Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wirelessimports

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
Ok so ive got a mac mini and a 23" HD apple monitor. If I get the EyeTv 500 do any of you guys know if I can turn my monitor into a HDTV?

Mac Mini with 1 Gig Ram, 80 gig hard drive, 1.42 Ghz... I read that the 500 needs a dual G5 processor to run the HD video full screen, and i read on these forums that some have tried it and it works just fine?

Can someone please give me a clear answer? can my setup replace my tv with the eyetv500?

Thanks in advance everyone.

wirelessimports

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
Right about now i am very fustrated. I have read review after review after review...

I cant make heads or tails of anything anymore. Does the iTV 500 allow you to plug your HDTV cable box to it to watch whats on it? Can I also use my current remote to change the channels through the box?

Forget it, if they have a restocking fee ill forget about this, if they dont ill just do the dumb thing and get both the 200 and 500 and return one if not both.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
The Eyetv 500 is ment for non encrypted HDTV. So, you need to find out if you need to keep the cable box, or if you can just plug your cable directly into the Eyetv and use the Eyetv to record. If you have to leave the cable box in there (encrypted HDTV), then you will have to remember to change the channel on the cable box to what you want to record before the Eyetv records it because the box that is picking the channels, and not the Eyetv.

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv500#features

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.