PDA

View Full Version : Keep or Sell?

iMacZealot
Apr 1, 2005, 11:07 PM
I have an iMac G3 (Summer 2001, 500 MHz, OS 10.3.8) that I love very dearly, and I am using it now, although the time has come and I need the new G5 version. I am wondering if I should sell my iMac to my nearest Apple Store, which is now affiliated with Apple in any way except that they sell used macs. The thing is, I like my G3, and I don't know if I should give it up and get the returned money ($200-$225) and put it towards my G5, or if I should keep it simply for using the internet around the house, as in putting it in my basement. If I were to keep it, it probably wouldn't be used too much. What should I do?

I appreciate your help.

(P.S. I like the new April Fools names under our screen names, don't you? I think they're funny :) )

mad jew
Apr 1, 2005, 11:15 PM
That's a pretty personal question and since I don't have any of the sentimental attachments to the old iMac I recommend selling it and putting the money towards the G5. The speed difference will astound you and unless you have other people using your computer a lot, you probably won't really go back to the old one. If it was running something other than OSX, maybe keep it to remind you of what OS9 days were like but even still, I'd sell it.

iMacZealot
Apr 1, 2005, 11:33 PM
I thought that I should sell it. I do really need a G5 since I have decided to study film editing, and you can't do much on this thing! My current iMac is running Panther (I'm using it now) and it has been a very good computer to get me acquainted with Apple Computers. In retrospect, I don't know what I would do with my G3, so I must be going on my merry little way to The Mac Outlet!!! :D

Dr. Dastardly
Apr 2, 2005, 12:14 AM
Just think someone else will get the joy of using the iMac. I'm sure it will go to a good home, maybe a ranch where it can surf the net and check for updates all day long. :p

adamjay
Apr 2, 2005, 12:16 AM
shouldn't this thread be in the Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion section,
rather than the Marketplace and Classifieds?

madmaxmedia
Apr 2, 2005, 02:10 AM
It might not be a bad idea to install a big hard drive in it (I think those can go to at least 120GB), and use it as a backup server as well as general second machine.

You can run some sort of backup software to auto backup your Home folder, etc...

I like those later slot-loading iMacs, especially since they had no fans and were basically completely silent. At some point, I will try to pick one up for a $100 or so, for a second machine and for nostalgia factor. Those were really nice-looking machines.

Lacero
Apr 2, 2005, 02:22 AM
I'd probably keep it. It's not worth the $200 or so you get for it if you sold. It's still good for word processing, music, internet surfing, email, even DV video editing. Or donate it to a school and get a tax credit.