Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
Hi All,

I just installed a new HD 7krpm 60 g Hitachi Travelstar a week ago and was very impressed with the result. Along with it is I a also upgraded the RAM to 768 mb. After dowloading free icons and screensavers from apple mac os x site last night, I noticed that the hard drive seemed nosier and the dreaded beachball appeared again-though only for a short period. Fearing I might be doing something wrong (I am a novice to computers), I readily trashed the things I downloaded. Afterwhich, I can still hear that the HD is producing continous busy sound. When I open my computer today, I notice the HD is producing continous sound.

Could anyone teach me how to clean up what I installed? I think I am not doing the right thing here. Maybe there is a process I need to do when trashing downloaded items I already copied in the Applications folder. Your help will be much appreciated.

jm2005

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Dunno if it'll help, but have you tried repairing permissions? That or using a program called Onyx, running the daily, weekly & monthly 'house cleaning' tasks?

You could also try opening the Activity Monitor: Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor. It will let you see what processes are running and the memory & CPU time they are using.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
If the noise persists, return the HD to Hitachi for replacement. You should have a warranty on it. I have their 40 gig 5400 Travelstar and it is quiet as a church mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.