PDA

View Full Version : Disable Airport on iBook G4

mlofoto
Jul 6, 2011, 07:50 AM
I have an iBook G4, 1.33mhz and am experiencing kernal panics upon startup. When I disable Airport using Safe-Boot through the terminal using:
/sbin/mount -uw /
cd /System/Library/Extensions
mv AppleAirPort.kext /
mv AppleAirPort2.kext /
it will restart fine. Problem is this: When I shut-down the computer, the next time I restart, I have to start in Safe-Boot again, disable airport, and restart. Is there a solution to permanently disable airport?

Thanks
ML

mac.tastic
Jul 6, 2011, 07:52 AM
Remove the card or reinstall the OS.

mlofoto
Jul 6, 2011, 08:13 AM
Removing the card is...do-able but difficult. You have to take the entire case apart and go all the way to the logic board. I have reloaded and upgraded the OS and it doesn't help..

ML

mac.tastic
Jul 6, 2011, 09:05 AM
Looks to be a failed card if the OS install didn't fix it.

misshelene
Feb 3, 2012, 02:27 PM
The model of iBook G4 i use is from mid 2005 so there is no option of removing the AirPort card since it's kinda hot-wired into the rest of the electronics.

And there is no way of turning it off in OpenFirmware like on the BIOS on a PC.

This is how i got it working.

Start the machine in safe-mode.

Start terminal.

type "sudo -s" (and provide root/admin password - if any).

Go to "/System/Library/Extensions" and delete every file having the dreaded "AppleAirPort*" in them... There usually is 2 or 3, named "AppleAirPort.kext", "AppleAirPort1.kext", "AppleAirPort2.kext", you get it.

Just type "rm AppleAirPort*".

Reboot your machine. That should do it. But every time an update installs those files simply delete them.. Works for me :)