Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
I ordered another 512mb for my iMac G5 from Crucial.com on Wednesday, paid the extra couple bucks for the fast shipping and it arrived today :)

I was a bit nervous installing it as I have absolutely no experience with opening up a computer or installing hardware of any sort. After reading about how easy it was I decided to give it a whirl. After I got it in it was easy, but man do you have to push that thing! I was a bit nervous I was going to break it, the instructions from Apple said "press gently"....that is a gross understatement, I was scared to death the thing was going to snap in half!

But anyways, just in case anyone else is new to this I thought I would reassure them a bit that "gently" really means hard :)

Glad I upped the RAM, the difference isn't huge (aka blow your socks off), but definitely noticeable enough to make it worth the $60 bucks.

allison.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
It is one of those things that is easy to do even if you're new to it.
Daunting at first, but not that difficult...

Did you check with System Profiler that the Mac was 'seeing' the RAM?

tom.96

Suspended
Jun 13, 2003
A few years ago when i first upgraded ram on my imac I had the same issue.

I pushed it in, worried I was going to damage it. I closed it up and turned it back on to be greeted with a black screen. Not good. I thought I had killed it.

I opened it back up and the ram hadn't quite gone in alright, so an extra wiggle and shove and it went in. Worked fine for the last five and a half years, still going strong. My system profiler tells me the ram is at different speeds, does not seem to matter tho as it all works fine.

I have even progressed to changing the internal battery now - what a pro :D

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
I checked the System Profiler and it's reading it, is there anything else I need to do? Or just enjoy :)

allison.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
allisonv7 said:
...is there anything else I need to do? Or just enjoy :)

Just enjoy... :D

Some hardware things with your Mac are pretty easy to do and it really boosts your confidence to do them yourself rather than asking a friend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.