you are trying to make a call. Bazinga.

Another mindless "At least I can make a call" post.

Tilpots
Jul 6, 2011, 10:13 AM
I did call back (to CS again) and this agent said the exact opposite of the previous, in agreement with what you are saying. He said that I could get an unlimited plan now on my feature phone but it couldn't transfer because the $30 feature phone plan has a different name in their system than the $30 smartphone plan and that any changes disrupt the grandfathering magic (my paraphrasing of what he said).

However, the previous rep I spoke to was very clear that the opposite was true. I asked him if he was sure and even asked if he could guarantee I could transfer the plan to a future iPhone, and he said he would double check, and then he came back and said he was sure.

I tend to believe the second one I spoke to because it seemed like he had a bit more precise knowledge and did some more investigation than the first, so you're probably right. I think

Update: Before I posted this I decided to call one more time, this time to sales like you suggested. Like a lawyer I walked him through what I wanted to do very carefully multiple times. And he confirmed multiple times I could add a $29.99 unlimited data plan to my LG Dare (feature phone) and be grandfathered into an updated iPhone in the future with the same plan. I recorded the last call just in case.

I truly, truly hope that works! I just dont believe it will though. I went ahead and bought the Palm Pixi to be sure. It was worth for me. Again, I really wish you luck, and recording the call was a great idea. Hopefully when the new iPhones out, we'll both have unlimited!!!

sziring
Jul 6, 2011, 10:14 AM
$10 is for featured phones only. I did speak to a Verizon rep that told me you can change your plan on the fly for an unlimited number of times. So there is a loophole of sorts. Say you are on a 2 gig plan and wind up using 4+ gig's in a month, just call and change the plan to the 5 gig one before the billing cycle closes out. You will have to call back up and change it back to the lower plan after you get billed.

$10 = 0 - 0.075GB
$20 = 0.075GB - 1.075GB
$30 = 1.075GB - 2.075GB.

Instead of a constant $30 a month, people who have erratic monthly usage but consistently stay under 2GB will benefit with $10 or $20 data bills sometimes.

sclawis300
Jul 6, 2011, 10:22 AM
Another mindless "At least I can make a call" post.

Another defensive AT&T User post.

theelysium
Jul 6, 2011, 11:06 AM

They already do! If you transfer too much data you will get a letter form your internet provider. Just, because they say it's unlimited doesn't mean it really is! It's unlimited under expected use conditions.

Fire up a torrent app and leave it on for a week! You'll get a stop it letter.

DiamondMac
Jul 6, 2011, 11:11 AM
And if you don't understand how traffic slows down a network, I really can't go any further with you.

So that is your way of not even remotely answering the question of how people using between 5gb-10gb (or that range) actually "slow down" the network?

Traffic numbers on the whole go up...nobody argues that.

Yet this idea of people using a few GB and THUS being the reason for a network slowdown are not just laughable but utterly ridiculous and not ONE PERSON has ever shown how or why this rumor keeps on living

Give me actually proof. Stop living off the general statements given to us daily by Verizon and AT&T

theelysium
Jul 6, 2011, 11:13 AM
I thought AT&T's data tier was bad.... damn I'm glad I'm not with the, "Can you hear me now?" company! Pretty soon it will be "Can you email me now? Do you have data available?"

theelysium
Jul 6, 2011, 11:24 AM

So that is your way of not even remotely answering the question of how people using between 5gb-10gb (or that range) actually "slow down" the network?

Yet this idea of people using a few GB and THUS being the reason for a network slowdown are not just laughable but utterly ridiculous and not ONE PERSON has ever shown how or why this rumor keeps on living

Give me actually proof. Stop living off the general statements given to us daily by Verizon and AT&T

These companies don't want you to know the truth. Either their network is fine and they want to rape our pocket books or they are truly hurting on a daily basis, but won't tell the public the truth because they fear that their network will be lambasted as inferior, not capable of their needed capacity and lose customers or they know of technologies in the near future that will be available on their networks that will cause a huge data pull. Which if that's the case then we have two scenarios. They know the future products and want to make a killing off of people using FaceTime, etc over LTE or they need to limit the data, because the new technology is far more advanced then their networks... or both.

rock15478
Jul 6, 2011, 11:30 AM
Google Music is a good example, but afaik iCloud won't be streaming your music.

No, but they'll be "pushing" to all your devices. Your iphone is one of those devices, and unless you're doing this via wifi, it's going to eat up data.

sclawis300
Jul 6, 2011, 11:35 AM
Man, I was really looking forward to tethering my imac to my iphone and downloading Lion super fast on Verizon's 4g network...oh wait, I forgot. My iphone isn't 4g capable. oh well.

macduke
Jul 6, 2011, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I'm still going to wait and see how this all shakes out, but it's looking likely that I will stay with AT&T. Ouch...it burns. But that seems likely now. Sad, I want to switch, but they're all making it so hard for me to give them my money.

Hopefully the T-Mobile acquisition will boost AT&T's network and make it usable in any sort of populated area and the less populated areas that my wife has to drive through to help lower-income families with autistic children. I worry about her breaking down without coverage in the middle of nowhere. Wish we had OnStar or something in her car. That would fix my biggest worry.

Ivabign
Jul 6, 2011, 12:38 PM
My son has a 3Env with no data, but an upgrade on 8/22 and he has already told me he wants an iPhone 5 for his upgrade. I just added unlimited data to his phone in the hopes he will be grandfathered in when we upgrade. I mean, if I am going to HAVE to pay $30 for 2gb anyway, we might as well see if he can get unlimited for the same amount. These family data plans can't come soon enough. No one here uses much data. But who knows about the future.

(2 iPhone 4's.. Soon to be 3)

Burger King
Jul 6, 2011, 01:51 PM
My son has a 3Env with no data, but an upgrade on 8/22 and he has already told me he wants an iPhone 5 for his upgrade. I just added unlimited data to his phone in the hopes he will be grandfathered in when we upgrade. I mean, if I am going to HAVE to pay $30 for 2gb anyway, we might as well see if he can get unlimited for the same amount. These family data plans can't come soon enough. No one here uses much data. But who knows about the future.

(2 iPhone 4's.. Soon to be 3)

It shouldn't be a problem since you won't be changing your plan. Just adding the Iphone in place of the EnV and agreeing to continue your plan for another 2 years.

Geckotek
Jul 6, 2011, 02:35 PM

It's a fairly easily understood concept. What part do you not understand? You expect someone to go pull log files off the network swithches?

Nobody needs proof to understand this. Take it from the networking experts and accept it.....because even if you were provided the logs I'm sure they would mean nothing to you.

splashnader
Jul 6, 2011, 03:39 PM
I know several people at my office who would be willing to pay as much as $60 or even $70 a month if a provider offered unlimited data, with no caps. For those people it's the peace of mind of being able to use as much data as they need, without having to worry about overages. Of course those same people are willing to pay out the nose for unlimited every thing, calling, data, texting, etc. The problem is that a lot of people, if given the option, will almost always pay less for a service if they are more frugal with their usage.. The fact is, the frugal shopper will pay a lot less and use less with these tiered plans. So for the 30% or so of consumers who value a bargain over almost every thing else, they will see this as a reason to purchase a smartphone, like the iPhone. Whereas they may have shied away from such a large data price that offered unlimited data, simply because they didn't want to overpay for a feature or service that they would hardly use. This will open up a larger market for Verizon. That is what the company is looking at.

swingerofbirch
Jul 6, 2011, 04:01 PM
I am nervous today . . . trying to decide whether to add unlimited data to my LG Dare to get grandfathered in . . . it seems both crazy and smart at the same time. I keep telling myself I need to calm down first to rationally think about this, but I feel like I can't calm down to think rationally until I make a decision, quite a catch 22. I don't know if Verizon intended people to run like rats off a sinking ship like this toward buying a data plan, but it's kind of working in my case if they intended it . . .

XX55XX
Jul 6, 2011, 04:35 PM
Data caps are the future, people. I have no doubt that Verizon will introduce a data cap for their DSL plans in the future. High switching costs for consumers ensure that customer service falls by the wayside.

The telecoms are cartels. They might not actively collude with one another, but they certainly follow up on one another quite quickly...

Personally, I think that Verzion should have kept the unlimited plan, charge more for it, and justify the additional cost by adding more infrastructure. That would be fairer. But, companies would rather add data caps because that doesn't require a major capital investment.

mlblacy
Jul 6, 2011, 05:57 PM
Data caps are the future, people. I have no doubt that Verizon will introduce a data cap for their DSL plans in the future. High switching costs for consumers ensure that customer service falls by the wayside.
The telecoms are cartels. They might not actively collude with one another, but they certainly follow up on one another quite quickly...

Not that I needed convincing, Verizon sucks.
But maybe I should change that to... sucks the life out of its customers.
And I have been a customer for 10+ years...
michael

Lara F
Jul 6, 2011, 07:05 PM
I am nervous today . . . trying to decide whether to add unlimited data to my LG Dare to get grandfathered in . . . it seems both crazy and smart at the same time. I keep telling myself I need to calm down first to rationally think about this, but I feel like I can't calm down to think rationally until I make a decision, quite a catch 22. I don't know if Verizon intended people to run like rats off a sinking ship like this toward buying a data plan, but it's kind of working in my case if they intended it . . .

FYI, I went to two Verizon stores today and both employees stated that adding data to a feature phone would NOT work. I have an old Verizon flip phone, so it's an option I'd have considered.

Both assured me that 3G unlimited plans would be grandfathered when I upgrade to LTE in the future. For that, I ended up biting the bullet and getting a white iPhone 4 with my final NE2 discount. Probably the best piece of equipment I ever bought for $150 (yay for tax free states!) I'm giving myself the two weeks to test it out but the signal is pretty good so far. It may well be so long AT&T...

arogge
Jul 6, 2011, 07:23 PM
$10 = 0 - 0.075GB
$20 = 0.075GB - 1.075GB
$30 = 1.075GB - 2.075GB.

I also saw this when I looked at the new pricing plan. It makes more economic sense to pay for less and then pay extra for what you actually use. I might only use 75 MB at most, because most of what I'm interested in is e-mail and maybe some images. I don't really need to stream audio and video, and if I did, I'd probably not care about paying extra for the delivery. I cringe at having to pay $30 or more per month extra for my purposes, when I'm basically being charged for consumers to stream entertainment at my expense of available bandwidth. If I could get the monthly price of an iPhone down to $10 or so, I'd be more willing to pay the extra fee for the smartphone service.

AppleScruff1
Jul 6, 2011, 09:54 PM
I'd like to see everyone stop using data completely. You'd see how fast the prices would drop and the unlimited plans would be back in no time.

swingerofbirch
Jul 6, 2011, 09:58 PM
FYI, I went to two Verizon stores today and both employees stated that adding data to a feature phone would NOT work. I have an old Verizon flip phone, so it's an option I'd have considered.

Both assured me that 3G unlimited plans would be grandfathered when I upgrade to LTE in the future. For that, I ended up biting the bullet and getting a white iPhone 4 with my final NE2 discount. Probably the best piece of equipment I ever bought for $150 (yay for tax free states!) I'm giving myself the two weeks to test it out but the signal is pretty good so far. It may well be so long AT&T...

Yeah, you're right. In spite of Verizon assuring me on I believe 3 phone calls in total that I could add it to a feature phone and later transfer it, at this point I don't believe you can. I called into the sales department tonight to add it, and the woman I talked to said I couldn't (there seems to be a game where every other representative says you can or can't in alternating order). However, she had me wait while she pulled up a FAQ the representatives had received today and one of the questions was specifically whether I could do what I was trying to do and the answer was no. So apparently a lot of people have been trying to do the same thing.

I realized that for one thing, it's OK, because I don't like having to make decisions under the threat of deadlines, and I hadn't really decided on whether I wanted an iPhone yet or not--I was sort of making the decision out of a frenzied state of mind. Plus, I am not a very mobile person, and there are fairly few places I go that don't have WiFi, so I may be OK even if I get an iPhone later.

I don't know how accurate or helpful this is, but I found it helpful as a guideline, one of the reps pointed it out to me:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/splash_includes/datacalculator.html

It makes it look like your data use situation would be pretty dire without unlimited, but I have to remind myself I am not too often without WiFi.

At least this way, I have some time to clear my head. I have also been thinking of getting a MacBook Air--not that it's mutually exclusive to getting an iPhone--but I just have time to think now and act on desire rather than fear.

kfergiez
Jul 6, 2011, 10:00 PM
I feel the need to announce this.

I spoke with Verizon about these tiered data plans. In the past, they MADE you get a $30 data plan for all smart phones, then the cheaper plans for "feature" phone. It turns out, this is still true.

You HAVE to get the $30 plan if you have a smartphone... Sorry, no cheap option for iPhones... bummer.

swingerofbirch
Jul 6, 2011, 10:04 PM
I'd like to see everyone stop using data completely. You'd see how fast the prices would drop and the unlimited plans would be back in no time.

Haven't people tried that with gasoline?

I don't think it has much impact, but I can't say it would be the same with data. I think what you would need for it to work would be an organized union of consumers. And I doubt even sure then that you could get everyone to commit. Perhaps some bargaining of some sort, though. Although, still, you have to have something you're willing to withhold. I guess you could have union members threaten to not pay their bill. Ehh, I don't know. It would take a lot of thought and organization.

AppleScruff1
Jul 6, 2011, 10:11 PM
Haven't people tried that with gasoline?

I don't think it has much impact, but I can't say it would be the same with data. I think what you would need for it to work would be an organized union of consumers. And I doubt even sure then that you could get everyone to commit. Perhaps some bargaining of some sort, though. Although, still, you have to have something you're willing to withhold. I guess you could have union members threaten to not pay their bill. Ehh, I don't know. It would take a lot of thought and organization.

It won't work with gas because people just buy it a day before or after. It also won't work for people who really need data, they must have it no matter what. But there are an enormous amount of data users out there who use it as toy only, not a necessity. If they all cancelled, the hit would be tremendous.

cav23j
Jul 6, 2011, 10:20 PM

recording the call won't do you any good if he ends up being wrong anyway

Cp96alumni
Jul 7, 2011, 09:31 AM
And the plans have changed. Boy that was underwhelming. Grabbed a 4 last month and my wife decided to upgrade yesterday just before the change. Yeah we won't get the 4s/5 when it arrives, but we will get the 6 or 7. The 4 is still a great phone, and now we have unlimited for 2 years. Just checked are plans and it is still on there. Only reason I might change to the 2gb plan is if they bring out family share data plans. Just checked my phone and I have only used 600 mb (and used heavily, not much streaming though). So my wife and I could share 2gb, unless they get the bright idea to charge more for the share plans.

brady220
Jul 7, 2011, 09:59 AM
FYI, yesterday I had added the unlimited data plan to a feature phone after calling customer service and the rep said it would carry over to an iPhone4. This morning I called customer service and was able to upgrade to an iPhone4 and retain the unlimited data plan. For anyone in the same situation I suggest calling for your upgrade instead of visiting a store!

moore2772
Jul 7, 2011, 12:00 PM
And the plans have changed. Boy that was underwhelming. Grabbed a 4 last month and my wife decided to upgrade yesterday just before the change. Yeah we won't get the 4s/5 when it arrives, but we will get the 6 or 7. The 4 is still a great phone, and now we have unlimited for 2 years. Just checked are plans and it is still on there. Only reason I might change to the 2gb plan is if they bring out family share data plans. Just checked my phone and I have only used 600 mb (and used heavily, not much streaming though). So my wife and I could share 2gb, unless they get the bright idea to charge more for the share plans.

AT&T doesn't offer any shared data plans (you can share minutes and texts, but not data, which is per phone). Does Verizon have shared data? I wish someone would. A $25 2 GB plan would be more than enough for the 3 users on my family plan (am now paying $45 for 600 MB total, 3X 200). Although I guess I just answered my own question- The telecoms make much more by not having shared data plans...

swingerofbirch
Jul 7, 2011, 03:19 PM
FYI, yesterday I had added the unlimited data plan to a feature phone after calling customer service and the rep said it would carry over to an iPhone4. This morning I called customer service and was able to upgrade to an iPhone4 and retain the unlimited data plan. For anyone in the same situation I suggest calling for your upgrade instead of visiting a store!

Wow. That totally undermines what the last rep told me. Although, like I said, the reps alternated their stories each time I called in.

Ivabign
Jul 7, 2011, 04:48 PM

Can I ask why you didn't just buy the iPhone 4 yesterday and not risk getting just 2GB for your $30 bucks?

itsalexaye
Jul 7, 2011, 04:51 PM
I wish everyone was still on unlimited data, or atleast a bigger cap! I mean 2GB really isnt enough (on AT&T)

bad03xtreme
Jul 7, 2011, 06:27 PM
I am very bitter about these options, I am am leaving Verizon for AT&T when the new iPhone comes out. :mad:

brady220
Jul 8, 2011, 09:50 AM
Can I ask why you didn't just buy the iPhone 4 yesterday and not risk getting just 2GB for your $30 bucks?

Sorry, I should have explained that my contract wasn't up for renewal until 7/7. Otherwise I wouldn't have run the risk!

DiamondMac
Jul 8, 2011, 11:48 AM
What part do you not understand?

The part that I have mentioned several times and the part which you can't actually find any proof of? The only evidence you have is Verizon and AT&T telling us so....that's it.

The fact that someone would live off such laughable evidence shows how either low peoples IQ is or how much Kool-Aid they are drinking. And come on, who wouldn't find it funny that you threw in the "networking experts" line without showing any. I mean, brilliant. I am sure you will now pull some article off Google showing data usage is high which nobody argues and claim some off-topic point.

BTW, feel free to pull logs. I would listen. It would be the only real evidence present other than a general statement released from the ISP PR people.

Geckotek
Jul 8, 2011, 12:56 PM
Sorry, I obviously don't have access to pull the logs. And your argument is pointless.

If you want to argue that perhaps there really is not enough traffic to cause a slow down....that might be believable. But to argue that heavy traffic users can't slow down a network is just ignorance. This is just common sense.

One of my past IT jobs had issues where they thought the internet service wasn't sufficient. They even upgraded their service with their ISP. Then they hired me and after some researche it turned out they had allowed their e-mail server to be an open relay. The vast amount of e-mail traffic was causing major network slowdowns.

I've seen it happen and I've resolved the issue that caused it. I'm not going to go back to that company I worked for years ago to try to get some logs to prove it to you. If you prefer to ignore advice from others that know the subject better than you, then that's your perogative. Enjoy it.

alent1234
Jul 8, 2011, 01:49 PM

once you use about 40% or more of available bandwidth you start getting packet collisions due to broadcasts

Geckotek
Jul 8, 2011, 02:24 PM
once you use about 40% or more of available bandwidth you start getting packet collisions due to broadcasts

Thanks, I'm not a networking guy so I had forgotten some of the details of exactly what happens.

Ivabign
Jul 8, 2011, 06:48 PM
Sorry, I should have explained that my contract wasn't up for renewal until 7/7. Otherwise I wouldn't have run the risk!

Thanks, now that makes perfect sense! Although I probably would have called and begged them to upgrade me a day early. I have heard stories of Verizon doing early upgrades for good customers. Then of course, I am paranoid.

Cheers!

Ammo
Jul 10, 2011, 09:11 AM
So for $45/month with AT&T you get 4 GB + tethering.

With Verizon, it's $50 for 5 GB, and $70 if you want the tethering.

Safe to say AT&T has more value with its iPhone.

JAT
Jul 10, 2011, 01:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Has anyone noticed that the VZW site has a * on the 2GB plan? It says no discounts. If that refers to corporate discounts, that's another horrific idea.

So I now get Unlimited for $23.40 and new customers get 2GB for $30. Ouch!!

Geckotek
Jul 10, 2011, 08:15 PM
So for $45/month with AT&T you get 4 GB + tethering.

With Verizon, it's $50 for 5 GB, and $70 if you want the tethering.

Safe to say AT&T has more value with its iPhone.

Did you just compare the 2GB plan to the 5GB plan? :confused:

On Verizon, the equivalent plan would be 4GB plan w/ hotspot for $50. A mere $5/month difference gets you 4G data where available and a much wider and more consistent data coverage on 3G.

However, for now I have unlimited w/ AT&T and didn't jump in time to get unlimited on Verizon so it's still AT&T for me....for now.

Ammo
Jul 10, 2011, 09:01 PM
Did you just compare the 2GB plan to the 5GB plan? :confused:

On Verizon, the equivalent plan would be 4GB plan w/ hotspot for $50. A mere $5/month difference gets you 4G data where available and a much wider and more consistent data coverage on 3G.

However, for now I have unlimited w/ AT&T and didn't jump in time to get unlimited on Verizon so it's still AT&T for me....for now.

Um, no.

I compared the 4GB plan WITH TETHERING ($45) to Verizon's 5 GB plan without tethering ($50). To get 5 GB with tethering on Verizon it's $70.

AT&T's 2 GB plan for $25 doesn't have tethering. 4 GB has tethering built in to the package.

Geckotek
Jul 10, 2011, 09:33 PM
Um, no.

I compared the 4GB plan WITH TETHERING ($45) to Verizon's 5 GB plan without tethering ($50). To get 5 GB with tethering on Verizon it's $70.

AT&T's 2 GB plan for $25 doesn't have tethering. 4 GB has tethering built in to the package.

Then you are manipulating the numbers to benefit AT&T? Why not compare apples to apples? Why are you comparing a 4GB plan to a 5GB plan?

I guess I have to lay it out for you.

AT&T 2GB Data plan = $25 + 2GB tethering = $20 for a total of $45

From Verizon website:
"4GB Data Bundle with Personal Email & Mobile Hotspot" = $50

Edit: FYI, I don't see an add-on tethering plan any longer so your $70 price is made up anyway. For $70/month you get 7GB of data with tethering.

jav6454
Jul 10, 2011, 09:44 PM

Please leave AT&T, your posts make you sound like a Verizon fanboi, yet you are using AT&T's network. Please make the commitment once and for all and leave AT&T and sign with Verizon.

Ammo
Jul 10, 2011, 10:11 PM
/edit

Geckotek
Jul 11, 2011, 12:07 AM
Please leave AT&T, your posts make you sound like a Verizon fanboi, yet you are using AT&T's network. Please make the commitment once and for all and leave AT&T and sign with Verizon.

Having been a user of both networks for years, my posts come from experience and tell both sides of the story. Show me one false statement I've made about either carrier.

Why don't you leave the forum? Or leave me alone? What's your issue? Why are you so rude?

MrNomNoms
Jul 11, 2011, 06:08 AM
These companies don't want you to know the truth. Either their network is fine and they want to rape our pocket books or they are truly hurting on a daily basis, but won't tell the public the truth because they fear that their network will be lambasted as inferior, not capable of their needed capacity and lose customers or they know of technologies in the near future that will be available on their networks that will cause a huge data pull. Which if that's the case then we have two scenarios. They know the future products and want to make a killing off of people using FaceTime, etc over LTE or they need to limit the data, because the new technology is far more advanced then their networks... or both.

What has happened is there has been a bait and switch between the two major companies (AT&T and Verizon), promising the earth knowing full well that their network and current technology could never live up to the promises that they had marketed - flat rate all you can eat internet might work on fixed line but wireless due to the limits of wireless technology and the cost of back hauling data will always be more expensive. The basic idea is that they suck you in, you become so dependent that when they do start to clamp down and put up tiered pricing with the majority of consumers going, "oh well, too much hassle to change I might as well stay with what I have". People might point to small players like Sprint or MetroPCS but they're pretty much irrelevant when compared to the two largest nationwide players (nation wide coverage is the important part of the equation - fat load of use having a cute player with next to no coverage outside of the few cities they operate).

Add on top of that the fact that Americans have never had metered internet where as where I live we have always had metered internet in some form, either per hour or per-megabyte/per-gigabyte so the very idea of mobile internet being charged wasn't a shock - then add to to that the carriers explaining why mobile data costs more than fixed line, there has never been much of a protest against how things have operated.

For me my iPhone is on the 'other' 3G network on offer (the launch partner for the iPhone where I live is Vodafone) and it performs perfectly - great coverage, very fast internet speed, tethering for no extra charge etc.

Then again the whole US mobile phone network is stupid - receiving party pays for the phone call and text message? bugger that, if I lived in the US that is the one reason I would NEVER own a mobile phone - why the hell should I pay for someone ringing or text messaging me? what a stupid way to design a system!

JAT
Jul 11, 2011, 01:30 PM
Edit: FYI, I don't see an add-on tethering plan any longer so your $70 price is made up anyway. For $70/month you get 7GB of data with tethering.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=plans

Geckotek
Jul 11, 2011, 03:02 PM
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=plans

Interesting, seems they have some discrepencies in their website. When you go to purchase a device and look at the data plans that come up during the purchase, the options are different.

JAT
Jul 11, 2011, 08:43 PM
Interesting, seems they have some discrepencies in their website. When you go to purchase a device and look at the data plans that come up during the purchase, the options are different.

Frankly, I'd be more surprised if there weren't any discrepancies. It was probably already added together where you found it.