PDA

View Full Version : Apple Preparing 'Thinner and Lighter' iPhone for Third Quarter Launch

MacRumors
Jul 6, 2011, 08:21 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/06/apple-preparing-thinner-and-lighter-iphone-for-third-quarter-launch/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/iphone_4_side_shot.jpg

The Wall Street Journal reports (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303544604576429292482910586.html) that Apple is indeed preparing a new iPhone for a launch during the third quarter of this year, with an initial production target of 25 million units through the end of the year."Apple's sales estimates of the new iPhone is quite aggressive. It told us to prepare to help the company meet its goal of 25 million units by the end of the year," said another person at one of Apple's suppliers. "The initial production volume will be a few million units... we were told to ship the components to assembler Hon Hai in August."Countering claims that the next-generation iPhone will be nearly identical in appearance to the iPhone 4, the Journal's sources indicate that the new device will be "thinner and lighter" and that Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn/Hon Hai is having difficulties with yield rate on the new device due to it being "complicated and difficult to assemble."Two of the people, however, cautioned that shipments of the new iPhone could be delayed if Hon Hai can't improve its yield rate as the new iPhone is "complicated and difficult to assemble."Reports over the past few months have been pointing to a September release for the next-generation iPhone, which has been said to carry Apple's A5 processor found in the iPad 2, an 8-megapixel rear camera, and a baseband chip from Qualcomm to support both GSM and CDMA networks.

Article Link: Apple Preparing 'Thinner and Lighter' iPhone for Third Quarter Launch (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/06/apple-preparing-thinner-and-lighter-iphone-for-third-quarter-launch/)

wordoflife
Jul 6, 2011, 08:24 AM
I wonder how much thinner Apple will be able to make these things.

talkingfuture
Jul 6, 2011, 08:25 AM
Wow 25 million is an amazing number, although I think they might just sell them all anyway!

decimortis
Jul 6, 2011, 08:27 AM
Journal's sources indicate that the new device will be "thinner and lighter" and that Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn/Hon Hai is having difficulties with yield rate on the new device due to it being "complicated and difficult to assemble."

It's hard to get all that Magical™ in there ya know.

D.

Patrick J
Jul 6, 2011, 08:29 AM
It's going to start being a pain to hold if it gets any thinner. I hate how thin the iPod touch is. It looks cool, but not that functional.

bushido
Jul 6, 2011, 08:30 AM

the iPhone 4 is fat compared to the latest smartphones

Thunderhawks
Jul 6, 2011, 08:32 AM

They are thinking of all the women asking:

Does this make me look fat?

HelveticaNeue
Jul 6, 2011, 08:32 AM
Gimme, gimme, gimme!

Hopefully they will make enough to include Canada with the US, UK and other countries in the first release this time. The wait last year almost killed me.

hismikeness
Jul 6, 2011, 08:33 AM
It's going to start being a pain to hold if it gets any thinner. I hate how thin the iPod touch is. It looks cool, but not that functional.

Add a case to it, or even a bumper, and it adds a little bulk overall. If it was bulky to begin with...

Coastercub
Jul 6, 2011, 08:34 AM
Surely they can't make it much thinner, I'd rather it was the same thickness and fill the extra space with a little more battery !

Macsavvytech
Jul 6, 2011, 08:35 AM
First thought WOW! I refreshed this page and their were not comments before me...
Second thought i wish i hadn't decided to cost cut on my phone and get a "Australian" HTC, with "Australian" meaning that they are the out of date ones released months ago in the states.

EddyP
Jul 6, 2011, 08:35 AM
Yeah. I just dug out my touch because the screen on my 3GS cracked more. It is quite thin. And it's the old version of the touch.

I'm not too concerned about how thin it is. I'll probably go with a case (me likey grove's bamboo cases).

Interesting this indicated more of a "redesign" then the other article indicates. Who the heck knows.

Either way it will be better then my 3GS.

BallardCharles
Jul 6, 2011, 08:37 AM
We all know that Apple will continue to make the iPhone thinner and lighter, but where is the LTE?

bushido
Jul 6, 2011, 08:38 AM
Gimme, gimme, gimme!

Hopefully they will make enough to include Canada with the US, UK and other countries in the first release this time. The wait last year almost killed me.

they released it in those countries at the same time last year? i got mine in germany the day it was released in the US

bocaboy
Jul 6, 2011, 08:41 AM
I wonder if Apple will consider offering the iPhone 4 at a reduced price, as they did the 3Gs? I think the 4 is a great phone, and would jump at the chance to buy another one for my wife, but at a reduced price.

Northgrove
Jul 6, 2011, 08:42 AM
OK, I hope that "more complicated, hard for us to assemble" doesn't mean that the return rate due to faulty phones will be higher. That certainly doesn't feel like a far fetched problem stemming from these news, and a bit worrying.

Ever since the phone reception issues with the iPhone 4 design, Apple's ferocious hunt for the ultimate design has become a bit worrisome to me. They need to reinforce their reputation for quality, not add new fuel to the QA worries.

Well... Only future will tell. I hope they'll be a hit, and that they will continue surviving the occasional drops to the ground without breaking at the very first incident. Yes, cases exist, but they should not be necessary for daily use if you can live with some scratches. I have dropped my 3GS twice while case-less in the past two years with no issues. Let's hope it stays that way.

Centient
Jul 6, 2011, 08:43 AM
Could be that this new phone is actually the cheaper, off-contract phone we've been hearing about? The one that is supposed to compete with the less expensive Androids out there.

Juan007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can't wait, hope I can preorder an unlocked one. Don't know how they can make it any thinner, they must have spent tens of millions on engineering the thing.

satkin2
Hardly a suprise that if its a new design that Apple will make it thinner and lighter.

The bit that interests me is that if it will be a redesign. I think the iPhone 4 is a thing of beauty and it would really take something special to be asthetically as good. Any features in a smaller phone would by logic probably fit into the iPhone 4 too.

FoxHoundADAM
I wonder if Apple will consider offering the iPhone 4 at a reduced price, as they did the 3Gs? I think the 4 is a great phone, and would jump at the chance to buy another one for my wife.

I'm sure they will but don't expect more than $100 off the current price knowing Apple.

ugahairydawgs
Jul 6, 2011, 08:44 AM
Could be that this new phone is actually the cheaper, off-contract phone we've been hearing about? The one that is supposed to compete with the less expensive Androids out there.

Pretty that is going to be the role of the 8GB 3GS.

The Californian
Jul 6, 2011, 08:45 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

As long as people see it and know I have the latest and greatest without confusing it for last years iteration I'll be happy :rolleyes:

profets
Jul 6, 2011, 08:45 AM
they released it in those countries at the same time last year? i got mine in germany the day it was released in the US

They delayed them to a "July" launch and ended up being on July 30th. Previous years we had the 3G and 3GS launch at same time as the US, but not for the 4.

wvmb
Jul 6, 2011, 08:48 AM
We all know that Apple will continue to make the iPhone thinner and lighter, but where is the LTE?

Apple has to realize that if they do not include LTE, this will give the android sets a big marketing advantage. Perhaps it will be a real advantage for only a relatively few people, but marketing is powerful..... Because of this, I'm thinking that if they do not include it, it will be for a very good reason.

reckless2k2
Jul 6, 2011, 08:49 AM

I have a bigger concern of them back-tracking on size due to LTE. If they go smaller/thinner with iPhone 5, I could see it getting fatter once LTE is implemented. I don't think they will go backwards on size so it's tough to say whether this rumor is true unless "thinner" means tampered edges or something like that.

mrkramer
Jul 6, 2011, 08:50 AM
Personally I don't see the need to make it much thinner, it is thin enough as it is. I guess if they do and I decide to buy it I'll just put a case on it to make it thick enough to actually hold

I wonder if Apple will consider offering the iPhone 4 at a reduced price, as they did the 3Gs? I think the 4 is a great phone, and would jump at the chance to buy another one for my wife, but at a reduced price.

I'm sure they will, probably at a similar price to the 3GS.

iOrlando
Jul 6, 2011, 08:51 AM

Don't worry. iPhone 4 will be sold for a few more years while the price tag continues to fall. The investment required to get iPhone 4 off the guard will only provide better margins for Apple as time goes on and production costs fall.

Zulithe
Jul 6, 2011, 08:53 AM
At what point are they making it so much thinner and lighter that it is at the expense of expanding the device's capability and power? Personally I think they are perfectly thin and light as it is. I would rather have more battery life, more ram, more gpu power, etc.

I was really hoping for a larger screen, but if it is indeed lighter, it doesn't sound like it.

EvilEvil
Jul 6, 2011, 08:55 AM

Hopefully as thin as the latest iPod Touch :D

Cp96alumni
Jul 6, 2011, 08:55 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is already talk about Verizon dropping the price of th 16gb by $50. I would hope Apple will be dropping the price if the unlocked 4 as well.

Lesser Evets
Jul 6, 2011, 08:56 AM
I love the dueling rumors: no major revisions, thinner & lighter, no iPhone, A5 with better camera, etc. I'm pretty sure they are all guessing and talking crap, like us.

FearlessFreep
Jul 6, 2011, 08:56 AM
Any thinness and lightness is probably going to be realized by replacing the back panel glass with a composite, and thinning the front glass as well. Those are by far the most heavy components in the phone so it makes sense that's where they're focusing. My guess is form factor for everything else will stay the same.

andreiru
Jul 6, 2011, 08:57 AM
Marketing geniuses, they are.

Biolizard
Jul 6, 2011, 08:57 AM
Apple has to realize that if they do not include LTE, this will give the android sets a big marketing advantage. Perhaps it will be a real advantage for only a relatively few people, but marketing is powerful..... Because of this, I'm thinking that if they do not include it, it will be for a very good reason.

Most of the world doesn't use LTE, plus there are no LTE chips currently that are efficient. Until these two issues have been addressed, don't expect to see it in an Apple phone. HSPA+ is likely since I think a number of GSM networks across countries have it deployed.

Does that screw over Verizon users? Well yes, but on the global scale they're a minority, and Apple doesn't cater to minorities.

satkin2
Jul 6, 2011, 08:58 AM
It will be interesting to see if LTE is added, I don't know what its like in most of Apples major markets, but its not really here in the UK yet. With other makers, notably for Android adding it in, I'd be suprised if Apple leaves it out, but I don't know how big a selling point it would be for users if it doesn't make a material difference for your usage.

MacHiavelli
Jul 6, 2011, 09:00 AM
Thinner and lighter sounds like an iPhone nano.

andreiru
Jul 6, 2011, 09:00 AM

Is it really? I think their gadgets are constantly setting standards for the others. At least for the past 4 years I have been following the company.

nickdelvecchio
Jul 6, 2011, 09:01 AM

Agreed. I really hope they are working it out and keeping under wraps. if they can pull off the LTE, I think that will sway a lot of people towards them. I'm afraid they won't because of the spotty coverage it has at the moment...

(Steve Jobs please give me LTE. it would help my work productivity ten fold, and it would help me convince more android users to switch!)

even if it doesn't- i'll still go after it. I use my 4 in pretty much any way you can, and upgraded specs/camera is enough for me. (and my wife wants my phone- more justification to get the better one!!!!)

darthraige
Jul 6, 2011, 09:01 AM
No 4G support? No purchase.

swarmster
Jul 6, 2011, 09:02 AM

I'm actually kind of surprised they didn't throw in "oh, and it will be rounded and look like the iPod touch" like they do every year. Come on, rumour-mongers, you're dropping the ball!

Huh? The iPhone is 9.3mm, so I'm guessing you're talking about the Sony Ericsson Xperia arc, which is 8.7mm in the middle and 10mm at the edges? Or maybe the Samsung Galaxy S II, which is 8.49mm and bulges to 9.3mm at the bottom? And this is with phones that are already far wider and taller than the iPhone due to the >4" screens? And they're made of thin plastic and not glass? And it's over a year after the iPhone came out and these phones haven't even fully launched yet?

Apple's engineering is mind-blowing no matter how you cut it.

cozmot
Jul 6, 2011, 09:03 AM
Thinner and lighter I can live without. I want something groundbreaking before shell out hundreds of bucks again in such a short time. Frankly, I like the form factor of the iPhone 4. It's less of a phone than a small computer, so it's just right for me.:D

j_maddison
Jul 6, 2011, 09:05 AM

I just reply with... No it's your arse that makes you look fat :D .... yes I'm single lol

woodbine
Jul 6, 2011, 09:07 AM

doesn't Apple just now own half the LTE patents? You try walking around on one leg...:D

Zimmy68
Jul 6, 2011, 09:07 AM
Please, Apple, Please, hurry up and release this dud and get to work on the next, real phone device with LTE.

I'm pleading.

All the sheep will line up and extend their contract for whatever you crap out in September, and you will make a mint.
Just don't delay the real iPhone 5.

CplBadboy
Jul 6, 2011, 09:10 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can't wait, hope I can preorder an unlocked one. Don't know how they can make it any thinner, they must have spent tens of millions on engineering the thing.

All that money and they couldnt even position the antennae correctly. lets hope theyve actually done some real world testing this time instead of trying to blag us all with a specially designed super test facility.

maclaptop
Jul 6, 2011, 09:12 AM
Add a case to it, or even a bumper, and it adds a little bulk overall. If it was bulky to begin with...

Here we go again. Making up for Apples screw ups.

Hey, no problem you can put a cheap case on it & Presto, like Magic it'll make phone calls.

No problem, put a case on it so it's ergonomic and easy to use.

Buy this & that, re-engineer it so it works,
That's not Apples job, theirs is allowing us the privilege of giving them our money.

Oh, and be sure you sign the contract that promises you will conceal all its faults and send Apple three closed referral sales, OR Apple will confiscate yours.

RichBoi99
Jul 6, 2011, 09:12 AM
it really upsets me that i have a 2 year contract with a year left, & a new iphone is comin out, hope they early upgrade me again. Doesnt surprise me but they shouldve just waited til 2012.
im hoping for it to fool everyone and they come out with a 'prepay' model and not a full fledge iphone, that could be a reason for a late release rather then the standard June/July, cause its not worthy to be released on the Iconic iPhone release bracket, but who am I to be talking smack, im just a wishful thinker.:apple:

Stewie86
Jul 6, 2011, 09:13 AM
Ooh, ooh! *raising hand*

Mock-up time!

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/stoowii/iphone5.png

roocka
Jul 6, 2011, 09:15 AM

Actually, just $10 million. It's called Liquidmetal. Look at your iPhone four from a sideways angle. Look at how thick the glass is. Now imagine instead of having the rear be glass, it is super thin Liquidmetal. Now also imagine the aluminum antenna is also Liquidmetal that is thinner but the same strength. This is how they make the phone thinner.

Caharin
Jul 6, 2011, 09:16 AM

If Apple doesn't include LTE in the next iPhone it will be because the technology hasn't yet matured to the point where it meets Apple's rigorous quality standards. That is the major reason I have an iPhone - I know that whatever features it has will actually work. I'd rather have reliable 3G than 4G that's twice as fast but only 10% of the time, with the other 90% of the time making me wish I didn't buy the phone.

Every time I see the commercial for that stupid 3D phone I want to throw something at the TV.

(To provide some background, I'm a recovering Blackberry Storm user. If you've ever tried to use one of those paperweights, you understand. :) )

Sackvillenb
Jul 6, 2011, 09:20 AM
well... doesn't sound like it will be a "major" revision... but I'm fine with tweaks to the existing concept... and it will make the iphone 4 cheaper!

drew0020
Jul 6, 2011, 09:24 AM
If Apple doesn't include LTE in the next iPhone it will be because the technology hasn't yet matured to the point where it meets Apple's rigorous quality standards. That is the major reason I have an iPhone - I know that whatever features it has will actually work. I'd rather have reliable 3G than 4G that's twice as fast but only 10% of the time, with the other 90% of the time making me wish I didn't buy the phone.

Every time I see the commercial for that stupid 3D phone I want to throw something at the TV.

(To provide some background, I'm a recovering Blackberry Storm user. If you've ever tried to use one of those paperweights, you understand. :) )

Id rather have 4G with the option to turn it off and utilize 3G if I feel like the plauses outweigh the minuses, but your logic makes no sense to me.

And while I love Apple, their rigorous quality stadnards? Not in the last 2-3 years...

Tonewheel
Jul 6, 2011, 09:25 AM
If I had a nickel for every rumor....

Me thinks pricing to upgrade from an iP4 is not going to be a pretty sight. But the blind will jump....

mohrt
Jul 6, 2011, 09:31 AM

which ones?

paul4339
Jul 6, 2011, 09:31 AM
if it were a trade off of having say, iPod-like thin vs additional battery, I think I'd sooner have more battery.

Steve's Barber
Jul 6, 2011, 09:33 AM
I just want my AT&T bill to get thinner and lighter.

Foxconn/Hon Hai is having difficulties with yield rate on the new device due to it being "complicated and difficult to assemble."

That's because they go blind after the first dozen or so...

Dr McKay
Jul 6, 2011, 09:34 AM
I dont want thinner and lighter! The iPhone 4 is fine like it is, keep it the same thickness and weight and put a newer battery in.

What sounds like a better boast for the new iPhone.

2.3mm Thinner & 3g Lighter!

or

40% Longer Battery Life!

nwcs
Jul 6, 2011, 09:35 AM
Actually, just $10 million. It's called Liquidmetal. Look at your iPhone four from a sideways angle. Look at how thick the glass is. Now imagine instead of having the rear be glass, it is super thin Liquidmetal. Now also imagine the aluminum antenna is also Liquidmetal that is thinner but the same strength. This is how they make the phone thinner.

The antenna is stainless steel not aluminum. So probably not going to be replaced with liquidmetal. Although I haven't looked up the properties of LM to see if it would make a good antenna. Replacing the rear with LM may be an option. We'll see.

Sjmarcy
Jul 6, 2011, 09:38 AM
A friend with a 4G android phone needs 3 batteries to make it through his day. The first one is done by noon. The second by quitting time. And the third is for the evening. I should ask how he gets them all charged up.

iPhysicist
Jul 6, 2011, 09:40 AM
Your in for Liquid metal?

- look at those -

http://www.apfel-herz.de/uploads/abilder/Links/Gullideckelhistorisch.jpg

all pure and solid.

Sure its older tech but please don't stress the term "l***** m****".

Btw would a metal backing help to screw up reception once and for all :D so get over it. NO metal backing.

And to all the LTE lovers!? Come one - 2 streets with reliable LTE reception do not make your city "LTE ready".
3G isn't available everywhere yet, not to speak about its theoretical data transfer rates... For LTE you need a lot of 3G towers... so it would be only logical to improve 3G density and data transfer first and then upgrade to LTE. Everything else is just marketing.

jackc
Jul 6, 2011, 09:40 AM
actually, just $10 million. It's called liquidmetal. Look at your iphone four from a sideways angle. Look at how thick the glass is. Now imagine instead of having the rear be glass, it is super thin liquidmetal. Now also imagine the aluminum antenna is also liquidmetal that is thinner but the same strength. This is how they make the phone thinner.

SSDGUY
Jul 6, 2011, 09:41 AM
Doesn't the third quarter end June 30? Do they mean 4th quarter? (July 1 - Sept 30)

buffalo

The problem I see, is that while LTE might not be a big deal now, it will be before not too long. My area does not have (Verizon) LTE now, but it is scheduled to be implemented sometime in 2011. While I can continue using 3G now, I am not going to want to wait until September 2013 to take advantage of LTE (assuming I buy and sign a 2-year contract for iPhone 5).

HelveticaNeue

Yes in Germany and those other countries I listed ... but not in Canada. We had to wait until the end of July.

kalsta
Jul 6, 2011, 09:42 AM
OK, I hope that "more complicated, hard for us to assemble" doesn't mean that the return rate due to faulty phones will be higher. That certainly doesn't feel like a far fetched problem stemming from these news, and a bit worrying.

Ever since the phone reception issues with the iPhone 4 design, Apple's ferocious hunt for the ultimate design has become a bit worrisome to me. They need to reinforce their reputation for quality, not add new fuel to the QA worries.

Well said. Perhaps it's only reasonable to expect two out of the following three:

1. Sexy
2. Functional/Reliable
3. Affordable

Apple traditionally focuses on the first two (or with their mice, only the first one!), but with all the competition in the mobile phone market, one feels they're walking a much finer line now, trying to achieve all three.

nickdelvecchio
Jul 6, 2011, 09:44 AM

Amen.

if I ever see a blackberry storm again I can't say that i won't break it on the spot. save those poor souls from entrapment.

after going from the blackberry storm to the Droid X and finally to the Verizon iPhone- it is such a good feeling to have a reliable phone for all instances rather than some or most. i now use my computer a lot less now that my phone can take the burden and I can rely on it. I would love to have LTE with a backwards compatible CDMA, but i don't absolutely NEED it

msb3079
Jul 6, 2011, 09:45 AM
Any thinness and lightness is probably going to be realized by replacing the back panel glass with a composite, and thinning the front glass as well. Those are by far the most heavy components in the phone so it makes sense that's where they're focusing. My guess is form factor for everything else will stay the same.

The back glass is heavy and thick??? Have you ever taken it off??

Zunjine
Jul 6, 2011, 09:48 AM
Doesn't the third quarter end June 30? Do they mean 4th quarter? (July 1 - Sept 30)

Wouldn't that make Oct-Dec the fifth quarter?

Businesses sometimes have different financial years but I think, when we talk in general terms, the year is the calendar year.

r.j.s
Jul 6, 2011, 09:48 AM
Is thinner and lighter always a good thing?

Having held and talked on both the iPhone 4 and my Evo 4G, I much prefer the heft of the Evo (with extended battery) over the iP4. It feels much more solid, and I don't get the feeling that I might break it at any minute.

techfreak85
Jul 6, 2011, 09:52 AM
I dont want thinner and lighter! The iPhone 4 is fine like it is, keep it the same thickness and weight and put a newer battery in.

What sounds like a better boast for the new iPhone.

2.3mm Thinner & 3g Lighter!

or

40% Longer Battery Life!

This. I have been trying to hold off getting an iPhone 4 the last few months because I know there's a new one coming out. Just hope there is a worthwhile upgrade so I won't be mad at myself for dealing with this crappy android phone for longer than I had to.

superdudeo
Jul 6, 2011, 09:56 AM
I think Apple will be in for a shock if they don't increase screen size. I don't upgrades or new customers will be attracted.

wordoflife
Jul 6, 2011, 09:56 AM

Are you sure it's not "Does this make me look phat? :p

grapefruitx
Jul 6, 2011, 09:59 AM
I have never heard anyone complain that there phone was not thin enough,
"I would buy an iphone but its not thin enough" is not a sentence that has ever been constructed as a serious critique.

"The battery life is pants" that you hear.

Seriously if you really put this device to work, battery life is not up to the job.

Make it thicker give me 3-4 X the endurance, that i will buy.

Lord Appleseed
Jul 6, 2011, 09:59 AM

Jan - March = 1st Q.
April - June = 2nd Q.
July - September 3rd Q.
October - December 4th Q.

Unless you are talking about financial Quarters, which they probably didn't mean here anyway.

Corato
Jul 6, 2011, 10:00 AM
Will definitely be replacing my 3GS ! Now.. who is going to have shared data plan, I have 3 iphones on my plan

iPhonedHome
Jul 6, 2011, 10:02 AM
It doesn't need to be any thinner and lighter. WTF Apple!!!

PUT A BIGGER SCREEN ON THE DAMN THING!

techfreak85
Jul 6, 2011, 10:02 AM
I think Apple will be in for a shock if they don't increase screen size. I don't upgrades or new customers will be attracted.

Really? I don't think this would be a deal breaker feature for most people.

Captainobvvious
Jul 6, 2011, 10:05 AM
Here we go again. Making up for Apples screw ups.

Hey, no problem you can put a cheap case on it & Presto, like Magic it'll make phone calls.

No problem, put a case on it so it's ergonomic and easy to use.

Buy this & that, re-engineer it so it works,
That's not Apples job, theirs is allowing us the privilege of giving them our money.

Oh, and be sure you sign the contract that promises you will conceal all its faults and send Apple three closed referral sales, OR Apple will confiscate yours.

Wow talk about taking a comment out of context.

He is saying that if someone does consider it too thin they have the OPTION to put a case on to add bulk... Not to mention that most people I know use cases on their phones anyway. So if they add a case to a super thin phone then it is a decent thickness compared to adding a case to an already thick phone and you end up with a massive brick.

Too thin is subjective but if YOU think its too thin you have the OPTION to add bulk via a case.

Moyank24
Jul 6, 2011, 10:05 AM
If I had a nickel for every rumor....

Me thinks pricing to upgrade from an iP4 is not going to be a pretty sight. But the blind will jump....

What makes you think the upgrade pricing is going to be any different from the previous 4 phones?

And I prefer the rumor where the phone isn't going to be getting a major design change. The iPhone 4 is by far my favorite design.

OutSpoken
Jul 6, 2011, 10:06 AM
Hardly a suprise that if its a new design that Apple will make it thinner and lighter.

The bit that interests me is that if it will be a redesign. I think the iPhone 4 is a thing of beauty and it would really take something special to be asthetically as good. Any features in a smaller phone would by logic probably fit into the iPhone 4 too.

I agree.

The iPhone 4 is a wonderful piece of design and craftsmanship.. I will be amazed to see them better it, because baring in mind iOS5 I could quite easily go on using it another year until the iPhone 6 or whatever:D

msb3079
Jul 6, 2011, 10:09 AM
I have never heard anyone complain that there phone was not thin enough,
"I would buy an iphone but its not thin enough" is not a sentence that has ever been constructed as a serious critique.

"The battery life is pants" that you hear.

Seriously if you really put this device to work, battery life is not up to the job.

I'm so tired of this. The battery life on the iPhone 4 is one of the best out there.

Certinfy
Jul 6, 2011, 10:10 AM
Where's that mockup of that thinner iPhone 4? That was hot! :D

Madhawk
Jul 6, 2011, 10:14 AM
Thinner and lighter will look like this...

http://1876.voxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/iPhone5_mockup.jpg

James Enright
Jul 6, 2011, 10:16 AM
Does anyone here actually think the next iPhone will have an A5 processor. Look at how much bigger the iPad 2s battery had to be for it to keep the same 10 hour battery life while running the A5. Lots of people here are saying that they would prefer more battery life to lighter thinner. I think that an upgraded A4 with A9 architecture but still single core is in order. With better graphics. It would be very hard to get more battery life and have the A5 chip. It would still be great if the Next iPhone did have an A5.

Captainobvvious
Jul 6, 2011, 10:18 AM
I'm so tired of this. The battery life on the iPhone 4 is one of the best out there.

Yea I have seen a few people lately comment on the iPhone's "terrible battery life"

That comes out of nowhere because as you say the iPhone 4's battery is one of the if not THE best smartphone battery on the market.

Its phenomenal battery life.

Biolizard

That would slip/get knocked out of my hands far too easily.... :(

min_t
Doggone it! There better not be any "production issues". I had to wait till June to find an iPad. I want my new phone before x-mas rolls by. My 3gs won't make it another 6 months.

Captainobvvious
Jul 6, 2011, 10:19 AM

Image (http://1876.voxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/iPhone5_mockup.jpg)

I hope not.

Ugliest thing I have ever seen.

hinchesk
Jul 6, 2011, 10:19 AM
These daily "updates" about what the next iPhone will or won't be are awesome. Can we bump it up to hourly?

tuna
Jul 6, 2011, 10:21 AM
I'm kind of scared by the phone being significantly thinner... does that mean perhaps that it will not get the same dual core CPU and GPU as the iPad 2? Maybe single core variants?

bbplayer5
Jul 6, 2011, 10:22 AM
no LTE is a deal breaker. Apple is behind the times yet again.

D-Dave
Jul 6, 2011, 10:22 AM
Ah crap, if this is true i will have to buy another new car kit which costs me roundabout 160$. They could maybe stick to the exteriour measuremnts for a couple of generations.

And to the thinner and lighter part of the subject... i'd very much prefer more battery and/or more storage space... but that's just me...

ratzzo
Jul 6, 2011, 10:26 AM
These are all pretty valid speculations. After all, it's what's been changing throughout every successive iPhone generation.

However, I think we've reached a point where thickness is just fine. Making it any thinner will probably be ergonomically uncomfortable. I'd much rather keep it at the same thickness level as the iPhone 4 and instead use the new efficient space into implementing upgrades. In essence, I'd rather sacrifice thickness for usability. Not that the iPhone 4 is short on it, but if I were to choose, I'd probably pick, say, better battery life or an added antenna in place of thinner models.

Also, regarding LTE: Verizon has a pretty good 4G network already, so we could see that implemented in the CDMA version. But at least in the US, AT&T's 4G is in its natal state. Perhaps we'll just see HSDPA+. But seeing how premature this network is at the very moment I don't think it'd be that necessary to include LTE on the next version, though some might think otherwise. Pretty sure in a couple of years we'll see a fully implemented LTE chip with normal battery usage anyway.

Not to start a fanboy war here, I am pretty unbiased and think that Apple's goal with iPhone 5 will be to out-do the engineering feat that represents the latest Galaxy S2 smartphone. So we could guess it'll either have very similar or better specs, staying under would be a dangerous move, especially given how Apple is having a wider production time frame seeing how the S2 was launched a month ago. And this is why we will most likely see dual core, 1GB RAM and the aforementioned dimensions shrink.

bbplayer5
Jul 6, 2011, 10:27 AM
Your in for Liquid metal?

- look at those -

Image (http://www.apfel-herz.de/uploads/abilder/Links/Gullideckelhistorisch.jpg)

all pure and solid.

Sure its older tech but please don't stress the term "l***** m****".

Btw would a metal backing help to screw up reception once and for all :D so get over it. NO metal backing.

And to all the LTE lovers!? Come one - 2 streets with reliable LTE reception do not make your city "LTE ready".
3G isn't available everywhere yet, not to speak about its theoretical data transfer rates... For LTE you need a lot of 3G towers... so it would be only logical to improve 3G density and data transfer first and then upgrade to LTE. Everything else is just marketing.

Are you insane? LTE coverage is BOOMING. Keep making excuses for Apple though, even though you make no sense.

Certinfy
Jul 6, 2011, 10:28 AM
http://www.gadgetmac.com/storage/product-images/iPhone%205%20with%20x2%20LED%20flash.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1308816075038

Stewie86
Jul 6, 2011, 10:28 AM

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/stoowii/myeyes.png

AppleScruff1
Jul 6, 2011, 10:31 AM

It won't matter at all. People will buy the iPhone in record numbers even if it didn't work at all. It could be a $600 paperweight and they will line up days ahead of time to buy one.

RawKurd
Jul 6, 2011, 10:33 AM
I actually like the current iphone 4's square look with a glass back.

mr.steevo
Jul 6, 2011, 10:33 AM

Amen.

skinuca
Jul 6, 2011, 10:36 AM
Has anyone seen any reports on who will make the lens for the new phone and/or if it will be an upgrade from the current one?

GooMan
Jul 6, 2011, 10:39 AM
I'll say it again, I hope Apple releases the next iPhone WITHOUT 4G. I know this will absolutely devastate some people in these forums but I would really like to get one more iPhone before being forced into a data plan I don't want. 2 more years of unlimited 3G data with a new iPhone would be really nice.

Sparty23
Jul 6, 2011, 10:46 AM
If you build it, they will come... :idea:

I however, don't care if it doesn't have LTE. Like someone said, if it works only 10% of the time, and 90% of the time it's a phone I want to throw at a baby, then they can have it. A rep at Verizon mentioned to me that Verizon was basically cornered to having LTE because of ATT & Sprint. Also, he mentioned that they're probably a year or two from actually having a decent system. I for one am a big fan of this concept:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UIleXKfb8_w/TYNyC8T2TRI/AAAAAAAAAvw/6EEgf9eUuDQ/s1600/iphone-5-1.jpg

johnnymg
Jul 6, 2011, 10:49 AM
I'll say it again, I hope Apple releases the next iPhone WITHOUT 4G. I know this will absolutely devastate some people in these forums but I would really like to get one more iPhone before being forced into a data plan I don't want. 2 more years of unlimited 3G data with a new iPhone would be really nice.

The general consensus is no 4G until the 'next' (2012) release.

JohnG

deanbar
Jul 6, 2011, 10:50 AM

Well... Only future will tell. I hope they'll be a hit, and that they will continue surviving the occasional drops to the ground without breaking at the very first incident. Yes, cases exist, but they should not be necessary for daily use if you can live with some scratches. I have dropped my 3GS twice while case-less in the past two years with no issues. Let's hope it stays that way.

Having dropped my first mobile out of my pocket years ago, and smashing it, I've always had a case since. The extra friction from a case makes it unlikely to slip out of your pockets, but if you should drop it, the case protects it. Never had a broken one since my first in the late 80's. :)

James Enright
I'm kind of scared by the phone being significantly thinner... does that mean perhaps that it will not get the same dual core CPU and GPU as the iPad 2? Maybe single core variants?

THats exactly what I think will happen in order for Apple to manage better battery life.

ratzzo
Has anyone seen any reports on who will make the lens for the new phone and/or if it will be an upgrade from the current one?

Sony from what I've read, but this is all speculation. And everything points to an upgraded version indeed. (8MP)

*LTD*
Jul 6, 2011, 10:54 AM

I've always liked that.

ratzzo
Jul 6, 2011, 10:54 AM
THats exactly what I think will happen in order for Apple to manage better battery life.

Apple would be taking a very dangerous approach if they did not include a dual core CPU in their hardware. Most people don't even know what the real difference is to a single core smartphone, but even these individuals will always choose dual core over single core. So, not only is it a significant upgrade, but it also sells. And all other competitors in the market have taken the dual core road. Apple not adjusting would seem like a crazy idea, so it is highly expected of them to include the A5 on the next iPhone... 5. While the CPU itself may vary from the iPad version, we will surely be able to experience the dual core A5 on the next gen iPhone. Every iPhone release has included battery life improvements, and I doubt this one will be the exception. A dual core processor does not necessarily mean a battery life downgrade, it just means it packs more efficiency. Both cores are controlled by iOS so ultimately it is the OS the one which saves battery by controlling the CPU's usage.

skinuca
Jul 6, 2011, 10:56 AM
Yes, i have read that all the reports of a new 8MP sensor, but can't recall reading much of late on the lens. I would like to see it upgraded too, else i believe the 8MP will be of little value.

bbplayer5
Jul 6, 2011, 10:57 AM
If you build it, they will come... :idea:

I however, don't care if it doesn't have LTE. Like someone said, if it works only 10% of the time, and 90% of the time it's a phone I want to throw at a baby, then they can have it. A rep at Verizon mentioned to me that Verizon was basically cornered to having LTE because of ATT & Sprint. Also, he mentioned that they're probably a year or two from actually having a decent system. I for one am a big fan of this concept:

Image (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UIleXKfb8_w/TYNyC8T2TRI/AAAAAAAAAvw/6EEgf9eUuDQ/s1600/iphone-5-1.jpg)

Goes to show you have no idea what you are talking about. I have had LTE for months now, and its been flawless minus the one outage in its first few weeks. Regularly get 25mb down, 5 up... But again, keep making excuses for Apple.

bbplayer5
Jul 6, 2011, 10:59 AM

If you are on Verizon, you are grandfathered in and will never lose your unlimited data... so again, moot point. AT&T on the other hand might not let you grandfather because its AT&T.

croooow
Jul 6, 2011, 10:59 AM
Surely they can't make it much thinner, I'd rather it was the same thickness and fill the extra space with a little more battery !

Exactly! The iPhone 4 is already very thin, Apple should keep the dimensions and just make the battery bigger. I have never heard anyone complain that their iPhone is too thick, but I'm sure everyone would love longer battery life.:apple:

James Enright
Jul 6, 2011, 11:02 AM
Apple would be taking a very dangerous approach if they did not include a dual core CPU in their hardware. Most people don't even know what the real difference is to a single core smartphone, but even these individuals will always choose dual core over single core. So, not only is it a significant upgrade, but it also sells. And all other competitors in the market have taken the dual core road. Apple not adjusting would seem like a crazy idea, so it is highly expected of them to include the A5 on the next iPhone... 5. While the CPU itself may vary from the iPad version, we will surely be able to experience the dual core A5 on the next gen iPhone.

Ok, so I agree that people who don't know the difference between a single and dual core will always buy the dual core, there are also a lot of people who will buy the iPhone because its a fashion statement, NYC is full of those people. A lot of people will buy the iPhone because of the amount of apps available etc..... Where I disagree is that all the iPhones competitors have gone the dual core route. There are still a lot of new smart phones with single core CPUs.Also the ones that are dual core, are they really a success. Battery life and heat are 2 of theres downfalls (like LTE).

rhinosrcool
Jul 6, 2011, 11:04 AM
I love the dueling rumors: no major revisions, thinner & lighter, no iPhone, A5 with better camera, etc. I'm pretty sure they are all guessing and talking crap, like us.

That's why this site is genius; it perpetuates without getting old.

It doesn't need to be any thinner and lighter. WTF Apple!!!

PUT A BIGGER SCREEN ON THE DAMN THING!

Yes!

Is Steve modeling products to emulate himself? (FYI-I am optimistic on his return)

msb3079
Ah crap, if this is true i will have to buy another new car kit which costs me roundabout 160$. They could maybe stick to the exteriour measuremnts for a couple of generations.

And to the thinner and lighter part of the subject... i'd very much prefer more battery and/or more storage space... but that's just me...

Buying a "car-kit" is scary enough... but $160??? eeeeeee.....

Jimrod
It will be thinner with a chamfered rear like the iPad 2, notice how that progressed from the iPad1? Will be the same for the iPhone 5 - Apple like design consistency. The squared rear has been largely criticised for not feeling good in the hand though the looks are certainly good, this is the most likely change, perhaps with a larger edge to edge screen. Other changes will be internal.

I will be more surprised if I'm wrong than if I'm right, it just seems the logical direction they will take, if not on the iPhone 5 then definitely on the 6.

lilcosco08
Jul 6, 2011, 11:06 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

This is getting rediculous, apple. It's thin enough

Compile 'em all
Jul 6, 2011, 11:12 AM
Does anyone here actually think the next iPhone will have an A5 processor. Look at how much bigger the iPad 2s battery had to be for it to keep the same 10 hour battery life while running the A5. Lots of people here are saying that they would prefer more battery life to lighter thinner. I think that an upgraded A4 with A9 architecture but still single core is in order. With better graphics. It would be very hard to get more battery life and have the A5 chip. It would still be great if the Next iPhone did have an A5.

The iPad's screen is a lot bigger than the iPhone. The bigger battery is needed.

GooMan
Jul 6, 2011, 11:13 AM
If you are on Verizon, you are grandfathered in and will never lose your unlimited data... so again, moot point. AT&T on the other hand might not let you grandfather because its AT&T.

I wasn't aware you could keep unlimited data for the same price when you purchase a 4G phone. I don't have any desire for 4G data so I haven't really looked at the plan details. I just remember AT&T forcing people into 3G data plans (that were more expensive) when the iPhone 3G was released. I'm not a Verizon customer and never plan to be so I'm mainly interested in what AT&T does.

DiamondMac
Jul 6, 2011, 11:14 AM
Yea I have seen a few people lately comment on the iPhone's "terrible battery life"

That comes out of nowhere because as you say the iPhone 4's battery is one of the if not THE best smartphone battery on the market.

Its phenomenal battery life.

I don't doubt the battery is a fantastic one that other companies wish they could have life-wise.

But for many (as evidence by the number on this forum who complain about it), it is not that great. I had a recent iPhone where the battery life was embarrassing EVEN WHEN I rarely used it. Now, I got a new one and it improved. But others seem to have the same issues.

GooMan
Jul 6, 2011, 11:15 AM
I for one am a big fan of this concept:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UIleXKfb8_w/TYNyC8T2TRI/AAAAAAAAAvw/6EEgf9eUuDQ/s1600/iphone-5-1.jpg

I love that design but I would want a black one.

djrod
Jul 6, 2011, 11:17 AM
The next iPhone is going to look like a MacBook Air, thick at the upper side and thinner at the bottom

msb3079
Jul 6, 2011, 11:22 AM
I disagree with those that say it's thin enough. It's thin, relatively speaking, but there's still a lot of progress to be made. My theoretical ideal "thinness" at this time... the depth of the metal band on the iPhone 4. Almost as if the glass sunk in, instead of sat on top. Maybe if the glass protruded SLIGHTLY from the top and bottom. About 1/4th of what it does currently.

korndawg
Jul 6, 2011, 11:24 AM
I'm in agreenment that the Iphone 4 is thin enuff. Id take a lil bigger battery over shaving off a few mm's of the thickness of the phone.
I love this mockup. It looks much more comforable to hold:

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/iphone-5.jpeg?w=670&h=556

http://www.designedbyitem.com/phones_files/collage_lb_image_page0_9_1.png

MattG
Jul 6, 2011, 11:25 AM

Agreed. I don't understand everyone's obsession with thin, and to some extent lightweight. Too thin and too light just make it difficult to use. I think the iPhone 4 gets it just about right.

JGowan
Jul 6, 2011, 11:27 AM
... sources indicate that the new device will be "thinner and lighter" and that Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn/Hon Hai is having difficulties with yield rate on the new device due to it being "complicated and difficult to assemble."I don't buy this. You don't make things thinner until your device maker can actually make them and not slow down production. I believe it's so that people will do whatever it takes to get one early, insuring them having it. They're simply turning the lust-factor on in people's minds. Things are always "limited". The iPad has actually been limited IF you care about what you get as there are EIGHTEEN choices that can be made.

alexexexex
Jul 6, 2011, 11:29 AM
Are you insane? LTE coverage is BOOMING. Keep making excuses for Apple though, even though you make no sense.

If they do make an LTE iPhone this year they'd have to make a non-LTE for much of the rest of the world.

Why spend money on LTE chips for countries that don't have it yet

Hell in the UK the government auction for the LTE radio spectrum isn't until mid/late 2012 and the winning carriers will then have to roll out the tower upgrades etc.

Bottom line is Apple hates fragmentation so i think a US-iPhone and seperate ROTW-iPhone is highly unlikely.

Sparty23
Jul 6, 2011, 11:33 AM
Goes to show you have no idea what you are talking about. I have had LTE for months now, and its been flawless minus the one outage in its first few weeks. Regularly get 25mb down, 5 up... But again, keep making excuses for Apple.

Oh man, just because you have it must be the same for all!!!!!!11!!!!

Please. :rolleyes:

chrmjenkins
Jul 6, 2011, 11:33 AM

AT&T's coverage isn't even live yet and Apple has specifically said that they aren't willing to make the design compromises LTE demands right now (they said this at the verizon event). There is a 28nm lower power LTE radio coming from Qualcomm that they could use, but that won't be available in volume until next year. Thus, it's highly unrealistic to expect LTE now. They'll launch next year when Verizon's network is more mature and reaches a lot of people and AT&T's has had some time to get off the ground and get good press for a few months before iPhone users slam it.

alexexexex
Jul 6, 2011, 11:34 AM
I'm in agreenment that the Iphone 4 is thin enuff. Id take a lil bigger battery over shaving off a few mm's of the thickness of the phone.

Image (http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/iphone-5.jpeg?w=670&h=556)

Image (http://www.designedbyitem.com/phones_files/collage_lb_image_page0_9_1.png)

This is gorgeous. Indicator LED, ergonomic, i really hope this is close.

skinuca
Jul 6, 2011, 11:36 AM
care more about better battery life and better lens than an ever thiner phone. It is not like a marginally thinner phone will let it be carried anywhere or used in a manner the current one can not be.

tigress666
Jul 6, 2011, 11:36 AM

I concur. Even though I won't be getting a new iphone until next year (unless I get a better job and they increase the storage space on the new iphone).

It probably won't benefit me but it's an option to get at least a newer one than the 4 that I won't have to get a tiered data plan when I can afford a new iphone (I totally wouldn't be surprised if AT&T says to get the new iphone that gets 4G you have to change to the new limited 4G plans).

I mean if by next year they put out the 2012 iphone and it is 4G (if it is) I can at least have the decision to see if it is worth losing my unlimited or if I can just update to a 2011 iphone instead.

diamond.g
Jul 6, 2011, 11:47 AM
Most of the world doesn't use LTE, plus there are no LTE chips currently that are efficient. Until these two issues have been addressed, don't expect to see it in an Apple phone. HSPA+ is likely since I think a number of GSM networks across countries have it deployed.

Does that screw over Verizon users? Well yes, but on the global scale they're a minority, and Apple doesn't cater to minorities.

Sure they do. The whole Mac userbase is a minority.

ArtOfWarfare
Jul 6, 2011, 11:51 AM

If this is the phone meant to replace the iPhone 4, that will absolutely not happen. Apple may launch a separate product line, but they will have something to replace and improve upon the iPhone 4.

baryon
Thinner is better, but I think that reducing the top and bottom bezel is even more important. Imagine a device that is the size of the iPhone's screen, no bigger. I'm sure they can figure that out.

The reason I don't have a smartphone is because they're huge (okay, and expensive). I like my tiny Nokia 5310 that fit anywhere and don't weigh down my pocket.

Now if the iPhone could get smaller without making the screen smaller, that would be perfect.

radge
The battery life is great on the ip4. Even with some pretty heavy use (6 hours use, 13 hours standby) I've never had it die on me. Keep it the same thickness, but a contoured back, similar to the 3G/3Gs I think would be a great improvement.

Rodimus Prime
Jul 6, 2011, 11:52 AM
I might be among the few here but I do not think they should really go much thinner because the phones out there are kind of reaching a limit in being usable thickness and going thinner would just make it annoying. I find the iPod touch is currently a little on the thin side and wish it was a little thicker.

The first iPhone did not have 3G and that did little damage. Problem with LTE in its current form is it sucks down power very quickly and kills batteries very fast. It is still a first gen tech in cell phones.

Besides the iPhone will be fake G on AT&T. Verizon will be 3G and AT&T will be fake G.

radge
Jul 6, 2011, 11:53 AM
Thinner is better, but I think that reducing the top and bottom bezel is even more important. Imagine a device that is the size of the iPhone's screen, no bigger. I'm sure they can figure that out.

The reason I don't have a smartphone is because they're huge (okay, and expensive). I like my tiny Nokia 5310 that fit anywhere and don't weigh down my pocket.

Now if the iPhone could get smaller without making the screen smaller, that would be perfect.

your signature makes me laugh every time I see it. I occasionally add that in on the end of emails I send from my gmail account to throw people off. :p

2IS
Jul 6, 2011, 11:54 AM

Name 3

I'd much rather have them keep the same thickness and use the space for a larger capacity battery.

skinuca
Jul 6, 2011, 11:57 AM
Name 3

I'd much rather have them keep the same thickness and use the space for a larger capacity battery.

Without a doubt, my preference as well.

ThomasJL
Jul 6, 2011, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't mind if the iPhone 5 was twice as thick as the iPhone 4 if that meant:

1) LTE (that could be switched on or off) implemented with something similar to a Qualcomm Gobi chip that worked with every CDMA, GSM, and 3G frequency everywhere in the world (such a chip actually does exist).

2) Much longer battery life when in 3G mode, and battery life similar to the iPhone 4 when in LTE mode.

3) Standard-size SIM card (aka "mini-SIM," which is the global standard that the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS used) instead of the inconvenient micro-SIM that the iPhone 4 uses. This would make things much easier for people who buy a factory unlocked iPhone 5 and travel internationally.

Moonjumper
Jul 6, 2011, 12:01 PM
As some have already said in this thread, replace the glass back with a composite or liquid metal back and you have a thinner phone without losing any component space. It will also be more robust, so I hope they do that as a minimum.

A thinner phone in other ways could be more comfortable. The problem with the iPhone 4 is the stainless steel band that you hold only covers part of the depth of the phone and has edges that are too angular.

What I would like to see:

Thinner glass to the front (something they did on the iPad 2) with the metal band (changed to liquid metal) extending forwards around the edges of the glass to protect it. A liquid metal back. Edges rounded off for comfort.

datahoover
Jul 6, 2011, 12:02 PM
If Apple insist on making everything thinner and thinner, then I insist they make the new iPhone out of ginger snap or some other form of biscuit. Perfect for the businessman on the go…

likegadgets
Jul 6, 2011, 12:02 PM
Just hope unlocked is sold in US from day 1.

louis Fashion
Jul 6, 2011, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=Biolizard;12887493 Apple doesn't cater to minorities.[/QUOTE]

Right on, I hardly ever see my brothers at the APPL store!! What's up with that?

RalfTheDog
Jul 6, 2011, 12:04 PM
I for one welcome our new iPhone Gellete overlords Just remember to use the special iShavingcream.

doesn't Apple just now own half the LTE patents? You try walking around on one leg...:D

Apple does not have the patents on the current LTE, they have the patents on the next generation that will actually be fast.

All that money and they couldnt even position the antennae correctly. lets hope theyve actually done some real world testing this time instead of trying to blag us all with a specially designed super test facility.

My iP4 gets better reception than most of my friends Android based phones. the antenna issue was much overblown.

Id rather have 4G with the option to turn it off and utilize 3G if I feel like the plauses outweigh the minuses, but your logic makes no sense to me.

And while I love Apple, their rigorous quality stadnards? Not in the last 2-3 years...

HSPA+ is 4G. It runs about the same speed as the current generation of LTE. (It has a bit faster download and a bit slower upload.) HSPA+ also has better battery life. Why would you want to trash your phones battery for no better performance?

4G service will be cheaper to implement as it will use RF more efficiently. I am hoping they will charge less for 4G just to get rid of the congestion.

And you will get about the same performance if not better from HSPA+ with better battery life.

AQUADock
Jul 6, 2011, 12:05 PM
you want thinner? you want lighter?
http://i51.tinypic.com/e1e0pk.png
The new iPhone 5

Image (http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/iphone-5.jpeg?w=670&h=556)

Image (http://www.designedbyitem.com/phones_files/collage_lb_image_page0_9_1.png)
Now that is what i call a mockup

louis Fashion
Jul 6, 2011, 12:09 PM
"Two of the people, however, cautioned that shipments of the new iPhone could be delayed if Hon Hai can't improve its yield rate as the new iPhone is "complicated and difficult to assemble."

Oh what a surprise!!!

ombrenelcielo
Jul 6, 2011, 12:16 PM
Nokia N9 is the new black.

GooMan
Jul 6, 2011, 12:20 PM
4G service will be cheaper to implement as it will use RF more efficiently. I am hoping they will charge less for 4G just to get rid of the congestion.

You go right ahead and keep hoping. :(

C.Calthrop
Jul 6, 2011, 12:21 PM
Isn't it time to design iPhones for automated assembly by robots?

RalfTheDog
Jul 6, 2011, 12:24 PM
You go right ahead and keep hoping. :(

Sprint did it. Why not ATT?

Tunster
Jul 6, 2011, 12:28 PM

2012 iPhone with NFC. Why rush something out to market when most of America and Europe won't have LTE until 2012?

BuzzMega
I was just sayin' to the missuz;

"Dang if this iFone isn't to g'dash fat and heavy. Whadda they think I'm made of: Space and muscle? Can you help me move it into the next room, hun?"

Now the next one will be a third as thick and weigh just an ounce. H'ray.

cvaldes
Right on, I hardly ever see my brothers at the APPL store!! What's up with that?
What does the stock symbol for Appell Petroleum Corporation have to do with this discussion?

:p

MarkNY
Jul 6, 2011, 12:29 PM
I'd like the glass to be more scratch-resistant. I hate cases, and it's hard to avoid scratches. I'd like a bigger screen, but the mock-ups with an edge-to-edge screen don't look right. Obviously, it will get the A5 -- more speed is always better. I don't care about LTE/4g.

I wonder when camera phones will have true optical zoom? That would be nice.

maclaptop
Jul 6, 2011, 12:34 PM
I'd like a bigger screen, but the mock-ups with an edge-to-edge screen don't look right.
I agree, they look like a desperate convoluted design created to save Apple money, knowing the fan boys will never complain no matter how ugly, or cheap they look.

JetBlack7
Jul 6, 2011, 12:37 PM
"Lighter and Thinner"? Really?

One of these days the phone will look like a credit card and a blow from the wind, there goes the phone flying off from your hands, and it only costed 600$!

840quadra
Jul 6, 2011, 12:40 PM
Seeing as it took me until the iPhone 4 to actually buy an iPhone, I think I will hold onto it until we get true 4G (LTE-Advanced). I am really not a fan of the concepts that look like they are based on an iPod Touch, with regards to thickness, rounded metal backs and other design cues.

But as always, Design taste is a personal preference.

RalfTheDog
Jul 6, 2011, 12:41 PM

That would be cool, but I can't see it happening. They would need to make the phone thicker for the lens. On the other hand, I would take better optics over more pixels any day.

skinuca
Jul 6, 2011, 12:49 PM
That would be cool, but I can't see it happening. They would need to make the phone thicker for the lens. On the other hand, I would take better optics over more pixels any day.

absolutely. To me the main problem with going thiner, is they have to compromise on the lens. I understand it is a phone and not a camera. Sure i have other cameras with great lenses but always having the phone in hand makes it the camera i use most frequently and spontaneously.

dr Dunkel
Jul 6, 2011, 01:07 PM
LTE should absolutely be there. Sweden has been ready since 2009 :D

http://www.telegeography.com/products/commsupdate/articles/2009/12/14/teliasonera-launches-worlds-first-commercial-lte-networks-in-sweden-and-norway/

http://www.telecompaper.com/news/ericsson-demonstrates-lte-advanced-in-sweden

SuperCachetes
Jul 6, 2011, 01:08 PM
The back glass is heavy and thick??? Have you ever taken it off??

It's all relative, and we are dealing with something so light to begin with, all you can take away from individual components are fractions of grams.

Glass, by volume, is real heavy compared to a lot of things phones can be made from.

RalfTheDog
Jul 6, 2011, 01:15 PM
LTE should absolutely be there. Sweden has been ready since 2009 :D

http://www.telegeography.com/products/commsupdate/articles/2009/12/14/teliasonera-launches-worlds-first-commercial-lte-networks-in-sweden-and-norway/

http://www.telecompaper.com/news/ericsson-demonstrates-lte-advanced-in-sweden

You are assuming the current LTE is better than HSPA+. It is not.

marksman
Jul 6, 2011, 01:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lol no it's not. Learn to read spec sheets.

chrmjenkins
Jul 6, 2011, 01:24 PM
You are assuming the current LTE is better than HSPA+. It is not.

Really?

Advantages of LTE over HSPA+

Flexible Spectrum usage possible with LTE: LTE will be the same whether the bandwidth available is 5MHz or 20MHz. Ofcourse the data rate will increase when the BW is increased. With HSPA+ only 5MHz bandwidhts possible. Similalrly with HSPA+ only FDD mode of operation is possible whereas with LTE FDD or TDD mode is possible.
Spectrum Effeciency: Better spectrum effeciency, by a factor of 2 atleast over HSPA+
Simpler Architecture: LTE has a much simpler and relatively flat architecture compared to the legacy UMTS network in HSPA+
Higher Data Rates: LTE gives DL data rates of 144Mbps and UL of 57Mbps. HSPA+ gives 42Mbps in DL and 11Mbps in UL
Ultra Low Latency: 10ms instead of 50ms for HSPA+
Short TTI: 0.5ms instead of 2ms for HSPA+

(my own addendum: LTE also functions in the 700 MHz spectrum, which means it has better building penetration).

Advantages of HSPA+ over LTE

Will be ready much before LTE: HSPA+ technology should be available in Q1 2009 whereas the earliest with LTE would be sometime in 2010.
Much less investment in infrastructure: Since HSPA+ is evolution of HSPA which is already being deployed, it would be easier and less costly to upgrade. With LTE since its based on OFDM a lot of new components will be required. Also in case of LTE the number of components are reduced but since they work in a different way, new components will be required.

http://3g4g.blogspot.com/2008/01/comparison-hspa-vs-lte.html

Both of which are moot since LTE is ready and deployed in Verizon's case, imminent for AT&T.

ArmCortexA8
Jul 6, 2011, 01:25 PM
Hi all

Well I can almost guarantee the next iPhone will have the A5 processor, as Apple have never had an A4 in one device and an A5 in another device, they are always concurrent to prevent fragmentation. I think the iPhone will have a screen to the bezel, and hopefully either have an aluminium back and use gorilla glass on the front, or if they stick to the glass back use gorilla glass on back and front.

Capacity may increase to 64GB depending on how small they can get the Toshiba / Samsung NAND modules with this capacity, as this is partly why the iPhone 4 only goes up to 32GB as with its "then standard" NAND module size, there was not enough room to put my storage in. 4" display, 8MP camera (wish they would use Carl Zeiss lens), flash and camera separated (corner each) and I have heard the LED light will be used for notification.

Make the home button flat, and maybe touch sensitive - I would even make it backlit for notifications / night time use. I also hope to god they have learnt from their "yellowing" screens issues with LG displays, unlike the Sharp displays which had no issues. Add even a solar panel on the back for charging via daylight if required.

grapefruitx
Jul 6, 2011, 01:31 PM
That being the case, i will trade my 3GS fro a 4 when the 5 comes out, my company BB is brilliant in this regard. 3GS stinks,

ALUOp
Jul 6, 2011, 01:36 PM
Thinness and weight are OK; I just want a bigger screen, at lesast 4"!

fxtech
Jul 6, 2011, 01:40 PM

I'm guessing Steve really likes Zoolander:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1333/856357878_3b39728b22.jpg

cvaldes
Jul 6, 2011, 01:41 PM
True optical zoom lenses are much more complex and require many more lens elements.

There are concessions to be made in image quality, lens flare, weight, size, cost, and light sensitivity due to the increase of air-glass surfaces.

High-quality zoom lens designs are achievable at the price of cost and size. Smaller, cheaper zoom lens designs typically have slower f-stops, meaning poorer low light performance and less depth-of-field. It's the poorer low light performance that's a bigger issue with cameraphone, largely because of video recording (the shutter speed is basically 1/60 sec.).

My guess is that these any available true optical zoom lens modules are still too bulky for cameraphones, otherwise some manufacturers would be using them regardless of crummy optical performance.

msb3079
Jul 6, 2011, 01:46 PM
It's all relative, and we are dealing with something so light to begin with, all you can take away from individual components are fractions of grams.

Glass, by volume, is real heavy compared to a lot of things phones can be made from.

But the glass is one of the thinnest and lightest parts of this phone...

manyax111
Jul 6, 2011, 01:48 PM
really they should stop to make it thinner, that ruins the battery life...

nickdelvecchio
Jul 6, 2011, 01:51 PM
Steve is probably dieing from all of the dust and moon rocks being used to make the apple devices and he realizes that. he does not have a successor and needs to figure out how he is going to run his company.

The reason they are delaying the iPhone is because they are working on putting Steve's personality into iOS5. and if he dies to soon they are going to force his assistants personality to be put into it. this is the reason for the acquiring NUVI and other companies like that. hopefully she wont go crazy and start killing off all the engineers.

I just want definitive answers on what iPhone 5 is going to have. I know this next one is going to be a good product; I'm ready for an answer. these conflicting rumors are just starting to get annoying.

RalfTheDog
Jul 6, 2011, 02:02 PM
Really?

Advantages of LTE over HSPA+

Flexible Spectrum usage possible with LTE: LTE will be the same whether the bandwidth available is 5MHz or 20MHz. Ofcourse the data rate will increase when the BW is increased. With HSPA+ only 5MHz bandwidhts possible. Similalrly with HSPA+ only FDD mode of operation is possible whereas with LTE FDD or TDD mode is possible.
Spectrum Effeciency: Better spectrum effeciency, by a factor of 2 atleast over HSPA+
Simpler Architecture: LTE has a much simpler and relatively flat architecture compared to the legacy UMTS network in HSPA+
Higher Data Rates: LTE gives DL data rates of 144Mbps and UL of 57Mbps. HSPA+ gives 42Mbps in DL and 11Mbps in UL
Ultra Low Latency: 10ms instead of 50ms for HSPA+
Short TTI: 0.5ms instead of 2ms for HSPA+

(my own addendum: LTE also functions in the 700 MHz spectrum, which means it has better building penetration).

Advantages of HSPA+ over LTE

Will be ready much before LTE: HSPA+ technology should be available in Q1 2009 whereas the earliest with LTE would be sometime in 2010.
Much less investment in infrastructure: Since HSPA+ is evolution of HSPA which is already being deployed, it would be easier and less costly to upgrade. With LTE since its based on OFDM a lot of new components will be required. Also in case of LTE the number of components are reduced but since they work in a different way, new components will be required.

http://3g4g.blogspot.com/2008/01/comparison-hspa-vs-lte.html

Both of which are moot since LTE is ready and deployed in Verizon's case, imminent for AT&T.

Real world performance, HSPA+ is slightly faster than the current generation of LTE. Long term, LTE will be faster than HSPA+ Current LTE phones will not support the more advanced forms of LTE.

Current generation HSPA+ chips use less power (Next generation LTE should drink fewer electrons, but they are not out yet.) Every HSPA tower can be upgraded to HSPA+ with nothing more than a software upgrade (To get full speed, you will need to update the backhaul for both standards.)

If you look at the phones that will be released in two years, LTE will be better. Today, HSPA+ is the preferred choice.

ajohnson253
Jul 6, 2011, 02:04 PM

Lmao

winston1236
Jul 6, 2011, 02:12 PM

isnt that the role of the 3GS at them moment minus the off contract

SuperCachetes
Jul 6, 2011, 02:15 PM
But the glass is one of the thinnest and lightest parts of this phone...

But but but... It's still relative, it's still fractions of a gram, it's still a heavy material, and it could still be lighter.

chrmjenkins
Jul 6, 2011, 02:15 PM
Real world performance, HSPA+ is slightly faster than the current generation of LTE.

It all depends on locality. I've seen LTE be faster, WiMax be faster and HSPA+ be faster (but never AT&T's, only T-mobiles).

Long term, LTE will be faster than HSPA+ Current LTE phones will not support the more advanced forms of LTE.

Nor should anyone expect them to, as LTE advanced is years out.

Current generation HSPA+ chips use less power (Next generation LTE should drink fewer electrons, but they are not out yet.) Every HSPA tower can be upgraded to HSPA+ with nothing more than a software upgrade (To get full speed, you will need to update the backhaul for both standards.)

Doesn't change the fact that HSPA+ is a dead-end. Why delay upgrading your towers for LTE when it's clearly the future?

If you look at the phones that will be released in two years, LTE will be better. Today, HSPA+ is the preferred choice.

I've seen no clear consensus on that. For instance, HSPA+ here in Los Angeles is no better than any other 3G variants. I never see speeds on my inspire 4g higher than what I did with my iphone 4.

MacTheSpoon
Jul 6, 2011, 02:19 PM
Thinner, I don't care, but lighter would be awesome!! That's a big reason why I switched to Android, because Samsung made lighter phones. That would make me really tempted to switch back. However, I agree with other posters: they really need to make this thing LTE...

Glideslope
Jul 6, 2011, 02:22 PM
Liquid Metal, Liquid Metal, Liquid Metal.

Aluminum Hybrid. ;)

steadysignal
Jul 6, 2011, 02:22 PM

you didn't get used to the thinness? i had the same issue as you but got used to it...

Glideslope
Jul 6, 2011, 02:25 PM
Thinner, I don't care, but lighter would be awesome!! That's a big reason why I switched to Android, because Samsung made lighter phones. That would make me really tempted to switch back. However, I agree with other posters: they really need to make this thing LTE...

Then you will be disappointed. HSPA+, and CDMA. 4G ain't ready for the masses. Needs another year. Like Sept 2012.

RalfTheDog
Jul 6, 2011, 02:32 PM
Doesn't change the fact that HSPA+ is a dead-end. Why delay upgrading your towers for LTE when it's clearly the future?

LTE as implemented today is just as much a dead end. It is just a dead end that sucks many more electrons.

I've seen no clear consensus on that. For instance, HSPA+ here in Los Angeles is no better than any other 3G variants. I never see speeds on my inspire 4g higher than what I did with my iphone 4.

You may be looking at a place where they have upgraded to the HSPA+ software, but not the backhaul. The software upgrade is easy. Giving the tower the bandwidth to use it requires upgrading the infrastructure. The same upgrade that would be required for LTE.

firewood
Jul 6, 2011, 02:33 PM

If you think a device is too thin for you, put a bumper or other case on it that's big enough to make it comfortable enough for you to hold

Can't do that if a phone is already too thick.

And if a phone is exactly the right size, then any protective case will make it too big. So a bit on the thin side gives users more choices to customize it to their liking.

RalfTheDog
Jul 6, 2011, 02:38 PM
I am looking forward to the upgrade, if for no other reason, I want to pull Lojack, (The cell phone I have wired into my car electronics to play music and find my car) out and put in my iP4 with it's bigger battery. Phone of the Dog lasts longer, so I can check on my car when I am out of town.

If you think a device is too thin for you, put a bumper or other case on it that's big enough to make it comfortable enough for you to hold

Can't do that if a phone is already too thick.

And if a phone is exactly the right size, then any protective case will make it too big. So a bit on the thin side gives users more choices to customize it to their liking.

Perhaps a case that is also a big battery.

chrmjenkins
Jul 6, 2011, 02:38 PM
LTE as implemented today is just as much a dead end. It is just a dead end that sucks many more electrons.

No, because the deployment of LTE technology for towers serves as structure for future LTE upgrades. This is not the case for HSPA+. Talking dead-end for the consumer is kind of pointless since consumer devices usually only last 1-2 years.

You may be looking at a place where they have upgraded to the HSPA+ software, but not the backhaul. The software upgrade is easy. Giving the tower the bandwidth to use it requires upgrading the infrastructure. The same upgrade that would be required for LTE.

That's my point. If current HSPA+ implementations don't have the backhaul to support them, it doesn't have a clear advantage over LTE.

winston1236
Jul 6, 2011, 02:47 PM
so many 4 owners on here that cant stand the next one is coming out and they will have the "old" one because of their two year contract

absynth
Jul 6, 2011, 02:57 PM
the only reason the galaxy s II is so thin is because they can spread out the parts over a larger area because of the big screen.

batteries arent magically gonna become that much better in a year so the only way they can make the iphone 5 noticably thinner is by making it bigger like the s II.
besides that i also expect its back to be curved towards the edges like the current ipod touch and ipad 2 to make it even more svelte. my money would be on liquidmetal to make it lighter and not have it interfere with reception.

i think all the rumors about "almost identical" phone might stem from an iphone 4s that's slightly faster, and made more affordable (less storage, maybe no front cam?)

chrmjenkins
Jul 6, 2011, 02:58 PM
so many 4 owners on here that cant stand the next one is coming out and they will have the "old" one because of their two year contract

Actually, AT&T often moves upgrade dates up, and given that the span will be 14 months rather than 12 this time, many iphone 4 launch purchasers will likely be able to upgrade immediately if not before Christmas.

Even if they couldn't, iPhone resale value is high enough to where their iphone 4 could finance most of the early upgrade cost for an iphone 5.

RalfTheDog
Jul 6, 2011, 02:58 PM
No, because the deployment of LTE technology for towers serves as structure for future LTE upgrades. This is not the case for HSPA+. Talking dead-end for the consumer is kind of pointless since consumer devices usually only last 1-2 years.

The backhaul upgrade for HSPA+ is the same backhaul upgrade for LTE. Much of the LTE hardware may need to be ripped out for the next version of LTE. The only part of the HSPA+ upgrade that does not port is the USB thumb drive you plug in to jack up the software.

That's my point. If current HSPA+ implementations don't have the backhaul to support them, it doesn't have a clear advantage over LTE.

LTE upgrade, is a backhaul upgrade and a bunch of hardware that might need to be ripped out for the next version. HSPA+ just needs the backhaul that will be needed either way. You are also forgetting the LTE battery suck problem that HSPA+ does not have.

Justinf79
Jul 6, 2011, 03:01 PM
Pretty soon Apple is going to have to call it the iPhone Air. :D

rockametrics
Jul 6, 2011, 03:04 PM

Which network you running on?

840quadra
Jul 6, 2011, 03:14 PM

Agreed.

Backwards compatibility of LTE-Advanced was one of the (albeit small) strengths that helped it become a strong candidate for 4G ratification by the ITU-R.

Not all of us. I still happily run a G3 at home for an internet browsing system. The iPhone 4 is plenty fast for me as a cell phone. ;) .

AreYouIn?
Jul 6, 2011, 03:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That mockup looks awesome.

hinchesk
Jul 6, 2011, 03:15 PM
http://www.gadgetmac.com/storage/product-images/iPhone%205%20with%20x2%20LED%20flash.jpg

I like this design but can't get past that orange lettering.

chrmjenkins
Jul 6, 2011, 03:46 PM
The backhaul upgrade for HSPA+ is the same backhaul upgrade for LTE. Much of the LTE hardware may need to be ripped out for the next version of LTE. The only part of the HSPA+ upgrade that does not port is the USB thumb drive you plug in to jack up the software.

LTE upgrade, is a backhaul upgrade and a bunch of hardware that might need to be ripped out for the next version. HSPA+ just needs the backhaul that will be needed either way. You are also forgetting the LTE battery suck problem that HSPA+ does not have.

The advantages of HSPA+ are still irrelevant when AT&T specifically doesn't update backhaul to help it along. It's clear they want it for the 4G name only. LTE, on the other hand, they've demonstrated to be in the 20 MB/s (at least in the lab), and they have actual hard numbers to compete with from Verizon for that technology. T-Mobile's faster HSPA+ isn't a threat when they can't even grow their install base, particularly when you're about to buy them anyway.

Higher LTE power consumption isn't an issue relevant to prospective iPhone users right now. When it does come (likely in the form of a 28nm process radio from Qualcomm), improvements will have been made. This radio also supports HSPA+, so theoretically one could turn off LTE and rely on 3.5G HSPA+ (i.e., best of both worlds).

enforcer
Jul 6, 2011, 04:44 PM
Lets hope it will be something more then just updated specs like A5 chip, 8mp camera. Otherwise the Android phones will already surpass the iPhone before its release in terms of hardware.

Bregalad
Jul 6, 2011, 04:48 PM
There's an iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy S II on my desk right now. They are the same thickness. The Galaxy has a significantly larger screen, but is significantly lighter because the case is plastic instead of glass and steel. Maybe the battery is smaller too.

The iPhone has better button placement, build quality, display quality, etc., but the Galaxy has me wishing Apple would make an iPhone with a larger display.

chrmjenkins
Jul 6, 2011, 04:57 PM
There's an iPhone 4 and Samsung Galaxy S II on my desk right now. They are the same thickness. The Galaxy has a significantly larger screen, but is significantly lighter because the case is plastic instead of glass and steel. Maybe the battery is smaller too.

The iPhone has better button placement, build quality, display quality, etc., but the Galaxy has me wishing Apple would make an iPhone with a larger display.

You think the iphone 4 beats the display? Pixel density, sure, but the galaxy s II should meet or beat in nearly every other metric.

skinned66
Jul 6, 2011, 06:13 PM
I personally won't be happy until its third dimension no longer exists.

ESPN
Jul 6, 2011, 06:59 PM
I like this design but can't get past that orange lettering.

I think that hits the spot, a thinner iphone without much of a redesign should look just like that.

captain kaos
Jul 6, 2011, 07:00 PM
These are all pretty valid speculations. After all, it's what's been changing throughout every successive iPhone generation.

However, I think we've reached a point where thickness is just fine. Making it any thinner will probably be ergonomically uncomfortable. I'd much rather keep it at the same thickness level as the iPhone 4 and instead use the new efficient space into implementing upgrades. In essence, I'd rather sacrifice thickness for usability. Not that the iPhone 4 is short on it, but if I were to choose, I'd probably pick, say, better battery life or an added antenna in place of thinner models.

Im with you on the size v. usability. I like the design of the 4, and i think a redesign of the back panel and front glass to create more interior space but keeping the external size to bring new tech (read battery, antenna and cpu) is the way forward.

maclaptop
Jul 6, 2011, 07:21 PM
Now that I've scrapped the idea of buying the upcoming iPhone.. the first time I have ever taken a pass on a new model... it's simply laughable.

Check this quote out from the OP:

" Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn/Hon Hai is having difficulties with yield rate on the new device due to it being "complicated and difficult to assemble."

Already Apple is paving the way with excuses why there will be problems with this new phone.

If ever there was a time that I'm flush with new smartphones it's now. I have several new Androids, a token iPhone 4 Antennagate Special... which is already quite famous....LOL

So missing this round of "upgrades" is going to be the easiest pass I've ever taken on an Apple product.

Thanks Apple... I'm actually going to save a few bucks.

captain kaos
Jul 6, 2011, 07:49 PM
I don't think the 4G/LTE thing will happen on this one;

1) due to the world being fragmented with its coverage, and we know how much apple hates fragmentation.

2) battery life. Apple wouldn't try to put in LTE with the battery tech we have these days, unless they've magically come up with an amazing new way to power these things!

3) Apple does sometimes wait for things to settle down before jumping onboard (blue ray anyone?!)

Also, have you noticed that Apple doesn't advertise cpu specs for their ipads/phones anymore? Its only us geeks that know what and A4/A5 processor is (single/dual core). I could see apple bringing out a single core cpu that runs at or near the dual core speeds but doesn't have the lesser battery life of a dual. None mac rumor people will only need to know it is "as fast" as the galaxy 2s, etc, etc, and it will sell like hot cakes with no complaint that the phone is slow.

Chance are it may be the A5, as long as they have got the same battery life as the 4, which i guess they'll get from thinner rear and front parts to make the interior bigger for the battery.

slrandall
Jul 6, 2011, 07:53 PM
Now that I've scrapped the idea of buying the upcoming iPhone.. the first time I have ever taken a pass on a new model... it's simply laughable.

" Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn/Hon Hai is having difficulties with yield rate on the new device due to it being "complicated and difficult to assemble."

Already Apple is paving the way with excuses why there will be problems with this new phone.

If ever there was a time that I'm flush with new smartphones it's now. I have several new Androids, a token iPhone 4 Antennagate Special... which is already quite famous....LOL

So missing this round of "upgrades" is going to be the easiest pass I've ever taken on an Apple product.

The phone isn't actually out yet ...

chrmjenkins
Jul 6, 2011, 07:57 PM

Yeah, because Apple would release news about an announced product through a third party to make it look like a leak, despite their reputation for prosecuting third parties for such offenses.

It's amazing that people will try and convince others to not buy a product so that they can cope with their own decision not to.

cdmoore74
Jul 6, 2011, 08:04 PM
As a Droid X user I always keep my mind open every year when it's time to upgrade. I would have bought the iphone 4 if it was released on Verizon last summer instead of this year but I find it silly to buy a 8 month old phone on a 2 year contract.
But this talk of thin and light is making me believe that iphone 5/4S will not have LTE and a larger display which are 2 features I need. I live and work in a LTE area so my next phone must have that feature. Using LTE in the store was like switching from dialup to broadband. And with the Droid Bionic getting teased left and right (big screen, dual core, LTE) it will be another year with Android unless something magical happens before the Bionic is released.
It would be incredible if Apple could fit a larger screen (4 inch), LTE, dual core, more memory with the same or better battery life in a package that's thinner and lighter. I just don't see that happening. Apple has one month to shut me up.

Reach9
Jul 6, 2011, 08:21 PM
How much more thinner and lighter is it going to get? But that will be interesting to see..

I just really hope that it has a bigger screen, between 3.5" and 4", and has a rounded edge. I don't want to get used to the ergonomically bad designed iPhone 4.

AppleScruff1
Jul 6, 2011, 09:47 PM
I wish they would just invent an invisible iPhone so people would stop worrying about what it looked like.

grapefruitx
Jul 7, 2011, 01:04 AM
you didn't get used to the thinness? i had the same issue as you but got used to it...

Why should you get used to it, or accessorise with a case/cover to make comfortable to hold, give it a nice big grippy case, fill the void with a big power cell.

Alchematron
Jul 7, 2011, 01:38 AM
If the screen size does not increase to 4.3" or more, I'm gonna be real pissed! :mad:

tombubi
Jul 7, 2011, 02:41 AM
I would rather Apple use a better spec in an iPhone than make it thinner.

maclaptop
Jul 7, 2011, 02:57 AM
Yeah, because Apple would release news about an announced product through a third party to make it look like a leak, despite their reputation for prosecuting third parties for such offenses.

It's amazing that people will try and convince others to not buy a product so that they can cope with their own decision not to.

Somehow you've either skipped reading my post, or greatly missed the point. There's no coping involved. That's for fanbois.

To me it's the opposite. I've got the ability to pass or play at any time. It's no big deal. Plus I'm not making a decision based on one measly report, that's an assumption you've chosen to make, based on guesswork.

I made my decision when it became apparent that this upcoming model will most likely be a warmed over iPhone 4.

Or, let's say that's wrong. If they move the sides of the display out to the very edge of the phone as some illustrations have shown, I don't like that either. It's just an ugly shortcut to save a chassis redesign.

So no matter what I'm happy to pass.

Plus amongst my Android collection is a shiny new Galaxy S II. Now this is a phone so ideal, it takes away my desire for a new iPhone, completely.

Hell0W0rld
Jul 7, 2011, 04:13 AM

Doesn't matter there is a minimal thinness before the device becomes uneasy to hold.

Let's pretend some years in the future apple (or any company) will be able to make devices like the Iphone as thin as a credit card, that wouldn't be very easy to hold, so in my opinion there is minimal thinness that can be reached.

torbjoern
Jul 7, 2011, 10:36 AM
How much more thinner and lighter is it going to get? But that will be interesting to see..

I just really hope that it has a bigger screen, between 3.5" and 4", and has a rounded edge. I don't want to get used to the ergonomically bad designed iPhone 4.

Down to the size of the current iPod touch would be nice.

devinci99
Jul 7, 2011, 05:05 PM
Don't mind thinner and lighter; but the current thickness is acceptable and I would rather the chasis form factor stay the same; while the internal parts shrink to make more room for more battery/power/SDHC reader... etc.

A next gen iphone with twice the battery of the current iphone4 would rock!

rovex
Jul 7, 2011, 05:09 PM
Down to the size of the current iPod touch would be nice.

I think that's gone too far, far too thin.

rovex
Jul 7, 2011, 05:13 PM
Ooh, ooh! *raising hand*

Mock-up time!

Image (http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/stoowii/iphone5.png)

Well, i'd be satisfied with that - it's a bit strange when you think about it the glass not being flush with the aluminium.

twoodcc
Jul 7, 2011, 05:23 PM
give us a bigger screen please!

torbjoern
Jul 7, 2011, 10:49 PM

Is it too thin to hold ergonomically, or is it the potentially increased fragility which concerns you?

MattInOz
Jul 7, 2011, 11:22 PM
Is it too thin to hold ergonomically, or is it the potentially increased fragility which concerns you?

What if the person meant narrower but couldn't think of the words?

torbjoern
Jul 7, 2011, 11:58 PM
What if the person meant narrower but couldn't think of the words?

Why should I even speculate in that?

rovex
Jul 8, 2011, 12:20 AM

The former predominantly, the latter isn't much (for me anyway) of a concern.

cleverman
Jul 12, 2011, 09:53 AM
hey guys,

would you know if the iPhone is released in september in the US, will it be released in september as well in Canada?

mrkramer
Jul 12, 2011, 03:07 PM
hey guys,

would you know if the iPhone is released in september in the US, will it be released in september as well in Canada?

Probably it will be, but there's no way of knowing until an official announcement.

maclaptop
Jul 12, 2011, 03:22 PM

While I certainly agree with you, it seems that Apple is like a young girl with anorexia, Apple just can't stop obsessing over getting skinnier.

Why not just cut to the chase and make one just a bit over one thousandth of an inch thick.

That ought to be good enough for at least a week. :eek: