PDA

View Full Version : iMac G3 Overheating?

Cadillac Man
Jul 5, 2011, 01:35 PM
I have an iMac G3 (see signature) and I think that it's overheating. It's slot- loading, so no fan. It always got very warm, but now it seems like somethings burning inside. I downloaded iStat pro to see the temperature, but the temperature never changed.

Has anyone ever installed a fan into one of these units? If so, where do I get the power, and where should I place it?

thanks

MAC MAN JW
Jul 28, 2011, 02:19 PM
I have an iMac G3 (see signature) and I think that it's overheating. It's slot- loading, so no fan. It always got very warm, but now it seems like somethings burning inside. I downloaded iStat pro to see the temperature, but the temperature never changed.

Has anyone ever installed a fan into one of these units? If so, where do I get the power, and where should I place it?

thanks

burning Smell? if it is that it is more then likely a CRT Proplem ,Flyback Transformer,PAV bord,etc. a fan will not fix that proplem it will now need repair or it may be beyond repair:(

MacHamster68
Jul 30, 2011, 02:43 AM
i'd say too there is something seriously wrong as the iMac G3 does not need a fan , sure it gets warm on top , for some it even feels hot to the touch and it actually needs to get warm on top in order for the "cooling system " to work ...the chimney effect ..hot air is rising and cold air is pulled in from the bottom

btw . dust will smell burned too , maybe time to take the little bugger apart and clean it inside from any form of dust