Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
So I have a MBP and will be looking to get a MBA when the new one comes out whenever that maybe I am in no rush.

I am doing a research degree and have found that the MBP is a bit too heavy to be carrying around and I don't need all that power anyway.

I had toyed with idea of selling it and putting the money towards an Air but it was my first mac and I kinda have got attached to it and don't want to sell it:)

I am planning on keeping it hooked up the external display I have and using it as a desktop.

My question is this how do you guys that have 2 macs, like a imac and a notebook, use them. How can I get the best use of out 2 macs? - what is a good way to use both and how can i keep them sync'd

Many thanks
macgrl:)

Last edited:

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
For general file sharing/syncing: MobileMe/iCloud or DropBox...
For music: external hard drive (networked or not), iTunes Cloud...
For documents: see general suggestions, or possibly Google Docs

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Thank you

Definitely Dropbox. Installs one folder on each computer which you can easily put files in and sync them between machines.

Me and my girlfriend use it to send things to each other all the time; of course, you could just create folders (School, Work, Media, etc.) and put whatever files you want in there; I also use it to backup files that I use constantly. If deleted off the computer, they're deleted off ALL computers, however you can simply log onto Dropbox.com and restore it.

2 gigs is plenty for a free account as well.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
When lion hits, it'll be even easier to sync files than Dropbox wwith the new feature Airdrop. Looks like its gonna be the easiest way to share files between two Macs.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
When lion hits, it'll be even easier to sync files than Dropbox wwith the new feature Airdrop. Looks like its gonna be the easiest way to share files between two Macs.

To share files (transfer), yea. But to sync, you can't use Airdrop. Although iCloud is coming out soon so that will be used for syncing.

rustyosaurus

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
i love dropbox for syncing between multiple computers. i even shelled out $50 for more space. i use dropbox on my imac, macbook pro, ipad and android phone and i have access to all the files in my dropbox folder. i love it.

in the olden days, before i became a mac person, i used to have a dedicated folder on both my laptop and desktop that i would manually sync every so often. it was a huge pain.

dropbox fixes this nicely.

i am wondering what kind of syncing options might open up with lion and icloud. for now, i am happy with dropbox.

also, i used to use missing sync for my imac and android but the new calendar broke it and i hardly use it anymore. hoping the iphone will come to sprint soon so i can sync through icloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.