PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs' Authorized Biography Gets New Title

MacRumors
Jul 5, 2011, 07:39 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/05/steve-jobs-authorized-biography-gets-new-title/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/522218512_cdc8f7cdf6.jpg

The authorized biography of Steve Jobs, announced earlier this year (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/10/steve-jobs-authorized-biography-coming-in-2012/) and scheduled to be released by Simon & Schuster in March 2012, has a new title (http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/07/05/steve-jobs-bio-gets-a-new-title/).

According to Fortune, the old title, iSteve: The Book of Jobs, chosen by the publisher's publicity department, wasn't a favorite around author Walter Isaacson's household. Isaacson has succeeded in getting a new title approved:

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson.
In 2010, it was first reported that Steve Jobs had agreed to participate in an authorized biography. The book is due on March 6th, 2012 and is already available for pre-order from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Jobs-Biography-Walter-Isaacson/dp/1451648537).

(Photo by Flickr/Joi Ito (http://www.flickr.com/photos/joi/522218512/))

Article Link: Steve Jobs' Authorized Biography Gets New Title (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/05/steve-jobs-authorized-biography-gets-new-title/)

koobcamuk
Jul 5, 2011, 07:42 PM
Excellent. A much better name for an autobiography.

propynyl
Jul 5, 2011, 07:43 PM
I smell a publicity stunt. It was never going to be called "iSteve: The Book of Jobs." The biblical innuendo was meant to shock and stir up some additional publicity.

winston1236
Jul 5, 2011, 07:44 PM
make it a free app store download

AppleScruff1
Jul 5, 2011, 07:45 PM
I wonder when people will start lining up outside Barnes and Noble?

840quadra
Jul 5, 2011, 07:45 PM
Much better title, worth a bit more respect than the first proposal, though short.

I smell a publicity stunt. It was never going to be called "iSteve: The Book of Jobs." The biblical innuendo was meant to shock and stir up some additional publicity.

To be honest, that wouldn't surprise me either. Though Steve Jobs is a popular topic these days, even outside of Apple users, so I am sure it would sell well without the potential stunt.

appleguy123
Jul 5, 2011, 07:46 PM

Why do that when we have Kindles and iPads?

bigcat.101
Jul 5, 2011, 07:47 PM
iSteve: The Book of Jobs FTW!

gorskiegangsta
Jul 5, 2011, 07:48 PM
Good, because iSteve would be Steve Wozniak.

AppleScruff1
Jul 5, 2011, 07:48 PM

Because it would be more Apple-like to wait in line for a few days, after all, this is the messiahs autobiography, not just an iPad or iPhone.

haiggy
Jul 5, 2011, 07:49 PM
Just pre-ordered it! :D

Winni
Jul 5, 2011, 07:49 PM

Exactly. Why line up in front of a store when Apple and Amazon ship the device to your home - on the same day?

That being said, the new book title is back to Earth, I like it.

ronwasserman
Jul 5, 2011, 07:51 PM
I hope he talks about the importance of corporate tax breaks. I'd love to get his take on that.

kjs862
Jul 5, 2011, 07:51 PM
much better!

striker33
Jul 5, 2011, 07:52 PM

Why do that when we have torrents?

I'm sure Steve won't mind missing out on a little cash not entering his 95ct gold lined wallet.

scaredpoet
Jul 5, 2011, 07:55 PM

They won't. They'll line up for iPads and buy it in the iBookstore. :)

.Andy
Jul 5, 2011, 07:56 PM
What an inspired new title. Deserving of the big bucks.

AidenShaw
Jul 5, 2011, 07:57 PM
this is the messiahs autobiography

I don't think the folks waiting for MacWorship to be ported to Apples would like that.... ;)

HelveticaNeue
Jul 5, 2011, 07:57 PM
When I heard it was called iSteve: the Book of Jobs my first thought was "There's no way Steve is happy about this." I think Steve would like this title.

Tilpots
Jul 5, 2011, 07:58 PM
That's a perfect picture for a caption contest!!! Here's mine:

"What? Are these quadruple D's?"

"Your holding it wrong, Baby."

"And I said unto them, 'Let there be Apps,' and there were Apps."

"iBall will be magical!"

TMar
Jul 5, 2011, 07:58 PM

Because it would be more Apple-like to wait in line for a few days, after all, this is the messiahs autobiography, not just an iPad or iPhone.

FYI it's not an autobiography. It would be if Steve was writing it himself.

striker33
Jul 5, 2011, 07:59 PM

Or they'll buy an actual eReader that doesn't give you eyestrain, migraines, and isnt hard to read outside amongst other places. And probably the fact that the iPad battery is pathetic compared to things like the Kindle.

They're ok for short reading spells, maybe for say magazines or newspapers, but for extended reading its just painful, especially with the weight of the thing.

swarmster
Jul 5, 2011, 08:01 PM
Boo. While "iSteve" was dumb (who has ever called him that? And it kind of belittles his many pre-i accomplishments), I loved "The Book of Jobs". It was funny and of accurate tone.

zarusoba
Jul 5, 2011, 08:05 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

"Steve Jobs: Definitely Not an *******"

Takeo
Jul 5, 2011, 08:05 PM
Brilliant. So much better. iSteve was so lame. And using just his name and nothing else really speaks to Apple's austere aesthetic. Simple. Functional. Nothing there that doesn't need to be.

iRobby
Jul 5, 2011, 08:06 PM
iBooks pre-order: Steve Jobs: A Biography (http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/steve-jobs/id431617578?mt=11)

Product Description

From bestselling author Walter Isaacsoin comes the landmark biography of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. In Steve Jobs: A Biography, Isaacson provides an extraordinary account of Jobs’ professional and personal life. Drawn from three years of exclusive and unprecedented interviews Isaacson has conducted with Jobs as well as extensive interviews with Jobs’ family members, key colleagues from Apple and its competitors, iSteve is the definitive portrait of the greatest innovator of his generation

About the Author

Walter Isaacson, the CEO of the Aspen Institute, has been chairman of CNN and the managing editor of Time magazine. He is the author of Benjamin Franklin: An American Life and of Kissinger: A Biography, and the coauthor of The Wise Men: Six Friends and the World They Made. He lives in Washington, D.C., with his wife and daughter.

Takeo
Jul 5, 2011, 08:06 PM
Then again... "You're reading it wrong" would have been funny.

the vj
Jul 5, 2011, 08:07 PM
For sure is gonna be available in ever temple, I mean, Apple store.

HowieR32
Jul 5, 2011, 08:09 PM

I'm sure Steve won't mind missing out on a little cash not entering his 95ct gold lined wallet.

:D no cash enters his gold lined wallet besides the $1 he gets every year from his job at Apple...

Tymmz
Jul 5, 2011, 08:09 PM
don't know what the biography will be like, but the revised title has more personality to it and doesn't seem like a new iProduct.

MartiNZ
Jul 5, 2011, 08:11 PM
iSteve: The Book of Jobs FTW!

Fully agree, made me literal LOL :).

AppleScruff1
Jul 5, 2011, 08:16 PM

That changes things completely.

yauzers619
Jul 5, 2011, 08:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'll just watch the movie... ;)

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0168122/

NutsNGum
Jul 5, 2011, 08:19 PM
I heard this book is being released on one of those crappy R2D2 hologram discs - the special guest narrator hologram is Noam Chomsky.

oban14
Jul 5, 2011, 08:20 PM
As it's authorized, it'll be interesting to see how much of his drug usage gets included.

wackymacky
Jul 5, 2011, 08:21 PM
"The Book of Jobs" would sum up Steve's ego no doubt.

As for distrubution, how 'bout pre-installed on the iPad3

Caharin
Jul 5, 2011, 08:22 PM
I heard this book is being released as one of those crappy R2D2 hologram discs, followed by a revised rectal-implant 2nd edition.

I'm not sure what would be funnier, the fact that you meant "retinal implant" or the fact that you meant exactly what you said.

Rocketman
Jul 5, 2011, 08:22 PM
Steve's philosophies and life are so public, this biography will be a minor value added work as compared to public sources. Wanna sell a book with no hard cost? Concatenate all public publishings in a fully cited device. Hey, Kindle and iBooks will let you sell it!

Just Rocketman

BTW, it's not ego if in fact you are right by fact check and societal results. :cool:

Porco
Jul 5, 2011, 08:24 PM
Apparently the first edition will have extra blank pages and heavy paper. The second print will be 10% lighter and thinner. The third print will drop support for words altogether (though you can still write your own on the 20 blank pages provided).

The fourth print (Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson 4P) will be a thought rather than a physical product. It will cost more than the print versions, and you may not share it.

NutsNGum
Jul 5, 2011, 08:26 PM
I'm not sure what would be funnier, the fact that you meant "retinal implant" or the fact that you meant exactly what you said.

I meant rectal, but my comment is now on edition 2. I think I've over-cooked it to be honest, the funny is most definitely gone.

vincenz
Jul 5, 2011, 08:28 PM
Much better. The old title was just awful.

AidenShaw
Jul 5, 2011, 08:42 PM

I meant rectal, but my comment is now on edition 2. I think I've over-cooked it to be honest, the funny is most definitely gone.

You two have absolutely warped how I will react to the announcement that the next Ipad will have a higher resolution screen.

twoodcc
Jul 5, 2011, 08:44 PM
i guess it's a better name, though i do like the original name also

DougFNJ
Jul 5, 2011, 08:53 PM
Interestingly, on iBooks in my iPhone, I just looked for Steve Jobs Biography and nothing came up, I looked up iSteve and preordered for $14.99.

I am guessing they will not cancel my pre-order, but just change the title :confused:

ma2ha3
Jul 5, 2011, 08:56 PM
i am not buying it, not download it for free, not reading it.
cause i do not want to be mistaken for a mac fan boy.

DougFNJ
Jul 5, 2011, 09:29 PM

I could care less of what perception others have of me based on my reading. I would read the same type of book on Bill Gates as I have Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, and the book I am reading about Google, In the Plex, these are all interesting historical references of interesting people and organizations.

Don't let opinions of others determine your decisions that may entertain or educate you.

Nostromo
Jul 5, 2011, 09:30 PM
Authorized biographies, vanity biographies.

*LTD*
Jul 5, 2011, 09:34 PM
The title is a little more worthy of the subject now. The old title was immature and trivialized the entire effort.

locovaca
Jul 5, 2011, 09:35 PM
Amazon? No thank you, I will not support those rip off artists.

Releasing this in an eBook-only format would've been a big statement. Sadly I'm sure the publisher would never agree to it, but paper books are on their way out. They're not green, they're not reusable, and they take up space on my shelf.

Nostromo
Jul 5, 2011, 09:40 PM
How about a Steve Jobs biography title competition?

Like " A Million Jobs"

or

"More Jobs for America" ;)

How about "Getting the Jobs Done"? :)

Jiggedyjiggedy
Jul 5, 2011, 09:42 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

A small change in punctuation to the original would have made for a much less cheesy title: "I, Steve" while still providing a nod to the whole "iProduct" thing.

jmpnop
Jul 5, 2011, 09:43 PM
Apparently the first edition will have extra blank pages and heavy paper. The second print will be 10% lighter and thinner. The third print will drop support for words altogether (though you can still write your own on the 20 blank pages provided).

The fourth print (Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson 4P) will be a thought rather than a physical product. It will cost more than the print versions, and you may not share it.

rofl:D:D:D

Nostromo
Jul 5, 2011, 09:44 PM

A small change in punctuation to the original would have made for a much less cheesy title: "I, Steve" while still providing a nod to the whole "iProduct" thing.

Why not simply "iSteve"?

"iSteve" would summon up Steve's work, as he's the guy who made Apple the iSuccess.

redshovel
Jul 5, 2011, 09:48 PM
i cant believe this is even a topic for idebate

marksman
Jul 5, 2011, 10:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thank god. The original title was iAwful. The new one is perfect. His biography is not going to be made or broken by the title.

Or they'll buy an actual eReader that doesn't give you eyestrain, migraines, and isnt hard to read outside amongst other places. And probably the fact that the iPad battery is pathetic compared to things like the Kindle.

They're ok for short reading spells, maybe for say magazines or newspapers, but for extended reading its just painful, especially with the weight of the thing.

That is why tens of millions if people spend large parts of every day reading on their iPads. Before the original iPad went on sale people might have given your point some consideration. Now it just sounds like you just woke from 24 month coma.

Stella
Jul 5, 2011, 10:02 PM
iExpect iIt iWill iBe iA iBest iSeller.

Nostromo
Jul 5, 2011, 10:13 PM
i cant believe this is even a topic for idebate

"iCan't believe it's Steve!" ;)

simon48
Jul 5, 2011, 10:32 PM
Steve: The Book of Jobs ;)

applebook
Jul 5, 2011, 10:33 PM
An epic must-read, folks.

Ballmer bio? Not so much.

StuddedLeather
Jul 5, 2011, 10:34 PM
Meh, regardless of the name, I'm still going to buy it. I'm sure it'll be a good read.
Though I did prefer, or didn't mind, the first title/brainstorm. It made it seem a little more personal, for some reason.

Obi-Wan Kubrick
Jul 5, 2011, 10:36 PM
iSteve was lame and The book of Jobs was too biblical. Is Steve Jobs atheist? I hope he is.

cms2
Jul 5, 2011, 10:44 PM
Good choice; much better title. Now I might actually buy that book. Seriously, iSteve? Subtle, publicity department. Subtle.

Pink∆Floyd
Jul 5, 2011, 10:54 PM
Ah!

Much better title, states the point of the book nicely :) Steve Jobs

CQd44
Jul 5, 2011, 10:58 PM
iSteve was lame and The book of Jobs was too biblical. Is Steve Jobs atheist? I hope he is.

Why's that?

carmenodie
Jul 5, 2011, 11:16 PM
I want one of them red chairs!
They are so effing expensive. I think they are made by Bio Morph.
Maybe $2500.00.
Anyone know?

CFreymarc
Jul 5, 2011, 11:28 PM

Agree, simple, direct, self explanatory. Becides, iWoz was the apogee of the i-prefix names IMO.

CFreymarc
Jul 5, 2011, 11:30 PM
Good choice; much better title. Now I might actually buy that book. Seriously, iSteve? Subtle, publicity department. Subtle.

I'm sure somewhere, somehow, John Draper is looking to burn a pile of these at a rave in the Santa Cruz Mountains next summer. Then, I predict, he will bitch how he was cheated out and run away when asked why he never gave up his drug habit.

ArtOfWarfare
Jul 5, 2011, 11:31 PM
Question, was the "Jobs" in "iSteve: The Book of Jobs" supposed to be pronounced Joeb's (the o says its name... can't think of the right way of phonetically spelling it,) like the character in the Old Testament, or like jobs?

Have we been pronouncing Steve Jobs's last name the wrong way this whole time?

darbus69
Jul 5, 2011, 11:40 PM

iSteve the Book of Jobs is so appropriate, who cares if the authors family did not like? Not gonna buy now with the boring self titled...Besides, being a FanBoy, I've lived it!

; ~ )

japanime
Jul 5, 2011, 11:45 PM

As a book publisher, I assure you that the hard-working editors, proofreaders, designers, printers, binders and other employees of the publishing company would definitely mind.

MadeTheSwitch
Jul 5, 2011, 11:53 PM
Aw...I liked the iSteve name. (Not the book of Jobs part though). I think it should have been iSteve with a "The Story of Steve Jobs" subtitle underneath.

The new title seems too generic and too boring for an industry icon who has built iconic products sold in iconic landmark stores like the glass cube one. Still think it needs a more creative name for such a creative person.

DougFNJ
Jul 6, 2011, 12:02 AM
Amazon? No thank you, I will not support those rip off artists.

Releasing this in an eBook-only format would've been a big statement. Sadly I'm sure the publisher would never agree to it, but paper books are on their way out. They're not green, they're not reusable, and they take up space on my shelf.

Amazon are ripoff artists? I don't know, I order something from them, it usually comes in at least 5% cheaper, free shipping, and no sales tax. If I find it cheaper elsewhere, I buy it elsewhere, but they are usually the best prices. What qualifies them to be ripoff artists :confused:

Green? You do realize the paper they use to print books are from recycled paper and trees that are grown for the sole purpose of being paper, and not the rain forests, right? If it makes you feel any better, I hear they hire someone just to hug the tree before they cut it down :rolleyes:

Oooooooh ok, reading your post over again, they take up room on YOUR shelf, so nobody should have them....I get it now.

For the record, I have gone completely digital with my books, magazines, and music, I do it for convenience, not for the trees. I got my fiancé into the idea too, and she has embraced it, although begrudgingly, she is 90% digital on here books and magazines.

Funny that this all came up though as far is this part of the discussion, just had a conversation with my mother about getting her an ebook reader for Christmas this year to see if she has an open mind about it yet. She is still not willing as she tends to buy books from the ripoff artists, Amazon for $2 when the same book in digital would had cost her $9. When she is done reading a book, she lends them to her friends, and her sisters, and then donates them to the library, doesn't that qualify as reusable? I don't know.....anyway, I think you will always have people unwilling to make the switch out of price vs convenience.

HelveticaRoman
Jul 6, 2011, 12:08 AM
You'll have to wait for the third edition before you can actually read it all the way through ;-)

skoorbevad
Jul 6, 2011, 12:08 AM
I was betting on "I'm Rich, Motherf**kers!!, the official biography of Steven P. Jobs"

Dr McKay
Jul 6, 2011, 12:10 AM

I can see it being an iBooks exclusive for a limited time. Im betting the Servers will probably get hammered :D

Tazjin
Jul 6, 2011, 12:21 AM
Is Steve Jobs atheist? I hope he is.
Nope, he's a buddhist - but imho that's the most tolerable religion and by far not as bad as christian or muslim.

designgeek
Jul 6, 2011, 12:24 AM
Oh thank god. The original was absolutely horrible, I think I'll actually buy it now. ;)

lostngone
Jul 6, 2011, 12:36 AM
I will wait for the movie, I hope it will be in 3D with genuine SJRDF.

I still think "The Book of Jobs" would be an awesome name for the book.

NY Guitarist
Jul 6, 2011, 01:06 AM
I prefer the new title.

"iSteve, The Book of Jobs" is completely contrived.

And Steve Jobs has a life outside of Apple that I would guess is quite interesting. I hope they keep it real.

bigandtasty
Jul 6, 2011, 01:18 AM
I prefer the new title.

And Steve Jobs has a life outside of Apple that I would guess is quite interesting. I hope they keep it real.

agreed. While keeping it safe.

NY Guitarist
Jul 6, 2011, 01:19 AM

I agree that it would make it a better title, but I think it "I, Steve" should only be a chapter. He has been involved in so many other things in his life that "I, Steve" suggests Apple is the only thing the book would be about.

GekiRed
Jul 6, 2011, 01:22 AM
Steve Jobs isn't the Messiah, he's just a very naughty man!:D

StuddedLeather
Jul 6, 2011, 01:26 AM
I prefer the new title.

I can agree to an extent, however the new title just seems dull & lackluster. I didn't mind "The Book Of Jobs" gave the title a push (for a cover title). I know it's hard to tell how the actual content of the book will be - but I think a catchy name would'nt hurt.

It's subjective but I prefer the first title/idea.

Lazrhog
Jul 6, 2011, 02:06 AM
Will the Biography have a white cover ? or haven't they got the ink right yet ?

Truffy
Jul 6, 2011, 02:19 AM
Isaacson has succeeded in getting a new title approved:

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson.
Wow, he's a creative behemoth, isn't he? :rolleyes:

stringent
Jul 6, 2011, 02:22 AM
Digital download on iBooks only, stuffing Kindle! :D

Knighstalker
Jul 6, 2011, 02:25 AM
I clicked on "pre-order from Amazon" and was redirected to Amazon. It was ironic though you could pre-order it for the Kindle too! So a person can pre-order it for the Kindle but not the iPad:confused::confused::confused:

MattInOz
Jul 6, 2011, 02:27 AM
How about a Steve Jobs biography title competition?

Like " A Million Jobs"

or

"More Jobs for America" ;)

How about "Getting the Jobs Done"? :)

How about no.

DeeEss
Jul 6, 2011, 02:57 AM
I bet it will be magical.

loungecorps
Jul 6, 2011, 03:01 AM
working titles "Macturbation" "iJack" "Autobiography Pro"

loungecorps
Jul 6, 2011, 03:03 AM
iSteve:blows jobs:apple:

NightFox
Jul 6, 2011, 03:59 AM
If they're not using it for the book title, I'm at least hoping the last chapter is going to be entitled 'One More Thing' and will make the rest of the book pale into insignificance.

RTee
Jul 6, 2011, 04:24 AM
If they're not using it for the book title, I'm at least hoping the last chapter is going to be entitled 'One More Thing' and will make the rest of the book pale into insignificance.

I was hoping that would be the title! either way it's sure to be magical! ;)

Xenc
Jul 6, 2011, 04:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

:D no cash enters his gold lined wallet besides the $1 he gets every year from his job at Apple...

The $1 salary is a nominal fee, designed to avoid as much taxation as possible. He is paid in stock, dividends and benefits (such as a company jet). He is worth billions.

JohnDoe98
Jul 6, 2011, 04:53 AM
As it's authorized, it'll be interesting to see how much of his drug usage gets included.

what drug use? do share

Kissaragi
Jul 6, 2011, 05:47 AM
jobs a goodun would have been better

covertsurfer
Jul 6, 2011, 05:55 AM
Wonder if this will be available in Audiobook and if so who will do the voice over?

CplBadboy
Jul 6, 2011, 06:02 AM
bet ya there will be a disclaimer on the front cover telling buyers to hold it a certain way for the best experience.

locovaca
Jul 6, 2011, 06:05 AM
Amazon are ripoff artists? I don't know, I order something from them, it usually comes in at least 5% cheaper, free shipping, and no sales tax. If I find it cheaper elsewhere, I buy it elsewhere, but they are usually the best prices. What qualifies them to be ripoff artists :confused:

They stole the App Store. By buying from Amazon you're supporting the same people. It's no different than buying a blood diamond.

bobob
Jul 6, 2011, 06:30 AM

Even if Jobs isn't religious, the biblical book of Job, with the title character's difficult path set for him by God, would have had some nice parallels to the challenges of Steve Jobs' career.

Also, I agree with others that iSteve would have also been a great title on it's own.

The problem here was that the book had two punny titles, where one would have been plenty.

My bet is that the author probably fell in love with both of them like they were his children, and couldn't bear to show preference to one over the other.

It was a mistake to throw out both and go with such a generic title.

mixel
Jul 6, 2011, 06:44 AM
I dont get the people who think it should be called "iSteve/The Book Of Jobs"

The guy is almost certainly going die reasonably soon (morbid I realise but realistic). This is the only chance there will be for an official Biography. This is a big deal for all involved in it's production. I wouldn't want my official biography to have a cheesy pun title, I'd wan it done tastefully and at least approach my life & work with respect. "iSteve" was not a classy title.

So I say good job.

ThetaSigma
Jul 6, 2011, 06:48 AM
much better title!

going to see if i can preorder it, but i think i might wait nearer the time!

iphonepiephone
Jul 6, 2011, 07:06 AM

Aww, I don't think the fanboys liked that, based on the -7 rating... boo hoo hoo ^_^

TurnerMan
Jul 6, 2011, 07:08 AM
A funny title would be "iRich: Never in the Negative"

Cheerwino
Jul 6, 2011, 07:10 AM
Don't buy the 1st printing. Wait until 3rd printing or later, when they get the bugs worked out.

Will definitely buy, though!

Penfold2711
Jul 6, 2011, 07:13 AM
Strange Steve giving up on the new medium of digital books and issuing a paper book out seeing as he puts it cd and print are a outdated platform :D

unlinked
Jul 6, 2011, 07:19 AM
They stole the App Store. By buying from Amazon you're supporting the same people. It's no different than buying a blood diamond.

Because 'stealing' a name is really like killing someone. Buy an iPad tomorrow, otherwise the terrorists win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tiger8
Jul 6, 2011, 07:36 AM
God, the amount of jealousy in this thread is mindblowing! Not a huge fan of Steve, but give the guy some credit. Love him or hate him the guy has an impact, and did not get famous by 'leaking' a sex tape or participating in a reality TV.

If Paris Hilton and Snooky can release books, Steve sure can.

lars666
Jul 6, 2011, 07:45 AM
I want one of them red chairs!
They are so effing expensive. I think they are made by Bio Morph.
Maybe $2500.00.
Anyone know?

I would be interested in knowing where to get such a chair, too! If anybody has a hint, please let us know...

bandalay
Jul 6, 2011, 08:09 AM
to title it "One More Thing".

I guarantee you something will take that title when M. Jobs choses to shuffle off this mortal coil.

FroMann
Jul 6, 2011, 08:29 AM
Simple. I like it.

DougFNJ
Jul 6, 2011, 08:43 AM
I clicked on "pre-order from Amazon" and was redirected to Amazon. It was ironic though you could pre-order it for the Kindle too! So a person can pre-order it for the Kindle but not the iPad:confused::confused::confused:

You can pre-order it for the iPad, the name is still iSteve in the iBookstore, it's cheaper too, $14.99 :D

Wow!!! :eek: This is the sheepiest comment I have read, there are fanboys....then there is this person :rolleyes:

saffronboots
Jul 6, 2011, 08:53 AM
Nope, he's a buddhist - but imho that's the most tolerable religion and by far not as bad as christian or muslim.

According to Wikipedia, there is no belief in a deity in Buddhism; therefore it is an atheistic religion/philosophy.

mwayne85
Jul 6, 2011, 08:54 AM
I like the title "Steve Jobs." It's simple and you know what it's all about. "iSteve" just sounds like a product, and Steve is not a product.

Tyr.
Jul 6, 2011, 09:03 AM
what drug use? do share

Well, "Pirates Of Silicon Valley" shows him dropping acid. And the guy spent a lot of time among hippies in that Oregon commune, it's a good bet he did some drugs.

OTOH, Woz says (http://www.woz.org/letters/general/84.html) :

...was steve jobs a drug addict?
Woz:
No. I was around him a lot and never saw such signs. I never saw him use drugs. I didn't use drugs myself so I would not often be included when others did such things.

Sackvillenb
Jul 6, 2011, 09:25 AM
I have to say, this title is much better. Not exactly the most exciting title or anything, but the original one was bad. It was pretentious.

maclaptop
Jul 6, 2011, 09:34 AM
Better Title

"How I Created A Cult & Got Rich & Famous"

DougFNJ
Jul 6, 2011, 09:38 AM
According to Wikipedia, there is no belief in a deity in Buddhism; therefore it is an atheistic religion/philosophy.

I'm curious why people care if he is atheist, and why they would respect him or less more for it? :confused:

Just as one should not be judged for NOT believing, one should not be judged FOR believing. If believing in God brings a little peace and settlement to someone's life in a time we are living in with war, bad economy, bad real estate, bad unemployment.....why begrudge them the one thing in their lives that make sense to them? :confused:

Anyway, Buddhism is a very old, extremely wise timeless philosophy, not a religion. There are Buddhists that believe in God, and Buddhists that don't. Buddha believed in many Gods, there was only one religion at the time that only believed in 1 God (this was 500 years before Christ), and that was the Jewish religion. Buddha had never met a jewish individual at the time, he traveled and stayed in Asia his entire life. One other thing, Buddhists don't worship Buddha as a God or Christ, they greatly respect and admire him.

Sorry for the rant and education, now back to topic....anyone preorder it on iBooks yet?

maclaptop
Jul 6, 2011, 09:53 AM

Those who actually believe this are sadly mistaken.

Make no mistake, Steve's highest level of expertise in his life is making money In the most nefarious of ways.

cozmot
Jul 6, 2011, 10:29 AM
That's quite a turnaround. An author I know says that publishers pick the titles, not the authors, which sometimes leads to really lame titles. This would have been one of them. I can't wait to read the biography though, and this is a great author to write it.

TheSlush
Jul 6, 2011, 10:54 AM
Thank god.

RalfTheDog
Jul 6, 2011, 11:00 AM
Third working title, " Steve Jobs by his mom and dad."

Or if a car wrote it. Henry Ford did write his own auto biography, but that was a special case.

I gave my Kindle away because I preferred reading on the iPad. If you read in well lit places, the Kindle is great. If you read in darker to moderately lit places, the iPad is far better. If you read when you are well lit, you are a nerd for waisting a good beer buzz on a book.

toddybody
Jul 6, 2011, 11:01 AM
The first title sounds like a jab at Apple...the iEverything joke gets old quick.

RalfTheDog
Jul 6, 2011, 11:16 AM
Even if Jobs isn't religious, the biblical book of Job, with the title character's difficult path set for him by God, would have had some nice parallels to the challenges of Steve Jobs' career.

Also, I agree with others that iSteve would have also been a great title on it's own.

The problem here was that the book had two punny titles, where one would have been plenty.

My bet is that the author probably fell in love with both of them like they were his children, and couldn't bear to show preference to one over the other.

It was a mistake to throw out both and go with such a generic title.

A very good editor once told me, "when you write a book, there will be one part that you love. Rip it out and burn it. " Quite often, writers will put their work through pretzle like contortions just to put in one little bit, destroying an otherwise fantastic work. Issac Asimov structured the totality of Fantastic Voyage II around one painful pun at the end. With my twisted and somewhat unfortunate sense of humor, I can respect that.

deadkennedy
Jul 6, 2011, 11:25 AM
Imagine this.

iLife: Keith Richards

steadysignal
Jul 6, 2011, 02:29 PM
Imagine this.

iLife: Keith Richards

How about:

Churn: Money Made Easy.

brewcitywi
Jul 6, 2011, 02:48 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I'm currently writing an unauthorized autobiography.

- Steven Wright

Xenc
Jul 6, 2011, 05:09 PM
A very good editor once told me, "when you write a book, there will be one part that you love. Rip it out and burn it. " Quite often, writers will put their work through pretzle like contortions just to put in one little bit, destroying an otherwise fantastic work. Issac Asimov structured the totality of Fantastic Voyage II around one painful pun at the end. With my twisted and somewhat unfortunate sense of humor, I can respect that.

"Kill your darlings".

hissyfit
Jul 6, 2011, 11:58 PM
Good decision.

cozmot
Jul 7, 2011, 06:22 AM
Brilliant. So much better. iSteve was so lame. And using just his name and nothing else really speaks to Apple's austere aesthetic. Simple. Functional. Nothing there that doesn't need to be.

You said it perfectly!

cozmot
Jul 7, 2011, 06:33 AM

Hmm, that's funny coming from a MacRumors "Regular" (over 100 posts).