Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
I'm looking for possible covers, sleeves or cases for the upcoming 13" SB Air and would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. I will be beginning law school and would like something professional and protective, but attractive.

Right now it looks like a good option is the Speck TrimSleeve. A couple drawbacks, however, are that it uses faux leather, and it appears the opening is on the opposite side as the power cord! Now, what was the point of that?

I use this black leather Kenneth Cole messenger bag.

Any other suggestions? I've also considered these: 1, 2, and 3

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I was leaning towards that one as well but finally landed on BookBook. What I have found with sleeves is that when they are open at the side I still am conscious of not holding it with the open end towards the ground. With a full zip around closure I feel secure with it. Plus it looks cool.

http://www.twelvesouth.com/products/BookBook_for_Air/

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
I have seen that one, and it does look cool, but I also feel it's a bit gimmicky and it looks like it adds quite a bit to the Air's dimensions.

marrzie

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
I was leaning towards that one as well but finally landed on BookBook. What I have found with sleeves is that when they are open at the side I still am conscious of not holding it with the open end towards the ground. With a full zip around closure I feel secure with it. Plus it looks cool.

http://www.twelvesouth.com/products/BookBook_for_Air/

How sturdy is that bookbook? If you have it in your shoulder bag with no other padding and you accidentally hit it on the door frame a you enter a room do you feel 100% certain its no problem in that case? Could you intentionally drop it on its edge from waist high and feel it would be protected?

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
How sturdy is that bookbook? If you have it in your shoulder bag with no other padding and you accidentally hit it on the door frame a you enter a room do you feel 100% certain its no problem in that case? Could you intentionally drop it on its edge from waist high and feel it would be protected?

I find it very sturdy. I put in my backpack with other things and I feel confident that not only will it survive impacts but also the case will evenly distribute weight so if something leans on it I don't have to worry about it cracking the screen.

OP: Also I would not recommend your option 1. I have it and its low quality. You get what you pay for. The edges on the inside begin to come off.

marrzie

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Sweet thanks. I really love the bookbook and now my concerns over protection or lack of it were unfounded apparently.

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
I had one of those for my old Powerbook. It was alright, although that case it a bit much if you don't carry around "accessories," eh?

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Last edited:

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I use the Speck charcoal-black casing. It's pretty sturdy, and adds some rigidity to the unit, along with scuff and mark protection. Gives me confidence to throw the MBA into a backpack full of books and odds and ends and not get beat up. The only problem with these type of cases is the locking joints take all the stress and tend to crack. But I don't mind buying one of these every year or two to protect the shell.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
They say it comes with a stylish elastic band. :)

Something to get all twisted and eventually come free of the sleeve. Or left unused and flopping around after it gets old having to wrap and unwrap it continuously.

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
I just received my Speck MacbookAir TrimSleeve (13") and it fits like a glove and looks great. other than the one exposed side where the latch is, it appears like it will offer a fair amount of protection from the normal daily travel foibles.

On the down side:

• not made of leather. made of faux leather or "pleather"
  • heavy - it feels like it doubles the weight of the computer
  • concerns that the pull tab may cause rubbing on the side of the MBA

I would recommend this sleeve, however, I am hopeful that Saddleback Leather or some other Mfgr will create a really nice "genuine leather" version of this design...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.