PDA

View Full Version : Dual HDMI output?

chill105
Jul 6, 2011, 12:25 PM
I'd like to drive 2 side-by-side HDTVs simultaneously with my Mac Mini. I want them to function as 2 separate monitors, and they both need HDMI input.

Has anyone tried using the HDMI output while simultaneously using a MiniDisplayPort -> HDMI adapter to drive a second HDMI display?
(FWIW I don't care about audio on the 2nd display)

Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

robbieduncan
Jul 6, 2011, 12:25 PM
That certainly should work.

alust2013
Jul 6, 2011, 12:26 PM
That'll work.

chill105
Jul 6, 2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks! that's super-helpful.

iPhisch
Jul 6, 2011, 08:16 PM
that's how I have my dell monitors set up - dual hdmi.
i know you said it doesn't matter, but yes you will only be able to select one of the tv's at a time as your audio source.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s156/aisch/b938bef6.jpg

cocacolakid
Jul 6, 2011, 10:38 PM
I have my Mini set up that way also, but have never tried the audio out on the 2nd monitor (everything is hooked up through a receiver, and since I'm just extending the display it doesn't matter about audio).

Mak47
Jul 9, 2011, 09:31 PM
That's how I'm running my two LG 22" 1080p monitors. 1 HDMI direct, the other is a direct MDP-HDMI cable. They're monitors, not TV's, so they don't run audio--I run that to a separate system directly from the audio jack. Even still, I can't imagine there would be much (if any) difference in performance in your setup.

Both screens look great, and I've had no hiccups, beachballs, slowdowns etc. I'm also running Time Machine on a firewire drive at all times.

Tulpa
Jul 9, 2011, 09:54 PM
I have my Mini set up that way also, but have never tried the audio out on the 2nd monitor (everything is hooked up through a receiver, and since I'm just extending the display it doesn't matter about audio).

Does the mDP even transmit audio? If not, there's no way you're getting audio through the mDP-HDMI adapter.

I would think that having two active audio outputs would be annoying anyway if they're not in separate rooms or something.

obsidian1200
Jul 9, 2011, 11:03 PM
Does the mDP even transmit audio? If not, there's no way you're getting audio through the mDP-HDMI adapter.

I would think that having two active audio outputs would be annoying anyway if they're not in separate rooms or something.

Considering the mDP on the macbook pros could transmit audio via an mDP-HDMI dongle, I think it's safe to say the port can transmit audio :)

Mak47
Jul 10, 2011, 01:51 AM

Never even thought about that. I've used the same cable on my MBP to an HDTV though, and it does support audio in that instance. The 2010 Mini may be different though.

It doesn't really matter in the dual monitor setup anyway. The computer is only going to push to one audio output at a time. Just hook up the standard HDMI to whichever TV gives the best audio performance and you'll be good to go.

mdgm
Jul 10, 2011, 02:10 AM
2010 Mini supports audio over Mini Display Port. The 09 Minis don't.

Also note that not all Mini Display Port to HDMI adapters support audio.