PDA

View Full Version : Safari-Based Jailbreak Tool Returns with iPad 2 Support

MacRumors
Jul 6, 2011, 02:34 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/06/safari-based-jailbreak-tool-returns-with-ipad-2-support/)

The JailbreakMe.com (http://www.jailbreakme.com/) website has returned to offer an entirely browser-based jailbreak tool for iOS devices including (for the first time) the iPad 2.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/jailbreakme.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/jailbreakme.jpg)
Jailbreaking is a process by which Apple's iOS devices can be opened up to allow for installation of non-Apple-approved applications, customizations and file access. Apple officially disapproves of jailbreaking and has even warned users (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3743) that these unauthorized modifications can cause "instability, disruption of services, and compromised security." Still, a large jailbreak community has emerged over the years since the iPhone's introduction.

A Dev-Team blog post (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/7295551750/jailbreakme-times-3) outlines the supported configurations for JailbreakMe:- iPad1: 4.3 through 4.3.3
- iPad2: 4.3.3
- iPhoneGS: 4.3 through 4.3.3
- iPhone4: 4.3 through 4.3.3
- iPhone4-CDMA: 4.2.6 through 4.2.8
- iPod touch 3g: 4.3, 4.3.2, 4.3.3
- iPod touch 4g: 4.3 through 4.3.3The JailbreakMe site is unique in that it allows users to jailbreak their devices entirely using the Safari browser and without downloading any additional software. The site itself also offers a Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.jailbreakme.com/#moreinfo) page reassures users that the jailbreaking process is fully reversible with a simple restore and that there is no risk for any permanent damage. Still, we'd recommend users proceed with caution.

The browser-based jailbreak process again exploits a flaw in Apple's PDF renderer that allows the tool to open up the device. Just like the previous vulnerability (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/11/apple-fixes-ios-pdf-security-hole-with-ios-4-0-2-and-3-2-2/), Apple is expected to patch this one shortly. This same vulnerability could be exploited by malicious parties as well. The programmers of JailbreakMe are also providing a patch to close the security hole behind them for jailbroken users. Users of non-jailbroken iOS devices, however, will have to wait until Apple provides a fix.

More information and answers can be found in our respective "Hacks" forums for iPhone (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105), iPod touch (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115), and iPad (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140).

Article Link: Safari-Based Jailbreak Tool Returns with iPad 2 Support (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/06/safari-based-jailbreak-tool-returns-with-ipad-2-support/)

greekappi
Jul 6, 2011, 02:38 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes, but does it allow for unlocking of an iPhone 4 running iOS 4.3.3?

SPEEDwithJJ
Jul 6, 2011, 02:38 AM
This is fantastic news! I guess it's about time as well. :D

Truffy
Jul 6, 2011, 02:39 AM
The browser-based jailbreak process again exploits a flaw in Apple's PDF renderer that allows the tool to open up the device. Just like the previous vulnerability (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/11/apple-fixes-ios-pdf-security-hole-with-ios-4-0-2-and-3-2-2/), Apple is expected to patch this one shortly. This same vulnerability could be exploited by malicious parties as well. The programmers of JailbreakMe are also providing a patch to close the security hole behind them for jailbroken users. Users of non-jailbroken iOS devices, however, will have to wait until Apple provides a fix.
Now, there's a dilemma: to wait for Apple to patch the vulnerability, or jailbreak your iDevice so that those nice people at JailbreakMe.com will patch it first.

According to that first post:
- iPhone4: 4.3 through 4.3.3
?

ChazUK
Jul 6, 2011, 02:43 AM
That was quite possibly the easiest jailbreak I've ever done.

Awesome stuff from the devs, shame for the hole tho.

TMar
Jul 6, 2011, 02:43 AM
They've had this in the works for awhile, I expected this to wait until iOS 5...

dc73pd
Jul 6, 2011, 02:44 AM
Holy crap! It works!

rikscha
Jul 6, 2011, 02:45 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I still have an old iPhone 3G which I'm not really using anymore since upgrading to iOS 4. By jailbreaking my old iPhone, is it possible to make it as snappy as before upgrading from iOS 3 to 4 ? That would really be the only purpose for me to jailbreak one of my iPhones.

Jerome Morrow
Jul 6, 2011, 02:46 AM
PDF is a security hellhole.

someone28624

Yes, just jailbroke my phone for the first time with it.

xUKHCx
Takes me back to the days of iOS 1.x.x, fond memories.

Apple will not like this as it is a genuine security risk. This will be fixed much more quickly than the other tethered types of jailbreak.

wordoflife
Jul 6, 2011, 02:48 AM
Isn't there some sort of disadvantage to doing this via the browser compared to the computer? Just curious.

sanke1
Jul 6, 2011, 02:49 AM
Boy that was easy!!!

ViRGE
Jul 6, 2011, 02:49 AM
Yes, but does it allow for unlocking of an iPhone 4 running iOS 4.3.3?No. An unlock is not available for baseband 4.10.01. Only baseband 1.59.00 (iOS 4.0.x) is unlockable.

rgarjr
Jul 6, 2011, 02:55 AM
I remember last time jailbreakme.com was active, dudes started jailbreaking iphones on display at the apple store.

Yewminyst
Jul 6, 2011, 02:56 AM
I was rocking iOS 4.3.1 on my iPad 2 and this was not working for me. Safari just crashed and nothing else happened. After updating to iOS 4.3.3, everything worked perfectly on the first try; Safari crashed followed by the appearance of the shiny new Cydia icon.

Rayfire
Jul 6, 2011, 02:59 AM
Good to have an option as quick as this to jailbreak.

nickpro
Jul 6, 2011, 03:01 AM
When I hit "install" and Cydia started downloading like an app from the app store it was like.......magic :D

unlimitedx
Jul 6, 2011, 03:08 AM
cool! finally :D

Ulf1103
Jul 6, 2011, 03:08 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm no expert in jailbreaking, but doesn't it slow down your device?

Just asking 'cause I've an iPhone 3GS.

murdercitydevil
Jul 6, 2011, 03:14 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No.

nabechu
Jul 6, 2011, 03:16 AM

nope

Shadow%20Mac
Jul 6, 2011, 03:22 AM

It's not the jailbreaking that slows your phone down, its all the background process that some idiots install. Some tweaks do it too, as well as springboard replacements (pogoplank)

fun173
Jul 6, 2011, 03:22 AM
I remember doing this with the First Gen touch... We have come a LONG way :)

greekappi
Jul 6, 2011, 03:23 AM
No. An unlock is not available for baseband 4.10.01. Only baseband 1.59.00 (iOS 4.0.x) is unlockable.

Yeah that's what I thought. When will the leet haxorz finally get "unlocking" figured out for the latest basebands?

RedTomato
Jul 6, 2011, 03:24 AM

No.
nope

It can do. Jailbreaking in and of itself doesn't do much to slow down your phone. However, it enables you to install system modifications of your choice which can severely slow down an iphone. Especially if you have many of them all running at the same time.

For me with my iphone 3G, it was worth it to make iOS 3 minimally usable (instant access to brightness, sms, and airplane mode) without slowing it down with iOS 4.

macsmurf
Jul 6, 2011, 03:25 AM
PDF is a security hellhole.

No it isn't. It's a document format. Apple's implementation of the PDF viewer apparently sucks, though. AFAIK there are also problems in Preview.app on OS X but at least you can't get root access from there.

ViRGE
Jul 6, 2011, 03:29 AM
Yeah that's what I thought. When will the leet haxorz finally get "unlocking" figured out for the latest basebands?Maybe tomorrow. Maybe never.

The baseband is the ultimate black box. Because breaking into it amounts to throwing everything and the kitchen sink at it and seeing what works, there's no way to tell when progress will be made.

Chopstick217
Jul 6, 2011, 03:30 AM
Worked flawlessly!

Norcalchavo
Jul 6, 2011, 03:31 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)

Awesome work by Comex. Only two taps and my iPad 2 was set FREE! looking forward to the new tweaks devs will come up with and to customizing my iPad 2 my OWN way and not the Apple way. Jailbreak FTW!

CJM
Jul 6, 2011, 03:34 AM
Is this the first method of JB for the iPad 2? As far as I know, it's been unjailbreakable til now.

lfc
Jul 6, 2011, 03:35 AM
More poor security from Apple. I wonder how long before viruses start using the same security holes.

Out of all the Jailbreaks that have been released over these many years, no viruses have been made other then a "virus" (not really) that hit Jailbroken users who installed OpenSSH and did not change the password. Even then it was limited to only being able to be used if you were connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the person distributing it, so hardly anyone was affected.
So no, don't expect any viruses.

rgarjr
Jul 6, 2011, 03:41 AM
Is this the first method of JB for the iPad 2? As far as I know, it's been unjailbreakable til now.

yeah, the ipad 2 is finally set free today.

yoak
Jul 6, 2011, 03:42 AM
I haven't jailbreaked an iPhone since the first gen. Had to back then as they didnt sell them over here.
What is the use these days other than tweaking appearance?
(i have no need for xxx rated apps)

meihcydna
Jul 6, 2011, 03:51 AM
Jailbreak isn't working for me, cydia pops up on my home screen and loads halfway but when it gets to installing, it disappears. I've tried to reboot and everything but it keeps disappearing. What to do...

Here's a link to my video depicting the problem:
http://youtu.be/Zyf30n5BLzs?hd=1

Jerome Morrow
Jul 6, 2011, 03:58 AM
No it isn't. It's a document format. Apple's implementation of the PDF viewer apparently sucks, though. AFAIK there are also problems in Preview.app on OS X but at least you can't get root access from there.

I'm talking in general here. Although on the other hand Acrobat and Acrobat Reader do suck a lot too (security wise). You think it's just bad coding on 4-5 separate applications?

killasapo
Jul 6, 2011, 04:00 AM
Hopefully downgrading iphone 3GS baseband is next on the list......

=)

jordanwar
Jul 6, 2011, 04:09 AM
wow it was worth the wait
quick and easy !!!

macsmurf
Jul 6, 2011, 04:13 AM
I'm talking in general here. Although on the other hand Acrobat and Acrobat Reader do suck a lot too (security wise). You think it's just bad coding on 4-5 separate applications?

Yes. PDF is one of the very few formats that gets displayed over the internet which means it is a target.

Charlie Miller reported that Preview.app was vulnerable to a technique known as "Fuzzing" which means you feed the program a PDF file with a few bytes changed randomly and if the program crashes you analyze the crash to find security exploits.

One way to fix this would be for Apple QA to test with fuzzing as well. It seems they don't.

http://blogs.forbes.com/firewall/2010/03/16/researcher-will-expose-20-hackable-apple-flaws/

kucyk
Jul 6, 2011, 04:22 AM
He did it again :):D

maarten64
Jul 6, 2011, 04:48 AM
I have an iPhone 4 jailbreaked with iOS 4.1. Can u upgrade through iTunes and jailbreak again without losing my (free) stuff?

Is it even worth the trouble?

JohnDoe98
Jul 6, 2011, 04:55 AM
I have an iPhone 4 jailbreaked with iOS 4.1. Can u upgrade through iTunes and jailbreak again without losing my (free) stuff?

Yes you can upgrade then JB and you won't lose anything. But you likely need a backup app for JB stuff.

robogobo
Jul 6, 2011, 05:00 AM
I love when there's a jailbreakme.com jailbreak vs using pwnage, redsnow, etc, because the only way to patch the security hole is to actually jailbreak. So the anti-jailbreakers can stuff it!

danwestbrook
Jul 6, 2011, 05:05 AM
Seems to be working fine, noticed my battery is going down a bit quicker, but then i've not put it down since jailbreaking :-)

killasapo
Jul 6, 2011, 05:08 AM

to my understanding you will have to redownload your apps again after the ios update =(

because the ios updates wipes anything that is not downloaded from the official app store

MacManiac76
Jul 6, 2011, 05:16 AM
For those that don't know, there is already a patch available in Cydia you can download called "PDF Patcher 2" by comex that plugs the pdf security hole used for JailbreakMe 3.0.

BeyondtheTech
Jul 6, 2011, 05:26 AM
More poor security from Apple. I wonder how long before viruses start using the same security holes.

Shouldn't we blame Adobe... didn't they create or adapt PDF technology? And you guys want Flash. That too is riddled with security holes, that's hell in a handbasket right there.

KnightWRX
Jul 6, 2011, 06:14 AM
Shouldn't we blame Adobe... didn't they create or adapt PDF technology? And you guys want Flash. That too is riddled with security holes, that's hell in a handbasket right there.

Adobe didn't write the PDF support in iOS, Apple did. Why would we blame Adobe ? The security flaw is not the specification for the PDF format, it's in Apple's implementation of that specification.

Please people, try to at least understand stuff beyond vendor names before you try to set blame on someone.

I don't know why people rejoice that a remote website can modify the core operating system on their phones. That to me just sounds really, really wrong.

Amazing Iceman
Jul 6, 2011, 06:19 AM
I have never tried to JB my iPad, but this time I'm considering doing it. the main reason is to be able to browse and manage all my files from one place, regardless of which App has them, and to be able to use the iPad as a Flash drive without having to install a helper App.

I only have some important questions pending:
- Will I be able to continue purchasing and Updating apps from the Tunes App Store?
- Will AirPlay continue to work?
- Will my 3G Service be affected?
- Will I still be able to Sync and Backup using iTunes?
- What functionality will I loose?

Thanks in Advance for any assistance regarding this matter.

txr0ckabilly
Jul 6, 2011, 06:25 AM
I have never tried to JB my iPad, but this time I'm considering doing it. the main reason is to be able to browse and manage all my files from one place, regardless of which App has them, and to be able to use the iPad as a Flash drive without having to install a helper App.

I only have some important questions pending:
- Will I be able to continue purchasing and Updating apps from the Tunes App Store?
- Will AirPlay continue to work?
- Will my 3G Service be affected?
- Will I still be able to Sync and Backup using iTunes?
- What functionality will I loose?

Thanks in Advance for any assistance regarding this matter.

-yes
-yes
-no
-yes
-none

Although I have no need for jail breaking anymore.

JohnDoe98
Jul 6, 2011, 06:28 AM
I don't know why people rejoice that a remote website can modify the core operating system on their phones. That to me just sounds really, really wrong.

Agreed, but it sure is convenient in this instance!

autrefois
Jul 6, 2011, 06:36 AM
I can't believe what a bunch of slackers the folks at Cydia are. They don't support iOS 4.3.3 on the Verizon iPhone? They'd really better step up their game or they'll...

What's that? You're kidding me, still?!

EDIT: This was meant as a joke, not a jab at Cydia. There is no 4.3.3 on Verizon yet! Cydia supports 4.2.8, the latest for Verizon.

That was the point: it's hard for some people to believe Apple still hasn't brought the Verizon and AT&T iPhones to the same release schedule yet for iOS. So the point was:

What's that? Apple still hasn't brought the Verizon iPhone to the same iOS version as the AT&T one, or the iPod touch and iPad for that matter?!? You're kidding me, still?!

Sorry if the joke didn't come through right...

striker33
Jul 6, 2011, 06:36 AM
They've had this in the works for awhile, I expected this to wait until iOS 5...

It would have been saved for iOS 5 no doubt if some retard hadnt leaked it.

sined85
Jul 6, 2011, 06:38 AM

Well my pandora won't start anymore. That sucks.
Anybody having the same problem?

KnightWRX
Jul 6, 2011, 06:45 AM
Agreed, but it sure is convenient in this instance!

There is nothing positive to convenience through poor security.

JohnDoe98
Jul 6, 2011, 06:49 AM
There is nothing positive to convenience through poor security.

I take it you don't have an ipad2 in need of a jb?

KnightWRX
Jul 6, 2011, 06:53 AM
I take it you don't have an ipad2 in need of a jb?

I take it that you leave your doors unlocked all the time when away from home since that is more convenient than dragging your keys along ?

Again, while convenient for anyone wanting to jailbreak (I have no reason to do so on my iPhone), it is not a positive thing to have such a gaping security hole around. Convenience should never trump security in my view when it comes to software.

JohnDoe98
Jul 6, 2011, 07:01 AM
I take it that you leave your doors unlocked all the time when away from home since that is more convenient than dragging your keys along ?

Actually, I do, but only the backdoor. Losing a key would be unfortunate, and only once did a visitor come in my back door while I was sleeping. She was looking for her friend who lived one floor up. It was quite amusing. And in case you think I live in a safe place, I'm in Baltimore.

Again, while convenient for anyone wanting to jailbreak (I have no reason to do so on my iPhone), it is not a positive thing to have such a gaping security hole around. Convenience should never trump security in my view when it comes to software.

Depends. How likely is it that someone would have found and exploited the hole faster than Comex did, and patched immediately thereafter? Apple is also likely to plug it rather quickly now, so it seems only good things came from this hole. I'm pragmatic, so if the consequences are good, so is the hole!

FrizzleFryBen
Jul 6, 2011, 07:05 AM
Funny... This is what I get from my iPhone4 running iOS4.3.3

KnightWRX
Jul 6, 2011, 07:09 AM
Depends. How likely is it that someone would have found and exploited the hole faster than Comex did, and patched immediately thereafter? Apple is also likely to plug it rather quickly now, so it seems only good things came from this hole. I'm pragmatic, so if the consequences are good, so is the hole!

This hole isn't patched, and the consequences of it are not entirely known. You never know who can and will exploit (or has!) this hole. Like your backdoor (I'm guessing you don't leave it unlocked when you're away like you hint you do).

Apple hasn't patched it, anyone who is not jailbroken or has not installed the patch after jailbreaking is not safe from exploits.

Again, this isn't positive. There is no rejoicing to be had here and I find Macrumors as always to be irresponsible to report this as a "Jailbreak easily!" story instead of a "nasty security hole lets remote websites execute code that modifies the core OS!".

mike5411
Jul 6, 2011, 07:20 AM
This week: iOS 4.3.4 will launch. ;)

JohnDoe98
Jul 6, 2011, 07:24 AM
This hole isn't patched, and the consequences of it are not entirely known. You never know who can and will exploit (or has!) this hole. Like your backdoor (I'm guessing you don't leave it unlocked when you're away like you hint you do).

Apple hasn't patched it, anyone who is not jailbroken or has not installed the patch after jailbreaking is not safe from exploits.

Again, this isn't positive. There is no rejoicing to be had here and I find Macrumors as always to be irresponsible to report this as a "Jailbreak easily!" story instead of a "nasty security hole lets remote websites execute code that modifies the core OS!".

Your too serious Knight ;), but as always, well motivated, though perhaps a little over cautious. But I guess we've both expressed our views so I can return back to the Tour now (and yes, I do leave it unlocked when away, just so you know I wasn't lying to make a point)!

millerb7
Jul 6, 2011, 07:25 AM
No software is safe.

The End.

Jailbreak, enjoy, have fun.

venturergaz
Jul 6, 2011, 07:28 AM
Hi All, please advise

I have used jailbreakme to update the original 4.0.1 and have never gone back - jailbreak is great as it allows me to watch sky sports on TV.

Therefore all im loosing is the new features apple have added in 4.3.3 such as facetime to ipad etc which i would find useful.

Whats the easiest way to update to 4.3.3 and then use this jailbreak tool today?

Will there be any chance that apple would push out an update today that would cause me problems when trying to update tonight?

thanks for all

mikejfrd
Jul 6, 2011, 07:34 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is there any advantage to upgrading to the newest jb from a previous jb version?

nitropowered
Jul 6, 2011, 07:48 AM
Just did it on my iPad2. Been waiting for this forever!

Dr McKay
Jul 6, 2011, 07:50 AM
It can do. Jailbreaking in and of itself doesn't do much to slow down your phone. However, it enables you to install system modifications of your choice which can severely slow down an iphone. Especially if you have many of them all running at the same time.

For me with my iphone 3G, it was worth it to make iOS 3 minimally usable (instant access to brightness, sms, and airplane mode) without slowing it down with iOS 4.

Install iOverclock :D clocks the iPhones processor up to 1Ghz, as currently it's under clocked to 800Mhz

Wow that's insane, jail breaking my iPad in under 10 seconds....

azentropy
Jul 6, 2011, 07:55 AM
Nice to see it brought for the iPad 2 as I really missed RetinaPad from my iPad 1. However it is too late as I've already moved on to the iOS 5 beta.

Such a shame that Apple didn't implement a RetinaPad feature in iOS 5. Marketing wins out again...

ThatDudeF
Jul 6, 2011, 07:56 AM
This is great news - Jailbreaking couldn't be any easier. Any ideas on which iPad apps on Cydia is the best?

shadowbird423
Jul 6, 2011, 08:03 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

It would have been saved for iOS 5 no doubt if some retard hadnt leaked it.

No.
I0n1c discovered that his exploit was patched in the first iOS beta, which came out before the files were leaked.

shadowbird423
Jul 6, 2011, 08:07 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

Nice to see it brought for the iPad 2 as I really missed RetinaPad from my iPad 1. However it is too late as I've already moved on to the iOS 5 beta.

Such a shame that Apple didn't implement a RetinaPad feature in iOS 5. Marketing wins out again...

You can still downgrade, just save your shsh with TinyUmbrella (google it if you don't know what that is, I'm not in a position to attach a link). Do that even if you don't want to downgrade now.. Apple is changing the way they prevent downgrades of firmware.

cubbie5150
Jul 6, 2011, 08:11 AM
Nice of Comex, et al to provide a patch for the security hole. :D:D

Spanky Deluxe
Jul 6, 2011, 08:17 AM
Just used the jailbreak tool on my new iPad 2. I've only done it for ScummVM though, don't really see the need in anything else (yet).

azentropy
Jul 6, 2011, 08:21 AM
You can still downgrade, just save your shsh with TinyUmbrella (google it if you don't know what that is, I'm not in a position to attach a link). Do that even if you don't want to downgrade now.. Apple is changing the way they prevent downgrades of firmware.

I've been spoiled by the iOS 5 features and also have been doing some development, so not worth going back now.

mjsto
Jul 6, 2011, 08:22 AM

Does this work for iOS 5 beta 2? Does jailbreaking also mean unlocking? If not, can anyone recommend an easy solution?

Prallethrin
Jul 6, 2011, 08:25 AM
I hope Apple patches this soon.

If the PDF vulnerability can be used to root and given the attackers free rein over the OS, then it can be used to install malware.

Jailbreakers will not be happy, but I don't expect, nor want, Apple to sacrifice the security of millions of phones just so a handful jailbreakers can practice their little hobby.

PS:
I view the hacking of the PS3 the same way.

Jailbreaker/Homebrewers are free to not buy these locked down products, there are open alternatives (Android/Desktop PC) out there for them to use.

mbp17xxx
Jul 6, 2011, 08:35 AM
are all games in app store available in the jailbreak?

llarson
Jul 6, 2011, 08:42 AM
iPhone 4 (att) 4.3.3 (8J2) and the jailbreakme.com starts to download Cydia then stops.

Have seen lots of posts stating the same.

It states that it should work on all versions through 4.3.3.

Heads up

vartanarsen
Jul 6, 2011, 08:45 AM
Hi guys...
Isnt there a permanent, un-patchable jailbreak in the works with Dev team?
Why dont they just release that one once and for all, and be done with it?

Jovian9
Jul 6, 2011, 08:53 AM
iPhone 4 (att) 4.3.3 (8J2) and the jailbreakme.com starts to download Cydia then stops.

Heads up

Same thing here.

DroidRules
Jul 6, 2011, 08:59 AM
I can't believe what a bunch of slackers the folks at Cydia are. They don't support iOS 4.3.3 on the Verizon iPhone? They'd really better step up their game or they'll...
What's that? You're kidding me, still?!

WoW you must have nuts the size of bowling balls to say something like that. How much time have YOU put into Cydia? How much of your day has been taken up with trying to make sure cydia runs on what ever hardware/software out there? What? How much? Yeah thats what I thought. How about you be thankful that cydia is free and will eventually be available for your device.

Some people's misplaced sense of entitlement makes me want to kick them in the junk.

If the PDF vulnerability can be used to root and given the attackers free rein over the OS, then it can be used to install malware.
Jailbreakers will not be happy, but I don't expect, nor want, Apple to sacrifice the security of millions of phones just so a handful jailbreakers can practice their little hobby.
PS:
Jailbreaker/Homebrewers are free to not buy these locked down products, there are open alternatives (Android/Desktop PC) out there for them to use.
You have to download a PDF, so if YOU infect your phone that's on you.

Ihatefall
Jul 6, 2011, 09:03 AM
Same thing here.

Guys it's not your firmware or your phone. Its the site (jailbreakme.com) crashing! the same thing happened last time. Try again tonight!

Also to the other people asking the same questions. Go to jailbreakme.com on your phone and read the FAQs going to that site doesn't instantly jailbreak your phone.

The jailbreak has almost always happened via the phone. redsnow, etc.
:cool:

frozencarbonite
Jul 6, 2011, 09:04 AM
I wanna try this right now but I haven't synced to iTunes in a week or so. If Apple hasn't pushed an update before I get home from work today, I'll check it out. I've always wanted to try jailbreaking but never liked the process.

phpmaven
Jul 6, 2011, 09:08 AM

I've jailbroken a few times and I always end up going back because of how laggy and buggy my devices become. Of course that is just my personal experience, but many others have experienced the same, especially on the iPad.

phairphan
Jul 6, 2011, 09:14 AM
WoW you must have nuts the size of bowling balls to say something like that. How much time have YOU put into Cydia? How much of your day has been taken up with trying to make sure cydia runs on what ever hardware/software out there? What? How much? Yeah thats what I thought. How about you be thankful that cydia is free and will eventually be available for your device.

Some people's misplaced sense of entitlement makes me want to kick them in the junk.

That was a commentary on 4.3.3 still not being available for the CDMA iPhone. I thought it was funny. You should probably have another cup of coffee.

Cybbe
Jul 6, 2011, 09:21 AM

Actually, we are free to do whatever we want with our own fully purchased phones. Too bad for you we live in a free world, your orwellian dream truly scares me.

llarson
Jul 6, 2011, 09:21 AM
Guys it's not your firmware or your phone. Its the site (jailbreakme.com) crashing! the same thing happened last time. Try again tonight!

:cool:

Okay that is good news.

Will continue to try!

Xenomorph
Jul 6, 2011, 09:28 AM
I've jailbroken a few times and I always end up going back because of how laggy and buggy my devices become. Of course that is just my personal experience, but many others have experienced the same, especially on the iPad.

Stop installing crap.

Seriously, I've seen people Jailbreak, then install junk like WinterBoard, a mess of themes, ever lame tweak and addon they can, and then are SURPRISED when their device suddenly doesn't work right. Jailbreaking removes the artificial barrier Apple puts there to "protect" you. Once you remove that barrier, it is up to YOU to know "when to say when".

Jailbreak, then install something like *just* Barrel. You get smooth, 3D animations. Does that slow things down? What about installing Phone GV/SMS GV Extensions for free calls and SMS. Does that slow things down?
What about DataDeposit? A GREAT tool for backing up individual games/apps. It doesn't impact performance at all.

Spectrum
Jul 6, 2011, 09:34 AM
Any ideas? Cydia gets half way through downloading then the icon disappears.

Also, since installing 4.3.3 (I was on 3.2.2) my 3G service has stopped. Is there a solution? It just states "No Service". I tried replugging in the SIM card.

CrAkD
Jul 6, 2011, 09:39 AM
I've been jail breaking since 1.0 and that was the quickest and easiest jailbreak I've ever done. Comex is the man.

techfreak85
Jul 6, 2011, 09:43 AM
Aw man... This got me reminiscing about the 1.1.1 days.:o

shardey
Jul 6, 2011, 09:44 AM
Is anyone else not having luck with an iPad 2 and this jailbreak? I have restarted the ipad, reset cache, closed safari. 4.3.3

shadowbird423
Jul 6, 2011, 09:47 AM
Any ideas? Cydia gets half way through downloading then the icon disappears.

Also, since installing 4.3.3 (I was on 3.2.2) my 3G service has stopped. Is there a solution? It just states "No Service". I tried replugging in the SIM card.

Just restore it, that should get rid of it.

I've been spoiled by the iOS 5 features and also have been doing some development, so not worth going back now.

It's spoiled me as well, I can't go back. It doesn't run like a beta.. no problems here.

Does this work for iOS 5 beta 2? Does jailbreaking also mean unlocking? If not, can anyone recommend an easy solution?

No, a jailbreak doesn't necessarily provide an unlock. And the only way to unlock iOS 5 Beta 2 is to use a Gevey sim (and you need to have a downgraded baseband). PM me for more details.

Hi guys...
Isnt there a permanent, un-patchable jailbreak in the works with Dev team?
Why dont they just release that one once and for all, and be done with it?

You do realize it's not a walk in the park to do all this, right? This exploit (which is userland and not as permanent) took nearly 6 months to develop. 6 MONTHS. Apple isn't exactly making it easy.

Spectrum
Jul 6, 2011, 09:52 AM
Just restore it, that should get rid of it.

Can you explain further? Restore the iPad using iTunes? Then retry the Jailbreak? Updating to 4.3.3. just took up the past 2 hours, will I need to go through all that again?!?

motulist
Jul 6, 2011, 10:00 AM
Why can nothing ever jailbreak my ~2nd gen iPod touch!!!

bobthedino
Jul 6, 2011, 10:19 AM

The problem last time with the PDF viewer was a bug in the FreeType open source font rendering library that Apple uses: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4291.

I wonder if it's FreeType again?

vartanarsen
Jul 6, 2011, 10:20 AM
Guys, have you had any trouble locating PDF Patcher 2...it seems like all that comes up for me is PDF Patch.

Im looking in Cydia on my previously JB iPhone.....already jailbroken so not using jailbreak me 3. However, I would like to patch PDF hole.

iphone1105
Jul 6, 2011, 10:24 AM
Why can nothing ever jailbreak my ~2nd gen iPod touch!!!

you own old tech....that's why

motulist
Jul 6, 2011, 10:27 AM
you own old tech....that's why

That's NOT why. First of all, this iPod Touch is about 10 months old, bought new directly from Apple. Secondly, jailbreak tools existed back then too, and they listed this device on their list of devices that it was supposed to work on, but they never actually worked on this device.

jarvis8484
Jul 6, 2011, 10:38 AM
I'm new to jailbreaking . . . I just used cydia on my iphone4 (4.3.3), can someone help me with how to allow tethering? Thanks in advance . . .

ratzzo
Jul 6, 2011, 10:41 AM
One step closer for the iPad 2 jailbreak. I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 and an iPad 2 and I seriously feel handicapped when using my iPad 2. It is that much different, I can hardly customize anything compared to my phone.

Onimusha370
Jul 6, 2011, 10:53 AM
I'm new to jailbreaking . . . I just used cydia on my iphone4 (4.3.3), can someone help me with how to allow tethering? Thanks in advance . . .

get mywi from cydia, its pretty awesome

vartanarsen
Jul 6, 2011, 10:54 AM

Easy:))) Just install TetherMe for $5.

I know how you feel--its ridiculous to charge for tethering/hotspot....its not a service, but rather an iPhone feature. like somone else on here said the other day...its like starbucks charging you more money for a taller straw..the iced coffee amount is exactly the same.

thespazz
Jul 6, 2011, 10:59 AM
One step closer for the iPad 2 jailbreak. I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 and an iPad 2 and I seriously feel handicapped when using my iPad 2. It is that much different, I can hardly customize anything compared to my phone.

This is the ipad2 jailbreak...

lilcosco08
Jul 6, 2011, 11:03 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Comex is the man!

SonGoku v2.5
Jul 6, 2011, 11:12 AM
I've been jail breaking since 1.0 and that was the quickest and easiest jailbreak I've ever done. Comex is the man.

I know, it's incredible...plus with the site being up, I had no problems like I initially did with last year's Jailbreakme.com exploit. I love that I had to do no DFUs, no shutting down, rebooting, IPSWs, all that crap. Granted it seems to be a rarity these Safari PDF exploits, but well worth it for fans of and people interested in the concept of jailbreaking.

mbp17xxx
Jul 6, 2011, 11:20 AM
do i remove cydia like any other app, just delete it?

farleysmaster
Jul 6, 2011, 11:21 AM
Is this untethered?

jpe1974
Jul 6, 2011, 11:23 AM
:( "Note:Cannot Locate Packages"
After downloading Cydia I noticed while trying to install a package (example "full screen") I get a message saying "Note:Cannot Locate Packages" There are 5 sources installed but the only one that has packages listed is for "Telesphoreo". Bigboss, Modmyi, repo666 and ZodTTD are all listed in Sources but there are no packages. I tried to refresh in changes but still nothing. Please Help!!!!!!!

trrosen
Jul 6, 2011, 11:23 AM
DMCA Takedown notice in 5.4.3.2...

hello dad...in in jail!!

CQd44
Jul 6, 2011, 11:28 AM
DMCA Takedown notice in 5.4.3.2...

hello dad...in in jail!!

Jailbreaking is legal.

trrosen
Jul 6, 2011, 11:32 AM
Jailbreaking is legal.

Sorry dude LOC exemption is only for phones. You making it available for iPad or iPod is and always has been illegal.

Jovian9
Jul 6, 2011, 11:46 AM
I wasn't able to get this to work on my iPhone 4. I had 4.1 with a previous jailbreak on it and it was fine. I just wanted to try this method out to see it myself. I updated to 4.3.3 today and then tried it. Safari (on jailbreakme.com) would let me hit the install button (on my phone of course) and then safari would close and nothing would happen. I went to a direct link on the jailbreakme.com-forums for my phone and that time it showed the Cydia app installing for a brief moment and quit. I did restarts, cleared cache/history and did a restore but it never worked.

I just decided to go back and use Redsnow and got everything up and running on 4.3.3 as I didn't want to spend any more time playing with it.

Romanesq
Jul 6, 2011, 11:49 AM

Unreal. Installed via tethered iPhone. Done! Simply Amazing! :cool:

rick snagwell
Jul 6, 2011, 11:53 AM
do i remove cydia like any other app, just delete it?

no way, that is your jb app store.

lilcosco08
Jul 6, 2011, 11:56 AM
Sorry dude LOC exemption is only for phones. You making it available for iPad or iPod is and always has been illegal.

So that's why jailbreakme.com 1.0 was taken down before when it worked on all device--

Oh wait.

ThunderSkunk
Jul 6, 2011, 12:19 PM
"No Lock Screen" just made my week.

+

Being able to run AirDisplay & iTeleport over USB via MyWi. The iPad2 becomes a perfect external touchscreen monitor for the MBP!

=

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME

iphone1105
Jul 6, 2011, 12:19 PM
That's NOT why. First of all, this iPod Touch is about 10 months old, bought new directly from Apple. Secondly, jailbreak tools existed back then too, and they listed this device on their list of devices that it was supposed to work on, but they never actually worked on this device.

Yeah your tech is old, way old, the 4g was released 10 months ago, the 2g i believe was 2007 thats ages in tech. face it you own old stuff and regardless should never expect to be in on the new goodies, it's just how it works bro! :)

likemyorbs
Jul 6, 2011, 12:30 PM

Sorry dude, you're wrong. Jailbreaking is perfectly legal regardless of what device you use. It's your device and you have the legal right to modify the software in any way you choose. That's the law.

3goldens
Jul 6, 2011, 12:31 PM

PS:

Hahaha
"a handful jailbreakers"
surely you jest!
if your so concerned why the hell are you on the hacker thread?

pmz
Jul 6, 2011, 01:26 PM

PS:

P.S. nobody cares.

Security holes always exist, and comex had to work extremely hard to make this one do what he wanted it to do. hacking is not easy.

While this is a security hole, and its now public, i guarantee you that you never hear of malware getting on to iOS devices through this hole. It just doesn't happen the way you imagine it does.

llarson
Jul 6, 2011, 01:34 PM

Heads up

Did a factory reset and was able to get the jailbreakme.com to work.

Simply reset it with old back up after wards and reloaded CYDIA apps after that.

fahadqureshi
Jul 6, 2011, 01:42 PM
P.S. nobody cares.

Security holes always exist, and comex had to work extremely hard to make this one do what he wanted it to do. hacking is not easy.

While this is a security hole, and its now public, i guarantee you that you never hear of malware getting on to iOS devices through this hole. It just doesn't happen the way you imagine it does.

very true. the only malware/virus that even came semi-close to getting on an iOS device through any kind of hole was when jailbreakers install openSSH and didn't change the default password. and even that only when you happen to be on the same wifi network as a hacker who is actively distributing said offensive content to iOS devices.

ericthered
Jul 6, 2011, 01:58 PM
was using greenpoison and decided to update the OS and JB using this. Seems much cleaner.

The update was a real PITA but it's working fine now.

THANKS!

munkery
Jul 6, 2011, 02:34 PM

Apparently, it took 10 months to develop Jailbreakme 3.0. Most likely, not all that time was dedicated to the exploit's development but it shows that development is not easy.

As usual, it appears that some of these bugs are not present in OS X so using a derivative of this exploit in malware on a broader scale is not likely to occur before a patch is released by Apple.

very true. the only malware/virus that even came semi-close to getting on an iOS device through any kind of hole was when jailbreakers install openSSH and didn't change the default password. and even that only when you happen to be on the same wifi network as a hacker who is actively distributing said offensive content to iOS devices.

Actually, if the final payload for this exploit was changed from Cydia to something malicious, it would facilitate the install of malware.

This type of jailbreak is an example of a remote exploit being chained together with a local exploit to produce a remote root.

I believe much of the reason this occurs more frequently in iOS is that jailbreaking provides a motive to search for these bugs (most of which do not affect OS X but it somewhat represents a code audit of both iOS and OS X) and because iOS is only 32 bit.

32 bit security mitigations (ASLR and XD in this case) can be bypassed using brute force based methods or ROP (as I believe was used in this example; also works against 64 bit). Many of the security mitigations used in iOS differ from those of OS X.

Local exploits, as used in Jailbreakme, are not common in iOS.

http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=apple+ios+gain+privileges

That link shows previous examples of such vulnerabilities; one of which was used in Jailbreakme 2, which also used a Safari based exploitation vector.

Cybbe
Jul 6, 2011, 03:17 PM

This is ********. And by the way, LOC doesn't have to approve of anything before it becomes legal. Why are people all of a sudden so anxious to live in an Apple-ruled fascist state?

Jailbreaking is as legal as breathing air until proven otherwise in an enforceable court judgment.

munkery
Jul 6, 2011, 03:31 PM
Please remove.

srxtr
Jul 6, 2011, 03:48 PM

You're holding it wrong

bluemonkeyguy
Jul 6, 2011, 03:54 PM
In the heart of this fresh jailbreak, I present all those morally concerned on piracy an image, enjoy;):

http://boingboing.net/images/xeni/xs3qw_02b4.jpg

hglk
Jul 6, 2011, 04:07 PM

I actually do leave my doors unlocked for convenience. I live in a very nice neighborhood.

rk1985
Jul 6, 2011, 04:10 PM
I actually do leave my doors unlocked for convenience. I live in a very nice neighborhood.

You also live in...Utah.

hglk
Jul 6, 2011, 04:17 PM
You also live in...Utah.

Which is nice.

tripman
Jul 6, 2011, 05:17 PM
Don't know why, but I've been trying on and on during the last 30'. Once I click on the "install", the app comes, download starts but immediately appears: "Tehre was a problem downloading the jailbreak files. Invalid checksum". I just eamil Comex as a message came up on the phone following these failures.

Anybody experienced the same? :confused::confused::(:(

aleXXXps
Jul 6, 2011, 05:28 PM
I also get the invalid checksum error.

CubusX
Jul 6, 2011, 05:29 PM
Every iPhone reboot took forever after jail breaking on an iPhone 4 with 4.2.8.

I never had this problem on any other iPhone after jail breaking . Anyone else seeing this issue?

dfinecy
Jul 6, 2011, 05:58 PM
Jailbroke my 32gb verizon iphone with 4.2.8 and i tried to download several apps but either the installer has frozen or the phone goes blank and is unresponsive. I'm on my second restore already :( any thoughts?

jeromecha
Jul 6, 2011, 06:37 PM

Cydia would load but not install! I ended up doing a full restore (to make my 3GS like new), THEN reloaded everything, THEN jailbroke the device. Cydia FINALLY loaded & I am good to go! Took about 1 1/2 hrs total.

CubusX
Jul 6, 2011, 06:52 PM
Jailbroke my 32gb verizon iphone with 4.2.8 and i tried to download several apps but either the installer has frozen or the phone goes blank and is unresponsive. I'm on my second restore already :( any thoughts?

I have jail broken all five versions of the iPhone (I count the Verizon iPhone 4 counts as a separate version). Never had this problem. Ever...

Wonder if it is not fully compatible.

johnandjack
Jul 6, 2011, 07:55 PM
I was having the same problem with the "invalid checksum" error and was successful with the following:

1. Close all open apps
2. Do a hard reboot of iPhone by pressing and holding both Home button and Sleep/Wake button simultaneously until the phone reboots (white Apple logo appears)
3. Go to www.jailbreakme.com and download Cydia

Worked great...easiest jailbreak ever.

Don't forget to change your root and mobile root password...the Mobile Terminal app crashes for some reason following 4.3.1, but I found the solution here:

http://iphonejailbreaks.org/mobile-terminal-crashes-on-ios-4-3-1-here-is-the-solution/

Cheers,
Johnny

marshallbedsaul
Jul 6, 2011, 10:15 PM
ah
went to site on my verizon iphone cydia installed but go to packages or browse goodies and get msssg nothing there ect..

Shunnabunich
Jul 7, 2011, 03:23 AM
This may seem like a no-brainer to some, but I was dumb enough to have it happen to me, so I thought I'd post it: once you've jailbroken your iPad, be very wary about installing Cydia packages designed for iPhone/iPod touch. There could be compatibility issues of varying seriousness.

I installed Light Bright on my iPad 2 to try it out. That was a mistake. Froze the device solid after a few seconds of use, and once I hard-rebooted it, SpringBoard seemed to think it was running on an iPhone — the whole screen was filled, but all icons (except folder icons) were rendered at their iPhone sizes, spaced way out near the edges at 4x4 instead of the iPad's 5x5. Even the keyboard in Spotlight was an iPhone keyboard, stuck at the far left. Running any app, including Cydia, crashed the thing so hard it rebooted all over again. It's currently stuck most of the way through restoring, with no sign that it intends to finish. (Edit: it just finished...which may or may not have anything to do with the fact that I installed and opened the latest version of TinyUmbrella seconds earlier.)

Don't be a dumbass like me! Be wise. Be safe. Be...aware. :D

Hell0W0rld
Jul 7, 2011, 04:08 AM
I just don't like Jailbreaks, because well I guess I am lazy...
I mean what is it you can do with a jailbreak?
You can install non-apple-approved software, use pirated apps, browse the file system, right?

The non-apple-approved software may or may not be non-approved for a good reason, if it is a good or bad reason, well that is a different topic.
Personally I admit I don't no much about the Cyndia apps, but I don't really care either, some may be good e.g. wifi- sync, but that will come anyway with ios 5 so I just wait.

Second the pirated apps, most of the iphone developers are indie devs or people like you and me, I don't no about you, but I don't like the idea of some small developer losing part of there income, because of a jailbreak. It is just wrong not to pay them for their work!

And last the file browsing capability, while I see the potential in there it isn't just easy enough. You either have to install openssh or use some other software, why do I have to do this, that is not why I bought an apple device.
If I would want software, where I would have/want to adjust anything I would buy android and use windows or linux.

What I like about apple products is they are almost carefree and they are dumped down enough, so I can concentrate on the work itself, not on the device.

But well if you folk want to use the jailbreak go ahead and do so, I won't and this post was a waste of my time...

tripman
Jul 7, 2011, 04:23 AM
Don't know why, but I've been trying on and on during the last 30'. Once I click on the "install", the app comes, download starts but immediately appears: "Tehre was a problem downloading the jailbreak files. Invalid checksum". I just eamil Comex as a message came up on the phone following these failures.

Anybody experienced the same? :confused::confused::(:(

I finally succeeded by using the mobile network (3G) rather than my WiFi network... Don't really know why, but it did work immediately. And then spent 1 or 2 hours getting some apps on Cydia.

redAPPLE
Jul 7, 2011, 04:41 AM
had already jailbroken my iPad 1.0 (ios 4.3.2) through other means. upgrading to 4.3.3 should not really be necessary (amirite?).

and if ever i upgrade (and using jailbreakme), would all installed cydia apps have to be reinstalled and reconfigured?

Fainer
Jul 7, 2011, 06:03 AM

Cydia would load but not install! I ended up doing a full restore (to make my 3GS like new), THEN reloaded everything, THEN jailbroke the device. Cydia FINALLY loaded & I am good to go! Took about 1 1/2 hrs total.

Yea, I had to do the same thing. I restored to factory, installed from a previous backup, the installing Cydia worked. Unfortunately for me, like a dummy, I didn't start the process until late and ended up not getting to bed till after 2am!! Ug. Today is going to suck....

Habakuk
Jul 7, 2011, 08:38 AM
German magazine "Spiegel Online":

http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/gadgets/0,1518,772962,00.html

Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik (Federal Office for Information Security; similar role as the NIST, United States, or CCTA, United Kingdom; Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Office_for_Information_Security)) warns of iOS 4: Critical security hole in iOS 4 PDF reader.

Wikipedia: Spiegel Online (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiegel_Online)

Spiegel Online (or short: SPON), the online version of Der Spiegel, is one of the most visited news websites in German language.

REBOOTME
Jul 7, 2011, 09:20 AM
Works for me!

ESPN
Jul 7, 2011, 10:59 AM
I remember last time jailbreakme.com was active, dudes started jailbreaking iphones on display at the apple store.

LOL, I can't wait to hear about it this time. :)

autrefois
Jul 7, 2011, 03:14 PM

Some people's misplaced violent anger over something they are ill-informed about makes me sigh. My post about Cydia not supporting 4.3.3 on Verizon was meant to be a joke.

1) There is no 4.3.3 on Verizon / CDMA's phone.
2) Apple still hasn't brought the Verizon phone up to the same build, which many find frustrating: no iCloud preview, etc.
3) Cydia supports the latest Verizon build released by Apple (4.2.8).
4) I thought people on MacRumors would know this, but I apologize if the allusion wasn't clear.
5) I was not insulting Cydia. I was making light of the fact that Apple still can't get all its i-devices on the same OS.
6) I don't have a Verizon iPhone.
7) I don't feel entitled to anything, except perhaps not having people say they want to kick me in the junk for no reason.

Maybe my humor wasn't good, but was it really something to get that upset about?

cubbie5150
Jul 7, 2011, 03:45 PM
Some people's misplaced violent anger over something they are ill-informed about makes me sigh. My post about Cydia not supporting 4.3.3 on Verizon was meant to be a joke.

1) There is no 4.3.3 on Verizon / CDMA's phone.
2) Apple still hasn't brought the Verizon phone up to the same build, which many find frustrating: no iCloud preview, etc.
3) Cydia supports the latest Verizon build released by Apple (4.2.8).
4) I thought people on MacRumors would know this, but I apologize if the allusion wasn't clear.
5) I was not insulting Cydia. I was making light of the fact that Apple still can't get all its i-devices on the same OS.
6) I don't have a Verizon iPhone.
7) I don't feel entitled to anything, except perhaps not having people say they want to kick me in the junk for no reason.

Maybe my humor wasn't good, but was it really something to get that upset about?

FWIW I thought it was kinda funny. But yeah, peeps getting their e-peens all enflamed so easily. Lame.

3goldens
Jul 8, 2011, 09:14 AM
I just don't like Jailbreaks, because well I guess I am lazy...
I mean what is it you can do with a jailbreak?
You can install non-apple-approved software, use pirated apps, browse the file system, right?

The non-apple-approved software may or may not be non-approved for a good reason, if it is a good or bad reason, well that is a different topic.
Personally I admit I don't no much about the Cyndia apps, but I don't really care either, some may be good e.g. wifi- sync, but that will come anyway with ios 5 so I just wait.

Second the pirated apps, most of the iphone developers are indie devs or people like you and me, I don't no about you, but I don't like the idea of some small developer losing part of there income, because of a jailbreak. It is just wrong not to pay them for their work!

And last the file browsing capability, while I see the potential in there it isn't just easy enough. You either have to install openssh or use some other software, why do I have to do this, that is not why I bought an apple device.
If I would want software, where I would have/want to adjust anything I would buy android and use windows or linux.

What I like about apple products is they are almost carefree and they are dumped down enough, so I can concentrate on the work itself, not on the device.

But well if you folk want to use the jailbreak go ahead and do so, I won't and this post was a waste of my time...

well thanks for your permission, and your right it was a waste of your time, which obviously you have a little too much of! Your opinion is riddled with idiotic statements.